[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How the fuck do I make a planet-corrupting villain threatening

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: dark matter dedede.jpg (259KB, 700x595px) Image search: [Google]
dark matter dedede.jpg
259KB, 700x595px
How the fuck do I make a planet-corrupting villain threatening without inducing an instant "game over" state?

Running a game of Mutants and Masterminds 3e, so this character's mechanically a Power Level X, at least for this point. She's so far gotten into the solo PC's mind and taken one of their already physically corrupted friends over, but in reality she could do WAY worse, at least in terms of her power.

I was thinking of having the villain simply wanting to make the solo PC suffer out of pure bitterness, but even then I'm afraid I'll either pull my punches too much for what's been established storywise or rob the character's ability to fight at all.
>>
>>52488162
You're gonna need to expand a little upon what's been previously established about the villain's abilities.

Otherwise, just watch the recent green lantern movie or copy the comics about galactus.
>>
>>52488162
>planet-corrupting villain threatening

I mean, if it's a PLANET-CORRUPTING villian, wouldn't it be better to drop the theatrics and instead adopt something a little more... Macro?

Like, imagine if
>CLIMATE CHANGE
Wasn't actually caused by us and it WAS some kind of pacific-rim level shit where the psychic consciousness of all the dinosaurs are pissed off because we've marginalized their existence/civilization by displaying their bones in museums and using their congealed essence as fuel for our entire civilization.

So they're slowly terraforming our planet back into dinosaur climate.

Sorry, what was the question?
>>
>>52488162
Make another planet job to it.
>>
>>52488200
Basically:

1. Open up rifts, and can even use them to teleport her victims to pieces a la Vanilla Ice.
2. Produces swarms of various spawn that are essentially extensions of her body, and corrupt others to be the same
3. General mystic/divine stuff received when she was a human inheriting the power of the gods.
4. Eventually ended up taking even more power via mystic/lifeforce drain and immunity specifically designed to thwart evil gods (but it didn't work out so well for the guy who had it).

Generally an eldritch horror type of threat but with an oddly personal and petty reasons to break the faith of the super optimist half-kaiju against her.
>>
>>52488242
The solo campaign was established from a previous one which several planets did fall under it, but the problem is that how do I not just send the PC's planet into the same scenario?

I normally would just do it, but this campaign is supposed to be a little less grimdark than the previous it's continuing from.

To be honest, there's a lot more to explain than I thought now that i think about it...
>>
>>52488446
What do they have that the other planets don't? Did the monster employ some specific strategem against the previous planets that she hasn't had a chance to do on the current one? Is this planet special to her for some reason?
>>
>>52490507
Since this is continuing from another game, the "hub world" of the previous game was under control in secret by the a super nullifying powered dude, but that dude didn't turn out to be so nice and ended leaving the current solo player for dead. Of course, one of their allies got the news out, but at the price of cutting off the protection he provided.

I think what I'm going to do is once the odds look really bad, reintroduce that character somehow to this character's world.
>>
>>52488392
>when she was a human inheriting the power of the gods.
>Generally an eldritch horror type of threat but with an oddly personal and petty reasons to break the faith of the super optimist half-kaiju against her.
A human transformed into an eldritch horror has always, in every narrative I've seen, had their former humanity, or issues from when they were human, be their weakness.

There was one villain that mastered time travel and became emperor of reality, but mostly just wanted to throw it all in his wife's face that he hadn't been wasting his time all these years afterall.

It's like how, in some versions, a vampire's aversion to the cross is pathological, not physical.

It's like how Lex Luthor is smarted enough to win and by all rights should have long ago, but he just can't get over himself, his pride, or his ego.

Like the man said, when you cross over to the dark side, you find only what you take with you.

So the first question is why is this entity being this personal.
It sounds like you might have reasons already, but they aren't a sensible use of their powers.
That alone is fine.
Agent Smith absorbed the entire Matrix and still chose to beat Neo with his bare hands because he felt like it.
When you have all the power, the little things become more important, not less.

Also, expecting an eldritch horror filtered through a human mind to behave sensibly is silly.
>>
>>52491912
>>52488446
>The solo campaign was established from a previous one which several planets did fall under it, but the problem is that how do I not just send the PC's planet into the same scenario?
>>52490507
>What do they have that the other planets don't?
This is the question you need to answer.
And it needs to come from the entity.
Why would they approach this world differently?

>>52491547
>I think what I'm going to do is once the odds look really bad, reintroduce that character somehow to this character's world
This is okay, but be careful.
An NPC that is the only one with power to slow or stop the ultimate evil power needs to be a tool, or a living McGuffin, not the Hero (even if he's a villain).
Or it can come across as the worst kind of DMPC.

The idea is that the guy doesn't stop the entity, the PCs stop it by using the guy.
Subtle difference that can be hard to enact.
>>
>>52491912
The idea I had was that, since the monster was a human, would be that she wants to have the solo PC, which reminds her of her old self, suffer just as she did in her time becoming transformed. So she's going after her friends and family little by little. She ultimately wants the PC alive either way.

>>52492005
I am planning on the Nullifier Pc in particular to end up being captured and turned into a weapon thanks to some helper NPCs getting around his nullifier using tech, but the PC would have to distract him.
>>
>>52493561
Nullifier NPC*
>>
>>52488162
Religion has a way of affecting the whole world at all times.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.