[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm playing an Aarakocra cleric in a new campaign, and I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: stole source.png (513KB, 1041x799px) Image search: [Google]
stole source.png
513KB, 1041x799px
I'm playing an Aarakocra cleric in a new campaign, and I really want to play up the fact that she's both extremely foreign and a holy woman. A lot of the D&D clerics I've seen act basically like wizards with different types of magic, so I want to emphasize that she's pious and prayerful, without being annoying.

We play our games over roll20, so my initial plan was to merely use "/me" to say that she "mutters a prayer" or "asks her god for guidance" a lot. Is that enough, or should I actually write out some authentic-sounding prayers, and use those? Has anybody else ever done shit like that?

As for the foreigner front, that seems a lot easier. She's already displayed some degree of confusion at cultural customs, so I think I can just keep doing that, right?
>>
Make her worship a god of journalism and try to get the scoop on everything.
>>
>>52534166
She's worshiping a godddess of knowledge, so she's actually really likely to be extremely inquisitive. She started her adventuring life to get more information on a topic that's very dear to her, after all.
>>
>>52534116
As for your two ideas on prayers, why not both? Nobody wants to hear you drone on and on with long repetitive prayers all the time, but during a roleplaying-heavy session, it'd be cool to have a longer prayer and it's flesh out your character in a cool way.

On the same token, small /me commands all the time might become annoying, but throwing a few in during a dungeon crawl could be a nice little splash of RP color.
>>
>>52534230
That sounds like a good idea! Using long-form prayers sparingly sounds really fun.

Thanks!
>>
>>52534230
>>52534116
I GM on roll20 all the time; this is a common enough parlance I. Chat that it should fly. Do you guys chat only ingame? Or do you use voice too?
>>
>>52534491
We use voice, most of the time.
>>
>>52534116

Write out a few simplistic prayers in Latin, change a few letters and a bit of grammar, and chant them in combat.
>>
>>52534508
Ah, so is the chat bar reserved for specific activities then? Make sure not to spam too much, and make sure not to make it too repetitive and you'll be fine.
>>
>>52534591
Gotcha.

I guess the fun part now is coming up with a big list of prayers. I'll probably need specialized ones for the dead, those in danger of dying, and the morally troubled. Plus, of course, standard blessings for food and water, and prayers for getting up and going to bed. And stuff for my channel divinities.

Anything else I should have premade ones for?
>>
>>52534116
other suggestions:
>figure out a traditional phrase for your sect and use it as often as is appropriate. e.g. "Keelah Selai" or "Goddess guide you" from Mass Effect, "Talos give you strength" from Skyrim, etc.
>your faith should affect your cognition in more ways than just language. An intellectual god will likely value innovation over safety and so a devout follower will prioritize similarly. Likewise, if everything can be learned, why would you ever settle for "that's just how it is"?
>>
>>52534116
The kind of status she's enjoyed doesn't translate well into other cultures. Without pushing it too far or being a dick to the party, you can have her expect a degree of deference from NPCs that they have no idea they're supposed to give her.

You can also find a way to do culture shock without disrupting the party. Bird people might practice sky burial, and burying someone under the ground might be seen as the ultimate insult.
>>
>>52536639
That burial thing is a really good idea. Damn.
>>
>>52534116
what system are you playing? if 5e, unearthed arcana just released a spell called ceremony, which seems to have awesome RP potential for clerics
>>
>>52538715
It is 5e. I'm super happy about that Arcana, and definitely hope I get the chance to use it, at some point.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.