[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 429
Thread images: 39

File: 1490573378103.jpg (732KB, 1181x1181px) Image search: [Google]
1490573378103.jpg
732KB, 1181x1181px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>Download Unearthed Arcana: Starter Spells
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-Starter-Spells.pdf

>Official survey on Unearthed Arcana: A Trio of Subclasses
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/9d26907ef733

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v5b
https://mega.nz/#F!X0pAFZyA!IHfzmw5zLUXvvvsKpUmhTw

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previously, on /5eg/
>>52525449
>>
how come everyone has darkvision except humans? Humans should get darkvision too!
>>
Which statblock is the most versatile in terms of reskinning?
>>
>>52529953
I NEED IDEAS FOR A BUNCH OF SHIT TO HAPPEN IN A SLIGHTLY SPOOKY COASTAL AREA.

FISHING VILLAGES
MISTY FORESTS
LIGHTHOUSES
WEIRD VILLAGE CUSTOMS
AND ALL THAT COOL SHIT

I'M COMING UP BLANK ON NEW IDEAS
>>
Any one else feels it is kinda dumb having a Bard take spells from half casters before thry get access?

The ranger and Paladin in the party have been pretty annoyed by the Bard pilfering their spell list long before they even get access to it themselves.

Should it be restricted, or should they just suck it up? They did take half casters, so they shouldn't expect to get first dibs on high level spells anyway, but I can kinda understand being a bit annoyed when their unique spells are being used several levels earlier than they should be available.

Also wondering how much I should worry about the power it has. The Bard has taken wild quiver - is it actually fitting for it's level? Like, it is a level 5 spell, but under normal circumstances it wont be available until level 17, where a bard can pick it up at level 9 - I just have this feeling the spell might have been balanced with character level 17 in mind, and not the spell slot level.
>>
>>52530086
What exactly do you want? Encounters? Spooky things? Potential story arcs?
>>
File: 1490194656459.gif (41KB, 239x239px) Image search: [Google]
1490194656459.gif
41KB, 239x239px
>>52529953
Is it good to buy that starter pack set thing if I want to get into d&d?
>http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/rpg_starterset
Also how the fuck do I convince normies + gf to play the game with me?
>pic not related
>>
>>52530086
AND YES I HAVE PIRATES ENCOUNTERS ALREADY

THE THING WITH THE "GOATS WITH TEAMWORK FEATS" FELL THROUGH WHEN THE DRUID CAST "CALM ANIMAL" THOUGH

>>52530125
YES

THE PARTY IS ACQUIRING A FAIRLY LARGE HOUSE IN SUCH A REGION.
>>
>>52530137
Ask them, and put effort into it. If their first experience sucks, it won't work out, but if they have fun it can last forever. You should know what your friends like, so match the tone.
>>
>>52530103
Welcome to Lore Bard; enjoy your stay.
>>
Need help...

I have a Bard player who is about to uncover a Instrument of the Bards

It has been a longer quest to find it. Unfortunately, I haven't looked them up. Only now do I figure out it is all Harps, lutes and lyres.

She cannot use those. She can play Flutes, pianos and tamborins.

Could I just refluff one of them as something else?
>>
>>52529953
best adventure from Yawning Portal to use with a group of mixed veteran and first time players?
>>
>>52530182
I would say definitely do this
>>
File: tFe6YKR.jpg (13KB, 277x600px) Image search: [Google]
tFe6YKR.jpg
13KB, 277x600px
>>52530086
A nearby witch has been luring people into a marsh with an illusion/apparition of a beautiful woman. When men follow to meet the woman, they are suddenly pulled into the black water, never to be seen again.
Also this isn't spooky in the traditional sense, but the idea of getting sucked out by a riptide always freaked me out.
As a last resort, there are always dolphin rape caves.
>>
>>52530086
If its a seaside spooky village, it has to be "everyone is secretly fishpeople and the adventurers will be sacrified"

Use sea spawn, kraken priests and a summoning which makes a kraken tentacles attack the sea shore. The pcs have to stop the ritual to send the kraken back to the depths
>>
>>52530086
Spooky fog rolls in sometimes. Fishing boats go in boats full of lifeless skeletons come out
>>
>>52530182
Of course, they are not so unique you can't just refluff them.
>>
>>52530086
Undead pirates spooking everyone for their booty and taking captives to become more crew.
>>
>>52530200
Alright.

Hoping I dont step on the toes of the purist in the group, I just dont feel like it makes sense to punish the Bard for not picking a lute or harp.
>>
>>52530191
what level you want fampai?

probably Sunless Citadel or Forge of Fury
>>
>>52530152
That didn't really answer my question.

People dont normally seen to think they are broken or anything, so I kinda assumed it wasn't a problem.

And it is not just Lore bards. All bards have access to magical secrets, even if Lore are worse in this regard.
>>
>>52529996
dragonborn, halfling, goliath, etc.
>>
>>52530137
Go to game store and find someone willing to take a newfag in to play
>>
>>52530250
don't want to confuse the new players too much with 'complicated' character sheets, so most likely gonna run Forge of Fury, thanks
>>
>>52529996
The only PHB races that should have Darkvision are Dwarves, Drow and MAYBE Tieflings.
>>
>>52530234
That is the wrong expression to use
>>
>>52530274
Elves and shit should be able to see up to 60 feet fine in Dim Light.

Dwarves and Underdark races should be able to see fine in Dim Light and 60 feet in Darkness.
>>
>>52530086
>>52530201
http://imgur.com/gallery/j32bm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelpie
>>
>>52530277
He almost pissed himself with rage because I described a drow with a "wrong" shade of black, so I believe my concern is appropriate.
>>
>>52530086
THE DEAD WALK
>>
>>52530311
>I described a drow with a "wrong" shade of black
How do you describe a race with blackish skin that comes in a few different shades wrong?
>>
>>52530301
> want to seperate low-light vision and darkvision again

Please go back to /pfg/. We don't need another 10 minute discussion and reminder of who see what during the session, everytime we go into dungeon.

We could use that time to actually having fun.
>>
Does anybody have digital maps for Tales from the Yawning Portal?
>>
>>52529996
Because darkvision is a useless ability.
A simple lanten fix it.
>>
>>52530201
I like this idea, and will take it.

>there are always dolphin rape caves.
AINT NOBODY STEPPING INTO MY MAGICAL REALMS

>>52530203
>"everyone is secretly fishpeople and the adventurers will be sacrified"
nah. technically the party is inheriting control of the county. I'd like to avoid having all their constituency turn out bad.

>kraken priests and a summoning which makes a kraken tentacles attack the sea shore.
perhaps late in the section...

>>52530208
perhaps I can tie this to >>52530201

>>52530227
I'll need some preponderance to make this work.

>>52530305
I'm less familiar with the Gaelic mythic creatures. got any more?

>>52530316
this reminds me.
There's a Hawaiian myth about sand walkers or night walkers(don't remember the name).

don't whistle and don't look up lest you catch their eye and are forced to march with them for ever...
>>
How do I git gud at DMing?

My current problems:

* I don't know how to drop hints. I either completely forget to mention something or explain the entire plot.
* I don't know how to roleplay an NPC not being convinced by a player's persuasion. I either let the player get away with way too much or just say "he's not convinced". This is especially difficult when a player casts charm.
>>
>>52530329
I didn't know Pathfinder had it. I've only played 5e and a few other games like Shadowrun.

Personally I find little things like that easy to get my head around and more fun to have to work with. I have played with people who I had to just ignore light penalties completely because they didn't understand though. So I know what you mean.
>>
>>52530311
No, no. To "step on someones toes" means to upset them because you are entering their realm of responsibility. Like, if a waitress started making the food at a restaurant she would be stepping on the chef's toes.
>>
>>52530328
I described it as a black colour like that of coal, for the 1 drow they met, and he flipped his shit.

Something something obsidian, something something ree

Not even sure what he said, he just went off.

Thankfully he is not the Bard, and with a bit of luck he doesn't know what the instruments are supposed to be.
>>
File: 1426420651830.jpg (24KB, 214x317px) Image search: [Google]
1426420651830.jpg
24KB, 214x317px
rolled 13 str, 12 dex, 10 con, 12 int, 11 wis, 14 cha, robe of stars as random starting item. paladin? bard? really slutty wizard?

pic unrelated
>>
>>52530352
no help from me on the latter

but on the former I recommend printed notes

even if you know by heart every word on them.

because then you can HIGHLIGHT pieces as reminders and plan your hints better.
>>
>>52530366
Considering he practically fumes when I talk about the lore, it almost sounds like he made it, and finds it a personal offense when I get it wrong.

But alright, English it my third language, and the equivalent sentence in my primary language means something entirely different.
>>
>>52530336

little help please.
>>
>>52530336
they are the in the mega you dolt
>>
>>52530352
Check the DMG pp. 244 Social Interaction. An NPC can be convinced by a player, but still not want to take any kind of risk for them

>"I agree with you, but I still don't want to poison the kings wine"

>>52530370
Tell him he is autistic
>>52530374
It's always slutty wizard. Unless its slutty sorceress, which is even better.
>>
>>52530103
The spells are balanced to their spell slot, even if only higher level characters can normally get them, so don't worry about that so much. As for your paladin and ranger being annoyed that the Bard gets the spells before them, talk to the bard player and see if he would be willing to pick spells that those players aren't going to learn later. He might really feel these spells fit the character he is going for, and in that case it's fine, but otherwise you might be able to convince him to pick something else. Otherwise the ranger and the paladin are going to have to get over it. They are half casters, they are better at using weapons than the bard is, so he gets better magic.
>>
>>52530352
You'd be surprised how dense people tend to be. Sometimes saying, "Fuck off, I don't believe you" leaves people wondering.

Never bet on hints working. Also, they tend not to be fun. Player's need direct knowledge, otherwise they never tend to pick up what is going on.

Now, if the hint is more of a foreshadow, those tend to work fine whether people guess right or not. People are going missing? Good job foreshadowing the Mindflayers/Vampires/Ghosts etc. A good hint is one that can be misinterpreted and still be fun to play through.
>>
File: 1454324869455.gif (3MB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1454324869455.gif
3MB, 400x300px
>Three old women shuffle into the room
>Their skin is icy blue and they have withered almost hideous features
>Lank white hair hangs halfway down their back and upon closer inspection seems to be entwined with bone
>Each one of them clasps a gnarled oaken branch they use to support themselves as they walk
>Around their neck they each wear a necklace of ears
>Paladin interrupts
>"THEY'RE HAGS AND THEY'RE IN A COVEN QUICK SEPARATE THEM TO WEAKEN THEM"
>>
>>52530394

I'm sorry. I didn't check the trove, it wasn't up there yesterday. Thank you whoever updated it. you're the best.
>>
File: guiareacompleteforestfinal.png (756KB, 1200x480px) Image search: [Google]
guiareacompleteforestfinal.png
756KB, 1200x480px
>>52530420
>Good aligned hags that use ghoul ears
>Want to sell the party potions, to aid their quest
>Each hag sells a different type of potion
>They warn the PCs not to mix them
>In addition to gold they ask for something odd
>The memory of a full moon
>On the next sabbath, find a cat and give it milk
>Back rubs
>>
>>52530086
>A young fishwife made a pact with a sea hag and now she's coming to collect
>Kuo-toa in the sea caves
>A ghost ship has been spotted lurking on the horizon
>The villagers are in league with sea spawn and a deep scion
>The fishermen have been catching freakish-looking fish
>All kinds of sea creatures are beaching themselves on shore
>The corpse of an enormous globster washes up
>A seagull cries out a PC's name
>The shoreline has been retreating and an underwater ruin is slowly being exposed
>Crabs with shells shaped like human faces
>A strange idol was recently found on shore and the sahuagin want it back
>>
>>52530086
Encounter a pristine white beach encircled by some mossy hills. Beach is glimmering with bits of precious metal and jewels. Area is otherwise very drab and foggy.

Upon closer inspection the precious metals and stones are horrible maimed and twisted and the "sand" is chalky. Few bits of gold turn out to be gold teeth and the sand is actually pulverized bone.

Once party is actually on the "beach" near the water the hill(s) lurch towards them in a pincer movement.

Roll initiative, hulking crab(s) Inc.
>>
Give me your best martial memevrews and 3rd party
>>
File: carousel-horse-1.jpg (50KB, 450x250px) Image search: [Google]
carousel-horse-1.jpg
50KB, 450x250px
>>52530086
The village is a one-horse town

>His name is Ed
>During the day he is kept tied up in the center square
>Children feed him hay
>Everyone in town remembers when they fed Ed
There has only ever been one Ed
>>
>>52530467
>A young fishwife made a pact with a sea hag and now she's coming to collect
quest initiated by her banging upon the manor-door

>Kuo-toa in the sea caves
I've pulled them before, BUT it's been long enough that I can do it again and not seem repetative

>A ghost ship has been spotted lurking on the horizon
the resident pirate ship is called the Demons Reach

but how could I use the phantoms?

>The villagers are in league with sea spawn and a deep scion
they are, a mostly benevolent one in my case though.

>The fishermen have been catching freakish-looking fish
I'll have to work out the why and the how.

>All kinds of sea creatures are beaching themselves on shore
what do they fear enough to chase them free of the sea?

>The corpse of an enormous globster washes up
globster?

>A seagull cries out a PC's name
adding to the occurrence page

>The shoreline has been retreating and an underwater ruin is slowly being exposed
perhaps the offshore mound upon which the local lighthouse sits is a leftover from an elder mage(whose apprentice they pissed off a couple of months ago after his interment)

>Crabs with shells shaped like human faces
adding to the spoopy shit page

>A strange idol was recently found on shore and the sahuagin want it back
a winged dragon with a cephalopod head you say?

>>52530549
>immortal horse
I'll probably have him have been traded for a century or two...
>>
File: angery dogger.webm (531KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
angery dogger.webm
531KB, 1280x720px
>>52530420
Man I have a player who does something similar but instead he has a knack for "jokingly" spoiling my plots. Either my stuff is way too obvious or we somehow are on the same wavelength when it comes to storytelling, but when I'm describing something halfway through he'll blurt out what he thinks is going to happen and he usually is correct. Of course I won't have my ideas cucked and so I have to immediately come up with another course of action.

>As you're walking down the main trade district, you see two very fancily dressed women off to the side
>You overhear one bragging to the other about this extremely expensive ring her husband just gave her
>"Oh just look at it dahhling, isn't it gorgeous? And so expensive, too! My husband truly loves me."
>Shortly after passing by the two women, you hear a sudden scream
>"Aaaah! My ring! Where did it go? It was just on my finger and in the blink of an eye it's gone!"
>Player interrupts
>"HAHAH IT'S GOING TO BE IN ONE OF OUR POCKETS"
And so, instead I had to play it off like the Quickling hid the ring in her friend's hairpiece. It just pisses me off when he cucks me and steals my thunder like that.
I guess the joke's on him though, because I was going to use my original plan to develop more story on that player character's love interest, HAHA FAG. MAYBE NEXT TIME IF YOU CAN KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT.
>>
>>52530086
Sinister Secret of Salt Marsh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_C2HJvtRDY
>>
>>52530604
>but how could I use the phantoms?
They're looking for treasure they buried but did not properly mark.

>I'll have to work out the why and the how.
There's a portal to an ocean on some other plane at the bottom of the bay.

>what do they fear enough to chase them free of the sea?
Perhaps something much bigger than a fish came through that portal.

>globster?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Globster
>>
Ever given a weapon a name? Was one of your tools ever so special to you, or ever helped you achieve a feat so great, you had to christen it with something?
>pre-CoS ravenloft
>get attacked in the church, protecting the priest there from bats/wolves
>cut through some pews with my greatsword to make a nice path to the critters
>greatsword subsequently becomes the pew-hewer, is later used to smash up Strahd's throne
Not exciting. Somebody show me up.
>>
>>52530419
I remember in the Curse of Strahd game I'm running I had described a large amount of bear traps in the area of the woods the players were in. Then gave the description of a humanoid 'thing' following them from a great distance, that they lose track of over their travel.

One character gets caught in a trap and screams, which causes something to draw in close.
At this point they're all freaking out, thinking its Strahd (had an encounter earlier, got their asses kicked) and are getting desperate.

So foreshadowing that thing appearing lead to them being way more scared of the encounter than if I had just sprung the monster on them right away.

tldr foreshadowing is great.
The monster was Actual Cannibal Shia Labeouf
>>
>>52530736
Pre or post hwndu?
>>
>>52530662
>They're looking for treasure they buried but did not properly mark.
perhaps I can link it to a local pirate ship and its lesser arc

>There's a portal to an ocean on some other plane at the bottom of the bay.
sing it with me campers!

there's a hole in the bottom of the sea!(clap clap)

but what comes from the hole that has stats I wonder...
>>
Is the MEGA not working for anyone else? can't download shit from it
>>
>>52530910
Mega's been having issues for people without accounts for awhile now, and not just the 5e mega.
>>
>>52530736
I loved playing CoS as a player and read the book after we finished the campaign. It does what its goal is very well (filling a party with worry and dread) but damn did I feel like my character never progressed at all. By the end of the campaign I was still wearing my starter gear and even though we made -enough- money it sucked that the prices of everything were jacked through the roof.

One part of me finds it's frustrating that I can't build or equip my character with stuff I want cause that's always part of the fun of it for me, watching my char and others progress on to better things. On the other than CoS isn't suppose to be a campaign of convenience, everything is intentionally hard and you are suppose to pick your battles wisely.
>>
File: 1425852717093.png (2MB, 1920x1154px) Image search: [Google]
1425852717093.png
2MB, 1920x1154px
>>52530406
>sorcerer

good call, completely forgot sorc existed somehow. 14 cha should be plenty
>>
>>52530771
hwndu? I don't know what that means.
>>
Is Shadow Sorcerer as good as it looks? I'm thinking I'll either be a Human, Halfling or Changeling to get use out of the Darkvision I get.
>>
>>52530939
I just have a crap ton of players that make things easier for them. I'm an inexperienced DM, so I'm still working on encounter scaling for bigger parties. They got it easy, but I could really see them wince when it came to buying armour and ammo, they all had to pool resources. They have one magic weapon (+1 Rapier), from a loot table I decided to roll after they killed the shambling mound but thats it.

Can't wait to see their realization that past the plot important items, they aren't really going to get much more.
>>
Just hit level 6 on my lore bard.

What are the best spells to pick up for utility? Find steed seems like a pretty damn good one, but I already have familiar from magic initiate.
>>
File: 14586755672331.jpg (149KB, 800x820px) Image search: [Google]
14586755672331.jpg
149KB, 800x820px
>>52530964
>hwndu? I don't know what that means.
>>
>>52530964
He Will Nut Inside Us
>>
>>52530998
The con to that is... it really fucking sucks knowing you really have no equipment yet are expected to survive being ambushed by several werewolves and you're a fighter with no magic weapons.

On the plus side, finding the Sunsword after searching for several weeks worth of sessions and keeping it hidden in my bag as I waited to spring it on Strahd in surprise was so fucking rewarding...

Nah just kidding, as soon as I struck Strahd with it he just cast suggestion of me and told me to throw the sword out the fucking window that was on a 300ft cliff.

I understand Strahd is super intelligent but I think I almost rage quit when the DM pulled that on me.
>>
>>52529996
>>52530342
Darkvision is a cheap thing that buys people into playing a non proper race (human). My GM usually finds a way to make me want to have a non-human character as he is playing the NPCs very smart, if the Hobgoblin sees a fire 120ft away he will have no problem shooting us with arrows because light gives him vision as well.
>>
>>52530274
I feel like SCA did Teiflings better. By default Teiflings should not have Dark Vision. But maybe the race should come with points or a roll system that you can buy demonic traits.

A tail, horns, darkvision, wings, maybe claws... etc.
>>
>>52531040
>I understand Strahd is super intelligent but I think I almost rage quit when the DM pulled that on me.
>I prefer when the intelligent masterminds turn into dumb brutes the moment we enter combat
>>
File: absolute autism.gif (524KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
absolute autism.gif
524KB, 350x350px
>>52531107
>Wings
Get out.
>>
>>52530999
if you don't have a druid in the party, i recommend conjure animals
there's no problem that can't be solved by a bear or 8 dogs
>>
>>52531115
That's not what I meant. Strahd commanding my char to toss the sword out a window was something Strahd would do and I don't fault my DM for that. Was just one of those frustrating things cause the plan myself and the party came up with literally went out the window.

It was a memorable fight cause Strahd pulled so many dirty tricks on us and only 2 people out of our 7 man party survived before defeating him.

Then they died too as soon as they tried to cross the bridge out of the castle and were roasted alive by flames.
>>
File: fucboi.jpg (206KB, 517x713px) Image search: [Google]
fucboi.jpg
206KB, 517x713px
>>52531118
Suck it fucboi, it's a thing.
>>
File: so mad.jpg (68KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
so mad.jpg
68KB, 700x700px
>play session today
>could have saved 2 party members from dying had i paid attention
>both of them die and i feel guilty about it
>>
>>52531226
What happened?
>>
>>52530723
I had one of my party members name their sword their "Wight-Light" after the Cleric kept casting Light on it during crypt dungeons
>>
File: Absolutely disgusting.gif (350KB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
Absolutely disgusting.gif
350KB, 500x282px
>>52531168
>Racial flying that doesn't require spell concentration
>People actually allow this in their games
>>
>>52531168
I don't play in AL but are they allowed to take it? I guess it can't be any worse then Yuan-Ti which are allowed.
>>
Question about Bigby's Hand. Is it proficient with Athletics? If not, do I get Jack of All Trades, or not since it's using its own Str?
>>
>>52531244
Give your enemies nets, anon. Instant falling damage. Good times for all.
>>
>>52531235
we were being attacked by lobstermen (i'm not exactly sure what theyre called in the monster manual)

the bard was split up from the rest of us on the ship we were on, and 1v1ed one of them before getting paralyzed by one and getting incapped. it then jumped off the side of the ship with the bard in tow which is when our ranger dove off the makeshift crow's nest into the water to try and rescue him, but ultimately got paralyzed and took a shitload of hp. the other monk tried to fish them out of the water, and the druid tried killing the lobster with call lightning but failed to. i myself was pretty low and only had 16 hp (half of which was temporary) and i think i could have managed to use the last of my ki to stun it and rescue the bard and ranger. roll20 shit the bed and our dm's internet died momentarily so we took a 5-10 minute break and i ended up forgetting about my plan. instead what i did was leap off the side of the ship and throw a dart that ended up missing.
>>
>>52531244
I never said I allow wings in my game. I just said it's a thing.
>>
>>52531248
Why is yuanti op?
>>
File: fug.gif (1MB, 260x260px) Image search: [Google]
fug.gif
1MB, 260x260px
>pulled into side game
>agree to play CoS with no knowledge of the module ahead of time
>only two players total
>/tg/ talks about it like it's some rappan athuk-tier pain in the ass
>>
>>52531310
Have you seen what their racials include, anon?
>>
>>52531310
Magic Resistance, Immune to one of the more common damage and the Spellcasting are just too much. One of those is enough to be a races main feature but combining all of them makes Snek boys OP.
>>
>>52529996
How difficult is it to buy the equivalent of a magical lightbublb?
>>
Anyone ever make a campaign where the pcs kill their old characters? Old characters are evil, new campaign would be good, seems like it would be fun for them to eventually become strong enough to best their old characters in their lair. I'd like to hint at it but not make it clear until the very end.
>tldr any tips for campaigns where pcs kill their old characters
>>
>>52531325
Cant open tools on phone
>>
>>52531353
why would they turn evil? are they characters from an evil campaign? or are they just evil from the pcs point of view
>>
>>52531372
Evil campaign. Based around them being tricked/betrayed and corrupted by mind flayers due to greed.
>>
File: 666.jpg (41KB, 392x376px) Image search: [Google]
666.jpg
41KB, 392x376px
A question about spell components from a new person

When, in a spell, it's listed as "V, S, M" does that mean that it needs all 3, or is it "as long as you can do at least one, you can cast it."?
>>
>>52531413

All 3.
>>
>>52531424
Thank you kind sir
>>
>>52531431
Do note that Materials can be replaces by a focus, unless it defines a value (like a 100 gc gem) or if it consumes the material.

It only consumes the material if it specifically says it does.
>>
>>52531248
Up to the DM. I had one of my players really want wings for their Teifling and I allowed it just for visual purposes. They were nonfunctional simply becauses races with wings can be game breaking, especially if they are ranged or use reach weapons.
>>
>Just found a necklace
>wears it
>nothing happens
>get home, cast identify
>grants +3 stacking AC
>But only if it is in contact with your skin, and isnt covered by anything.
>and you have to be a woman
When he said he'd help out my monk, I was super thrilled, but really? Like... come on...
>>
I need a sustainable way to come up with decent puzzles for a series of five towers, each of which is going to be a dungeon of decent size (ideally a session-long mission).

How much of a quest have I set for myself here? I'm enthusiastic and have loads of time as I won't even be starting on the campaign until the current one ends, and this isn't near the beginning of it, but I'm not sure how to begin making puzzles longer than a single riddle or a couple of basic slider puzzles or something.

Any ideas?
>>
>>52531507
>and you have to be a woman
You've now stumbled into your DM's Magical realm. Good job. Now find a way to become a female.
>>
>>52531507
You playing a chick? End goal here is for you to wear and open top to show off your rack?

I mean, why? Is he gonna want you to describe your tits all the time?
>>
For those who have done so, what was it like fighting high end enemies? Like Tiamat, Strahd, the demon lords, the tarrasque?
Were they effective as they're statted?
>>
>>52531507
>not wearing a chest binding
>>
File: saves your excuses for hell.png (2MB, 1280x1295px) Image search: [Google]
saves your excuses for hell.png
2MB, 1280x1295px
Megaanon here. Gotta come clean on something.

About two weeks ago, Kobold Press' Beyond Damage Dice was donated to me over email. I checked it over briefly and uploaded it to the Mega. However, in my haste, I didn't realize it had watermarks on it. I fucked up and put someone's email address and potentially their real name up in the trove. I can't apologize enough for this.

If anyone downloaded it before, please delete the version you got and redownload the cleaned version. Don't share the watermarked version, for the donator's sake, please.
>>
>>52531574
It seemed like an honest mistake.
>>
File: 1486453124990.png (23KB, 160x223px) Image search: [Google]
1486453124990.png
23KB, 160x223px
>>52531574
Sheit
>>
>>52531574
Fuuuuck. People in this thread can be kinda dicks but hopefully not malicious, so hopefully it gets solved.
>>
>>52531574
Is this why the megas are down?
>>
File: ArcanistsMillFull.jpg (252KB, 1024x791px) Image search: [Google]
ArcanistsMillFull.jpg
252KB, 1024x791px
WORKING ON AN ENCOUNTER WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Nicodemus Arcleones the arcanist lived alone, earning small money from passing trade to merchants. enchanting the odd item or piece of equipment, selling whole Golems on rare commissions. sometimes knotting winds into cords for the local sailors. People around say he's an okay neighbor, never caused any trouble as far as anyone can remember.

He's short with his words, but isn't spiteful or mean, and he's friends with the local lighthouse keeper. He tends to wander away in the middle of conversations as if he suddenly remembered something more important, sometimes to sketch wierd symbols on the nearest available surface.

One day he shows up in town, beaten and bloody, and begs for help. He's been researching how different types of materials affect golem and other constructs sate of mind. one such golem went crazyand beat him badly The Arcanist understands if the prototype need to be destroyed but he needs his resarch notes and his house intact.

he could be convinced to do some work for the party or the township but not a lot as it takes a great deal of time, effort, and materials to arrange his magic and "tune" his workshops.

"The ley-lines in this area are good for this work, or they would be if they didn't swell and ebb with the damn tides"

>this quest allows the party to purchase simple enchantments for equipment at a minor discount
>>
>>52531616
map is gonna get rearranged for the quest. FYI.
>>
>>52531596
No, we had a giant cunt in here earlier who was intent about reporting megaanon's trove to wizards so they can do fresh rounds of DMCA.
>>
>>52531596
Mega is having problems with public folder shares. If you register on Mega and try downloading when logged in it should work.
>>
File: 1426486856439.png (124KB, 510x546px) Image search: [Google]
1426486856439.png
124KB, 510x546px
>>52531507
Is your monk a woman already?

If not, you know what to do.
>>
>>52531517
Keep the puzzles freeform as much as possible. Use shit you find on the internet.
>>
>>52531725
>freeform as much as possible
In what way? I'm planning on borrowing as much from the internet as I need to fill things in, but I want a handful of unique puzzles if I can possibly help it.
>>
>>52531734
No single solution, and try making the puzzles as physical as possible. So there are lots of opportunities to use skills.

Never leave the players without another option than solving it. Otherwise the fun in the session will end
>>
>>52531507
Doesn't that mean that if you're even slightly moving it won't work? Gotta use glue or some shit.

Anyway, what I recommend is that you actually just tie the necklace tightly to some place, making it a choker or making it dangle from a leg (no one said that you gotta wear it on your neck).

If the GM tells you it won't work, tell them to try being an adult for once and not put their vanilla fetishes into the game.
>>
>>52531759
That makes sense. No idea how I'll go about making multiple solutions, but I see the reasoning. This will require some thought.
>>
>>52529953
okay so i've literally just bought the starter set and me and 3/4 friends have played a couple one off adventures to get us into things

any tips for an aspiring DM? i'm really enjoying the game so far
>>
>>52531759
To clarify: keep them roleplaying. It pads out the content and keeps them from losing interest. If you need to insert a statue into a slot, put it 30 ft up a greased poll. So getting up there is part of the puzzle
>>
>>52531507
Wrap it around your fist and punch your dm
>>
What is the general opinion on beyond the damage dice.
Tbh i think it is great
>>
>>52531782
It can be as simple as "if you get it wrong, a trap springs but you still advance". But also making puzzles that are open enough that your players might come up with solutions you never thought of.
>>
>>52531674
Yes.

>>52531549
Great idea, actually. He'll probably be pretty disappointed, haha.

>>52531772
Nah it just works if I wear it around my neck, and it is neither covered not on top of clothing.

Pretty obvious magical realm stuff, but I can hopefully dissuade most of it without telling him to stick it where the sun doesn't shine.
>>
>>52530086
One word. Weresharks.
>>
>>52531507
>>52531831

Never said you had to wear it as a necklace, either. Wrap it around your wrist or ankle. Put it in your sandals on top of your foot.
>>
>>52531846
...this I could swing...

especially in conjunction with the sub-arc I have entitled "there's a hole in the bottom of the sea(clap clap)"
>>
File: 1491251545810.jpg (579KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1491251545810.jpg
579KB, 1024x768px
fun traps of clever design. I need more ideas.

anyone ever find reason to do anything but stick to the basic damage/save dc guidance of the DMG?
>>
>>52531790
Watch stuff like critical roll on other YouTube DMs. Just to get an idea about dming
>>
>>52531150
If you don't mind listing those dirty tricks so I can use them when my party catches up to him, that'd be great.
>>
>>52531856
>Never said you had to wear it as a necklace,
Unfortunately a requirement, but he described it as resting right above my bust, so a chest binding should work.

I think he'll regret it though. Almost level 8, and once I hit that, I'll have 20/18 Dex/Wis, so that's a 19 AC, 22 with the necklace, and a bonus action dodge will make me impossible to hit for regular small guys.
>>
>>52531924
Even with just 21 AC at level 7...

>CR6 Chimera
>3 attacks at +7 to hit
>Each attack has a 9% chance of hitting
>Will on average not hit the monk with any of it's attacks
>Breath attack
>DC15
>Monk with 20 DEX
>and prof.
>AND ADVANTAGE
>91% chance of dodging it.
>doesn't even take half damage because lolevasion
Holy fuck.
>>
>>52531542
Anyone?
>>
Is it relatively easy in 5e to create monsters on the fly and create homebrew monsters?
>>
>>52531989
Exactly the reason why our monk will be waiting for a long time to see a a single pair of Bracers of Defense.
>>
hey tg I'm trying to think of a cool catchphrase for my dark elf ranger
I was thinking something like this *brandishes sword* "Oh this little thing? It's just Blackrazor, or as I like to call it, my off-hand" thoughts tg?
>>
>>52532040
So edgy, bro.
>>
>>52531881
This is a cool trap and I'm stealing it.

In exchange, have some off-the-top-of-my-head-spitballing ideas:

>Two panels that have to be simultaneously weighted in order to open a door, but one of them is a trapdoor that opens at the same time
>Big, heavy door that requires pushing, but which is actually a ┐ shape which locks into place, thus blocking off the way behind when opened
>Swing-rope to cross a chasm, but the rope is hung from a hook and comes off it at the height of its swing, leaving one party member stranded alone
>>
>>52532064
its cooler than anytthing you can come up with
>>
>>52532006
Its generally easiest to take a monster in the MM and swap out a few bits if you want a new monster.
>>
>>52532008
And they still get 2 fucking attacks.

Like what the fuck. Bounded accuracy is completely broken, if you can just impose disadvantage that easily. Especially od your GM is an idiot and hands out stackable AC items.

This is why you dont think with your dick. Your dick is not very smart, and is terrible at math.
>>
>>52532146
Did it cut too close to home?
>>
>>52532155
Wouldn't that just make for monsters with similar or same abilities?
>>
>>52525553

You can already do this via a Ring of Spell Storing

Same thing applies for a Paladin Steed
>>
>>52532040
Someday, someone will best me. But it won't be today, and it won't be you.
>>
>>52532187
It takes a while to create completely new monsters. It's not something you could do on the fly unless you're Rainman or have a lot of experience.

Most DMs will refluff existing stat blocks or design individual encounters prior to use.
>>
So how good is the Shadow Sorcerer's ignore death ability? It looks amazing at low levels where the save will only be like 12-15 but I imagine it becomes worthless quickly.
>>
>>52532187
There is enough variation on existing monsters that you can usually find something that does close to what you want that you can just swap the damage types or a few spells. I needed a Psychic Gorilla in one session so I took a Quaggoth Thonot from the manual and swapped its slashing damage for bludgeoning and swapped some of its spells out for ones of the same level.
>>
>>52532231
Not him, is it easier or more time strenuous to create monsters in 5e compared to other editions?
>>
>>52532278
I'm imagining the party paladin getting his chest caved in by some omega-harambe that can liquefy brains with mean looks.

I would like to know more
>>
>>52532324
Couldn't tell you, never DM'd a previous edition, and I'm relatively new to it for 5e.

For the monsters I've created, it'll take maybe 10 minutes to make a simple new monster I reckon, once you understand the mechanics. 20 for one with interesting mechanics. No idea how to CR one with unique mechanics beyond fudging it. Make of that what you will.
>>
>>52532334
You mean Professor Harambe, the most powerful telepath in the world.
Combine the quaggoth with the elder brain stats.
>>
>>52532170
I made that mistake as well once.

Then the monk sat in a doorway to block a ton of savages raiding a castle. He had placed himself so 2 enemies could hit him. He needed to "buy time".

He had sanctuary up and running, and he just stood there like a motherfucker for 3 full turns before 1 managed to ignore it. When both finally ignored it after 7 turns, he switched from action spamming dodge, to bonus action dodge and 2 attacks.

To make it worse, when they finally managed to make a dent in him and bring him below half health, he just used his heal to get almost all of it back. And this was turn 28, and he had killed 12 of them.

I just made them turn around and leave, because it was fucking pointless fighting this guy. They had tried getting through for 3 minutes.

It was just dumb. I had thought it would be a mad dash to survive with the civilians, but this guy just placed himself like a fucking wall. They would have gotten through faster by attacking the brick wall.
>>
File: Hilltop.png (104KB, 1920x1043px) Image search: [Google]
Hilltop.png
104KB, 1920x1043px
Anyone know of a good Hilltop map for battle?

Sending image related against my party for a massive arc ending battle, need good map inspiration (or a product to steal wholesale).
>>
Whats the best way to be a low dex lore bard? Multiclassing?
>>
>>52532469
That's a pretty fucking epic story that sounds like it would get exhausting after a while
>>
>>52532364
What mechanics are unique to 5e, especially for monsters and npcs, do you think?
>>
>>52532519
Well... You're a full caster so you don't really need to go into melee much. I guess a shield spell might be good.
>>
Yester Hill from Curse of Strahd is pretty good
>>
>>52532519
High strength.

You are proficient with long swords.

Grab dwarf for medium armour.

Or you know, just focus on being a spellcaster. 20 Lore bard pure casters are still incredibly good.
>>
>>52532519
>Whats the best way to be a low dex lore bard?

As opposed to low ... Strength?

Grab Dorf I guess. It's not worth multiclassing out of.
>>
>>52532519
Dwarf for armor and shield prof/HP?

But yeah, >>52532540
>>
File: hero.gif (916KB, 408x306px) Image search: [Google]
hero.gif
916KB, 408x306px
>>52532469
I wouldn't even be mad. Just throw on some of that ambiguously eastern rising sun music and we're playing a wuxia game now.
>>
>>52532519

I mean, you could start out as a paladin. If you're going to take a tank on the dex prof save anyway, might as well start with a class that will give you prof on shield and heavy armor
>>
What's your favorite cantrip or spell from the new UA?

http://www.strawpoll.me/12670701
>>
>>52531259
No and no
>>
>>52532571
>setting up a game of CoS
>The players, independent of each other, all choose monks
Here we fucking go, boys.
>>
>>52532692
Don't answer the retard.

He'll probably just ask more stupid questions that basic logical thinking would tell himm
>>
So Toll the Dead looks like a straight upgrade to Sacred Flame damage-wise (except against undead), but what about the saving throw? What kind of enemy is more likely to possess better wisdom over dex?
>>
>>52532719
Well any divine casters for a start.
>>
>>52532719
Sacred flame is kind of a shitty cantrip, to be honest.
>>
>>52532742
This. Now I can take the two new damage ones and be able to handle melee and ranged on my Light Cleric.

Also Death Clerics will love Toll the Dead.
>>
>>52532671
>Ceremony beating chaos bolt
that's surprising
>>
>>52529953
What's reasonable starting gold for 3rd level PCs to equip themselves? 150gp?
>>
Do you treat your passes/failures on skill checks as binary or fluid?

For example; if a PC rolls a 14 on a 15DC check, does that PC only slightly fall short of the task they were attempting, or is their result the same as if they had rolled a 4?
>>
>>52532872
You could give them class stuff, background stuff and let them roll on the gold table. My DM never gives us extra gold no matter the level, for whatever reason
>>
>>52532861
I don't get it either. Were people under the impression you couldn't get married before this spell existed or do any other religious ceremonies because there wasn't specifically any rules for it? You don't need a spell or rules to roleplay a coming of age ceremony.
>>
>>52532903
I usually just say a pass is a pass and a fail is a fail.
>>
>>52532903
Fluid
Within 1-2 I usually give players a reduced penalty for failure, like failing to disarm a trap but managing to not set it off regardless. If they're climbing something, I let them stay a bit up and retry rather than vaulting the whole lot in one go. I also let super-high rolls give some kind of advantage where I can, like a good check for vaulting reduces the speed cost of the jump, or whatever.
>>
>>52532903
Depends on the skill. For example, failing to disarm a trap by 5 or less means it doesn't go off in your face. Failing an athletics check for climbing by a little means you don't fall, but also don't get any higher.
On the other hand, if you fail investigation looking for a hidden door, you don't find any evidence there is a hidden door
>>
>>52531995
>>52531542
Tiamat can kill anything anytime anywhere.

I had to power up Strahd (gave him armour, a magical greatsword and higher level spells) as I have a large party of 7
>>
>>52532861
>>52532909
Not really that shocking. Chaos Bolt is a funky lolrandom damage cantrip. In the end, it's still just a damage cantrip.

On the other hand, Ceremony is a rather diverse spell with lots of options that provides lots of fun roleplaying opportunities that people wouldn't have thought of before. It helps make clerics feel like genuine priests, rather than just another flavor of spellslinger.

I mean, let's face it. Before now, who actually had a cleric in their party that regularly performed funeral rites or weddings, ordained with a blessing from their god? Sure, you could do it before but the fact that this spell now exists thrusts all of the rites and ceremonies that a priest performs into the spotlight.
>>
>>52533010
>Chaos Bolt is a damage cantrip
Worse, it's a level 1 damage spell
>>
>>52533010
>Before now, who actually had a cleric in their party that regularly performed funeral rites or weddings, ordained with a blessing from their god?
Played a Cleric of Kossuth.
Did exactly this.
It was very easy.
Any time you set anyone on fire it's technically a Kossuthan ritual.
>>
File: sunsinger.jpg (128KB, 500x647px) Image search: [Google]
sunsinger.jpg
128KB, 500x647px
is phoenix sorcerer any good? I like the flavor but it's mechanically sort of bland, you just do more fire damage and cheat death once/long rest. which is good to keep combat moving, I guess.
>>
>>52533044
Depends; how much do you and your DM buy into the "there are good and bad damage types" meme?
>>
Friendly reminder that you can get married only once in your life
>>
>>52533010
The last time I played a Paladin who was trained as a priest before taking up the sword I did funeral rites for most dead humanoids we came across and the cleric in my current campaign I am running leaves stone carvings on any corpses he finds/makes. We didn't need a spell to tell us to do that, it just made sense for the characters.
>>
>>52533058
not at all
>>
>>52532972
Is Tiamat really that powerful?

Yeah, Strahd is lacking a few things, namely an actual melee weapon among other things.
>>
>>52530626
>Letting your players interrupt you

Tell him if he keeps doing that disrespectful shit he can find another group. If they're talking too much without being prompted (ESPECIALLY OOC), you can tell them to wait for the "what do you want to do?"
>>
>>52532972

I put him in his Animated Armor, gave him a 3 levels of Undying Tome Warlock and a +1 sword, and upped Heart of Sorrow to 70 HP

Also, had him have friends, and play dirty as fuck
>>
>>52533072
Yes. Tiamat has 25 AC, 615hp, 120ft. fly, immune to 6th level and lower spells, 30hp regen, immune to acid cold fire lightning poison nonmagical physical, DC 26 fear, three attacks for ~80 and, crucially, FIVE legendary actions

She could Bite 5 times a round for 230 damage or two breaths for 182 damage 90ft. cones and a bite

>>52533117
I had his animated armour pop on and off him to give him better AC and then attack with stunning lightning punches

He also used Watery Sphere on the uppity druid who favored Fire Elemental form. lol 7k damage
>>
>>52530103

Fucking delicious salty tears from faggot paladins and rangers.

Get fucked retards.
>>
>>52533112
> not killing DM BBEG during their monologue.

We are here for an orgy fun time, not looking at DM masturbating over "muh plot"
>>
>>52533148
>>52533072
Nuclea..... okay I will stop now
>>
>>52533179
Nuclear Druid actually would have quite a hard time even hurting Tiamat, as it relies on a spell that's less than 7th level to hurt her.
>>
>>52530103
I play a Charlatan Lore Bard who is a right crummy bastard, lies, cheats, and steals, beholden only to his right crummy bastard trickery God Mask

I fucking adore and delight on taking Paladin spells like AoVitality and Circle of Power, and when I even use them against Paladins, I'm at full fucking mast.
>>
>all this talk about monks being op
???
>>
Which class do you think would fit the courtier background the most?
>>
>>52533195
Pg 201 PHB.

> Casting a Spell at a Higher Level

> When a spellcaster casts a spell using a slot that is of a higher level than the spell, the spell assumes the higher level for that casting. For instance, if Umara casts magic missile using one of her 2nd-level slots, that magic missile is 2nd level. Effectively, the spell expands to fill the slot it is put into.
>>
>>52533262
Depends on the kind
I'd imagine Mastermind is up there in terms of pure 'shadowy goverment figure'
>>
>>52533315
But it's still a first-level spell. It's cast using a higher spell slot, but it's a first-level spell.
>>
>>52533262
Warlock
>>
Would like feedback on a basic puzzle idea I'm putting together.

>One party member (the Controller) separated from party by a previous trap, but now has to control parts of puzzles without being able to communicate with the party how they're going to control them.
>Images of the sun shine incredibly brightly upon a 10x10 large tiled square.
>Walking on squares covered by the light causes 2d4 radiant damage per 5 feet.
>Above the square, the images of the sun rotate automatically every few seconds to show the moon instead.
>Only one may show a moon at any given time, with the previous one reverting as soon as it's flipped.
>The Controller is able to select which one will rotate next.
>However, not all of the suns can be flipped, but this is only obvious to the Controller (so they can't just move in a straight line across the field).
>The party on the ground should select which square to move to next, while the Controller communicates to the DM which square they're going to have flip next.
>If no square is chosen, a random one will flip instead.
>If the party choose the wrong square, they take the damage, but are able to move onto the correct square instantly if it's adjacent.
>>
>>52533340
Do you have reading comprension in your skill portfolio?
>>
>>52533262
>>52533323
This guy got it
>Your focus is on people and on the influence and secrets they have. Many spies, courtiers, and schemers follow this archetype, leading lives of intrigue
>>
>>52532906
in place of having them all roll individually, I'd prefer to give them all the same amount
>>
>>52533344
>is a royal court retainer
>involved in a lot of politics
>this somehow makes them in a pact with otherworldly forces
You've lost me
>>
>>52533353
Sounds pretty shit tbqh senpai.

Players are terrible at communicating on a good day and your puzzle is based around handicapping that? Nomae
>>
>>52533340
> assume the higher level for that casting
>>
>>52530103
Tough shit? There are spells out there like Elemental Weapon whose scaling option only exists so that the Bard can grab it and cast at higher levels
>>
>>52533444
>>52533356
Turns out I'm illiterate, I was thinking about Globe of Invulnerability. Maybe being able to kill Tiamat in one spell is enough reasoning to not allow Twilight Druids.
>>
>>52530182
She can still play them, she just can't add her proficency bonus on that instrument for her performance checks

And if your bard didn't have proficency in performance, then we need to talk about you coming out of the closet honey
>>
>>52533440
>Players are terrible at communicating on a good day

But that's sort of the point. Both Controller and other side have to guess which way the other will go. And they can always find alternate ways to solve it (magical shields, tanking damage, etc.)
>>
Where is "Nuclear Druid" getting the Magic Missile spell?

Is it Druid 2/Wizard 17?
>>
>>52533406
>Deal making back ground
>Deal making class

It's calle a Fae Court for a reason anon
>>
>>52533600
Arcana Cleric
>>
>>52533607
Right.

But y'all realize the 10d10 necrotic is only added once, right?
>>
>>52533600
You need lots of Druid level for sweet Harvest Scythe dice.
>>
>>52533600
Magic initiate
>>
>>52533632
8d10 I believe, because of the rounding. The whole point is that Magic Missile supposedly has one single damage roll which applies to all darts. So if you throw three darts and get a 4 on the damage roll, you're dealing 4 three times for a total of 12.

The necrotic gets added to that damage roll, so it applies on every dart.
>>
>>52533632
> 2017
> he still didn't know how magic missile work

Ahahahahahahahahahahaha
>>
>>52530964
He Will Not Divide Us, Shia is trying to put up a flag on camera somewhere but fucking stupid /pol/lacks keep replacing it with Nazi imagery and so on.
>>
>>52533645
Can't use higher spell slots if you get it with Magic Initiate.
>>
>>52533645
Magic Missile isn't on the Druid's spell list so he could only cast it at level 1
>>52533654
Yeah I somehow doubt that was intended. Therefore, we use our brains and decide that it applies once.
>>
>>52533690
Have you been spending time on the Beyond forums by any chance? I've been arguing with people on there for days about this.
>>
>>52533690
>Yeah I somehow doubt that was intended. Therefore, we use our brains and decide that it applies once.
Irrelevant to the RAW theorycrafting we like to do here.
>>
>>52533740
No, I just saw it now and was impressed again with how retarded people here are
>>52533749
Case in point
>>
>>52523363
>tfw never would have gotten into 5e, spending over $200 so far, if not for the full material being freely available to test out
Actually, you're going out of business because too many people in real life have realized you're a shit-eating cuck and don't want to give your overpriced store business.
>>
>>52533659
>Publicly declare "He Will Not Divide Us" in the form of a 24/7 livestream
>Promptly get divided as fuck repeatedly because you just offered an open camera to every troll on the internet
>Also get thrown in jail because you were so triggered you lost the ability to differentiate friend from foe and punched your own supporter in the face

Not Shia's best moment. Still better than the sum total of all the Transformers movies he starred in.
>>
>>52533766
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/10/17/magic-missile-do-you-roll-the-same-d4-for-all-darts/

https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/774030989894955008?ref_src=twsrc^tfw&ref_url=http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/10/17/magic-missile-do-you-roll-the-same-d4-for-all-darts/

Maybe not intended, but Crawford's interpreted it that way, and that's good enough for many.
>>
>>52533766
>Case in point
M8,
>It's written as such.
isn't
>EVERYONE HAS TO DO IT THIS WAY!

No one would allow it, but your, nor my houserules are what we talk about.
>>
>>52533786
Don't forget:
>Trump is Literally Hitler because he wants to erect a wall to keep undesirables out and wants to vet refugees
>Your protest stream gets disrupted
>So you erect a wall to keep undesirables out and don't let people in front of the camera until you vet them
>>
>>52530311
What the fuck? Obsidian and coal are very similar. Coal is even relatively shiny.
>>
>>52530405
Everything is just sitting on "Queued"
>>
>>52533786
I get doing things for the keks, as much fun as it might be, it's pointless. the one thing I will never get is why /pol/ of all places wants to divide america, or fuck with someone trying to unite americans, they'd all be the first to be killed and/or die in a worldwide societal collapse.
>>
Any ideas for optional nonlethal way to collect enough shell from a flail snail for the shield? They're too cute to kill.
>>
>>52533824
Crawford is amazing for terrible fucking rules interpretation.

>nucklear druid
>simulacrumsplosions
>>
>>52533066
Friendly reminder that you are a fucking idiot if you marry someone, and then get divorced, at any time, for any reason.

You should fucking know what you are getting into, and if you have even the slightest doubts, you say no. I have 0 sympathy for retarded who just marry because "Oh joy, we've kinda liked each other for a few months!" and then get divorced later on. That's like being surprised you lost money in a casino.

In a world where the gods actually manifest themselves through their clerics and paladins, you better believe that this is taken A LOT more seriously. Or do you want to tell that Cleric of Lathander that you divorced your wife because "nah didn't feel like anyway."?

You God will piss on you and throw you on the fucking wall for being a heretical little piece of shit, that invokes the name of the God in your marriage, only to defile it.
>>
>>52533824
The way the argument goes:
It's not RAW!
>Show that it's RAW
It's not RAI!
>Show how it could be RAI
I'm not allowing it at my table!
>At which point the goalposts are beyond /5eg/'s reach
>>
Hello /tg/, I had an idea for an encounter and wanted to know if it is stupid or not:

>Party gets back to town and sees that it is empty
>If anyone gets split off from the group they are pulled through a gateway into the Ethereal Plane
>Shortly thereafter, a copy of them appears in the Material Plane who is exactly like them, but out to kill the party in the end
>The party has to figure out if the party member is actually evil while the trapped one has to circumvent the town in the Ethereal Plane and destroy the artifact or person holding them there (haven't figured that out)

It's pretty barebones, but I spoke to my girlfriend about it and they said that they would go out of their way to prove the character was evil since I am voicing them now.
>>
So you can choose which of the d8s determines the Chaos Bolt's damage? That's not as lolrandom as I thought it could be.
>>
>>52533917
I completely disagree on the first point.
On the second, yeah.
Gods would be greater reason to think marriage through. And probably there would be some penalty to married cheaters.
>>
>>52533917
What if a wizard casts Geas on you telling you to get a divorce
>>
>>52533212
Specifically GMs that hand out AC increasing items that stacks for the monk.

They can Dodge as a bonus action. That means 2 attacks + giving disadvantage to all non-hidden enemies attacking you.

This is completely bonkers, as 20 AC alone is already difficult to punch through when you have disadvantage. Add something that gives +3, and you are now next to impossible to hit for any regular foe. You also get advantage on a lot of saving throws, so even that wont work too well.

Take the above example of a level 7 monk vs a CR6 Chimera. It basically cannot touch him, and he still gets two attacks a round.

It is only really balanced by the fact that it IS an evasion tank, and the d8 HD means he will go down super fast if a few lucky hits goes through, and legendaries won't give a shit, and just wreck him anyway.
>>
Are friends and/or charm person spells worth taking as a bard? How often do they come up in your games?
>>
>>52533931
http://www.dndbeyond.com/forums/class-forums/druid/1703-anyone-tried-a-nuclear-druid

In the case of the argument I had, one guy didn't bother with making sense.

It's not RAW!
>Show that it's RAW
But you can't multiply the dice, it doesn't mention multiplying the dice!
>I never said anything about multiplying dice
You still can't multiply the dice!
>What do you mean?
You can only use the dice once!
>I'm only using it once
You can't multiply the dice!
>>
>>52534001

>Take the above example of a level 7 monk vs a CR6 Chimera. It basically cannot touch him, and he still gets two attacks a round.

That's an unalloyed good thing, though. The best case scenario for having an invincible PC? The monster attacks someone else (if intelligent).
>>
>>52533902
The anti-magic material that make up their shells is produced naturally by the flail snail, which is also in the residue they leave behind in trace amounts. By collecting enough of the residue, usually in sheets once its solidified, a skilled worker can extract the substance and coat a shield with a layer of it.
>>
File: 1485413460680.pdf (2MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
1485413460680.pdf
2MB, 1x1px
>>52533977
The best part of the spell is that it can leap on other targets.
+it's dubs the spell.
Need that on the expanded spell list for Keks warlocks.
>>
>>52534009
Charm Person might come up now and then. It lasts long enough to get what you want out of an NPC, and in a pinch it can force someone to stop attacking you without using up your concentration. Friends should never be used because it doesn't last long, can't make someone stop attacking you, and makes the target hostile immediately after it expires.
>>
>>52534060
But which spell would it replace?
>>
>no one else talking about the Puppet spell

C'mon, set up your party in a line and make the enemy drop their weapon and run the OppAttack gauntlet, what's not to love?
>>
>>52533885
Hence why I was somewhat worried if I just replaced an Instrument of the Bards with a different type of instrument.

I think he might have some undiagnosed issues.
>>
>>52534053
Nice.
>>
>>52534130
It's forced movement, which I don't think procs opportunity attacks.
I still think it's a stupid 1st level spell.
>>
>>52532469
>B-but monks suck and are weak guys!!!
Get btfokds up, Monk haters.
>>
>>52533936
I like the idea, but this is putting a lot of weight on your party's ability to not be metagaming shits. The whole thing would probably work better in a roll20 game where it's easier to take control of the character without tipping everyone off.

Alternatively, if there's a way to silently communicate with the character's player you can have them play the clone while passing them notes on what to do and a general idea of what to say.

If the only option is really voicing the character's words and actions aloud yourself, you just have to trust that the players are going to pretend to be oblivious when they fail their Insight/Perception/whatever check. If you can't trust them to do that, you should probably find another encounter to run cause nothing shits up a game faster than having to point out that someone's metagaming super hard.
>>
So what's the most generic/stereotypical 5 person D&D party possible?

Human Champion Fighter Obviously
Halfling Thief
Elf Wizard or Elf Ranger?
Dorf Fighter or Cleric?
Human Healbot Cleric?
>>
>>52533892
problem with mega in general, not the trove
>>
>>52534341
Dwarf Fighter, Human Cleric, Halfling Thief, Elf Wizard.
>>
>>52534375
Oh and Human fighter
>>
>>52534277
>You also don’t provoke an opportunity attack when you teleport or when someone or something moves you without using your movement, action, or reaction.

Damnit, I had in mind that it still counted because it was "up to their speed". Well, that's useless then, unless you're moving them into danger or something. Would work alright with Hunger of Hadar or something.
>>
>>52533212
Depends on the situation and if they have decent AC
>>
>>52534130

It's a "not as good" Dissonant Whispers.
>>
>>52532170
>Bounded accuracy is completely broken, if you can just impose disadvantage that easily.

There are no balance problems whatsoever. Unstoppable defenses are only things to fap about if THE WHOLE PARTY HAS THEM.

>>52532469
Awesome.
>>
>>52533072
>>52533148
Check out how borderline impossible it is to fight Tiamat at night. She can breathe outside darkvision range.
>>
I'd like to roll an ungodly amount of dice on a single attack damage roll. How can I best do that? Any class, but nonhumans cannot into divine magic, no UA.
Easy mode: Once a day, level 10
Hardmode: 3+ times/day OR level 5
>>
File: Buddy_christ.jpg (31KB, 370x284px) Image search: [Google]
Buddy_christ.jpg
31KB, 370x284px
Ceremony
Marriage
>"A creature can benefit from this ceremony just once."

Someone's Catholic is showing.
>>
>>52534341
Aasimar Devotion Paladin
Wood Elven Land Druid
Half Orc Assassin
Dwarven Life Cleric
Goblin Thief
>>
>>52534403
It's meant to force any sentient creature into traps or to the middle of their enemy crowd. Not to get free hits in or other stuff. Heck, using Puppet is best for not wasting anyone else's resources on the fight. Puppet can potentially end fights before they escalate too quickly, if successful.
>>
>>52533690
> doubt it was intend
> when the developer is the one who state that is how it work
> he even answer that Evoker's empowered evocation apply +INT mod to every missile
>>
Instead of being unable to marry people who are unwilling, it should be a WIS save for unwilling people to resist. That way you can walk around randomly marrying the weak-willed villagers to the nearest living thing until the police show up to stop you.
>>
>>52534488
>Only adults
>Benefits last for 24h
What did they mean by this?
>>
>>52534518
>they think it was intended for a spell to be able to do more damage on average than a god has health
>>
Unearthly Chorus
did anyone else thing this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz-KwtKRBUY
>>
>>52534488
Given that it is still an experimental spell, I am willing to rewrite it as "only once a year" to celebrate the same union as their Anniversary. And maybe add +1 AC per successful rituals (capping at +5 total AC for any year after) while keeping the 24 hour duration, even if most campaigns don't really last that long, usually. I could also write for polygamy, and have it be permanently +1 if one of the humanoids on the pair is part of another union, as overseen by the Cleric's current deity.
>>
>>52530137
starter pack isn't worth the money, get the player's handbook and some dice instead and join a group

don't play with people you know until you know the rules
>>
File: Ratzinger.jpg (57KB, 394x477px) Image search: [Google]
Ratzinger.jpg
57KB, 394x477px
>>52534595
What if your first wife dies heroically/nobly/in service to the Gods?

Or if a year later, you find out she's really a Succubus and you get divorced?
>>
>>52533783
This.
I preordered the special edition of Volo's from my FLGS but I still downloaded it because I run my game from my laptop so I don't have to carry all the books around.
>>
>>52534331
Monks are far from broken. They have a very solid core setup, which can be enhanced very well.

They also have a lot of great utility in both social and stealth situations, so they really are well rounded for a lot of purposes. Their primary issue is being MAD, but wisdom is nice, not mandatory, to max, and between high base AC and bonus action dodge, negating half damage on successful saves, and getting prof in all saves, they don't NEED a good Con score to survive in the front.
>>
>>52534495
>Dwarven Life Cleric

Not human grill life cleric?

You have failed.
>>
>>52534487
Enlarged Paladin with a greatsword/maul, probably.
>>
>>52534626
I agree
>>
Why did they make virtue so terrible?

Temporary HPs that only last a single round which means that it's 100% a healbot trap spell
>>
How does Chaos Bolt interact with the surge effect which maximizes the damage of the next spell you cast?
You automatically deal thunder damage?

Does it affect all bounces? If so, could it guarantee unlimited bounces until every enemy in range is targeted?
>>
>>52534341
Human Fighter
Halfling Rogue
Elf Wizard
Dwarf Cleric

These four are pretty obvious, so I think Half-Elf Bard is probably the most sensible addition.
>>
>>52534488
>Thinking Catholics don't have sanctioned divorces
Somebody doesn't know their Catholicism
>>
>>52534032
You should also add
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/06/28/scorching-ray-dd-errata/

And

https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/557820938402947072

To your argument too.

I like how this neckbeard think they know RAW more than the guy who wrote them...
>>
>>52534620

>Divorce

Marriage is final, there are no annulments or divorces.

Although arguably it would make sense that each divinity has their own variation of the marriage ceremony spell so if you are married by a priest of Lathander presumably you could get married by a priestess of Chaunteau if you change religion later on.
>>
>>52534657
Surge?
>>
>>52534657
I'd rule that you'd roll the dice just to see what type of damage it deals and if it bounces, but treat the damage dealt as if you had rolled maximum regardless.
>>
>>52534663
>>52534495

>Dorf Clerics instead of Human Female White mage Clerics

Sure smells like powergamers in here
>>
>>52534620
In the former, I guess casting funeral rites on the heroic spouse could have an interesting added effect. I'll let a creative one of you think something up.

While in the case of the latter, if you married a Succubus or anything else, according to the rules of the ritual, they will still have the AC bonus for the entire duration of that day as long as they are near you. You better hope you have help for that encounter. May the gods have mercy on your soul.

As for Divorce, that should really be a Ceremony addition, could help reset who they marry next, if said Deity only cares for Monogamy. Really, some of the rituals on the Ceremony Spell should have an added condition based on the Cleric's Deity. Right now, the spell is too global in function.
>>
>>52534664
No, I'm well aware of the Catholic tenets on marriage, and that Liberal Pope is trying to shake it up further.
I just thought it an awfully Abrahamic thing to add to a game where you can worship Huitzilopochtli, Duke Arioch of Choas or Bahgtru.
>>
>>52534682
>Marriage is final, there are no annulments or divorces.
See
>>52534664

You can literally email the Vatican asking for a divorce, you've just gotta provide a valid reason and some evidence.
>>
>>52534718
You just noticed the stench?
>>
Alright I'm pissed.

>plan session week out
>cancels hour before it starts
>next day, different person cancels
>repeat until wed
>murderhobos

That's it then.

I'm gonna have a deathsquad of paladins subdue them and hunt them mid campaign for their crimes. They either go to prison or go to the tomb of horrors to atone.

Thinking of putting exalted deeds at the end, acerack stole it years ago and sealed it with his treasure.
>>
>>52534718
I'm biased because the 3.5e starter set that I started with had a dwarf cleric who I always played, and going forward a solid quarter or so of my characters were variations on that
>>
Toll the Dead vs Eldritch Blast (no invocations), 14 Charisma:

Toll the Dead:
>60 feet
>Average damage for first two levels: 4/6, 8/12
>1 saving throw to beat DC13

Eldritch Blast:
>120 feet
>Average damage for first two levels: 5, 10
>2 attack rolls, +5 to hit, average roll with modifier: 15

Considering Wisdom is a pretty prominently high saving throw and Eldritch Blast has invocations to improve it further, what's the purpose of giving Toll the Dead to Warlocks? It's a less reliable spell for up to 2 more damage that's easily closed by invocations.
>>
>>52534728
Is there a spell that would allow my Elf Wizard to reach the Vatican?
>>
>>52534764
For people who want to be edgey
>>
>>52534765
Contact Other Plane?
>>
>>52534764
Sometimes its good to have options.
>>
>>52534728

Not talking about modern Catholicism I'm talking about the spell in relation to the default FR setting which for some reason seems to think polygamy is totes not a thing in various religions.

Hell in FR it's pretty clear that you could probably marry any number of creatures other than other humanoids.

Can't even marry your Dryad or Succubus Waifu because they aren't technically humanoid.

>All Half-Dragons are by default bastards because Dragons can't marry humans.
>>
>>52534723
>I just thought it an awfully Abrahamic thing to add to a game where you can worship Huitzilopochtli, Duke Arioch of Choas or Bahgtru.

I miss when D&D moral foundation was built on fundamental Christianity, now its just different shades of bullshit grey.
>>
>>52534764
flavour
warlock players want edgy stuff even if it isn't good, look how many people play blade pact (even before the warlock UA)
>>
File: 1490493064719.jpg (14KB, 319x299px) Image search: [Google]
1490493064719.jpg
14KB, 319x299px
>>52534338
Thank you very much, anon. I will take your ideas to mind when working on this. Two out of the four players are known for metagaming pretty hard, so I don't think I can trust them. I really like that idea about making them act evil instead of myself, but they may complain about having their character being taken away from them.
>>
>>52534701
Wild Magic Surge
>>
>>52534593
DON'T
MULTICLASS
UNEARTHED ARCANA

They have made this Crystal clear, so no, it is not intended, and are in fact, impossible, if you follow the guideline that you should NEVER allow US multiclassing.
>>
>>52534764
Those averages seem off
>>
TFW the game store owner decides to join in on the TYP game and gets strait up killed by a trap critical.
>>
>>52534787
>>52534782
But it's not even that edgy. It's just a bell that sounds around them. WoooOOooo death is calling, whoop de shit.

I was really enthusiastic when I first read these spells, but the more I read, the less useful they look compared to what we have already.

>>52534798
Bladelock still has value if you're multiclassing, though. It's an effective way for Rogues to get Extra Attack as well as the effective benefits of Arcane Trickster, for example.
>>
File: ZA WARUDO.gif (5MB, 480x267px) Image search: [Google]
ZA WARUDO.gif
5MB, 480x267px
How exactly does the Time Stop spell work?

To an observer, does it look similar to haste, or does it just look like suddenly the effects of whatever you did during the time stop occurred simultaneously?
>>
>>52534790
The Marriage spell is literally just a magical contract made between parties similar to how a Geas works in old Shadowrun.

This is D and fucking D, weird shit like chanting, rituals and prayers have actual effects on the world.

Calm your fedora down and yes its poorly named probably got copyright reasons.
>>
If I'm a Wizard looking through the eyes of a familiar within 30ft of me, can I cast Misty Step to teleport to a location I can see through it's vision?

(Say, through a door/wall I'm on the other side of, etc)
>>
>>52534764
High AC, low wis targets. Honestly no you shouldn't take it as a Warlock especially when compared to agonizing blasts but its flavour is still fairly in line with warlocks so it makes sense for them to be able to take it even if they shouldn't take it..
>>
>>52534814
Shit, should be 4.5/6.5, 9/13 and so on, right? I don't do this often, I was just thinking about the spell.
>>
File: grinds my gears.png (654KB, 1220x924px) Image search: [Google]
grinds my gears.png
654KB, 1220x924px
You know what really grinds my gears?
That the Enchantment school of magic has so few spells that they don't even have a single spell for 3rd level, and yet they made Fear a goddamn Illusion. Illusionists have spells with an almost infinite amount of utility. One damn illusion spell can be used for an almost unlimited number of different ploys.

And now they add another Fear spell, and make it Necromancy.
Necromancy!
>>
>>52534859
No idea.

I guess if you can then you'd be able to do the same thing with stuff like a ring of x-ray vision.

Makes you wonder if blind creatures with special sight modes can use stuff that you need to see your target for.
>>
>>52534718
I've had a dwarf cleric in literally every game of D&D I've played in or DMed. I've yet to see a human cleric PC, but I don't doubt they're common. I play with people that are very into RP and not very into min/maxing
>>
>>52534859
Yes.

But you shouldn't, Wizards abusing the crazy shit you can do with familiars is really annoying for DM's.
>>
>>52534813
There is 2 separate thing in this conversation.

Magic missile is intend to work that way. Which some people don't agree.

UA isn't intend to be multiclass. Which everyone agree.
>>
>>52534764

Sometimes indirect spells make sense because you only have to see someone to target them for toll the dead.

In contrast Eldritch Blast requires LoS but can be blocked by things like Wall of Force.

So yeah get ready for BBEGs to raise up stuff like wall of force and then spam indirect damage spells through the force field.
>>
>>52534846
Depends entirely how the GM fluffs it. In my campaign I would go with simultaneously. Also I would like one of my villains to one day go full Dio and stop time, pick up a party member and carry them to the bottom of some stairs just to show off.
>>
>>52534875
Say so in the survey if it bothers you that much, or homebrew it to be an Illusion instead. It really just depends on the fluff, seems like.
>>
>>52534846

People don't typically play to the levels that 9th level spells show up at so it's kind of a mystery
>>
>>52534897
I use my owl familiar and shocking grasp like a pokemon... it was fun...
>>
>>52534902
>Magic missile is intend to work that way. Which some people don't agree.
That's because they are retarded. It is very clearly how it is intended to work.

However, it is especially retarded because there is no point in arguing (Read: Running with the goalpost) about whether it works, or even if it is intended, when you should drop straight down to DON'T FUCKING MULTICLASS UA.

Half the shit /tg/ claims is overpowered is UA multiclass, which immediately invalidates the build to begin with.
>>
>>52534938
>get to 9th level
>Wonder what the sorcerer is going to take
>Wish? Time Stop? Gate?
>Takes power word kill
>>
>>52534955
I always found that to be really cool in concept but super inefficient since it's burning your (and your familiars) Reactions.
>>
>My players start PvPing because evil vs good
>shadow monk vs open hand monk
>After 17 turns the open hamd monks non-lethally takes out the shadow monk
>kept teleporting around
>throwing a knife at each other that starts bouncing back and forth between them
This is the most Dragon ball, animu shit I have ever fucking seen in any of my games, holy fucking shit.
>>
File: Untitled.png (80KB, 210x187px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
80KB, 210x187px
>>52534932
My point is that Fear should never have been an Illusion in the first place.
It strikes terror into a target, it doesn't create a spectral image of a "horrible whatever" that everyone around you can see.
It's an Enchantment.
Making a version that's Necromancy (???), just to throw a bone to all the Edgelords, is just salt in the wound.
>>
>>52534897
But how else am I supposed to punish and make useless our Fighter/Rogue for playing CN as 'Chaotic Ran-dumb'
>>
>>52534964
You and I have a very different idea of what very clear means.
>A dart deals 1d4 + 1 force damage to its target.
That can easily be interpreted to mean you should roll for each dart. Sure once you know the standards of how spells work you think you should treat it like an AOE despite not really acting like one but to a player who looks through their spells for the first time and comes across one of the earliest damage spells they get it is quite easy to read it as each dart does 1d4+1.
>>
>>52534991
Disgusting.
How is power word kill even 9th level?
>>
anyone here play sorcerer?
im lv 6 and thinking of MCing out, what do?
>>
>>52535059
>Necromancy (???)
What if it causes fear by awakening the sense of mortality in enemies?
>>
>>52535075
Now this guy wants to get rid of Enchantment's only 9th level spell, too!
>>
>>52535091
If you want to break the game, go warlock and become a laser light show with eldritch blast.
>>
>>52535099
Still an enchantment. It would be necromancy if it caused you a sense of mortality by giving you leg neuropathy of impending diabeetus.
>>
>>52535075
I'm taking power word Kill because there's a Druid player that's been ruining our campaign and that I want to fucking die
>>
>>52535114
>break the game
No warlock/sorcerer multiclass is going to 'break the game'
>>
>>52535136
How are they ruining it?
>>
>>52535136
You both sound like That Guy. Storytime so I can laugh at both of you.
>>
>>52535145
By being GHEY
>>
>>52534846
Depends on the DM. I'd rule it like Za Warudo though.
>>
>>52535154
Calm down there pence. Have you tried shocking grasp yet
>>
>>52535114
but is eldrict worth giving up on sorcerer?
how would this break the game?
>>
>>52535059
>It strikes terror into a target, it doesn't create a spectral image of a "horrible whatever" that everyone around you can see.
"You project a phantasmal image of a creature’s worst fears. Each creature in a 30-foot cone must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or drop whatever it is holding and become frightened for the duration. "
>>52534928
>Also I would like one of my villains to one day go full Dio and stop time, pick up a party member and carry them to the bottom of some stairs just to show off.
Technically time stop ends as soon as you interact with another creature.
>>
>>52535234
You are a sorcerer, you will never break the game.
>>
>>52535234
Is this your very first time in a 5e thread anywhere?
Let's not turn the thread into "babby's first munchkin", please?
>>
>>52535234
Only go 3 levels into warlock. You'll get +cha damage to every ray from EB, which you can metamagic and cast twice per round. You can consume warlock spell slots for sorcery points every short rest(pact magic), so you'll always have extra sorcery points.
>>
>>52535246
i was doing the math and using higher lv sorching rays is fucking crazy damage.
not game breaking, but whats the point of continuing Sorcerer?
I was kinda thinking of a warlock MC, but I DON'T wana use eldrict blast.
>>
>>52535241
Well that's what I get for not bothering to read spells I am unlikely to ever get to cast even as GM I guess.
>>
>>52535258
nah, but why do people think that just casting EB is worth being the bees knees
are muchkins really that power hunger where
cantrip > every other kind of spell and are ok with doing the same thing forever?
>>
Should I be handing out pocket change and random loot from encounters in Curse of Strahd? It seems like there's tons of easily accessible money, items, and loot available just from plundering the major locations in the module. Would it be overkill if I was supplementing that with extra junk?
>>
>>52530086
Check out Volo's Guide to Monsters and Tales from the Yawning Portal. Lots of good oceanic monsters in them both.
>>
>>52535382

Warlock is basically an arcane archer with a handful of other invocations for utility and shenanigans.

It's about spamming EB almost every round. You don't typically hear Archer Battlemasters or Archer Rangers whine and bitch about having to shoot arrows most of their attacks do you?
>>
>>52535417
Money doesn't make a huge difference in 5e, especially in Ravenloft where there's hardly anywhere to shop. Add as much as you want. Magic items shouldn't be added, as published adventures are generous enough with those.
>>
>>52531584
Holy shit I didn't think other people had played that game.
>>
Can anyone help me understand a part of TYP?

The sliding block trap in one of the false entrances. It moves 6 inches per initiative count and completely blocks off the corridor at 0.

That means that players roll initiative and must run past the wall?

Doesn't sound too deadly.
>>
Alright /5eg/ I want to have a Swashbuckler Gunslinger, do I need to have the Dual wielder feat to use a Rapier + Pepperbox/Pistol at the same time? Or is crossbow expert enough?
>>
Lissandri-sama...
>>
>>52535572

>too deadly

>tomb of horrors

Anon are you feeing well?
>>
>>52535637
So of I understand that.

Anyone who rolls higher than a 0 can run out of the trap?
>>
File: 1485125344898.jpg (870KB, 1500x1588px) Image search: [Google]
1485125344898.jpg
870KB, 1500x1588px
>>52534782
>>52534844
>>52534764
>You point at one creature you can see within range, and the sound of a dolorous bell fills the air around it for a moment. The target must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or take 1d8 necrotic damage. If the target is missing any of its hit points, it instead takes 1d12 necrotic damage.

Has there ever been a gayer spell? Cutting Words?
>>
>>52535572
The hallway is relatively long, and if your initiative is low you might not make it in time.
>>
>>52535616
LAME
>>
>>52535069
My issue is not people misunderstanding it at first glance. My issue is people being given all the facts, including the actual rule writers opinion on how it is intended to work, and STILL acting like a fucking 6 year old with a "NUH UH" attitude.
>>
>>52535616
Crossbow expert only effects, unsurprisingly, crossbows.
>>
>>52535682
But anon cutting words isn't a spell.
>>
>>52535714
It still requires acceptance that you treat it as an AOE despite nothing it does flavour wise is particularly AOE like.
>>
>>52535717
So dual wielder will make it work. Crossbow Expert is for melee gunslinging.
>>
>>52535677
If they run out than they get caught by the next trap, Preferably the sphere of annihilation
>>
>>52535091
Go Sorcerer Warlock.

Spend 16 hours resting and converting spell slots from pact magic into new spell slots.
>>
>>52535616
>>52535746
But anon... TWF doesn't work with ranged weapon.

Dual wielder first benefit only trigger when you hold melee weapon in both hand.
>>
>>52535749

I'm fucking baffled that such an obvious trap that's so difficult to trick people with has such an infamous reputation, while the instant death pit traps that suck you in if you search for traps don't.
>>
>>52535800
Because it's hilarious.
>>
>>52533991
>implying magic beats true love
>>
>>52534488
As it should be.

But seriously Ceremony is a great ritual for role playing purposes.

Also great option to prevent necromancers raising the dead.
>>
is there a Detect Nigger spell
>>
>>52535788
I see.
>>
>>52535904

You need to go back to /pol/
>>
>>52534495
Aasimar Paladin is the only one you got right.

>Wood elf Ranger
>Half-orc Barbarian
>Dwarven artificer or fighter
>Dead goblin

High elf Wizard
Drow Rogue or Warlock
Half-elf Sorcerrer or Bard
Gnome artificer or Wizard
Halfling Rogue
Human male fighter
>>
>>52535918
What's /pol/
>>
>>52534991
>Timestop
You dodged a bullet timestop is the worst shit in existence

>>52534846
It's a piece of shit don't bother with it in 5e
>>
>>52535904
No but there is detect traps
>>
>>52535926
Where you belong.
>>
>>52535924
Half Orc Assassins > Barbarians, sorry.

Though "both" is a legitimate answer
>>
>>52535939
Nigger Spotted
>>
>>52535926
/pol/ is the 4chan politics board. Even though its a pretty even mix of ideologies, people seem to equate it to white supremacy.
>>
>>52535959
>>52535926

I guess summer came early this year
>>
>>52535989
It's really no different from any other board, but no, because one bad apple neo-nazi ruined the whole board
>>
>>52535989
what's an ideology
>>
>>52535989
>even mix of ideologies
So are you just memeing or are you actually fucking retarded?
>>
File: IMG_0848.jpg (24KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0848.jpg
24KB, 600x600px
>>52536009
>>
New thread >>52536030
>>
>>52536028
what's bait
>>
>>52534657
The spell simply says that if you get dubs you make a new attak with it against a target within 30ft of the original target.

As long as you don't hit the same target that's a shit ton of damage potential depending on Kek-s blessings.
>>
>>52536019

>So are you just memeing or are you actually fucking retarded?

Yup, that's what political discourse on pol is exactly like.

>wow, there's libertarians, centrists (???), righties, far righties, far lefties and silly gooses on this board
>clearly its NAZILAND
>>
>>52536060
Yeah you're right, there's obviously only as many nazis and white supremacists on that board as anywhere else in the world, my bad.

Also they totally are extremely far right-leaning generally nope.
>>
>>52535049
Sounds more like ping pong to me.
>>
>>52536039
>>
>>52536090
Boards tend to be stereotyped by their most infamous elements, what a surprise.
>>
>>52535728

>>52535682
I meant Viscious Mockery.
>HAHA EPIC I KNOW ALL THESE OTHER PEOPLE ARE USING STEEL WEAPONS AND DESTRUCTIVE MAGIC BUT I JUST SAID WORDS AND THE MONSTER LITERALLY DIED LOL!!! EPIC BARD!!!!
>>
>>52536142
When it becomes 80% of your threads it goes beyond stereotype.

Also it's extremely ironic to here a /pol/fag complaining about being stereotyped.
>>
>>52536164
*hear
>>
>>52532324
>>52532364
>>52532535
Making monsters is super easy. First, find one in the MM that is about equivalent to what you want to use. Swap the stats around if necessary to get the feel you want (swap a high str for dex, etc). Make note of any resistances or immunities, and give it the weapon or spell you want, and you're done.
Then if you're like me and let your players roll for stats, double the hit points and add 2 ac.
>>
>>52536164
>Implying 80% of the threads aren't anything more than shitposting

What happened to #notall(insert word here)? Does it only work when it's for a feel good idea instead of being applied to all ideas?
>>
>>52531040
>The suggestion must be worded in such a manner as to make the course of action sound reasonable.
How do you make "throw sword out window" sound reasonable?
>>
On 5etools, there are spells like PW Kill and Irresistible Dance that are out of the Arcane Trickster's spellcasting range but still listed as a class spell. Oversight or is there a way for them to cast the spell I don't see?
>>
>>52536151
Vicious Mockery is more to me about the disadvantage on attack rolls. The damage is a bonus.
>>
>>52536198
You have a bad eye for when shitposting is just shitposting and when shitposting is actually completely serious but with a layer of irony as a cover for how retarded your opinions are.

Also what does some hashtag have to do with anything?
>>
>>52535690
How do I measure time to see if they make it?

Divide the movement by 6 and if it's under they are SOL?
>>
>>52536273
>Completely serious
>Most threads are the same shit regurgitated over and over

Argue any person and you'll find that 80% of the replies are just the same memes and bullshit that's always posted. Most people don't even know what they are actually posting about or advocating and are just posting what they've seen to feel included. If that isn't shitposting then I don't know what is.

The hastag is a joke of how people are willing to say not all then immediately categorize every person they don't like as being x. When you demand your opponent not be biased about groups, then are completely biased about groups it makes your message ring hollow.
>>
>>52535904
Yeah it's called rolling perception for smell
>>
>>52536526
I know why people post the hashtag you dolt, the point is that you threw it out assuming something about my beliefs you would have no way of knowing.
>>
>>52536208

>There's a villager outside about to get mauled by a bear! Quick, throw her your sword!
>>
>>52536567
>pic
well it's good porn, but I'd rather keep it firmly away from my tabletops.
>>
>>52536591
>Gets stereotyped after having just stereotyped people

Man it's almost like a point is being made here, hopefully you pick up on it.
>>
>>52536343
The hall is 40 feet from deepest point to past the trap. At initiative count 6, there will be 2.5 feet of open space, the 'squeezing' distance at which you have to treat it as difficult terrain. Everyone has at least 50 move if they double move. Roll above a 6, and as long as you double-move, you're fine, below a 6, if you try it, you'll get squished. Only way out after that is misty step or other teleportation requiring sight if you're between init 1 and 6, and teleportation not requiring sight if you're 1 or below or dumb enough to not leave in time.
Thread posts: 429
Thread images: 39

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.