[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"Modern day/sci-fi by way of pure magic, and with primarily

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

File: 7448b5331f9c7eed2e5c08451ccc0f81.jpg (125KB, 1200x649px) Image search: [Google]
7448b5331f9c7eed2e5c08451ccc0f81.jpg
125KB, 1200x649px
Would anyone know of any settings that could be described as "modern day/sci-fi by way of pure magic, with primarily fantasy trappings"?

I am looking for settings where the mundane technology level is, at best, late 18th century. However, magical talents and magical items are so advanced that people are living in a modern day or sci-fi society.

The key here is I am looking for primarily fantasy trappings. I do not like Shadowrun's mainly cyberpunkish near-sci-fi trappings, and something like Final Fantasy XV leans too much towards outright "modern day" trappings. Trappings are key for setting a tone. Does anyone have suggestions for something like this? For example, here are some ideas I have been considering:

• People use bracelets, rings, and bulkier stationary crystals that produce holographic interfaces by means of interactive illusion. Through potent divinatory magics, these connect with similar items and act as internet-capable smartphones and computers.

• People carry figurines that can transform and un-transform into pegasi, griffons, wyverns, and other aerial steeds. These act as the equivalent of motorcycles. People also carry figurines that transform and un-transform into "cloud ray pups," telekinetic, flying manta rays of great size; they create telekinetic domes around passengers and also create telekinetic seats and cushions.

• The equivalent of airplanes and space ships are spelljammer-like Age of Sail ships, outfitted with potent force shields and mystic cannons.

• Advanced magical techniques facilitate bio-augmentations, cloning, body switches, mind transfers, genetic engineering, and similar feats of transhumanism. Just like in D&D 3.X.

• Much like the Society of Sensation in Planescape, people can upload their memories into "sensory stones/recorder stones" and share those exact memories with others. Recording videos has never been the same. People can also create artificial and/or interactive memories, like whole virtual worlds.
>>
The Trails games are "mid 20th century aesthetic with magic powered everything to justify advanced tech".

So in Trails of Coldsteel the industrialised empire has magic powered trains, internet, mobile phones which are also spellcasting implements, tanks, motorbikes and mechs.

Trails in the Sky has a cute pastoral fantasy nation with modern style domestic air travel, construction vehicles, telephones and a modern air force.

The war hero of legend was not only the greatest swordsman but also invented airborne warfare doctrine and they won their war against the evil empire by spamming magitech Hind Ds.
>>
>>52663075

Mid-20th century in terms of trappings is a bit too far from what I am looking for.
>>
>>52662681
Discworld? They got pretty hi-magitech like quick-drawing demon "cameras" and were getting close to portable phones
>>
>>52662681
Exalted's First Age as described in second edition was close to what you are describing.It had many modern day conveniences made possible by magic and mystical artifice, including flying vehicles, automatic crop farming, eugenics and biomanipulation, giant robots and flying fortresses, Internet and Ais, hard light/illusory constructs, terrifying superweapons, power armors etc. It is not quite a full setting and more of a facet of bigger one but it's there. Also, I didn't read it myself but from what I've heard it is widely regard as badly written and a huge mess mechanically, sadly. Third edition is going to have a much less defined First Age... which means you could probably describe it as such if that is what you like.
>>
File: 5523e9a90daf6a679d716cf64369011b.png (1016KB, 687x900px) Image search: [Google]
5523e9a90daf6a679d716cf64369011b.png
1016KB, 687x900px
>>52664951

It is not quite a fully fleshed-out setting, unfortunately, which is what I am looking for.

I am not entirely sure why the kind of setting and trappings described in the opening post are seemingly so rare. They definitely seem like something at least a dozen other authors would have already written, and yet it rarely appears. Why do you think this to be the case?
>>
>>52665183
>Why do you think this to be the case?
Because it is really specific. It's not exactly magitech/magical technology but magic used to emulate technology. Mundane technology has to be XVIII century at best. It has to be like modern day or future. It has to have transhumanism. Most settings do not include some of those or go to different lengths while portraying them.
>>
>>52665183
Because it's a crap idea and would make for a shit setting.
>>
>>52667024

>It has to have transhumanism.

All post-2e editions of D&D (and even 2e itself) have a frightening amount of transhumanist elements to them.

>>52667218

What makes you think such a thing?
>>
>>52667334
What you're looking for is Log Horizon.

Enjoy your mediocre setting, pointless plot, and meaningless developments.
>>
>>52667564
Log Horizon is an MMO though.
>>
>>52668158
Its also a high fantasy magi tech setting with pointless stuff handed restrictions.

It's what you're looking for, just with a different color of gift wrapping.
>>
>>52668463
Most of the "tech" was just the MMO mechanics.
>>
>>52668519
Yeah, explained away in the setting as magic. Instant communication, transmutation of energy to matter and back again, reincarnation, teleportation, magical power armor, etc etc.

It's exactly what you want. It even has 18-19th century tech in the form of simple steam engines.
>>
>>52667334
not that guy, but it's really bland. It doesn't have strong visual aesthetic, it feels like modern inventions lazily stapled to standard medieval fantasy (with an excuse of "magic, ain't gonna explain shit") and it tends to ignore technological developments too much for it to be believable.
>>
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha has got you senpai. Not sure if the dude who slots his intelligent item magic wand/smartphone combo into a literal attack helicopter to make it function is too modern, though.
>>
File: 4ace4e8d85bb84655339d6454d2e8a1e.jpg (764KB, 2032x2992px) Image search: [Google]
4ace4e8d85bb84655339d6454d2e8a1e.jpg
764KB, 2032x2992px
>>52668611

Outright "modern day with magic" is arguably just as bland, being "actual modern inventions lazily stapled with magic in the background," and yet that is one of the more popular aesthetics.

That said, I personally do not think a milieu of illusion/divination-based holographic smartphones and computers, figurines of wondrous power providing aerial mounts and mass transportation, the usual airships and Spelljammer/Treasure Planet-style spacefaring wooden ships, and memory uploads would be particularly bland.

>>52668643

Nanoha is very much primarily modern day or primarily sci-fi in trappings, not so much fantasy. It would hardly meet the qualifications in the opening post.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.