[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>The various kingdoms are each visited by a different old

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 131
Thread images: 23

File: 1481485999766.jpg (138KB, 648x440px) Image search: [Google]
1481485999766.jpg
138KB, 648x440px
>The various kingdoms are each visited by a different old man during Winter Solstice, for reasons unknown
>>
>>52563936
Everyone on this map except green (Austria, Switzerland, Slovakia, Hungary) are materialist heathens
>>
>>52563936
Grandfather Frost is a symbol of New Year, not Christmas. On Christmas Jesus is celebrated.
>>
>>52563936
Finland what are you doing
Why is a goat barging into people's houses
WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR SOLSTICE FATMAN?
>>
File: Total War Warhammer Advisor.jpg (92KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Total War Warhammer Advisor.jpg
92KB, 1920x1080px
>>52563936
>They counsel the kingdoms in world conquest, and bear news of the world's ending
>>
>a thing happened
Is this hypothetical thing happening inside a traditional game?
>>
>>52563936
Christmas Lads sounds like a band.
>>
>>52564246
The Christmas Lads

an all bard party whose spells revolve around the christmas season
>>
>>52563936
It would be cool to include the various incarnations of Santa Nicholasclaus as a cabal of industry-themed druids.
>>
>tfw the christmas goat will never come down your chimney to eat a hole in your stocking and shit on your hearth while leaving you some kickass goat presents
>>
>>52563936
> Christmas Man
Even when it comes to Christmas, the Germans are still a bunch of boring spoil-sports.
>>
>>52564184
Sweden also used to have the christmas goat. Possibly the rest of Scandinavia as well, but I'm not entirely sure about that.
>>
>>52563936
I dont get it. Does baby Jesus bring out the presents in austria?
>>
>>52564184
>>52565666
Yes Christmas goats (Yule/Jule geder) are pretty common straw decorations in most of Scandinavia. Comparing them to Santa Clause is kinda wrong, though. They're sort of a remnant of pagan worship, representing Thor's mounts, and when Father Chirstmas was introduced many people imagined him as riding a goat.

Pre-santa, I don't think the goats really did anything other than provide milk.
>>
>>52564184
Well it's not exactly a normal goat that visits you.
>>
>>52565455

Der Weihnachtsmann sounds a bit cooler.

I mean "Father Christmas" isn't exactly amazingly creative for a very old looking man who does stuff at Christmas.
>>
I've never heard a Scottish person say Father Christmas.

Santa is common, Santa Claus is uncommon, Father Christmas is rare as fuck and often seen as either posh or something the English say.

Don't know the exact reasoning behind this but at a guess it would be because Christmas wasn't really an important thing in Scotland till the 1960s (it was banned to varying degrees for over 400 years).

So it is perhaps possible that americanisation has kicked in, or that we just picked the shortest possible name.
>>
File: sinterklaas.png (2MB, 1400x700px) Image search: [Google]
sinterklaas.png
2MB, 1400x700px
>>52565455
In Dutch it's de Kerstman, which also simply means the Christmas Man. We pretty much just copied the American version, except we couldn't call him Santa Claus since we already celebrate the original Saint Nick, aka Saint Nicholas aka Sinterklaas and his nigger slaves.
>>
>>52567493
Nice try, Dutchman, but I already know that Dutch Christmas involves the elves going down the chimneys and getting black soot over them, so it has nothing to do with race or slavery.
>>
>>52567601
That's mostly a political correctness thing.

Left is Zwarte Piet (Black Pete), right is what the PC left wants Zwarte Piet to be.
>>
>>52567631
Oops wrong image.
>>
File: 1489970263787.png (340KB, 640x720px) Image search: [Google]
1489970263787.png
340KB, 640x720px
>>52567646
Sinterklaas is pretty much the Michael Moore of saints, in that he's so anti-racist that he exclusively hires black people. And now the state tells him he's only allowed to hire white people? Wow, racist much?

>B-But muh negative stereotypes
They're honest, their sillyness never results in anyone getting hurt, they're charitable, they work hard, they don't do crime, they don't do drugs and they don't steal. Explain how this is a bad stereotype for a demographic overrepresented in crime, drug use and unemployment.
>>
>>52567646
>>52567631
I mean, it really does look exactly like an offensive minstrel show, but I get why people don't want to change it, especially since Holland has less of a history about slavery than some other European countries.
>>
>>52567667
I was mostly kidding about the slave thing anyway. They're never actually portrayed as slaves, just his aides and servants. While this can definitely be interpreted as slavery, not to mention the poor repuation Blackface makeup has (which is mostly a thing that blew over from America), their portrayal is consistently positive and it's never even implied that they're salves except by people who dislike the custom.

In the popular culture, their image ranges from being supremely competent and basically running the whole show, to well-intentioned but a bit slow-witted. In either case, they're almost always portrayed as strong, acrobatic, hard-working, loyal, friendly, etc.

It's mostly just the fact that they're guys in blackface serving a rich old white Christian guy that gets the left up in arms.

>>52567671
>especially since Holland has less of a history about slavery than some other European countries
Ehh, that's a touchy subject depending on who you're talking to. As a nation we were never fans of slavery, but we made a lot of money transporting and trading slaves to others, and we did use slave labor in our colonies. The fact that school history books tend to leave out the more negative aspects of our history as a merchant nation is a bit of an issue to many people.
>>
>>52567780
To be fair, we were one of the last countries to abolish slavery. By 1848 close to all countries in Europe had abolished slavery, by 1863 the Netherlands finally joined in. We had abolished slave trade early on, but not slavery.
>>
>>52567806
Yeah but the thing that gets most people confused is that slavery was never really a thing inside the Netherlands themselves, only in the larger Dutch empire. The 1863 abolishment of slavery concerned the colonies, it was already illegal in the home country long before that.

So even though we were one of the biggest slave-trading nations in the world at the time and we definitely used slave labor in the colonies, most people either didn't know or just didn't care. Even today you'll find people who think the Dutch didn't use slaves. It was illegal inside the Netherlands, but it was big business outside of our borders.
>>
>>52567187
metal as fuck
>>
>>52567928
Instead of leaving out milk an cookies for when he comes down the chimney, you grant him offerings of meat and beer when he comes through the front door.
>>
>>52567077
More or less, yes.
Though as a physically representation das Christkind is more referred as baby Jesus in the Krippe.
It's said the Christkind brings the gifts but you never see something like the shota version of Santa with presents as figure or anything.
Nicklaus on the other hand comes much earlier in December.
>>
>>52567780
>I was mostly kidding about the slave thing anyway. They're never actually portrayed as slaves, just his aides and servants.

I hate to break it to you, but back in the days of the costume he's wearing, pretty much any african servant was imported via the slave trade.
>>
>>52568233
I should also mention that we celebrate Satan.
>>
File: 1481872602494.png (1MB, 636x1092px)
1481872602494.png
1MB, 636x1092px
>>52568516
>Krampus
>Satan
>>
>>52568233
>Christkind
i am not a german speaker, but wasn't that Christuskind? Or is the christus thing an older way to say it?
>>
File: 1404470640766.gif (491KB, 500x220px) Image search: [Google]
1404470640766.gif
491KB, 500x220px
>>52564184
>>52567187
>>52567928
>>52567959

I love this. All the rest of us get a jolly old fat man popping down the chimney. Finland gets a fucking humanoid goat entity that kicks in your door and demands meat and beer.
>>
>>52569017
It's Jesus Christus but the Christkind.
>>
>>52567187
Merasmus?
>>
>>52567385
Everyone said Father Christmas, including Scots up until 20 years ago when Santa Claus began to creep in. Now barely anyone uses Father Christmas.
>>
>>52567899
African slavery wasn't really a thing at all in Europe. If Africans got to England, they were freemen as slavery was banned at home. The whole point of having it in the colonies was that they were the fringes of the word where law was much more fluid and loose.
>>
File: Joulupukkikortti copy.jpg (512KB, 868x612px) Image search: [Google]
Joulupukkikortti copy.jpg
512KB, 868x612px
>>52567959
Also, you do that to appease him, because if he's pissed off, he's gonna fucking beat your kids half to death with his cane.

No presents for you, just beatenings with a stick.
>>
>>52570043
what kind of stick
>>
>>52570052
The gnarly, frozen and thorny type.
>>
>>52570058
is he human?
>>
>>52570062
Traditionally he was dude who put a goat skull and skin overhimself, and traveled from house to house to drink beer and eat.

It was a shamanistic fertility ritual thingy of my ancestors.

He would give out small presents to good kids, and birch branches to naughty kids, with whom to spank them with.
>>
>>52563936
>father christmas
You better call it father Noel.
Yes Noel is translated by Chrismas but there is no mention of the christ in Noel.
>>
>>52563936
>Christmas man
It's St. Nicolas in the Netherlands.
>>
>>52570112
Shamanistic fertility ritual, sure. Also a socially acceptable reason for a young man to go from house to house dressed in a skull, piss drunk, telling people to give him more food and beer or he is going to beat up their kids. I'm sure you see the attraction.
>>
>>52570148
In East of France too.
>>
File: irishguy.png (26KB, 1000x1000px)
irishguy.png
26KB, 1000x1000px
>>52563936
>Christmas Lads
Are you sure the makers of this map didn't confuse Iceland with Ireland?
>>
>>52570132
Noel comes from Natalis - Birth. It's still christ-related.
>>
>>52563936
>Whole Poland marked as St. Nicholas
Nope. Should be Baby Jesus in Upper Silesia
>>
>>52563936

Map is wrong for France, it's baby jesus or St Nicholas for some eastern regions.
>>
File: YAKUTYA.jpg (75KB, 500x663px) Image search: [Google]
YAKUTYA.jpg
75KB, 500x663px
>>52563936
Make way for Chyskhaan, the world's most metal Santa:
>half-man, half-bull
>historically, his hat was decorated with mammoth tusks
>lives in the coldest place in the world (-71°C in January)
>master of killing cold, but for some reason also brings gifts to children
>>
>>52570043
>Also, you do that to appease him, because if he's pissed off, he's gonna fucking beat your kids half to death with his cane.
Sorta reminds me of the Icelandic stories where if a child is naughty the Yule Lads mother, who is this ugly troll woman, comes to town, kidnaps the kid, puts them all in a sack, takes them back up to the Esja, and then eats them.

There's also a gigantic cat who eats children who don't get new clothes for Christmas.
>>
>>52565666
>>52567133
I think Sweden still has a bit of the goat tradition, but people keep setting fire to the straw decorations.

In fact isn't it a "tradition" in one town that people keep doing that to a giant straw goat decoration?
>>
>>52563936
>Christ-child
>Baby Jesus
Usually that figure is played by a young woman with a shitty blonde wig.

We still got all the usual myths, but presents are handed out by a hot chick.
>>
>>52563936
In italy depends from the zone. Sometimes is Baby Jesus and is not even necessarily the 25 of december.
>>
>>52563936
>mfw you can easily tell the germans between Catholics and Heretics
>>
>>52569069
These days he's the exact same Santa everybody else gets. But originally Finnish christmas tradition included young men wearing masks and coats turned inside out (the "goat" term probably comes from the maskas often having horns and coats having woolen lining, so when you turn it inside out you look like you're covered with wool), and going to houses bumming for beer. And also beating up disobedient children for the parents. At some poitn it morphed into a creepy old man with the same outfit handing gifts, and then to the modern jolly old man in red coat.
>>
File: latestCA0AFL87.png (883KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
latestCA0AFL87.png
883KB, 1366x768px
>>52563936
>Spain
>Father Christmas
REEEE pagans, we have the Magi
>>
>>52563936
More of Germany should be Green, people around here in Westphalia and Hesse also have the Christkind (Baby Jesus) instead of the Weihnachtsmann
>>
File: 3 wise men.jpg (54KB, 663x475px) Image search: [Google]
3 wise men.jpg
54KB, 663x475px
>>52563936
They're looking for the king of the Jews.
>>
>>52576928
Nigga, we in NRW have both
>>
>>52576992
The degenerates may have the Weihnachtsmann, but the good catholic parts of NRW have the Christkind
>>
>>52577018
>good
>catholic
Wähl eins davon
>>
>>52577028
>tip fedora
>>
>>52577028
Yusuf from Duisburg-Marxloh detected
>>
>>52563936
What do you mean for unknown reasons? We know why he does it: to hand on presents and treats to every child that's been good that year.
>>
>>52563936
>Christmas Gnome
A tomte isn't a gnome.
>>
>>52567631
>>52567646
So the elves up in Lapland are drow.

I'm not going to lie, I was not expecting that.
>>
>>52577087
What is a tomte, then?
>>
>>52567187
>totally not pagan we swear
>>
>>52578109
We have something like that, but not Christmas related, in northern italy. Suspiciously close to th japanese Namahage.
>>
>>52577534
They're like christmas elves, but closer to household deities than a distinctive species.
>>
>>52577075
I assume that in this fantasy version of Europe, the Christmas present thing doesn't happen and Santa has other matters to convene about with the heads of state
>>
>>52575973
Not officially, but yes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gävle_goat
>>
>>52567671
>>52567780
>it really does look exactly like an offensive minstrel show
>(which is mostly a thing that blew over from America)

See, this is why I despise Americans (this is just a general rant, I'm not referring to the specific poster I'm replying to). I mean, you're friendly people and all, but you really are the dumbest, most self-absorbed mother fuckers on the planet. Even when you're actually trying to be culturally sensitive you STILL end up constructing tiny, narrow viewpoints based entirely on what you see through the lens of your own culture.

Zwarte Piet involves white people putting black facepaint on to make themselves look like Africans. In America, this is called blackface, and it is extremely offensive. Why is it offensive though? Well, it's offensive because in America historically this was done almost exclusively by people acting in the so called 'minstrel shows'. These portrayed black people as lazy, stupid and criminal. So maybe it's a good thing that putting on dark makeup to make yourself look like a person of African descent is considered offensive in America (although then again it could be argued that if you're not blacking up to put on a minstrel show, or other offensive parody of black people, there's really no reason why you shouldn't).

Either way, the black and white minstrel shows were a UNIQUELY American cultural phenomenon. No other nation had them (a few televised versions were exported at the tail-end of their popularity, but these were never more than a cultural curiosity from across the Atlantic). If you put on blackface in early 20th century England, it was probably because you were starring in a production of Othello. And on the continent, it was associated Black Pete, a tradition which had precisely nothing to do with either slavery or minstrel shows, and shows black people in a pretty much universally positive light.
>>
>>52581999

But naturally the fact that it has nothing to do with America's tradition of blackface doesn't stop Americans bullying tiny nations like Holland into complying with their cultural standards. Because let's face it, most Americans are completely ignorant of their own history, and they certainly have no idea about anyone else's. They only have the vaguest sense of why blackface came to be considered offensive (their explanation often comes down to 'something, something slavery').

They just see an opportunity for some good old colonialist moral shaming. Except this time its okay, because instead of telling brown people to abandon their harmless cultural traditions because they make the rich and powerful people from across the sea uncomfortable, they're telling white people to abandon their harmless cultural traditions because they make the rich and powerful people from across the sea uncomfortable. And that's totally different.

And the worst part, the absolute WORST part, is that a lot of Europeans - bathed as they are in the all encompassing dominance of the American media - are starting to accept this narrative.

It's like a cargo cult - the average Dutch or German journalist certainly has very little idea of why blackface came to be as despised is it is in America, they just see the rich and powerful American media behaving in a certain way, and so they join in with a ritual sacrifice of their own. Except that instead of praying for guns and food they're praying for the smug, un-selfconscious sense of moral superiority of the American liberal.

It doesn't matter that Zwarte Piet is if anything a positive representation of black people. This certainly has nothing to do with helping black people's image. It's about left-wing Europeans helping their own image in the eyes of the American liberals that they so pathetically want to be like. The justification can just be tacked on later.
>>
>>52563936
what the hell are 'Christmas lads'?
>>
>>52582015
Agreed, except when we speak of American smug moral superiority, it reaches its undisputed pinnacle in their conservatives.
>>
File: 1395351162955.png (248KB, 1428x2251px)
1395351162955.png
248KB, 1428x2251px
>>52574546
Sakha culture is pretty cool.
>>52563936
It really depends of the part of Spain you are from, you can get a different Numen bringing the presents, father Christmas is only popular in recent times.
>>
>>52570043
>>52567187
I remember killing those guys in Witcher 3
>>
>>52583563
it's like when it's ten bong on deccy twentyfive and you're best m8 whose the archbish of santabury suggests a cheeky nandos, innit
>>
>>52569949

Well considering there are written usages of Santa Claus in Scotland and Ireland in the 1850s it's been going a wee bit longer than 20 years.

I wouldn't be surprised if between the anti-catholic sentiment that lead to the low key nature of chrismas and large number of emigrants it was people returning or sending messages from the US and Canada that played a fair hand in christmas regaining it's importance here.

I need to do more reading but I've seen a few references to Father Christmas being seen as mostly being an English thing.
>>
>>52584185
So they're sort of reverse chavs
>>
>>52584337
England uses father Christmas and Saint nick. Santa is usually an Americanism
>>
>>52565455
didn't the Germans invent this whole christmas personification thing?
>>
>>52576565
Blame Coca-Cola for that last bit, especially the red clothes. Finland got culturally enriched by USA after our Olympics.
>>
>>52582015
Reminds me of that one time a famous Asian cosplayer got accused of blackface because she used body paint when cosplaying an Overwatch character (the latina one I think?)

Thing is, in the Asian cosplaying community, being accurate to the character is the most important. Therefore it's acceptable or even preferred to change your skin colour to match the character.

But people got butthurt anyways, even though actual Latin people commented saying they aren't offended by this at all, since there's no malicious intent in the first place.
>>
File: christmas-traditions.jpg (387KB, 600x2490px) Image search: [Google]
christmas-traditions.jpg
387KB, 600x2490px
>>52577534
pic related.
>>52579788
Romania too.
>>
>>52563936
Just to break it for you, St. Nicholas comes 6th December, not in Christmas Eve night. There are... 4 different entities doing this job, depending on region of Poland, including angels and baby Jesus.
And Orthodox Christmas are two weeks after Christmas
>>
>>52584725
I count three: Starman (if you are from Greater Poland), little Jesus (mostly Silesians), and angels (as in - little angels). Who's the 4th?
>>
>>52584725
fuck your angels, The Star Man is the true gift bearer!
>>
>>52584738
>Who's the 4th?
Krawaciarze z Warszawy dostają prezenty od reklamy Coca Coli
>>
>>52584780
Fuck you and your Star Man. Baby Jesus for the win!

>>52584791
Co jest tak kurwa żałosne, że aż nieśmieszne
>>
File: starman.jpg (147KB, 1050x802px) Image search: [Google]
starman.jpg
147KB, 1050x802px
>>52584780
>Starman
This is what I think every time I hear Poznaniaki talking about their guy.
>>
>>52584413
that and we created modern Christmas with tree and all
>>
File: Starman_Clay_Model.png (329KB, 517x875px) Image search: [Google]
Starman_Clay_Model.png
329KB, 517x875px
>>52584812
Pleb...
>>
>>52581999
>>52582015
Well, when everyone is always yelling at you for abolishing slavery later than everyone besides Brazil (never mind that this was in an attempt to avoid a civil war that then happened anyway), the virtue-signaling tends to go through the roof.

It's always been about having too much to "prove" due to being "the new guy" and going too far in trying to do so.

When nobody ever takes you seriously until you bring the threat of force upon them, you tend to become a bully, because it's the only way you can get anyone to treat you like a person.
>>
>>52583864
I'm a spaniard and i can confirm this is true
>>
>>52581999
>>52582015
>tfw you live in the dutch belt of America(West Michigan) and they don't even get the dutch part right

I live in Holland and we have Sinterklaas as part of our winter festival, but any mention of Zwarte Piet and the whole town gets uppity. Most only know of windmills, wooden shoes, Van Raalte, delft ceramics, tulips, and SinterKlaas.
>>
>>52584572
Asians give refreshingly few shits about what western people think
>>
>>52582015
America itself has little power or impetus to bully change in the Netherlands. It's second and third generation immigrants complaining about the stuff (as much as I dislike this being seen as something offensive, I do think we should acknowledge that integration goes two ways and that if you want to import demographics in large numbers you have to change a little too)
But I guess you can say it's America's insane cultural reach that infected them with the sentiment.
>>
>>52567806
The VOC and WIC enslaved 1% of the world's population. They became defunct by the end of the 18th century, but there were smaller traders taking their place. Half the population of Batavia were slaves.

There was an 1863 abolishment. Most countries abolished slavery in 1838. In 1854, the Dutch crown announced that they were going to abolish slavery by 1860 in their direct ruled territory, such as Suriname, but they didn't actually make the ruling until 1863, and even then there was indentured servitude. There were still outliers. In 1910, the Dutch crown had to take control, and end slavery in Sumbawa. 1910.

https://books.google.com/books?id=YcuhCgAAQBAJ&pg=PA432&lpg=PA432&dq=Sumbawa+slavery+1910&source=bl&ots=Q1gM18fDru&sig=vBA8VlfVGFUwLhQbQHCHLbw-QOU&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiHp4jn6JLTAhUGl1QKHTn8D2UQ6AEIIjAA#v=onepage&q=Sumbawa%20slavery%201910&f=false
>>
>>52584936
>Prefering robot over Bowie
Who's the pleb here>
>>
>>52568273
Black Peter comes from a much older story. St. Nickolas of Smyrna (western Turkey) was a Christian who encountered a black Christian boy from Ethiopia who was being sold as slave. He bought and freed the boy, but seeing as he was over 3,500 miles from home, he stayed with Nickolas, and helped him with his work.
>>
>>52584170
Different guys there.
>>
>>52588614
I thought the black man was a pirate slaver that he redeemed to abolish his ways, in that he now only took bad kids.
>>
File: krampus.jpg (3MB, 2200x3496px) Image search: [Google]
krampus.jpg
3MB, 2200x3496px
>>52567187
God I love both nuuttipukki and krampus
>>
>>52588647
I did not know this story.

It seems that he is also a Spanish Moor who arrives via steamboat and listens at the chimney. Either that or an Italian chimney sweep.

As for modern day festivities, blame Canada. The Canadian Army in WWII spent Christmas of 1944 in the Netherlands. They heard about the legend of Black Peter who helped Father Christmas, and thought that if one helper was good, a whole lot would be better. They blackened their faces, and handed out goodies.
>>
>>52588647
Black Pete is an African child who gives sweets to good children. The legend varies from region to region but it's generally some form of >>52588614 ,

Krampus is the dude who takes bad children. See >>52588718. He's just a demon (or rather, part of the old pagan traditions that was adapted to the role.)
>>
>>52563936
>Grandfather Frost
In fact, there are two Grandfather Frosts, who are brothers. The one who brings presents is Father Frost the Red Nose. The other one is Father Frost the Blue Nose, who didn't really survive to this day. He turned naughty kids into ice sculptures (jee, I wonder why people stopped telling their kids about him?). Instead, we got a hot girl who helps Father Frost with hauling the present bag around. No complaints on my part.
>>
>>52588718
why does the little girl look so happy? If she's pleased that a ghastly daemon is taking her little brother away to eat him, maybe she's the naughty one.
>>
>>52590780
You DON'T understand the South Germanic culture. Always being vigilant and reporting everyone is considered a virtue. All the better when you report your friends and relatives, means you put the common good above your personal loyalties. Likewise, you're supposed to enjoy the punishment of criminals. This is the place where the word Schadenfreude came from,
>>
>>52564184
You dense fucks, the goat is swedish, a swede made the map, fuck the sweeds.
>>
>>52591149
Calm down Pekka, here's your bottle.
>>
File: käsivarsikhan.jpg (46KB, 350x233px) Image search: [Google]
käsivarsikhan.jpg
46KB, 350x233px
>>52591236
Fuck you, Pekka is a christian name, fuck christianity, the sweeds brought it here, i don't want any of your god damn pickled herring or piss tasting beer you damn dirty sweed, i bet you're the one who wants to make our santa look like a fucking goat, even though its A SWEDISH TRADITION.
>>
>>52591101
You're talking about the GDR
>>
>>52583563
The Christmas Lads (or Yule Lads) are a troupe of either whimsical pranksters or mischievous pests or homicidal monsters that eat children depending on which story you read.

There are usually 13 of them, each with their own unique quirks and personality traits. They visit houses individually on each of the 13 nights leading up to Christmas. They leave gifts or punishments (usually in the form of rotten potatoes) in the shoes of children left on the windowsills.

They are as follows:
>Stekkjarstaur (Sheep-Cote Clod)
Harasses sheep, but is impaired by his stiff peg-legs.
>Giljagaur (Gully Gawk)
Hides in gullies, waiting for an opportunity to sneak into the cowshed and steal milk.
>Stúfur (Stubby)
Abnormally short. Steals pans to eat the crust left on them.
>Þvörusleikir (Spoon-Licker)
Steals Þvörur (a type of a wooden spoon with a long handle) to lick. Is extremely thin due to malnutrition.
>Pottaskefill (Pot-Scraper)
Steals leftovers from pots.
>Askasleikir (Bowl-Licker)
Hides under beds waiting for someone to put down their "askur" (a type of bowl with a lid used instead of dishes), which he then steals.
>Hurðaskellir (Door-Slammer)
Likes to slam doors, especially during the night.
>Skyrgámur (Skyr-Gobbler)
A Yule Lad with an affinity for skyr (A type of Icelandic yogurt).
>Bjúgnakrækir (Sausage-Swiper)
Would hide in the rafters and snatch sausages that were being smoked.
>Gluggagægir (Window-Peeper)
A snoop who would look through windows in search of things to steal.
>Gáttaþefur (Doorway-Sniffer)
Has an abnormally large nose and an acute sense of smell which he uses to locate laufabrauð (A traditional Icelandic bread that is eaten near Christmas).
>Ketkrókur (Meat-Hook)
Uses a hook to steal meat.
>Kertasníkir (Candle-Stealer)
Follows children in order to steal their candles (which in those days were made of tallow and thus edible).

Cont.
>>
>>52591950
My favorite interpretation of them had them no bigger than your normal D&D halfling and all wearing matching leather jackets with their name on the back.
I used them as Krampus's minions in a Christmas game I ran for my group.
My Halfling player still wears the jacket belonging to Skyrgámur. I don't have the heart to tell him his favorite bit of character flavor translates roughly to yogurt gobbler
>>
>>52580250
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gävle_goat
This entire thing reads like a multi-campaign running gag. My players would pull this EXACT same kind of shit.

>Burnt by unknown vandals reportedly dressed as Santa and the gingerbread man, by shooting a flaming arrow at the goat.[13][28] Reconstructed on 5 December. The hunt for the arsonist responsible for the goat-burning in 2005 was featured on the weekly Swedish live broadcast TV3's "Most Wanted" ("Efterlyst") on 8 December.

>A 26 year old man fleeing the scene with a singed face, smelling of gasoline, and holding a lighter in his hand was arrested. Under questioning, he admitted to committing the offence, adding that he was drunk at the time and that in retrospect, it was an "extremely bad idea".

>Destroyed by an arsonist equipped with petrol on its inauguration day,[23] just hours after its 50th "birthday party".[48] Organizers said they would not rebuild the goat this year.[22] It was replaced by a smaller "replica"[49] built by local high school students.[50] This goat was later hit by a car.
>>
>>52591395
>pickled herring

Don't you dare insult pickled herring you mongoloid ice-nigger.
>>
>>52591425
I'm Swiss and it's exactly as he described here.
>>
>>52591395
I'm so sorry that we burned all the records of Kings of Finland and ancient Finnish Empire and replaced them with totally forged accounts about primitive Finns living in mud huts and beating each other with sticks.
>>
>>52593416
>This goat was later hit by a car.

top kek
>>
File: joulupukki.jpg (104KB, 940x529px) Image search: [Google]
joulupukki.jpg
104KB, 940x529px
>>52584453
As a Santa impersonator for five years, I'd say that Finnish Santa and American Santa are different although they might seem similar at first.

For example, Santa's clothing has (or should have anyway) Fenno-Scandinavian elements in it like Lapland leather boots instead of regular boots or a hemp rope instead of a belt.
But most importantly, American Santa is a JOLLY old man while Finnish Santa is jolly OLD MAN.
Finnish Santa is nice nowadays as opposed to the traditional form of being grumpy, bordering on scary, but he is still an old person who needs a cane and acts very calmly.
American Santa on the other hand pops a bottle of coke and does a backflip onto a moving sleigh with a neon infused reindeer.
>>
>>52589027
Snegurochka is around for a pretty long while, mate.
>>
>>52591950
they started selling Skyr at my local grocery store

that stuffs great I would wear a skyr-gobbler jacket all day every day
>>
>>52594437
As a winter holidays character? Nah. She was just some random snow golem and had nothing to do with Father Frost
>>
>>52595721
Daily reminder that if a character was introduced/reworked during Romantism, then it means it's old enough to qualify for being folklore.
>>
>>52593953
>Finns
>mud huts
But don't they make their houses out of logs?
>>
>>52596268
Who do you think they learned the technology from?
Thread posts: 131
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.