[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Could you have a class in an RPG, where most or all its super-de-duper

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: pokeymanz.png (83KB, 748x516px) Image search: [Google]
pokeymanz.png
83KB, 748x516px
Could you have a class in an RPG, where most or all its super-de-duper abilities require the player to spend HP to use, and not have it be morbid or angsty?

[If you hate class-based systems, assume the player bought a lot of powers that damage his or her PC as a side effect of their use, but the player is trying not to be an edgelord]
>>
>>52463646
I think a lot of it depends on how everything (both the abilities and HP) are flavored.

For example, a lot of the time HP is described less as wounds and more as exhaustion. It's very common in fantasy for the use of fancy techniques/big spells to physically exhaust the user.
>>
>>52463646
Why not? There's nothing saying that self-sacrifice has to be edgy, it just has to have a point. Anyone could use a self-harming ability with the right motivation, ranging from "I shed my blood so the innocent need not!" to "This is the only way I can help in this situation."
>>
I guess an Aztec priest devoted to Xipe Totec who self-flagellates to summon gnarled thorny vines to attack the enemy is too edgy, huh.

How about this: a literal hot-blooded hero.

He gets so into it his blood boils with supernatural power. This reduces his overall health but gives him great magical ability or raw physical strength.

Since this is very in line with a berserker character, you can throw in abilities that allow him to deal blows that are so strong they hurt him too, along with stuff that let him ignore certain penalties while blood boiling.

Maybe add something like Guts or Quick Feet, where he gets benefits when affected by status effects.
>>
>>52463860
jojo reference, etc.
>>
>>52463923
That seems to only be a problem if you hang out with faggots who like Jojo.
>>
>>52464010
Hey! I am a faggot and I like JoJo.
>>
>>52463646
Using HP to do cool shit has never been a fun mechanic.
>>
Shadowrun magic all uses HP to function. Even D&D has overcasting for some wizard variants in some versions. Lots of systems have some kind of exhaustion system from spell casting.
>>
>>52464645
It's generally okay if your character has some sort of HP drain mechanic, effectively giving you a renewable MP resource.
>>
Sounds like anti-fun burden of knowledge
>>
>>52463646
You'd have to split HP to distinguish between physical damage, mental damage/exhaustion and stun damage (very short-term physical damage).
>>
Cancermancer.

You cast spells that spread cancer, by channeling the energy from a tumor growing on your magic gland. The more you cast spells, the bigger the tumor gets.
>>
A blood oath paladin? He every time he uses his spells his God would magically get his blood as a form of payment or if you don't like that, you're gonna have him offer either at the start/end of the day his blood to his god while praying.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.