[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So /tg/, I'm going to be DMing a Digimon game using Digimon

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: Digimans.png (61KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
Digimans.png
61KB, 200x200px
So /tg/, I'm going to be DMing a Digimon game using Digimon Digital Adventures. I've never used this ruleset for DMing before, so it'll be interesting.

I'm theming this off of Adventure 01/02/Tri, and a big issue I'm running into is determining how and when my players unlock their partner digimon's evolutions for the first time. It's going to be a pretty big RP focused game (with plenty of combat of course), but I'm not sure how to unlock each evolution without making it feel hamfisted in with forced "your partner is in danger, time to unlock your new form".

Any suggestions?
>>
>>52546487
First, I would recommend going to the multiple Discord channels for DDA advice, since the small community around the games tends to gather there.

Evolution is a bit of a complicated thing, and it relies on the speed the game moves and how mechanically and narratively you want the games to be separated. First of all, only worry for Champs at the beginning, and make most evos after that be locked beyond plot until they can reach it, like in Adventures and the Crests/Tags. If you take it purely by narrative decisions, just make them evolve whenever it's fitting, but until everyone unlocks their evolution they can't go in and out at will, so it will give whoever you plan/manages to get the spotlight in a nice way. If you want it purely mechanic, just pit them against an opponent they can't defeat, it's not that hard if you make a difficult opponent, and when they are on the edge of defeat give everyone a Will roll for evolution, there are rules about it on the manual.

One idea I've toyed around while planning a game, is making it so the players have full agency about when their Digimon evolve. However, if they don't pass a series of trials related to their destiny, they will get a Dark Evolution. So it's a matter of the players themselves understanding when evolution is needed, and when they characters are ready. A small set up scene of the evolution and maybe some inner dialogue can achieve this very easily, and show the focus on which evolution should appear. Needing strength, gaining strength and earning strength are very different concepts.

The discord, just in case:
discord gg/NUSWZJ6
>>
>>52547250

Yeah, I'm going to have some kind of narrative similar to the tags/crests. I'm going with the narrative decisions mostly, as well.
>>
>>52551088
Think if you want the team to evolve (or unlock at least) evolution at the same time, or if they should do it on their own individual episodes.
Whatever you choose, make sure everyone knows beforehand so they can prepare, and if you do it individually put a bit more focus on their characters so you know what buttons to hit when they need to trigger the evolution. Focus more on trying to pick up a rhythm and structure for the first few sessions, or even make them start with In-Training Digimon and make them earn their Rookie rank, so you have more flexibility along the first few sessions.
>>
>>52551732

I was thinking I wanted it by character and not all at once. I'm just worried about making it feel forced.
>>
>>52546487
Well, like the show, you'll have to isolate and challenge them. If they pass the test you have for them they digivolve.

>>52554409
If you're worried about things feeling forced, just tell them it's prophecy and they're the chosen ones. Players will usually jump INTO forced situations if it means they're special.

-- If you don't want to go that route however, you could make evolution based on the eggs like in that season apparently nobody watched but me. That way the evolutions could be shared and debated upon.
>>
>>52554409
>making it feel forced
IMHO that would be basically like finding +1 gear in D&D: at the end of the day it is always the GM's choice to hand them out when he thinks it's appropriate. If it feels forced, that's because to a certain extent it is forced.
All you can really do to hide that fact is pay attention to roleplaying moments when player characters' individual desires and struggles are the focus of the "episode", and if one player isn't giving you enough to work with, you discuss the issue in private.
You're more likely to have a player complain that another "less deserving" player got a new evolution first, than anyone saying "it felt forced" when it happens to them.
>>
>>52546487
I've toyed around with creating my own Digimon system. Evolution is one of the areas that I've put more thought into, and I think I have a good solution. I have no idea whether it'll work in D:DA though
>>
>>52546487
>>52554868
Oops, forgot to post the solution.

B
I have no idea whether D:DA has a good way to simulate this, but the way to handle it is to give the digimon a one time boost the first time the evolve to a new level. That way it's not just the next shiny toy they get, it's a secret weapon that they're deploying at the most opportune point.

This also goes well with what we see in the show. The first time that garudamon appears, she's able to give myotismon a run for his money. On subsequent appearances however, she's barely able to scratch him.
>>
>>52547250
Discord is trash
>>
>>52559485

What does your [trash] opinion have to do with anything?

>>52547250

I think I already am a member of that discord? I've joined three of them, anyways. One of them is DDA dedicated anyways. And yeah, I'll ask there as well.

>>52554814

That's fair. I'll have to probably tell my players what I'm expecting.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.