[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General: Cliff House Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 411
Thread images: 37

File: anasazicliffhomes2.jpg (87KB, 700x466px) Image search: [Google]
anasazicliffhomes2.jpg
87KB, 700x466px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>New Unearthed Arcana: Trio of subclasses
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAThreeSubclasses.pdf

>Don't forget to take the official survery on Theurgy and War Magic
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/9d26907ef733

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previously, on /5eg/
>>52399391

Thread question: What's the most memorable set piece you've played in/created for your players?
>>
>>52408032
My players once spent a week inside the body of a gargantuan giant. There was a little civilization in there lining the walls of the stomach.
>>
File: index.jpg (10KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
10KB, 300x168px
>>52408058
>>52408058
Welcome, to - URRRRP - Anatomy Park!
>>
>>52408020
> Stone
> limitless supply
Also go back to economy 101 class. You will learn why that wouldn't work (or the consequence that will follow).
>>
>>52408106
So physics our players can safely ignore, but by god if your players violate an economic principle they're fucked.
>>
A Trio Of Subclasses
>Drunken Master that doesn't actually use alcohol
Just the way it always should have been. If you also want to drink, nobody's stopping you. Capstone is a bit underwhelming.
>Paladin of Redemption
Great concept, shitty execution. AC of 16+Dex? Really? This is why nobody allows multiclassing with UA.
>The Witcher meets Constantine
No complaints there. Decent fluff, fun execution.
>>
>>52408106
>>52408121
Huge red flag for me. He should go see a doctor.
>>
>>52408130
>AC of 16+Dex? Really? This is why nobody allows multiclassing with UA.
Well, you only get to pick one calculation for AC so you'd be safe on that front at least. But I can still see this being changed were it ever to go to print.
>>
>>52408151
Sure, but any dex user would automatically dip into this paladin faster than cha users currently dip into warlock. 21 AC with only your primary stat is absurd.
>>
>>52408165
For design consistency, it should be 10+dex+cha. Cha as armor doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but I don't care about that so much.
Alternately, if they kept it 16+dex, instead of just fluff-wise rejecting non-simple weapons, the archetype should forbid use of non-simple weapons so the character still needs str since nearly all simple weapons are str based.
>>
>>52408165
i mean you can stymie that as a DM by having them stick to the tenants of the Oath or turn them oathbreaker and then lose the benefits.
that the whole point of Paladin Oaths isnt it, rewards for roleplay.
>>
File: crafting.pdf (165KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
crafting.pdf
165KB, 1x1px
Someone posted a crafting system earlier that uses INT checks only.

Kinda odd that it makes Wizards and Rouges the best crafters...

Wizards since they're likely to get 20 INT before anyone else, and Rouges because past level 10 they can't roll less than a 21.

Any ideas to make this a bit less unfair?
>>
>>52408366
Have different tools based on different stats.
>>
>>52408411
Solves Wizards, but what about the Rouges thing? Just DM fiat that they can't use that feature?
>>
>>52408432
I'm not sure why you want that. Rogues being able to contribute in more ways is good. They are a really plain class otherwise.
>>
>>52408432
I mean Rogues don't naturally get a tool usage except maybe as background. If they want to spend expertise on a tool that's their business.
>>
>>52408458
Eh, it's more that I don't see why, fluff wise, they'd be so good at crafting, but these mechanics make them good crafters anyway.
>>
File: Untitled.png (761KB, 804x513px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
761KB, 804x513px
Playing a Lore Wizard.

Never played a full caster in 5e, and haven't played one since my Cleric way back in 3.5.

What sort of spells do you like grabbing? List is a bit daunting and I don't wanna bog myself too heavily in damage based spells due to the limit per day and what not. Just seeing what sort of "builds" you guys like to go.
>>
>>52408479
Well, if you look at the name "rogue" sure, but if you look at the features "expertise" it makes sense.

Besides, the guy that's really good with a knife being able to carve nice shit as a hobby, or being good with all kinds of small tweezers and shit being able to do jewelry makes a certain amount of sense.
>>
>>52408493
Doesn't matter, you get all spells at level 14.

Lore Master is for faggots, play a Diviner
>>
File: 9c0.jpg (43KB, 600x480px) Image search: [Google]
9c0.jpg
43KB, 600x480px
>>52408518
but I wanna do Necrotic Ball or cool guy Lightning Knife

Nah, but for real, why do you recommend playing Diviner over it? Have more fun in your experience?
>>
>you can free and ally with an empyrean in Against the Giants

Then sit back and wait for this CR 23 creature to annihilate everything. How did this nigga even get captured in the first place
>>
>>52408553
Diviner just has a really dool unique feature.

Lore Master is "Hey sorcerer, you know that cool metamagic thing you have, HAHAHA NOPE MINE!"
>>
>>52408121
Welcome to ancapistab
>>
So I'm playing a Hexblade and at level 5 I have to take and Thirsting Blade and Improved Pact Weapon, at level 9 I'll have to pick up Thirsting Blade.

Other then those three what are some good Invocations? I don't need armour and I have plenty of skills so I'm wondering if there's anything I can't live without.
>>
File: what the fuck am i casting.jpg (50KB, 435x571px) Image search: [Google]
what the fuck am i casting.jpg
50KB, 435x571px
>>52408553
I'm playing a Diviner in my current game - their Portent feature is really fucking good. Would definitely recommend trying it out.
>>
>>52408221
>charisma doesn't make sense for AC
Force of personality so strong enemies are subconsciously influenced into being less capable of hitting you. It's magic.
>>
Wait so what level characters should embark on the Tomb of Horrors?
>>
I posted this in last thread but didn't get a reply: a hobgoblin faction is secretly led by a dragon seeking to use their army to gain mass territory. Only the top generals know.

Does blue or green dragon make more sense? Blue seems to like having minions and such, though they are far from the desert. Green is focused on trickery and deceit which kind of makes sense. Reds are probably too prideful to use an army in secret
>>
>>52408585
Nothing you can't live without, but Darkness + Devil's Sight is always a good combo for bladelocks of all kinds, especially since you can tag Hexblade's Curse in for Hex and use concentration for Darkness instead.
>>
>>52408708
Green, although most dragons would be open about it from pride
>>
>>52408493
If we were to rate the schools based on power, it'd be

>Loremaster
>Illusionist
>War Wizard
>Theurge
>Conjurer
>Abjuration
>Necromancer
>Evoker
>Enchantment

I've had the most fun with a conjurer, an illusionist, and _so far) War Wizard. Haven't done Evoker/Necromancer cuz that shit is just retarded.
>>
>>52408730
I suppose black works as well as long as I make it clear that their emperor is cruel and hard to them, though honestly it mostly seems to be between blue and green. Green seems like more of a political enemy and blue likes to hold power and fight tactically
>>
>>52408709
I'd rather use Elemental Weapon over Darkness. The Attack bonus and damage are good.

Is One with Shadows any good? I feel like it the Advantage it could give me could be pretty good but the fact I can't even move slowly is a bitch.
>>
File: 1457941998753.png (143KB, 800x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1457941998753.png
143KB, 800x1000px
>>52408752
So you have NO IDEA what you're talking about, but felt the need to advertise that to everyone anyway? Ok.
>>
>>52408752
Where's the diviner?
>>
So, I've recently gotten out of the first fight on my lvl 3 bladelock.
My character is already a fiend patron and, being a mercenary, tend to rely and appreciate his gifts quite a lot. I was thinking of making him into a cultist type of deal by multiclassing into Cleric.

Is this a terrible idea or naw?
Character and flavor-wise I really want to make it work.
>>
>>52408165
> Any dex user
> would have 13 STR for paladin
> 3 level dip
>>
>>52408752
>Enchanter is lowest

You wot? Conjurer and Evoker are the lowest. Conjuration has some really nice utility but it's pretty weak. Also worth noting Evoker has some nice abilities it's just they suck ass on a Wizard.

Enchantment has an at-will shut down at level 2, they can also Concentrate on spells while doing it. Plus the level 6 is brutal unless you're fighting something with a good Wisdom Save.
>>
File: qt.jpg (129KB, 287x282px) Image search: [Google]
qt.jpg
129KB, 287x282px
>>52408785
>Character and flavor-wise I really want to make it work

That is all you need. Fuck it, do it.
>>
>>52408785
I have a big revelation for you.
You can be cultist without multiclassing into Cleric.

Class name can frame your thinking, but you don't need to be X Class to represent your character.
>>
>>52408785
It'll work good. If you want it for Flavor reasons then go for it man.

It's also quite good mechanically. War Cleric gives you 2 spells, all armour and depending on your wisdom the ability to make a bonus action attack 1-3 times per rest.
>>
File: 1484377776292.png (75KB, 142x289px) Image search: [Google]
1484377776292.png
75KB, 142x289px
>>52408801
Fuck it I'm going for it, chief.
Just need to figure out which Domain would fit the best for him. He tends to enjoy being somewhat flashy in the thick of battle since he works a lot off of intimidate.

Luckily I have pretty good wisdom since our DM told us to roll stats in order, so that might help a bit.
>>
I need marked and numbered DM versions of TftYP maps
>>
>>52408806
Aye, I am well aware of this, it's just thematically more appealing when the character becomes a man of "faith" both in outlook and attitude aswell as mechanically.

>>52408818
War domain does sound pretty interesting.
Especially since I ended up with a whopping +0 dex mod due to rolling stats in order. Sitting at a sick 11 AC at lvl 3.
>>
Playing a Wu Yen, character has a family he sends letters to regularly. DM kills the family off.
>>
>>52408831
Ouch. What's your Wisdom? I'm assuming a 14ish?

War is most likely the best without going into the Weird territory. Forge Cleric is obviously awesome but I wouldn't go to that level of multiclass fuckery.
>>
>>52408831
> rolling for stats
Your whole campaign is already a terrible idea. Do whatever you want.
>>
>>52408844
Wisdom ended up at a 16, which I'm pretty happy about.

Aye, I was considering either Tempest or War seeing how he functions in fights, either would fit fairly well.
>>
>>52408838
> Mom and Dad aren't retired adventurers
> Neighbour isn't retired adventurers
> Your Elven grandfather isn't retired adventurer
> Your dog isn't retired true polymorphed Wizard

Have some fail safe against DM.
>>
>>52408855
Make sure to discuss with DM about somatic component and free hand.
>>
>>52408763
Depends on your DM and your personal tastes. In terms of combat, it's limited unless you're relying on opportunity attacks, because you're sacrificing an action one turn just for advantage on the next, and there are plausibly easier ways to get advantage. Plus, you have to be in some sort of dark anyway, so it's possibly a bit too situational. I'd say it's more for stealthy stuff, but you can probably make it work.

As for elemental weapon, yeah, it scales better and deals more damage. You're squishier than with Darkness, but it's a matter of taste, so fair enough.
>>
>>52408845
You seem to have neglected the small part of having to do it in order.
We have a fighter with a whopping 12str, and the campaign started us off in a prison with us being below poverty-level and having no possessions at all.

Not sure why /tg/ is so aversed towards rolling stats in the first place when this is probably as close to hardmode I've played yet since we've got far from good stats for what we're aiming for with our characters.
>>
So I just heard I'll be DM-ing an AL adventure for the first time at my local store soon. Do you guys have any advice for me or any recommend reading besides the adventure itself? I don't know which one yet.
>>
>>52408867
No worries, I always check with my DM before making any decisions. But thanks for the heads up!
>>
>>52408876
Make sure to kill as many tryhard assholes as possible
>>
>>52408875
It not fair. It create a nonfuctional character which isn't fun. It increase workload for DM to balance the game around.

And many more.
>>
>>52408838
They were the characters father was a Wu Yen, the mother was a druid.
>>
>no graphics provided for tomb of horrors

I'll have to print off S1 graphics sheesh
>>
>>52408856
The father was a Wu Yen the mother a druid.
>>
Playing a Warlock (Not sure about the pact yet) for the first time ever. I like Warlocks design but honestly have an issue with how... edgy all warlocks naturally seem. I'm sure it's just lingering feelings because they really don't have to be in this one, I know.

Can someone give me some good examples for the least edgy pact possible? I'm talking about a guy who's all smiles and patting puppies. Thinking either Hexblade, Raven or Undying.

One idea I had was a Dwarf and the head of his clan was the powerful Ghost of his Great, Great Grandmother. She likes taking care of the young dwarves and money. He really loves the money side of it.
>>
>>52408893
>>52408904
I guess the only answer is to kill your DM parents.

Or make a lich, fiend or dragon doting grand parents.
>>
>>52408910
Hexblade is necessarily weirdly edgy, but has the strongest mechanics. Raven Queen can go either way, likewise Undying.

Fey is probably the least edgy.

To be honest, though, you can make anything work as long as you don't steer into it too deeply. Just be a character interested in learning about the universe with no regard for their own safety.
>>
>>52408910
Undying Light or Fey.

Go for a Tome pact fey patron halfling for a cute magical girl.
>>
>>52408889
And that affects /tg/ in what way?
If someone decides that rolling stats in order is the right way to go, and it doesn't affect you in any way, why go on a witch hunt against it?

>>52408910
All three of those pacts tend to be fairly edgy.
The closest you have to "happy-go-lucky" would probably be either fae pact or great old one.
And the great old one is more smiling and happy-go-lucky due to lingering insanity.
>>
>>52408875
I see nothing wrong with this, in one campain our most powerful character was a warlock with 12 charisma and had no equipment.
>>
>>52408910
Go Hexblade.
Say, a farmer's lad who picked up an intelligent Holy Avenger blade, who's disappointed that you're not a paladin, but is "willing to work with what he's got."

He tries to teach you how to be the most paladin-like warlock out there.
>>
>>52408910
Undying is a farm boy who was charmed by a powerful Vampire. 4 years of faithful service and she felt bored with how he was still desperately in love with her, so she made a pact with him and sent him out to become the greatest hero in the land to win her heart.

Now she doesn't have to deal with him and gets to observe his antics. He's thinks he's a might hero who's trying to win the heart of a princess, and that's what you told the party as well.

Also Hexblade while weirdly edgy is easy to refluff as a more martial Warlock in service to any of the other patron options.
>>
>>52408936
It does affect us when stats roller came crying in here and whine "what do I with my shit stat /tg/ senpai!!".
>>
>>52408910
Nothing says a Great Old One has to be evil after all.
You serve a monstrous thing from outside creation... who happens to like helping people out. Maybe it even wants to have a tea party.
They may be a friend to the Flumphs.
>>
>>52408706
Any level is good.
>>
>>52408987
And you can just elect to ignore that person or hide his post.
But from what I am gathering, you're vehemently against it just because it inconveniences you whenever said people might need help and decides to ask /tg/?

Well, what a world we live in.
>>
>>52409024
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>52408910
I always like the use of characters' ignorance to avoid edge. The GOOlock who just thinks they're an arcane researcher. The Fieldlock Magical Girl whose Transformation Dress whispers sweet nothings in their ear about how they're powerful and can save the world.
>>
>>52409033
Just like how you can choose to hide and ignore anime girl poster in /pfg/ right?

People occasionally need help from different aspect of the game is fine.

It isn't fine when you can prevent those problem with a simple "don't roll for stat like an idiot".
>>
>>52409069
>The GOOlock who just thinks they're an arcane researcher.
Turns out the GOO doesn't know either.

Eventually it finds out and has to send a message to the other GOOs. "Uh, so it turns out I have warlocks. You may want to get yourself tested."
>>
>>52409082
Again, you're still saying that you don't want to be inconvenienced.
That's pretty much the only thing we've established thus far.

Now I don't care whether or not you're shallow enough to hold that view, but don't try to pass it off as some form of board-wide epidemic that hurts everyone.

Something else to note is that in this current situation, there wasn't even someone asking for help with rolled stats.
It was merely mentioned and you still decided to aggressively witch hunt.
>>
What's the fairest, funnest way to determine stats?

There's always so much argument in these threads and everyone seems to have a different opinion.

I rolled for mine (not in order) but ended up with something I could roughly have got with point-buy, but I feel more like I got something out of the experience by adding a hint of chance into it.

I'm going to DM at some point in the future, but what seems the least offensive way to get my players to start? I'm leaning towards "roll, but if you don't like your starting stats and I don't like your starting stats, you point-buy." to keep the chance but keep it from being ridiculously good or bad.
>>
>>52408032
So I have this character idea but don't have a class or class combo that I'd really like to play him as.
The character is an aaorcora (don't remember how to spell it) who has been hobbled. His wings are bound by ritual chains or stones to his back that keep him grounded, or have been broken badly and the rest is more for show, for some transgression among his people he is now stone-bound. Thats the basic concept and I like it, but not sure what class I'd want play with it, don't care much if the class is and UA's are allowed. just looking for class suggestions.
>>
>>52409205
2d6+6 works well.
>>
File: file.png (361KB, 544x702px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
361KB, 544x702px
How do I minmax this as hard as possible? I want to make people give up when they see my character sheet.

Censored so none of you fa/tg/uys can show up and ruin my fun.
>>
What weapon is the most... Vampirey?
>>
>>52409207
Depends what his motivation is.

Wants to fly again? Wizard.
Has been humbled by the experience and wants to pursue some form of redemption? Paladin.
Wants revenge at any cost? Warlock.
>>
>>52409247
A butchering knife to defeat stake.
>>
>>52409241
Halfling Lucky Diviner. Just cast bullshit Enchantment spells until they fail their save and spam Firebolt.
>>
>>52409241
You're not gonna make anything stupid good at 6th level.

I'd probably build a Battlemaster or Vengance Pally with GWF and a Greatsword going on intuition, but I doubt those are actually the best for this.
>>
>>52409241
A Bear Totem Barb is going to be very hard to kill. You're gonna have as many attacks as any other martial at this point, so you're good there. Just stack CON to max out your HP and AC and soak damage while surgically killing wounded enemies in melee. It will be a sleeper build tho.
>>
>>52409241
Probably Frenzy barb.

You get 3 attacks and immunity to fear, charm and resistance to physical damage

Assuming you heal after each encounter
>>
>>52409248
I just played a wizard so dont want to do that agian, already have 1 maybe 2 paladins so warlock seems fun, havent played much of them really.
>>
Ok, can someone explain to me why the commandment "Thou shall not roll for stats" is so common in /5eg/ ?
>>
>>52409241
Tempest Cleric's pretty good at 6. Anyone who hits you in melee gets pushed way back and you can Maximise Lightning or Thunder Damage twice.

Take PAM so people are punished for getting close before getting the pushback and use Shatter/Thunderwave/Call Lightning to hit people at range.
>>
http://www.strawpoll.me/12622026
http://www.strawpoll.me/12622028
http://www.strawpoll.me/12622029

Polls for each of the archetypes in the latest UA.
>>
>>52409247
A healthy set of teeth.
>>
>>52409305
Because it's not fun to be the guy who's every stat is below 10 sitting next to the guy who rolled every stat over 16. It's not hard to figure out.
>>
>>52409252
Nice

>>52409241
Comprehensive rules:
The tournament will be conducted using Dungeons and Dragons 5th edition rules and the following character creation rules apply:
- Only character options from the Player's Handbook are allowed (No Unearthed Arcana, Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, Volo's Guide to Monsters, or Elemental Evil Player's Companion). This includes spells. Player's Handbook errata will be enforced.
- Your character must use the standard array of stats (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8), before racial modifiers are applied
- Your character must be of level 6, including levels from all classes (ie. Cleric 6, Fighter 2/Druid 3/Bard 1, etc.)
- You may use the variant human race
- You may use feats
- You may choose any background, including variants, but note that if you choose the Knight Noble variant, your retainers will not be joining you in the arena. They will be cheering from the stands.
- Use the starting equipment from your class at first level, plus the equipment given to you by your background. The starting gold given to you by your background may be used to purchase additional equipment
>>
>>52409305
Starting stats are much more important in 5e than anytime since AD&D. If you get the short straw it's gonna suck for a long time.

It's more fair to everyone to go with a set array (doesn't have to be the one in the book) or a point buy.

All that said, I prefer rolling. As long as you go with 1 roll of 4d6drop1 and don't allow cheats, you should all end up near the same power level.
>>
>>52409364
Tempest Cleric all day long. Just fuck shit up with Variant Human for PAM and max damage level 3 Thunderwaves.
>>
>>52409305
Besides the general answer of fairness at the start of the game, I'd really only roll for stats if I couldn't figure out what I wanted for my character, same with some other things. I think the game sets the standard kind of high by actually giving ability scores for commoners, so even with proficiency being applied to rolls, it's kind of weird thinking that your superhuman character might be weaker or less intelligent than Normaldude Townguy.
>>52409376
One DM I almost had had us roll for stats, but he referred to a list of all point-buy ability score combinations to give us the closest analog. So anything under 8 would usually get bumped up to 8 and the rest would adjust accordingly.
>>
White Plume Mountain has an NPC with a magical weapon called Shatterspike. With this weapon he targets players weapons and attempts to attack and damage them.

Targeting and damaging held weapons of players with normal weapons, fun or bad?

How would you adjudicate it, take the AC and HP of the weapon from the DMG Objects table? Disadvantage to attack a weapon?
>>
>>52409378
>>52409364
What distance do the characters start at?

I'm thinking this'd be basically "Crossbow fighters: the movie: the game" because they are very likely to burst down just about anyone. With Variant Human feat they can even allow themselves to get Alert (that's the initiative buff one, right?).

Then again, they are not the only one with good burst potential. you can choose between BM for knockdowns, or EK for giving you that +4 AC to survive if you didn't win init.
>>
>>52409305
>>52409399
That being said I just tried it and got 18, 15, 14, 14, 14, 10. I'm also the kind of guy that doesn't go for risky stuff and would rather go with averages or assured middles rather than risk big loss/gain. Really just depends on luck sometimes!
>>
>>52409420
>destorying the tools of the martial
don't you fucking dare goddamnit
That'll just leave the fucking casters to shine more because they don't need sword to work
>>
>>52409442
Unless their arcane focus or component pouch can also be at risk.
>>
>Raven Warlock 3, take Chain Pact, have 2 Ravens
>Shadow Sorc 6 for shadow doggo
>Mystic 3, have 2 Shadows

I am the edge summoner.
>>
>>52409450
I don't see why not, and wood or crystal has a lower AC and HP
>>
>>52409489
>build a walking wall of familiars and similar
>pew pew eldritch blast from behind it
>>
>>52409450
>>52409507
Well see even without arcane focus they can use some cantrips
what do martials have after no weapon? They have fist, fist is worse than cantrip, unless monk
>>
>>52409551
>Not carrying a dagger or some other nearly-weightless backup weapon.

Shit man, it's like you want your DM to kill you in the most humiliating ways possible.
>>
File: 1479565019806.jpg (35KB, 440x310px) Image search: [Google]
1479565019806.jpg
35KB, 440x310px
>tfw Mystic is a better GOO cultist than GOOlock

I was thinking about doing a GOOlock/Mystic multiclass but honestly just plain Mystic is pretty much better for it mechanically and thematically. Only thing GOOlock has going for it is if you DM is lenient about the level 14 ability and using True Polymorph to turn into some kind of abomination at 17.
>>
>>52409583
>sword broken by some BS magic weapon
>pull out dagger
>dagger broken by some BS magic weapon
>>
>>52409604
I guess if you stand there like a bitch and don't even attempt to fight back? Losing one weapon is bad luck, losing two means you're letting it happen.
>>
>>52409604
>Not using powerful build to carry one of pretty much every weapon and most of the gear list as well
>>
>>52409604
That's when you grapple and steal their bullshit weapon.
>>
>>52409613
>letting it happen
yeah I'm really gonna one shot him with 1d4+dex/str

>>52409616
Got me there

>>52409621
Knocking weapons out of hands is optional rules in the DMG (unless battle master with disarm thing), I'm sure most DMs would allow it but I can imagine some dickass DM who says you can't because "it's not explicitly in the rules"
Grappling and holding the fucker down while the rest of the party stomps him to death would work pretty good
>>
>>52409637
Nigga what? Trip him, grapple him, disarm him, maybe use a weapon that has more than 1 hitpoint.

You don't want an answer, you just want to be butthurt.
>>
>>52409659
>use a weapon with more than 1 hp
I'm assuming most weapons do, but the problem is the magic weapon used against the mundane is built to destroy weapons, so it'll probably kill it pretty easily after smacking the martial around a bit
>trip, grapple, disarm
The players might be able to do such a thing if they're post level 5, you know, when they get more than one attack per turn
Otherwise shoving him down will just be pointless because he'll stand up on his turn, and grappling him will let the fucker just smack around the grappler
This is of course implying the party has someone who's good at grappling and the attacker doesn't have good athletics

I don't want to be butthurt, I'm just pointing out there shouldn't be some bullshit "your weapon explodes" item laying around because it fucks with the martial and leaves the already supreme casters in supremacy unless it breaks they hands and leaves them unable to do somatic components
>>
Wanting to stat up god's avatars, what's a good creature template?
>>
>>52409687
Telekinesis and Heat Metal already do that
>>
>>52409637
Disarming is generally only possible when two combatants of grossly disparate skill levels come to blows IRL.

Plus, imagine how fucking gay a battle of nothing but trying to disarm each other would be.
>>
I play a Druid and am likely going to need a miniature for an awakened tree but there don't seem to be anything but expensive treants. What should I do /5eg/
>>
>>52409770
>two combatants
This is where you're wrong.

Assuming a party of 4, 2 would likely be at least semi-decent at grappling.

4 people, 2 of which are strong (And maybe even a fucking Goliath or something) dogpiling someone and taking their weapon seems pretty valid to me.

And this is assuming the Wizard doesn't cast Enlarge on said hypothetical grappler.
>>
>>52409783
Tree miniature
>>
>>52409798
But from where?
>>
>>52409783
Get a small stick and glue it on a base?
>>
>>52409810
No but it is huge sized last I checked so it will have to be a fairly girthy stick
>>
File: Warlock Backstory.jpg (49KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
Warlock Backstory.jpg
49KB, 960x960px
>>52408910
Fiend is pretty nonedgy.
>>
>>52409826
Get a branch and throw it on the table.

Or just buy a small potted plant. What's huge? like 20x20? You can get a small cactus in a pot.
>>
Did someone watch Acquisitions Incorporated: the C team? Is it any good?
>>
>>52409840
Awakened cactus. I need to invest in those
>>
>>52409784
Just remember, any purely bullshit uncounterable tactic used by the PCs can be used against the PCs, or of course the DM.

Throughout AD&D 2e and 3e my group had a truce, the PCs don't use tactics that delete enemy toys (AMF, rust monsters, energy drain {a lot harder to counter in 3.0}, disarming, disjunction) and they won't be used against you. IRL, if every attack, you try to knock a similarly matched foe's weapon out of his hand or try to break it, you're going to experience diminishing returns; with disarming rules outside of the Battlemaster, there is generally no rule for "wising up." If a player decides he really wants to dick around with that nonsense, he will find that depriving foes of their abilities and resources hurts the dude that has the same avatar from fight to fight more than the dude who gets a new avatar set all the time.
>>
Yawning Portal scans when?
>>
>>52409851
I have a small cactus with a googly eyes and a sombraro. I'm gonna make a Druid now just so Señor Tom can play d&d with me.
>>
>>52409637
Obv. not everyone can do it but battlemaster's disarm can deal with shit like this barring using the disarm DMG rules.

I also think it's worthwhile for most parties to have a high STR character with Expertise in Athletics.

Combine both, use Attack (or bonus action with shield master) to shove prone, Extra Attack to grapple so they can't get back up, next attacks at advantage since the enemy is proned are to proc trip, and on a success you walk away dragging the enemy with you, and they will never touch their weapon again.

Or you grab it as part of your move and kill them with it.
>>
>>52409881
Or use Heat Metal.
>>
>>52409852
Great if that works for your party, and I don't know if you're the DM or whatever, but that just reads like childish tantrum to me. And a bad case of the DM vs Players mentality.
>>
File: Ms.Thott.290.2º_136r.jpg (541KB, 2000x1349px) Image search: [Google]
Ms.Thott.290.2º_136r.jpg
541KB, 2000x1349px
>>52409852
>Anon complains that there's a bullshit weapon used by a rude dude
>give tactic to stop this
>B-BUT U BETTER WATCH OUT OR IT CAN HAPPEN TO U :(

And I'm referring specifically to grappling an enemy and forcibly taking their shit, not some wimpy limp-wristed disarm attempt. You think a guy with a sword would be able to stop a hypothetical raging bear druid (with Athletics expertise because lol 1 level of Rogue) from taking a fat bear shit on you in grappling range?

ur a faget

Also
>implying the best way to deal with assholes in Plate isn't grappling and daggering the shit out of weak spots
>>
>>52409873
Check the fucking mega you knob.
>>
>>52409903
im so surprised it's already up, thanks!
>>
>>52409893
>but that just reads like childish tantrum to me

First time I've heard of NOT using antimagic, energy drain, sundering, etc. as a tantrum. Amazing.

>And a bad case of the DM vs Players mentality.

Hm? If the players want to initiate a DM vs Players scenario, they are free to do so, and see where it takes them.

And yes, level drain pops up all the time back in the day -- there's one module that encourages the DM to have vampires sneak up on sleeping PCs to level drain them and another in which there's a 5-level draining vampire and a half dozen or so normal, 2-level draining vampires.
>>
>>52409898
Wow, fighters automatically losing their weapon vs a bear druid sounds like a masterwork of game balance. Making grapples even worse is definitely a case of "you sure about that?" since monsters have VERY plentiful ways to cause grapples and restrained conditions.
>>
>>52409878
I need to invest in a tree to put googly eyes on
>>
File: 1487556195581.gif (718KB, 500x384px) Image search: [Google]
1487556195581.gif
718KB, 500x384px
Are the Gnolls better, yet?
>>
>>52409847
I turned it off ep 1 when Matt Mercer got interrupted and he told guy to shut it

Too embarrassing
>>
>>52409958
It's a solid investment. It can work as a miniature for trees, bushes, cacti and many other plant based creatures and/or scenery.
>>
>>52409972
>Matt Mercer
?
>>
>>52409729
Homebrewery
>>
Where do I get huge sized mini bases to glue my girthy stick to?
>>
>>52409597

Mystic renders a lot of subclasses absolutely useless by comparison. simple solution: ban the class entirely. nobody except That Guy is gonna miss main character syndrome - the class.
>>
>>52409597
>>52410079
The subclasses Mystic makes look bad were already garbage beforehand.
>>
>>52408493
Hold person is a fan favorite. Magic missle and shield both have their benefits and they are good to have. Put identify and detect magic in your spell book so you can cast them as rituals without preparing them.

Level 5 fireball or lightning bolt is important. My conjuration wizard has leomund's tiny hut for sleeping, and phantom steed for a free mount.

Anything beyond level 3 spells you shouldn't worry about cause campaigns typically aren't that long. If you still had to choose though, greater invisibility is great along with dimension door.
>>
>>52410004
Good shit. You better fucking stat those gods up.
>>
>>52409729
empyrean
>>
>>52408585
Eldritch Sight is always good, mask of many faces is good as well.
>>
>>52408032
>New Unearthed Arcana: Trio of subclasses
What are /5e/ thoughts on these new subclasses? I wasn't here yesterday
>>
>>52408130
>>The Witcher meets Constantine

How did you figure that?
>>
>>52408585
You probably want cursebringer, to be fair. The smites are damn powerful, especially if you use them on a crit.

Really, you shouldn't expect to get a lot of invocations for anything but melee combat, because you chose to go the path of the bladelock and you're gonna suck it.
>>
>>52410250
Drunken master sucks. Barren for features and looks boring as fuck to play.

Peace paladin is kinda cool I guess, but nothing really special. The unarmored AC will be taken away either way.

I couldn't even bring myself to read "yet another ranger".
>>
>>52410389
Its a pretty cool ranger. Not sure I'd USE it, but its more for an incredibly wily, witch/vampire/demon hunting ranger who counters various very resourceful enemies.
>>
>>52410250
Drunken master is horrific like all of the Monk UA-s so far.

Peace paladin is kinda okay but it's literally the cactus paladin and the theme kinda clashes.
It gets the best unarmoured AC in the game tho.
Due to its restrictive tennets and multiclassing requiering Str it's kinda balanced for multiclassing actually so i can't wait to try a Redemption pally/Swashbuckler rogue with Tavern brawler to grapple everything.

Monster-hunter ranger is Hunter ranger but upgraded to murder-fuck a single target.
I consider it the best archetype in this UA cause it's straight up ready for play.

Someone allready posted a good rework for the Drunken-master last thread so i'm going to repost it here.
Seriously mearls hates Monks...

Cont.
>>
>>52410468
Here's the whole post:

Mearls i know you hate monks but get your shit together man.

Here's how you do it.

LvL 3 Drunken monkey technique:

>Improvised weapons count as monk weapons for you.
>If an enemy misses you with a melee weapon attack you may use your reaction to redirect that attack onto another target within 5 ft of you.

LvL 6 Infuriating drunken dance:

>You gain the performance skill, it uses Dex instead of Cha for you.
>Once per round you may make a performance check using your Dex instead of Cha to provoke a single target within 90 ft of you. The target makes a Wis save and on failure can only use it's action to dash towards you o attack you untill the end of its next turn.

LvL 11 Tipsy tumble rumble:

>While using your FOB feature you may use it to make up to 5 attacks instead of 2 as long as you don't hit the same creature more than twice.

LvL 17 Way of the drunken dragon:

>You can gather intoxicating ki in your mouth and spew it out in a breath of irresistable flame.
>As an action you may spend 6 ki to execute a 60ft cone breath attack that deals 6d10 fire damage on a failed Dex save and half of that on a sucesfull save. You ignore any resistance to fire damage with this feature.
>>
Does anyone have any idea where you might be able to find some of the promo dice WotC has been handing out alongside some of their promo adventures? Not long ago, I saw a whole bunch on sale on Ebay etc, but they're all gone now. Which really sucks, since there are some that would be really neat for my FR campaign.
>>
>>52410468
>It gets the best unarmoured AC in the game tho.
It's a heavy armor class, of course it had to have the best unarmored
>>
>>52410480
>Dex instead of cha
Firstly, skills do not use a specific stat. You should say 'When you would use charisma to do performance, you can use dex instead'
And even then, you're thinking of the acrobatics skill. How is dexterity going to help you in a stage performance, aside from for acrobatics?
Just leave it as performance skill proficiency, or 'performance or acrobatics'.
Honestly would be cooler for it to be 'you gain a different sort of unarmoured defence where you use charisma instead to foil opponents' .. Or something like that, rather than all this 'dex instead of cha' stuff.
Charisma-based monks.

Also the level 6 is a bit strong because it's an at-will, no action single-target 'fuck you, you don't get a turn and you now run over to our team to get clobbered'.

Also what the heck is 'you make a performance check and then the enemy makes a save?' Contested skill check versus save?

Level 11 is certainly fine.

And level 17 feels kinda bland. It's nice to have a breath attack, but it feels like it'd be more interesting to have some utility that isn't just 'AoE damage' when you already have that with FOB for much cheaper.

Level 6 is obscenely, obscenely overpowered.
Level 17 is definitely underpowered.
>>
How do you deal with a player that you're starting to get sick of his shit but the other players aren't?

>Spend hours of your time preparing a huge set piece where all player's need to be present.
>Dude says he doesn't want to do it and instead kills the groups main ally for suggesting set piece event.
>Then he wildshapes into a bear and leaves the group to die.
>2 party members die.
>Says he's "taking a shit in the woods".
>Comes back saying he made a wooden dildo with his woodcarving tools.
>Uses it on himself and then leaves it in the only female character's room.

Aside from that:
>Refuses to RP.
>Refuses to help.
>He is always meming as his wildshapes.
>Killed one of the BBGs henchmen that the party was interrogating before anything useful was said to them.
>His character has no personality.
>Leaves game mid session cause "It's a story moment".
>Comes back asking what the hell the party is doing.

I just want to kick him out if he doesn't fix himself soon, but I don't know how to word it.
>>
Does "Heart of the Storm" (SCAG: Storm Sorcerer) trigger if I do Storm Sphere's (Elemental Evil) bonus action lightning bolt, or does it only trigger when I first cast Storm Sphere?

Same as Witch Bolt, actually. Does it trigger every time I do lightning damage, or only when I first cast the spell?

>In addition, whenever you start casting a spell of 1st level or higher that deals lightning or thunder damage, stormy magic erupts from you. This eruption causes creatures of your choice that you can see within 10 feet of you to take lightning or thunder damage (choose each time this ability activates) equal to half your sorcerer level.

Heart of the storm feels like a bit of a headscratcher to me. If it's only that little bit of damage (I know it's no save/suck or attack roll), I don't have much of a motivation to stand near danger if I can't do it repeatedly/have to spend spell slots each time to do it.
>>
>>52410590
So lvl 6 needs rewording but it was meant as a clone of the ''Panache'' feature from Swashbuckler obviously enough.

LvL17 is quite fine as it ignores fire resistance and is a 60 ft cone after all with' 6d10 fire damage to each target it hits.
>>
>>52410591
How are the other players not sick of that?
>>
>>52410597
>whenever you START casting a spell
Seems pretty clear to me.
>>
>>52410591
If you think your other players aren't angry, something's wrong, whether you can't read that they're secretly pissed, whether you're exaggerating their actions or whether the rest of your group is secretly chucklefucks as well.

There's plenty, plenty of ways to screw him over. It's just when you get in the mindset of 'Okay, here's a strict, set story' then you're left defenceless when the party strays from it at all.

Every single person who knows that character will know them to be a lunatic chucklefuck. Nobody would respect their character. If the campaign was more dynamic with improvisation, he'd be more likely to get screwed over when he ends up at the hands of the town guards for being a chucklefuck and has to talk his way out or else fight 30 guards at once.

Let himself walk himself into a situation where he will die.
He goes to have a shit in the woods? Well, funny that, because he's now all alone and in the territory of some nasty giant spiders, and even though he's a druid the monsters don't give a fuck because he doesn't know how to druid, only how to turn into an animal and shit.
>>
File: Planningmyescape.png (14KB, 775x206px) Image search: [Google]
Planningmyescape.png
14KB, 775x206px
Soon... we get Planescape: Torment EE. Will Wizards be amazing and have a book to go along with it?
>>
>>52410591
Well the first question is ask is "are all the other party members murderhobos?" If the answer is no they are not then I'd tell him straight up "hey you're just not working out for the group and ruin everyone else's fun so don't come back."

If everyone is acting roughly the same then congratulations and my condolences you're DMing for murderhobos, stop caring about story and just make things for them to fight.
>>
>>52410591
you do know you can say no to his shit?

>tries to kill main ally
>fails, gets fucked up by stronger npcs
>leaves the group
>party finds some good shit, no one dies
>wooden dildo was carved out of some sapient tree
>faggot is now cursed

you literally have all the power over your campaign, and if someone is refusing to cooperate you can and should 1) talk to them, 2) fuck them over or 3) kick them out.

something something group game
>>
>>52410811
>>52410591
Oh, yeah.

>He leaves room.
>NPC gives everybody still present an important item 'Whatever you do, do NOT attempt to go through the gate without this item.'
>Guy comes back
>Inevitably sees loot behind gate, tries to go through, fucking dies

There are all manner of things you can do if you learn to improvize a bit and make it so the 'story part' is actually relevant to the game rather than just generic dialogue.
>>
It just occured to me that half my characters have fucked up sleeping habits.
>Several don't sleep at all due to Elf or Warlock shit
>Two sleep standing up like a statue (one growing roots into the ground because tree)
>One sleeps sitting up straight like a Buddha statue
>Lizardman who digs a hole with Mold Earth, fills it with Create Water, and sleeps like an alligator with only their nose showing
>>
Why are they throwing out so many subclass UAs recently? Are they planning a book with mystic + a bunch of subclasses?
>>
>>52410937
Obviously, they need their Shekels.
>>
>>52410937
They took it to task to give every class new subclass options, with very mixed results. Also don't forget the artificer...
>>
>>52410937
They are planning a book with Mystic in it but I think I remember Mearls saying it would only have one none-mystic subclass in it. At the time I assumed it would be a Psychic Warrior sub-class for fighter but Mystic mostly does that already anyway.
>>
>>52410638
>>52410668
>>52410745
>>52410811
>>52410899

I've done a couple of things like that but they've mostly been passive, like having him roll for the madness table and him not following receiving penalties for not following his newfound madness. But maybe I'll give him the talk and have the penalties be a lot more severe. And since were soon heading to Barovia it'll be fully justified.

As for players not being pissed off at him they're mostly pissed off at this one player that he tries different ideas and they all go horribly wrong. But he was one of the characters that died when the problem player went to shit in the woods.
>>
>>52411031
sounds like your group is bullshit, regardless this bear guy.
>>
File: sad-pepe-640x480.jpg (29KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
sad-pepe-640x480.jpg
29KB, 640x480px
>>52410982
>play artificer
>very fun character, first time I RP as Evil.
>DM said we roll for stats, get insanely great stats

>tfw each combat is me running a hundred feet away and shooting with insanely strong attacks
>tfw its so boring but the class gets nothing interesting
>tfw its too fun to RP this character to start a new one
>>
>>52411075
i'm now reading it because i never cared about it and why the fuck are the vials so weak early on?

is your dude gunsmith or alchemist?
>>
>>52411087
Gunsmith, each combat I run away as far as possible in order not to get slaughtered, shoot from 100-500 ft. range (thanks to sharpshooter) and that's about it. The enemies can barely hide due to that feat.
>>
>>52411123
Sounds like compelling ranger gameplay as well.
>>
>>52411168
>playing ranger

>even if playing ranger being an archer ranger
>>
>>52411031
Yeah you got a case of the murderhobos, stop worrying about story so much, only use it to set up another wacky fight for the group to kill.

As for the bear guy, have Strahd swoop in to bitch slap him personally.
>>
>>52411031
You shouldn't just say 'Okay, I've giving you penalties'.
That just sounds like 'I hate you, I'm penalizing you.'

It's much better to have them screwed over as per the story. Their character is already clearly insane, you just need this to show up in the campaign when they try to do stupid shit and it has consequences in game.
That'll help teach them 'Doing stupid shit leads to stupid shit happening to you, so either don't do it or accept that you're going to keep getting yourself killed, or go bother someone else's campaign.'
>>
>>52411123
>>52411075
Well, you played an incredibly boring mechanics-wise class. That's your fault. You could read that the features are literally 'Uhh, you shoot harder.'

Also
>Rolling for stats
Also, stats aren't very important for you. You got amazing stats and then wasted it on a class that isn't even very stat dependent.
>>
>>52411258
I barely read the class, unfortunately. It perfectly fit with what kind of character I wanted to play and it just so happens that I rolled well.

Who in the world would publish something so insanely BORING, though? Mystic is nothing like that, it has pages upon pages of powers, mechanics and spells! It feels like they were made by two different companies.
>>
>>52411288
I'd discuss with your DM for extra things you can try.

Load a grapple hook into your gun, grapple gun.

Load flour into your gun. Try to blind people and reveal invisible targets.

Load something fiery into your gun. Flamethrower.

Load explosive charges in your gun, get some sort of explosives launcher.
>>
>>52409364
Variant Human Fighter Pick Sharpshooter and crossbow expert feats, action surge 90 damage in one turn if all attacks hit.
>>
>>52411304
>>52411288
That looks awesome, just as a third party lurker. Alchemists would be the type to try and tinker their equipment into better stuff.

See if you can negotiate something like a Wild Magic Surge table with them, like an "experiment table", where you can try and get bonus effects, but with a chance of it backfiring.
>>
>>52409305

Because /tg/ in general is risk-averse.

Personally, I'm all for it. My fun isn't decided by how high the numbers are.
>>
>>52411365
I think it adds to the realism, not everyone who's trying to be an adventurer is going to be amazingly skilled at the start but some might be and some might not be.
>>
>>52411304
This sounds great, thanks! I'll talk to the DM about it.
>>
>>52411395
>>52411350
Yeah. I was once thinking about trying to give gunsmith some extra options too, but aside from giving up on revamping Artificer it did feel like you wouldn't even have to make a specific ruleset for it. If you want extra concotions as an alchemist, you could probably ask your DM, much like with gunsmith.

The only limits are your imagination and your DM.
>>
>>52411288
You somewhat have to make it fun yourself.
The one ive seen here is
>Mounted Combatant feat
>Get a Giant Eagle mechanical servant
>Fluff eagle as robot jetpack
Or
>Get Allosaurus servant
>Fluff as power armor
>Can close in to melee with it, forcing enemies to target you instead of it and letting it counterattack as a reaction
>>
>>52411058
They're all first timers but they're veering off being like that.

>>52411206
More of a case of a mostly minmaxer group but I don't mind them that much cause the fuckups are pretty funny and have made for some of the more memorable moments... actually nope your right they are murderhobos. They assaulted a dude cause he didn't know the secret thing he didn't know.

>>52411214
I'll attempt to be smarter about it, and involve the story into the consequences instead of just debuffs.

I just had a talk about him with it and he got that I wanted him to take the game more seriously, hopefully none of this will be needed again but thanks for the suggestions, It will be undoubtedly be useful for the future regardless.
>>
>>52411792
God speed, I'm just glad the group I DM for is more level, one isn't a huge fan of the RP but she doesn't cause problems and when she does participate it actually makes for some interesting moments.

Running a game for murderhobos or with would be a nightmare for me because it'd be so boring "oh how are we gonna solve this, oh yeah kill everything yeah........."
>>
DId we ever get a virdict on how to do a magical abortion and make it look natural
>>
>>52411961
Surely just Arcane Trickster Mage Hand?
>>
>>52411983
Can a hand make it all the way to the womb? I'm not all that familiar with female anatomy
>>
>>52412045
Don't need to make it to the womb to push her down the stairs.
>>
>>52412072
That ain't natural
>>
>>52411961
Be a cleric and pray for a miscarriage.

There's a reason why god's called the Great Abortionist.
>>
How does magic healing work? Can adventurers get scars if a cleric uses magic to heal them? Are body parts regenerated?
>>
File: jo.jpg (111KB, 351x233px) Image search: [Google]
jo.jpg
111KB, 351x233px
Has anybody here created a character with a moral code like Batman? No killing humanoids or intelligent creatures?

If so, how did you enjoy it?
>>
>>52408032
Hey 5e, I need help again!

The party accidentallied a social encounter against a satyr and killed him. I think it would be cool if they fey got "revenge" back on the party, but I don't know much about how fey would act.

They're more like tricksters aren't they? What types of monsters do they have that can smack the party, if any? Is that the wrong way to think about this encounter?
>>
>>52412151
What if life cleric
>>
>>52412107
she "tripped"
>>
>>52412162
Haven't tried it, but you might like the new Paladin oath with its simple weapons option.
>>
>>52412196
Lesser Restoration. Argue it's a disease or condition.
>>
>>52412241
>The condition can be Blinded, Deafened, Paralyzed, or Poisoned.
>>
>>52412272
Then as a disease, argue with your god about it being a parasite.
>>
>>52412159
From my understanding it'd depend on when and what healing is done. Rushed healing in the middle of a fight probably, also depends on what's being healed, like a really bad hit would definitely leave something. As for limbs that is higher level healing spells like regenerate or ressurect if I remember correctly.

Another thing to keep in mind is it kinda is up to each person and the way they see healing magic work, unless you specifically state it.
>>
>>52409597
Well, yeah. GOO has a bunch of issues where it tries to be a controller/utility thing in a resource starved chassis. It kind of affects me that GOO doesn't get any pact of tome incantation with the UA and that both their bladepact pseudo smite and their thematic eldritch blast are complete garbage.
Sure, reach and making speed 0 is good, if it wasn't a fucking flail on a class that doesn't get medium armor, and pulling enemies closer is terrible 90% of the time for a squishy caster (pumping cha first instead of dex/str or w.e).
I like it thematically so very much but godshit if it isn't underpowered as all fuck.

>>52410101
This pretty much.
>>
>>52412193
You're saying it like they 'failed' the encounter.

There is no true 'success' or 'failure'.

Still, I think you're probably on the right lines. Have the fey do stuff such as haunt the party with illusions of monsters they'd want to run away from, that sort of thing.
>>
>>52412193
Depends if you originally designed the satyr to have friends and allies. If they did its possible that it would have repercussions, that is if the people looking into it find out and know who did it.

Personally I'd roll percentile, under 50 and the party is free and clear, 50-75 and some fey know it was foul play but not who, 76-100 and they now have a fey working to sabotage them in some way or seek justice.
>>
>>52412193
I'd personally say that there's a 60% chance the satyr's friends show up to make the PCs fall madly in love with each other, a 20% chance of the satyr's friends showing up to demand the PCs fulfil the satyr's duties to its former patron, and a 20% chance that the satyr's friends show up to reward the players since they hated the satyr.

Alternatively, the satyr had 10 pixie friends with varying opinions, and they split into groups of 6/2/2 and attempt the above simultaneously.
>>
>>52412311
>The god blesses you with "immunity to disease" (you are now sterile).
>>
>>52412344
Also, any help with a GOOlock build? My group won't be allowing mystics so it's the closest thing to my flavor?

Human, variant or otherwise, Sailor background, I obv. envision him as a dex fighter but missing out on claw of acamar seems like a waste, and tome blasting doesn't really fit him at all.
>>
>>52412413
No I'm not looking at it like they failed the encounter, I'm trying to look at it through the lens of fellow fey who have lost a friend.

Illusions could work, but they're a bit higher level, stuff doesn't really scare them anymore.

>>52412416
>>52412483
I really like the idea that they need someone to replace the satyr, and the roll to see if anyone actually cares.

For some context:
They encountered a satyr doing satyr stuff, it was suppose to be a social encounter, but they just murdered him in the woods. They certainly didn't fail it, but they went the idiot route.
>>
>>52412507
Well it's possible.

Also, historically accurate. The "ordeal of bitter water" was administered by priests in the old testament, to cause a miscarriage if the woman had been sleeping with another man.
>>
>>52412538
>v.human with resilient (con)
>15+1 Str
>13+1 Dex
>13+1 Con
>8 Int
>9 Wis
>14 Cha

Why do the make shit like this? Either you need to get armor of shadows as tax or get shit ac or shit hp or you simply can't use claw of acamar (str) at all. And unless you roll godlike, you have to gift your EB/DCs, those being the absolute rest of your kit.
>>
Survival or Perception?
>>
Is it possible for an Oath of Treachery paladin to "fall" and become an Oathbreaker?

What would cause this? Being insufficiently selfish/too selfless? Dedicating yourself to a cause/deity?
>>
>>52412938
>Skill that could potentially get you an extra turn in combat/avoid traps or a skill used to get yourself food when you can just create food anyway
Gee, I wonder
>>
>>52412938
Perception, always.
>>
>>52412964
I don't think oath of treachery even has proper tenets.

You couldn't 'fall' for being too selfless into a paladin oathbreaker that's basically a selfish archetype.
>>
>>52412964
Oathbreakers, by default, are oathbreakers who are also evil. So becoming a nice honorable paladin dedicate to a deity would make you a normal paladin.

Its hard to fall to Oathbreakerdom with Treachery. I'd go with being a loyal, non treacherous servant of a fiend or undead master or something.
>>
>>52412997
Isnt treachery explicitly the path paladins too pussy shit to take an oath get roped into by default?
>>
File: nut.png (355KB, 603x1269px) Image search: [Google]
nut.png
355KB, 603x1269px
>been running a game for over a year from levels 1 to 12
>finally wrapped it up, players decided their characters are ready to retire
>they want to start a fresh campaign
>at level 1

It feels like bliss, /5eg/, glorious early game
>>
>>52412538
Take a level of fighter for shield proficiencies, CON saves and fighting style. DEX > CHA > CON. Strength works better but if you want to DEX then sure, fight with a PoB Rapier + Shield, switching down from medium armor to magical studded leather or armor of shadows as your DEX goes up.

Honestly, GOO doesn't offer much synergy for a melee bladelock, and the warlock features that help you out are Hex, Armor of Agathys, Armor of Shadows, Thirsting Blade, and Devil's Sight + Darkness, which you'll all have by level 5. My suggestion would be to just go ahead and take fighter to 5-6 (or 11) and the rest in warlock.
>>
>>52413117
Really all bladelocks should get the "use CHA for hits with one handed weapons" thing.
>>
So I'm running an encounter that relies on stealth, party has a lot of dexterity save for the chain mail dwarf so it's doable. But I'm trying to capture the silent takedowns and the tension of one fuck up can blow it out of the water. They are level 3 by the way, 6 of them.

The enemies are goblins, low health fair AC and how I'm handling it they can all take one turn to down a group of goblins but if they don't all die by the end of it they can use their reaction and call out for help.

Any ideas on what else I should add? Inspiration I guess is the sync shots from Ghost Recon Future Soldier.

Enemies popping up in surprise is something too.
>>
>>52412964
Based on the Fallen Paladins block in the UA it's parallel, and I suppose it depends on what the DM decides. I'd personally go with the Oathbreaker in the DMG and not tell the player what they get now, but that's probably a bit cruel for some.
>>
>>52413010
This is what I figure. By their nature, Treachery paladins should be Chaotic. If one was to, say, earnestly dedicate themselves to a Lawful Evil being (or be forced into it) they'd become an Oathbreaker, who surrendered their freedom.
>>
>>52413235
Why use a reaction?

The surprise mechanics are already in the game. If your players managed to stealth, they get one full round where the enemy can't act, plus whoever goes first before the first goblin gets a turn on the next round and yells for help.

As such, besides being able to sneak in, the game becomes about optimizing those initial moves, maybe spending resources to do so, and hoping for decent rolls.
>>
>>52412579
I try to bring a little more randomness to my games, that way it's less of set story path and it evolves with the PCs. Takes a little more work because you have to have a vague idea of what's gonna happen four to five steps ahead but makes it so the PCs have a real impact on the world.

Such as with the campaign I'm running now I plan to set up a tally system, more tallies the better the outcome in the long run. Sometimes this involves getting allies, sometimes it involves taking out certain groups, another component is how the party acts while doing the above.

For example right now they are having to work with the crime group in the main city, depending on if they earn the trust of the guy watching them, how well they perform the task and if they do more or just demand and bargain their way to the info they want will change the rolls on how the group reacts to them in the future and ultimately performs in the story and the impact they have.
>>
>>52412964
Multiclass Fiend Pact Warlock and swear your undying loyalty to Mephistopheles.
>>
What are the most useful cantrips for a tomelock?
>>
>>52413455
Sheilgha or however that's written.
>>
>>52413330
Cause the goblins only have 7 health, the players are rolled stats with three of them able to deal the damage almost without even rolling. If I give the Rogue and rangers two turns then it will be boring as they could deal with 6 goblins on their own if their initiative beats the goblins, which it will. This gives tension and them trying to think of every thing they can do.
>>
>>52408032
What are some good premades that aren't by WotC?
>>
>>52413455
Shillelagh, Guidance, Resistance.
>>
>>52408032

>Thread question: What's the most memorable set piece you've played in/created for your players?

Not really original but my players really enjoyed a swamp town which was built on the branches/trunks/etc. of a large ancient tree in the middle of the swamplands. Swamp was cursed, desecrated and spooky so the ancient tree was walled at the roots where most of the militant facilities were. As they go up, they have access to the residential and commerce areas.
>>
Other than Bard, are there any classes/subclasses/UA/feat/etc that get to learn any spell they want of at least 2nd level?
>>
>>52414080
Lore Wizard does something like that.

Dragonmarks give you cantrips and spells of notable level but it's a UA Eberron thing. Can give you conjure animals, fabricate, some good shit.
>>
>>52413235
>stealth
>6 people
wew
>>
File: 1462477225093.jpg (28KB, 350x335px) Image search: [Google]
1462477225093.jpg
28KB, 350x335px
>>52413988
>Resistance
You are fake news.
>>
>>52414162
Yup, I am giving them a pass without trace though so it should be fine.
>>
During combat that's already at the 4th round, how do you handle surprise when say a second group of goblins are gonna jump the players who are fighting their current foes?

Do I just rule that the surprised players don't get to do their turns/reactions in the next round?
>>
>>52414203
From what I recall about the rules, they probably get their own turn, and the initial group of goblins is surprised as well, so only the new goblins get their turn. But they all have to beat passive perception and all that.

Or, they should be on the turn order already, and when their turn comes around they get to act.
>>
>>52414195
It depends on the DM.

A lot of things can be helped by resistance. Mostly:
>Using dangerous-looking items
>Dealing with traps
>For use before combat (As a superior alternative to guidance which is honestly just +initiative)
>Ongoing effects
>>
>>52414203
>how do you handle surprise

Are the PCs aware of any foes? At all? Even one? Then they can't be surprised.
>>
>>52414203
Personally I pick someone closest to where the new group is showing up, have them make a perception check against goblin stealth. If they fail then it acts as a surprise round that interrupts the combat, depending on how you do initiative, it'd be at the start of the monsters turn then they get a round in the normal flow.

Another way is they show up on say initiative count 20 get their surprise round then combat resumes as normal and they go with the other goblins.
>>
>>52414203
It isn't possible.
The players are already in combat. Combat happens, what, 0.001% of their life?
They're high on adrenaline, they're constantly checking their surroundings and ready to expect ambushes.

You can't ambush them, because it's one of the very few times in their life they're in a fight and they're ready to fight anything right from the get-go.

Instead, the group of goblins should take advantage of the fact the players are busy - they can shoot from a distance without worry the players will immediately mow them down, and they can get advantage on their first shots (unseen attackers) and they can hide away guerilla combat style if they feel threatened, etc.

How on earth would the goblins break time to get an extra round? The players aren't gonna go 'Oh shit, goblins' and pause for 6 seconds because someone shot them from behind to let them shoot again.

Surprise really just says 'You were having a peaceful meal and you need 6 seconds to get your mind in gear for combat'.
>>
>>52413455
Guidance, Spare the Dying, Shillelagh depending on build.
>>
>>52414346
Spare the dying doesn't do anything a healer's kit can't.

But if you have a familiar, I suppose it's a pretty good idea to get it because you can use it at range.
>>
>>52408706
3 lvl 20 Tomb of Horrors is pretty fun
>>
I'm not new to the concept of Tabletop, but I've been away from D&D for a while. Never got to play much but as the foreverGM of my group, they've asked to play 5th ed, and i'm not against it. I think it will be really fun to return to my roots (so to speak)

I got the players handbook and the GM guide and the monster Manual. Figure that should be enough to start with.

One thing that keeps bugging me, that I can never seem to get over though: I know what weak monsters are (Animals, Goblins, Orks, small magical animals, Zombies, Skeletons, etc.). I know what strong monsters are (Golems, Mind flayers, Liches, Large magical animals).

But where are the medium-leveled monsters? Anything that I see that is 'supposed' to be a medium leveled monster (Like, say Mind flayers) can OHK people with what seems like minimal effort.

Have I just been brainwashed by other games, and have faulty memories of D&D 3.5 from my youth? Can I expect my party to be strong enough to face a creature that is able to brainwash someone at will, and can extract their brains for a kill in a single attack? Or is there some rule of thumb I need to know?
>>
>>52414376
Correct, that's the reason to have it.
>>
>>52412162
It's literally impossible to avoid killing humans in droves.
>>
The Waterdhaiven Noble background in SCAG mentions that there are 75 noble lineages in Waterdeep. Would it be too snowflakey to make a character from one of those bloodlines?
>>
>>52414396
Succubi, cambions, mages, hags, flameskulls, ettins, ghosts, main 4 elementals.

5e CR isn't like 3e CR, except in general intent. CR 4 isn't "low level" monster, its mid level unless its a solo encounter.
>>
>>52412162
Batman is a billionaire and can to some degree use law enforcement's help, at least in somewhat containing antagonists after he defeats them.
It'll be WAY harder for PCs.
>>
>>52414430
Except that you can choose to deal nonlethal.

Now, you can't prevent party members from finishing enemies off, but that's another matter. You can totally be Kenshin.
>>
>>52414447
>5e CR isn't like 3e CR, except in general intent.

Alright, that's good to know. Still cautious on the matter, but that is helpful. Thanks Anon.
>>
>>52411075
>the class thats fluff is supposed to be invention and item use is just a boring sniper
10/10 wotc tier design
>>
>>52414436
No. Hell, there's nothing wrong with the PCs being regents.
>>
>>52414396
CR will be your guide for your beginnings, but it will never be perfect. The medium enemies, like, 3-5, should be your best bet but they can also beat ass. Winter Wolfs and Elementals can fuck a party over.

But your party can pump out some good damage, start small, and learn what they can do. Then you can grow different enemies at them of varying CR. Be careful of enemies that can do as he mind flayer does, Sea Hag, banshee, all not good.
>>
>>52414346
>>52413988
>>52413496
Why do people keep advocating Shillelagh?
You're almost always better off using Eldritch Blast, for a number of reasons.
>d10 hit die
>Range
>Ability to attack multiple times at higher levels
>Various enhancements using Eldritch Invocations
Seriously, even if you do get into melee it seems like a better use of your action would be to Disengage rather than Shillelagh then Attack. Unless I was specifically planning to use it I would never take it on tomelock.
>>
File: Codex Arcana 2 White.pdf (1MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Codex Arcana 2 White.pdf
1MB, 1x1px
It is done, friends.
I've compiled the last Unearthed Arcanas into the last Codex I got.

(I skipped Mass Combat and Traps Revisited)
>>
>>52414536
PAM Shillelagh is for reactions with a 1d10+Cha mod when someone approaches within 5 ft of you.
>>
>>52414536
With booming blade and green flame blade, it's a better option when you've forced to fight in close quarters, unless you can reliably hit at close range and have the 10ft pushback thing.

It also opens you up for potential multiclassing into something like paladin.
>>
File: 1308529394684.jpg (109KB, 800x544px) Image search: [Google]
1308529394684.jpg
109KB, 800x544px
>>52414536
I said depending on build.

Meaning Shillelagh works on melee multiclasses like Palalock or the odd Sorlock gish build or you took a level of Fighter and are rocking Shield+Medium Armor so you stand your ground and boop the enemy on the head with Green Flame Blade or Booming Blade.

For squishy backline Warlocks, yeah just either disengage or hit with Shocking Grasp and walk away, or just shoot Eldritch Blast.
>>
Are Battleragers actually proficient with spiked armor attacks? The text implies it but never states it explicitly.
>>
File: 1366838553658.png (83KB, 790x773px) Image search: [Google]
1366838553658.png
83KB, 790x773px
>halflling warlock
>want to take dimension door but I'm the smallest person in the party
>>
>>52414466
>Hey man what's with the huge cage on wheels?
>Oh well I don't kill and instead lock my foes in this and drop them off at the nearest town with guards for justice.
>>
>>52414722
Put them into a bag of holding, take the bag, dimension door through and open the bag. Dimension Door's instantaneous, so they're not going to suffocate.
>>
Ignore you use reincarnation on a person who died of old age will it work? I don't think the spell states that it won't
>>
>>52414722
Fuck'em they can figure out how to get to safety on their own, and now you can get to a better vantage point for eldritch blasting.
>>
>>52414589
>>52414690
Acknowledged. I was rather sweeping in my comment.
To add some nuance to what I was saying, I don't think it's a bad cantrip, just one that I wouldn't recommend without knowing the player's planned build.
>>52414615
I actually hadn't thought about the interactions with BB or GFB. I think Shocking Grasp or straight using an action to Disengage would be better for someone specced into EB though.
>>
File: 1489520830531.jpg (42KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
1489520830531.jpg
42KB, 600x800px
>>52414558
Very nice, have this as payment for your hard work.
>>
>>52414812
Please don't ignore I have no idea how that got there
>>
>>52414812
That's the whole point of reincarnation compared to, say, resurrection.
>>
Is there a place where I can find all of the noble houses/lineages of Waterdeep and maybe a little about each one?
>>
>>52414812
Depends on what he magic crafts as a new body, so it's up to the DM. It may be an elderly individual. It may be a prime example of an adult of the race, could be a loli.

It's all up to the DM how the magic does it. But it should be able to bring back someone who dies of old age.
>>
File: ScanVisorMP1GC.jpg (166KB, 620x466px) Image search: [Google]
ScanVisorMP1GC.jpg
166KB, 620x466px
>Slayer's Eye
We're going for 100% logbook completion boys
>>
>>52414908

Waterdeep and he North was a 1e product that handled that. I'm not 1005 sure if there is something more recent.
>>
>>52414396

http://kobold.club/fight/

This should help a lot.
>>
>>52414908

Waterdeep and the North
Volo's Guide to Waterdeep

I think there was one called City of Splendors but that might be a module.
>>
>>52414908
http://forum.nwnights.ru/uploads/rulebooks/Forgotten_Realms/Waterdeep.pdf
>>
File: amistupid.jpg (55KB, 559x264px) Image search: [Google]
amistupid.jpg
55KB, 559x264px
New DM here. How do you guys handle higher ground in your games during melee combat?
>>
>>52414812
Previous versions of the spell clarified that the new body was one of a young adult, so I still rule it that way.
>>
>>52414836
If you're specced for EB, EB is much better. Sure, you might have disadvantage, but if you hit then the enemy is pushed back 10ft and you can move 30ft further away and continue to make attacks until you've made all of them, which could be more if you've multiclassed into sorcerer.
Or, if you are multiclassed into sorcerer, twinning booming blade only costs 1 sorcerery point and you can quicken it too, which is better than eldritch blasting when it comes down to it, if you don't want to push enemies around. Especially if you have the mobile feat.

If you're not specced for EB (agonizing blast only), all the more reason to have it as if you're not planning to get away then you'll do just about the same level of damage depending on your charimsa modifier and if you activate the secondary effects, but won't suffer disadvantage within 5ft.

You can also use it alongside a magical weapon if you ever get a quarterstaff or club, I suppose.

Still, shillelagh definitely isn't necessary if you're not planning to multiclass, but it's a rather special utility whereas other cantrips don't offer a lot.
>>
>>52415095
I shout "It's over! I have the high ground, don't even try!"
>>
File: img_0273_1.jpg (1010KB, 1924x1578px) Image search: [Google]
img_0273_1.jpg
1010KB, 1924x1578px
Is it worth doing a megadungeon in the middle of the campaign? As a DM of course. I've never DM'd a dungeon crawl myself but my players are showing interest in spending days and sessions in exploring dungeons. I feel something like Undermountain can work and I can fill it up with what I want.

That said, any tips? Do I just let them explore everything square by square? I have to admit, as intimidated as I am, I'm actually excited about it but at the same time concerned I might screw up and bore my players.
>>
>>52415183
Most players are too ADD tweaky to do square at a time, so I do it like major room at a time and have some empty tunnels etc. Not every square is going to be full of stuff.
>>
How would you recreate a character who's impersonating a paladin?
>>
Do halflings just never roll 1's due to their lucky trait?
>>
File: 1458186991575.jpg (116KB, 754x960px) Image search: [Google]
1458186991575.jpg
116KB, 754x960px
Running a raven warlock in a friend's campaign on Friday.

I heard a lot of people hate the Raven Queen, why is that? It honestly seemed like one of the most unconventional choices for a patron and I couldn't see myself pulling a character like this off without her.
>>
>>52415306
No, 1/400 chance normally.
>>
>>52415306
"lightfoot diviner with lucky feat"
>>
>>52415304
A fighter who acts as paladin, wears paladin armor and hits zombies really hard to "smite" them
>>
File: Illithid.pdf (2MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Illithid.pdf
2MB, 1x1px
rate, hate, hate some more.
would you allow this at your table, and if so, under what circumstances/setting?
>>
File: Paladin Samus Helmet.jpg (306KB, 1100x1366px) Image search: [Google]
Paladin Samus Helmet.jpg
306KB, 1100x1366px
>>52414960
Well, shit. That new Ranger conclave really does fit a Samus-like Build.
How would you make a Samus Aran Build anyway?
>>
>>52415449
>Playable illithids
No. Fuck you.
>>
>>52415304
A cleric who never paid attention with spellcasting and more hitting shit hard. But his lack of self confidence stops him from being able to take the paladin oath, and falls back to being a cleric, or half a paladin.
>>
>>52415478
Something something eldritch blast.
Something something heavy magical armor.
Something something ranger with seeker's eye.
>>
>>52415449
Nope.
>>
>>52409847

If you like Acquisition Inc and aren't annoyed by dumb names, it's alright.
>>
>>52410064

Anywhere that sells miniatures presumably sells bases. Use an iota of thought.
>>
>>52409847
The table felt, too...how should I say this? Semitic.
>>
Tales from the yawning portal is a thing, but are there any other older modules you liked that could be converted?

4E downwards, really.
>>
File: IG_3879_1.jpg (61KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
IG_3879_1.jpg
61KB, 500x375px
>>52409783

http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/forest/latest/77184

$7 treant man, go for it.
>>
>>52415574
No i as asking for recommendations.
>>
>>52415638
I would but I'm not really into mini painting
>>
>>52415311
Could be the whole association to Critical Role, could be people misinterpret the way she treats death, who knows if it works for you and you like it fuck it.
>>
>>52408121

Uuh, y'all do know that Fabricate is also a 4th level spell right?
>>
>>52409783
buy a bonsai tree
>>
>>52415449
Same as every thread fuck off, its a niche race that can only be played in a very narrow campaign idea.
>>
>>52415762
Don't you have to take really good care of those
>>
File: Hekaton.jpg (13KB, 150x182px) Image search: [Google]
Hekaton.jpg
13KB, 150x182px
>>52415449
Stop shilling your shitty homebrew.
>>
>>52415700
>>52415716

http://www.em4miniatures.com/acatalog/MINIAATURES_BASES.html

Bottom, pack of 5x 50mm bases for next to nothing, probably best deal you can find despite only needing one.

Honestly just wash it and paint it brown with dollar store acrylic brown paint and a cheapo brush. Still gonna look better than a stick.
>>
>>52415311
The Raven Queen's big start was in 4E; that alone drives people over the edge. In addition, her godhood and domain are unlike most gods (literally was some semi-powerful woman who gave a previous god of death the boot before setting up shop and taking mantle). Her macabre Shadowfell atmosphere, while in flavor fairly tasty, attracts the worst of the worst for players. Tack on Crit Role bringing her to the lime-light, and you have a serving of hatred for her.

I like her though.
>>
>>52415449
the psionics needs some progression to it, otherwise it's just one thing
>>
>>52409241
VHuman Paladin of Ancients, sword and board, Defensive style, Feats: Magic Initiate for Shield spell, Heavy Armor Master.
>>
File: mearls.png (201KB, 607x342px) Image search: [Google]
mearls.png
201KB, 607x342px
What happened?
>>
>>52415960
damaging talents scale naturally but anything else would be too powerful.
>>52415483
>>52415567
>>52415779
>>52415827
ok, i'll stop now.
>>
I wanna play a gnarly Dwarven Cleric.
Gimme yer most munchkin, war-crime builds.
>>
File: 1480550410087.gif (446KB, 300x186px) Image search: [Google]
1480550410087.gif
446KB, 300x186px
>>52415941
Me and my friends got into D&D because of CR
>>
>>52416017
Stopped wearing the hair piece, or lost it

>>52416027
Thank you, it's an interesting idea but everyone always says it easily would lead to conflict and metagaming to avoid problems.
>>
>>52416037
I dig Crit Role as well, but it's the curse of popularity:
>it's unpopular
>autists with shit taste
>it's popular
>sheeple with shit taste
>>
Are the Andevturers Legue and third party publishers like Kobold Press any good? Would like to hear something about them before getting the material.
>>
>>52416027
>talent scales anything else is too much
but that's just one cantrip, hell just give them one spell and another spell at level 5 or something
>>
>Slayer's Eye
Okay how is this not complete and utter fucking bullshit?
>>
>>52409207

Sounds like a Kenku more than an Aaracokra, but sure.
>>
Where the fuck is my Escape Plan
>>
>>52415449
What the hell does give tentacleface +1 CHA?
>>
My players are fucking stupid. They've decided that after fighting a particularly tough guy and his 4 bodyguards, taking a lot of damage and wasting spell slots, it would be a good idea to take a long rest.

The problem is that the ship is still in the midst of repelling boarders, and the captain is fighting for her life against the enemy leader. How do I tell them that they're dumb without just letting them be captured or scuttled with the ship?
>>
>>52416195
Psionic compulsion.
>>
>>52416197
You have them attacked by boarders at the start of their long rest.
>>
>>52415800
do you not take good care of your tree buddy?
>>
>>52416295
I have no idea how to take care of a tiny tree buddy
>>
>>52416197
You didn't set the setting obviously enough for them. Make sure they're aware of the situation.

Maybe they'll try hiding in the luggage instead or try clinging to the side of the ship, or anything really.
>>
>>52416368
sounds like a perfect chance to learn.

http://www.bonsaiboy.com/catalog/indoorbonsaicare.html
>>
>>52415827
It's not technically shilling if he admits he wrote it
>>
If you want the best lore, which is edition of DnD do I choose to steal from?
>>
>>52409807

Any train miniature shops will sell you trees for a nickel a pound
>>
>>52416454
None of them.
>>
So now with the Redemption Paladin to lead them can I build an entire party of Magical Girls? Maybe a reflavored Warlock here a glamor Bard there and we are off. What other classes could fit in?
>>
> About to start a new campaign in a few days that's an open world sandbox with my 2 players set in an expy of the Empire from fantasy
> PC that's gonna play a barbarian demands an irish halfling fighter / clockwork engineer waifu that can build shit and fight
> At lv1
> Also demands that I give the wizard a charmcaster expy waifu from Ben 10 Omniverse even though I never watched that series as well

Is it wrong that I don't want to comply?
>>
>>52416466
Sun Soul monk, and Light Cleric
>>
>>52416195
elder brains are 21 int, 19 wis and 24 cha; ulitharids are 21 int, 19 wis and 21 cha; and given, both mind flayers and alhoons are 19 int 17 wis 17 cha so i imagine them starting with even mental stats and then pumping int or cha in the brain's case.

Also vanilla squids are proficient in arcana, insight, perception, deception and persuasion, while having proficiency in all mental saving throws... and warlocks need cha.

>>52416131
I mean, not every racial trait has to scale. Halflings don't get any scaling traits, and there's some races that just get one cantrip and nothing else, like forest gnomes.
I don't feel it needs to be pureblood levels of mechanically packed, with the scaling innate spellcasting, full magic resitance and elemental immunity.
>>
File: Ooze Master.png (360KB, 560x560px) Image search: [Google]
Ooze Master.png
360KB, 560x560px
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/classes.html#Monk,Way%20of%20the%20Drunken%20Master%20(UA)

The latest UA is now in 5etools.
>>
>>52416106
I get some of the hate but it brings in more people, for better or for worse, and that's what any company needs to survive.

That and it's awesome watch Mercer come up with all this, Travis and Sam are the other main reason I keep watching.
>>
>>52416503
No, not at all, that sounds like an abomination.
>>
>>52416385
Oh my that's a lot of work for a tiny tree
>>
>>52416503
Not at all
>>
>>52416551

thanks mega anon. How are we going with the Yawning Portal beasts?
>>
>>52416584
but he'll be your best tree buddy in the world
>>
>>52416621
Already in there.
>>
>>52416628
But anon. He might not survive transport between sessions
>>
File: coolbro.png (2KB, 184x172px) Image search: [Google]
coolbro.png
2KB, 184x172px
>>52416551
You are a gentleman and a scholar
>>
>>52416139
Cause you could just have proficiency in nature or Arcana and make a check for the same thing.
>>
>>52416654
But it's only $30, what have you got to lose?
>>
>>52416634

You're the true monster of them all. The awesome monster
>>
>>52416689
$30 and my will to live
>>
>>52416707
you haven't lost the latter years ago?

you're doing better than the rest of us, I guess.
>>
Is it reasonable to end a game when the players aren't showing interest anymore?

They're still in the game, but they're never into it, if you know what I mean. Not to mention, on phones or distracted for half of the session. It's just not working well anymore.
>>
>>52416726
I'm not risking my will to live over a tiny tree that I will kill
>>
>>52416767
As always, just talk to your players.
>>
>>52416767
No, you're supposed to tough the game out even if it's unfun garbage.

What do you think?
>>
>>52416810
But the unfun garbage part has been going on for months. I'm just kinda tired of it.

>>52416794
I've actually tried. They're not great with making changes.
>>
>>52416851
the garbage suggestion was obviously implying that you Shouldn't

How about "Hey Player, I'm thinking about shutting down this campaign due to lack of interest. What do you think about this?"

If you feel polite, ask how they individually feel about the game first. If you feel clever and still want to DM in general, mention that you'll be continuing with a one shot or whatever for interested players/invite some other people from the world to play that
>>
>>52416672
That's up to DM discretion. This just says "lol nah show me the page in the MM, rules say I can".

In addition it's basically a free extra Hunter's Mark that keeps getting better. It outclasses one of the ranger's own signature spells. Like they wanted it to be contingent on Hunter's Mark in the first place but then they remembered Rangers don't necessarily have to take it but then they were like fuck it. And besides, the other, rare class abilities that tell you opponents' stats are given at much higher levels, take longer to use, don't grant additional damage, and give less information. It seems weird to make this a lvl 3 ability.

But I think the worst thing is that from an RP perspective, you're playing a monster hunter, but there's no need to actually learn anything about the monsters you're hunting because you can magically learn it the moment you lay eyes on one.

Could at least just make it contingent on Hunter's Mark, or require some sort of check equal to 10+ the monster's CR, or something.
>>
File: Star Trap.jpg (133KB, 900x924px) Image search: [Google]
Star Trap.jpg
133KB, 900x924px
So I've got this idea for a campaign. I was reading in Volos about how Beholders break the will of people and enslave them, so I was thinking that I wanted to do a campaign where the party was already subservient to the beholder and that eventually, they would break free.

So the beholder is one of non identical twins who fled after being born as its sibling battled with the parent. Is has spent the past 300 or so years as the secret leader of a towns thieves guild, as it gets to hear rumours and appraise magic items that come through in case they're useful.

Now I want to be able to impart the rumour about the background of the Beholder, but I don't know how to do that given that their existence is supposed to be secret.

My eventual plan, once they get to a high enough level is to have the beholder send the party out to kill its sibling who has just resurfaced, and once they realise they can kill a beholder, have to get through the already raised defences of their former masters

Problem is, I want to drop info in the meantime, but I don't know how. Any advice?
>>
>>52416851
If they are showing up they are interested, why not blindside them with something that would get their attention. Kill one of them.
>>
>>52408706
I'd run the TftYP Tomb at 9th level personally. They pussified a lot of the trap damage so I'd want HP to be kind of small, but still give the PCs Raise Dead and Greater Restoration, so they can recover from some of the bullshit the tomb throws out.
>>
>>52416572
>>52416605

Worst part is he's a closet weaboo and also goes on a rant if you used the word waifu.

I'm planning on just rolling up basic stats and just declare random percentile roll for him to meet her so he won't complain as much.

Anyhow, I'm planning on starting my PCs out in a province that's constantly being attacked/raided by undead. What are some ways to make my PCs feel invested in it? Add some NPCs that they meet once in a while to chum up with?
>>
>>52416851
Even if they're dishonest, they'll likely drop a subtle hint that they don't want the game to go on if you ask them.
If you don't notice any subtle hints at all or they say 'no, wait, I actually like this' then... Maybe you're interpretting things wrong?

Sometimes people simply enjoy being in the company of others sometimes.

Consider spicing things up with new things. Also do other stuff at the place like watch TV if it's at a house, maybe.
>>
>the ranger's werebear curse is gonna kick in today
oh boy.
>>
>>52416944
Everything is up to DM discretion, they make the rules.

It might be more interesting togive it more conditions but this is playtest. It's not garbage at all though a monster hunter should be able to get something like this.

Improved hunter's mark shouldn't be a thing cause it's not a guaranteed pick. It could be double proficiency in nature checks against creatures, and the creature can be tracked magically. And throw something combat in.
>>
>>52416503
Waifus aside, you're being asked to provide DMPCs for a small party. Consult with other player, and make decisions with that in mind.
>>
>>52417012
>werebear
I hope you enjoy him getting that 2 2d10+4 bites per turn
>>
>>52417089
yeah it's gonna hurt
but i run a lot of high power nonsense games anyways
>>
>>52417128
If it's that type of campaign and you're prepared then yeah you'll be fine
There's also the extension of the ranger getting to wield large sized weapons while in hybrid form.
Which is pretty cool though it can feel pretty terrible when the fucker's swinging 4d6+4 damage per attack
>>
>>52417183
yeah i figure it's gonna be bonkers
but i go for high power stuff anyways, like one PC is playing the dragon rider from the DM's guild
others haven't gotten their turn to get some high power stuff but they will (especially you, rogue reading this)
>>
>>52417053
>Everything is up to DM discretion, they make the rules.
Point is, with nature/arcana checks, you can handle it on a case by case basis based on things like the rarity of the creature, the appropriateness of the check, and how much opportunity you have to study it, and perhaps even give misinformation on a spectacularly failed check. Instead of a foolproof way to tell any monster's strengths and weaknesses at a glance that you can choose to either allow in your game in its entirety or not.

>Improved hunter's mark shouldn't be a thing cause it's not a guaranteed pick.
It could be part of the Slayer's additional spell list.
>>
>>52416986
Look him dead in the eye and say "you're waifu is a slut" then turn 360 and moon walk out of there.

On a serious note tell him to make his own companion if he wants one that bad. As for getting them to care, imply the waifus are in danger of being gang boned by skeletons and it's gonna be really spooky if that happens.
>>
>>52416963
Do not have the thought brains to give you actual assistance, but also read about Beholder reproduction in Volos.
>>
>>52416963
They capture someone who hunts beholders, or an agent of the other beholder that isn't their boss.
>>
>>52416944
>In addition it's basically a free extra Hunter's Mark that keeps getting better.
It's a remarkably similar damage boost to Primeval Guardian, Horizon Walker and the Hunter's option for a similar thing. I think at this point it's reasonable to assume that most Ranger subclasses get a 1d6-1d8 damage boost that may require a Bonus Action somewhere to use. So if it's stepping on Hunter's Mark's toes then so are all those abilities apparently.
>>
How much of an asshole would I be to roll up a Draconic Sorcerer Yaun-Ti pure blood for an AL character
>>
>>52416139
You deal, what, extra damage once per turn?

How's that much different from hunter with colossus slayer except you have to use a bonus action to use it?

I do agree that the 'you automatically know shit' is a bit much. It really should be 'As part of this bonus action, you can make a check to recall information about the monster' and some sort of bonus to identifying monsters.
>>
>>52417449
Not really. Sadly you can't get much out of being a Green Dragon Sorcerer though.
>>
>>52417481
How good of a character concept is it than?
>>
>>52417449
While I'd normally say 'fuck yuan-ti pureblood' I'd say it's acceptable considering sorcerers aren't exactly crazy powerful or anything.

You try that shit on a bard and I'd gut you over the table.

Poison dragon sorcerer is honestly absolutely terrible. I'd at least find a different sorcerer archetype and pick up poison spells.
>>
File: 1428565074436.jpg (48KB, 500x672px) Image search: [Google]
1428565074436.jpg
48KB, 500x672px
>>52414558
>>52414857
Gotta pay the man a little more than that.
>>
>>52417578
So tempted to roll up a yaun-ti bard now but I value my life

The thing about AL is that you can only have one book other that PHB and Volos eats that right up so it's either Draconic or Wild Magic
>>
>>52417649
About time for a new thread.
>>
>>52417641
You know, it's AL, you're allowed to be an obnoxious piece of shit and the DM can't stop you, right? Yuan-ti bard might be allowed so you can stroll in with your poison immunity and magic resistance and other goodies on a +2 charisma race who doesn't need much else.
>>
>>52417676
I've been playing with the people at AL for a while now and I'm pretty sure they don't hate me and wouldn't murder me over a single asshole character.

Bards aren't really my style anyways and I want to play a sorcerer so would wild magic be a better fit? Never even touched that archetype before before
>>
>>52417449
As I understand it, AL is the place you go if you want to Win at DnD. That's as good a reason as any.
>>
>>52417728
The problem with wild mage is it involves the DM to actually use the whole thing your archetype is about. Me I'm a little better at it because I keep in mind:
1)how is her character dealing with this situation?
2)if fire is present (she's terrified of it) how is she acting? Overly upset then make a save and roll on that table with a failure.
3)I roll a percentile in a high concentration of magic, 50 or above make a save and roll on fail.

Like I said it practically gives up a part of your character to the whim of the DM. Me I'll give my PCs as much rope as they want to hang themselves with.
>>
>>52417728
Wild Magic lives and dies by DM fiat (It's main draw and power is constant advantage, but relies on a "your DM can have you roll" line) . Draconic is where you go if you're playing AL, guaranteed.
>>
>>52417206
yeah, now that's fun
I don't understand all the losers who don't like high power stuff and instead want to be shitty weak weine
>>
How do I stealthy hint that my PCs might be in a MtG campaign?

So far in my world map, I have 5 provinces, each with a different colored text for the names for the kingdom they're currently in.

With a hidden "6" province that stretches the entire world which is a hidden giant hedron/pyramid containing an extremely weak Eldrazi titan that will be awakened when enough wizards fuck up the world in the current world war.
>>
>>52418255
If each of the provinces are themed around the colours, that should be enough.
>>
>>52419277
You overestimate players.
Thread posts: 411
Thread images: 37

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.