[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Surprise! The ring you just put on is cursed. >>I cut

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 311
Thread images: 25

File: IMG_3645.jpg (44KB, 460x292px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3645.jpg
44KB, 460x292px
>Surprise! The ring you just put on is cursed.
>>I cut off my finger
Why would this work or not work?
>>
>>52400062
the wizard is a crafty fucker, who makes the ring cast a harmfull spell or curse if it still contacts flesh on the inside without being actually attached to something with a soul,
>>
>>52400062
What's the curse?
>>
>>52400062
It would, but only if you can bring yourself to do it.
>>
It already cursed you when you put it on. Now you're cursed AND missing a finger.
>>
Cursed items are just stupid. Like, look at this shit.
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Necklace_of_Strangulation
>I put on the necklace that comes up with all magical detection as not dangerous.
>Surprise! Take 6 damage every round until its removed.
>Dispel magic doesn't work
>Blink doesn't work
>Remove curse doesn't work
>Greater Dispel magic fails
>Disjunction fails
>Grease + escape artist fails
>Sunder attempts fail
>Sorry, you're dead. You should have cast wish.
>>
>>52400062
Being attached to the item magical makes it laugh at you cutting your finger off.
>>
>>52400149
This anon is right, cursed items in 3.5 were fucking bullshit. And that's not mentioning "creative" DMs with their retarded homebrew curses.
>>
>>52400149
What a stupid fucking notion.
>>
>>52400097
A vague and permanent sense of existential dread in addition to the creeping suspicion that you're not living life as you should.
>>
>>52400267
Sounds like business as usual.
>>
>>52400062
Because you put the ring on your dick.
>>
File: 7551poster.jpg (15KB, 420x420px) Image search: [Google]
7551poster.jpg
15KB, 420x420px
>Surprise! The ring you just put on is malevolent.
>>What? Um, I take it off.
>That won't really help.
Would this be a dick move?
>>
>>52400287
It also gives you the slight sensation of needing to piss, regardless of how many times you've already been. Not a lot, not enough to bother you during the day, but just enough to make it difficult to go to sleep.
>>
File: 1480864720569.jpg (39KB, 348x333px) Image search: [Google]
1480864720569.jpg
39KB, 348x333px
>>52400149

This was also one of the stupidest things in Nethack, which was already a pretty stupid game.

And no, before you give me shit, I've beaten Nethack. I ain't no bitch.

Anyway, most cursed items in D&D resist being discarded. It might make the thought of cutting off your finger unacceptable, or appear on another finger when you wake up the next day.
>>
>>52400189
If a player picks up a magic item, they know is magic and don't even attempt to identify it for more than 3 sessions, I automatically make it cursed. They have not yet caught on.
>>
>>52400378

Sounds like business as usual.
>>
>>52400097
Well, you see, it's paired with another ring, and, um.

Ever heard of the Stepford Wives?
>>
>>52400062
>Why would this work or not work?
magic
>>
>>52400062
Either

>Okay, now one of your fingers is cut off.

or

>You try to cut it off, but the curse puts you in massive pain and you are forced to stop.
>>
>>52400376
Yeah. Kinda is. No skill checks, no ways to avoid it, just BAM. Your character is crippled.
Like how a set of Armor of Arrow Attraction gives you a whopping -15 AC against ranged attacks.
>>
>>52400062
I'd say it'd depend on the intent.

Some curses might not be worth losing a finger over, and can be easily rectified. Others might make the act entirely impossible, or else rob your ability to do so (I recall a ring from a game that would set your Intelligence and Wisdom to 3, good luck forming coherent thoughts with that)

Furthermore, the situation may depend. A ring that slows your movement may not be a big deal, give the cleric 8 hours to queue up a fresh instance of remove curse, but when a fucking Wyvern is bearing down on you, whilst you were too distracted looting the corpses to notice, more drastic actions may be called for.

Beyond that, there are some pretty good examples cited here, such as the ring may be soulbound in some way, and just end up on a new finger, or even embedded in your flesh eventually.
>>
>>52400062
>"I cut of my finger!"
>Roll will save and/or wisdom check
>*fails*
>Y-YOU JUST CAN'T DO IT, MAN! YOU JUST CAN'T!

Anyone who can instantly chop off a part of their character's body without a second thought is a bad roleplayer, so treat them as a rollplayer instead. If basic human instinct isn't reflected in your character, it'll be reflected in your stats instead. I'm sick of dealing with edgy self-destructive "It's what my character would do!" spergs in my games.
>>
No. The GM has dictated that you will be cursed so no method possible, besides one he carefully lays out, will end the curse. Not even death because he'll fudge your saves and keep you alive until his plot succeeds.
>>
>>52400267
>>52400378
I'm not sure this ring is magic at all.
>>
Make a will save to not bitch out. Your companions can restrain you and forcibly cut off the finger, if you manage to convince them.

Next morning the ring will appear on a different finger. If you run out of fingers, toe. If you run out of toes, your cock
>>
>>52400534
Complete bullshit. Animals will chew off their own fucking legs to get out of traps, and they don't even know what's waiting if they don't. Humans aren't any better. I'd sure as fuck cut off my finger to avoid some horrible curse.
>>
>>52400582
if you run out of cock?
or already dont have one?
>>
>>52400552
Must be magic if he can't take it off.
>>
>>52400588
Animals also lack the complicated intelligence of a human. Most animals can't plan long term like a human can, and just react to instant OH FUCK moments.
>>
>>52400588
No, you wouldn't, you pussy.
>>
You cut off the finger but the ring floats in place where it was
>>
>>52400534
This.

Same reason you wouldn't instantly behead a pickpocket on the street or kill an orc baby without being an edgelord CE.
>>
I'm starting to get Head of Vecna vibes from this thread.
>>
>>52400605
It becomes embedded in your skin
>>
>>52400605
Well presumably if it can fit around each finger and my cock without falling off, it can change size, so arms, legs, maybe after a while it becomes a piercing
>>
>>52400628
Alternatively, you successfully cut your finger off. The ring holds it together and keeps the curse in effect. Now you've got all the fun of suffering from a severed finger PLUS your finger is constantly rubbing up against the stump!
>>
>>52400641
Eventually it becomes a collar around your neck.
>>
>>52400658
can it do that first?

That's hot. Just launch it out and latch it around my neck when I open a chest.
>>
>>52400619
Chewing your leg off is not an instant OH FUCK. It's the only choice when the other option is starving the death. Also where the fuck do you get intelligence as being limiting factor in cutting my finger off. If the fucking curse is worse than the loss of a finger (which losing a finger isn't a massive deal anyways), I sure as fuck am gonna cut my finger off, that's the intelligent decisions.
>>
>>52400706
Steve Jobs, a multimillionaire with higher IQ than you, didn't get a lifesaving but painful cancer treatment.
>>
>>52400062
>cut off ring finger
>cursed ring is suddenly on a different finger
>>
>>52400706
It always confused me in a setting where magical restoration exists, why people don't just cut off a finger. You might as well try, the cleric can just fix it via his god
>>
>>52400534
>YOU CAN'T DO IT
>"Quick, other guy in my party, cut off my finger!"
>>
>>52400062
It would work. At least in my games. But they would need to make some sort of save to cause themselves that kind of bodily harm.
>>
>>52400752
>Steve Jobs
>High IQ
Pick one

He didn't bother wearing a condom, and was
Pick one
>>
>>52400766
It always confused me in a setting where ressurection exists (and at lower level than Regeneration), why people just don't kill themselves as a solution to most problems. Cursed item? Kill yourself, have someone take it off, find a cleric. Debt? Kill yourself, find cleric in a nearby city.
>>
>>52400062
>cut the finger
>the ring stays on it
>a copy of you grows back from the finger
>if you hurt it, it hurts you the same

Ring of Fuck You
>>
>>52400784
Congratulations on your world-spanning business empire built entirely by your own hands and intellect, anon.
>>
>>52400769
Punch yourself as hard as you can in the balls.
Even if you know its to help yourself, it fucking hard because it goes against all natural instincts

>>52400812
Resurrection is expensive though
And with higher level PCs, I've seen this solution
>>
>>52400097
It makes your finger fall off
>>
>>52400843
I would just have somebody else punch me in the balls. I would screw up my eyes and look away and tell them not to give me any warning.
>>
>>52400843
Did they turn CE as a result? Pretty sure grievous self-harm and mutilation is one of the things only evil people do in D&D, anon.
>>
>>52400609
Did we ever establish that?
>>
>>52400865
I think we are arguing the same point. I may have misread the green text

What you just said is the correct thing
>>
>>52400609
>>52400609

That's still not magic, just fear of paying alimony from a divorce court system that needs reform.
>>
>>52400890
>Enchanted Cockring of Returning
>>
>>52400609
that's the curse

the curse is you can't take it off. That's it.
>>
>>52400376
>Would this be a dick move?
No, they should have had a hireling test it.
Come join us in /osrg/
>>
>>52400879
They didn't kill themselves. They murdered a village girl who had been cursed.

And yeah, I'd agree its a pretty evil action.
Cleric took some major flak for it from her god.

I don't really do alignment though. I find its ridiculous to boil down actions to a grid. The cleric only took heat because they didn't try a whole lot of other things. It was a quick dispel magic then straight to murder. She agreed with them and didn't try to defend the terrified girl
>>
>>52400940
I honestly don't see the problem with alignments. I always just treated them as a rule of thumb for how your character sees and reacts to things, not a rigid guideline.
>>
>>52400940
I hope the next step was the party rogue going "Hey. Lissen kid, life on the streets isn't so bad. Your mom just got you killed, you might wanna go out there and seek greener pastures"
>>
>>52400534
I don't know what kind of characters you play but most adventurers are exactly the kind of people who can cut off their own finger.
>>
>>52400982
Most adventurers are good, well adjusted people who are out there to help their family or village. You're thinking of filthy murderhobos.
>>
>>52400832
You clearly have no clue who steve jobs is.
>>
>>52400909
I did that to one of my PCs before.
>>
>>52401072
You obviously have no clue about how stupid you are if you think having kids is dumb.
>>
>>52400062
Maybe part of the magic just makes it hop to another finger the moment you're not paying attention. So you cut off the finger, you look away to grab the disinfectant and gauze, and then bam. You notice it's on the other hand now, somehow. If you cut off all your fingers it goes away for good, but now you're cursed with being fingerless. If you somehow get the fingers regrown afterwards, the ring reappears.
>>
>>52401098
I was referring to the factually incorrect statement about steve jobs, "world-spanning business empire built entirely by your own hands and intellect".
>>
>>52401049
No, I'm thinking of people who can do what needs to be done. If your character doesn't have the strength of will to remove their own finger if they need to, then I find it hard to believe they're cut out for adventuring.
>>
>>52401098
Having kids is dumb though. Kids are the worst, then they grow up into people, who are also the worst.
>>
>>52401098
Having kids is dumb. The world is over-flowing, just adopt the fuckers.
>>
>>52401156
>Letting your genes die out

I guess it was meant to be fail-anon.

Let your superiors keep making more babies without considering the consequences. Intelligence was a mistake i guess.
>>
File: considerthefollowing.jpg (25KB, 300x301px) Image search: [Google]
considerthefollowing.jpg
25KB, 300x301px
>>52400062
The "Curse" is actually a malevolent spirit that jumped into you body the moment you put on the ring.

Dispel magic won't do shit, you need an exorcism or lots of spaghetti sauce
>>
>>52400503
You cut off your finger, but the ring will not be removed from your finger, and thus is still affecting you.
>>
What if the curse made you irresistible to the opposite sex? Think about it they would always want to have sex with you, you wouldn't be able to get any work done. Jealous lovers fighting around you causing a scene. Same sex people salty af at your pile of free sexbuddies.
>>
>>52401182
Different anon, but considering how much depression runs in my family I'd rather not curse the next generation with my genes.

Let's never mind that the successful, educated people aren't having nearly as many children as those of... simpler ambitions.
>>
File: 83e498a95490c9ccb9e0dfac9f0ce1ab.jpg (118KB, 700x1000px) Image search: [Google]
83e498a95490c9ccb9e0dfac9f0ce1ab.jpg
118KB, 700x1000px
Cursed equipment is shitty in any system unless that system has a radical class dedicated to wearing cursed equipment, at which point it becomes great.

I swear there was a game that did that I just can't remember what game.
>>
>>52401201
Nah just murder the dude and rez. We are all sociopaths since we became adventurers, right? Now break out that morningstar!
>>
>>52401235
>cut off your finger
>ring is suddenly on another one of your fingers
>>
>>52401235
It's a ring of "seeming like it's on a different finger than it's actually on".
>>
>>52401248
You resurrected the malevolent spirit, but the original soul stays in the afterlife.
>>
>>52400832
>tfw Bill Gates shitposts in /tg/
>>
>>52401182
Yeah, I care more about the world surviving than my animal instinct to make more of me
>>
>>52401305
Pretty much
>>52401248
>>
>>52401269
>>52401293
No, no. The ring remains on the severed finger. It still can't be removed.
>>
>>52401305
Just rinse and repeat!
>>
>>52401381
The malevolent soul fragments and becomes malevolent-er.
>>
>>52400829
>Ring of Fuck You
and that's exactly what I'd do with that ring.

It's a fucking free Simulacrum, sounds like a hell of a """""""curse""""""". I make my Simulacrums cut off each other's fingers while I writhe in the pain for a few hours until I have an unbeatable army of Me.

After the inevitable orgy, we go to rule the world.
>>
>>52401244
>Waah I don't want to have any disadvantages or consequences for putting on random magical shit that I steal from ancient ruins waah
>>
>>52401332
Would you honestly be surprised?
>>
>>52401244
Tales of Maj'Eyal has a class that autocurses its own equipment and benefits from stacking same curses.
>>
>>52401425
Until your "free" simulacrum runs away and starts murdering people because its a product of a curse and is therefore obviously evil.

Enjoy that army of rapists and murders you unleashed on the countryside, all of whom are wearing your face. Good luck not getting mobbed and lynched.
>>
Why the fuck you would tell the players the ring is cursed when they put it on?
Shouldn't they try to figure it out from what actually starts happening to them?
>>
>>52401494
>Enjoy that army of rapists and murders you unleashed on the countryside, all of whom are wearing your face. Good luck not getting mobbed and lynched.
>somehow implying I wasn't already doing that
I embrace the infamy and carnage me and my dark army has left in its wake.
>>
>>52401448
You know now that I think about it, I don't!

There is charm in the way games like Dragon Quest handle cursed equipment, where a cursed item is typically obviously evil, such as the Skull Helmet, strong but with a tradeoff such as the weapons that have high damage but abyssmal accuracy, or fill interesting niches such as armor that gives you a lot of HP but no defense.

Cursed in items in most systems are just garbage though; you either detect that it's cursed with magic and discard it, or you don't have any way to tell it's cursed and the spooky magic ring cuts your finger off while the DM cackles in delight at this inane inconvenience he's put you through.
>>
>>52401090
that's pretty hot.

>tfw DM never magical realms me, intentional or no.
>>
>>52401541
>as you put on the ring it suddenly clamps down on your finger. While it looked to be a rather loose fit, it is now squeezing your finger slightly too tightly. It's cold pressure threatens to inhibit the blood flow, but isn't quite so tight as to do so.
>>
>>52400859
Ah, the Shylock Curse.
>>
File: Parasitic_Breastplate.png (326KB, 420x700px) Image search: [Google]
Parasitic_Breastplate.png
326KB, 420x700px
Good cursed items are powerful equipments with drawbacks

Bad cursed items are rings that make your genitals fall off and lower your armor score
>>
>>52401672
>living armor
my fetish
>>
>>52400062
>the ring compels you to love it.
Well shit.
>be old adventurer, sacrificed all of life's joys to be with ring
>>
>>52400062
>>Surprise! The ring you just put on is cursed.

Would anyone really do a thing like that? Just go around making cursed jewellery and leaving it in dungeons for adventurers to find?
>>
>>52400062
Roll me an Arcana check
>>
>>52401743
>Gets married to the ring.
>Takes ring to a goldsmith to widen it.
>>
>>52400267
i already have this curse, ill keep the ring.
>>
>>52400376
They key do doing that is to not TELL them that it's malevolent. Drop hints while the story goes on. Make some rolls behind the screen while asking the player stuff about the ring.
Don't tell them why you're rolling. You can record and apply the rolls. Or just roll for shits and giggles.
Only after they've been wearing it for a while will they have to Roll for a Will save. Don't tell them why. Yet. Just roll.
If they succeed, wait another session and have them roll again. Until they fail. Then start applying small penalties. Make up some bullshit as to why. Don't say it's the ring.
Eventually have them roll for a Will save again.
If they fail, keep stacking on penalties. Eventually they'll catch on, but by then it's too late. The Ring is a part of the player now.
Literally. It has grown roots into their finger and up their arm and the tendrils are just reaching their brain.
Now the party will have to work to save their friend. Or just let him die. If they choose this, make sure they come back as an evil revenant to face the party that let him die.
Only it's not really the PC, it's the Ring wielding their body as a meat puppet.
>>
>>52400149
That's pretty retarded. The best cursed items are those that are either valuable but difficult to sell/transport due to some vague doom, or those which have some downside associated with their extremely tempting use.
>>
>>52401770
Or for a more basic version, a cursed ring appears to be Ring of Protection +2 at examination. It serves the players rather well, but it has a somewhat odd appearance. When facing drow, you find that arrows and bolts they shoot curve around cover and hit you against all expectations. DM treats your AC as 5 or 10 lower against attacks from drow, and makes sure to describe all the attacks from drow that narrowly hit you as being very fantastical - a crossbow bolt hits a stone wall an inch from your ear, shatters, but the sharp bits scratch your ear and poison you.
>>
>>52401847
I'm pretty sure those types of cursed items came from older editions of D&D where "lol ur dead" is a likely outcome in almost every encounter.
>>
>>52401770
that sounds pretty overpowered for just a ring,
I mean how much damage can one ring truly do?
>>
>>52401917
As much as you want it to.
>>
I've always liked the idea of a ring that immediately cuts off the finger it's on, and regrows it as a strange black crystalline formation that functions the same.

Aforementioned crystalline formation is both a guide and a key to some kind of dungeon
>>
>>52401847
This, like a powerful sword that fucks you over.
>>
>>52400062
The principle of sympathy. It's still your finger. The ring is still on it. You're still cursed despite the physical distance between you and said finger.
>>
>>52401972
Or has a huge cock that comes to life at night and fucks your wife.
Ain't got a wife? No problem. It will make one for you.
With a huge cock.
>>
>>52401897
Yeah older d&d was full of bullshit. Ad&d 1e's dmg has some great advice for how to be a cunt in it.

>Your players making too many listen checks?
Be sure to remind them it takes 3 hours to remove their helmets first, and then have bugs crawl into their ears which if not treated within minutes with a cure disease spell, lay eggs that kill them.

>Your wizard has invisibility?
Here's a whole section on why invisibility doesn't mean shit, and barely or if ever should work. No of course none of this is alluded to under the player's spell description.

There was also the official dragon magazine policy for release of additional monster stat blocks.Which was of course "Gary doesn't like X now because it seems overpowered, make a monster that fucking ruins X".

Though I'll give it credit. There was a creative ways to use mundane spells section in the dmg as well. Stuff like blinding people with the cast light spell, and stuff like that.
>>
>>52401972
>Frostmourne hungers

Come on, you were thinking it, too. In his voice, even.
>>
>>52400149
Are you saying that Stormbringer is stupid or that the one ring of Sauron was stupid?

Random cursed items are stupid. Cursed items need to be relevant to the plot to not be stupid.
>>
>>52401957
You notice that the crystal grows further and further with time. First it's just a nail, then the finger turns into crystal joint by joint. If you don't get to the crystal dungeon and get to the end of it, the crystal will likely cover and replace your whole body
>>
File: k0jPoN6.gif (2MB, 480x259px) Image search: [Google]
k0jPoN6.gif
2MB, 480x259px
>>52400267
>>
>>52402032
This isn't fuckin' Avatar the Last Airbender

but yes that was the original inspiration. I just don't like the idea of it growing/overtaking your body. Which I guess misses the point of being cursed or whatever
>>
>>52401972
>>52402018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCxL3-Fl7bM
>>
>>52401847
My DM once let us find a ring of flight during a campaign where we gathered an army. It had a hidden curse that made the wearer disagree with every decision. When my PC put it on, he decided to ditch the agreed-upon plan we were pursuing. A debate ensued, things escalated and he teleported halfway across the country to do something else (seek an audience with the dwarven king to convince him to help us). After a few more jumps when the party pursued me with a hired mage, I was out of slots and they beat me unconscious.

Funnily enough, this later saved our asses, since I managed to actually convince the king. The dwarves sent crucial reinforcements that arrived just on time for the final battle, narrowly securing our victory, which would otherwise have been impossible.
>>
>>52402046
>anon posts Blue Oyster Cult

Ah, the ancient ones have awoken.
>>
>>52400534
i feel like it would be a lot easier to do that in a world that has magic that can regenerate lost limbs
>>
>>52402043
I didn't even think about that... heh. But it adds a time condition to it, especially if you make it clear that once it takes you over, you're boned. Just having something like that is enough of a plot hook for a whole campaign if not a major arc.
>>
>>52402076

From my understanding, I'm smack dab in the middle of /tg/'s demographic.
>>
>>52402018
I was thinking about Tyrfing but that works too.
>>
>>52400062
Easy, because the curse is still on you, putting the ring on simply applied the curse to you and stuck the item on.
So now the item's off of you (so if it did something useful as well, tough), you're missing a finger, and are still cursed with whatever.
>>
>>52402138
>middle

The song's 37 years old. Is /tg/ really that old in general? Color me surprised.

>>52402152
>mfw I look this up and it's a real thing

Well lookie here, I'm behind on my reading. Thanks, anon!
>>
>>52402385
I'm sure all those highschoolers in Nirvana shirts are actually 40 year olds who just age very gracefully.
>>
>>52400552
Perhaps it is the ring of doubt?
>>
>Cut off finger
>Ring swaps to a different finger the instant your finger is removed
>Keep cutting fingers off because you have regen magic
>Rings hops to your toes
>Cut off toes
>Ring hops to your ear
The cycle continues.
>>
>>52402087
It's not logic that prevents self-harm even when it's the best course of action, it's instinct. In most situations amputating your own extremities is an extremely bad idea, unsurprisingly those that had no difficulty chopping themselves up got weeded out of the genepool in favor of people what wanted to keep all of their bits. Even in a world with magic healing by the time any species evolved enough to be capable of such magic they'd have developed an aversion to self-harm hundreds of generations before.
>>
>>52402385
/tg/ is a bit older than most other boards, owing to its topic. And there's some fa/tg/uys of venerable age, I remember an anon who claimed being 65.
>>
>>52401425
>unbeatable army
>you feel all their pain
I throw a hand grenade and you get the sensation of being blown to bits five times at once. You feel every hunger pang from the POW camps, every sore foot after a day of forced march, every bullet wound, every splinter, every stubbed toe and shaving cut of an entire army.

You did not think this shit through.
>>
>>52401244
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup has a god that does that.
>>
>>52400062
>"I cut off my finger"

"you put the ring on you dominant hand, so add -1 on any Strength/Dexterity based checks/attacks."
>>
>>52402482
>finally gets tired of your shit and cinches around the top of your ballsack
>>
>>52401770
This shit sounds all fine and good but it runs into one of two problems.

A: The instant the GM makes a secret roll and asks about the ring, an even remotely competent player will immediately attempt to remove it to see what happens.

Also
B: In any game where long amounts of time passes it's reasonable to assume such items would be removed at some point. It's doubtful one bathes with a magic ring for no reason and even if they do, they probably took it off at some point because their hands got covered in orc blood or some shit like that. This goes even moreso for any other kind of cursed item. I actually had this happen to a GM of mine, where in a game where three weeks had passed a character suddenly found he couldn't take his armor off because it's cursed - thus implying he wore plate armor for three straight fucking weeks without once removing it to sleep, or bathe, or maintain it, or anything else.

The best way to run cursed shit is to tell the player it's cursed shit and collaborate with him on how to make the cursed shit interesting because unless he's a total munchkin he'll likely be able to do something interesting with it collaboratively than you can alone as the GM.
>>
>>52402579
>casts Alter Self, turns into a woman.
>the curse is broken as the ring clatters on the ground.
>>
>>52402564
Unless you're playing a d100 system that's bullshit. The ring finger is largely moved with shared pinky muscles, it's literally the best finger to lose.
>>
>>52400588
Given that many curses aren't that bad and can be fairly easily dispelled...you're a moron.
>>
>>52402527
Sucks for me, but nothing says that /they/ feel my pain.

Sure I go mad with pain, but now I rule the world. Cursed ring indeed.
>>
>>52401364
>Throw finger in fire
>Flesh turns to ash
>Remove ring from ashes with stick and carefully wash off the ashes
>Regenerate the finger at a rate of 1hp/hour due to ioun stone.
>>
>>52402631
>It antes up and jumps around your clit
>If you turn back, it won't change size, and it will be around your dick
>Your fucking move human
>>
All this shit reminds me of the Two-Faced Ring from Septimus Heap.

It afforded the wielder incredible dark power, but there was an entity or something inside the ring that would try to corrupt and control the wearer, or something like that.

The part that reminded is that once you put the ring on, it can only come off "the other way", meaning that if you wanted to remove it, either from your own finger or someone else's, you'd need to do some chopping.
>>
Rolled 13 + 7 (1d20 + 7)

>>52402659
Dispel Magic.
>>
>>52400097
A sudden urge to cut your finger off because you know the ring you just put on is cursed.
>>
>Its a ring of teleport
>It just teleports to a different finger upon activation, not necessarily yours.
>>
>walks into an anti-magic zone.
>takes off ring.

Might have to goad some beholders, but so what.
>>
>>52402852
ANY finger the wearer has seen since donning the ring is a legal target. But only if the target is still living.
The command word is not a word, but the intention of removing the ring.
>>
>>52400752
Steve refused cancer treatment because he believed an all-fruit juice diet could cure cancer. not because the treatment was painful.
(he also believed his vegan diet meant he did not need to bathe, despite repeatedly being told this was not the case by those around him)
>>
>>52402889
Lies. He was just dedicated to his quest, which was being the lightest and thinnest CEO on the market.
>>
>>52400752
>>52402889
>>52402939
Let's actually have the facts, and not the bullshit. Jobs was a nutter who didn't want surgery, but eventually got it.

Jobs decision to delay surgery for almost a whole year after learning in October 2003 that he was suffering from a neuroendocrine tumor or, a relatively treatable and rare form of pancreatic cancer.

Jobs felt that he could rid his body of the disease with natural treatments, including juice fasts, bowel cleansings and other unproven approaches.

Jobs initially tried a vegan diet, acupuncture, herbal remedies and other treatments. He even consulted a psychic but eventually agreed to having surgery in 2004.

In 2005, Jobs gave a remarkable speech in front of Stanford University graduates saying he had won the battle with cancer, and that he was happy to be able to sit there with them on that warm summer day.

Years later, Jobs’ condition would get worse, and he would take several medial leaves to continue treatment.

During his second leave, the Apple CEO had a liver transplant which, although necessary, may have helped the cancer spread more rapidly, according to physician accounts.

When Jobs announced his third medical leave, it had become obvious that things were taking a turn for the worse. Jobs died on October 5, 2011.
>>
>>52402385

I don't think /tg/ is that old in general, I'm ~28. My taste in music during highschool skewed to shit older than myself.
>>
>>52400407

What if they aren't able to
>>
>>52403059
Then it's the GM's fault. It's like asking a player for a DC 25 skill check when their skill mod is +4 or less. Or telling the party OOC that they missed three fourths of all the treasure this campaign because they didn't have a rogue.
>>
>>52403114

So i'm rather new to the game but how would you be able to identify something if you don't have a spell to do so and you are in a dungeon
>>
All magical equipment is cursed with the lust to spill blood with it
>>
>>52403135
If you are an Unchained rogue with 5 or more ranks in appraiseyou can find out the qualities of a magic item if you hit an appraise DC of 20 + Item's caster level.
You can make the same check with spellcraft as a rogue if you have the appropriate skill ranks.
>>
>>52403180

Any other way because our group doesn't have a rouge
>>
>>52403135
Detect Magic is a cantrip (a.k.a. All day every no limit castings) that you can use alongside the Spellcraft skill to identify an item. It's 15+CL of item.
Also there is the Identify spell which gives you +10 to your spellcraft check to identify an item.
>>
>>52403210
>>52403180

Thanks
>>
>>52403014
Good try, Billy. You're just mad because you weren't nearly as smart and good at computers as Steve Jobs.
>>
>>52400534
I mean, the actual guy who cut his arm off with a pocket knife.
The countless stories of people wrecking themselves to escape danger like a burning tank or plane.

I probably wouldn't bat much of an eye to a wild man biting his own finger off to escape black magic.
>>
>>52403389
I'd still call for a Charisma check since that's Force of Personality.
Are you a Bad enough motherfucker to cut your own finger off?
>>
>Teleporting intelligent cursed ring that immediately attaches itself to another finger if the one it is on is removed
This is how you can tell the majority of /tg/ doesn't actually play /Traditional Games/
>>
>>52403180
>shitseeker
>>
>>52403555
You are entitled to your own opinion and I respect that. I also respect the fact that your opinion is wrong.
>>
>>52403389
There's a difference between the adrenaline rush of "my arm is trapped in the wreckage of my burning car I NEED TO ESCAPE!" and "This ring on my finger is bad in some magical, not immediately apparent way and it won't come off. TIME TO CHOP OFF MY FINGER TO ESCAPE THE NONSPECIFIC NON-LIFE-THREATENING CONSEQUENCES OF JUST THROWING ON A PIECE OF MAGICAL JEWLERY" and you know it.
>>
>>52403588
Because most adventurers know that cursed items will KILL you unless you remove them quickly.
>>
>>52403204
>no rogue
>no identification spells
>in a dungeon and, presumably, unable to get out

...well whose fault is that?
>>
>>52403669
The GM's because he obviously doesn't know how to balance a group.
>>
>>52403631
Most adventurers think that murder is the one true solution to all problems and believe others follow this line of thought too.
>>
>>52403693
When you live in a world where a group of level 15 adventurers routinely runs into Beholders and Adult red dragons just by walking through a forest things don't have to make sense.
>>
>>52403631
That's a ridiculous generalization and not at all true. A lot of cursed items don't do anything more damaging than knock down a stat or two, or cause some kind of mental effect, or maybe make it so that a caster can't use their magic.

A cursed item instantly killing the user would jump form inconvenient to unfair in all but the most "this is obviously a bad thing we literally just watched it happen to the last guy to put it on" situations

I get that you don't want to lose this internet argument with a stranger you'll never meet, but try not to just make shit up. It defeats your statement more than I ever could.
>>
>>52400097
It makes the skin beneath the ring itch, just a little bit.
>>
File: 1371976408497.jpg (38KB, 316x331px) Image search: [Google]
1371976408497.jpg
38KB, 316x331px
>>52402939
>>
>>52403014
Wow, what an idiot.
>>
>>52403588
If I was DMing it would be up to the character. My fighter, barbarian, paladin or monk would totally be able to do it without a check, most of them wouldn't even scream. However you're right, the cleric or the rouge (which is a literal child) might have to pass a check.
>>
>>52400149
>Disjunction fails
That's horse shit.

That page also neglects to mention another way of removing it: befriending a beholder.
>>
>>52400552

It's magic alright. A wizard enchanted it with the same feelings of ennui he was already experiencing so that he could find peace by blaming those feelings on the ring, rather than himself.
>>
File: Effigy_of_Oddity.jpg (1MB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
Effigy_of_Oddity.jpg
1MB, 2448x2448px
>>52400062
I would allow it to work but have some caveat that with the exception of fairly high level healing magic that finger is gone. Maybe give the slightest of penalties (-1) to dexterity?

In a scenario where this wouldn't work my excuse as a GM would be that the item acts more like a device that when activated (in this case put on) it dispenses a curse unto the poor sap who used it.
>>
File: mangaka horror.jpg (238KB, 1024x572px) Image search: [Google]
mangaka horror.jpg
238KB, 1024x572px
>>52400639
EWEWEWWWWWWWW FUCK NO
>>
>>52402030
Both of those things aren't cursed, stupid.
>>
>>52405122
An intelligent magic item that tries to take over your body is pretty damn cursed.
>>
>>52400090
>I scrape out every bit of flesh in the ring

It's not attached to me anymore so it shouldnt hurt unless the wizard anticipated this as well. Even then though it's just pain and not an actually detriment to the body since it's not connected to anything.
>>
>>52400062
Curses don't pay attention to logic. The curse isn't tied to the ring after you put it on, it gets tied to you. The ring us simply a casting vessel.
>>
>>52406305
I dunno, "cut off the finger" seems appropriately "fantasy novel/mythology" logic that it works for Generic DnD Setting.
>>
>>52402441
Is there such a ring?
>>
>>52401049
>who are out there to help their family or village

your definition of adventurers is rather stupidly specific. Where are you pulling it from besides your own ass?
>>
>>52400534
>>*fails*
jokes on you I powergamed my will save so the dms bullshit mind control fetish will never work on me!
>>
>>52406411
If you succeed at the will save then yeah, you can cut off your finger. You powered through your own instinctual aversion and chopped that fucker off.

By the way, which hand was the ring on? If you didn't specify BEFORE you put the ring on, I'm forced to assume it was placed on your dominant hand, since that's where most people put on a new piece of jewelery without even thinking.

Don't even try to argue that your character would TOTALLY not put it on his dominant hand for fear of a curse, because you didn't make that specification until after you already put the ring on, so you clearly weren't thinking about the possibility of a curse.

disadvantage on dex-based attack rolls and saves requiring that hand, smartass.
>>
>>52406523
it's fine
I cast regeneration

that said I probably should have cast remove curse before chopping off my finger

oh well powergaming will means my int is 8 so I'm actually roleplaying perfectly!
>>
>>52406523
I fell like you would naturally use your dominant hand to put on a ring, thus leaving the ring on your non-dominant hand (Like how you wear watches on your non-dominant wrist) so I think your logic there is flawed. And as for the other part, the ring finger is the least important finger you could lose.
I just don't get why you would punish a character and call them a "smartass" for trying to think around simply dispelling a curse.
>>
>>52403680
>he obviously doesn't know how to balance a group
The GM shouldn't be forcing the players to play anything specific, and the world shouldn't revolve around the player's being stupid
>>
>>52407398
The world doesn't have to, but it's just no fun if I make a room that you only see if you cast detect magic and no one has detect magic.
>>
>>52406224
I'm pretty sure any setting with magic curses has the "magic" bind to your soul, not your physical flesh. So no, taking the ring off wouldnt help.
>>
>>52400534

Dude you can go without a finger
>>
>>52404272
YOU MONSTER
>>
>>52407652
That's not the point of what you're replying to. The point is on a base, instinctual level (which you have no active control over) you are seriously against removing your own body parts, and also it fucking hurts to do, and will continue to hurt for a good while since painkillers haven't been invented yet
>>
>>52402621
Or they simply got better gear, if it's high fantasy enough. In that case, make the ring stronger over time, maybe they find a sage who reveals a new minor yet very useful power about it with an obscure Lore check or maybe it's explained to be some soulbound shit that grows with the user.
>>
>>52400755
This.
>>
>>52400267
Look up the Irukandji jellyfish - one of the symptoms of the sting is "existential dread".
>>
>>52400605
Then you've become yet another victim of the cursed ring of finger mutilation.
>>
>>52402621
This is why it's great to play with people into mind control.

>"I clearly would have taken the ring off at some point before now!"
>"You'd think so, but every time you tried it just... slipped your mind, and you forgot what you were doing."
>"Ah *cough* okay."
>>
>>52402441
I doubt that.
>>
>>52400832
>built entirely by your own hands
ORIGINAL CREATOR OF THE GUI DO NOT STEAL AGAIN FROM HIM
>>
>>52400419

Anon, get your prostate checked.
>>
>>52401448
You know the presence of these items points too three things:

1) the place is a dump for shit nobody wants to touch with a ten foot pole
2) SOMEBODY thought that ring valuable enough to take it to the afterlife with him or her
3) Grygax insisted on rolled up characters because his games were basically him trying to score by killing the PCs
>>
>>52400062
The ring is a condiut for the curse. Sure you can cut your finger off, but that will not remove the curse and you will lose a ring slot.
Fucking sucks don't it?
>>
>>52400062
>There is a black flash as you cut off your finger.
>You succeed in cutting the finger.
>The spiteful essence of the curse leaves blackened scar where you cut.
>You are not longer afflicted by the ring's curse.
>You cannot use anything less than a wish or major miracle to get that finger back.
>>
>>52400189
Curse of placebo
For the next action the player fails, all future actions of the same kind is now rolled at a -2.
To remove the curse the player need to proform the action successfully 3 times in a row, or a critical success 1 time.
>>
>>52407083
>wear watches on your non-dominant wrist
Waht? Why? I don't understand. I even tried that once and it was fucking awful. My off hand holds my knife, and that's literally all I use it for. And holding down the stuff I cut when cooking or jacking off 3 uses I guess. But still, why? How? I don't understand
>>
File: gun.jpg (383KB, 1165x1155px) Image search: [Google]
gun.jpg
383KB, 1165x1155px
>>52401448
>find obviously unenchanted, ordinary gear, doesn't ping as magic to any form of detection whatsoever, is better than what you've already got
>use it
>gotcha! it was really a curse all along, lol!
>should've cast wish to ask what it did xD
what does this add to the game

>>52403895
>a caster can't use their magic
so, time to cut off the finger
what the fuck were you trying to prove? if you have an unremovable ring on your finger that's causing you a major fucking issue, damn right you're going to go to some length to get rid of it.
>>
My favourite cursed item was a diadem our party fighter found and put on.

The DM gave an out loud description about how clear the Fighter's thinking now was, how logical, scales fallen from eyes, every idea a stroke of genius blah blah blah.

And he passed a note to the player which said 'your Int is now 8, and you no longer get proficiency in any int-based skills'.

The Fighter played it perfectly. Acted as if he was Sherlock Holmes meets CREEEED. We nearly TPK'd following one of his (moronic) plans because he forgot to bring the arrows and rope which would be our grappling hook to get out of the prison we were rescuing a captive from.

Was a pretty brutal lesson about metagaming.
>>
>>52401239
>Let's never mind that the successful, educated people aren't having nearly as many children as those of... simpler ambitions.
Depends on where you live. French politicians, nobles, etc. tend to have lots of kids.
>>
File: IMG_0355.jpg (108KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0355.jpg
108KB, 1600x900px
One of the best cursed items to pop up in a game I played in was a ring called the "Ring of Betrayal"

When you put the ring on your right hand and twisted it, once per day you could take on the appearance of anyone you've shaken hands with while wearing the ring.

The twist was that anyone you shook hands with was hit with a charm spell, and began to secretly plot your downfall. On top of that, they instantly learned the identity and location of any other person you've shaken hands with while wearing the ring.

By the time we realized there was something up with the ring, an entire secret order of minor nobles, random tradesmen, and shop owners had formed entirely around a conspiracy to see the ruinous end of our thief.
>>
>>52400267

So marriage, then?
>>
>>52400267

Oh god, thats such a relief.

Most people when they feel like a small part of a vast uncaring universe cant do anything but dread.

But I get to blame it on the magic ring! That means I dont ever have to really confront it.

Thanks, unknown wizard!
>>
>>52405122
>Stormbringer isn't cursed
>>
Cursed items are bad. Full stop. End sentence. End message. End thread.

Oh, you want to know why?

Here's the deal:
Your players find an an item they think/learn is magical. CHOICE: A: magically identify it, B: Store it for later, C: Attempt to figure it out/use it now.

In A and B, the curse doesn't matter, it just provides for disappointment/tempering of "ooh, look at all the loot we got" feelings when they discover the truth safely.

If they picked C, they'll struggle through trial and error, and either you railroad them into not discovering it's cursed, they find out right away when they try to take it off, or they just die suddenly. In any of these instances, they are discouraged from picking C again, until eventually magic items are treated as potential boobytraps.

Cursed items are BAD GAME DESIGN
>>
>>52410450
>eventually magic items are treated as potential boobytraps
As they should be, when exploring a fucking dungeon. Anything is a potential boobytrap.
>>
>>52410450
>t. never escaped certain death by quaffing a vial of cursed gain level potion.
>>
>>52400267
Nothing new
>>
>>52410548
You can't grow anything on a position that salty. It doesn't matter what fluff there is for it. Either the party picks the lock on the orc or kills the chest and finds a Thing™. In a game with LOLRANDEMCURSESSSS the party either stores it because of its possible value but inherent danger, or ignores it.

So you're basically leaving wizard-locked fedex boxes around the place daring the players to... do what? Take them to the oracle/PC with the Identify Spell who will play the role of the guy from Pawn Stars and tell them if its useful or useless?
>>
File: consider-the-following.jpg (52KB, 633x400px) Image search: [Google]
consider-the-following.jpg
52KB, 633x400px
>>52400386
But you had lots of ways to get rid of it in nethack. Remove Curse, prayer, getting a nymph to steal it, and of course you could identify it before you put it on. You could even just drop it on an altar to BUC-test it to see if it was cursed -- if it wasn't, you could safely try it on and take it off before it killed you. And it had a good reason to be in the game: it made amulets dangerous to use-ID.

In the case of the amulet of strangulation in 3.5, all it is is an exercise in trust between the player and DM. It's like the entire purpose is to give the DM one more way to be a dick, and the player one more reason to be afraid of the DM. That's pretty fucking stupid.
>>
>>52400588
Anon that's not what he's saying. He's saying if your first solution is to cut off a finger and treat it like it's nothing, that's dumb.

On the other hand, this is a DnD/magic setting so you can just grow a new one/get a prosthetic/heal it
>>
>>52401238
CURSE OF THE LOVE SPOT NIGGAH, NOT EVEN ONCE
>>
>>52400062

Part of the curse involves preventing you from self mutilation.
>>
>>52410450
What's the point of playing in a game with no danger? Are all your games just "move on from one area to the next, kill everything we find, tally up the XP and loot, move on to the next area"?

Honestly sounds like a shit way to run a game. I could get the exact same experience playing an MMO and at least I could do that from the comfort of home in my underwear.
>>
>>52410790
>and at least I could do that from the comfort of home in my underwear.
>implying that's not how I play my TTRPGS
because it's not, I play them in cute pajamas
>>
>>52402018
>>52402152
I was thinking Stormbringer personally
>>
>>52400062

this isn't video game, few cursed rings should be immediately apparent that they are cursed (and for those that are, well, if someone fishes a ring out of a well of living shadow and puts it on they deserve a curse).

The rest, like most cursed items, should be subtle.

that said, losing a finger to remove a cursed ring is a fine trade. Just remember, if the player smugly has his finger grown back or reattached, have the ring reappear.

Losing 3 fingers on the same hand is -1 attack when I DM.
>>
>>52406370
It's subtle, isn't it?
>>
>>52410790
>hurrr you said there is an element of bad game design, games have no danger if you don't hide razorblades in the apples!

Tell me what cursed items add, rather than subtract. at least >>52410588 cited a situation where desperation factored into it. Granted, that is a thin excuse, since the DM has to be working to have a scenario where a Backbiting Spear or Item -X or NECKLACE OF STRANGULATION is a valid, if terrible choice.

Cursed magic items are traps, nothing more, and they are traps that actively work against the joy and beauty of finding magic items. Just the same as the third time they find a valuable gem covered in contact poison, they eventually presume you're just trying to fuck with them, and work to stay safe.
>>
Wait a minute, what happens if I find enough cursed shit and melt it down into a bitchin' suit of armour?
>>
>>52411376
Because traps add variety, instead of being one slaughter after another. I bet you don't like social challenges either right? Or exploration? Or any sort of problem solving? Anything that makes an RPG into anything more than a computer game where you have to roll your own dice. There's nothing wrong with using traps.
>>
>>52410790
>What's the point of playing in a game with no danger?

you realize there are entire rpg systems with 0 cursed items whatsoever? Doesn't mean those games don't have danger.
That guy was just saying that specific form of danger is shit and doesn't add anything to the game.

And the rest of your post is just meaningless projection based on nothing.
Oh, and one more thing. Playing an MMO is nothing like playing a combat focused RPG campaign. I don't know how that comparison keeps being made.
If you were saying that it's like playing a wargame than sure at least theres some point of comparison.
>>
>>52411456

you

you do realize computer rpgs have traps right? And cursed items?
have you ever played a computer RPG?
>>
>>52411517
CRPG traps are click to disarm or walk over them and tank the damage.
And way to avoid addressing the main point being argued. But this just tells me you have nothing to refute what I am saying.
>>
>>52411517
But they don't have cursed magic items, because you fuckers are casuals
>>
>>52411429
Much like Mr. Burn's host of diseases, all the various curses end up piling up and canceling each other out.
>>
>>52411496
You again prove you have no point. If there is no MENTAL aspect to it, you're just rolling dice to beat a number. You're so stupid you can't handle subtle or guile, and probably drink everything you find under the sink
>>
>>52411580
>But they don't have cursed magic items
every single D&D based game has them

but using D&D based games is cheating in this conversation

>>52411549
just like 3.x traps

>implying I can't just tank the rocks fall with my dorf or point and click with my search skill and disarm trap skill
>>
>>52411601
I want you to carefully re-read every post in this thread and ask yourself

at which point did anyone say that traps are bad?
You will quickly realize you have been a projecting moron and notice that people are complaining about cursed magic items specifically, not traps in general.
>>
>>52400062

Depends on the setting. Sometimes this might work.

Or, it works but the ring stays on the severed finger, cannot be removed, and continues to affect the person whose finger it is.

Or, it works but when the wearer uses magic to regenerate the finger, he finds (immediately or when he's not paying attention) that the ring's back on his finger.

In other more Tolkienesque settings, the binding of the ring to the finger is a twist of Fate rather than physical magic. So events will arrange themselves to make attempts to remove the ring go wrong in as baleful a way for the wearer/remover as possible.

You miss and mangle your hand but the finger is ok. You cut off the wrong finger (or the right finger but now the ring is somehow on another finger or even the other hand). The axe, knife, or sword fumbles or breaks due to a seemingly random critical fail.

Worst of all IMO is that the severing works. The ring is disposed of. And then the next morning or after a long march or whatever, the PC notices that the damn ring is back on his finger. Or even another finger.

IMO that's the least exploitable trick to pull on your players. Let them get the damn ring off if they put enough heroic/painful/expensive effort into it. They enjoy their victory, destroy the ring, whatever. Then later at a tavern they're quaffing a frosty beverage when suddenly someone realizes that the cursed player is still wearing the ring.
>>
The cursed ring of an old teaching crone that injures the wearer when they make antiquated grammatical errors such as ending sentences in prepositions or using plural pronouns to refer to individuals.
>>
>>52411376
my point was, with the cursed potion example
that a type of player (the crafty ones) love to think out of the box and surprise you with emergent gameplay.
I even had players use a bunch of defective armor rings that did nothing except give numerical maluses by planting them in the stock of a merchant.
>>
I feel like all of my groups tend to majorly consist of players who cut their teeth on really Gygaxian DMs. This means the ones in the DM seat don't tend to actually put cursed items in the game in the first place, meanwhile the PCs tend to treat all magic items as potentially volatile as nuclear waste until they're properly identified because they're still haunted by the Charlies in the trees of cursed items from past games..

It's kind of funny.

>>52406523
As someone who wears rings on both hands, I default to putting them on my non-dominant hand first or when just trying them on. It's probably just because I pick up things with my dominant hand?
>>
File: 1488579573079.jpg (136KB, 638x714px) Image search: [Google]
1488579573079.jpg
136KB, 638x714px
I'm convinced that I should throw some random cursed items at my players now.

Thanks anons
>>
>>52409130
Typically your dominant hand is doing most things hence the term "dominant" so your non-dominant hand is free to check the time on your watch. Also since you naturally do most things with your dominant hand you would probably put on a ring you found using it, thus leaving the ring on your non-dominant hand.
>>
>>52407398
>The GM shouldn't be forcing the players to play anything specific

>but he totally should put them in situations that force them to play something specific

full of shit senpai
>>
>>52411456
Nigga wasn't saying he doesn't like traps, he said he doesn't like cursed items. The rest of that shit is just a terrible shameless strawman all of which he didn't even mention.
>>
>>52404272
can't you just rotate the ring on your finger to rub it? You can't take it off, nothing says you can't move it on the spot
>>
>>52414357
>None of us are fighters GM why do you keep throwing big monsters at us in the temple of beastfuckery
>None of us are thieves GM why do you keep throwing traps at us in the temple of trickdickery
>You're FORCING US TO PLAY A CERTAIN WAY AAAAAAAA

That's how dumb you sound
>>
>>52401672
>implying Venom isn't best girl
She just wants love.
>>
File: homer choking bart.jpg (14KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
homer choking bart.jpg
14KB, 480x360px
>>52400149
It's called the Necklace of Strangulation because any DM who puts it into his game will find themselves under the effect of strangulation shortly thereafter.
>>
>>52414912

Yeah sounds fucking logical. What dm throws a party with no rogue into trapfuckery dungeon? Are you a masochist?
>>
File: the best a man can get.jpg (31KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
the best a man can get.jpg
31KB, 300x400px
>>52414912
>"The Macguffin is in the Temple of Gibbering Mouthers"
>"yeah we can't fight those we're level 1"
>"Well that's where it is"
>"Well we're not going there"
>"Then the world is destroyed by Nekrol the Lich, you lose"

This is the kind of DM you are.
>>
File: figuratively.png (3KB, 355x142px) Image search: [Google]
figuratively.png
3KB, 355x142px
>>52415023
>masochist
sadist. SADIST. You're looking for the word S-A-D-I-S-T.
>>
>>52415083
>>52415023
Traps in the world don't go way just because nobody made a thief.
Monsters don't go away just because nobody made a fighter.
To imply that curses should go away because nobody made a wizard is asinine, and counterproductive to believable game worlds.
>>
>>52415324
Another anon.
There is also the rule of fun to consider. If the party can't pass an obstacle that the GM requires the players to pass, there needs to be some way around it.
>Traps
Hire a rogue, or invest in trap detection. DM can help by making a DMPC or throwing a bone to help with balancing also works.
>Monsters
Give a way out that doesn't require fighting. DMPC or throwing a bone.
>Curses
Put in ways to deal with them, such as NPCs or make the curses not bullshit.
>>
>>52415324
have you ever considered that a game is supposed to be fun, not fucking unwinnable by realism?
>>
>>52415083
>>52414912
worse

he is the kind of GM that makes sessions to stroke his ego for his worldbuilding or to demostrate what an awesome creator he is instead of making sessions for his players

now watch how angrily he will defend not giving a shit about his players and screwing them for fun, not that I give a shit as long as he never become my GM
>>
>>52415481
>Fun comes before literally everything else
I hate how the >fun thing started as a meme but this past year has made me seriously reconsider how important "fun" is to a game just because of how obnoxious people who chant "FUN! FUN! FUN!" whenever a GM tries to reign in their game gets.

>>52415548
I'm not going to defend anything. I'm just going to remain kind of disappointed in the entitlement of modern players that the never editions fostered. I get that what's in vogue is having the GM bend his story, world, and game to the whims of the players and every stupid idea they toss, but back in the heyday of this hobby it would be fucking unimaginable for a GM to come to the table with a dungeon or a pre-written module and be expected to change it on the fly because nobody *FEELS* like playing a thief today.

WoD bled this hobby for two decades and D&D5e landed the killing blow. You're all fucking children.
>>
>>52416066
you still understand so little

a situation your players have absolutely no way to resolve is frustrating

making frustrating situations for your players is fucking wrong, period
>>
>>52416066
>fun is not the ultimate objective of playing a game
then what is?
>>
>>52415324
What are you talking about? The world doesn't exist, it's ever shifting and changing depending on what the characters know. Why would you lead players on a path that requires a mage when they don't have one? It has nothing to do with how the world works because you decide how the world works. Unless you just want to hurt them.
>>
>>52416988
He just wants to go HAHA SHOULDA MADE THE STEREOTYPICAL ROGUE/FIGHTER/CLERIC/WIZARD PARTY INSTEAD OF DOING SOMETHING ELSE
I like how when Wizards actually said 'yeah these things are there, let's make sure all the classes are in one of those archetypes' everyone threw a fit about THAT being why it was being MMOified, yet people still expect players to slavishly devote themselves to the same exact setup anyways.
>>
>>52402652
or you just put yourself into the magical equivalent of a coma for the time it takes...just saying.
>>
>My character is cursed? He'll go psycotic and try to murder the party
>Now that he's dead I'll roll up a new character.
>>
>>52400097

Buggerit!
>>
>>52408421
UNDERRATED
>>
>>52416209
This. Its railroading in the extreme or just setting up your players to fail. It's like if in LotR if the ring could only be worn by a high level wizard and bilbo ends up getting shanked by orcs because he can't hide for shit.
>>
The ring slides up and down the finger to intercept the blade, so unless you want to chop off an entire hand you're stuck.
>>
>>52417329
Millennium hand and shrimp! Hoinarylup! Squidaped-oyt! Sheearna-plp!

I really want to play Foul Ole Ron in a game someday.
>>
>>52417407
not railroading in the strict sense, but I'm glad you get the idea
>>
>>52400609
Hey man, don't mock him for having fat fingers.

This is why it's so important to take rings to first a place where people can detect magic/curse and then a jewelers for sizing. Ever read Pratchett's Making Money?
>>
File: Two_Face_in_AK.png (726KB, 1024x837px) Image search: [Google]
Two_Face_in_AK.png
726KB, 1024x837px
>>52417435
Two knives, bitch!
>>
>>52400534
>>52407717
I've got 9 fingers. I've only got 1 life.
>>
>>52403210
>Detect Magic is a cantrip (a.k.a. All day every no limit castings)

That's only Pathfinder and 5E.
>>
>>52400062
Well, when you get the ring of regeneration, only cursed breastplates and helmets are troublesome to remove.
>>
>>52401238

http://oglaf.com/curse-emporium/

I wanted to just reply with the punchline, but it wouldn't have made any sense.
>>
>>52415083

Everybody knows that a bard with a high enough Comeliness score and plenty of Constitution will handle as many gibbering mouthers as you can throw at him. Just wear a fucking condom this time, k?
>>
>>52400843
>>52400865
>>
>>52400062
>Why would you do that? It's the ring that is cursed, not your finger.
>>
File: 1487794199938.jpg (159KB, 1237x941px) Image search: [Google]
1487794199938.jpg
159KB, 1237x941px
>>52420864
>Space Jin's work
>>
>>52418875
Nah, in 5e Detect Magic is a first level spell. It can be cast without cost as a ritual for some classes which requires a long duration of undisturbed preparation, or by Warlocks who invest in a specific Invocation to cast it at will. However, that only lets you know that something magic is nearby, then what school of magic lies upon something when you observe closely.
The first level Identify spell instead lets you know the effects of an item. Then again, so does attuning to it over a short rest, RAW. Some cursed items explicitly do not read the curse effects, though, at least until activated.
>>
>>52400534
What prevents them asking someone else to do that? Pretty sure any doctor would be totally fine performing amputation if it's necessary.
Also, in the world of magic, you can JUST suppress fear, pain and self-preservation instinct.
>>
>>52400062
>the curse is that you permanently lose a finger

just as planned
>>
>>52401917
I don't know, Bilbo.
>>
>>52408348
You don't need to look up some jellyfish. Existential dread is a common symptom of having a blood transfusion from an incompatible donor.
>>
>>52402076
BÖC has also become popular with some of the yoof. King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard is a gateway drug to a lot of old music.

>>52402385
>>52402426
I think we're younger (than 37) in general, but our music skews older. We're probably older than most the other boards and have a few outliers around the place though.
>>
>>52400376
Surprise! The curse is that you never expect anything to work out positively while you're wearing the ring. You can take it off any time
>>
>>52400062
You cut off one of your fingers permanent -1 Dex for as long as your missing that finger
>>
>>52403277
Computers are for nerds.
>>
File: 1485158315226.jpg (27KB, 496x629px) Image search: [Google]
1485158315226.jpg
27KB, 496x629px
>>52400267
>>
>>52427277
Yea it's a hell of a lot safer to be stung by the jellyfish though.
>>
File: spicy.png (718KB, 838x911px) Image search: [Google]
spicy.png
718KB, 838x911px
>>52406370
>>52411373
You guys are good people.
>>
>>52431844
Hard to say, blood transfusion can kill you, but so can the jellyfish through brain hemorrhaging.
>>
>>52402540
My nigga!
Ashenzari>All
>>
Cursed items are a product of D&D in its infancy when some DMs would keep secret running tallies of players hp and when discovering if an item was magical was much harder as some DMs were incredibly stingy with gp rewards especially at lower levels.
>>
>>52435517
>when some DMs would keep secret running tallies of players hp

what?
>>
File: 1315390345263.png (37KB, 510x546px) Image search: [Google]
1315390345263.png
37KB, 510x546px
>>52400062
Hmm a cursed ring you say. What if it were....a gift of sorts....
>>
File: 1490824748346.png (821KB, 510x546px) Image search: [Google]
1490824748346.png
821KB, 510x546px
>>52436302
Yes a gift it was, passed by the forgotten wanderer after the valiant defence of Jukstar VI.
>>
>>52409130
>holding down the stuff you cut... when jacking off
hol up
>>
>>52400062
Now, if you are talking about TRUE curses, they are more psychology. So, if the person does not believe in the curse, it will not affect them.
>>
>>52436223
You don't know your HP, your DM does. You're either "healthy" "ok" "wounded" or "are you sure"

Its the only real way to play, not like you mmo players
Thread posts: 311
Thread images: 25

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.