[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I created a table top game based on heroes and dungeon crawling

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 8

File: asn0080_web_front.jpg (172KB, 910x910px) Image search: [Google]
asn0080_web_front.jpg
172KB, 910x910px
I created a table top game based on heroes and dungeon crawling with only a single deck of cards with no dice or cardboard tokens.

I playtested it a guy who's part of a game design group and he made some complaints that I think were reaching, I think he actually liked it and was just trying to find problems.

What should I do to move forward?
>>
File: estelle.png (53KB, 179x192px) Image search: [Google]
estelle.png
53KB, 179x192px
Post the rules and his criticism so we can actually give you some feedback?

Otherwise you just sound kind of butthurt about it.
>>
More playtesting. Always more playtesting.
>>
>>52599834
This
>>
Keep playtesting dude
The opinion of one person is not enough
you need to test it with your friends a lot and refine it
then you need to test it on a group of people you don't know. Give them the rules and stand back and watch them play with no help or interference! you need to see if your rules make sense without anyone explaning them!
>>
>i made a thing and someone criticized it
>he should stop being so negative and he is innately wrong and it would have been correct to like it because I like it
>>
>>52599821
>playtest
>play test
>get critiques
>this is bad for some reason
?????????????????????????????
>>
File: scotchlaugh.jpg (109KB, 413x395px) Image search: [Google]
scotchlaugh.jpg
109KB, 413x395px
>>52599861
Nailed it.

Also...

>>52599851

This is good advice.

If you're going to create something, anything, you're going to be told it sucks and you suck a lot, especially when you create something brand new. Unless their criticism is entirely limited to "This sucks", write down every fucking thing they say, even if you think it's stupid.

Then playtest again, again, and again, and write down everything anyone says.

THEN take the stuff multiple people said was a problem and FUCKING FIX IT.
>>
File: 1491532991982.jpg (339KB, 1024x1381px) Image search: [Google]
1491532991982.jpg
339KB, 1024x1381px
>>52599834
>>52599843

Okay, since I have the prototype done.

There are three powers, strength which is a red circle with an axe, agility which is a green dot with a boot, and mind which is a blue dot with a brain.

Every player gets three heroes. Each hero has a single power of one of the three. The hero cards have either a spiral bound or a pie slice wheel revealing their stat increasing each level, where they either gain a new stat of their main one, or a mix of another. They also gain powers like reducing one power to add to another, or effecting the dungeon.

Each player has five cards in hand, and draws two cards up to five each turn.

The game is kind of like Blackjack. The top two cards of the deck are laid out face up, the monster cards may have special abilities and have powers listed on them. The players only have to match the most common power among monsters. Then, each player plays a card from their hand face down.

The goal is to play monsters that add to the stat you can beat, and add to the stat your opponents can't beat. You know 3/4ths of the dungeon, like your opponent, and you have to wager if you can beat it or not.

Then you decide, by who's turn it is, if you want to fight in the dungeon or not. Then the cards are revealed, and if you win, you level up a character, and if you lose you have to level down a character.

There's also trap cards. If they're in the dungeon they add power to the dungeon, and if they're in your hand you can play them on opposing players or on yourself for a boon.

You play until you beat one of the boss monsters in the deck, or if all of your characters hit level 6.

There's also relic cards, which act as power bonuses, and you can play those instead of a trap. If relics appear in the dungeon they add to the power, and whoever wins by the most gets it, or if there's a tie, the active player gets it, or the first one if there's multiple.

That's the game.
>>
>>52599969

The game scales for more players by getting a free level up per player over two, and the dungeon increases by a card, meaning players will only know 3/5ths or 3/6th etc. of what they'll be facing.

There's an element of cooperation there, because to leave the gate and get the first level or two will mean everyone is playing easy monsters with low power.
>>
File: EN_Monster_GelatinousCube_Header.jpg (582KB, 1920x600px) Image search: [Google]
EN_Monster_GelatinousCube_Header.jpg
582KB, 1920x600px
>>52599993

You might see a monster like gelatinous cube that has 2 strength, but its special ability is parties get -2 agility.

Which means even though strength might not be the most common power, if agility is, now players are fighting at -2.
>>
File: angrilyguzzlescoffee.jpg (87KB, 590x738px) Image search: [Google]
angrilyguzzlescoffee.jpg
87KB, 590x738px
>>52599969
Okay, that's barely making sense.

How many players are there? Are the players playing in opposition to one another, or is it a cooperative effort? What are the cards in the player's hands? Monster cards?

None of these rules are coherent or in order. I can't even imagine how the game would play under the rules as written, because you're jumping back and forth between concepts without explaining the step-by-step process of the game.

Where is the dungeon? Is it made up of monster cards? How do you and your opponent know 3/4ths of the dungeon?

NONE OF THAT IS COHERENT OR MAKES SENSE.
>>
>>52599821
> I think he actually liked it and was just trying to find problems.
That's the point of the design stage and playtesting, to find things people might take issue with in the final product. Nothing is perfect but it's all about finding as many wrinkles to iron out that the creators might be too close to notice.
>>
>>52600048

You have three heroes. They are level one.

You have five cards in hand. They could be monsters, traps, or relics.

Two cards are played face up from the top of the deck.

Players take turns playing a card face down from their hand.

Then players take turns deciding to fight the dungeon or not.

The players who fight in the dungeon all have one action. They can play a trap or a relic.

If they match the highest or one of the powers tied for highest they level up one character.

Continue until someone wins.
>>
>>52600058

The monster cards are kind of a dead draw. You need them to play into the dungeon to promote the sat you want, and the stat your opponents don't. That could be strength, or strength/agility, or strength/strength, or strength/strength/strength, etc.

He was wondering if they could be dual cards, and also work as traps or relics. I felt that overcomplicated something I was intentionally keeping simple.
>>
>>52600094

Although special abilities on characters, which grow, or unlock through leveling will add value.

A necromancer, for instance, can play a monster into the dungeon in place of a trap. or the thief allows multiple traps to be played, and those abilities could stack.

Taking turns picking your party is an added element of strategy to the game. You have to be careful, though, as picking characters that start with different powers like one strength, one agility, an one mind, will make the first level more difficult.
>>
File: 1491594330266.png (20KB, 310x317px) Image search: [Google]
1491594330266.png
20KB, 310x317px
>>
File: IMG_0911.jpg (254KB, 680x542px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0911.jpg
254KB, 680x542px
Maybe make a printable version for people to try at home once it's ready for more feedback.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.