[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you make a dark Victorian campaign setting with gothic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 1488248723470.png (39KB, 321x322px) Image search: [Google]
1488248723470.png
39KB, 321x322px
How do you make a dark Victorian campaign setting with gothic fantasy elements (think Dracula or Frankenstein), realistic and not full of steampunk, and have it not be edgy or shitty?
>>
>>52389242
impossible
>>
>>52389242

Have non-shitty players. Good luck with that part.
>>
>>52389242
Bloodborne ticks off the edgy boxes, but otherwise it's good inspiration
>>
>>52389242
"Edgy" is a term of jaded nerds and for jaded nerds, you can forget it
>>
>>52389242

How can a horror game not be "edgy", OP?
>>
>>52389700
Bloodborne is part of the inspiration, but I am aiming for more overall realism than it. Lovecraftian hellspawn monsters here and there, but no one gushing huge torrents of blood and no gigantic swords or anything more advanced than mid-19th century rifles.
>>
>>52389767
So Call of Cthulhu with mostly sleuthing and investigating and minor, non sanity-shattering supernatural elements?
>>
>>52389796
For the atmosphere and some puzzles certainly, but a broader focus. Combat's gonna happen, questing, dungeons, ruins, etc., though I'm trying to put on a spin on it.

Also, no ridiculously gigantic monsters that cause complete sanity breakage just by looking at them. Unless they go too far into the wilderness.
>>
>>52389242
I had a stupid idea of a setting once:
Abraham Van Helsing's wife, having gone insane, was practicing dark magic while the plot of Dracula was going on and traded her soul to bring her son back from the dead. Helsing would come to realize this only after returning from defeating Dracula, finding his wife dead and his son brought back. Obviously, Abraham couldn't tell anyone the truth, but he couldn't kill his own son, so he made the excuse that he found the boy (Issac, for that pottery) as an orphan and then trained his son, who was a pseudo-dhampir, to fight the forces of evil.
The idea was that in addition to active, supernatural evil, the extraordinary ideas popular in 19/20th-century novels, like a hollow earth, monsters hiding in the corners of the earth, Jekyll-Hyde formulas, Atlantis, and electric reanimation are all present.
Considered using Turn of the Century for it. Not sure if it was what you were looking for, but I can drop ideas if you want.
>>
>>52389242
Just don't include those elements?
Writing is all about choices, you can choose not to include steampunk, or excessive edge, or anything else you don't like.
>>
>>52389242
literally Curse of Strahd
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.