[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do religious schisms and heresies possibly happen when there

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: 61669766_p0.jpg (842KB, 800x1018px) Image search: [Google]
61669766_p0.jpg
842KB, 800x1018px
How do religious schisms and heresies possibly happen when there are people who can directly and unambiguously commune with gods, and there are angels who can relay divine messages?
>>
>>52581851
The god delegates to angels or other servitor spirits while the god's attention is needed elsewhere. The lesser spirits disagree on something significant (or potentially something insignificant).
>>
>>52581851
>Schisms
Deity is lazy or doesn't actually care how his worshippers do [thing], but they decide they can. Deity is unresponsive. Deity encourages or facilitates such squabbles.
>Heresy
Really, this just a word a faith uses to describe "something I don't like because god" and extends to non-faithful or even nonsentients, so doesn't have shit all to do with unambiguous deific commune. Ex: Kelemvor's worshippers considering undead heretical.
>>
>>52581851
>and there are angels who can relay divine messages?

The angels themselves may have slightly varying interpretations on what the gods themselves believe - or may seek their own goals among mortals.

Also, "My God can beat up your God," but like cranked up to 1000x because we all know they actually exist.
>>
>>52581933
>Really, this just a word a faith uses to describe "something I don't like because god"
Go away, forty k
>>
>>52581851
The various priests who started the sub factions all still talk to the same god, but each got different messages.

The god in question did this in case if any one group fails, one might actually succeed and carry out his will. The infighting is a necessary evil.
>>
>>52582052

No fuck you, he's exactly right. Heresy is just a catch-all term for "you're doing a thing that threatens our divine rules and we don't like it"
>>
>>52581882
>The lesser spirits disagree on something significant (or potentially something insignificant).

First post gets it.

Literally Satan- not the post, but that's what Satan's deal was...So now everybody that disagrees with god gets sent to the timeout corner and I can only imagine satan is down there: enslaving the actual bad people, making an army of demons from the good people who were cast down, and waiting until ragnarok (judgement? What do christians call their apocalypse?) where he'll usurp god or something crazy.

Or, not, I mean it's been thousands of years- maybe he's gotten some perspective and likes humanity while yahweh won't talk to us anymore because he looked away to try and deal with the mormon demi-gods and he's back and now humanity is too powerful and agnostic to control.
>>
>>52581851
Same way political schisms happen IRL?

Like, which angels and gods are you supposed to listen to?
>>
>>52581851
>gods
Well, with heresy that's your problem right there. All the communing with actual gods doesn't do shit if each god is issuing the ol' "I'm the right god and you can't worship anyone else" commandment
>>
>>52582293
Hey, it's not my fault I opened that banana from the wrong side!
>>
>religious schisms
Cultists of any degree that found their deity's statblock, and found that its' HP is a finite number. It can bleed, and it therefore can be killed. Why call it a god?

>heresies
People that don't believe the above.

>people that can directly and unambiguously commune with gods
>angels
People that will tell the first group to stop looking at the statblock.

>illumination
The realization that the Heavens are reachable and that the angels also have statblocks

>pantheocide
Logical conclusion.
>>
>>52581851
Whose to say god A isn't actually just a sub aspect of god B?
Whose to say clerics aren't just a different form of sorcerer?
Oh and that time in our own history where you could say the same thing with a strait face yet every other town had their own pantheon and would gladly go to war just to ruin a statue of a bad wrong god someone else was worshiping two towns over.
Different gods for different folks is my go to fantasy cliche though. Farmers pray to their harvest deities, but it would be silly to expect a sailor to do the same. The divide isn't always that clear cut though, and of course whose to say the barley god is the same as the wheat god, you son of a bitch I bet my wheat failing this year was your god damn barley god's fault I'll fucking kill you.
>>
>>52582369
That's a really naive view on the bible. God is almighty, all benevolent, and all loving, and the very definition of sin is "dissent", in the original sense, a dissent from God. All actions or thoughts done in rebellion against God and his wishes are sin, and God permits it because He wants you to come to him of his own free will. A common question among agnostics and atheists is "If God exists, and is all-loving and all-mighty and all that, why does suffering exist? Why does evil exist?". The answer is that God isn't a tyrant, he's our primordial father. Sometimes we do things in opposition to Him, and that is alright with him, because He forgives you and knows you'll see His wisdom eventually. It's a really common error to think of God as a man, when He's really not. He was here before we were, and He'll be here long after everything else is gone. Anyways, I'm going on a religious rant here, in answer to your post, there isn't really a Ragnorok in Christianity, but there is Judgement day. It's when all dead are raised twice to be Judged twice(the second judgement you really don't want to be a part of), for those who accept Christ as their lord and saviour, and those who are not, and after Judgement day Christ reigns in the kingdom of God, which expands from Heaven to Earth, where everyone begins to build the eternal kingdom of God on Earth, sings the praises of God, etc everyday, and where you have to answer for every idle or empty word, misdeed, or action that dissented from God, aka sin, or shitpost depending on your interpretation. Basically Judgement day is the day where those who accept/accepted Christ are seperated from those who don't/didn't, sin is eradicated from the world forevermore, and you are rewarded for the lasting and good works you did for Him. The world doesn't end, there's not a big battle, there's just one day where God judges you along with everybody else. It's a big courtroom hearing, basically.
>>
File: The-Oven-of-Akhnai.pdf (552KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
The-Oven-of-Akhnai.pdf
552KB, 1x1px
>>52581851
God already set the rules, and he doesn't get to have a say in them anymore
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.