[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>start playing a pen and paper with some friends over teamspeak

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: little girl and an ass.jpg (70KB, 604x603px) Image search: [Google]
little girl and an ass.jpg
70KB, 604x603px
>start playing a pen and paper with some friends over teamspeak
>none of us, except the GM, are particularly experienced with /tg/
>everyone is too afraid to take risks
>everything is either played extremely safe, or takes forever to be decided upon (often with heavy hints by the gm)

How do you get across that barrier, /tg/? We've had characters die before, and I am too attached to mine to risk his life.
>>
>>52552570
forget getting attached.

forget being cautious.

Play your characters like you would drive a stolen car.
>>
>>52552665
But we also want to get shit done. If I drive against a tree with a stolen car the instant I get in, I might aswell walk.

We are currently playing a campaign (after only playing a bunch of one-shots before), and a character dying in mid-campaign would mean that everything he gathered to solve the campaign would be lost, and a new character would basically start at zero.
>>
>>52552752

If everyone is at lvl 5 and your character dies, your GM shouldn't make you reroll a new character at lvl 1. Letting you pick up again like nothing happened is one thing, but making you start all the way over is another.
>>
>>52553080
We play DSA, the game does not work with levels but rather with adventure points that you distribute among your talents. While beating adventures you get more of these points (depending on the number of sub-goals you reached), and a number of them is auto-distributed on certain talents that thematically fit the adventure. (For example, an adventure in a mine will grant you adventurer points in your stone crafting talent, etc.) Restarting a character in this game is not that simple.
>>
>>52553262
>playing that convoluted mess
This is the future you chose.
>>
>>52552570
>or takes forever to be decided upon
I had this problem as well when starting. Just act like if you actually were in said situation, if there is a horde of orks rushing at you, it's rushing at you RIGHT FUCKING NOW, there is no time to discuss strategy!
>>
>>52553610
It's pretty fun. It seems more immersive than having levels like in a video game.

>>52553659
I think we were kinda spoiled because in our first adventure the gm saved our ass with semi-deus ex machinae whenever there was some serious trouble.
>>
>>52553717
>It's pretty fun. It seems more immersive than having levels like in a video game.

Sure, but this kind of advancement mechanic is by no means unique and there are lots of better systems using it.
>>
>>52553751
Well, it is the one pen and paper we chose to play, and we are all used to it by now. It also has some other fun mechanics, for example for all talent checks you roll 3d20 instead of 1, on 3 of your attributes that are dedicated to the talent, and then you substract all of your points that you are missing on your dice rolls from the stat of the talent you rolled for, and the remaining points of the talent stat determine the quality level of your check. It sound complicated, but it makes it easier for the GM to decide how much information he can give us for knowledge checks etc.

What games are similar to this?
>>
>>52552665
>Play your characters like you would drive a stolen car.
Slowly and cautiously, so as not to attract attention and actually get away with it?
>>
>>52552570
The best roleplaying advice I ever got was never say "No" to anything. Even if your GM is a railroading twerp dragging you into some stupid lelsowacky misadventure you will have far more fun rolling with the punches than going in kicking and screaming. If your GM is good you have a great time. If your GM sucks you beat him at his own game, which is fun for you and the other players forced into this nonsense.

The second best roleplaying advice I ever got was never get too attached to your characters. Yes, deaths suck. Especially when it's a character you really like. But this isn't a book where you make your character the hero. It's a collaborative game, and collaborative games demand flexibility.
>>
Take a break from the main campaign.

Y'all should run a classic horror movie scenario.
Nobody, but nobody, should expect to live.
The monster might live to kill again.
There might be a couple line survivors.
But death and disaster comes.
Maybe even have a few back up characters for when the first batch get thinned out.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.