[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 393
Thread images: 37

File: Knight of Fairy Township.jpg (264KB, 998x1379px) Image search: [Google]
Knight of Fairy Township.jpg
264KB, 998x1379px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>Unearthed Arcana: Starter Spells
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-Starter-Spells.pdf

>Official survey on Unearthed Arcana: A Trio of Subclasses
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/9d26907ef733

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v8
https://mega.nz/#F!a0x0yDxT!vrjaWifa6I5_gwN0UfxhFA

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previously, on /5eg/
>>52560738
>>
druid
>>
Reposting from last thread...
Any ideas for my Ninja (Shadow Monk) character? So far I throw Kunai and do ninja handsigns when I cast my spells. I also run like a Naruto so that's pretty cool. As weeby as it sounds I wish I could use a Longsword (fluffed as a katana obviously) but for that I'd go Kensei from Reforged.
>>
Bring back 2e dual-classing.
You know you want it.
>>
>>52566342
Kys
>>
Has anyone faced an insanity of mind flayers and their elder brain? How'd you fare?
>>
>>52566358
...that's what 5e multiclassing is. Are you thinking of multiclassing where you progress as two classes at once?
>>
>>52566385
Naw man, we gotta bring back starting over at level 1 and being unable to use you abilities if you want experience.
>>
>>52566385
No, dual classing only superficially seems like 5e's multiclassing. What he apparently wants is that retarded 2E mechanic it had where you would lose everything the first class gave you but hit dice until you reached the same level in the second class. Then you'd get back the abilities you'd got, but you could never advance in the first class again, continuing levels in the second.

And only humans could do it.
>>
>>52566401
That isn't multi-classing. That's Dual-Classing.
>>
Has anyone tried gestalting in 5e?
>>
>>52566412
...Which is what i said I want to make a return.
>>
>>52566401
>>52566410
Oh, that part of Dual Classing. Honestly I kinda wish there was some penalty for Multiclassing because classes are so front loaded that it doesn't make sense for most people to never multiclass.
>>
>>52566342
Uhg.

Bolas, Blowgun, Shuriken
>>
>>52566410
FUCK YEAH!
There's gotta be some homebrew for this or something right?
>>
>>52566429
The only part I find questionable is how easy it is to take advantage of it to get armor proficiencies.
>>
>>52566429
You don't get the proficiencies the first level of that class would have got you.

For example, a Fighter 1/Bard 1 will have heavy armor, martial weapons, etc, but will only have one instrument and one skill, whereas a Bard 1/Fighter 1 will have three instrument and skill proficiencies, but no heavy armor.
>>
>>52566437
Yo! Good ideas. I also want to either have a mage cast explosive runes on my kunai or strap bombs to them.
>>
>>52566385

Two classes at once is called gestalt.
>>
Someone give me something other then Rogue that can get a bunch from a 2 level dip in Barbarian. I was thinking a Strength Spellless Revised Ranger but not sure how that would work in practise.
>>
>>52566470

Explosions are not stealthy.
>>
>>52566486
Fighter or paladin. They're both tanky enough to get a lot of mileage out of Reckless Attack, especially on GWM builds.
>>
>>52566470
Glyph of Warding would not work on your Kunais, and bombs are kinda hard to work with. ALSO >>52566495 is correct.
>>
>>52566481
Nah, old Multiclassing had you choose it at level 1 and you started as a level 1 Fighter and a level 1 Wizards for example. All your Experience was divided between the two classes and because of the way the experience for leveling up worked you were often something like a level 4 Thief, level 3 Cleric while everyone else was level 5. It often made you either OP or completely fucking worthless.
>>
I want to refluff rock gnomes to make them more like elemental earth fey and less like meme steampunk inventors. How do these abilities sound as replacements for Artificer's Lore and Tinker?

Earth Lore. Whenever you make an Intelligence (Nature) check related to rocks, gems, soil or other kinds of earth, you can add twice your proficiency bonus, instead of any proficiency bonus you normally apply.

Natural Elementalist. You know the mold earth cantrip. Intelligence is your spellcasting ability for it.
>>
>>52566510
Thought about Fighter but I'm playing a Fighter/Thief in a 3e game I'm in.

On the other hand those extra ASI would probably give me a good unarmoured AC.
>>
>>52566543
Artificer's lore is REALLY good for knowing magical items.
Your replacement isn't as good of a replacement.
>>
>>52565797
>>52565812
>>52565837
I'm already going rogue for sneak attack so damage shouldn't be a problem. What would be the best time to take one or two fighter levels for whip proficiency?
>>
File: 1486593003419.jpg (63KB, 497x388px) Image search: [Google]
1486593003419.jpg
63KB, 497x388px
>>52566342
>>52566470
>>
>>52566528
It's the reason they don't use it anymore to eliminate trap options. Then again they made the Wot4E archetype and thought that was ok.
>>
Is there any way to make a decent Dual Wielding Ranger or does the Bonus Action use make it worthless compared to Ranged?
>>
>>52566809
TWF is only actually good on a ranger. Throw Hunter's Mark on an enemy and go to town.
>>
>>52566716
1st level nets you heavy armor and martial weapons. Makes it pretty good to go first level.
You still get a good amount of skills by multiclassing into rogue.
>>
>>52566818
You can't move the Hunter's Mark without giving up your offhand attack. So by the time you move it on an enemy and hit them with 4d6+10 damage they're likely to be dead before you can even get an offhand attack on them.
>>
>>52566716
Whips are trash weapons so any time works. Either start Fighter so you have better HP and can wear medium armor in your vulnerable first couple levels, or start Rogue to get an extra skill and take your level of Fighter at 3rd, after having gained Cunning Action.
>>
>>52566379
It was the best thing that ever happened to me, anon. My life's been wonderful since I ran into them. Trust me. In fact, you should go head to your nearest one right now. I can show you the way.
>>
>>52566843
Even if you give up that one bonus action, that's 2d6+dex x2 at 5th level onward, x3 on turns when they're still up. That ain't bad considering the resource cost.
>>
>>52566809
I recommend a Ranger/Swashbuckler for the hunters mark, extra attack and sneak attack.
>>
File: IMG_6936.jpg (5MB, 2000x2635px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6936.jpg
5MB, 2000x2635px
Anyone done Barber of Silverymoon yet? Looks fun.

I utilized the hair mechanics via Jenny Greenteeth in another campaign when a player asked her for a haircut. Took an ungodly amount of damage through a failed roll but survived and now he has a nice ice knife hair.

http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/dragon/DRA12_barbersilverymoon_jbt.pdf
>>
Starting up a New game, and I intend to do a lot more high powered campaign than you ordinarily would.

My plan is to instantly kill the players, and have then brought back to life by a higher entity who wants them to do something cryptic. Not gonna spend more time explaining that.

The idea is to give them a weapon of their own choosing. This is an extraordinary weapon that scales with their level - they will never need another weapon.

How would you scale it? My first drafts look like:
Lvl 1: +1 to hit
Lvl 3: magic weapon +1 with a minor supplementing effect for their chosen archetype
Lvl 7: magic weapon +2 with an additional minor effect based on how they have played their character so far
Lvl 11: magic weapon +3 which empowers one of their class features
Lvl 15: magic weapon +4 which has a major effect that supplements how the character normally solves his problems.
Lol 19: magic weapon 5+, not yet sure what to do at this point, will probably change depending on how it all plays out.

We have had a lot of games from 1 to 20, so I know well get there.

How does this sound? What would you change?

I am not sure how to make it supplement a caster, but for starters, I am just allowing the +1 to hit to work when the caster makes a magical attack with a to-hit (like EB).

I want this to be a very big part of their power, and make them rely heavily on it. My main concern is that somebody picks a monk - could I get away with a "magic weapon" glove that supplements the unarmed strikes?
>>
File: gnomes_by_eoghankerrigan-d6o0dwr.jpg (371KB, 1600x1145px) Image search: [Google]
gnomes_by_eoghankerrigan-d6o0dwr.jpg
371KB, 1600x1145px
>>52566648
Thanks for the feedback. I'll have to take some time and think of a better trait that's still thematically appropriate.
>>
>>52566286
I fucking love OPs picture. That shit is High Elf as fuck.

Female unicorn knights? Feathers as aesthetic and decoration? Colours of the sky? Thin and delicate looking weapons and details, that don't truly betray any strength? Little magical animals, and all in a enchanted forest?

Fuck yes.
>>
>>52566873
It's a fun little adventure that makes a good side quest. The machine at the end can cause some weird results so unless you don't mind it I would remove it.

My players figured some stuff out and the Gnoll Monk went down the well and burst out into the main workshop, he went full Jackie Chan and was throwing people into shelves and stuff. It was one of his proudest moments as a Monk.
>>
Ceremony is the weirdest spell. I can already see the last-minute all-or-nothing marriages that will come out of that.
>>
>>52566880
>My plan is to instantly kill the players

Don't know if you're the same guy from the last thread, but I said to him he should just start the game with the characters already dead. Is there a reason you don't want to do that?

>could I get away with a "magic weapon" glove that supplements the unarmed strikes?

I don't see why not.
>>
>>52566920
Better yet, the awkward forced marriages that turn into sexual tension and then quickly blossom into true love.
>>
File: 1304825270773.jpg (243KB, 600x700px) Image search: [Google]
1304825270773.jpg
243KB, 600x700px
>>52566857

at 5th, DEX 18
S&B+Dueling:
2d8+2d6+8+4 = 28
2d8+2d6+8+4 = 28
= 56

TWF:
2d6+2d6+8 = 22
3d6+3d6+12= 33
= 55

TWF only wins out against Sword and Board if you spend 3 turns attacking the same enemy without moving/recasting your Hunter's Mark. Your AC is lower, your reaction attacks and Horde Breaker are weaker, and you need two magical weapons instead of one.

It has some use cases, but Rangers isn't one.
>>
Two questions:

What races have you omitted from your games and campaigns?

How would you stat Sea Elves as a PC race?

I'm contemplating not having dragonborn or tieflings and removing dark elves in favour of sea elves.
>>
>>52566974
>How would you stat Sea Elves as a PC race?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frDamZjCbkI
>>
>>52566974
Give them Amphibious, Swimming Speed, proficiency in Trident and Net, Wis +1
>>
>>52566900
Thanks my dude, I really like that picture too.
>>
File: mind flayers do not exist.jpg (48KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
mind flayers do not exist.jpg
48KB, 600x450px
>>52566379
Mind-whats? No idea what you're talking about anon.
>>
>>52566974
Only race I've ever removed is Half-Elves (and changed half-orcs to full-orcs), because I prefer the Elder-Scrolls approach of children always being the same race as the mother and thus half-races not existing. It does alot to cut down on special-snowflake characters who have like 12 different racial bloodlines.

As for statting sea-elves... eh, there are enough elf races already, but if you MUST do it, use the standard elf chasis and add in a swim speed (similar to how wood elves get additional land speed) and make their +1 stat constitution or something because swimming takes more stamina and than walking.
>>
>>52567028
Bretons are the half elves of Elder Scrolls. Not sure how you'd quite do them for 5e though. They don't scream elf because the mixing happened ages ago, so you can't just throw some basic elf shit on. Something magic humany.
>>
File: IMG_7010.gif (571KB, 245x151px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7010.gif
571KB, 245x151px
I run a weekly 6 player campaign with the potential for a 7th who keeps not making it.

We wrapped up a 5 month long campaign and everyone enjoyed themselves but I felt it wasn't very challenging for them.

>everyone starts new characters
>faf about LMoP as a breather
>spend all my time working on scaling the encounters up for party size
>party blows through them like it's nothing
>later get their asses beat and come close to a party wipe from three Bugbears in a Redbrand hideout that I didn't even mess with
>mfw sorcerer critical fails her first death roll
>>
>>52567016
>>52567028

What about taking the Dark Elf stat and reworking them so they have powers similar to the Triton and giving them an amphibious trait with a swim speed.
>>
>>52566974
Are sea elves elves that are excellent seafarers and divers or do they actually live underwater?
>>
>>52567082
Sea Elves in this case didn't abandon their homeland when it sank like fucking Atlantis, so they're changed by it and live in their sunken kingdom.
>>
>>52567052
Bretons aren't really half-elves though, because racial mixing doesn't happen naturally in Elder Scrolls. There was lots of magic fuckery and forced eugenics involved.
>>
>>52567114
I know, but for a long time I didn't. I found out after they were referenced as half elves somewhere, combining definitions to my memory.

Mechanically they do kind of show it, humans with better magic ties as starter bonuses and such.
>>
>>52567114
>>52567138
To be fair the "no half-races" shit was an obvious attempt to avoid representing all of these half-half races graphically.
>>
>>52567138
They're half elves in the sense that they have both eleven and human blood, yes, but that didn't happen naturally. A Nord woman and an Altmer man will still produce a Nord child, and an Altmer Woman and Nord man will produce an Altmer child, under normal circumstances. The Bretons are only possible because magical fuckery and eugenics experiments actually made the race-mixing possible when it normally isn't. Basically the elves wanted to create a "superior" race of slaves by forcing some of their own traits into the children of the humans they had enslaved.
>>
>>52567186
I know. I know how they came to exist. And that they're the only real example of a half anything in the setting while not being what D&D would call half-.

And I mean if all that fucking shit was needed for Bretons to happen then imagine how half-orc/orsimer equivalents would have had to happen. I bet someone already thought about it and way too much.
>>
>>52566286
>Marriage. You touch adult humanoids willing to be bonded together in marriage. For the next 24 hours, each target gains a +2 bonus to AC and saving throws while they are within 30 feet of each other. A creature can benefit from this ceremony just once.
>just once
But what if I want to be polygamous?
>>
>>52567228
Then you don't get +2 while your next partner does.
>>
>>52567228
They all have to be married at once. It doesn't specific how many humanoids can be part of the ceremony.
>>
>>52567228
Then they all get married at once, derp
>>
>>52566873
>>52566917
What happened when you reached the prismatic colouring machine?

Some of those effects look reasonably powerful or iffy for wealth (especially the gem one unless you limit how often they can cut it heavily, or the whatthefuck of your hair being a gateway to another plane of existence). Any hints or tips on how best to deal with them?
>>
>>52567264
I only had one PC try to use it. They ended up with the Lightning Hair for the Dragon Sorcerer thanks to some clever intimidation on the Evil Clone.

It didn't really change much but failing some of the saves can just completely fuck a PC up. So warn them out of character that this machine is very dangerous and likely to kill them.
>>
>>52567298
Oh come on, 35 damage probably won't kill a 4th to 6th level character.
>>
>>52567340
It's not the damage ones you have to worry about.
>>
I'm really excited to be playing a rogue in a campaign this Friday.

Will be the first time I've played an actual melee class in a p&p rpg.

Anyone got rogue stories to keep up the hype? Absolutely love the concept of the classic assassin in a fantasy setting.
>>
>>52566880
Firstly killing them by design is lame
Secondly why would a wizard want a +x magic weapon
>>
>>52566920
The secret to defeating the lich is that the killing blow must be struck by a married pair
>>
I remember reading a homebrew of a trait on here, where the characters nerves were damaged and the player could not see his own current hp while the DM kept track of his HP without revealing it. the PC had to do medicine checks to see his current hp.

I doubt anyone saved it. I wanted to know what bonuses it gave.
>>
>>52566415
I have a player who started Gestalt'd 3 Wizard/3 Artificer when the other players were level 1, since he was playing a really old guy who was supposedly a university professor.

Honestly, it's not that broken; a character can only do so much in a given turn, so while his individual actions packed a punch, he was still a squishy caster that could get killed in one lucky hit, so the fighter, barbarian, cleric, and bard had to work together to keep him alive/do the consistent damage. So far everybody's been enjoying it just fine.
>>
>>52566297
ghey
>>
>>52567422
>level 6 character plays with level 1s

Y tho
>>
File: chandra fire.jpg (309KB, 759x813px) Image search: [Google]
chandra fire.jpg
309KB, 759x813px
>>52567349
>>52567298
>>52567264
>>52566873

Not gonna lie, I do like the idea of fire hair, or gem hair.
>>
File: 1480053872342.jpg (548KB, 1409x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1480053872342.jpg
548KB, 1409x1000px
Any word on what the next adventure is going to be? I'm not too keen on TftYP and I really want another proper adventure...
>>
Caster barbarian when?
I want to be an angry prophet
>>
>>52567455
Dragon Barbarian when?

I want to fly and breath fire while raging.
>>
>>52567454
No word yet.
>>
>>52567447
>since he was playing a really old guy who was supposedly a university professor
I checked with the rest of the group and they were willing to roll with it, and it made sense for a character that was pretty good at magic to at least be /decent/ at magic, mechanically.

Basically because my players are mature and I can still give the party challenges tailored to their composition. It balances out because he rolled a 6 on constitution, so he's really, really squishy.
>>
>>52567464
Fuck... Alright, so they've done cults and dragons, elemental evil, drow & demons, Ravenloft and giants. What else can they touch on? Beholders?
>>
>>52567463
There is a d&d wiki barb that does this.
Its crappy until level 14 when you can fly. Or 10 when you get lay on hands for some reason.

>its also shit until level 10 or even 14 and worse than totem
>>
>>52567486
Aboleths soon, friend.
>>
>>52567492
When?
>>
>>52567491
Honestly I have faith something similar will be made in official stuff sooner or later. Dragons are a very rage like creature a lot of the time, so it makes sense.
>>
File: aboleths.jpg (50KB, 640x461px) Image search: [Google]
aboleths.jpg
50KB, 640x461px
>>52567500
NOW
>>
What's the best strength thrown weapon?
>>
>>52567525
Your mom
>holds up hand for high five from thread
\o
>>
>>52567525
Javelin.
>>
File: Piscaethces.png (622KB, 1034x668px) Image search: [Google]
Piscaethces.png
622KB, 1034x668px
>>52567512
The Night Below would be nice to see revisited.
>>
>>52567536
Hell yeah it would!
>>
So how good is Zealot Barbarian? It seems like the best choice for a pure damage Barbarian because the aura gives a fair bit of an increase in Average damage and it happens on your turn, so you can charge lots enemies to get the most out of it.
>>
>>52567507
Hopefully.
Honestly some d&d wiki shit is OK
Id say dragon barb would be nice as
3-resist color damage while raging+deal damage of color
6-breathweapon on rage and short rest? Maybe long rest. Keys off con
10- dragon scales when raging
14 - fly when raging
>>
File: file.png (225KB, 362x447px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
225KB, 362x447px
>DMing a mostly chaotic stupid party
>not really murderhobo but rather volatile overall
>they come across an older man bleeding on the side of the road, alone
>he wagon burning and his coin laying all around him as he is trying to drag himself into the treeline
>the players gather up his money, extinguish the fire, and help him back to health with no reward asked for

Any wholesome moments in your games lately, /5eg/?
>>
>>52567555
Seems about right. Something about the idea of a fire covered man with dragon wings charging people with a Greataxe just feels great.
>>
>>52567546
Heck, they could just do a book focusing on the underdark as a campaign setting.
>>
>>52567454
If it's something to do with Forgotten Realms I think I'll cry. I just want to go to another setting, anywhere that isn't full of Mary Sues or Gothic horror.
>>
>>52567597
I doubt they will. They've released some things in the UA recently so I'm thinking they are going to release something specific to a setting soon. What setting would see a need for using mass combat and psychics?
>>
>>52567618
C'mon Spelljammer or Dark Sun. Ebberon wouldn't be too bad but it's not really my thing.

I new setting would be nice but I can't see that ever happening.
>>
>>52567612
It will be City by the Silt Sea, converted to Forgotten Realms, to provide an origin for Faerun's Dragonborn.

Dregoth will become just another Dracolich.
>>
>>52567533
>pretends to go for high five but just leaves you hanging
>>
>>52567638
Don't say things like that. It's not right. It can't be right.
>>
>>52567632
Hmm, Dark Sun would be the most likely I bet, though Spelljammer and Eberron would be welcome as well.

Why won't they touch Mystara? Please! I want my Shadow Elves again!
>>
K R Y N N
R
Y
N
N

The new players must suffer gully dwarf and kender PCs as I did. Rite of passage.
>>
>>52567556
who attacks a man and both doesn't finish him off and doesn't steal his cash?
>>
>>52567672
Please dear god no!
>>
>>52566935
>Don't know if you're the same guy from the last thread, but I said to him he should just start the game with the characters already dead. Is there a reason you don't want to do that?
Nop, just woke up.

The reason is simply that I want to run a death gauntlet, where they are trying to hold a fort. They die, return, and get into trouble for surviving it (couldn't have been at your posts, cowards, etc.)

Also my players are unlikely to take well to being told they are dead before the game begins. And I would find it a lot cooler to see them struggle, really try to win this fight, and then lose anyway, only to be surprise revived and given cool shit to go with their second chance.

>>52567388
To supplement their attack spells. I am allowing it to add to that, though I realize it will be a significantly worse gift to a caster.

I plan on giving them slightly better effects to complement their spell casting. Not sure what yet, but that will depend om what they pick, and how they want to play their character.
>>
>>52567675
Fucking mole people.
>>
>>52567657
I have a feeling Dark Sun will be soon. There seems to be enough love for it and something about it feels interesting enough to warrant them working on it.

>>52567672
Why would you want people to suffer anon? Do you like watching people in pain?
>>
>>52567653
Oh anon, search your feelings.

If they do an actual Athasian scenario, it'll be the Mind Lords of the Last Sea. Because it's got "normal" elves and a bunch of water.
>>
>>52567701
>the party finds a +1 hoopak
>>
File: 1483590459534.png (1MB, 1120x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1483590459534.png
1MB, 1120x1600px
>>52567701
>>
>>52567735
Honestly I'd like Hoopaks on anyone else but Kender. We need some exotic weapons and slings never get enough love.
>>
>kill your GMs precious super cool BBEG way earlier than we should have
>I take his cape that can do all kinds of awesome shit
>GM says it requires a level 20 class we don't have access to
>MFW I am a thief

He literally ended the session to figure out how to proceed, because that cape is game breaking as fuck, because it has:
Teleport at will
Disguise self and alter self at will, no restrictions
Mass Friends spell at will
Innate 60 fly speed
Unable to trigger ordinary or magical traps
Advantage on all saving throws
+3 AC

I am laughing so hard right now.
>>
File: 5egCap.jpg (376KB, 1065x1225px) Image search: [Google]
5egCap.jpg
376KB, 1065x1225px
>>52567697
You know your players better than I do, but for most people, being put up against impossible odds is just frustrating. Look at image for example.

There's also the chance that they bullshit a way to win/escape.
>>
>>52567786
They are on a fort with a lot of soldiers. They are getting swarmed from all sides, helms deep style.

The entire point of the setup is that they can't escape.

And they are supposed to be frustrated by the fight. Makes it all the worse when their "allies" start calling them defectors or cowards for abandoning their posts, because they DID fight to the death, and did everything in their power to win. It just wasn't a fight that could be won.

They are against an army. More bandits don't just "pop up".
>>
>>52566873
Are the online dragon+ things to be added to the trove as well?
>>
What so bad about Krynn other than kender?
>>
>>52567786
>pic
DAMN that is a shit DM.

That could have been handled far better. Even that fight, with everything described, could easily have been played completely straight by the GM without seemingly pulling shit out of his ass.

Ask people for their perception check. They just didn't spot the additional guys.

Don't give any numbers. Who the fuck does that? Don't ever fucking do that.

Dont talk like a faggot. Cut the "uhhh"s. Act confident, or at least as if you are just rolling with the punches and aren't pulling shit out of your ass.

Don't forget to describe everything. Make sure they know their horses got capped before they even has a chance to consider escape.

Bam, the entire setup now feels awesome. They got caught by a large bandit group, who assassinated their horses before they spotted it, made the party burn their spells, and even forced a failed retreat despite the best effort of the players. These guys now look really fucking good, and are clearly not to be messed with.

Of course, this assumes the GM isn't just killing people because "lol GM vs players, I win by killing them lol xd".
>>
>>52567829
What things?
>>
>>52567875
Gully Dwarves.
>>
>>52567762
That would teach him not to homebrew bullshit stuff next time.
>>
Should I use a Sling over a Shortbow on my Halfling Ranger for flavor reasons? Halfling seems like the one time you can get away with a Sling.
>>
>>52567912
Gully dwarves are just Down'ers, cast a fireball in their midst or something.
>>
>>52567934
Do whatever you want
>>
>>52567937
The point is that there should never have been an entire fucking race of Down'ers with no redeeming factor. I'm pretty sure in 2e they had no positives to them and only got penalties.

A bunch of weird shit like they can't see well in sunlight but they also had no darkvision and trouble breathing underground.
>>
>>52567888
Things like the Barber of Silverymoon adventure and whatever else is included in them.
>>
>>52567934
Sure. Slings do need more love.
>>
File: 1458504332195.jpg (2MB, 1920x1425px) Image search: [Google]
1458504332195.jpg
2MB, 1920x1425px
Anyone read any of Tales from the Yawning Portal? I haven't had a chance to see if my bookstore has it in yet. Primarily, I want to know if they made Tomb of Horrors as cutthroat as it use to be.

Most of my group started playing after 3.5 and want to put them through Tomb of Horrors without having us roll up AD&D characters.
>>
>>52568012
No, despite it being out, none of us have read it.

Seriously though, it's less cut throat, now it's more just cutting the windpipe and blood vessels, rather than breaking the spine as well.
>>
>>52568034
It's not as bad as 4e's version, though, right? When someone falls into a deathtrap, I want it to not be a "thank god nothing can kill me thanks to all these saving throws" sort of thing.
>>
>>52566379
My city's growing "megagame"? (We regularly attract 25+ players, playing across 4 or 5 games concurrently all in the same day during the same week of in game time). Are going up against A mindflayer colony which is inside a Nautiloid which is currently doing its best to War of the Worlds all over the town.

My groups playing one of the ground team helping defend against the legions of enthralled humanoids and various other creatures such as ogres and manticores.
Then their going to fight "A Mind Flayer", which is an illusion created by the elder brain that, when defeated, causes a mass suggestion "The fight is over, you can go home!".
Just in time for the Githyanki to show up and prepare for exterminatus.
>>
File: Blademaster.jpg (177KB, 658x857px) Image search: [Google]
Blademaster.jpg
177KB, 658x857px
A penny for your thoughts, /5eg/?

I'm currently running a 5e custom campaign that just finished a modified MoP. My group, a Human Barbarian, Dragonborn Warlock (Old Gods), Dragonborn Evocation Wizard (They're related.) and a Gnome DW Fighter.

They successfully slayed Venomfang, after being betrayed by him.
They've struck a bargain with the Banshee Agatha and the Dragonborn Wizard is currently under her tutelage when he has time [He Spoke Elven, had a decent Charisma, took a lot of time and effort into coaxing her.]

They failed miserably at rescuing any of the Dwarven brothers, successfully rescued Sildar the bodyguard, moved into Cragmaw and have rebuilt it, "indentured" the goblin Droop into their Service and have effectively become the new Red Brand Bandits.

Now... the problem lies in the fact that our Dwarf DW Fighter has perished. He is beyond the means of the groups ability to ressurect him [He's been dead for more than a week IG, probably a month now]. He's taken to playing the Goblin Droop. I've allowed him to re-roll his stats and select a class for him. He's chosen Artificer Alchemist.

The group for some reason, OOC'ly hates goblin characters, even though they've rescued Droop for some odd reason. They talk shit OOC'ly at the table about them and mock the player for playing one. Even actually getting hostile to him by threatening to kill his character IG. They're paranoid about his goblin slitting their throats in the night and do not split dungeon shares, healing potions, or equipment with him

My players and I are all friends since junior high (We're in our fucking late twenties now) and they didn't express this distaste to Goblins at all before the player began to play one.

What do? How do I stop the meta while upholding a sense of equality? (They can't say they didn't try to keep Droop prior. They hid him in cloaks, brought him into towns, etc.)
>>
>>52568091
Well, some things have got less lethal because of system adaptations, poison isn't save or die any more.

For example, the pit traps in the entrance use the basic poisoned spiked pit trap mechanics. (1d6 for the fall, 2d10 for the spikes, 4d10 (half on save) for the poison)

The sphere of annihilation, crown and sceptre, and cursed gem traps of course, aren't even Save or Die. They're just Die.
>>
>>52568261
>The sphere of annihilation, crown and sceptre, and cursed gem traps of course, aren't even Save or Die. They're just Die.

I think I'll give it a chance.
>>
What is the best class for surviving Tomb of horrors?

I considered a thief, but I don't actually know what level we will start at, my GM just said we should consider some characters to use for a ToH run, so I dont know what I should expect.

Starting this Saturday.
>>
>>52566286
I cant seem to download anything from the trove, itll hit 100% in the browser but nothing actually downloads.
>>
>>52568104
Sounds pretty fantastic. More.
>>
>>52568345
int caster
>>
>>52568187
Fuckin' talk with them? Maybe have Gobbo Droop's character do a solo mission to prove worth/loyalty and get him some kinda "oh shit" item to avoid PvP.
Or let the Dorf reroll.
>>
File: 1489185924851.gif (597KB, 990x3920px) Image search: [Google]
1489185924851.gif
597KB, 990x3920px
Quick question, let's say I want to completely wreck a campaign, and make the most broken character that's possible.
Campaign will start on lvl1 and will go to lvl 10.
What class and shit should I take to be the most insufferable minmax cunt possible?
Everything in player's handbook and all UA are allowed
>>
>>52566853
You seem like a trustworthy sort. I shall gather my adventuring party and we shall give these "mind flayers" what-for
>>
>>52566342
>Playing monks as Japanese weaboo super-heroes using the most stereotypical shit.

You disgust me.
>>
>>52568484
The one where you fucking end yourself.
>>
>>52568484
How about you don't act like a passive-agressive cunt, and hang yourself instead?
>>
>>52568496
that's kinda broad
>>
>>52568484
nuclear druid
>>
>>52568503
hmm, this will do
thanks brother
>>
>>52568439
We've been building it up for the past 3 or so months. First of all a "cult of the silver star" appeared and started doing usual Saturday morning villian stuff. Then we sowed rumours of there being a serial killar around town that stole brains. Slowly but surely adding in hints and effects towards mindflayers. Intellect devourers occasionally popping out of boss creatures and the likes. When the Githyanki showed up and started causing conflict, The mindflayer colony (which is on the run from the Gith and are using our planet as a final standing point) started to panic and become more overt in enthralling people and creatures.

They have been trying to undermine the adventurers guild from the inside for a few weeks to little effect. Now they've decided to go all or nothing to get rid of the adventurers.

Cue big battle!

The Mindflayers are besieging the town from all sides and the Nautiloid flys above the town.
The Adventurers have allied themselves with A Fire Giant, Githzerai and the Farseer of the Elven conclave (Archdruid).
The Githyanki have allied themselves with a Red Dragon and have spaceships.

Should be fun!
>>
>>52568450
That seems like a pretty terrible idea. Or should I expect a lot of int saves here?
>>
File: Mountaintop Observatory.jpg (761KB, 1900x2640px) Image search: [Google]
Mountaintop Observatory.jpg
761KB, 1900x2640px
Hey /tg/, I need a good oneshot idea for this saturday. Preferably something that would be over in 4 hours and where I'd be able to kill a bunch of them.

>>52562749
Last idea was nice but sadly, I'm not sure I'll have the time to prepare for this.
>>
>>52567556
Did you at least change them to chaotic neutral for that? Doesn't seem like something chaotic stupid characters would do.
>>
What's the best class to play if I want to actually be decent at blasting?

Dragon Sorcerer would let me cast Firestorm while flying around but Evocation Wizard gets the maximise damage ability. It's a tough choice.
>>
>>52568557
You'll likely become the point man as an Int caster. No I'm not trolling you.
>>
>>52568566
Especially since 5e is good at just making stuff on the fly, yeah?
>>
>>52568581
Why?

I am 99% sure I am being trolled here.
>>
>>52568345
Revenant race
>>
>>52568593
Lots of Knowledge Arcana bullshit to stymie the DM complaining that you're metagaming for not walking into a mysterious misty door or slapping an annihilation sphere with your dick.
>>
Would it be a bad idea to convert Expedition to the Barrier Peaks to 5e, but to try and conceal the obvious sci-fi nature to start with?

Treat it as if it's just an ancient ruined dungeon city with unusual walls, and gradually ramp up the strangeness as things go; treat the technological items as if they were magical (For instance: The Anti-gravity belt? A Girdle of Levitation)
>>
>>52568661
I'm thinking of doing it one day.
There are some people on the DM guild that update old modules, they might have done BP already.
>>
>>52568634
Alright...

Might go with arcane trickster then. The bonuses of being a rogue + expertise would probably be good enough to spot most shit, and know what not to touch.

What level is ToH meant to be played at? Should I expect level 8?
>>
>>52568731
Level 10 or above is recommended by the devs
>>
Might not be appropriate here, but...

Is there any D&D 5e video game out there? Just something like the old Baldurs gate or something? Searched around, but came up empty handed, thought you guy might know if something exists.
>>
I'm starting my first game this Saturday and I'm playing a 1st level Goliath Paladin who will eventually take the Vengeance Oath.

Since the first game will have us finished at third level so we can start adventuring proper since well have all our class dodads unlocked, I just want to know if a SnB Vengeance Paladin is a good choice of class for bring benefit to the Party?
>>
>>52568774
Probably.
I plan on playing S&B Champion/Warlock.
Take Protection as your fighting style if you play S&B IMO it's amazing.
>>
>>52568767
The only DnD game that she come out that's related to 5th is Sword Coast Legends.

It's pretty mediocre really. Plus apparently there was some drama with the developers? Anyway from its General reception it might be a while before we get a 5e D&D video game since it was more sink then swim.

I'd always thought the XCOM guys at Firaxis could make a great D&D game, at least the combat side of things.
>>
>>52568767
Nothing good with 5e rules. There's Pillar's of Eternity which is alright if you haven't played it but it has it's own lore and mechanics.
>>
>>52568792
I was planning to take Duelist but I might end up doing protection.
>>
>>52568792
As much as I love protection, I prefer the bonus damage.

It effectively makes you just as strong as someone using a 2-handed weapon, but with the benefits of a shield.

But honestly, if I wanted to make an unkillable tank, I wouldn't go fighter. Fighter is for doing damage while not just being Insta killed on the frontline. Even Monks does "unkillable stop block" better than a fighter.
>>
>>52567762
Your DM is pretty dumb. Throw him a bone and just make it a dimension door 1/lr cape and tell him to not do stupid stuff anymore.
>>
>>52567762
Why didn't he just make it "it loses most of its power upon being disconnected from its primary user"?
>>
>>52567813
Oh lordy that is lame as heck. FYI frustration is not a good emotion and it will sour your whole campaign.

Why not just have them visited by the god in a dream and they journey to a long lost temple to commune and be made chosen
>>
what racial bonuses would a nature spirit have?
i was thinking they would make great druids or rangers
so +2 WIS and +1 Dex

and for special abilities, Dryads gain the ability to perfectly hide when motionless and against a tree and only need half as much food when they have access to good soil during their long rest, and none at all if they also have access to direct sunlight

Naiads hide perfectly in streams and rivers, and have a swim speed and water-breathing

what do you think?
>>
>>52569047
What does perfect hide mean dumbsss
>>
What classes could you gut from 5E and lose virtually nothing?

My votes :
Sorcerer
Ranger
Warlock
>>
>>52568918
I thought about dueling and I have to admit it's really good
>>
>>52569079
i guess they cant be passively found, only when someone actively searches for them are they in danger of being detected
>>
>>52569086
Why would you remove them? Some players like how they are even if they aren't the best so there's no real reason to remove them other then personal hatred of fluff.
>>
>>52569086
As a ranger for a year+, the PHB ranger yes, but UA ranger actually fills the niche it was meant to.
>>
>>52568503
>>52568524
You only add the extra damage once.
>>
>>52569118
So what do you expect for continous dickery?
>>
>>52569140
>expect
suggest

I really should go to bed
>>
>>52569106
Yeah no.

Dryad +1 Wis +1 Cha +1 Dex
Innate spellcasting druidcraft at will, 3rd level entangle 1/lr, 5th level pass without trace 1/lr
Speak with small beasts and plants
Can tree stride 1/rest
>>
>>52569158
DnD is a team game try and have fun with everyone enjoying their time
>>
>>52569211
Oh and fey ancestry duh
>>
>>52569219
That's what I've been doing, I just want to try being a piece of shit for once.
>>
>>52569225
Why? Just quit the group and become a loner NEET as you always intended to.
>>
>>52569270
Why would I quit the group?
>>
>>52569286
Because you intend to act like a piece of shit and deserve multiple punches to the face. No group, yours included, needs a wrecker, quit the group for the other's sake you fucking cumstain.
>>
>>52569314
Nah, I'll stay where I am
>>
>>52569319
Then enjoy continuing being the group's literal punching bag. I'd suggest making some actual friends but that'd be impossible for you.
>>
Planning on running Forge of Fury.
Anyone know if it's any good, how long it is and how difficult it is?
>>
>>52569339
I dunno man, I've been playing shit with those dudes for the past 7 years, and there has never been any troubles, but whatever helps you sleep at night.
>>
>>52569349
>thinking you have actual friends.
>being this deluded.
I dunno but whatever helps you sleep better at night.
>>
>>52569349
>expecting no troubles from acting like a piece of shit
Are you deluded or actually retarded? Good luck though, you do you.
>>
I plan on running Tomb of Horrors for my group and I want to give them a budget to buy magical items out of the DMG with as they make characters but Im not sure how much I bounes money I should allow them.
>>
>>52569368
well I can't act like a piece of shit since nobody gave me any real advice outside of nuclear druid

and that wouldn't be the worst thing people have pulled over the years, but whatever, guess I'll just pull out an anime character as my PC
>>
>>52569387
Playing an anime character is better than acting like a piece of shit, you goddamned autistic piece of shit. In a normie game, if you start acting like a piece of shit you will get mercilessly ridiculed and bullied and rightly made to feel like shit. You would get punched in the face and have chairs and bags thrown at you.
>>
>>52569409
Good thing I play with people online :^)
>>
>>52569377
Don't do it that way. Magic items don't have market prices any more. Let them choose two uncommon magic items and a rare magic item, or something close to that.
>>
>>52569377
Have a look at the DMG p.38 for suggested wealth and magic items for given starting levels and low/medium/high magic settings
>>
anyone wanna share homebrew monsters or variants of pre-existing monsters? I'm looking to expand my resources.
>>
With the 'Curse Bringer' Warlock invocation, is the movement speed reduction separate to the ability to smite, or is it hitting them with the smite what causes the movement speed reduction? The wording is slightly vague and I can't seem to find any errata on it.
>>
>>52569414
So you admit you have no actual friends. Good to know. Seriously don't be a fucking cunt, you fucking retard. Act like you can actually function socially.
>>
>>52569441
>>52569450
>can't play online with people you know IRL
not my fault we all live in fucking tiny cubes with no space to run a game
and how exactly is wanting to play a strong character for shits and giggles a retarded thing
>>
>>52569001
Yeah no idea why he made pretty much his entire arsenal part of his fucking cape.

Of course he likely thought nobody could use it. Forgot about the use magical device trait from thieves.

He'll probably just return and say something bullshit about it just not working because he said so. Might suggest the dimension door thing instead, to get at least some use out of it.
>>
>>52568918
>It effectively makes you just as strong as someone using a 2-handed weapon
GWM feat says hi

>Even Monks does "unkillable stop block" better than a fighter.
Eldritch Knight says hello
>>
>>52569459
>and how exactly is wanting to play a strong character for shits and giggles a retarded thing
This isn't what you originally asked, you fucking shitfister retard, you asked how to be a straight up cunt and wanted to completely wreck a campaign >>52568484
Own up to being a piece of fucking shit and getting rightly called out on it you fucking autist.
>>
>>52569497
If I were your DM the cape would be the BBEG all along and the powers would work fine but corrupt you.

The cape demands super villainy.
>>
>>52569514
Eh, maybe I've blown out my request out of proportion, my bad.

So, about dem strong character builds.
>>
>>52569525
Any build, now fuck off.
>>
File: 1336556961891.gif (367KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1336556961891.gif
367KB, 480x270px
>>52569551
Well, thanks for answering.
Have a nice day!
>>
So, the new UA spells. OP or not OP? I'm concerned Primal Savagery almost completely upgrades from Shillelagh and Toll the Dead seems like a straight upgrade for wizards.
>>
>>52569026
Not him, but as long as it is handled well, it can turn from frustration into satisfaction very fast.

Had a campaign once where we were hired to bring down a tyrant. We did, through subterfuge and finally an assassination.

These king who have us the order then blamed us for killing him, winning him a lot of points with the part of the tyrants supporters, as he turned two nations on us.

When we then turned the tables on him, all the frustration of being constantly at a disadvantage, and all of our hard earned success yield nothing but bad things, was SO much more satisfying.

And honestly, as a player, I would fucking hate being told my character died. You could tell me he died while fighting 5 gods by himself, and describing how I even brought down one of them. I'd still punch you in the face for not letting me play my character, hand you the sheet, and leave. I am here to play, if you arbitrarily take control of my character, then you clearly don't need me at your table.

At least making an impossible to survive fight CAN be handled well. killing off characters without giving the player any kind of agenda, will at best leave them bitter about not even being given a chance to try.

Of course the players will likely hate him if he handles it poorly, so the best suggestion really just is "don't fucking kill them ".
>>
>>52569513
>Eldritch Knight says hello
Eldritch knight is not evem remotely close to a monk in terms of durability.

Your shield and protection spells only lasts you for so long. A monk can keep up his retarded defences forever.

Also

>Eldritch knight
>Heat metal says hi
>>
>>52569590
Primal Savagery doesn't add ability modifier to damage and can't benefit from the ability to attack multiple times like Shillelagh, although it's not like the Druid gets many of those.

Toll the Dead is at best a 60ft poison spray with a more favourable damage type. It probably is an upgrade most of the time, but not by a whole lot I don't think.
>>
>>52569620
>Monk
>durable

Nice hit dice, nerd.
>>
>>52569620
>A monk can keep up his retarded defences forever.

What? He runs out of Ki (that he uses for both offense and defense) and then can't bonus dodge. Meanwhile the EK can just have 20 AC in shield+plate forever and have shield spells on top. And also has more HP, on top of not being MAD.
>>
Should monks get a larger ki pool?
>>
>>52569684
No
>>
how viable would multiclassing eldritch knight into arcane trickster be?
>>
>>52569590
Primal Savagery keeps being compared to Shillelagh but honestly look at Produce Flame. Same deal with the scaling damage and it has range.
>>
File: tumblr_m59tz1eYqi1qmlvzk.jpg (83KB, 477x750px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m59tz1eYqi1qmlvzk.jpg
83KB, 477x750px
>>52569696
Should monks get a larger key pool?
>>
A friend of mine just wants to play a hobo. What would be the best class for this? Homebrews included
>>
>>52569696
Why? And don't say you don't like monks.
>>
>>52569713

I'm playing a sorcerer hobo. It's pretty fun. You kinda stop being a hobo after a mission or two gives you enough gold to put yourself up in a tavern for months at a time though.
>>
>>52569700
You'd have to go Dex and use a rapier, but it seems decent enough. Rogue is always a little weaker when it misses out on its sneak attack progression, but in exchange you get some pretty good features from the Fighter.
>>
>>52569713
Monk for hobo fistfights
>>
>>52569713
>>52569732
>>52569735
But all characters are murderhobos.
>>
>>52569713
Tavern brawler fighter, thief rogue

Or go Fiend Warlock and use the invocation from the UA to keep flies around yourself constantly.
>>
>>52569741

That's not true, I've been solving my problems with seduction for weeks now.
>>
>>52569700
Why would you? The only benefit the fighter MC has is the action surge and possibly the fighting style, getting 1 more level of fighter for the spells is not really worth it imo... take a level of Bladesinger instead of that third fighter and you get the same amount of spell levels, with better spell selection.
>>
>>52569423
Thank you, havent made starting off higher level characters in this edition, that makes more sense.
>>
>>52569684
Yes but only through a feat.
>>
File: 10x03_Cricket_burns.png (2MB, 2027x1154px) Image search: [Google]
10x03_Cricket_burns.png
2MB, 2027x1154px
>>52569713
1 cleric then the rest in fighter or rogue
>>
>>52569820
That could definitely work.
>>
>>52569668
>Meanwhile the monk can just have 20 AC while butt naked forever

>more hit points
>d8 vs d10
Yeah alright buddy, that +1 UP will clearly make you more durable.
>>
>>52566429
>>52566469
What most classes need are better capstones to incentivize you to stay in it all the way. Hell, a lot of classes don't give anything very good after level 5.
>>
>>52569880
>20 AC
and at what level are you getting that? 16?
>>
>>52569918
THIS!

Monks need a better way to calculate AC.
I suggest 10+Wis mod+Proficiency bonus.
>>
>>52569918

It's assuming the monk rolls really high for stats and is a race that has a WIS or DEX mod bonus, its not inconceivable that an elf with 16 WIS and 18(20) DEX can simply pump WIS at level 4 and 8 and end up with 20 WIS and 20 DEX making 20 AC.
>>
>>52569918
Im playing a fighter and during our first adventure we found a white shield with a green cross on it, turns out it's a shield +2. Now with Ring Mail and that shield I have 20 AC at level 2 :^)
>>
>>52569915
Cap proficiency bonus and all level scalings to your highest class level.

Don't use a character level. You get benefits from the highest level class, so if you opted into a retarded 5/5/5/5 setup, you count as a level 5 character for the purposes of spell progression and proficiency bonus.

It makes it great being single classes or dip at most 3 levels into something to round out a character and add some customization options. But it kills all those dumb triple class builds.
>>
>>52569985
>rolling for stats

Why bitch about balance if you roll for stats?

You brought this upon yourself.
>>
>>52570016
>using point buy
I stay away from shitty variant rules.
>>
Which are the good official adventures and which were the shit ones?
>>
>>52570015
>It makes it great being single classes or dip at most 3 levels into something to round out a character and add some customization options.

That's already the best way to play.

You already lose ASIs, which are important as shit. All you are doing is punishing some concepts that are already mechanically sub-optimal.
>>
>>52570024
That doesn't disprove his point. You can't complain about balance if you're randomly generating stats.
>>
>>52570024
Indeed, you should be using arrays.

Joke aside, rolling is imbalanced. The game was balanced for arrays.
>>
Tg, what the fuck

I was running Death House last night when my level 2 five man party fucking straight up and killed the Shambling Mound.

Okay, fine they got a pretty good short rest before hand, but I thought the mound was supposed to cream these guys if they stood their ground? What do I do now?

Roll on a treasure table? Give extra XP?
>>
>>52570057
Exp sounds good
Treasure too if you wanna be nice
>>
>>52569950
Unless you are putting points in wisdom over dex, your AC is worse until about level 13 and then only becomes better then original once you hit 17
>>
>>52570057
I am always surprised by what my players can accomplish against a single opponent.
Threw a a young black dragon with max HP at a level 4 party and they fucked it up hard.
>>
>>52569684
Monks NEED two things.

A feat that expands their Ki pool by half their monk level.

And a better AC calculation.
I suggest basing it of the Proficiency bonus and avoid stats in general since sometimes people want to play a STR based monk or don't use certain features at all.

So let's say a Monks Unarmoured AC is 15+Proficiency bonus.
That's a whooping 17 AC at the start and will slowly grow as you level to reach 21AC at lvl 17.
>>
>>52570047
Alright;
Standard array let's you have 15+14. That's 17/15 after race, unless you are mentally retarded. First ASI at 4 brings you to 18/16, which is 17 base AC, no armour or any other protection.

At 8, you increase that to 20/16, which is 18 AC with absolutely no downsides.

Wisdom is a super good stat to have high because of perception and wisdom saves being very nasty.

Monks also get evasion, making them take no damage from save for half spells.

For a ki point they can grant disadvantage to the enemy. They can do this a lot more than an EK can ever hope to do with his spells.

AC18 with disadvantage >>>>> AC20

And God help you if this monk ever gets a hold of bracers of protection.
>>
>>52570087
That is retarded.
>>
>>52570057
Just do exactly as the book says, give them level 3 upon leaving the house. Nothing else.
>>
>>52570111
Don't forget monks being universally better against all saves, compared to a fighter who gets fucked over by any save or suck effect.
>>
>>52570087
>17 at level 1 with no disadvantage whatsoever.
Other classes need to put points into attributes, use one handed weapons so they can use shields, wear heavy armour and have shitty stealth and encumbrance or cast spells, but monks just get a high passive AC on 24/7?
>>
>>52570140
It's not like certain sorcerrer archetypes have a better unarmoured feature...

>Stone sorcerrer gets to base AC of CON of all things.

>Dragon sorcerrer just exists.
I'm also kinda sad they didn't leave the melee features from the playtests for Dragon sorcerrer so they can be full casters and better unarmed combatants than monks.
>>
>>52570177
>I'm also kinda sad
no you're not, you're just trying to justify your retarded monk buffs.
>>
>>52570335
This.
kill all shitbrewers.
Kill all martialcucks.
>>
>>52570071
just straight up gold?
The house already came in with a cloak of protection, but should I spit out a +1 sword or something?
>>
>>52570405
No. Don't give them anything extra, just give them their level 3.
>>
>>52570414
I don't know, at the very least an extra hundred gold and a gothic trinket
>>
File: 1485477258169.jpg (20KB, 357x500px) Image search: [Google]
1485477258169.jpg
20KB, 357x500px
Stats aside, what race has the best/most fun side traits & abilities? Particularly for a spellcaster
>>
>>52570454
firbolg
>>
Ask a Trident/Shield wielding PHB Ranger(hunter) anything!
>>
>>52570454
Kenku are cool, Changeling, Firbolg and Ghostwise Halfling.
>>
File: 1491245831248.jpg (75KB, 500x376px) Image search: [Google]
1491245831248.jpg
75KB, 500x376px
>>52567649
>>
>>52570472
Why aren't you a dwarf duel wielding warpicks?
>>
>>52570472
why are you gay
>>
Would a Wood Elf Longbow Arcane Trickster be a bad idea? Or should I just pick Fighter/Ranger if I want to kill things from far away?
>>
>>52569448
I think the movement speed reduction is supposed to be constant like the moonbow's lycanthropy advantage is constant and to make up for not using Cha with it.
>>
>>52570464
>>52570479
Mad, cheers
>>
>>52570523
all builds are bad ideas
>>
>>52570523
Arcane Archer from UA?
>>
>>52570523
scout from UA is perfect
>>
>>52570523
Bard with Swift Quiver could do it too.

But if you really want to just kill things from far, Sorclock.
>>
File: 1483861721358.gif (1MB, 169x140px) Image search: [Google]
1483861721358.gif
1MB, 169x140px
>>52570596
>Sorclock
>>
>>52569525
You're a dwarf rogue that worked as a fixer for a human noble family. The family got wiped out though, and now you're adventuring to rebuild the mansion and support yourself and any surviving servants. Officially you were the house handyman. You 'fixed' things for the family. Lots of characters to inspire you.

It has strong character.
>>
What would fast food be in the FR universe?
>>
>>52570641
Fried Owlbear
>>
>>52570577
>>52570595
No UA unfortunately. Had some bad experiences with it, so the GM doesn't allow it.

>>52570596
That... that sounds dumb. And somewhat cheesy, even if it doesn't require any weird shenanigans.
>>
>>52570667
>And somewhat cheesy, even if it doesn't require any weird shenanigans.

Welcome to bards, enjoy your stay.
>>
>>52570641
Shitty food made by conjuration wizard dropouts. They cast minor conjuration then prestidigitation on what they conjure. It tastes nice but does fuck all for you
>>
>>52566873
>the prismatic dye machine is a RAW way to get to play as an ooze
I'm not sure how to feel.
>>
>>52569732
>wander around all day.
>sleep in a motel at night.
You're still a hobo.
>>
Just hit 3rd and have to pick my two 2nd level spells.

I was thinking Phantasmal Force and Misty Step since I wanted an Attack/Disable and a Utility.
However I worry, how easily can a DM shutdown Phantasmal Force by saying 'Lol yeah he feels the d6 but ignores the walls/chains/pit/flaming helmet on its head etc and just moves along and continues fighting the party'

Phantasmal force a good spell?
1st level spells already known: Mage Armour, Shield, Find Familiar, Sleep, Alarm, Detect Magic, Absorb Elements, Tasha's Hideous Laughter as well as having gotten Magic Missile, Identify, and Protection v Evil & Good from scrolls
(DM gave me Magic Missile because quote 'wtf you don't have any damage spells? Not even a damage cantrip?')
>>
>>52570732
Class?
>>
>>52570606
I can't tell if that's "I'm not impressed" or "I have no idea what's happening".
>>
>>52564296
Have them wake up one day and slowly realize they're in hell.
At first they're deluding themselves about their deaths or something, but they slowly realize their fates.
Then, they each had some special one-time item/blessing which is why they're all together that allows them to potentially escape, because 'It's not their time yet'.
>>
>>52570732
If your DM gives a shit then the enemy has to at least use their action to investigate the illusion
>>
>>52570801
Satan gives them back their life in exchange for a small favor down the line.
>>
>>52570732
You really don't have any damaging cantrips?
>>
>>52570711
Yeah I noticed this too, pretty weird.
Also
>Hair portal
>>
>>52570426
Do they already know they just beat the optional bonus boss? If not, they get nothing extra. If yes, they get the satisfaction of beating the optional bonus boss.
>>
>>52566873

Not gonna lie, I kinda wanna put it into Curse of Strahd somewhere in Vallakis or Krezk
>>
>>52567448
Your hair is fire, but is your head fireproof? I don't think so. You will burn yourself, your clothes, your friends, everywhere you go.
There's a reason why the Azer is a thing made of bronze living on the ass of the elemental plane.
>>
>>52570772
Wizard
>>52570808
I guess at worst it's a one round action killer.
>>52570826
Until I hit 4th and grab one. Until 5th level my Light x-Bow does more damage with 1d8+3 (16Dex and 16Int)
>>
>>52570908
Yeah. If you have 16 dex you don't need an attack cantrip as urgently.

Grab some daggers and TWF too.
>>
Would you allow a magical implement that doubles as a weapon? I'm particularly thinking of an athame (dagger, but loses the thrown property).

I know staves and rods exist, but I have 8 strength and 16 dex.
>>
File: 1470274136026.jpg (2MB, 1040x1536px) Image search: [Google]
1470274136026.jpg
2MB, 1040x1536px
>>52568577
Sorcerer 18, Warlock 2. Maybe 16/2/2 with sorc, lock and fighter for action surge.

Wizard for just best caster imo
>>
what;s the name of the thing that lets you use dex in place of strength again
>>
>>52571027
finesse?
>>
Just how much money is 1 gp?
>>
>>52568577
Fighter2/Warlock2(or 5 with fey and UA if that's even allowed)/sorcerer the rest
>>
>>52566415
I have a player doing a pseudo gestalt. He is an artificer with a Jekyll and Hyde thing going with barbarian. When he rages, his str and int swap, and gains some temp hit points. When the temp hit points are gone, he reverts. It's working out pretty well so far. It's made easier as he is a berserker barbarian
>>
>>52571069
About 10 bucks on the scale used in DnD, I think.
>>
>>52571069
You can't really equate it to real money because the economy is vastly, vastly different.
>>
>>52571170
I didn't mean directly compared to real money. More like how many gp does it take before it's no longer pocket change, for example?
>>
>>52571190
It takes about 3650gp to live a 'poor' lifestyle for 50 years or 18250gp to livea modestlifetsyle for 50 years.

So a young adult who earns 18250gp could easily just retire for life without planning on doing anything at all.
>>
>>52571039
that's the one, thanks. my brain wasn't working
>>
File: 14425457683352.jpg (27KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
14425457683352.jpg
27KB, 500x375px
>>52571239
All right. Thanks!
>>
Finesse and ranged weapons should use strength for damage.
>>
>>52571343
Finesse weapons can use strength for damage and why would ranged ever need to, are you chucking the arrow?
>>
>>52571343
>muscly dude shoots you with a crossbow
>his muscles make the bolt do more damage
lol
>>
>>52571343
Yeah, let's nerf martials more.
>>
>>52571363
No they should be forced to use strength.
>>52571376
Yeah it doesn't really make sense for crossbows. Works for normal bows at least.
>>
File: 1452644200770.gif (332KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
1452644200770.gif
332KB, 512x512px
I am dming SKT. One of my players is a fiend lock. She made her pact through a mysterious child she knew when she was young.

I suggested that I could give her a 'mystery patron'. I want to make her patron Slarkrethel, even though he is more GOO than fiend, and just fluff it as such.

What are some good ways to foreshadow this? I'm thinking of dropping in some Lovecraftian telepathic dreams to foreshadow the kraken, and I figure this could be a good way of getting the players onto the trail of the kraken later in the module. She uses an amulet that the boy gave her as a child, and I think I want to put a similar amulet on some of the members of the cult.

Thoughts?
>>
>>52571389
Oh you martial players and your stupid victim complex.
>>
>>52569590
A lot of them are poorly designed consceieved and implemented. Some of them break games or game concepts, some of them are useless additions of the game made redundant by existing spells. You have managed to find two spells that fit in the above categories the least.
>>
File: 1463620215363.png (42KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
1463620215363.png
42KB, 625x626px
>>52571408
>>
>>52571408
Yeah lol fuck dex fighters, rangers and rogues, am I right?
All rogues should be strength barbarogues, am I right? Who would want to play a rogue anyway?
>>
>>52571463
Rogues would be the least reliant on strength of anyone because of the fact that sneak attack makes up the vast majority of their damage very quickly.
Also dex fighters already have every advantage over a strength one, they ought to be evened out a bit.
>>
>>52571434
Thanks for proving my point.
>>
>>52571080
>Multiclassing UA
>Says right at the bottom of the page not to

>>52571484
How about instead of making it an option instead
>>
>>52571484
>Also dex fighters already have every advantage over a strength one, they ought to be evened out a bit.
I'd like to see a non-ranged dex fighter do as much damage as a str fighter
>>
>>52571484
>Rogues, already one of the weakest classes damage wise, would be totally fine with, what, -3 to hit -3 to damage because sneak attack, providing they put a 14 in stength rather than using that 14 elsewhere
>Multiclassing barbarian is practically mandatory now

>Monks are fortunately not fucked because they use neither ranged weapons nor finesse, but they do sometimes enjoy using ranged weapons and that part of them gets fucked over because no way do they have room for strength

>Dex fighters already have every advantage
>They don't get reaction attacks
>Can't use sentinel
>Can't use PAM which actually with GWM lets them deal more damage
>Can't use shields for +2 AC, probably will be using archery so no +1 AC from fighting style
>Not being at the front lines might mean the enemies will just bumrush the wizards and slaughter all of them because you're not really stopping them at all

If you really have a big problem with dex fighters, just nerf archery.

>>52571527
>The multiclassing UA part was in brackets
>>
>>52571527
Holy fuck I need sleep

Meant make it an option instead.
>>
>>
>>52571541
>-3 to hit
learn to read, fuckwit, he says only on damage
>>
>>52571541
When it shouldn't be included because that's how you get broken as fuck builds like nuclear druid.
>>
>>52571069
I did some math on this once to see just how broken the dnd economy was. This wasn't real math as much as it was "compare the price of a thing in gp to how much it would cost on amazon"

By hempen rope, 1 gold is $15
By candles, $230
By whetstones, $150
By soap, $56.30

The issue in my opinion with the economy is that a copper piece is conceptually about equal to a dollar. Meanwhile a gp is conceptually equal to about twenty bucks in my head.,which leads to a 5x difference in percieved value.
>>
>>52571534
Crossbow expert turns your ranged fighter into a melee one.
>>52571541
CBE and sharpshooter are the dex equivalents of PAM and GWM
Also If you have 5 strength I think it's only fair that you suffer some disadvantage, yes. Also I only said damage, not attack.
>>
>>52571566
I think it's less that the D&D economy is "broken" and more that it's different.
Like candles are considered a luxury item IRL so of course they're going to cost more and make GP seem worth a lot.
>>
How do I find the middle group in pet classes between actually being valid and not cramping other people's style.
>>
>>52571587
>Play someone that uses a ranged weapon
>You're a melee character
What?
>>
>>52571587
GWM+PAM is about a little less than SS+CBE until you factor in reaction attacks, at which points GWM+PAM outdamages it, even if it's not by a massive lot. You can also quite feasibly to quarterstaff+shield, though that loses out on GWM and you really should be a paladin instead in that case.

Really, the main thing here is sentinel to keep enemies off of your allies.
>>
>>52571617
I think what he means is it allows you to operate effectively at melee range therefore being a pseudo-melee fighter
>>
>>52571617
Maybe read the crossbow expert description, friend.
>>
>>52571617
CBE removes disadvantage in melee, so you should go ahead and be within reasonable distance in case anyone is proned so you can go pump their face full of bolts.
>>
>>52571639
Melee attacks and ranged attacks without disadvantage within 5 feet of an enemy aren't the same thing
>>
>>52568796
Xcom could be a direct port of dnd 4e. It's almost the same mechanics. 5e could work as well though
>>
File: Smug anime girl 1.png (167KB, 306x391px) Image search: [Google]
Smug anime girl 1.png
167KB, 306x391px
Alright, I'm trying to come up with a new character idea. How does this sound?
>Old and wise Cleric gets kicked out of his church because politics, joins adventurers because nothing else to do at this point
>typical Cleric cantrips picked out, might go Tempest or War Cleric with matching stats
>Only one spell prepared, though
>Find traps

Haven't decided on a race yet. Any ideas on what would fit this character?
>>
>>52571709
something with a long life expectancy like a dwarf who can't reasonably just retire and wait a couple years to die
>>
>>52570855
That's where I used the mechanism with Jenny Greenteeth. The players were frustrated at the lack of vendors in Barovia so I used Jenny Greenteeth from the Adventurers League on rare occasion.
>one player had to communicate only through dance during the Amber Temple
>one rolled to give Jenny a hug and was terrified it might be a trap
>last player wanted a haircut
>Oh, I can do that.

Should it be fine for a 6 person lvl 2 party? Or should I get them to 3 first?
>>
>>52570030
STK and CoS are good, along with LMoP
>>
>>52571376
>be a strong crossbow dude
>you use a crossbow with a higher draw weight
>weaker babies can't fully cock it back, but you can
>projectile is way faster as a result
>hits harder, has less travel time and less of an arc, meaning you don't have to aim as well
It makes perfect sense. I mean, shit, go make a rubberband slingshot between your fingers and try to launch a pen cap by pulling it an inch back, three inches back, vs as far as you can go before the thing fucking snaps. You can always build a beefier crossbow.
>>
What's the best way to use EK's combat magic at level 7?
>when you cast a cantrip for your action you can make one weapon attack as a bonus action

Obviously seems much more useful later on when it becomes "when you cast a spell" and not just a cantrip.

So far I can only think of a few situations where it might be worth it:
Booming blade (if you would need to lock someone in place)
Shocking grasp (the most useful one I can think of, instead of disengaging, shock them and move, then take a shot. Especially useful if you're a ranged EK)
Perhaps some other non-combat cantrips that could potentially become useful during combat if the right situation arises.

However, for most cantrips you'd do less damage by attacking with it then making a weapon attack if you're using GWM or Sharpshooter.

I suppose one of the ranged cantrips might prove useful if you're a melee only EK though...
>>
File: ok kid.jpg (65KB, 431x450px) Image search: [Google]
ok kid.jpg
65KB, 431x450px
>>52571833
>str martials are all engineers
>everyone has their own customized gear
>changing crossbow power doesn't effect range
>the rules cover any of this
>>
>>52566843
Take the dual wielder feat so you can use longswords, and on those turns where you can't use your bonus action to attack because you used hunters mark, stow one and two hand the other so at least you're doing 1d10.
>>
>>52571833
>pick up random crossbow off of downed enemy mook
>by your str-to-ranged-attacks rules, suddenly you can shoot it more effectively than the enemy
I mean, if you wanted to rule something like 3.5's composite longbows, requiring restringing the bow during a short rest to get more damage out of it but requiring decent strength, I'd be on board. But that's probably too complicated for 5e's design philosophy.
>>
>>52571953
>>52571926
>using the mechanism of looted crossbows when you can just pull the string back with your MIGHTY FINGERS in a pinch
we're not talking about wimps here
>>
>>52570732
invis and misty step
or hold person and scorching ray for offense
>>
>>52571928

Dual Wielder is a trash feat. d6 to d8 is +1 damage average, but +2 to your combat stat is +1 to both hit and damage. And if you're a DEX combatant, then using the ASI on stat also gives you the +1 AC.
>>
>>52571926
Check it, I think I've figured out how to make the rules handle Strength-based ranged weaponry. It's a little long, so bear with me.
>Crossbows, bows, and slings may, optionally, use Strength as their attack and damage stat. Blowguns may use Constitution.
Whew, I'm gonna need to take a rest after that all that strenuous rules development. Really takes a lot out of you, coming up with so many coverages for exceptions and use cases and various options.
>>
>>52572019
>blowguns may use constitution
okay you're just fucking with me at this point
>>
>>52572019
this is dumb
just use a javelin
>>
>>52572037
Big chest equals big puff, dude
>>
my campaign took us to a magical zoo and the forcecage around the giant ape exhibit broke and now he's running lose and I think he's about to get into the sovereign glue, which will be a huge mess, what should we do to save the zoo?
>>
File: woman-eating-yogurt-with-fruit.jpg (48KB, 600x399px) Image search: [Google]
woman-eating-yogurt-with-fruit.jpg
48KB, 600x399px
When I played 4e I was a Warlock that had teleports for days. What is the most teleport heavy build in 5e? Bonus points for at will teleporting.
>>
>>52572052
shadow monk
>>
File: 1491407413439.png (47KB, 250x251px) Image search: [Google]
1491407413439.png
47KB, 250x251px
>>52572049
Beg the nearby druid enclave for help? Transport the animals elsewhere because captivity is cruel? Kill all the animals and make expensive coats?
>>
File: 1486189604671.jpg (92KB, 872x715px) Image search: [Google]
1486189604671.jpg
92KB, 872x715px
>>52572049
>>
Is there any way to make the ranger's flame arrows spell not shit? It seems kind of cool in concept but entirely shit in execution.
>takes concentration
>lasts 1 hour
>1d6 extra fire
>takes an action to cast

I can think the most optimal use of it would be to have a hunter ranger making use of horde breaker or volley. Seems a bit silly that it only lasts for 12 arrows though... So I suppose if you're firing it at 3 different targets then you're at least doing more damage than you would have been for hunters mark. But hunters mark is only a 1st level spell and is cast as a bonus action. This would require preparation.
>>
>>52572049
If there's a druid in the party they better be helping the rest of the animals escape out of principle.
>>
>>52572119
>>
New Bread
>>52572119
>>
File: 1489174881712.png (75KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1489174881712.png
75KB, 800x600px
>>52572049
You should stop trying to force shitty memes
>>
>>52572052
Nomad Mystic, Shadow Monk
>>
>>52570426
>gold
>in Curse of Strahd

Not worth the... gold it's.. made..

Anyway, there's practically nowhere to spend gold in CoS so maybe give them some potions.
>>
>>52571988
>A guy with 20 strength can only deadlift 200 pounds
Yes, this is wimps we are talking about.
>>
>>52572098
I really only keep it on hand if I think I'm going to be fighting monsters with fire vulnerability within the next level. Flame Arrows wrecked shit in CoS when going against the tree monsters and scarecrows. Didn't do much else besides that.
>>
>>52572047
I guess blowguns might possibly have a use then?
>>
>>52571250

If you want a real brain bender, Finesse doesn't just allow you to use Dex. It also lets you use Strength.

Which is important for darts.
>>
>>52570087
>feat that expands ki pool
Make the MAD class use up another precious ASI for something that's gonna seem required for proper play? That's no good. You have to do it like the battlemaster maneuver feat-
>small ki pool, maybe four points
>using the ki let's you do an attack with fists/simple weapons for 1d6
>then you can flurry of blows, maybe with a couple of the auxiliary effects for more ki
So that it's an option for everybody, including monks, but the ki pool is separate with non-scaling martial arts dice.
>>
>>52571589

This; candles are a luxury now because the only demand for them is for luxury use. In D&D they're a necessary staple for light.
>>
File: 4409129-stack-of-coins[1].jpg (103KB, 800x553px) Image search: [Google]
4409129-stack-of-coins[1].jpg
103KB, 800x553px
>His lawful dragons don't neatly stack and meticulously count all of the coins in their treasure hoard.
Do you even alignment, shitty DMs?
>>
>>52572681
5e barely alignments.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (11KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
11KB, 480x360px
>>52567934
>Sling
>hunter's mark
>colossus slayer
>sharpshooter
>1d4+1d6+1d8+dex+10
>from a fucking sling
That actually sounds awesome.
>>
>>52572049
You should be worrying about why a forcecage of all things broke.

A fucking giant ape can't do that by itself.

It's the ape illuminati.
>>
>>52572681
>Implying lawful means OCD when you're probably just going to knock it all down again while something's happening
>>
>>52567934
Slings are one-handed, so if you can somehow justify using a shield and still being able to load it, you might be able to do shield+sling.

However, usually hand crossbow is still the best on a halfling considering you can't use longbows or heavy crossbows, and rangers are one of the few exceptions where heavy crossbows or longbows are best (once you get volley)
>>
>>52567618
>What setting would see a need for using mass combat and psychics?

Dark Sun, to be sure.
>>
>>52567762
I'd let him use it, its very clever.

The PCs become OP if they get the Fivefold Mask of Tiamat or the Wand of Orcus, so why not that?
>>
I need help. /tg/

I am a newish player and I just joined a game that I thought would start at lvl 1. When we get to session 0 he tells us that we are level 8. I have no idea what to build. Any suggestions? I like stuff that lets me interact with the world outside of combat or just lets me be tricky in general.

he also said we are using point buy if that matters.
>>
>>52573835
For a new player who enjoys being tricky, I'd say play a Rogue. Go with the Charlatan background for free social skills and a second identity you can swap to, and pick up more physical skills from Rogue. Take Thief as your archetype (Arcane Trickster is a little more versatile, but depending on how new you are the spells can bog things down).

This will give you quite the skill selection for social and stealth situations, and allow you to be effective in both melee and ranged combat. If you go melee, remember your Cunning Action feature and play hit and run, since you'll be fairly fragile.
>>
>>52573930
>>52573835
GOO warlock with all the mind spells + disguise self + actor is always going to be better than shitty rogue.
Thread posts: 393
Thread images: 37

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.