[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's a good name for Fantasy Netherlands? I'm ok

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 7

File: 283840-svetik.jpg (977KB, 1920x1285px) Image search: [Google]
283840-svetik.jpg
977KB, 1920x1285px
What's a good name for Fantasy Netherlands?
I'm ok with cities and NPCs, but I suck at naming kingdoms.
Hard mode: it has to be very easy to remember for a group of players already overwhelmed with ploot hooks, companions and minor nobles.
>>
>>52657532
Kingdom of Aardreus.
>>
>>52657532
>Netherlands
Mecca?
>>
>>52657585

Sounds nice, but I named a town Aardenberg already. Could be a little confusing considering it's not even the capital.

Setting is not original enough to be worth giving more details, just keep in mind we're talking XII century/ very early Hansa stuff.
>>
>>52657532

Vlakland
Oeverland
Smoutland
>>
>>52657532
Arva (latin for coutryside, plowed fields or *lowlands*, Netherlands=Lowlands)
>>
>>52657532
The Kingdom of Orange
Dominion of Ollverand
Principality of Dradamste
Duchy of Fandlers
Kingdom of Auge
>>
Unterreich
>>
>>52657613

Wrong, Muslims are welcome in Mecca.
>>
>>52657692
A little too obvious, but decent town material nonetheless.

>>52657672
Sounds too much like Arda, and they all know what Arda is I guess.

>>52657723
Nice try

>>52657667
I don't know about the 'land' thing, I always go with that when taking notes, but then I say it out loud and it sounds lazy as fuck.
>>
>>52657532
The Upperlands.
>>
>>52657532
Below-Place.
Low Kingdoms
Not So High Lands
>>
Dijksvint
Watershold
#420blazeVille
>>
>>52657532
Dorkennsukenn
>>
>>52657532

Just call it what it used to be called in the way old days, like Frisia or something.
>>
>>52657532
Spain
>>
Gelvaalen
>>
>>52657532
Batavian Republic.

Generally if you want cheap knock-off Europe names, use the ones from Dungeon Defense.

>>52657833
Is it supposed to be a secret Netherlands? Is this gonna be some kind of surprise where you go "It was Holland! It was Holland all along!" and your players are shocked?

Then take the name from the Cananefates or the Chamavi.
>>
>>52657833
You could take the Roman name for the region, Belgia, and twist around a little. Belsia or Besgia, which don't resemble the words you're trying to avoid.

>>52660118
This one is my favorite so far
>>
>>52657532
Zeerijk
>>
File: Moorhijm.png (64KB, 889x531px) Image search: [Google]
Moorhijm.png
64KB, 889x531px
This is a comedy setting, so use the names at your own discretion
>>
>>52657532
Voordendamsladt
>>
>>52657833
If there's any country that should end in -land it's fantasy netherlands. Its distinguishing feature is that its ground is low. Are the lands nether? You're in the Netherlands.
>>
File: klompen meisje.jpg (657KB, 598x850px) Image search: [Google]
klompen meisje.jpg
657KB, 598x850px
>>
>>52662803
>Verlamdhond
>Paralysed dog

Mean!
>>
>>52657532
Regnum Flevius
>>
>>52657532
My generic Woody vaugly north European nation is called Grossenfelt
>>
Westerland with the capital Marienburg.
>>
>>52663760
hue hue
>>
>>52663730
The netherlands aren't woody bro, they are watery.
>>
>>52663790
They're just one step away from being underwatery.
>>
>>52663790
They're not vaguely north European either.
>>
>>52663790
There's a lot of forests as well, but most is uninteresting marshlands and just flat-ass swampy muddy grasslands

The forests aren't all that wild though, it's a very densely populated country
>>
>>52664042
Most forests in the Netherlands are pretty modern. Only the Veluwe is quite old, thats why they are boring.
>>
>>52657532
You could play on the old name of the Netherlands, which is based on it being the first republic of Europe since the romans:

United provinces of Boswaria something like that
Not that good with naming things, but I think it could be interesting for diplomacy to throw that in there, would be flattering as well to me as a Dutch person if somewone would go so in-depth with the name
Although I'm already flattered that someone would even try to use the country
What kind of land will it be?
>>
>>52664069
This is absolutely true, but still, it's a lot of forests in the country
And that shit in Limburg, forests on top of literal coaldumps how does that even fucking work

The marshyness of the Netherlands is way more defining, ut to say there's no forests (or not many) would be untrue
>>
>>52663707
Once upon a time, there lived a guy who bought a puppy who was paralysed. Once he went to take a swim in a pond and left the puppy on the bank, but hit his head on a carp while swimming and drowned. People saw the dog lying next to the pond and thought that it was waiting for its dead owner out of incredible loyalty. They fed it until it died, by which point a settlement grew around it.
>>
>>52664502
Once upon a time, there lived a guy who bought a paralysed puppy.
He went to take a swim in a pond and left the puppy on the bank,
but he hit his head on a carp drowned and sank. People saw the dog lying next to the pond and thought that it was waiting for its dead owner out of incredible loyalty.
They fed it until it died,
by which point a settlement grew around it.

something like that
>>
>>52657532
Kankerland
>>
>>52661105
Not really, but since my setting is definitely not Europe it was my idea not to make it painfully obvious. I'm using Netherlands because the starting kingdom for the campain is roughly at the same latitude as Northen Europe (but we're in the Southern Emisphere, so turn everything upside down) and the climatic conditions are the same as Holland. Plus, one of the party members is a noble with a Van in his name, and I started building from that. I feel like using historical or not!historical names without changing them even a bit could misguide the players in thinking this is in fact Europe, when it's not.

>>52663047
That's the thing, this place is much bigger than Netherlands. Think about early medieval France, with just the upper portion of it being low and the rest being a generic rainy/farmable country. The low part is more important because it's on the coast, with trade and all that. But you can't use "mountainland" for a place that's over 70% grassland, if you know what I mean. Even if the capital is on the top of a mountain.
>>
Atlantis
>>
>>52657748
Only the right sort of muslims. The others are tolerated at best.
>>
File: ORANGE-centreville_aerienne.jpg (682KB, 1920x1117px) Image search: [Google]
ORANGE-centreville_aerienne.jpg
682KB, 1920x1117px
>>52657692
>The Kingdom of Orange
>>
>>52665448
You can always use Coastlands, or lowlands, Riverlands or something.
>>
File: hoezee.jpg (84KB, 1024x679px) Image search: [Google]
hoezee.jpg
84KB, 1024x679px
Nederland, neuk ja!

Driewerf hoera!

Srsly though. Fantasy Netherlands is awesome, especially Fantasy Golden Age united provinces.
>>
>>52665448
Surely if this isn't Europe, you'll have other elements that are clearly non-European anyway though?
>>
>>52657532

Low Countries.
>>
>>52657532
Fendlund
>>
>>52657532
Combine it with Australia and make it the Underlands.
>>
>>52657532
United Cities.
Crib halfling city names from aow1
>>
>>52665448
Call it Pecunis. For money. Because of the trading.
>>
>>52662803
>Kabouterland
>Wesleystad
>Zuipland
>>
>>52657532
Doorenpolder
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.