[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So what, if anything, is a good and decently balanced system

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: alone on his bat.jpg (813KB, 1280x1954px) Image search: [Google]
alone on his bat.jpg
813KB, 1280x1954px
So what, if anything, is a good and decently balanced system for capes and supers?
>>
>>52612229
GURPS

I wasn't there for most of it but my game group ran a multi-year long campaign using Aberrant as the system.

I haven't tried it but I would like to run mutants and masterminds for my group.
>>
>>52612331
>GURPS
>mutants and masterminds
>balanced

Where can I buy the drugs you're using.
>>
>>52612229
Mutants and Masterminds 3e is about as balanced as you can get while being a supers game. But it realizes that there's no 100% way to balance so many broad and potent powers thus has put in advice for said things. Even then, the customization is great, but also the hardest part of getting into the system. Combat is still as easy as rolling a d20 though, and damage actually leaves you with conditions of you receive enough of it.
>>
Mutants and Masterminds isn't balanced on purpose. Superheroes aren't balanced which is why it'd yp to the GM to decode what kind of hero story you're running and what fits and what doesn't.
>>
I really liked savage worlds super hero companion for that. I didn't play a long campaign but we had a diverse group and it seemed very balanced
>>
>>52612229
Risus
>>
>>52612553

This
>>
Since when has any superhero team in the history of forever had "balanced" powers?
>>
>>52612553
What's the point of having a codified system if it's not going to have anything resembling balance?
>>
>>52614008
Giving you a framework and easily make educated guesses on effective powerlevel.
You can quite easily see what everyone excels at and how dangerous they are.
>>
>>52612366
>GURPS
>Not balanced
Hahahaha
>>
>>52614008
Because you can't fully balance superheroes. Or better say you can but do you want to slog through 10+ spreadsheets that change cost of powers depending on what story GM is trying to do?
>>
>>52612229
HERO system is balanced, but you also need to remember that this system requires the GM and the players to cooperate, more so than other games, because it includes powers like precognition and teleportation.
>>
>>52612849
MnM is balanced in terms of 'the numbers all add up,' where things get messy is where one guy has the ability to teleport and the other guy bought an army of goons and the third guy regenerates even if he dies and you have to find ways to make everyone at the table challenged reasonably. Or not, bc MnM is built to make it pretty easy for players to find and overcome bullshit-tier stuff on the fly.

In terms of people punching each other though; yeah it's balanced.
>>
If you want a balanced capes system, you'll need to use something narrative.

Batman isn't balanced with Superman in any mechanical focused ruleset. It's the stories that make them appear as equals.

M&M, HERO, GURPS all don't really care about balance, and are more focused on just having the rules on hand for building whatever you want.
>>
>>52613973
>Since when has any superhero team in the history of forever had "balanced" powers?
From a meta standpoint, games are usually less fun for some people if their characters have less ability to affect the game world in meaningful ways.

A good capeshit system can handle a mixed party of flying bricks and unpowered normies and allows the normie PCs to make mechanically significant actions that impact the outcomes of situations just as well as their teammates. A bad capeshit system doesn't give normies any mechanical ability to combat a superpowered character besides direct confrontation.
>>
>>52614925
What? No, that's literally the opposite of what I'm saying.

Why not just make shit up? Or use a rules-minimal thing like Risus. If you're not going to get some sort of balance out of filling out one page of spreadsheets, why have them?
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.