[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do any of you guys here find yourself an unintentional That Guy?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: 1491145691971.png (38KB, 475x347px) Image search: [Google]
1491145691971.png
38KB, 475x347px
Do any of you guys here find yourself an unintentional That Guy?

Like, I don't WANT to sabotage campaigns, but every time a massive derailing happens, it always ends up being in some way mostly my fault. I wouldn't even say it's autism either, as I consider myself pretty "normie". That said, it's just that my brain completely jumps the gun in the heat of the moment, only for me to realize instantly afterwards what I have done.

The real tragedy is that I'm the only person in my party that really, truly appreciates plot and RP in the first place.

It's a depressing curse.
>>
>>52504154
No. Sounds like you are projecting, OP. Typical That Guy. In fact, I am a perfect human being, I am always This Guy in every situation.
>>
>>52504154
When I was in high school I somehow found myself in a group of 30+yo people. I was totally That Guy, and didn't know any better. I made so many mistakes. However, I learned from it. Just take note of what makes you That Guy and modify your behavior accordingly. Stop lolsorandumb characters. Stop doing whatever kind of shenanigans you do to derail the campaign. Even if you can't stop, at least take note and learn from it for the future.
>>
I mean sometimes, but I keep myself from submitting to those urges.
Like recently I played in a game where everyone but me forgot about a certain rule that would have gotten two characters killed. So instead of being a That Guy and rules lawyer two player characters to the grave I just not mention it and complain about it on 4chan afterwards.
>>
Try to remain calm and stall for time by asking for clarifications about specific things from the DM.
I once attacked an honour guard for poisoning the princess, only to notice that he was also poisoned and to slow on his feet to even attempt to dodge.
Try explaining to a king why his honour guard is cleaved in two in dining hall, as you might imagine that did not go over well.
>>
>>52504154
I was playing a Spider who was a hostage to the Lion Clan, in a mostly Lion Party. Our party was an Akodo who managed to atend the Kakita Bushi School, a Matsu who took the Akodo Tactician School (and was played by a collosal fool) and a Matsu Beastmaster. Couple other guys, two who dropped and one who just decided they didn't like their shugenja and rerolled as a Mirumoto Swordmaster. The Akodo duelist and the Swordmaster were both glass cannons, with the swordmaster being able to blow his wad a bit faster in skirmish.

Dark Paragon of Perfection, and I was tainted, but since you only register as tainted once you hit one full rank no one knew. And since my char had been raised by the Lion I fully intended to play up his heritage and schooling conflicting with a desire to be a normal (read: Honorable) Samurai.

I ended up in some tight spots, and used my taint and my Dark Paragon to get out of them, so I ended up gaining powers slowly but surely. Of course the first one the GM gave me was the one where my taint stays inside my body; he wanted to see where this was going, and I had shelled out for Great Destiny. Then he gave me the one that lets me use my taint to enhance mental rolls as well as physical ones, to tempt me further.

Wasn't about to retire to a monastary to avoid the spread of my taint, no point in life if you're not doing anything, and I was born tainted, so I couldn't justify seppuku. What dishonor would that cleanse? I was born this way. The Fortunes just played a cruel joke on me.

But my party metagamed the shit out of me. They came to the conclusion that I was going to stab them all in the back at some point, because I had the taint. Even though their chars didn't know, and I was still trying my damndest to be live as an honorable samurai.

So every time I got cut in a fight they were right there, demanding to make investigation rolls to spot my black blood, and I had to get MORE tainted to beat their rolls and hide it.
>>
>>52504480
It was kind of funny they were so freaked out, because our campaign was a kind of Last Samurai thing. We were set in post Coloinal Rokugan with the Colonies doing the Rebel to get the Emperor to agree with them thing from the Last Samurai.

GM even pulled a bloodline story where the Colonial Lion revealed that our Akodo Duelist was decended from a Former Lion Champion. They offered him the position of Champion for the Colonioal Lion and he jumped at it.

So that's how we ALL ended up rebelling against our former lord. We ended up seiging his city at one point, and he died fighting us.

My Spiders end came when I was reduced to out in a mass battle. Of course there was no hiding the truth at that point, and the NPC Yoritomo Shugenja I was trying to waifu tried to concince them I was still their loyal friend. Which was true.

But they decided to pick now of all times to be honorable, and knowing that execution is the only waiting for someone who hides the taint, my spider said, look, just let me take her and go. You'll never see us again. No one has to die today.

Instead the Matsu tactican swung his nodachi at me, the mirumoto blew all his void points killing my girlfriend. So I killed him. Rank three Diagotsu bushi with four taint and a butload of powers, The others brought me down, then bitched and whined that they couldn't kill my character for realsies because I had paid five char points for great destiny.
>>
>>52504154
I know what you're saying. I have had a lot of trouble when playing in some games that are just remarkably railroady, uncreative, and boring. I will start doing crazy stuff because I'm so fucking bored, amd it often backfires because it upsets everyone else. I dont have a solution for you, other than don't play in that game, i guess.
>>
>>52504606
>>52504480
That's not even close to you being That Guy. Openly meta-gaming? Fuck them for that.
>>
>>52504246
I had to do a double-take of this as it sounded actually believable on 4chan
>>
>>52505081
The samurai one would have made me quit on the spot
>>
>>52504480
>>52504606
>Playing Spider

Not only are you That Guy. You are part of the cancer that is killing L5R.
>>
>>52504154
I usually become That Guy when I get bored.

But then you said unintentionally, so no.
>>
>>52505892
Bullshit. The ccg dev teams horrible writing is the Cancer that ALREADY killed L5R. Everything post Iweko is shit. And much of the stuff leading up to the race for the throne was shit as well.
>>
>>52505892
>>52506416
Can someone explain this to someone who's out of the loop?
>>
>>52506789
Instead of having the Shadowlands horde faction, the ccg writers made the Spider Clan. lead by Daigotsu. With thier shit writting skills they killed of Naseru most of the clan champions and set a storyline event that would determine the next emperor. One with a divine mandate.

Then the gods got togother and threw a giant fucking temper tantrum. Threw out almost all the former mortals that became forturnes, including Yakamo and Hitomi. Then they made the Jade dragon the new sun and the shadow dragon became the obsidion dragon and it became the moon, and some dragon bitch got blue eyes of power and became a living god that completley failed to predict or do a damn thing to stop a giant plauge, followed by an invasion from the Burning sands by a enemy they inventively named the destroyer horde.
Apparently Kali exists the world Rokugan is a part of and she has the shadowlands taint, and Jigoku was so pissed at Fu Leng screwing up over and over it made HER the new goddess of evil. Oh, the spider became an offical clan, got declared evil, then got their status back when Daigotsu offered to do more than sit on his ass and order people to go and die. Which was all Iweko was good for. After the horde overan the Wall, by coming form the wrong side, and going through every Rokugani army like a a katana through a rice paper door, Iweko made Kuon commit seppuku but she "graciously allowed" him to die like a crab, so he stormed onto the wall and blew up. Literally. Giant Jade explosion.

That was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. haven't given a shit about the ccg or what those idiots write ever since.
>>
>>52504154

Easy fix: whenever you're about to do something impulsive/off the cuff turn and look the rest of your group in the eyes and say "this is what I want to do, are you OK with that OOC".

It'll be a pain but if you are truly That Guy it should disarm most situations.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.