[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I cant decide between these two chess sets. https://www.ama

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

File: chesssets.jpg (407KB, 1475x999px) Image search: [Google]
chesssets.jpg
407KB, 1475x999px
I cant decide between these two chess sets.

https://www.amazon.com/Sized-Magnetic-Wooden-Portable-Chess/dp/B00JF0BBG8/ref=pd_day0_21_6?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00JF0BBG8&pd_rd_r=Z6X2T7HX9KFA2RRSH143&pd_rd_w=Ah29A&pd_rd_wg=ni37u&psc=1&refRID=Z6X2T7HX9KFA2RRSH143

or

https://www.amazon.com/Amerous-Folding-Magnetic-Standard-Chessmen/dp/B06XQCVV8Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1491467888&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=15%22+magnetic+chess+set&psc=1

On the one hand, the more expensive set is more aesthetically pleasing to me. The pieces are skinnier which would make them easier to move around and not bump into other pieces. They are also a little more unique.

But there is something to be said about standardized pieces. The cheaper set has pieces that look like every other chess set you've ever seen. Perhaps familiar pieces would be less daunting to people I play with. It is cheaper. I could almost buy 2 of the cheaper set for the price of the 1 fancier set.

They are both folding magnetic, and 15" in size.
>>
>>52567830
Most important is the contrast between btw whute and black squares (you want balance between softness and clarity).

Imo the more standard the pieces the better.

The ratio of piece size to square size. Square length should be comparable to the heigth of a rook.

Left set is better on all three.

>square numbers
unnecessary and distracting

>magnetic pieces
patrician
>>
>>52567830
>Perhaps familiar pieces would be less daunting to people I play with.
Do you play with literal retards incapable of functioning in society?
>>
>>52567957

You don't think that the contrast is better on the right set?

square numbers are also useful for people watching on the sidelines for discussion.

I will most likely get the left set but I want to hear more opinions.

>>52568155
You never know, even sometimes the smallest details can throw a person off.
>>
File: 1490660070255.png (144KB, 540x784px) Image search: [Google]
1490660070255.png
144KB, 540x784px
>>52567830
If making a $60 purchase is too hard for you, you basically failed at life.

how about you stop chess and get a fucking job.
>>
>>52568506
fuck you. the hell are you so asshurt about
>>
>>52567957
Square numbers are good if you're going to play chess blind. The Math/Tech Teacher who was also the master of all things IT at my highschool would play against people just by hearing positions while he sat his desk doing work.
>>
>>52567830
Go ask your mom. No one here gives a fuck.
>>52568522
Are you literally autistic? Seriously, are you?
>>
>>52568588
>wondering if a tiny aesthetic difference of a small chess set won't make players distressed
Do you still have to ask?
>>
>>52567830
>Perhaps familiar pieces would be less daunting to people I play with.
I kinda skimmed OP when I started this thread, but yeah. That's pretty fucking bad DESU.
That said the pieces on the right look ugly to me, I don't like the knight in particular. On the other hand I do like having the squares numbered, and I'm not autistic enough to have the rows/columns memorized.
>>
File: 40174_alt1-1024x674.jpg (135KB, 1024x674px) Image search: [Google]
40174_alt1-1024x674.jpg
135KB, 1024x674px
>>52567830
Get this classic Lego Chess it has a cool design and if you don't like it you can change it.
>>
File: LEGO-40158-Pirates-Chess-Set-Box.jpg (492KB, 2400x1800px) Image search: [Google]
LEGO-40158-Pirates-Chess-Set-Box.jpg
492KB, 2400x1800px
>>52567830
Or this one
its a pirate theme everybody likes pirates
>>
>>52570249
>That said the pieces on the right look ugly to me, I don't like the knight in particular.

Thank fuck somebody has called this out; that knight on the right hand side is a god damn abomination. The rook looks like a fucking goblet and the proportions of the pawn would make me want to stab whatever cunt thought this was a good set to play with. I'd rather play with fucking bits of paper cut out and marked with crayon by a retard than the set on the right and, by extension, I'd rather play with that scribbling drooling fucking moron than the twopenny twat that brought that chess set.
>>
>>52568226
Square number aren't useful you're supposed to know them already from when you learned to play. Plus you get slightly smaller squares because of it.

Contrast is better on the left one imo because you want a soft contrast. I think the right set is just too bright (both white and black squares).
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.