[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>All right, rogue, roll to climb this wall >Now you got

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: falling-04.jpg (45KB, 500x752px) Image search: [Google]
falling-04.jpg
45KB, 500x752px
>All right, rogue, roll to climb this wall
>Now you got to 1/3, roll agan
>Now you got to 2/3, roll aga-
>Oh, what a pity. Roll for falling damage.

Why is this allowed?

Why is "fly" spell allowed?
Yes, i mad
>>
>>52463554
It makes you decide whether or not scaling something of a certain height is reasonable or not.
Otherwise you could roll a D20 for a 1000 foot cliff, and it would be no more dangerous than scaling a 10 foot fence.
More climbing = more chances to fuck up
>>
Thank the heavens that rogues typically take less fall damage and suck it up like a man.
>>
I sent my DM the following link:

http://thealexandrian.net/wordpress/38313/roleplaying-games/the-art-of-rulings-part-8-let-it-ride

Response favorable. Awaiting results.
>>
>>52463616
From "game world" part of rules this does make sense, but it fucks up challenge rating something fierce.
Nobody made it to the top except for wizard and i'm pretty sure the seemingly-senile fuck palmed a bit more than his fair share of loot.

>>52463626
Thanks, once i'll get less salty, i'll send this to DM.
>>
>>52463616
Every roll potentiates the chance of failure, to the point where even a 90% success chance can get squashed into basically a coin flip. And then the consequences are usually much more dire (you're higher up the cliff when you fall, you're deeper inside the enemy camp when you're discovered etc.).

And in 5e, 90% is a success chance that you're almost never going to see except for expertise characters with focused stats.
>>
>>52463554
You don't have a climb speed equal to your move speed and don't have to make climb checks?
>>
>>52463554

Don't let Zeno DM your games.
>>
>>52463626
>letting one roll ride for a long time

Hmm, pretty good argument but if you combine it with "One person rolls for entire party" the game gets too easy and PC will rarely fail at anything. Eg,

>Thief covers all the stealthy/detect shit
>Ranger covers all the outdoor shit
>Wizard covers all the lore

People screwing up and being bad at things should be part-and-parcel of adventuring.
>>
>>52464128
Additionally, yeah, it's worse if you fall off a cliff at 800' than at 20'. This is why people don't like climbing cliffs. Even experienced climbers sometimes fuck up...and fall... and die. That's life.
>>
>>52464128
Let It Ride is meant to prevent bullshit like in OP. Besides, all of your examples are of the expert doing what they do best, which just makes sense in a given situation. If you encounter magic glowing runes you let the wizard handle it not the barbarian and so on.
>>
>>52464177
>you encounter magic glowing runes you let the wizard handle it
For cases where ObstacleX only affects PC1, yes.
But everyone needs to climb the cliff, not just the Rogue. (usually)
Everyone needs to sneak into the camp, not just the Rogue.
Everyone needs to impress the king, not just the Bard.
>>
>>52464215
The first I'll give to you, but sending non-stealth guys to do stealth stuff is just stupid, and when you speak to the king you choose one person to represent the whole party, the one with the best knowledge of etiquette and silver tongue, while others keep their mouths shut and kneel politely.
>>
>>52464215
Who or what are you even arguing against? You're pulling this "one PC always rolls for everybody" stuff out of nowhere.
>>
>>52464215
>But everyone needs to climb the cliff, not just the Rogue.
Fighter can carry weaker party members on his back. Rogue can leave markings on cracks in the wall that are safe to climb.

>Everyone needs to sneak into the camp, not just the Rogue.
Rogue works not only on hiding himself, but also on directing the party. Within reasonable confines, of course - if rogue straight-up ninjas into the secure castle or if party paladin is Dragonborn-Warforged hybrid pauldron golem, rogue will probably have to work alone. or party can explain HOW they do it (for example stealing the guards' uniforms in castle or making pauldron golem scare birds in the forest).

>Everyone needs to impress the king, not just the Bard.
In this case just letting Bard face it up is fine. Other party members can chime in and they are given certain leniency (on account of being murderhobo savages who don't know better), but the Bard's job is to be a social butterfly, fluttering gently on thwe wings of bullshit.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.