[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do board games seem to have more creativity and variety than

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: 1489867027505.png (947B, 416x454px) Image search: [Google]
1489867027505.png
947B, 416x454px
Why do board games seem to have more creativity and variety than videogames?

Is because they're the manga version of the game industry?
>>
>>52510022

Do you mean tabletop games?

Tabletop games are the equivalent of that spongebob episode with the cardboard box. You literally just imagine whatever the fuck you want, explain it in a halfway decent manner, and so it shall be. Video game developers have to make all the art assets and spend millions of dollars doing so, involving momentous talent.
>>
Vidya you input into a black box program which does some stuff then presents you with various output.

Boardgames you do the input, processing and output all yourself; both the mental calculations (with associated creative narratives you may come up with) and the actual moving stuff around physically.

So I suppose it's because you become more involved with boardgames and engaged whereas you just sit back and let videogames do their thing.

Of course this requires much more effort and investment in the player's part.
>>
>>52510085
wouldn't be a computer game a perfect superior place for a board game?
>>
>>52510047
I love this nigga.
>>
>>52510110
The whole point is boardgamers LIKE doing all the stuff themselves. So boardgame designers strive to make mechanics that are fun to think through.

Videogames hide it all away so you can better concentrate on the other things going on. Graphics, time critical input/output sequences, etc.

Boardgames have mechanics for the mechanics own sake, videogame mechancis are to improve a more media-oriented experience. Or a simulation that requires more computations than a human can do and still have fun. Or otherwise take advantage of the fact the game is on a computer and not in a human brain.
>>
>>52510170
yeah, but it seems a computer to be a perfect place to develop more complex board games.

is there a market for such videogames?
>>
>>52510185
Well, I know Mario Party had more than half a dozen games, so I expect so.
>>
>>52510022
>Why do board games seem to have more creativity and variety than videogames?
You mean what?
>>
>>52510460
http://keithburgun.net/the-clockwork-game-design-podcast-episode-5-the-limitations-of-boardgames/
>>
>>52510022
>Why do board games seem to have more creativity and variety than videogames?
Excuse me, but you are wrong.
>>
>>52510710
https://boardgamegeek.com/browse/boardgame
>>
>>52510727
>boardgamegeek
Not a source.
>>
>>52510710
>Why do boardgames seem to have more creativity
>seem
Why would there be a source? We're clearly talking opinion here. If anything you should be giving a source to show him why his opinion is wrong.
>>
>>52510282
Though to be honest: the boardgame part was always the worst thing about Mario Party IMO
>>
>>52510185
Grand strategy games are pretty much just digital boardgames with far more mechanics than you could reasonably have in an actual board game, go check out EU4 if you haven't heard of it before.
>>
>>52510022
I'll try to sum up the ideas behind these statements for you other anons.

Argument 1: Computational Power vs. Creativity
>cue long discussion about the advantages and disadvantages
>skip to conclusion
There is more freedom in a tabletop/board game, due to creativity, but less simulation, due to lack of computational power.

Argument 2: Fun Rules vs. Neccessary Rules
>blablabla
A video game requires an extreme amount of rules to function, and can have such amounts easily, while a boardgame/tabletop game requires almost none, and can never have too many. This means video games can make much more complex and reliable mechanics, but doing any of those in a board/tabletop game would be extremely boring calculations. So a boardgame/tabletop game needs those few rules it can afford to have to be fun and give emergent behaviour that results in human interactions being fun.

Argument 3: Most video games are garbage
>>
because they are a lot cheaper and easier to design
>>
>>52512000
>Argument 3: Most modern video games are garbage
FTFY; even then, there's probably an equal number of shitty tabletop games floating around that you just don't hear about.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.