[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some great systems that /tg/ never talks about? Why

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 333
Thread images: 51

File: 1491186360293.jpg (47KB, 439x286px) Image search: [Google]
1491186360293.jpg
47KB, 439x286px
What are some great systems that /tg/ never talks about? Why do you think they're great?
>>
File: 158239.png (2MB, 893x1156px) Image search: [Google]
158239.png
2MB, 893x1156px
>>52630621
Is it okay if /tg/ never talks about it, by I try to? Constantly.

And it's also not that great, when I think about it.

I just really like it as a base for brewing.
>>
File: fury road.jpg (179KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
fury road.jpg
179KB, 1024x576px
>>52630621
Atomic Highway is a free post-apocalyptic roleplaying game with a focus on vehicle combat and has a kind of action-movie feel to it.
It has an interesting mechanic I haven't seen before.

Also it's free on drivetrhurpg.
>>
File: Mini_Six_Bare_Bones_Edition.pdf (6MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Mini_Six_Bare_Bones_Edition.pdf
6MB, 1x1px
Mini Six. I always see it mentioned but never really discussed. It's a great rules-light system if you're looking for something with actual crunch, plus you can port almost everything from West End Games' D6 system if you're missing anything.

>>52630790
It's a shame the game only invites memeposters, I'd like to give it a shot just once.
>>
>>52631492
If I had the time and the dedication, I'd totally run it online.

Sadly, I either lack one or the other basically constantly.

Maybe I should try running it on a forum, no hurry there (usually).
>>
File: share_icon.jpg (253KB, 1200x630px) Image search: [Google]
share_icon.jpg
253KB, 1200x630px
>>52630621
I feel like Golden Sky Stories doesn't get enough mention. I mean, it's a non-combat rpg that's basically the pic-related of tabletop. The premise is that catgirls, dogboys, lizardkids, etc can transform into humans and want to make friends with everyone. It's the kind of fluffy, comfy setting that would pass through the 4kids censors unscathed if it were a show.
>>
>>52631514
Actually, I know of a good piece of free software designed for Play-By-Mail rpg stuff. It's basically a grid map that lets you export a file or a screenshot with a single click, making it easy to run grid combat, which I believe is the forte of Strike!
>>
>>52631626
That sounds pretty great, yeah. What's it called?
>>
>>52631673
https://cyberboard.brainiac.com
>>
>>52631847
Thanks! I'll check this when I get home.
>>
>>52631553
That sounds real fucking boring. Why would I want to sit around a table with my friends and pretend to make friends with some furries?
>>
>>52632215
So is the premise of Animal Crossing. It's still one of the most enjoyable and relaxing games out there.
>>
>>52632269
I don't get that either, except if small children play it.
It's just really not my thing, and I guess that applies to more fa/tg/uys, thus no thread.
>>
>>52630621
who would have guessed that a thread about undiscussed games would die after three games?
>>
Dungeon crawl classics, i dont know why its never mentioned in OSR. I have enjoyed is supremely over AD&D which I ran for 10 years.

The magic system is phenominal and all my players say it keeps magic fresh and makes spell casting much more indepth then just managing spell slots.
Warriors and Dwarves use a system called Herioc Deeds of Arms where they roll a D3 along side their normal d20. They can declare a deed such as kicking an enemy to move them one space, disarm them, or blind them and it works as long as you hit and the D3 rolls a 3.
I had a dwarf jump onto a statue of Lady luck and kick a kobold wizard in the chest off the base of the statue. He lept off and came down with his pitchfork.
Later in that same encounter, once the party had moved all 20 of their characters into a mine to run away from the unending tide of kobolds. A Warrior ran up and slammed his body into a support beam that kept the mouth of the mine open. The cave mouth collapsed onto some kobolds.
I love that I dont have to calculate xp for every kobold killed, since i had the kobolds on an infinite spawn that increased by D6 every D4 rounds. I just gave them 4 XP which is a lot since a balanced encounter is 2.
Cont.
>>
>>52631553
God I love the look and feel of GSS. Though I'll probably never get a real chance to play it..
>>
>>52633437
At the end of the mine, the players found a giant monolith covered in a primordial version of common that talked about ghe multiverse and of a giant manta-ray ship called the Spell Jammer. One player thought this monolith would open a portal to another world. Ut technically did but something came out of it first, which was a 20 foot tall floating man, with stone grey skin, a lamprey mouth, one eye and square horns. It proceeded to fuck the party, which was at 8 people at this point. It shot purple lightning out of its hands and had AC25. It had shot the entire room into space preventing them from leaving. They figured out that the crystals I had spawning and despawning had something to do with this creature and started to smash them which had great effect on it and caused it to rapidly age. They destroyed one round of crystals, which stopped it from flying and shooting lazers but it started to claw them and rolling a d24 to do so. It had critted one player and richochetted them off the ground and 120' out into space. As the party was now down to three characters, the party Cleric prayed to his god, Bobugbubilz Demon Prince of Amphibians, and it turned him into a giant frog for the rest of the day. The crewtures legs rotted off and it started to crawl towards characters, slashing at them with its horrifying claws still after theh destroyed more crystals. The final blow came and the room slowly fell back to the planet by magical means. The creature left behind two of its claws that act as swords and give +d3 to initiative and its eye witch can teach the spell summon familiar to summon the eye as a familiar or it can be mounted onto a special crown with effects unknown by the players.

This is all of course supported by super simple rules that are easy to homebrew and balance but yet are still by deseign super flavorfull.
>>
bumping this piece of shit
>>
bumping your thread again.
>>
>>52633437
As far as I know (and don't quote me on this) DCC gets a bad rep in the OSR for breaking away from a bunch of OSR staples, and also, the weird dice.

I enjoy it a lot when I play, and am in the middle of a mini-campaign.

>>52631847
I checked. It looks... ugly? But I only took a cursory glance. Thanks anyway, worst case scenario, I'll develop something of my own.
>>
Ironclaw
>>
File: images (53).jpg (25KB, 337x437px) Image search: [Google]
images (53).jpg
25KB, 337x437px
Has anyone here played Fanatasy AGE? I don't see it discussed. One of my players starting to GM it for me because they were too intimidated to go straight into running a D&D game. Seems like a pretty fun system so far.
>>
Unisystem, classic specifically. It cant do everything as a general system, but it can do quite a lot imo.
Ops and Tactics is fun for what it is, gets a general every now and again though.
Lots of the smaller games like Dont Rest Your Head and The Farm which are awesome (especially The Farm).
I'd bet lots of money that if Legend of The Wulin was successful and properly edited it would have a regular general on here. So very awesome.
>>
Ars Magica. It's a good system with knights and peasants and magic why does nobody play it
>>
/tg/ is a bunch of grumpy old grognards who hate storygames on principle for no fucking reason. FATE/GUMSHOE/PbtA are the holy trinity of incredible game systems but the most you get about any of them is retards yelling about Dungeon World.
>>
>>52641540

Dungeon World got a fair bit of love for about a year there, but then the worm turned and now the chorus shouts that it's irredeemably shit anytime it comes up.
But generally, you're right.
>>
>>52631492
Absolutely horrible system. Terribly formatted, the stat system is stupid, and Charm is a fucking dump stat through and through. It'd be like GURPS having Charisma as +/- 20 character points.

No autofire rules, the shitty reroll/luck points are just autistic, and the character creation numbers are arbitrary and lack balance.

The damage system also sucks ass and balls, no one wants to track "slightly wounded" or "slightly more wounded", just use fucking hit points already. The arbitrary rules-y effects for each wound level smack of D&D 3.5 and make the whole wound level thing almost pointless, because why have it if it doesn't reduce bookkeeping?

Also equally matched combatants hit each other >50% of the time due to the autistic Dodge calculations so it ends up like GURPS 3e, where you essentially have an auto-hit fest. Especially at higher tiers of play where the high numebrs of d6 make the rolls more "centralized"

The magic rules are puerile, uninspired crap with useless moon runes tacked on for some retarded fucking reason.

The vehicle system is garbage, but then most vehicle systems are. Fucking d20 Modern had a better vehicle system than MiniSix or Savage Worlds.

Also the scope of play is vastly different as a 2d6 is a completely different league than 1d6, and less so with 3d6 vs 1d6. It's like 6th level v.s. 1st level. There's almost no point to even rolling. If you understand logarithms you understand the issue here, and the issue with all dice pool systems.

Overall, a shitty 3/10 game. Only got a scond look cause it was based on d6 open.
>>
File: IMG_8642.jpg (42KB, 386x500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8642.jpg
42KB, 386x500px
>>52630621
Myfarog is excellent for simulationist fantasy.
>>
>>52630621

I've been a huge fan of Don't Rest Your Head since it was briefly popular here several years ago.
I love both the setting and the way its enforced mechanically in the dice pools.
Its problem is that its not well suited to actual groups, and there is a lot of GM skill involved in ramping the game up properly, or it falls quite flat. I still love it though.
>>
>>52641851
We talk about Myfarog all the time, and usually the thread gets derailed talking about Varg and /pol/
>>
>>52641621

Dungeon World /is/ shit, but there are so many other good PbtA games out there - Urban Shadows, Monsterhearts, Masks - that it breaks my heart to see /tg/ shit itself whenever anything at all storygame comes up.
>>
>>52641851
I read the pdf. it was awful
>>
File: ss+(2015-12-23+at+05.33.24).png (3MB, 848x1200px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2015-12-23+at+05.33.24).png
3MB, 848x1200px
>>52630621
Degenesis looks and sounds pretty interesting

I still have no fucking idea how it's played though
>>
File: GURPS.png (491KB, 403x538px) Image search: [Google]
GURPS.png
491KB, 403x538px
>>52630621

Join us.
>>
>>52641910
I always wanted to play this, it seems so cool.

I wish the Unknown Armies threads around here weren't such a crapshoot. Seems like every couple of months when one pops up it either sticks around for a week or fizzles out after an hour or two. I'm pretty sure they're only kept alive by the same 10-15 people and we're running out of stuff to talk about.
>>
>>52630621
Legend, the d20 one. It's like what I expected 4E to be when it was first announced, but even better. Too bad it'll never be finished.
>>
File: rpghc-preview-1.jpg (452KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
rpghc-preview-1.jpg
452KB, 800x800px
Mouse Guard is a simple d6 system where we play heroic mice who have all odds stacked against them, and I like everything about it. It's the single most fun system I've ever GM'd.

The character creation system is also a backstory generator that everybody goes through together and is engaging. The simple mechanics make improvisation easier. Several mechanics are in place to encourage role-playing flawed characters who sometimes get things wrong and learn from their mistakes while trying to stick to deeply rooted convictions even when they're challenged.

And the conflict system is my favorite part. Again, it's so simple that it fits several situations. We've done chases, arguments, boat building, traveling and, of course, combat using the same ruleset, but it is different, creative and engaging every single time.

I suppose it doesn't get much discussion because there isn't much depth? Some the funniest /tg/ threads are about mechanics, and the mechanics in this are in place to take a backseat to role-playing and nothing more.
>>
I always felt with a little bit of home brewing to fix the mechanics that this was a fantastic system desu, for sure needs more love.
>>
>>52641508
I played in a very successful campaign that ran for something like 2 years, set in the Iberian Tribunal.

I just don't have the time and inclination to deal with a dozen excel spreadsheets anymore.
>>
>>52633437

I've been bouncing back and forth between this and Lamentations for an upcoming oneshot for my group.

DCC captures a mood that I really like, while Lamentations has some really good adventures from what I hear.
>>
Has anyone played the new Paranoia system? I made a home-brew system based off of what I assumed Paranoia would be like, but I haven't seen the finished product yet.

Because everyone seems to love the Paranoia system I've been running. It's super easy and competitive and really encourages scheming and backstabbing.
>>
>>52638462
Yes the dice was a hard sell for my group but once they started to use them they understood and liked them. I still think its a bit wonky but I understand it and enjoy it. The OSR mold was alright but you might as well have just played AD&D which I found limiting and my books The Demon grabbing the women DMs guide and the Demon statue holding the cauldron players hand book were extremely poorly formatted and made flipping through the books terrible.

>>52643600
I too really love Lamentations adventures, The God that Crawls is fantastic. That being said I read a lot of their adventures and port the ideas into DCC. It isn't hard to homebrew for DCC as I've said and I would honestly recommend just using a fine mesh of both.
>>
File: 1316982552232.jpg (109KB, 300x423px) Image search: [Google]
1316982552232.jpg
109KB, 300x423px
Picrelated
name is Nechronica the long long sequel

Undead little girls in a post-apocalyptic setting.

Made by the guy who made Maid RPG.
>>
>>52630621
I would say Savage Worlds. I feel it fully lives up to its designers mantra of fast, furious, and fun without the crunch slowing things down. While it is a matter of some contention I actually like the whole important characters get the ability to take multiple wounds and a wild die thing but then again I prefer my adventures pulpy which I feel SW does excellently.

Also I really dig the Deadlands Noir and Low Life settings.
>>
>>52643722
I'm a long term Paranoia GM, and I'm completely not hyped for the new system. It looks supremely zappy, and the cards look like they'll remove a lot of the creativity players usually come up with.

Short summary of your homebrewed system?
>>
>>52641540
There's been more than a few Fate threads in the past that have actually had a good amount more signal than noise.

I actually used to hate it but some of the anons in those threads actually managed to change my mind about the system. FAE is now my go-to system for campaigns I'm unsure of what system to use, one shots, and short campaigns.
>>
>>52643821

>"Sir, why are the undead all little girls?"
>"Why not?"
>"..."
>>
>>52638462

>DCC gets a bad rep in the OSR for breaking away from a bunch of OSR staples

I only know a little bit about OSR games. Does anyone know what sorts of staples did it broke?
>>
ITT: Newfags reveal their newfaggotry.
>>
>>52643972
Mostly the dice set, it's wonky but it makes sense. I can't really see anything else. I would say it is a good retroclone that broke the mold in the right way and in any aspect but I would like to hear another opinion on the subject.
>>
Savage Worlds. It's not as robust as GURPS, but it's also nowhere near as autistic, and it never descends into the weird wishy-washy stuff that Fate does.
>>
>>52643965
>>"Sir, why are the undead all little girls?"
>>"Well, some are actually boys."
>>
File: schwarzes-auge.png (49KB, 425x243px) Image search: [Google]
schwarzes-auge.png
49KB, 425x243px
>>52630621
>DSA
Incredible detailed and rich metaplot with a system that allows for modular rulesets. Play it quick and easy with just the barebone of the rules or eat tons of crunch and transformate the system into a medieval fantasy simulation. It features low fantasy with mages that aren't broken or overpowered and focuses heavy on roleplay instead of "looting epic dungeons xD" all day.

It feels down to earth and the metaplot is just so rich of details that it actually feels like a living and breathing world. Sadly that invites a lot of elitism.
>>
>>52642079
You can't really say a system that has a consistent general is something /tg/ never talks about.
>>
>>52644501
>It features low fantasy with mages that aren't broken or overpowered and focuses heavy on roleplay instead of "looting epic dungeons xD" all day.

Why do people always tout this as a strength of their system? More games do this than don't do this. It's like those political think pieces where the author touts an opinion that everyone agrees with as though nobody agrees with him.

Frankly I find it disturbing and vaguely pathetic that so many gamers seem to define their tastes by disliking D&D than what they actually like.
>>
D&D 4e

It's actually really good.
>>
>>52644501
DSA is clunky as fuck and has one of the most time-consuming chargens I have ever seen.

It's got some good parts, but even the bare bones leave you with a four-page character sheet. And that's if you don't play a mage.
>>
>>52643830
My system also uses cards and they fall into four categories.

Mutant Abilities: Every player starts the game with one of these. When you play these cards you do not have to reveal them or discard them

Item Cards: These cards are generally given throughout a campaign, but your character will probably start out with a card for their phaser and one tool. Playing these cards usually involves taking out and using the item so they often have lower initiatives. You do not have to discard these cards when you play them

Action Cards: These cards are given out throughout a session. You discard these cards when you play them with the exception of your default action card which you keep throughout the campaign. Default actions include anything that your character can accomplish within a few seconds. Driving half a block, hitting someone with a pipe, or trying to sneak from behind one piece of furniture to another. Other action cards usually allow you to do more impressive things like take two default actions, take a default action at a higher initiative, or deal extra damage with an attack.

Event Cards: These are mixed into the same deck as action cards, but they must be shown to the table when they are played. A lot of even cards have an R for initiative, meaning that they can be played at any point in any scene. The ones that do have initiatives usually include an action that your character takes to react to the event.

Some cards will give you a marked advantage in combat, especially if you can start the combat. So you might be itching to start a fight. Other cards might make you very hard to hit. Some event cards make you a very good ally, but not particularly good at fighting. One particular card is essentially a nuclear bomb that will immediately change any fight into flight. So you can always hint that you have that card if you're worries about being attacked.
>>
>>52630621
Burning Wheel, Burning Empires, Nobilis, Morrow Project, Blue Planet, Hot City / Cold War.

I would honestly run any of those at the drop of a hat, and I've offered to before, but I don't get players for them. Easily 90% of people are just looking for some subset of D&D et al., WoD et al., Shadowrun, and/or Dark Heresy.
>>
>>52642553
I've seen it pop up here and there. What exactly is this conflict system?
>>
>>52644577
Because D&D is a bad example of roleplaying. Certain systems just give more option for that and encourage roleplaying a lot more. You can easily tell that D&D offers detailed combat rules that are mostly fun but lacks depth in everything else.

The rest is your interpretation and your personal opinion.

>>52644633
It's not really complex in its barebone form. Additional rules from additional publications add the detailed simulation. The chargen is more timeconsuming because you are supposed to actually make a character that you'd like to roleplay and that doesn't have to be necessarily perfect. For that reason there exist a lot more choices that aren't too important to the actual game mechanic.
>>
>>52644640
At the beginning of every round of combat anyone who is in the scene should play one card with a number for initiative (no Rs). GM counts down from 10 to 0 and the cards are resolved in order. You can delay by 3 (for instance, resolving a card with initiative 7 on initiative 4) to get two extra dice to your dice pool. Anyone can play an R card at any time for or against anyone in the combat, even if they (the person playing the card) aren't in the combat.
>>
Dungeons, The Dragoning: 40k 7th edition. About to start running a game for some friends, super excited
>>
I don't see Savage Worlds discussed here very often.
>>
>>52632269

I'd rather just play animal crossing and invite my friends to my town than play an autistic rpg.
>>
>>52630621
Burning Wheel!
The combat is cool and fluid, the skill system is use-advancing, the character creation makes sense.
>>
>>52644688
>Because D&D is a bad example of roleplaying.
>You can easily tell that D&D offers detailed combat rules that are mostly fun but lacks depth in everything else.

t. hipster who never played any edition but 3.5
>>
>>52644649
I would play Burning Wheel with you anon
>>
>>52640925

It's alright. Dunno how to feel after forever dming 4e to go in a almost combat-less campaign.

Mages are still the strongest, until they come into range of my axe that is
>>
>>52645062
seconding that, i would really like to play this game
>>
>>52630621
Any of the ORE games, /tg/ never talks aboiut them for long because everyone who plays them agrees that they like it and have fun then the thread dies from lack of controversy.
>>
File: 1489950329704.png (51KB, 246x270px) Image search: [Google]
1489950329704.png
51KB, 246x270px
>>52643821
I found the pdf for this after you suggested it and it looks cool as fuck.
I love guro (In a non-sexual kind of way.) and lolis so it is like this setting was tailor made for me.
That being said I still have no idea how to play because there isn't a single stat in the book.
Is there anywhere where the rules are more clearly spelled out or this one of those story telling games where the GM just decides eveything?
>>
>>52644653
I don't know how much of it is a carbon copy of Burning Wheel, which it is based on, so I'll just describe it.

First GM and players split into two opposing teams and each write down conflict goals, what each side wants to accomplish. Then we use the appropriate skill to roll Disposition, the equivalent to health. You want to get your opponent's Disposition to zero in order to win and you don't want to lose much of yours, because even if you win and accomplish your goal you have to reach a compromise with an opponent that damaged you Disposition too much - he should not accomplish his goal, but he gets close, or complications arise. It's a system that gives a lot of room for creativity in conflict resolution. Disposition is nice because it's just a number and it can represent several things.

The real highlight for me is the interaction between the 4 moves each team has during the conflict. They're called attack, defend, manouver and feint. If it's attack versus attack, you both roll a simple versus test and the winner damages the loser's Disposition. Feint cancels Defend. if you manage to manouvre, you get extra die for your next action, but if you're attacked while doing it you are caught off guard. It is pretty easy to get used to because it makes sense.

The way we do it is I always play and describe what I do first, revealing what type of action it is. Since they know how the actions interact, they describe how they foiled or got caught off guard by my schemes, then we roll and resolve. It's never quite the same twice, if we're creative. Hell, once they were looking for an old book on an abandoned library. I played the natural obstacles such as disorganization, lack of maintenance and environment trying to break their will to search and they played skills like Archivist, Lore and Scout to try and find their way around or protect themselves from the terribly distracting moss that triggered their allergies, and much more! It was amazing
>>
>>52647992
If this sounds at all like Burning Wheel plays it's no coincidence, Luke Crane just twisted some rules to make it more kid-friendly. I'd Mouse Guard is really Burning Wheel light, I know for sure they I'd also be delighted to play it with you guys, as some anons have suggested >>52647260
>>52645062
>>
>>52631553

sounds like Pathfinder
>>
>>52643821
Lel that's the system they used for the medabots rpg because it could already support switching out body parts so well.
>>
>>52647927
Here's our translation project: https://nechronica.miraheze.org/wiki/Main_Page

All of the PDFs are out of date, please don't use them and tell others not to use them. They're mistranslated and missing vital errata.
>>
EABA by BTRC is never discussed. Grep Porter's generic ruleset that can be ported to any genre. It's like GURPS, but with a system that has better internal consistency, easier genre porting without extensive rules mods, and a system easier to learn.
>>
>>52631553
Following the same train of thought, my boys really loved Ryuutama for it's more pastoral, comfy setting and the collaborative storytelling aspects.
>>
>>52630621

Babylon 5 Wars. Space combat sim, small fleet action (3-10 ships plus fighter wings), really did well at recreating the feel of the show.

Plus, the fanbase of the game made a hell of a lot of conversions. There's stuff for Star Trek (of you're tired of SFB), Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica, Robotech, and Descent: Freespace.

Downside: games can get long. Like, 1 turn with a few ships on each side can take a half to a full hour to resolve everything. Still, my group has had plenty of fun with it over the years. Current rules set is simply called "Agents of Gaming Wars" or AOG Wars, for the original company that made it.
>>
File: Savage Worlds.jpg (11KB, 306x165px) Image search: [Google]
Savage Worlds.jpg
11KB, 306x165px
>>52630621
I tried to get a general rolling but it never really took off. Is GURPS really the best Generic RPG system?
>>
>>52657788
Yes, but Savage Worlds is good too.
>>
>>52657788

Personally I really like Savage Worlds, but the system lacks a bit of granularity, which can make players seem a bit samey. I've had a lot of fun playing the system, particularly the Slipstream milieu, despite its few flaws.

>>52657327

EABA is a well thought out, well structured game. As a piece of game design, it's beautiful. That said, the system seems to fall apart at the lower power levels where dice penalties to actions cripple characters too quickly. A little more granularity in that system would help as well. (I've played the Timelords setting, and it was fun, though characters were at the 80-100pt build level where the system functions a bit better)
>>
>>52641461

Wulin was doubly fucked. The shitty state of the release and the fact the company imploded after the chinese half of the business jumped ship with Jenna Moran's Kickstarter money. Such a tragic fate for what could have been beautiful fucking game.
>>
>>52641461
>Unisystem, classic specifically.
I have a soft spot for Terra Primate. It was a great deal too, only $10.

>>52631553
I've played it, it's fun.

>>52633437
>Dungeon crawl classics, i dont know why its never mentioned in OSR.
1) It's mentioned all the time.
2) It's a 3.5 homebrew.
>>
File: 1490781205400.jpg (83KB, 718x1010px) Image search: [Google]
1490781205400.jpg
83KB, 718x1010px
>>52655498
Thanks duder.
>>
>>52630621
Earthdawn - Best Magic Item system I've ever seen. Very little martial/caster disparity.

In Nomine - Fun setting, unique system.

Qin: The Warring States - Neat Yin-Yang based system. Multiple magic systems and decent Wuxia system.
>>
>>52641814
What do you think about opend6 then?
>>
>>52645035

Er, what? Trollin', tg edition?

4e nuked most social and noncombat skills, or made them idiotic to use. 3 and 3.5 weren't lacking in skill trees for many situations, though I'll grant you they aren't Alternity or Dark Heresy.
>>
>>52658469

What?

The 4e skill system was way better than 3.5's. Out of combat utility was a bit weak, although they were adding more closer to the end of the games lifespan, but I'll take an anaemic system like 4e's that supports actual roleplaying over 3.5's 'Cast spell, solve problem' approach.
>>
>>52630621
I really like the SPECIAL system from the Fallout RPG before it got used in the teh vidya gaymes.
>>
>>52642004
Someone put up streams of a group playing on youtube. Their group was really slow, but I think that's the GM/players rather than the system. Also, they start out not knowing the system hardly at all (including the GM). It's also pretty lethal.

It's got a lot in common with the White Wolf attribute + skill systems with a target number, but still d6, iirc.

The setting is pretty cool. /pol/ generally comes in to complain about things. The art is great.
>>
>>52642553
It's also not a power fantasy, which a lot of people are looking for in a game.

It is a very clever game, and well done. Burning Wheel may be a better option if the mouse portion bothers your group, but I liked the idea of being a heroic mouse.
>>
>>52658359
It's equally shit.
>>
>>52658469
You do realize that there are six editions of D&D before WOTC's D&D, right?
>>
>>52641461
>Ops and Tactics is fun for what it is, gets a general every now and again though

Usually when I fix something. Or change something.
>>
>>52658469
>4e nuked most social and noncombat skills

They weren't nuked.

They were fused.

A single skill covered more than a 3.5 one did. Having less entries on the skill list doesn't mean you can do less things.
>>
>>52659030
well in any other system there is always someone that will have an advantage a +1 +2 makes a big difference
>>
>>52659030
how do we fix it?
>>
>>52642205
>check website
>last update was 3 years ago
Feels bad man. I really liked the track thing.
>>
>>52663117
Just play West End Games old d6 games. They were good.
>>
>>52641910
Came into thread to advocate DRYH too
>>
>>52663412
... if you like rolling literal buckets of dice.

Maybe with the "take averages except for your top X dice" houserule.
>>
Mythras is still my favorite system. When I feel any other system has a resolution mechanic missing I just crib it from Mythras because those guys know how to design a great game.
>>
>>52664870
Isn't mythras just % based?
>>
File: onering1.jpg (173KB, 813x511px) Image search: [Google]
onering1.jpg
173KB, 813x511px
THE ONE RING
H
E

O
N
E

R
I
N
G

Seriously best game if at least the GM is Tolkien fanboi and rest of the party is at least able to get and enjoy the feel.
Also just enough crunch to keep things thrilling but not that much to overbloat and get in way of actual roleplaying.
Also crunch fits the theme and feel almost like glove
>>
>>52663311

Legend was such a cool project, but it collapsed when the lead dev was hired by a company with a non-compete clause, so he couldn't keep working on it.
>>
>>52631553
yeah I kickstarted that but barely get to play it. cute s fuck tho
>>
File: DSA.jpg (51KB, 331x475px) Image search: [Google]
DSA.jpg
51KB, 331x475px
The Dark Eye

mostly unknown out of english speaking countries.

>Why do you think they're great?

Creators put effort into making A LOT of Human Tribes and Nations of Men, all with their own characteristics, cultures and abilities.

It makes a great setting for a Tolkien-inspired, low fantasy setting that is focused on narrative and story telling.
>>
>>52657327
Any major flaws for EABA? I've been curious to try more generic systems.
>>
File: 2c29f2ea6f3bd49932f2a9e89415f5f4.jpg (222KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
2c29f2ea6f3bd49932f2a9e89415f5f4.jpg
222KB, 1024x576px
>>52665884
Fantasy creatures and magic exist!, but they are kinda rare and Powerful inside the Human controlled Lands.

You have your run of the Mill Dorfs, that are fond of Drink and Industry.
(with the exception of Hill-Dwarves, who are basically Shire-Hobbits)

Elves are your typical Fey assholes that live sheltered in Forests and Wilderness (depending on the Region) Technology and Culture of foreign races is alien of them. Human cities are the worst ,unnatural thing for them. They declare everyone a Outcast who likes Outsiders to much or even adapts to their Culture.

Orcs are hairy, grey skinned creatures, more inspired by Tolkiens description than your average green orc.

ITT: Its your standard Fantasy Setting, but with more effort put into it and less Skub.
>>
>>52633437
DOC is a fantastic system.
It has random charts for everything, which I love. And it lets people flex creatively rather than go down a list of skills asking if they can roll them.

>>52630621
Heroes unlimited.
I know it's from palladium but slow down. Palladium isn't meant to use every book ever. If you use heroes unlimited then you're only using heroes unlimited. Not rifts world books 1-10000000. Maybe you use powers unlimited and Armageddon unlimited.
The books have random charts for rolling everything, which in my opinion makes people think more creatively with their powers and abilities rather than fall into whatever role they assign themselves.
>>
>>52630790
Is Strike! a good system for first-time GMs, and does it have a decent amount of resources? Or should I stick with D&D 5E?
(I'm interested in the battle mechanics, since I'm a pretty big fan of roguelike combat and grid based strategy)
>>
File: Of_Dreams_and_Magic.jpg (2MB, 1980x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Of_Dreams_and_Magic.jpg
2MB, 1980x1080px
Does anyone know if ODAM is any good? I've read up on it but haven't been able to play it myself, and finding other people who know the game is crazy hard.
>>
>>52641508
Partly because of how complex it is, partly because most fa/fg/uys don't want to play multiple characters and partly because armor makes you worse at combat.
>>
>>52644688
D&D isn't a bad example of roleplaying - it's not even an example of roleplaying in the first place. While D&D did inspire the basic structure of rpgs, it is not an rpg itself and it's unrealistic gamist rules make any attempt at roleplaying an exercise in futility.

'Not being D&D' is the rpg equivalent of a vidya 'not being ET'. It's really nothing to brag about.
>>
>ctrl+f Fantasy Craft
>No results
It's the fucking cure to edition wars. It's like 3.5 but non-casters have 4E levels of usefulness without casters losing all utility, non-combatant characters are viable, and with some extra tools thrown in to make DMing easier and make the system actually work as a generic fantasy system that can be adapted to any fantasy subgenre. To avoid sucking its dick too much, I should point out that the rulebook layout is terrible, which is suicide for a system as complicated at FC, and there's not that much content released despite it not being a new system, although you can just convert stuff from 3.X or build your own new monsters. (Which is actually surprisingly easy and balanced.)
>>
File: 1475761876127.png (128KB, 1551x279px) Image search: [Google]
1475761876127.png
128KB, 1551x279px
>>52668161
It's not the cure because it isn't D&D, much like how 4e wasn't the cure because it wasn't D&D (and better off for it).
>>
>>52641851
myfarog is the worst thing I've ever read lol
>>
>>52641910
I came here to say this

Hands down favorite ttrpg <3
>>
>>52666897
I wish I could say "Absolutely, Strike! is great for beginner GMs!" but you really need at least some experience before you can do Twists and Costs on the fly, and you need some experience with the system itself to help players take skills, tricks and complications that fit the campaign you want.

But if you are playing with friends who are willing to experiment and tweak stuff as you go, it could work out. I'm not a very experienced GM and I managed to run a few sessions that were at least adequate.
>>
>>52668161
it haves some cool ideas but it seemed complicated
>>
>>52663412
>>52663451
Is there any good d6 pool game?
>>
>>52644501
> Play it quick and easy
ahahaha
DSA is NEVER quick an easy
>>
>>52669630

Arguably Burning Wheel. I mean it's very carefully and rigorously designed, at the very least, and that alone sets it apart from the pack. Whether that qualifies as "good" is subjective though.
>>
>>52669630

Arguably Shadowrun?
>>
>>52669630
I think Risus is d6 pool.

If you don't mind it being pretty light, it's pretty good.
>>
>>52631492
Talking mini-six, i think adding some house rules would benefit the game, the main problem with d6 based games are the lack of spells

talking Strike, i didn't understand the book the time i read it, maybe i need to give it another go
>>
>>52669869
The book is laid out badly (seems to be a thing with smaller RPGs).

If there's anything in particular, I'd be happy to help.
>>
>>52644696
>>52644640
That sounds very much like you're missing a BIG part of what makes Paranoia so good.
>>
>>52631492
Garbage. One die makes a ridiculous difference in terms of power and equally matched opponents are whoever attacks first wins.

Where are the initiative rules anyway? Didn't catch them.
>>
Anima
>>
>>52669922
how do i start?
how would you sell strike to 5e dnd players?
>>
>>52670310
i think that is for all d6 games, you could have a +1 or +2 in the die too, also the wild die and hero points are there, also you could use some kind of strategy to win
>>
File: ss (2017-04-12 at 12.31.28).png (16KB, 1118x574px) Image search: [Google]
ss (2017-04-12 at 12.31.28).png
16KB, 1118x574px
>>52670310
>>
>>52670976
Hmm.

Well, it helps if they like grid/positioning tactical combat, that's kinda like 5e, but more in depth.

At the same time, it's faster; you only roll a d6, without modifiers most of the time (you do have adv/disadv mechanic).

Also, character building freedom. You can basically stat out any (races, classes) very fast. This may be a curse as well (cause you actually have to build your own fluff), but Strike! can be used for many types of games on top of generic fantasy.

I have ran it in modern fantasy, and mecha, for example.
>>
>>52644975
Best post and no one replies. Sadness...
>>
I'd like to chat with people about BRP once in a while but it being an old and settingless along with there being other percentile systems with dedicated fluff out there I understand it can be a bit difficult to have a conversation about. I enjoy that I can tailor rules as needed for games.

On a sort of related note I would like to see more fantasy heartbreakers and other oddities posted as I enjoy reading them for the strange passion projects they are.
>>
>>52644975
>>52671206
Dungeons: the Dragoning is great. The main problem is that whenever I bring it up with my regular gaming group, everyone wants to play but nobody wants to GM it.
>>
File: Futatsuiwa.Mamizou.jpg (135KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Futatsuiwa.Mamizou.jpg
135KB, 600x600px
>>52631553
I've always wanted to try GSS for a light-hearted adventure in the vein of Legend of Zelda. Anyone ever tried it with something that might be a little more combat heavy than it was intended? I feel like the already present ability for low level combat might work with Zelda's combat style of hit thing three times. The scenes could be a nice mechanic to represent the screen shifts in older Zeldas and on handheld.
>>
>>52641461
>Unisystem, classic specifically. It cant do everything as a general system, but it can do quite a lot imo.
Hell yeah. Adapting Delta Green to it atm.
>>
>>52643171
Isn't that the one in which you have dice pools with different types of dice and always chose two dice one for effect and the other for its number or something?
>>
>>52672017
do you have the pdf for unisystem?
>>
>>52670992
Against someone with a full die better than you, say 1d6 vs. 2d6, they're hitting nearly 84% of the time. Even when you have 1d6+2 vs. their 2d6, they hit just under 70% of the time. This is including the wild die, with an explosion depth set to 3, so it really doesn't help all that much. Without the exploding wild die, they're 5~6% more likely to hit. So it helps a bit, but remember that their wild die can explode, too, and everyone has them.

Hero Points are garbage in their current form for two reasons: 1) They're given out completely by GM Fiat, and 2) They can only be spent before you roll. The former means that availability is entirely reliant on the GM, the latter means that you can waste them on rolls that you have a 16.67% chance to crit on anyways, or spent before their opponent rolls damage (for fast combat)/they roll Might (which they might, again, critically succeed on, or just roll well on, making the point be wasted).

This can be fixed by having a Refresh rate similar to Fate or Savage Worlds, where you have a small pool that refills every session and lets you spend after you roll, rather than before, again like Fate/SW.

On the topic of strategy or tactics, there's hardly any. Either you're behind cover or not, you've taken damage or not, or you spent your whole turn preparing to dodge or not. There aren't any in-depth combat rules, such as Savage Worlds' Tricks and Called Shots or GURPS' everything, so you're completely at the mercy of what your GM can bullshit. The system provides little guidance here.

Let's take a really simple example: darkness. Mini Six has spells and traits that grant darkvision, but has no rules for penalties that darkness gives. Fate would say that's an Aspect that anyone can invoke or compel on the scene, while Savage Worlds and GURPS both give penalties appropriate for the level of darkness at different granularities.

The GM has to make those up with no help whatsoever from the system.

It's garbage.
>>
>>52672993
Just grab All Flesh Must Be Eaten from the pdf share thread. Or Unisystem's version of ConspiracyX
>>
>>52630621
Mythras

It's awesome for gritty combat and the magic is scale-able so martials aren't immediately BTFO.
>>
>>52674342
well that is true, as a gm you have to make a lot of house rules if you want something more robust. but yeah if you need tons of house rules just make your own game already
>>
>>52674342
Game does have darkness penalties under cover, oops. Bad editing.

Let's look at how this game handles a starting character against something challenging, like an ogre.

We make an elf. We have 3d Might and 5d Agility (which leaves us four attribute dice that we don't care about), Bow 2d, Dodge 2d, and Running 3d. We have 7d+1 to shoot things, 7d to dodge/Dodge 21, and we do 5d+2 damage with our bow. When things get hairy, we have 8d running, which gives us an average of 28 extra feet, or 56 with a full round of running, meaning we can cover 15 to 86 feet in a turn.

Ogre: If I'm reading the scale rules right, the ogre gets +2d to their damage, and we get +2d to our dodge and ability to hit them. So, he's going to be attacking with an axe at 6d, doing 7d damage if he hits us. He parries at 18, and has a soak of 14 with armor. The Ogre has Agility 1d+1, meaning they can run an average of 5 extra feet, which means they can cover 15 to 35 feet a turn.

Short range with our bow is 30 feet, so let's assume we start there. We roll Agility to see who goes first (Ogre's 1d+1 vs. our 7d - we win every time). Vs. the static Parry 18, we hit 99% of the time, or we can attack twice and hit twice nearly 98% of the time. Against a rolled defense, our chances are 94% and 77%, respectively. When we hit, we're going to do enough damage to stun them 90% of the time (-1d penalty until the end of the next round) and wound them 70% of the time (-1d until healed). Wounding them twice (53% chance) gives -2d.

Then, when the ogre tries to attack us after we've wounded him once, he runs 30 feet and rolls Axe/4d, hitting us 9% of the time with static defenses, or 7% with our Dodge/7d. If the ogre actually manages to hit, he incapacitates us 80% of the time with a static soak value of 9, or 65% of the time if we roll Might to resist.

Ogres are 4/5 star difficulty, according to the game, yet a starting character can destroy them with little fear of retaliation. Trash.
>>
>>52675292
So d6 is trash in general?

i dont see how the other d6 systems fix this
>>
>>52675751
Can't really say. I checked out Open d6, which had critical failures. A 1 on the wild die means it isn't added, and it cancels your highest rolled die, This means you can roll a 0 if you only roll 1d or 2d and get a 1 on the wild die. No clue how to calculate the probabilities of that on anydice, but it can't be pretty.

Also, the elf vs. ogre example is from Mini Six's character creation, so I can't comment on chargen in other d6 games, either.

What I can say is that the basic math of the system really, really favors you having even +1 over your opponent, and the way defenses work means combat is whoever strikes first wins. There aren't any tactics to speak of, so if you enjoy combat that boils down to whoever has the highest agility wins, go for it.

It's really easy to be hyper-proficient in combat without sacrificing much out of combat utility. The average Guard only has 2d in Wits and Charms, so you're going to be able to charm or outsmart them 60% of the time with just 2d+1, which is easily to do with that elf build I posted. They won't be charming kings, but they can steal the spotlight from the face character with a decent success rate.

I just don't see the point in using it. The probabilities are fucked, and the system's too low resolution to make up for that with character options, which means you're going to need to do shitloads of legwork to get it into a workable form. I would just use Savage Worlds instead.
>>
>>52666102

As another anon mentioned, if you run a game at the lower, "average guy/everyman" level, the system does not run as smoothly. At the competent normal / heroic level, it excels.

Like many generic systems, it requires some work from the GM to create or adapt a milieu. Though, BTRC does sell some premade milieus, some of which are extraordinarily good.

The basic idea for the system, is that you roll a number of dice equal to your relevant stat and skill, with possible +1 or +2 "pips" or partial dice. Very similar to West End Games old D6 Star Wars games. Unlike WEG's D6 game, you only keep the "Best of Three". Target numbers go from 1 to 18. So rolling more than three dice doesn't net you a higher target number, but gives you a better chance at beating the difficulty ranges.It helps scaling the higher dice levels to the lower ones, unlike D6 systems that just total the dice.
>>
>>52641851
It's really not as bad as fa/tg/uys say. Its average, with a good dm, probably be really fun to run a Volsunga saga type game
>>
>>52675751

EABA fixes the D6 scaling issue with a Best of Three approach. No matter how many dice you roll, you only keep the best three results. This flattens the results nicely. Someone rolling 7d6 is still more likely to beat someone rolling 6d6, but the margins are MUCH smaller.
>>
>>52676064

Wonder how good a system would be that had stats and skills, and stats let you roll larger dice, while skills let you roll more dice, with the caveat that you always take your single highest result. So your roll is always (skill)d(stat) keep 1.

Seems really simple at a glance. Math might get mushy on the odds though.
>>
>>52676239
http://anydice.com/program/b4e5 Here's a basic chart for 1-3 of d6, d8, and d10.

Make of it what you will. Looks to me like it's going to be a pain to math for, though.
>>
>>52676239

Stats would become weighted more heavily than skills, in that case. An unskilled character with a high stat rolling 1d10 has a 20% chance of defeating a master skilled person rolling 5d8, simply because the other character cannot even achieve a 9 or 10.
>>
>>
>>52676119
maybe i can add that rule to minisix and see if it fixes something

>>52675903

Savage worlds is fun and fast but combat felt odd sometimes, lethality was kinda random
>>
>>52669741
Roll 3w20 die for skillchecks
If there's no skill roll 1w20 on an attribute
Combat is 1w20 to hit and 1w20 to parry or dodge
Damage is Xw6

You can basically play modern vanilla DSA now. Everything else is modificators and even magic works like a normal skillcheck except you mod it with the targets defense values.
>>
>>52678251
What is DSA?
>>
File: AventuriaLowRes.jpg (8MB, 4225x6500px) Image search: [Google]
AventuriaLowRes.jpg
8MB, 4225x6500px
>>52678838
"Das Schwarze Auge" - you probably know it under the name The Dark Eye if you live outside of german speaking european countries.

It's a german P&P system known for its detailed metaplot and extensive rules. DSA is compared to other popular systems more of a medieval fantasy simulation with focus on roleplay. DSA is so popular in german speaking europe, it even outsold D&D as the most sucesful classicel roleplaying game.

Take a look at the english translation of the new edition: http://www.ulisses-us.com/thedarkeye/
>>
>>52678970
got quite interested any actual play online?
>>
File: DSAGods.jpg (191KB, 1600x360px) Image search: [Google]
DSAGods.jpg
191KB, 1600x360px
>>52679244
Sometimes there's a group on roll 20. I got lucky and found a pretty cool beginner game there. Mostly german people tho.

It just doesn't have that much of an international fanbase. Especially on roll20 it's basically non-existant. My listing was there for over 5 weeks and I only found one single non-german player for my international party. I don't think you have a realistic chance to get a game going without some interested friends.
>>
>>52679362
how would you sell this game to a group of 5e dnd players?
>>
>>52679514
>5e dnd players
You don't.

These two games are completely au contraire. DnD heavily emphasizes a general feeling of high fantasy "everything goes, everything is allowed". And more detailled combat than anything else. DSA is a typical germanic centered setting with a strong tie to metaplot which heavily limits the fantastical concept of the world. It begins in the character creation. In DSA you start as a normal grounded person that has a profession, a life and a place in the world. You don't necessarily have to play a combat profession and there are professions that entirely focus on out of combat aspects. Things like a medicus, a writer, an entertainer are perfectly fine characters. These normal and very realistic characters are forged through the adventures before they become what you can call an "adventurer" in other roleplaying systems. Another point is the recommendation to make a character you WANT to play instead of a character you HAVE to play. DSA goes far enough to encourage you to build weaknesses/flaws into a concept.

If it comes to combat then, it's rather deadly and there's no quick regenerationphase like in D&D. You only get a tiny amount of natural heal per regenerationphase. Heavy swordwounds can take weeks to completely heal and the mages ASP (Mana) needs a few days too. You typically want to be prepared before entering any fight or bigger hostile complex. Healspells are rare and Healpotions are mostly weak as fuck too.

And when you expect to encounter mystical beasts around every corner and half demons and elves and whatever in every second town you're gonna be disappointed. Your random 10-people village probably hasn't seen magic since a decade and the only thing they know about monsters are old stories.
>>
>>52644633
Are you talking about 5th or a previous edition? 5th is totally a-okay, it's a bit thicker with char sheets than say Savage worlds, but they cut out most of the unnecessary crap and streamlined it hard.

4th was really heavy but doable, but the bookkeeping was kinda annoying, but it's a simulist game that encourages attention to detail with a community that has a core of people that like to stay in character hardcore in a low fantasy world, and if that involves tracking your skills in playing card games, playing the flute and weaving then thats how it is.

Was it gen 3 or 2 that pretty much required you to use a third party program to generate a char sheet for you because it was pretty much humanly impossible? Well anyways in 5th you no longer need a phd in math to determine your stats and calculate damage.

5th, while not perfect, has brought the game back to "I might consider it a first choice if the group likes the world and likes a more simulatist approach" up from "I will only play this with veterans if they are super into it" from the original "I like the world and the meta plot, but I also like my sanity. NO NO NO NOPE"
>>
>>52643171
Cortex Prime has a Kickstarter part of which will be tweaking the superhero rules for marvel.
>>
>>52666162
I don't think you could say that elves are typical Fey assholes. They are so different that a lot of people and even some of the official material recommends only letting people experience with the lore and good roleplayers play them, because they are weird ass PROTOCOMMUNIST-like fey assholes. They are more hippy in a way that Tolkien's elves werent, and aren't in the ways Tolkien's are. They are also Xenophobe, but in a different way. They are really really not Tolkien-esque elves.

They don't recognize concepts like trade, ownership, and unlike the damn Dothraki they also don't understand gifts. They are basically so alien that you will have a hard time playing one that isn't basically a human because he had to totally adopt their culture in order to have any kind of meaningful interaction with the outside world.

Newcommers often don't understand how to roleplay them and just play very agile, beautiful FUCKING KENDER stand randumb-ly steal shit because "lol XD they don't understand ownership, they are all kleptos rite?"
>>
File: 9a5d6cb0cea052270325936dbc0f07d6.jpg (273KB, 1400x972px) Image search: [Google]
9a5d6cb0cea052270325936dbc0f07d6.jpg
273KB, 1400x972px
I am a great fan of the PbtA system known as Fellowship, and assert that it handles high fantasy adventures in a fashion far more suitably PbtA-like than Dungeon World ever will.

That said, Fellowship only really works for games that are specifically about a group of friends banding together to stop some sort of evil overlord.
>>
>>52666162
A fucking LOT more effort. It might be one of, if not the most thouroughly thought through and detailed setting there is. In the older, often pretty aweful rules wise, versions, the setting was THE sellingpoint. There is an ongoing metaplot that is being continued regularly to this day and there is a metric fuck ton of material to help create adventures, with detailed guides to different cultures and an emphasis to make every damn city feel different and special, as well as an even bigger metric fuckton of ready made adventures.

Most of the material should be in german though, the english version is not that old yet
>>
>>52680046
I like MHRP, but damage is really hit or miss. It is really, really damned easy to take someone out.
>>
>>52670127
Look, if you're going to shit on my system then you need a less vague criticism than, "Your playing wrong"
>>
>>52679703
Yeah, it's more way more low fantasy than D&D, and not as much a traditional heroic you can beat-anything-because-you-are-the-player style game. There is a lot of emphasis on being smart in doing what you want to do, to do it more the 10 foot pole OSR way.

What I love though is the dice system. Some people hate it because it can be very slow if you are inexperienced, but it just feels amazing for roleplaying. For skillchecks you have to role three d20 against three of your base attributes and your skill level is the amount of points you role over, for all three d20 combined. Each of the three represents one of the necessary steps to perform the action. Want to make a jump over a chasm? Throw for courage to dare even jump, trow for dex to jump far enough, throw for dex to not fumble your landing. And so on.

I just love that because it allways gives you cues on how to roleplay your successes, failures, crits, fumbles. A lot of the fans absolutely adore this 3d20 system, a lot of people hate it because rolling so much can really slow down the game if you overthink your throws too much and take your time. Newcommers often get bogged down.
>>
>>52670976
Step by step starter tips, after sleeping on it.

-Try to get the hang of the skill system. Read PbtA games (Dungeon World for example) if you need to, they explain similar concepts a lot better than the Strike! core book does. Comparatively, the combat is very straightforward.

-Decide what sort of campaign you want to play. Decide (if you can) what the player character's usual challenges will be outside of combat. Make a few example jobs/backgrounds to get a sense of scale for the skills/tricks that support, but don't invalidate those challenges.

-Pitch it to the players.

-Arrive to a compromise after discussing the inevitable differences in tastes about the campaigns' setting, scale and power level.

-Listen to character ideas. Try to incorporate character ideas into the game. Help with character building if needed. Make sure that the characters make sense thematically (it's hard to make a character that doesn't make sense mechanically).

I usually ask for combat abilities to be linked to skills/equipment, and for skills/equipment to be precise about what they can and can't do, and what situations they are inapplicable/stop working in (i.e. if the "water bending" skill doesn't work without water, so if your water bender character can't get water it would make no sense in universe that his water-based powers keep working).
This may get annoying/unfair for players so always lean towards compromise (unless they expect a killer GM, then release the hounds).
>>
>>52680638
>cont.

-Make sure everyone is comfortable with the final fluff and crunch of the characters.

-Start with a simple non-combat scenario followed by a simple combat to get everyone up to speed. Try to get everyone involved and invested in both.

-Revise stuff as needed.

-Drip subsystems that you want to add slowly, and make sure everyone is on board and understands them.

There's nothing wrong with just using the basic skill system as is, if you aren't comfortable with the more advanced modules. There's also nothing wrong with tweaking it (I really dislike the acquisition of skills on a 6, for example, and prefer replacing it with skill learning as a downtime activity/reward).

As your mastery of the combat side of the game grows, you can also start adding more and more ridiculous monsters/terrain/other variables to combats. Just keep in mind that in Strike! fiction trumps rules. If the players do something really smart, or if something doesn't make sense, feel free to bypass whatever the rules say.

In general, don't be afraid to change/add shit if something is not fun/would sound like fun. Many parts of the game are intentionally light so you can add your own stuff. It is even expected in some instances (such as the play-example of an Fire Elemental player's "fire body" being the equivalent of a feat that the GM adds).
>>
>>52642004
I've played it, it's not very good
>>
>>52680638
>>52680661

Additionally, contrary to what the book says, it might actually help to formulate a skill list based on the skills that you might foresee being useful and relevant in your campaign.

It helps prevent mid-game arguments on whether X or Y would be appropriately narrow a skill to learn, and it helps overcome the fact that the sample backgrounds are totally inconsistent on just how narrow any given skill should be.
>>
>>52680869
Yeah, probably a good idea to be more explicit about a skill list.

I haven't tried yet, but GURPS has amazingly (agonizingly) detailed skill lists, that you can easily use as a base and pick the ones that fit your game.
>>
>>52644649
>>52645012
>>52645062
I really enjoy Burning Wheel, but it doesn't really lend itself well to /tg/. Posts about it would be the odd rules question, custom life paths, and story time. All of which work better in a discussion forum. Even the official burning Wheel forum is pretty slow if you look at it. Maybe three or four posts a day.
>>
File: mouse guard jacques tribute.jpg (114KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
mouse guard jacques tribute.jpg
114KB, 800x600px
>>52642553
Redwall hack when
>>
>>52686776

I don't think it'd be a good fit for Redwall, as the mechanics lean more to the gritty than heroic.
>>
Harnmaster. d100 with an awesome and brutal damage system.
>>
>>52687679
didn't harnmaster use the roll and keep system?
>>
>>52680075
Have a pdf we could look at? You have my interest.
>>
File: AWR.jpg (119KB, 1035x475px) Image search: [Google]
AWR.jpg
119KB, 1035x475px
A Wanderer's Romance. Wuxia game set in an archipelago world populated with tons of small societies. Due to islands being unable to support large populations or infrastructure, a code of conduct for warriors was introduced. Disputes are resolved by a handful of champions meeting on the field of battle and engaging in personal duels, which may or may not be to the death. Lot of emphasis on "warrior's honor" type stuff you'd see in martial arts cinema.

The mechanics are very simple and elegant, and tie nicely into the game's themes. Character stats are Earth, Fire, Air, Water, and Balance, representing the strength of each element's characteristics in the character and how well the character balances their influences. Earth is physical strength and practicality, Fire is passion and decisiveness, Air is willpower and leadership, and Water is grace, reasoning, and intuition. Balance is derived from how many of your four main stats match, so a 0/1/2/3 spread means 1 Balance, while 2/2/2/0 means 3 Balance.

Rolling system is 2d6+X+Y, attempting to beat target number 10 for average tasks, 12 for difficult ones, and 14 for outlandish ones. X and Y will typically be two of your core stats, specified by the activity you're taking. For something like blacksmithing, it would be 2d6+Fire+Earth. Having training in a specific specialty (you choose a few at character creation and can learn more in-game) gives a +2 bonus.

Combat uses the same mechanic, but your character's trained combat style (of which there are dozens, easily the most in-depth aspect of the game) dictates which elements you use, along with a couple of nice benefits like denying your opponent one of their elements or the like. Environment can also affect battle in very concrete ways--fighting in a tranquil garden might boost both fighters' Balance, while an exciting confrontation on a volcano might boost Fire instead.

There's a bit more to it, but that covers the basics.
>>
File: redwall_map.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
redwall_map.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>52687007
On the contrary, I think the adaptability of the conflict system is perfect for the way Redwall's heroes frequently deal with adversity through alternative means. Journeys, riddles, parleying from the walltops, archive-bingeing--it's a great system to bring some excitement to staples of the series that might end up boring or mundane in other systems.

Granted Mouse Guard has rules about weather and the like that don't quite work for Redwall, but that's simple enough to cut out or replace with more appropriate natural threats. The "gritty" side of Mouse Guard is more down to what the GM decides to throw at the players.
>>
>>52689122
This guy gets Mouse Guard's adaptability. Unfortunately not enough people know about Redwall where i live that i could interest them on a whole game about it. Mouse Guard was way easier to introduce.
>>
File: fate of the norns..jpg (337KB, 606x800px) Image search: [Google]
fate of the norns..jpg
337KB, 606x800px
One of the best Systems I've ever used to game. I had stupid amounts of fun with this. It was a real breath of fresh air. The mechanics are quite different from every other system I've played, and well constructed. I highly recommend it to anyone who is looking for something different and new to play, or who just loves vikings.
>>
A Quiet Year is a really slick collaborative map making game. Everyone takes abstracted rolls of parts of a post apocalyptic community, you build stuff together, draw cards with events/problems on them, make characters and draw stuff on the map. You try not to die when the winter comes. Does a good job of having evocative and simple descriptions that help people come up with cool ideas. Also has one of the most accurate feeling way of holding meetings. When you're done there's a cool map and sometimes a setting you can use for post-apoc games.

Deep Forest looks really good as a remake, but the chances of /tg/ talking about it without throwing a fit are low.
>>
>>52694496
>abstracted roles
damnit
>>
File: senzar cover.png (7MB, 1500x1916px) Image search: [Google]
senzar cover.png
7MB, 1500x1916px
Have you ever wanted to fistfight a dinosaur as a four-armed jungle native? How about summon a volcano to roast a spandex-clad squad of clone dark elf spec-ops? Become a living avatar of one of the five elemental gods? Rock so hard you can make radiation-breathing dragons and demon lords flee in terror? Rend people's souls from their bodies and take their abilities as your own?
>>
>>52694591

Alright, you got me. I'm intrigued. Tell me more.
>>
>>52694607
>Tell me more.
>when you can't into shilling but somebody asks you to
Which bit of the post would you like me to elaborate on?
>>
File: fantasy craft.jpg (101KB, 612x800px) Image search: [Google]
fantasy craft.jpg
101KB, 612x800px
>>
>>52694670

Eh, I'd just like to hear more about the system and why you like it so much. You've made some pretty grand claims about what you can do in it, i'd like to learn why I should fulfill those or similar fantasies in this system rather than an alternative. What makes it good? What makes it fun? No specific thing, I just want to hear the jist of it.
>>
>>52694776
>You've made some pretty grand claims about what you can do in it,
They sound grand, but they're really quite simple to do. Volcano-summoning and elemental-avatar-becoming are both Natural Magick (yes with a k) spells. The school of Spellsinging is based around music and has a spell to make people flee in terror. The soul-rending is basically the entire power set of one Freak (kind of like classes, but significantly more powerful than the usual brace, which are called Professions) called the Soulthief. One of the races is called the Azaar, and they are the 'four-armed jungle native' I mentioned.

Gimme a bit to write down an overview of the mechanics.
>>
>>52695211
Nine attributes (STR, DEX, CON, INT, Speed, Willpower, Presence Perception, and Power).
Saves are (21-stat) or greater on d20, until you go over 19, at which point it switches to percentage roll-over. Power saves are 100-POW on d100.
Skills and some special abilities work off attribute saves, but you can get Mods (+N to roll, where N is number of Mods).

Raising attributes (other than POW) requires you to 'bank' a certain number of Fate points at one level, and keep them until the next level, at which point they're spent and you gain the attribute point. Spending one of those points before you make the next level interrupts the process and you have to wait till next level to try again. Raising POW takes one FP per point raised, and can be done at any time.

In addition to buying abilities, Fate points can also be used to mess with your dice rolls (making a perfect save), forcing a Critical Hit (but does not negate armour or dodge), minimizing rolled damage, and halving fixed damage.

You also have Fame (percentage chance random NPCs recognise your name) and Connections (who may give you discounts and things).

Do you want me to go over character creation, skills and special powers, combat, magic, artificing, or the Immortal rules next? They're in that order in the book.
>>
>>52694358
tell me more about the system and what players can do please
>>
>>52694358
I picked this rule book a while ago and it looks incredible. Does the rune system work as well as I'm hoping it does? It looks like such a creative mechanic and I want to play with my group, but we're in the middle of a conan campaign right now.
>>
File: harnmaster_sheet.png (988KB, 622x896px) Image search: [Google]
harnmaster_sheet.png
988KB, 622x896px
>>52688207
no, it's d100 roll under. amputate arms, gouge out eyes, cut off dicks.
>>
Harn. It's a low fantasy setting with nice combat mechanics, spell mechanics, and armor mechanics. The stats are all derivative but once you get a handle on them you're good.
>>
>>52644982
Savage Worlds is underrated. It's super easy to tweak without breaking everything which makes it very adaptable.
>>
>>52644982
>>52702266
Are you guys blind? SW gets shilled hard here, often in "have you tried not playing D&D" threads. If anything it's overrated.
>>
>>52641461
Dont Rest Your Head is one of those games I own and would love to play but probably never will because forever no group.
>>
File: 1478481437065.jpg (259KB, 1280x974px) Image search: [Google]
1478481437065.jpg
259KB, 1280x974px
>>52675292
Fuck off with your stale pasta, loser. And quite fucking up the thread, sperglord.
>>
>>52703510
That's one way to bump the thread, I guess. Do you have an argument against the math?
>>
>>52677467
Careful, brother anon: you're bein' trolled by stale pasta....
>>
>>52630855
What's the interesting mechanic?
>>
>>52633437
Its kind of cute when OSR players talk about mechanics common to modern games and think they are revolutionary. Like they missed out of twenty years if game design.
>>
>>52631553
I don't mean this as an insult like most people on the Internet do, but I just want to let you know that that's kind of faggy.
>>
File: 1483825101199.gif (443KB, 480x238px) Image search: [Google]
1483825101199.gif
443KB, 480x238px
>>52703538
Do you have a life?
>>
>>52703656

It is an odd thing. Despite a very different approach and some antagonism between the communities, from an outside perspective OSR stuff and a lot of indie RPGs end up looking weirdly similar.
>>
File: 1483988342005.jpg (39KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1483988342005.jpg
39KB, 1280x720px
>>52703656
It's kinda cute when kids talk about 'new' mechanics as though they are somehow 'good'. Like they just eat up whatever they're fed without any discrimination or critical thought at all.
>>
>>52642004
Its pretty great. The system is solid and simple, it's not going to get any awards, but it works. It reminds me of White Wolf. The o lyrics problem is that the lore ( which is amazing) is almost too thick to run anything.
>>
>>52643821
What the fuck.
>>
>>52678251
That's not as clunky as I expected, but still pretty rough.
>>
>>52703718

There's a lot more crossover than you might think.
>>
I've literally never seen any of the ORE games mentioned on /tg/, and I've been here for a fucking decade.

Better Angels is fucking great, A Dirty World is great, GODLIKE is a fucking masterpiece, and Reign is dope.
>>
>>52704087

Wild Talents gets mentioned in superhero threads fairly often, and I've seen a couple discussions of A Dirty World over the years, but ORE could definitely use some more love.
>>
>>52697613
>>52699669

Sorry for the delay, let me answer your questions. Hopefully your still around to see this.

First things first the basics of the system. Rather than use dice, this game uses "runes". The two primary stats of your character are how many runes you have, and how many runes you can draw out of your rune bag at once. Runes represent your ability to take actions, and also serve as your health. When your making a skill check, or it's your turn in combat etc you draw runes which you then can play to take actions. More runes drawn at once = more actions and more opportunities to draw the rune you need in skill checks (there are three kinds of runes, physical mental and spiritual, and different checks can require different types of runes. For instance if i was trying to climb something it would require physical runes.) When you are hurt or make a sacrifice, you remove a rune from your bag and start it down the damage track. In this way as you are injured you grow weaker and less able, since as you loose runes you loose abilities, and even if I could theoretically draw three runes if there are only two in my bag I'm only going to be able to draw two.

If you take enough damage that all of your runes end up in the death box at the end of the damage track, then you have died. But, do not worry, because death is not a bad thing. You see when your character dies, there is a chance for them to go to Valhalla. If your character goes to Valhalla you level up. Not your PC. You ,the player, level up and are given more character creation options. Ultimately you are given the option to bring back your dead characters as an Einherjar and play them again. Because of this Character death is not a tragedy, it's actually an objective in a way. You want to get characters to Valhalla to level up.

While you do not have to play it as such, the game is intended to allow player to play as Vikings at the onset of Ragnarok.

The rune system works great. Any more questions?
>>
>>52705277
Another meta currency game - that's unfortunate, imo. I need immersion, with as little gameyness as possible. Our group is not a bunch of people having a laugh with a game: we try to live our characters as realistically as possible.
Not saying any of that is bad, just not our bag. Thanks for the info - any other good things about this game?
>>
>>52705446

out of curiosity do you object to the rune system or the death mechanic? Because I would argue that the rune system is no more likely to break immersion than rolling dice, but if you don't like the death mechanic I can understand that, though most people I've met have really liked it.
>>
>>52705446

I also am somewhat offended by your characterization of my group. I assure you we are roleplayers, not rollplayers, and we've never had difficulty immersing ourselves in this.
>>
>>52705544

Some people have a very fragile sense of immersion. It's always struck me as strange, but it's common enough that you see a lot of games catering to them.
>>
>>52705501
I can get behind the death thing - that's no problem. It's the magical bag o' runes that throws me. How does a 6-rune bag, from which I may draw 2 per turn, reflect my character Hrothgar the Bloody? What differentiates him from my friend's character with 6 runes/2 per turn? My friend is playing Frithiof the Singer, the antithesis of Hrothgar in every way.
We need stats to reflect the characters abilities specifically. If everyone has the same bag o' runes, and the only difference in characterization is in the choices the players make, then...there is no structure to be creative; everyone will just choose to do whatever they feel like, without restriction, even though Hrothgar and Frithiof are completely different characters.
It seems like H and F would have different types of runes in their bags, perhaps. If this is the case, it still doesn't seem to help, as they could both still make the exact same draw in any given turn - this could seriously restrict the player's choices arbitrarily, it seems to me. If I'm Frithiof, and I want to trick the enemy into not fighting us, and I draw all physical runes, it seems like I'm stuck fighting, running, or hiding, and can't use my silver tongue at all.
Unless there's more to this system you've not yet told us....I'm only guessing based on yer post....

OH, and don't waste time trying to take offense when none is intended. That just hurts you.
>>
File: 1491181188636.jpg (30KB, 459x423px) Image search: [Google]
1491181188636.jpg
30KB, 459x423px
>>52705658
Tsk tsk - engage in polite conversation or fuck off. Your faltering attempt to troll is amusingly pedestrian.
>>
>>52705967

What about that is impolite? It's a factual statement without judgement.

Some people seem to lose the ability to be immersed in a game and a character when they have to actively engage with mechanics that do not have a one to one relationship with the 'reality' within the game.

I've never been troubled by this, hence I would describe my sense of immersion as robust. Other people claim that the slightest trace of it ruins the experience for them, hence their sense of immersion is fragile. Neither is better or worse, they just require different games to cater to their tolerances.
>>
>>52671650
Be the change you want to see anon. It honestly looks like gming is gonna be a breeze, it's recommended the players get a flat 500 xp per 4-5 hour session, just have some stat blocks ready in case a fight breaks out, a loose plot you can add or take from on the fly, and boom, games good to go.
>>
>>52706134

I love the setting of DtD, but my group preferred the high power/high action bent of it while the design team tried to dial things down a bit, so we ended up running the setting using a different system.
>>
>>52706040
You see how much more polite yer second post is? Do that more.
And, now that you've splained yerself much better, I see your point. And it is a good and true point. OSR folks would seem to be 'robust' in their sense of immersion, like yourself. They like to plan things out and game the game, so it seems.
I suppose my objection to that attitude must be the notion that you can't really 'win' an rpg, so the whole exercise is pointless. Honestly, some of our group's best games have been when we've gotten our asses handed to us, which would drive the gameist players absolutely insane.
Again, nothing wrong with the gameists per se; they're just not me and our group.
>>
>>52706223

Both his posts sounded polite to me, dude.
>>
>>52705915

I suppose my explanation wasn't clear enough. I'll spell it out, and I'll go a little more in depth.

First things first, they would have diferent runes. There are different kinds of runes, and different characters runes are not the same. For example using the six rune example Hrothgar would probably have mostly physical runes and the singer would probably favor mental or spiritual runes and have fewer physical runes. This would effect what kind of things they would be good at. Hrothgar would be much better at checks that required physical attributes than the singer. Different characters do not all have the same runes, they have a collection of runes that reflects their attributes. You could say runes are a type of stat. More physical runes = better physical "stats" so to speak, because you are that much more likely to draw one when you need it. There isn't a preselected amount of each your character gets. For instance hrothgar could have 4 physical out of his 6 total to represent his physical prowess, wheras the singer might have 3 or 4 mental to represent their quick wit. I saw one guy play a Galdr who had 5 spiritual right from the start, and just about nothing else. Couldn't do much otherwise, but if you needed a ritual or a curse performed he was your man.

Furthermore each character has passive abilities, active abilities, and skills, depending on your choices and character archetype, which make them unique.

There is no risk of everyone's characters being the same mechanicaly speaking. You will end up with very different characters even if two people pick the same archetype, because they will have different runes and they will select different skills and abilities. There is quite a large selection of options.

Does that clear things up? I hope that made sense, I'm mother very good at explainin things. Any more questions?
>>
>>52706771

Fucking autocorrect. *not very good at explaining things.
>>
>>52705915

Now as to your question. Yes, there is a chance you won't draw the runes you need, just like how in a standard d20 system there is a chance you will flub the roll. It's the element of randomization.
>>
>>52705277
I really like this.
>>
>>52665724
That's not actually what killed it, it was dev drama completely unrelated to that that took place years afterward.
>>
If you're feeling creative with your options and don't like heavy rules? Car Wars.
>>
>>52706223
fuck off
>>
>>52706195
The design team? Is that for the /tg/ homebrew stuff that got added recently, and not LawfulNice's original stuff?
>>
>>52703746
The problem with the lore being to thick to run anything was even worse in the old version. They actually did a lot in Rebirth to make it more playable.
>>
File: Fragged-Empire.jpg (81KB, 708x404px) Image search: [Google]
Fragged-Empire.jpg
81KB, 708x404px
>>52630621
Have we ever talked about Fragged Empire? The system is weirdly miniature-centric, but has some interesting ideas, but what sold it to me was the idea of humans as the long dead ancient race of legends.
>>
>>52712729
That's what I've heard. I haven't actually read the original, but I skimmed through the pdf and looked at the rad art. I also heard the system was pretty shit in the first.
>>
>>52713035
>I also heard the system was pretty shit in the first.

You heard right. while it wasn't fundamentally broken, It had why to little crunch, for it's own setting and required why to much min-maxing. I still played and hat fun with it, but when Rebirth came out, it was a godsend.
>>
File: nervous positive affirmation.png (351KB, 631x709px) Image search: [Google]
nervous positive affirmation.png
351KB, 631x709px
>a thread where a significant proportion of posters politely disagree or agree about obscure products
>they declare a system was good at X but concede it wasn't so good at Y

what is happening
where is the horse and rider and the thinking in absolutes
>>
>>52714130
I suspect it's because these games have small fanbases, which means they also have small... hate-bases I guess, which means that the opinions surrounding them are less polarized.
>>
File: IMG_3247.jpg (45KB, 567x437px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3247.jpg
45KB, 567x437px
>>52686776
>mfw my favorite childhood author died and I didn't even know until just now
>>
>>52703656
>>52703718
>OSR players
DCC isn't OSR. It's a 3.5 variant
>mechanics common to modern games
out of curiosity, are you talking about the mighty deeds thing or the "don't calculate xp for every monster" thing?

Although the xp thing is relatively common, the mighty deeds mechanic itself is a fairly good idea even in other modern games.
>>
>>52641540
Fate and PbtA are still considered a good system by most people here tho
Honeslty, I think dungeon world is the worst thing to have happened to storygames. It created a massive backlash against them.
>>
>>52643821
>that cover
lol
how can anyone deny that this shit isn't a fetish thing
>>
>>52644688
>encourage roleplaying
I've read most of the systems in this thread, and most of the systems discussed regularly on /tg/, since I don't have much to do

but I still don't understand what kind of things "encourage roleplaying".
My own experience played is limited, but I've played vampire the masquerade, shadowrun, Legend of the 5 rings, and D&D and didn't really feel there was anything that encouraged me to roleplay more one one system over the others.
>>
>>52722662

None of those are systems with narrative/'roleplaying' mechanics.
>>
>>52722662
>None of those are systems with narrative/'roleplaying' mechanics.

really?
I thought world of darkness was super focused on roleplaying, at least thats its reputation, and apparently roleplaying didn't exist in 4e so 3e must have some form of "roleplaying mechanics"?

Can you tell me a concrete example of a system with a roleplaying mechanic or mechanic that encourages roleplaying so I can read it and figure it out?
>>
>>52722540

>Honeslty, I think dungeon world is the worst thing to have happened to storygames. It created a massive backlash against them.

I dunno, there was a ton of anti-storygame shitposting here before DW.
I think the thing is DW gets it from both sides, the grognards hate it for getting storygames in their D&D, and the indie hipsters hate it for getting D&D in their storygames. And the result is that angry anons from both sides have to shit on it in an exaggerated fashion all the time, and this derails and drowns out other discussions.

>>52722808

WoD talks a big game about "the story" but its mechanics have nothing to do with it whatsoever. In fact they're more appropriate to a superhero game than what they're used for IMO
Take a look at Burning Wheel sometime, and see how the mechanics encourage and facilitate the construction of character arcs over time.
>>
>>52722844
>Burning Wheel

I will take a look, thanks.
>>
>>52722808

4e has no more or less support for roleplaying than 3.5. When people complain about that, they're either talking about their fragile immersion being broken by a set of robust, unobfuscated mechanics, or complaining about the loss of out of combat 'solve problem instantly' spells for casters.

FATE or Powered by the Apocalypse are two of the most famous games with a strong focus on narrative/pure roleplaying as part of the mechanics, and there are others which are less focused but still incorporate them into the system.

>>52722844

That always did strike me weird about WoD. The actual mechanics and how they worked seemed almost entirely unrelated to what the systems claimed they wanted to focus on or do, just acting as this really arbitrary and kinda clunky layer that nobody seems to particularly like.
>>
>>52706223
>which would drive the gameist players absolutely insane.
you couldn't be more wrong.

OSR is all about having the DM be impartial. Player character death is not only accepted, it is expected.
>>
myfarog
>>
>>52722602
Being fetishy isn't mutually exclusive with being a good RPG system. See also: Ironclaw.
>>
>>52705277
what is the usual scenario? is it high fantasy middle earth?
>>
I've never seen a thread about the Runed Age rpg and my group plays that quite a bit now. We're also getting onto the beta for their new zombie game.
>>
>>52630621
Don't Rest Your Head. Amazing setting, threats are threats, and everyone knows the feeling of being up too late, when the streets are empty and something feels off...
>>
>>52641508
Honestly? Because if you're playing a game about wizards, you want to play as the wizard. Not as the Igor who's actually doing things while your wizard spends multiple campaigns faffing about in a lab somewhere.

>>52641540
>>52641621
Dungeon World is shit because you can't make your own characters, but Fate is awesome.
>>
File: Huh.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
Huh.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>52724612

>you can't make your own characters

Do you even know how to RPG?
>>
>>52724656
Okay. I want to make a dwarven wizard that pompously likes to wear a noble's tunic and talk like he's full of himself. Do I pick the human racial feat or the elven racial feat? And how do I pick a noble's tunic if I can only pick from wearing a ratty grungy robe, a sparkly brilliantly-colored robe, or a boring brown robe?

Oh, and how do I give him a beard? I only have three choices for hair, and none of them involve beards.

Do I pick his name off of the human list, or the elven list?
>>
File: ditv.jpg (88KB, 920x518px) Image search: [Google]
ditv.jpg
88KB, 920x518px
Dogs in the Vineyard is a system my group started playing a few months ago and we absolutely adore it.

The thing I like most about it is it tends to not let the rules get in the way of the narrative. Plus our minmaxer hasn't been able to fuck everything up by screwing the curve.
>>
>>52724725
>Do I pick the human racial feat or the elven racial feat?

Talk to your DM, or use the homebrew dwarven wizard racial feat that's been floating around in that "racial moves complete" pdf since like 2013 or so.

In the implied (AD&D) setting, dwarves ain't wizards. (In AD&D they were so non-magical that they had natural magic resistance - spells fizzled on them all the time) If you want to go outside the implied setting, go right ahead. It's easy to do so, and if your DM's scared for some reason there's a whole section of the book on homebrewing stuff, just to help him out.

>And how do I pick a noble's tunic if I can only pick from wearing a ratty grungy robe, a sparkly brilliantly-colored robe, or a boring brown robe?
>Oh, and how do I give him a beard? I only have three choices for hair, and none of them involve beards.
>Do I pick his name off of the human list, or the elven list?

I think it was John Harper who said: "When you pick your character's name off the top of the list, you're playing Dungeon World. When you write your own name in, you're playing ADVANCED Dungeon World."
In other words: write your own in, you giant retard. The default suggestions are not ironclad rules.
>>
I like HERO but it seems like it only gets brought up in the context of Gurps' autistic big brother
>>
>>52724725
>Can I be a dwarven wizard?
>Sure. What do you think the racial trait should be?
>X,Y,Z
>Sounds good, you want to pick a name from a dwarf list?
>Yeah, thanks. Can I fluff my sparkly robe as a noble's tunic?
>Yes.

Alternatively
>Can I be a dwarven wizard?
>There aren't any in this world, why aren't there?
>world build together
>>
>>52724861
>>52724927
>The answer is homebrew

Let's assume we're a roguish fellow in a castle, having a duel with an arrogant noble. But instead of having a proper combat duel, I just want to anger him a bunch and make an escape, to cause him to rage against the thieves' guild for unrelated reasons.

So, I piss him off, mock him during combat. What move is that? It's not Parley, because Parley requires specific 'leverage', and there's no other Move that allows manipulation of other people. So I'm fucked at step one. But let's say that the GM is kind and lets me piss him off without requiring a roll.

So now to escape, I can't unless I made the distinct decision to take the Escape Route feat, otherwise I just have to plod out like a normal commoner, and I'm fucked. No climbing up and out a window, no cutting the rope holding up a chandelier and sailing straight up and out, nothing like that. I'm just plain fucked.

Dungeon World tries hard to be a heavily-trimmed down version of AD&D. It's too granular, with set select abilities or 'moves' people can do, and anything outside of those 'moves' isn't something the core book allows you to do. Everything is iron-clad, and You Cannot Do It if it's not either in the book or homebrewed by the GM, which means you're playing mother-may-I. The rules are A) too tight and B) don't have enough options to loosen that tightness. If they had more moves everyone could use, or more character options picked per level, things would be better. But they're not.
>>
>>52725162

The rules are pretty clear on this. If there isn't a specific move to handle a situation then either you use Defy Danger, or else it's "the players look at you to see what happens" and the GM makes a move.
If you're fighting him and trying to enrage him rather than actually fight him, then I'd have you Defy Danger with the risk being that while you're taunting him he gets a good cut in and now you'll leave a trail of blood for his men to track you with.

>I can't unless I made the distinct decision to take the Escape Route feat, otherwise I just have to plod out like a normal commoner, and I'm fucked. No climbing up and out a window, no cutting the rope holding up a chandelier and sailing straight up and out, nothing like that. I'm just plain fucked.

What on earth makes you think you can't do that stuff without a specific move for it? Escape Route just allows the thief use his best stat for escaping regardless of what he's doing and limit what the 7-9 results will be to something he can predict.

>Everything is iron-clad, and You Cannot Do It if it's not either in the book

Nonsense, the rules can be used for anything and everything the players come up with. Homebrewing new moves (which every campaign's DM ought to be doing for things that will come up often or which are important in some way) just allows you to create moves to handle specific situations in appropriate ways rather than use the general Defy Danger moves, because doing so gives the players a better handle on what's likely to happen.

If you want more moves and options than you can get from character sheets and compendium classes, take a look at the Class Warfare splatbook.
>>
>>52725388
>What on earth makes you think you can't do that stuff without a specific move for it?
Because that's the entire point of having advanced moves at all! Why in god's name would someone make an RPG, add a handful of classes with their own special features and abilities if there's absolutely no point in actually picking any of these classes! If everyone can do everything, why even decide?

They also cut out a lot of the good parts from Apocalypse World, and I don't like the whole '10+ is unconditional success, 7-9 is conditional success, and 6 or lower is failure'. That and earning XP from failing just seems counterintuitive.

There's a lot of disparate reasons I dislike dungeon world.It could even just be that the way it read rubbed me the wrong way, and all of my reasons for disliking it were just made up as excuses, I'm not sure. I just know that I didn't like it.
>>
>>52725494
>>52725388
>>52725162
And this is why we don't talk about these games.
>>
>>52725494
>If everyone can do everything, why even decide?

Because if you have the moves, you have a better control over what happens than if you don't, which is what I just told you.

>>52725596

Yeah, I usually don't bother to talk about DW on here anymore, but at least he's actually talking to me instead of just memeing at me over and over like I'm used to getting on /tg/.
>>
>>52714130
>where is the horse and rider and the thinking in absolutes
In any other thread where "the system that shall not be named here" is named and editioned
>>
>>52725658
you like a shitty game, you deserve to be memed over just like people who still cling to D&D 3.5
>>
>>52722808
>concrete example of a system with a roleplaying mechanic or mechanic that encourages roleplaying
Something like A Dirty World or Better Angels has that feel to me but I am also not entirely sure exactly what you are after.
Your stats/skills in those systems are also kind of a sliding scale of character traits that you can slide in "combat", so you can attack someones generosity to slide it to greed or vice versa.
>>
>>52722808
It doesn't even need to be a storygame for mechanics to support roleplaying/narrative.
Actions in D&D and Vtm come down to saying, "I activate Blood of The Ancient Pnaemus, here are the rules..." or , "I activate Sword of Ferocious Lunging, here's what it does..." After all that gamespeak and rolling, -maybe- you have energy to describe how that looks.
On the other hand, a game like Savage Worlds bases the modifiers of an action based on the scope of what you're trying to do, like multi-actions, multiple targets, pushing prone as part of the action. The roll doesn't depend on activating a power with canned minirules and fluff attached, the roll depends on you describing what you're trying to do.
Backloading action description as results like in VtM and D&D means roleplay is optional to those actions. In Savage Worlds, the description is frontloaded and the result is actually an effect appropriate to the nuance of that description. Hell, most D&D spells even have their own canned failed result built in.
>>
>>52631492
I liked it pretty well. The Wound level system was very intuitive for me and I went with D6's Body Point equivalent to HP. The dynamic combat rules for dodge, parry, and soak rolls felt wrong to me too. I opted for the Static Defenses option present in the book. Having to roll initiative each round was odd too.

It is a system that I had fun with but we had to use a lot of the optional rules to make it fun and had to throw in a couple house rules to fix things for our play group. Not a perfect game but I don't have nearly as much of a shit taste in my mouth as >>52641814 .
>>
>>52669922
As much as I enjoyed mini six. I have to agree, the book always felt like it should have been in a different order or something.

Everything was made to be just a bare mechanic system you throw your own things around it but it doesn't explicitly say that anywhere that I remember in the book.

The given magic system was pretty uninspiring. Almost had to come up with your own setting spell lists or just play no magic.
>>
File: 1406156332061.png (2MB, 779x1053px) Image search: [Google]
1406156332061.png
2MB, 779x1053px
Dungeons the dragoning

the fact that it works nicely when it looks so awful is marvelous

although it had a brief revival recently
>>
>136 posters

I fucking refuse to believe it. I always see the exact same posts in the exact same order in these threads.
>>
>>52733663
There aren't incredibly many gems in terms of RPG design out there, and a good portion of what does exist would be either forgotten or known-but-not-played by the young folks posting on /tg/.
>>
>>52641851
I've seen very little of it besides some tables that look like someone just took Dnd 3.5 and maximized the autism. Is there anything it does that other systems don't do better?
>>
>>52733365
What the fuck IS Dungeons the Dragoning? At first I thought it was the name people had jokingly given a new edition of MTG, or maybe some kind of non-existant game like Calvin Ball.
>>
>>52733987
see >>52733518
>>
>>52734012
Not an answer.
>>
>>52734027
but it fucking is

your fucking answer is in that other thread

you stupid cunt, please die
>>
>>52734052
Yeah, that's a link to another thread. Not an answer, sweetie. It would have been quicker for both parties and less fucking autistic on your end to just give him an answer.

You're not on /a/. Don't act like you are, no one remotely fucking likes them.
>>
>>52734136
let me show you /a/
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=let+me+google+that+for+you
>>
>>52734156
>Still not answering the question.

:^)
>>
>>52734208
I did, twice

you are too fucking stupid to understand the answer
>>
File: IMG_3980.jpg (13KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3980.jpg
13KB, 300x168px
Marvel Superheroes RPG from the 80's. The character creation is one of the best. Completely random for all stats and powers. Think up a name at end.

James Bond RPG - simple mechanic but very effective.
>>
>>52655498

Glad people are workin on this, thanks so much. Been interested for years but nobody would play it anyway so not exactly champing at the bit. Looking forward to the finished translation.
>>
>>52680046

I think Cortex and Cortex+ are great systems but I wish they'd release generic books rather than the licensed stuff. I mean licensed stuff is nice or w.e but they should come out with the core book with generic information and then release the licensed ones as supplements, not standalone games or w.e.

I don't wanna play no smallville game.
>>
>>52734409
It shouldn't take too long for all of the mechanical bits and bobs (can't estimate though, sole translator is a well-adjusted normalfag). We've finished double-checking all Positions and Classes on the wiki, and Armaments. Next up is double-checking Mutations and Enhancements. New Enemy Parts have been added. Scenarios will come afterwards, and finishing Scenarios means finishing the core rulebook.

Hopefully, once all is said and done, we'll be able to make a PDF for people to use and pass around.

Thank you for your support. We're always happy to see people playing Nechronica!
>>
>>52734409
For what it's worth, keep an eye out for Japanese Table Top RPG threads JTTRPGs. Nechronica pops up often there and it's a good place to find other players too.
>>
>>52734012
Actual guy who asked here, thanks
>>
>>52734886
jesus christ, you are welcome
>>
>>52733942

It generates shitty meme threads?
>>
File: 1256460321647.jpg (381KB, 985x1365px) Image search: [Google]
1256460321647.jpg
381KB, 985x1365px
So I know about several fantasy systems, a couple of cyberpunk and pretty much all the 40k "sci-fi" systems, but know nothing about vanilla and hard sci fi and post apocalyptic systems. Can anyone point me to the most popular ones for that?
>>
>>52736267
Eclipse Phase.
GURPS has a lot of sci-fi products. Transhuman Space is a setting for it, but use GURPS 4e and Changing Times along with the core setting book - 3e had a lot of problems. You can also run pretty hard sci-fi in it if you're willing to put in the work.
Silhouette 2e can be used for hard sci-fi.
Fate has a few settings, like Nova Praxis and Diaspora.
Don't know any others.
>>
>>52736267
For post apoc, there's Apocalypse World; worth a read, even if you prefer something less narrative.
>>
>>52736267
>>52736355 here, remembered some more
Savage Worlds has a sci-fi companion, but it's not hard sci-fi. It can also do post-apoc. GURPS is really good for post-apoc with the After the End books. There's also Degenesis, which I read and didn't really care for, but you might enjoy it. It's deeply rooted in its setting, though, if that matters to you. There's also Nechronica, but that's a very specific flavor of post-apoc (characters are zombie cyborg/mutant children in a dead world, long after humanity has come to a close).
>>
File: Orbital.jpg (59KB, 367x524px) Image search: [Google]
Orbital.jpg
59KB, 367x524px
>>52736267

Traveller handles general sci-fi well, and the Mongoose 1e Traveller has a hard-SF setting called Orbital.
>>
Mekton Zeta. Mechs. Tanks. Mecha-Tanks. Transformers.

Fite me.
>>
>>52737033

Not with that arsenal, I'm not. I would need some kind of legion of robot dinosaurs or something first.
>>
>>52737033

I prefer super robots
>>
>>52737122
Fuckin'.... Despite Mekton having complicated as fuck rules, you can actually get four friends and make Voltron. Friends don't automatically come with Mekton though, you have to get those yourself at the game store.
>>
File: 1413059943094.jpg (249KB, 768x994px) Image search: [Google]
1413059943094.jpg
249KB, 768x994px
Why it's never discussed will forever be a mystery to me, but this is hands down the greatest system ever created
>>
Now that the thread is dying, may as well throw in Cryptomancer.

It has a more exciting/realistic approach to hacking than all of the cyberpunk games I've read combined.

>>52737033
I prefer Battle Century G and Strike!
>>
File: 1492194904514.jpg (29KB, 528x543px) Image search: [Google]
1492194904514.jpg
29KB, 528x543px
>>52726832
>After all that gamespeak and rolling, -maybe- you have energy to describe how that looks.
>muh, rules are hard, yo - better to just make it all up
>>
>>52738262
>Not having the system describe your actions for you with its mechancis
>>
>>52722940
But the object of the players is to win, not to lose; losing would hurt them. I'm not saying the player deaths would be unexpected, just unappreciated, since the players want primarily to 'win'. Their object is defeating the dm's dungeon and winning the loot. Having their objective thwarted would be maddening.
Now, if the players' objective is to have a good time, all this is moot. But, often, people playing games play them to win, not to have fun....
which is of course a different way to play.
>>
>>52722808
Huh - none of those responses answered your very simple question...I too would like to know an example of a roleplaying mechanic.
>>
>>52722119
He lives in your memories - honor him!
>>
>>52709893
Sorry you took offense to a neutral post, anon - do you get mad at neutral things a lot? Do you have anger issues? You should seek help.
>>
>>52738550
Mechanics that let the player influence and interact with the story itself are the most notable examples.

Look at Fate for its aspects, or Fate points (and the system surrounding them, most notably, compels).
>>
>>52738608

>neutral post

He was right to say "fuck off." That post was downright condescending.
>>
>>52706771
Nice! You're a fine mother....
Our groups tend toward immersion and strategy and precision (to a degree). They need to be able to plan things out, at least vaguely. This 'random pool' style seems to preclude any sort of preplanning, since you cannot know from round to round what your resources are going to be.
Now, i'm probably interpreting your viking game wrongly: but, from what I've so far gathered, it's possible that good ol' Frithiof the Singer could draw all physical runes on the very round wherein he wants to use his silver tongue. This means he cannot make the attempt, but has the option to do some physical thing? Or, does it mean his singing attempt fails?
>>
>>52738734
Not totally familiar with Fate, so bear with me if i get it wrong: those sound like story-influencing mechanics, not rules that encourage role playing. I was thinking of rules that encourage me to adopt my character and his/her personal attributes, even if doing so is detrimental to my character or the story. Anything along that line?
>>
>>52738832
That's what a Compel is. "I roleplay in this way detrimental to me, and I get a fate point for my trouble."
>>
>>52738872
And a fate point does what? That's where the story influence comes in? Gives you bonus to roll/auto success?
>>
>>52738940
You can spend a fate point, among other things, to get +2 to your rolls or re-roll (which is better when you roll -2 or less, or maybe it was -3), or activate an ability.
>>
>>52738984
You can also spend a Fate point to establish a setting information, i. e. "I know a guy who knows a guy who can help us in this city..." or something like that, from what I recall.

Meta currencies to influence the narrative are the most direct way of narrative mechanics, and they are a bit too direct for my taste, but that makes them good examples.
>>
>>52738984
That doesn't sound too bad - I'm trying to remember what problems I had with Fate....what are the usual complaints? Perhaps I thought it was too meta-gamey.....too non-immersive..........
>>
>>52739093
You might have to make a new thread for that. My complaint about Fate is that it's too low resolution, not enough crunch, not enough tactics. GURPS is my system of choice because of that.
>>
>>52739093

FATE's mechanics are generally weak. That isn't the point of the game, it isn't really trying to be a rigorous mechanical experience, but it can be a factor.

The meta-aspect puts some people off too, it very much embraces thinking outside of your character in that sense.

I appreciate and respect a lot of the design ideas in FATE but certain parts of the system, particularly the combat, just leave me intensely unsatisfied.
>>
>>52739052
>>52739052
Hey, thanx for that unexpected answer! Yeah, the metacurrency thing worried me......though, I suppose our group already more or less does that normally WITHOUT rules 'n shit......maybe I should give Fate another look over...
>>
>>52739172
Apocalypse Worlds and PbtA (Powered by the Apocalypse) games do that shit a lot more naturally imo.

There's also a bunch of Fate spinoffs that improve on the system, like the Atomic Robo RPG.

Hit up the PDF share thread and look around.
>>
>>52739115
>>52739120
Thanks, anonbros! Some reasonable descriptions of its shortcomings - very nice. Our group would need tactical/combat robustness......but character/roleplaying, and character interactions/relations are important, it seems to me.
And, since the thread is dying, no point starting up a whole new conversation...but Fate grants points for roleplaying disadvantageously - good to know.
>>
>>52739240
Hey, before we get shuffled off to the oblivion of the archive, can you give a quick rundown of what PbtA does differently? And thank you too!
>>
>>52739299
PbtA games (the good ones) are very focused on the genre they are emulating, usually based around relationships between characters (player and non-player alike) and the conflicts that arise.

It's hard to explain without sounding like a pompous jackass, but basically, PbtA games reorganize the way RPGs are usually played so that the fiction/narrative comes first.

It also doesn't use weird dice for no reason like Fate.
>>
>>52739253
>Our group would need tactical/combat robustness......but character/roleplaying, and character interactions/relations are important, it seems to me.

As long as you are not too hung up on simulation, and can deal with a pretty amateurish book, I'd recommend to give Strike! a check. It uses a mix of mechanics from more narrative games for skills but grid based, gamey tactical combat for combat.
Thread posts: 333
Thread images: 51

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.