[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /tg/ think of a non-human setting? It isn't unimaginable

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

File: 1.jpg (153KB, 622x800px)
1.jpg
153KB, 622x800px
What does /tg/ think of a non-human setting? It isn't unimaginable for other race to fill in the hole left by mankind, right? And, why should we always need someone whom we can sympathize with?
>>
>>52550093
>What does /tg/ think of a non-human setting?

A good decision. I'm tired of having humans shoved in my fucking face in every setting.
>>
Sympathizing with a character is a fundamental part of giving a shit about a story. I don't think that it's impossibly to sympathize with an elf or goblin or whatever, but I think being unable to is a serious flaw. I kind of feel like taking humans out of the picture kind of defeats the purpose of fantasy races for certain stories to a degree since they're basically defined by the ways they aren't human, but there's plenty of settings without humans that work fine
>>
File: dobble space elves.jpg (235KB, 690x960px) Image search: [Google]
dobble space elves.jpg
235KB, 690x960px
>>52550093
I'm getting into Fragged Empire right now, and I really like the idea of humans as the mysteries long-dead ancient race. It gives the setting a unique flavor.
>>
Humans aren't necessary, but its possible to "sympathize" with even something as alien as an illithid or a creature that has no concept of linear time. It comes down more to the player and how far out of the box they can think more than the situation itself. That said getting into the mindset of a shoggoth doesn't tend to make for a lot of fun, though it is a neat gimmick the first time.
>>
>>52550121

Except people are plenty capable of sympathizing with creatures that aren't human.

James Cameron's Avatar proved it. Warcraft proved it before Avatar. Children's shows and movies that feature nothing but anthropomorphic animal people like Franklin, Little Bear, and the Lion King, all proved it before Warcraft.

If you go back far enough, you can find plenty of examples of non-human creatures that the audience can sympathize with.

Humans are not necessary at all.
>>
File: 1477595386200.jpg (118KB, 656x730px)
1477595386200.jpg
118KB, 656x730px
>>52550134
>double ears
Why?
>>
>>52550157
If you're under the impression I was disagreeing with that you misread my post. I think certain fantasy settings are better off for having humans, but I said that it's possible to sympathize with things that aren't
>>
>>52550093
In my setting, apocalypse happened, satan was defetaed, humans ascended and some of them recreated mortal world and created elves, orcs, dwarves and every fantasy race in general. Now ascended humans just watch that world and only rarely visit it to troll its mortal inhabitants.
>>
File: fragged_empire_kaltoran.jpg (458KB, 604x840px) Image search: [Google]
fragged_empire_kaltoran.jpg
458KB, 604x840px
>>52550165
For science!
>>
My usual solution is dropping the "humans have all these diverse cultures but elves are monolithic" trope. It makes no goddamn sense why ever race other than humanity is a single hivemind culture who all act the exact same but humans are diverse.
>>
>>52550430
Because diversity is good, and white males are bad.
>>
>>52550430
With al tha backlash this trope gets here I kind of like it, and don't thin k it is that unjustified.
When you have a long-lived race (generational changes are major factor in cultural changes and differentiation), with very conservative mindset clinging to the "old days" (at least elves and dwarves are usually portrayed as such), which is further fueled by being surrounded by hordes of inferior aliens (humans) whose existence makes the non-human races more aware and conscious of their "racial uniqueness", being confined to single type of biome/environment, and usually stemming from one initial now fallen and shattered empire/kingdom/country, a solid degree of cultural uniformity is certainly not something very strange
>>
>>52550756
Culture is one thing. When every fucking Elf ever has the exact same personality, it gets very fucking tiresome.

And this shit happens with every non-human race. Dwarves, Orcs, Kobolds, Gnomes, they all get reduced to a single stereotype that gets repeated ad nauseam.
>>
>>52550093
I think those are great idea and potentially can be better than setting with humans in it. It fix at least all problems with humans in fictional setting by removing them.
And there is no problem with symphatizing or identifying with non humans when they are POV characters especially if there are no humans.
Also don't halfass it and leave smilar to human races like elves or dwarves.
However most setting like that are ones with talking or humanoid animals so its kinda lazy.

>>52550121
Thats never problem, if there story with non humans they are still characterized enough to audience find them relatable
>>
>>52550756
It's still nonsensical to basically have a dwarfen king and the rest of his people are just... people. Basically an entire, even small, nation composed of one monarch and his family and the rest are just free-men with the same rights for everyone.
>>
How about asetting where halflings is the dominant race and humans are the more warmongering race like hobgoblins?
>>
File: zelda-breath-of-the-wild.jpg (188KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
zelda-breath-of-the-wild.jpg
188KB, 1280x720px
>>52550093
>What does /tg/ think of a non-human setting?
Yeah, it can work.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.