[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MTG Magic The Gathering Ask A Judge - 「 F R I D A Y I '

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 139
Thread images: 19

File: 57.jpg (46KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
57.jpg
46KB, 312x445px
Good morning and welcome to Ask A Judge!

Happily, the full Amonkhet spoiler (and the Release Notes) are out, so I should be able to PROPERLY answer questions about the new cards!
>>
are you worthy?
what do you think of cards like dark intimations that reference future cards? i think they're 10/10
>>
File: Old Venser.png (126KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Old Venser.png
126KB, 223x311px
>>52700671
If in response to a planeswalker activating an ability I bounce it back to their hand does the effect fizzle?
>>
>>52700739
>Are you worthy?
Doubt it. I'm more WUr than Grixis.

I'm a little iffy on cards that refer to SPECIFIC cards, if only because they're narrow, but I actually really like "cards that refer to stuff that's not out yet", like Tarmogoyf teasing Planeswalkers.

>>52700807
Nope! Abilities on the stack exist independent of their sources.
>>
>>52700671
New Perspectives makes the cost of cycling 0. Discarding a card is part of the cost of cycling. Does that mean that, with New Perspectives, I can cycle one card over and over? I don't think I can, but I just want to make sure.
>>
>>52700847
Release notes say no. It's formatted a bit odd, but I suppose it's intended to only cover the "not discarding" portion of the cost. The rules for Cycling might get touched up a bit to help clarify that.

I figured that was the case, since otherwise this read "If you have 7 cards in hand, and one of them has cycling, you can draw your entire library", which is waaaaaay OP.
>>
>>52700847
>>52700863
There's an example in the comprehensive rules involving scavenge that differentiates the scavenge cost and the activation cost of the scavenge ability. The scavenge cost is the mana cost, and the activation cost of the scavenge ability is the scavenge cost plus the exiling of the card in the graveyard. Are there any more details on the difference between the two?
>>
>>52701316
I don't believe there are, just that rule
>>
File: file.png (179KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
179KB, 265x370px
Does this make infinite mana with Devoted Druid or is it a nonbo like with Melira?
>>
>>52701417
I'm fairly certain it'll work fine. The reason Melira makes it a nonbo is that you literally cannot pay the cost, because you can't put the counter on the creature; it'd be like trying to pay life while you're at 0, or trying to sacrifice a creature when you have none.

With this, you can begin to pay that cost, it just gets replaced with something else. It SHOULD work, but we'll surely have clarification soon enough.
>>
>>52701354
There's a ruling that mentioned if an ability modify a keyword (cost), that means it only modify the variable cost part.
>>
>>52701570
"Rulings" mean nothing. There's a -rule- that says that, in the CR, but as far as I'm aware that's the only thing that talks about it in the CR. Largely because it explains everything you need to know- when something talks about a "Cycling cost" or a "Scavenge Cost", what it means is the variable part- the part that changes from card to card. As in, the part that isn't "discard this card" for Cycling, or "Exile this card" for Scavenge.
>>
>>52701603
But it explains exactly that. It mentions cycling cost becomes zero, and because of that rule it means the only thing that becomes zero is the mana cost, you still have to discard.
>>
>>52701647
>It mentions cycling cost becomes zero
i mean New Perspective mentions cycling cost becomes zero
>>
>>52701647
Okay, I see what you're saying now- my mistake. I was actually not aware of 702.1a until you pointed it out, and it does cover this situation, clarifying that New Perspectives makes it "0, discard a card", rather than requiring clarification in the Cycling Rules.

I misunderstood what you were asking/saying.
>>
Will As Foretold let me cast instant speed spells on the opponent's turn?

Also, bit more of an edge case here, but let's say that I attack someone, and they block one of my creatures with (let's call it) X. I then play Conspiracy, naming Zombie. Could I then cast Time to Think and exile X, because the thing it blocked is now a Zombie?
>>
>>52702329
First, there's no such thing as 'Speed' in Magic.

Second, yes. As Foretold 'works' once per turn, and that includes during your opponent's turn for Instants or spells with Flash.

Third, no. The creature in question did not "block a Zombie", it blocked a creature that later BECAME a Zombie.
>>
>>52702329
1.yes

2. Is it now a legal target?
>>
File: hiss hiss i hav snek.png (182KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
hiss hiss i hav snek.png
182KB, 265x370px
I assume that the only things that trigger the snake making are effects that say "put a -1/-1 counter". How does this interact with wither, infest, persist, and creatures that come into play with -1/-1s counters?
>>
>>52702613
It interacts with all of them. All of those (assuming 'infest' was meant to be 'infect') have you placing -1/-1 counters on things, which will trigger Lady Jafar.
>>
JUDGE

Endless Whispers and Tainted Aether are out and a creature gets sacced. Is any player forced to sac anything else other than the creature bouncing back and forth with Whispers, effectively making the game a draw? Or is any player "forced" to break the tie?
>>
>>52706442
RTFC.
>>
>>52706442
Neither. Endless Whispers doesn't bring it back immediately, it sets up a delayed trigger that'll bring it back at the beginning of the next end step. Then, at that time, it'll come back and trigger Tainted Aether, at which point the new controller will sac a creature or a land. If they sac a creature, that'll set up a new delayed trigger to bring that creature back at the beginning of the NEXT TURN'S end step, and on and on.

If it did bring the card back immediately, at some point the active player would be forced to make a different choice (when it loops back around to them) in order to advance the game, if another choice is possible to make.

Back in a while, headed home!
>>
File: metallic mimic.png (138KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
metallic mimic.png
138KB, 223x311px
Does Metallic Mimic trigger ETB effects like Wayward Servant if you choose the right creature type?
>>
>>52707637
If you choose zombo, then yes it will.
>>
>>52707637
Yep! The replacement effect kicks in before it ever enters, so it enters -as- that type.
>>
Cycling is instant speed right? Even if it's on a sorcery or a creature card?
>>
>>52708672
There's no such thing as 'speed' in Magic.

Cycling is an activated ability. As with all activated abilities (excepting those that have timing restrictions baked in like Equip, which Cycling does not), it can be activated any time you have priority, which is the same time you can cast an Instant.
>>
>>52708741
ok, thanks anon.
>>
>>52708741
Is there any particular reason you don't like the term "instant speed"?
>>
>>52708929
Because there's no such thing as 'speed' in Magic. I've seen the use of "sorcery speed" and "instant speed" lead people to think it's like Yugioh, which has "Spell Speeds".
>>
Was hoping the release notes would tell us but I don't see anything. Does "whenever you discard a card" trigger once total or once per card if you discard multiple cards at the same time?

I figure its once per card because it doesn't say "one or more cards".
>>
>>52710877
I found a Quest for the Nihil Stone ruling that agrees with this. Looks like its a trigger per card.
>>
what's the verdict on madness x pic relate? works or no?
>>
>>52711663
>If you discard a card with madness but don't cast it, Shadow of the Grave can find it in your graveyard. If you do cast that card, Shadow of the Grave can't find it in your graveyard.
>>
>>52710877
It'll trigger once per card you discarded.

>>52711663
Release Notes say that it'll find the card if you didn't cast it, but not if you did.
>>
I bought the duel deck with Jhoira and miss barbarian.

Why is snap not modern legal? Why? They reprinted it.
It was everything gifts/storm needed.
>>
>>52712481
Supplemental sets don't grant modern legality, they must pass through standard first. It's the same concept as the C16 lists not being modern legal
>>
>>52712481
Standard/Modern legality is based on expansions (and core sets). Supplemental sets (Commander, Duel Decks, Modern Masters, etc) are not regular expansions, and are not factored in for format legality, with the exception that any NEW cards in supplementals (like the Commander sets) are immediately legal in Legacy and Vintage.

Bed now!
>>
>>52712481
>It was everything gifts/storm needed
Assuming you want the deck banned, of course.
>>
Does an equipment get "unattached" if I target the already equipped creature with the equip ability? What I'm basically asking is whether a creature equipped with Grafted Wargear can sac itself if there is no other valid equip target.
>>
>>52715438
nope, you can't unequip if there's no other target.
>>
>>52700671
I'm at one life and have a Midnight Oil and Faith of the Devoted. I discard a card for an arbitrary reason. Can I spend mana on the Faith ability to gain life before midnight oil kills me?

What if I discard 2 cards and am at 2 life?
>>
>>52700671
Does exerted have any formal mechanical meaning? I want to know if I can place a exerted reminder 'token' on a permanent tapped down by a Frost Titan or something.
>>
File: how rude.png (57KB, 763x76px) Image search: [Google]
how rude.png
57KB, 763x76px
>>
File: 121.jpg (65KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
121.jpg
65KB, 312x445px
>>52700825
>I actually really like "cards that refer to stuff that's not out yet"
Will it ever be out?
>>
>>52717532
You control both cards and they trigger at the same time. You decide in which order you place them on the stack, so if you put the Faith triggers last they will resolve first, letting you gain life before Midnight oil hurts you.
>>
I have a few questions on phasing (sorry).

Is Phasing an ability that goes on the stack? If so, can I Cloudshift and/or flicker one of my creatures with Phasing to prevent it from phasing out?

Also, how does Teferi's Island interact with Phasing and the legend rule?
Like, I play Teferi's Island turn one. Turn two, Teferi's Island phases out, then I play a seccond Teferi's Island. Turn 3, the first Teferi's Island phases in and the second Teferi's Island phases out.
Are the two Teferi's Islands ever in existence at the same time, and does the legend rule trigger?
>>
>>52718171
I think they said something about it being a joke right from the beginning. But, I still have hope.
>>
>>52715438
Nope. You can't "unequip" things, you can only cause them to BECOME unequipped (protection, an effect like Carry Away that explicitly says to 'unattach'), or equip it to something else.

>>52717532
Both enchantments are yours, so you can put their triggers on the stack as you like. Meaning you can have Faith's trigger resolve and let you gain life before Oil's kills you.

If you discard 2 cards, you'd have 2 Faith triggers and 2 Oil triggers, same deal.

>>52717548
Yes, it specifically means that you CHOSE to 'exert' it as it was declared attacking. Technically you shouldn't use the Exerted reminders for anything else.

>>52718171
Prolly not.

>>52719026
Phasing does not use the stack, and cannot be responded to. It happens in your Untap Step, where nobody has priority (unless it's something like Reality Ripple, where it phases something out as an effect- you can respond to that SPELL, but not the resolution of it).

Assuming you meant Teferi's Isle, they'd never both be 'out' at the same time. As your third turn's untap step begins, the phased-in Isle would phase out simultaneously with the phased-out one phasing back in. There's never a point in this scenario where both are phased in OR out at the same time.

Also, the legend rule never 'triggers'. It's a State-Based Action that does not use the stack and cannot be responded to.
>>
File: Puffer Extract.jpg (31KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Puffer Extract.jpg
31KB, 223x310px
Does this work with vehicles to give it the +x/+x, but would I get to resolve the vehicle turning off, then puffer, allowing it to survive?
>>
>>52719922
>Prolly not
Don't break my heart gA
>>
>>52719975
No it will still get destroyed.
>>
If I target a Phantasmal Image with a Dinrova Horror, does the opponent controlling the image still need to discard a card?
>>
>>52720149
Nope.
The horror targets the image, the image puts a trigger on the stack to sack itself above the dimrova horror's ability, the image dies and the horror's ability gets countered for a lack of legal targets.
>>
>>52719975
You do not "resolve" the vehicle turning off. It doesn't use the stack. The "until end of turn" clause will apply until the CLEANUP step, which is one step later than the END step, where the Extract triggers.

Even if it became a noncreature in the meantime (maybe someone flashed in a copy of Moonjail), the delayed trigger would still destroy it. It's not "destroy that thing if it's still a creature", but "destroy this object".

>>52720149
Nope. Trigger goes to resolve, has no legal targets, none of its effects happen.
>>
I attack with a menace creature, opponent blocks with 2 creatures, i fatal push one after blockers are declared, does my creature get through?
>>
>>52723493
Nope, the creature is still blocked
>>
>>52723493
Nope. Menace, like all evasion abilities, only matters for whether or not a set of blockers is legal to -declare-. Retroactively making it an illegal block (like by killing one of two creatures blocking your Menace guy, or giving your creature Flying AFTER blocks, or removing your opponent's creature's flying AFTER it blocks) won't do anything. The block has been declared, so it's locked in- your creature is blocked for this combat, period.
>>
>>52723732
thank you
>>52723913
thank you, didnt knew about the flying blocks. I thought you can give flying as a combat trick. Is the ruling for protection the same ?
>>
>>52724336
Yep. Once a block is legally declared, the creature *stays* blocked for the rest of combat, even if the block becomes illegal afterwards (Flying, Protection, flat out 'cannot be blocked' effects, doesn't matter) or the blocker is removed.

If you want to use Jump as a combat trick, you need to cast it before blockers.
>>
>>52724389
Ok thats a big revelation thank you for that.
>>
>>52701448

Does Vizer of Remedies work with Persist, as in a creature will come in but not get a -1/-1 counter? i.e. With a sac outlet you can go infinite with Red Cap and the Vizer?
>>
>>52724969
Yep!
>>
>>52719922
>Yes, it specifically means that you CHOSE to 'exert' it as it was declared attacking. Technically you shouldn't use the Exerted reminders for anything else.

But are there any cards or interactions where that would cause confusion? I searched the spoilers (using this http://www.mtgsalvation.com/spoilers/179-amonkhet ) and I didn't see anything along the lines of 'untap all exerted creatures you control'.
>>
>>52728344
If you have a creature that causes things when exerted, and tap-without-next-untap it with some external effect (IE, not exert), you don't want to confuse yourself and think you exerted it when you didn't.
>>
If your opponent has Leyline of Sanctity and a Planeswaker out can you bolt the Planeswalker?
>>
>>52729442
You can't.
Bolt your walker is usually used as a shortcut of 'bolt you, redirect the damage to your walker'. Since you can't bolt your opponent, you can't redirect it to the walker.
>>
File: Image (2).jpg (32KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image (2).jpg
32KB, 223x310px
all theros gods are not creatures if devotion isn't enough.
does playing one trigger creature ETB effects?

For example, if i have a purphoros in play and drop another one, let's say thassa, does the ability of purphoros triggers?
does thassa enter the battlefield as a enchantment - creature and only after it becomes only an enchantment cause static effects are active only when the card is in play, thus triggering purporos' ability?
>>
>>52733456
No, if the devotion is not met, there's never any time that Theros gods is a creature on the battlefield.
>>
>>52700671
Hello, What happens if i forget to pay my pact of negation, i have 6 island. and i already draw a card.
Can i tap the 5 mana or i lose?
>>
>>52735408
You pretty much lose the game at that point.
>>
File: 1479144438272.jpg (144KB, 446x311px) Image search: [Google]
1479144438272.jpg
144KB, 446x311px
Hi, what happen to the triggered ability of a creature with monstrosity if I have Corpsejack Menace on the battlefield? For exemple, if I tap 7 forests to get Hydra Broodmaster monstrous? It gets 6 +1/+1 counters, but do I put 3 hydra tokens 3/3 on the battlefield or 6? Same with Polukranos, if I tap 7 forests, does it inflict 3 or 6 damage?
>>
>>52737712
You get 3 hydras because you determined X equals 3 then payed all associated costs for the ability. Corpse jack would only work if Broodmaster read "create a number of tokens with power and toughness equal to the number of +1/+1 counters on CARDNAME"
>>
>>52737896
Thanks!
>>
>>52700671
Could you explain spin down dice (life counters, etc.)? Asking for a friend.
>>
>>52737931
What don't you get about them?
>>
>>52738927
Bit late at this point, but: >>52737832
>>
>>52738991
A spin down dice means that for every number on the dice, it's next to the number one greater than it and the number one less than it. (Obvious exceptions for 1 and 20)
Basically, to get from N on top to N+1 or N-1 on top, you have to turn the dice just one side. It makes using the dice as a life counter easy.

In the context of your image, though, I'd imagine "spin down each die" means "decrement the shown value".
>>
>>52737931
this ->>>52739193
It's slang for the d20s that come with fat packs and prerelease boxes. People call them spindowns because the numbers are arranged in order as opposed to the orientations for a regular d20 so you can quickly "spin" them up or down for life totals.

Be aware they are also terrible for tracking life totals
>>
>>52739274
>Be aware they are also terrible for tracking life totals
Depends on if you can trust everybody at the table to not knock the table around and not hit the dice.
If there's a spaz at the table (or cheating scum), they're godawful and you need to break out the pencil and paper.
If everybody's got basic motor control, then you're in luck and they'll work fine.
>>
>>52718171
>Rigger.

Theres no way.
>>
>>52739322
pen and paper also has the added benefit of damage history tracking which helps when lifelink math or other random stuff gets messed up.
>>
>>52740386
It adds just as many chances to screw up as it does chances to fix screw ups.
I mean, if you're more responsible than your opponent then by all means yes. But my experience is that anybody who frequently fucks up life tracking will fuck it up no matter how they do it.
>>
>>52740441
Just saying, as a judge we are told to trust paper and pencil life totals over dice of any kind, period.

And heaven forbid if you just say you'll "remember" it.
>>
How does Witch-Maw Nephilim's second ability work with respect to layers? If power/toughness modifying effects are applied in Layer 7, how does the game see it in Layer 6?
>>
>>52700671
Am I right in thinking that exerting Champion of Rhonas doesn't allow you to attack with the creature you dropped that turn, assuming it can get haste?
>>
>>52742922
Yes, the declare attack phase have passed when the creature etb.
>>
>>52739322 >>52740386 I prefer using basics as counters.
Pick basic for 5, pick a basic for 1, if you're packing retarded lifegain pick a basic for 20.
(Pick from cards *not* used in your deck, obviously)

Spread them down (overlaped to save space, but spiraling out for clear counting/viewing).
Keep "unused" counters face-down in a pile.
>>
what's the correct way to template this?
>creatures with power 4 or greater have flying
>>
>>52700671
is tarmogoyf's power and toughness granted by an ability? if i cast turn to frog on my opponent's 4/5 tarmogoyf, what size will it be?
>>
File: Dem feet.jpg (24KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Dem feet.jpg
24KB, 223x310px
can i choose Legendary for Karona's ability?
>>
>>52745695
Nope, legendary is not a creature type.
>>
>>52745695
naw, legendary is a supertype. you'd need to choose a subtype like human or warrior
>>
File: 81.jpg (67KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
81.jpg
67KB, 312x445px
>>52745599
Pretty sure there isn't one, unless you meaningfully change what the ability does.

>>52745673
>is tarmogoyf's power and toughness granted by an ability?
No, by a continuous effect.
>if i cast turn to frog on my opponent's 4/5 tarmogoyf, what size will it be?
1/1, just like the card says. Turn to Frog uses the same layer, and has the newer timestamp.

>>52745695
Come back 13 years ago.
>>
>>52745820
>No, by a continuous effect.
characteristic-defining abilities, a type of statc ability
it gets scrubbed of with any other abilities goyf gained
>uses the same layerboth use layer 7, but
characteristic-defining abilities use layer 7a
and Turn To Frog uses layer 7b
even if it kept the ability (it doesn't) timestamps would not matter
>>
>>52700671
Are you happy that Bird Brain is dead?
>>
so if i activate the ability of a creature and in response the creature eats removal the ability still happens?
>>
>>52745985
Unless it gets countered for missing targets.
>>
File: Image.png (133KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Image.png
133KB, 223x311px
>>52745930
i am

>>52745985
generally yes the ability will still fire even if the source dies, but there are some exceptions like fight. for example if you activate ulvenwald tracker targetting himself and another, if the tracker dies the ability whiffs
>>
I'm trying to study to become a judge, but the judge center being unavailable is making it a bit difficult to study. Besides reading the comprehensive rules, what else should I be looking into? Are there any practice tests out there besides the judge center ones?
>>
>>52729659
Is this also the case in the combat phase?
when do you have to declare you're attacking the PW instead of the player? when attackers are declared or when the damage is done?
I've always declared it when attacking, and found it normal that the defending player chooses his/her blockers depending on that information... have I been doing it wrong?

Also another question: why do pink flamingos spend so much time on one leg?
>>
Deathtouch+trample? I swear I used to know this, I'm way out of practice.
>>
Under the current rules or meta or whatever, can you still play pauper?

I want to play but I'm only looking to have casual fun with friends and not expend a billion dolars on cards.
>>
>>52748576
You have it right, when declaring attackers you must declare if they are attacking the defending player or one of his planeswalkers. Noncombat damage dealt to players is the only thing that can be redirected to walkers he controls, I which case you declare how much you are redirecting upon the damage happening (so you can Earthquake for 5 and redirect 3 of it to Jace for example)

>>52748848
Deathtouch is a static ability that makes any damage from the source with Deathtouch lethal damage. Trample allows any excess damage after lethal damage has been assigned to "trample over" to the defending player (do note that you need to assign lethal damage to ALL blocking creatures, not just one in the event that there are multiple blockers). So Trample+Deathtouch means you can assign 1 damage to each blocker and let the rest slam the opponent. You might be confused because it worked differently when damage still used the stack.

>>52748884
Yes? There are no rules that stop you from playing pauper. It is possible to build a deck that is both pauper and modern legal (it probably won't be good though). The only time deck building rules truly matter is in sanctioned tournaments in which your deck must conform to the tournament format rules.
>>
>>52749085
Thanks. I haven't been playing long enough to have had damage on the stack, I just haven't played in half a year and I've lost some rules knowledge.
>>
>>52749085
What? No, you cannot split damage between walker or player. If you redirect the damage of a source to a planeswalker, you redirect everything or none.
>>
Because it came up in another thread earlier:
Can you ninjutsu something out after first strike damage but before the regular combat damage step?
>>
>>52718171
>>52719054
It originally was going to just be a joke that was never going to see the light of day.
Then someone at Wizards explained that joke, so Maro's made it his personal quest to have Contraptions exist.
>>
>>52750043
yes you can
>>
File: stf52_afterlife.jpg (127KB, 620x430px) Image search: [Google]
stf52_afterlife.jpg
127KB, 620x430px
>>52700671
I cast eerie interlude on Fiend Hunter, Relic Warder, and Tidehollow Sculler. When they enter, is there a way to stack their triggers such that I get a permanent exile from sculler, as well as a typical temporary one from him?
I feel like it's possible but whenever I try to map it I end up permanently exiling sculler by accident :/
>>
>>52745599

>Whenever a creature you control attacks, if it has power 4 or greater, it gains flying until end of turn.

Or if you really want something to effect it all the time (but its ugly)

>At the beginning of each combat, creatures you control with power 4 or greater gain flying until end of turn.

Or something like

{1}:Target creature with power 4 or greater gains flying until end of turn.

A static ability will indeed not work, because of layers (abilities are determined before p/t), so a triggered or activated ability is needed to make it work

>>52750361
Sure,
have them put on the stack as

>Warder(targeting sculler)
>Sculler
>Fiend-Hunter(targeting warden)

then it will go like this:

Warder exiles sculler.
Sculler return-to-hand trigger put on stack.
Sculler returns nothing to hand.
Sculler exiles from hand trigger resolves. (Permanent exile)
Fiend hunter exiling Warder resolves.
Warder-leaves-battlefield-trigger put on stack.
Warder-leaves-battlefield-trigger returns sculler.
Sculler enters, and soft-exiles a card.

End state:
One card of opponent in limbo.
Hunter on field, 'remembering' exiled warden.
sculler on field with one more card of opponent 'remembered'
>>
File: 31.jpg (53KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
31.jpg
53KB, 312x445px
Does this effect abilities activated from hand like cycling?
>>
>>52750774
>A static ability will indeed not work, because of layers (abilities are determined before p/t), so a triggered or activated ability is needed to make it work
good to know
>>
>>52750774
That's it! Thank you, for the life of me I couldn't do that correctly. I actually built this damned modern deck to get a better feel for the stack too.
>>
>>52750951
Yup, an activated ability is anything following
"<cost> : <effect>, even if its in the reminder text. so even cycling (hand), scavenge (graveyard) and outlast, and your "normal" activated abilities all cost 2 more, doesn't matter where they are.
>>
File: en_zLYhc6JTUB[1].png (143KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
en_zLYhc6JTUB[1].png
143KB, 265x370px
I'm a little unclear. The rules say

>702.28a Cycling is an activated ability that functions only while the card with cycling is in a player’s hand. “Cycling [cost]” means “[Cost], Discard this card: Draw a card.”

Does this mean that I've already discarded the card when the 'cycling' ability is on the stack? And if so, does Curator Of Mysteries's triggered ability go on top and resolve first, allowing me to scry before I draw off the trigger?
>>
>>52751728
>before I draw off the trigger

cycling ability obviously, not trigger
>>
>>52751728
You scry first before drawing from the cycling.
>>
is maze's end's tutor ability part of the win condition?
>>
>>52755044
>>then
>>
>>52755214
There is no 'then' in the ability.
But yes, to win you must activate it even if you already have all the gates on the battlefield.
>>
I'm a bit confused about naga vitalist.
If I have a forest and a cascading cataracts on the field, what colors can it make?
If i have a forest and a painted bluffs on the field, what colors can it make?
If i have a tapped forest and a painted bluffs, what colors can it make?
is it any color in all 3 cases?
>>
>>52757203
Any color.
Any color.
Any color.

Just look at what mana types the mana abilities on your lands can produce, ignore if you meet the costs to activate them.
>>
>>52757518
thanks. i figured thats how it had to work otherwise it could get really confusing
>>
If a zombie has undying and persist, what triggers when it dies?
>>
Does the legendary rule apply to different cards that have the same "name"?
If I toss down nulamog and the cheese out OG annihilator Ulamog does one die?
>>
If I have 35 health, and some guy with a triggered ability so that I gain one life every time a creature dies, what happens if I cast hellfire and it destroys 40 creatures? Do I lost all the health instantly and lose or does my dude keep me alive?
>>
>>52757611
both, assuming you control the zombie you order how the triggers gets placed on the stack
A)
Undying trigger
Persist trigger

undying trigger resolves first, returns the zombie to play with a +1/+1 counter, persist triggers resolves, goes to return the zombie to play from the graveyard but sees it's already in play so does nothing

option B)
Persist trigger
Undying trigger
persist trigger resolves first, returns the zombie to play with a -1/-1 counter, undying triggers resolves, goes to return the zombie to play from the graveyard but sees it's already in play so does nothing

>>52757630
Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre is not the same name as Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger

>>52757680
Hellfire destroys 40 creatures and triggers your ability 40 times, then deals 43 damage to you. You die before the life gain triggers resolve.

If instead you were at 6 life and activated a Bloodfire Colossus enchanted with Lifelink and 40 creatures in play you would survive because lifelink is a static ability that causes damage from the source to give you life.
>>
>>52757680
You die.
Before the triggered abilites of your guy are put on the stack, the game checks State-Based Actions, which includes checkign if somebody would need to die, you are below zero, so sadly your guy wont save you.

>>52757630
They both life, they need to have the exact same english name for legendary rule to kick in, so that includes words after the comma.
Oldmog + Newmog = fine
Newmog + Newmog = bad
Oldmog + Oldmog = bad

>>52757611
Both! then you pick the order they resolve in, the first one to resolve will bring it back, then the other will try to do something useful, but will fail to.

So if you pick the order
>Undying
>Persist

Undying will bring back your dude with a +1/+1, and then persist will not be able to bring it back anymore, because its no longer in the graveyard.
the next time it dies, (if it still has it has both undying and persist) only persist will trigger (as the creature has a +1/+1 counter "stopping" undying) , and thus will bring it back with a -1/-1 counter.
>>
>>52757932
Damn ninjas.
>>
Say I have Jhoira and start cheesing stuff out eventually.
If two suspend spells come into play at the same turn, but someone has an eidolon of rhetoric out, does only one get cast?
>>
>>52757963
yup, you will only cast one, the other is lost to oblivion.
After you remove the last counter of a suspended, you will /cast/ it without paying its mana cost (through a triggered ability).
Whether you paid the mana cost or not doesnt matter for eidolon.

(Eidelon doesnt stop you from suspending multiple cards in the same turn however)
>>
Can Thespian's Stage or Vesuva clone a legendary land under your control without being sacrificed?
>>
>>52758235
no
>>
Can Captain Sisay fetch those old legendary Kimagawa flip cards like Bushi Tenderfoot?
>>
>>52758432
No, in your library they have the "unflipped" characteristics, so tenderfoot is not a legendary card in your library, thus Sisay cannot find it.

If the unflipped half is legendary, Sisay can find it, so it does work for Erayo for example.
>>
Does Yeva let me flash in Bestow creatures as auras?
>>
>>52759997
no, you cast the bestow as an aura, not as a creature.
There's a similar example on the gatherer for any creature with Bestow:
"bilities that affect when you can cast a spell, such as flash, will apply to the spell after you've made this choice. For example, an effect that said you can cast creature spells as though they have flash won’t allow you to cast a creature card with bestow as an Aura spell anytime you could cast an instant, but one that said you can cast Aura spells as though they have flash will."
Thread posts: 139
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.