[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm intrigued by the idea of playing a superhero based rpg,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: grr5001e_450.jpg (107KB, 450x667px) Image search: [Google]
grr5001e_450.jpg
107KB, 450x667px
I'm intrigued by the idea of playing a superhero based rpg, but most people here seem more interested in standard fantasy
I took a look at the Heroes system and Champions and they seemed ok if a little complex, I've heard that the DC book is one of the best though. What do you guys think?

Also general Superhero /tg/ I guess
>>
>>52526055
Marvel Heroic is good.
>>
>>52526055
It's great but an easy to abuse system if the players want to and you let them get away with it.

Don't play with powergamers.
>>
>>52526105

Marvel Heroic *is* good.
>>
Hero System/Champions is a bit complex, but it is, in most editions at least, a well organized complexity. The unwritten rule of character generation ("Show your fucking work!") is ignored at your peril. Follow the order of operations for costing, don't stack autofire and explosion, and pay attention to the other warnings about stupid power tricks, and you'll be fine.
>>
>>52526055
DC Adventures is, AFAIK, for M&M 3e, not Champions.
>>
>>52526608
ah, I see, would you say M&M is better? Or easier?
>>
>>52527218
Not him, but I find M&M far better than Champions. It is certainly easier for people familiar with D&D 3.5 /d20
A lot of Champions is based on selling a solid concept to the referee, once that happens your costs for Powers drops dramatically.
It is also lots more complicated.
Herolab does M&M, that is really helpful as well.
>>
>>52526055
Long time Champions player here.

Ride shotgun on all character creation. From concept to execution. It will help avoid concepts that don't really fit or having a team that is Hulk, Thor, Iron Man and Angel (he can fly and is rich, that's it).

There's a line in Power Limitations, right near the beginning of the section that says "if it doesn't limit the power, its not worth anything" (or something to that effect). Live by that ruling. Be a dick if you have to. Some combos are valid, some are not.

Only in Hero ID is one of them. Sounds easy, right? Character can't use the power unless they transform?

How do you keep that from happening as a GM? Think about how many points that saves the player. Can you balance that out by keeping them from transforming often enough?

I've done it with in-universe consequences and genre conventions, but it can become a pile of bullshit quickly.

Its a great system. Lets you really define a character. The community is there to help anytime. Most players are old guys who just want the game to carry on. They're happy to help newbies.

Be warned. Reading the rules is like eating a loaf of dry white toast, but the books are designed as reference material, not just rulebooks.
>>
>>52526055
I only played M&M 3e... but I had a blast with it. 8/10 would recommend
>>
File: 131765.jpg (77KB, 473x729px) Image search: [Google]
131765.jpg
77KB, 473x729px
I was actually just coming here to ask about this system.

Anyone tried it? It's only $15 right now on DriveThru so it's not exactly much of a gamble to see for myself, but I wanted to ask around. Reviews seem pretty good, but I can't find an answer to one important question.

How is combat resolved? Do players get to roll to attack the bad guys? One review I read said players roll to avoid attacks from enemies, which I'm ok with, but I'm not a fan of systems where all attacks are resolved on the defender's side.
>>
>>52526055
DC Adventures is pretty good. Also look up the rest of Mutants and Masterminds 3e - DCA is basically just a setting-oriented version of the same rules, so all those advisory books of how to make OC powers are universally helpful.

That said, >>52526400 yes there are some ways to abuse mechanics and some unnoticed traps of "useless waste of points" variety (Penetrating on high-level Damage effects for example)

But if you want medium-crunchy supers game, it is a good pick. If you want lighter touch, you may like Marvel Heroic better.
>>
>>52529487
>How is combat resolved? Do players get to roll to attack the bad guys?
Uh, yes?

I think its one of those "oh its only players who rolls" principle things, but I'm not sure, I've only skimmed the PDFs after how ballshit retarded chargen was in the first release of it.

I may still have it laying around somewhere on my PC, I'll look up when I get home.
>>
>>52529487
>>52532756
Orrr a quick skim of 4plebs digs up a MF link
http://www.mediafire.com/download/n7dqx3gev43rrq3/ICONS_Assembled_Edition.pdf
>>
>>52529021
>Ride shotgun on all character creation.
Universal rule of superhero games, really.

If not all games.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.