[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So my LGS is asking for GMs for Free RPG Day in June. Unfortunately,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: download.jpg (11KB, 231x218px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
11KB, 231x218px
So my LGS is asking for GMs for Free RPG Day in June. Unfortunately, I'm friends with the owner, and he's roping me in to help. I'm also told I'm not allowed to use "obscure" systems that I normally use...
So, with that in mind, what's more newbie friendly, D&D 4E or 5E? Pros and cons of both?
>>
>>52463681
Obligatory F.A.T.A.L. joke
>>
>>52463681
I'm under the impression that 5e has a much bigger following at this point, and it is the current edition, so that argues in favor of using it, rather than 4e. Also, 5e is more like other editions of D&D than 4e is.
>>
>>52463681
>you have to do it
>also no having fun

As someone who likes 4E more, 5E is probably more beginner-friendly. Though that can be mitigated with premade characters, which you should be using anyway.
>>
>>52463681
>I'm also told I'm not allowed to use "obscure" systems that I normally use...
why
>>
>>52463896
Yeah, pregen characters is mandatory for this as well.
What do you like better about 4E? I haven't played D&D since 3.0.

>>52463910
Something about not "beginner friendly" and trying to "invite people into the hobby".
>>
>>52463681
>>52463910
Yeah, I would have suggested MAID or something
>>
>>52463681
You could try Ryuutama. it's as beginner friendly as it gets. It also has the whole "hexcrawl" thing of classic D&D without too many fiddly parts of classic D&D.
Also more people should play Ryuutama and i'm unashamedly shilling.
>>
>>52463681
5E for sure.
>>
>>52463681
Savage Worlds. They even send out free rules pamphlet to stores (at least in my area in Germany).
Call of Cthulhu also always had a free lite rulebooklet (with pretty good quality).
Wizards probably also has a 5e intro adventure for that day. I know that Paizo did We be Goblins 1-3 for free rpg day.

Check back with the owner what stuff he gets and then use one of those systems
>>
File: DnDBasic.jpg (146KB, 600x777px) Image search: [Google]
DnDBasic.jpg
146KB, 600x777px
Moldvay Basic (or B/X) is probably the simplest legitimate edition of D&D, so it might be worth a look. It's comprised of two sets: Basic and Expert, each of which is only 64 pages long. The Basic set covers levels 1-3, so you don't need anything else to start out with. If you were to use it, I'd recommend starting folks off at level 3 as options are a bit limited at level 1* (magic-users only have 1 spell a day, and clerics have none), and characters are very squishy. Other than that, the only big concern I'd have is the thief skills, which are outrageously low in old school D&D. On this issue, people have argued that they should be effectively treated as saving throws when normal methods fail (verbal descriptions of searches can lead to results without dice ever being used, and you could give anybody doing something like searching for traps a 2 in 6 chance for success). Or you could just do what DMs have been doing for years, which is to give big bonuses for the various skills at low levels (maybe somewhere in the range of +30% to 50%), rationalizing it as easy locks, easy traps and not-very capable monsters.

Of course, Moldvay Basic is out of print, though many retroclones of it exist, including Labyrinth Lord, which hews pretty close to the original. But you could always use a digital copy or print shit out. Of course, it's probably going to be easier for newbies to find a crew running 5e henceforth, but the basics of the games are the same, and this would be a foot in the door of D&D, regardless.

Moldvay Basic does have some old school wonkishness (descending armor class, attribute checks are roll-under while to-hit and saving throws are roll-over, d6s are used to check for secret doors and surprise, etc.), but despite this, is actually much simpler than 5e overall. Also, it's a breeze to convert descending AC to ascending AC.

*I believe that 5e recommends starting people off at 3rd level as well, unless they're clueless noobs, but probably even then...
>>
>>52464246
Descending AC to Ascending AC conversion. Also, retroclones of Moldvay Basic such as Basic Fantasy uses Ascending AC (BF also splits class and race).

Ascending AC: add your attack bonus to your die roll and meet or beat your enemy's AC.

Descending AC: either consult the attack table, or use THAC0. When using THAC0 (your chance To Hit AC 0), simply subtract your enemy's AC from your THAC0 -- the resulting figure is the number you need to meet or beat on your d20 roll in order to hit.
>>
>>52464246
And here's a table combining thief skills and a universal 2-in-6 check into a single roll.
>>
>>52463681

Mouse Guard. One Book go.

Ryuutama, but your friend won't like it as he probably doesn't stock it

Fate, maybe. Dresden Files Fate.
>>
I absolutely love 4th edition but 5th edition is way easier to set up a character. I can make a 4th edition character in an hour, but I can make a 5th edition character in less than 15 minutes.
>>
>>52463681
Of the two, 5e's definitely the safer choice for interest to making sure you're able to engage people. It's certainly less intimidating for new players, and they wouldn't have to learn quite so much all at once. More foolproof.

That said, if you're expecting mostly people who have never played an RPG before I'd probably run Lasers & Feelings or something 'micro-lite' like that.
>>
>>52465768
>Lasers & Feelings or something 'micro-lite' like that
Everyone is John
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.