[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>half orc fighter tries to convince bug bears to switch sides

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

>half orc fighter tries to convince bug bears to switch sides
>does I legitimately good speech with god tier role play and put forth a decent argument that would appeal to bug bears using his understanding of goblinoid culture and even speaking in their language
>rolls for the persuasion
>rolls a 10

as a DM what do you do?
>>
Give advantage and allow them to roll again with bonuses.

Or, if the speech was good enough, just allow it through without the roll.

Being a GM isn't being a computer in a Obsidian RPG. You don't base it just on how high their CHA bonus is.
>>
Give him an advantage for roleplaying, since I'm playing a good system.
>>
>>52430379
>>52430380
if he rolls with again with bonuses again and gets a bad roll would you bypass it and let it slide or would you take the word of the dice?

if you decide he fails, how do you role play it?
>>
>>52430338
Failure means that the bug bears withdraw from the conflict, while a success would mean that they swap sides.
>>
>>52430338
Set the DC based on the adversary's general state of mind, desires, circumstances and the quality of his speech.

But if he still blows it, he blows it. Otherwise, what's the point of rolling in the first place?

I also make them roll before they start talking.
>>
>>52430410
Perhaps the leader agrees, but his shifty second in command backstabs him and says keep fighting.

And then your half-orc gets to have a cool one-on-one duel with the traitorous second as the Bug Bear army splits in half.

Just as an example.
>>
>>52430338
What was the point of having him roll
>>
>>52430410
If he fails even with an advantage, his speech doesn't produce the desired effect, because that's how rolling for persuasion works.
If I really liked his speech, maybe while he'll fail at making them switch sides, he would still plant some seeds of doubt - maybe some bugbears will desert later on, or maybe their leader will show disloyalty later and be killed for it.
>>
File: the boss needs you.jpg (76KB, 656x960px) Image search: [Google]
the boss needs you.jpg
76KB, 656x960px
As a DM, reward the player for improvisational thinking and successful skill checks. This reward should push the adventure ahead significantly, but not so much as to ruin the dramatic tension at the end.

The bugbear's cooperation should be limited, rather than being henchmen with indefinite service. The safest thing to do will just give the player helpful information and abandon their post. As goblinoids, their drive will be to follow the biggest bully with some expectation of reward at the end... so if they do follow the part and aid them, they will also be watching for signs of weakness and vulnerability, and be ready to turn coats a second time when they hit resistance.

They can also try and get the party halfling alone so they can eat him.
>>
>>52430338

If you were impressed by his roleplay you can determine his persuasion check to be how much he succeeds by. A 10 may mean he makes some good points but the bugbears may need further proof that teaming up is a good idea.
>>
>>52430538
What the original statement meant was that labour is entitled to the worth by which they increase the value of the raw materials they're working with, less the labour of their boss in getting the materials in the first place (and tool maintenance etc).

The labour of selling the finished goods was not factored in, as it was assumed that demand was infinite.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.