[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's /tg/'s opinion on Rollplay, Critical role and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 181
Thread images: 14

File: Rollplay.jpg (18KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
Rollplay.jpg
18KB, 400x400px
What's /tg/'s opinion on Rollplay, Critical role and all the other youtube/twitch pen and paper rpg channels that just record themselves playing a game and upload it for people to watch?
>>
>>52376430
Generally fairly positive, with a couple of autists who get way too butthurt about it.
That's the general consensus from previous threads anyway.
>>
>>52376430
Some are good, some are shit. There are a lot of shows with shitty members and/or shitty production values, but the worst of them all are all the "one true way" mongoloids that run shows.
>>
>>52376430
Im good with Rollplay. Most of them dont know the rules, but they try new things and showcase tons of games.

Critical Role is dead, and it should have the decency to go quietly.
>>
>>52376773
>Some are good, some are shit. There are a lot of shows with shitty members and/or shitty production values, but the worst of them all are all the "one true way" mongoloids that run shows.
Hmn this

Can have 4 great cast members by a shitty 5th really brings it down sometimes.
>>
File: 1290833593990.gif (185KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1290833593990.gif
185KB, 320x240px
>>52376773
>worst of them all are all the "one true way" mongoloids that run shows

Hey buddy, I'm on one of those shows

>DM arbitrarily enforces 'everything you say was said in-universe'
>As in, 'only when it fucks you over'
>Forced to be in-the-moment and can't strategize or discuss our situation at all
>Didn't allow me to explain the rules of combat to a new player
(Newbie: "What should I do now?"
Me: "Well, you just used your standard action but I wouldn't move closer"
DM: "Hey, that's game knowledge")
>This group is a bunch of gamers, not actors, so our character interaction is a tad lacking
>Nobody makes Arcana/Sense Motive/Spot checks and the DM doesn't want to offer too many hints because it would 'take us out of the experience'
>Spent an hour making random chit-chat with someone we were supposed to find, because nobody bothered to ask for his name, and the DM didn't want to hand it to us by having him introduce himself

I don't completely blame the DM. The style of the group (vidya gamers/LPers) doesn't match what the he expected (actors, like on bigger shows). Different mental processes. Lots of growing pains on both sides
>>
>>52376430
Swan Song and West Marches were cool.
Balance of Power tended to flip flop.
Couldn't really get into Court of Swords, liked the setting but the players don't seem to get it.
Blades in the Dark is pretty fun.
Haven't seen any Nebula Jazz, so no comment.
I liked the Dogs in the Vinyard, Die-Kea, Breakers and Feast or Famine one shots but didn't really like Masks.
Liked Dark Heresy, shame TB got hit by the cancer and had to stop.
I started watching post-Neal so I don't really have much to say on the earlier stuff.
>>
>>52376789
>Critical role is dead
Everyone is entitled to their opinion senpai but ill probably disagree with you here. I think it's going great, sure it has its moments when its not to crash hot or can get a little bogged down but what long running ahows dont have those occasional moments. I still find CR enjoyable, why you no like it anon?
>>
>>52376982
Not him
I still watch and enjoy it, but I feel the show is getting a little bogged down. There's no stakes anymore, because none of the characters can ever fully die. Even if they fail the resurrect, all that'll do is lead to another quest to retrieve their soul from the raven queen or something.
>>
>>52376972
Swan song was cool until the last 5 or so episodes
>>
>>52377010
Agree that that it gets bogged down occasionally especially since they finiahed the thordak arc but perma death is a real threat. Granted its a limited one but at least mercer has added some steaks to ressurection as opposed to normal 5e where death eventually becomes a joke. Im pretty sure the next death in Vox Machina will be permanent
>>
File: 1490083697914.jpg (35KB, 400x388px) Image search: [Google]
1490083697914.jpg
35KB, 400x388px
I've had someone leave 5th edition game I was running because "it wasn't like Critical Role". I guess probably because they were in a dungeon fighting monsters doing skill checks and getting treasure, instead of being wacky voice actors or whatever.
>>
>>52376430
I like Thrilling Intent, but that's because it has actual production values.
>>
>>52377098
Can I sign up? I'm sick of 3-5 hour sessions where I roll for something a grand total of twice
>>
>>52377090
He's stated that there will likely not be any permanent deaths before the end of the campaign. The raven queen example wasn't something I made up, that was something he said himself (although I think he said Orcus).
>>
>>52376982
I wouldn't be opposed to them making a new game. And I'll always appreciate their high level game play, because no one that I've found out there (doing live games) is doing high level dnd shit, but it really feels like the story ended after Thordak and Raishan. I get there's some clean-up and post game stuff, but I would feel better (personally) if we heard more about what was happening next.

To me it's kinda like when a TV show tells it's story, and then stays on air because reasons. I think Vox Machina has seen it's duty and done it.
>>
>>52377098
Looks like someone didn't do a session zeeeeroooo

This is why you talk to people about what they want out of a campaign before you start. Sounds like you were doing a dungeon crawler and they wanted a high fantasy adventure.
>>
>>52377147
Idk, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. Matt has a record of coming up with pretty good intros to the next arc. I suspect he's just awaiting his moment.
>>
>>52376430
It depends a lot how sympathetic the different youtube channels are. It generally comes down to the following points:

>Do they inject their political opinion in their games?
>Are they taking it serious?
>Are they making le-sorandomxD YT cancer humours and jokes?
>Do they have a 50s dubstep Intro that's a free AE ressource?
>Are they begging for like, share, comment, subrscribe and check out our twitter, fb, instagramm, g+, reddit, myspace and whatever?

And after that it completely comes down to the group.
>Do they have nice and calming voices or annoying speech impediments?
>Is the GM railroading them through adventures specially designed for a YT episode layout?
>Are they interested in the game or constantly eating, on phone, stacking die, e.t.c.
>>
>>52377147
Yeah pretty much, although apparently there is one more planned arc that should last a while. I want to see them do another 5e campaign after this just so i can see what everyone will roll. Like travis as a wizard or something would be great
>>
>>52377098
That's the real complaint most fa/tg/uys have about the series. It sets up unrealistic expectations for how an rpg works. It's worth watching a few episodes to pick out the good things Mercer manages to do as a DM though.

I'd really prefer if Roll to Hit and Roll to Hit Adventures had more popularity. It's really just a bunch of guys playing D&D, and generally having a good time. Some take their character very seriously, while others create characters like Sherlock Gnomes(who is still enjoyable and does get serious as far as Joke characters go)

Godsfall is for people with Shit taste, or who bought into Virt's spergpost about RPGs are serious business, not for fun.
>>
>>52377141
You got source on this m8? I dont think mercer would do something like that especially since with vax's last death and resurrection matt and liam had something cooked up for a new PC
>>
>>52377236
Well I tried scrolling through his reddit comments to find it or something like it but I got bored. I'll see if I can find a link to it later.
>>
>>52376966
>Hey buddy, I'm on one of those shows
I'm tempted to ask how you got on one, but it seems like it sucks anyway.
>>
File: 1286031921616.jpg (14KB, 404x304px) Image search: [Google]
1286031921616.jpg
14KB, 404x304px
>>52376430
I have never seen a good one. The players are usually very annoying, making constant stupid quips and references like an Avengers movie and butting in with stupid "my guy" bullshit.

>GM: Okay, you come across a river. How will you cross it?
>Player A: Hmm, I'll test how deep it is, maybe we can wa-
>Player B: Okay but like while you're doing that my guy is like pretending it's a trip to the beach and he has like a beach towel on the riverbank and he's putting on sunscsreen XDDDD
>Player C: LOL yeah totally then my guy is like, doing a funny dance or some shit like I don't fucking know XDDD
>GM: O-okay, so Player A you wade into the river and-
>Player D: [Monty Python reference]

Fuck, how am I supposed to sit through that shit? The worst is Twitch streamers playing RPGs because they constantly drop what they're doing whenever the "subscriber alert" players and try to do something "funny." Fuck off just play the damn game.
>>
>>52377313
I'm friends with cute girls who do Let's Play. Kinda piggybacking on them. Also, the DM is a player in a more popular show. He wants his shot at running a game.

>but it seems like it sucks anyway
The guy is used to a higher level of professionalism. We're all trying to get there. It does suck, but I see the light at the end of the tunnel. We all want it to succeed, and from a business standpoint it's better for him and us to keep trying than to sperg out and drop it. But yes, getting there really fuckin' sucks.
>>
>>52377433
>I'm friends with cute girls who do Let's Play.
Okay. Not worth it, then.
>>
>>52376430
The high production value, high profile ones never hold my interest.

The players never really seem to connect to the setting and focus on stringing short term jokes together.
And I don't give a damn about face cams, would rather see the game map.
>>
>>52377163
>Looks like someone didn't do a session zeeeeroooo

That's because session zero is retardedddddd!

> Sounds like you were doing a dungeon crawler and they wanted a high fantasy adventure.

Who gives a fuck what the players want? You don't get to choose what kind of life you live in real life so why you should you get to choose it in a game meant to produce a compelling story? If a TV show tells you beforehand "yeah this is a gritty western post apocalyptic etc etc genre keyword bullshit" then why the fuck would I watch it? Show, don't tell. This is the kind of stupidity RPGs have nowadays.

Session zero is completely unnecessary and can be accomplished in the space of several minutes. "This is a game of D&D starting in X town in Y world, here's a bit about the surrounding world. You can play these races, these races are banned. These classes are banned, or other chargen options in other systems"

Bam. There you go. It can be accomplished in the space of a 10-email-chain. You don't need to devote precious table time to it that could be spent actually playing the game.
>>
File: hmmm.jpg (546KB, 979x832px) Image search: [Google]
hmmm.jpg
546KB, 979x832px
Crit Role is garbage, but all the children like it, so it'll become more popular than we can imagine.
>>
They're shit and they're making our hobby a commodity for even more corporations to get wealthy off. I am so glad I never paid WotC or OPP a cent. Fuck them for putting a pricetag on imagination. And fuck these whores for attempting to monetize our hobby even further.
>>
>>52376972
Court of swords gets better as it goes on. I like it more when it's just the 4 of them without a guest. Adam, JP, Dan, and Max have really good synergy so when a new person comes in it kind of ruins it for me.
>>
>>52377200
>good things Mercer manages to do as a DM though.

Such as? Mercer does absolutely nothing that your average DM doesn't learn to do after about a year or so. And that's without watching Mercer or any of these other goddamn D&D hipster messiahs that are springing up all over the place. All I ever hear is "he involves the players" or "he does good description." Fucking ALL dungeon masters do good description or they don't stay dungeon masters for long because the players kick out their ass and find another dungeon master. Don't give me that "well DMs are a valuable commodity" bullshit, it's somewhat true but it's a fucking platitude clung to by terrible, talentless DMs who think they are hot shit because they charge 5 bucks a session on Roll20 for their shitty autistic DMing. By that metric, and by what I've seen of Roll20 DMs, then myself and my two other DM buddies (we don't play together because we'd constantly be critiquing each other's styles) would be pulling fucking 100 dollars easy. Which is retarded and no one would ever pay that, but my point stands.

See, I learned DMing from the best teacher on this planet: experience. I didn't have Wil Wheaton or Summer Glau or Felicia Day or any of these other goddamn Reddit nerd icons telling me shit, I didn't watch stupid-ass podcasts of other people playing. I actually played. I actually got my hands dirty. That's what this game is about. Not a bunch of pseudo-celebrities sitting around a table. Not watching some dried out roastie screeching when she rolls a 20. Fuck Critical Roll, it's draining the balls out of a new generation of gamers and turning them into a bunch of chucklefucks who think the entire point of RPGs is to produce the largest possible volume of autistic laughter.
>>
I love Critical Role, honestly. Fucking adore it. It's the best thing to happen to tabletop gaming.

Because now as a DM, it can reduce my vetting process to a single question. "Do you like Critical Role?". Answer yes and they stay as far away from my game as possible.
>>
>>52377857

I love you and your vitriol-filled spiel. Tell me, how autistic are you? We might have an opening in one of my games soon.
>>
>>52377774
and yet for some reason you've had players bail from your session because its not what they wanted, wasting both their and your time. I did a 1 hour long session zero with my players and I've never had that problem.

But carry on doing what you're doing, I'm sure its their fault not yours.
>>
>>52376753
>>52377857
Called it
>>
>>52377774
>Ahhhhh my throat is burning what the fuck?!
>Looks like someone drank bleeeeeeeeach
>That's because not drinking bleach is retardedddddd!
You sure showed him anon, how's that Game of Thrones-like Pathfinder game coming along?
>>
>>52377843
Eh. I tried starting back up after the new characters, but I just couldn't get into it.
>>
>>52377843
I haven't watched since I got to day9 or whatever his name was.

His first character wasn't terrible, I guess. I think it would've been fine.

His second character makes my fucking eyes bleed. Couldn't get through the episode where he first appears.
>>
>>52376430
If I knew of any that use an interesting system instead of D&D, I'd watch them.
>>
File: swan song.jpg (136KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
swan song.jpg
136KB, 1280x720px
>>52378586
>>
>>52378586
>Blades in the Dark
>Six Towers gang
>Roll20 presents: Apocalypse World/WoD:Mage/The Sprawl
>all the rollplay r&d shows
>>
>>52377774
Despite the mild scent of autism, this guy is right. Session 0 is a waste of time if you can write a coherent setting document. If your players can't read 3 pages with plenty of whitespace they shouldn't complain about your game. If people show up to a session 0 they feel as if they are already invested. If they just read something it is easier for them to get out.
>>
>>52382628
except session 0 isn't just a chance for the GM to explain the setting, it's a chance for everyone to discuss the kinds of game and story elements they enjoy, and to create a coherent party
>>
>>52376972
Never bothered watching the Light side parts of Balance of Power because I can't stand Kaitlyn as a player, but the Dark side sessions were pretty great in spite of JP trying his best to sabotage the series.
>>
>>52382832
You can do all of this over email, fb, etc. I actually prefer it that way since everything is written down. I can refer back and go "Oh, in this email the catgirl player said he likes sidequests where he can enter kawaii contests".
>>
>>52383246
How was he attempting to sabotage? Honestly haven't been watching them in a while so I'm just curious.
>>
>>52383829
He just kept doing lolrandum stuff for "laughs" and being a general hazard to the group. Maybe some people like that sort of shit, but I don't find That Guys entertaining.
>>
>>52377895
>and yet for some reason you've had players bail from your session because its not what they wanted

Um not really? But nice projecting.

>>52382832
Again, can be done over email much quickly.
>>
>>52376430
I really don't enjoy them. I find most of the players really uncharismatic and annoying to listen to. I also feel it consumes way too much time.

To each his own though, I know people who enjoy it and it's probably just me not being able to watch other people play PnP games. I prefer the abridged version of PnP, stuff like Counter Monkey (RIP) retelling of games or Donjon & Jambon.
>>
>>52376430
I've never watched this, but it sounds like sheer insanity on their part. WHY?!
>>
I've been meaning to watch a couple of episodes to see what the fuss is about, but once I see the run times I end up stopping.
>>
I like Critical Roll well enough. A few of the players can be annoying, at times. I think the show became way more bearable when Tiberius's player left the show. Percy's player is like that edge friend who always thinks they have the correct witty and logical answer. Keleth's player is loud.

Though, I'm looking for any D&D fix since my group disbanded
>>
>>52376430
garbage
>>
>>52384435
Eh, the thing that grinds me most about Percy is how he always insists he's "not a good person" and it's like "No, you're a fine person, you're just stupid at times."
>>
>>52384793

I'd rather have Percy arguing that he's not a good person even though he is than Keyleth thinking she is a good person when she's clearly a selfish autist with a superiority complex.
>>
>>52384814
Fuck I wish she had a superiority complex, when she was freaking out over Vox Machina being celebrated as heroes over liberating the town and killing the huge fuck-off dragon I wanted to reach through the screen and slap her shit.
>>
>>52377098

>fake story about imaginary people you don't like
>frog.jpg

McKill Yourself and Fries
>>
>>52383963
I haven't watched anything with JP for years, but he defiantly has some That Guy tendencies.

He doesn't seem that smart either. When he thinks he's being clever is pretty fucking cringey sometimes.
>>
>>52377774
>Who gives a fuck what the players want? You don't get to choose what kind of life you live in real life so why you should you get to choose it in a game meant to produce a compelling story?

Calling b8.

If it's not b8 then I feel sorry for your players, but on the bright side, it's likely that more of them will flake on you. :)
>>
>>52385498
I think she feels like she has to be the moral compass of the group, since there really isn't one.
>>
>>52377857
The thing that makes Matt Mercer a god-tier DM is that he understands his job. He serves the story, serves the adventure, and he prioritizes the enjoyment of his players over the rules. Obviously, this sort of non-autistic mentality is going to anger Rule Lawyer spergs like yourself. I'm glad it does.

It's entertaining as fuck to watch Critical Role and you should all be sucking Mercer's dick for popularizing DnD/tabletop again. It's getting more people into it and, as you should know as an experienced player, sometimes finding people to play with is the most difficult part of the game.
>>
>>52376430

I used to like the Shadowrun Arcology actual play, but it got kind of shitty. The game got increasingly Pink Mohawk. Not in a good flashy way, but in a handwavy Easy Mode way. A couple of player characters suddenly mutated into freaks too, for entirely out-of-game reasons. I couldn't take the story remotely seriously after that.

That guy Dan (in fact That Guy) who played Roland and Swarm was always annoying but the other players were good. The recordings were so much better when Dan wasn't there. He talked a lot of pointless meme-tier shit OOC, and IC he was very pushy and was always trying to hog the spotlight with his combo drone-rigger/face character. He had a creepy obsession with torture too, I was glad that the other players and the GM were able to pour cold water on that. I could have put up with most of Dan's shit, but when he revealed his character was a changeling who was basically a lion-man with a snake for a tail, and Swarm's own description ended with the phrase "oh, and he's awe-inspiring", I'd had enough. Along with the general increased goofiness I really didn't have any motivation to hear where the tale went from there.
>>
>>52385879
>you should all be sucking Mercer's dick for popularizing DnD

But DnD is shit.

And popular = more casuals = worse playerbase.

And DMs breaking the rules is usually a lot more about pandering to a spoiled player than it is about making things flow well.

But I can tell you're a casual DnDfag, so there's not going to be any reasoning with you. Enjoy your shit. Meanwhile I'll be patricianing it up with good games, played by the rules, played with veteran players. Stay pleb.
>>
>>52385859
Maybe she should learn to read the room.
Seriously, I hate how she plays like keyleth has 8 wisdom and 4 charisma. The funny part is she's a "gurl power!" feminist who "kicks ass and takes names" irl.
>>
File: all-smiles.jpg (16KB, 499x487px) Image search: [Google]
all-smiles.jpg
16KB, 499x487px
>>52385925
>Meanwhile I'll be patricianing it up with good games, played by the rules, played with veteran players. Stay pleb.
I can't believe people with your level of autism exist in the real world. But yeah, I'll keep having a blast playing tabletop games with my friends.
>>
>>52377774
>Who gives a fuck what the players want?
Literally stopped reading there. You're the absolute worst kind of DM if you think like this. The objective of any tabletop game is to have fun, you autist, and for your players to have fun. Are you so socially unaware that this is lost on you? Christ, I bet people drop from your games like flies.
>>
>>52385964
>reaction image and buttblasted response
>tries to accuse others of autism

Kek, the irony.

I know that you're afraid of me. :)
>>
>>52386215
'Fun' is a hollow concept because it simply denotes enjoyment. It doesn't contain any sense of quality or merit and can't be used as a comparative measure. Using 'fun' as the prime metric is merely retreating into limp post-modern relativism where sitting around blowing rasberries is held to be every bit as good as mastering a musical instrument, writing the great American novel, or collaborating with others in a tabletop RPG to create a narrative and solve complex problems. 'Fun' is the term people turn to when they've run out of arguments.

If someone says the most important factor in an RPG is to 'have fun', it's a surefire sign that they understand nothing deeper and won't be invested in anything game-related. Their PCs will be a shallow collection of 'quirky' traits, in-game they'll be on their phones half the time and spouting memes the rest. GMs who worship at the altar of 'fun' are those who never really challenge their players - encounters are never lost, quests are never failed, and PCs never die, all because the GM fudges the dice and handwaves away any flaws in the players' plans. Every retarded meme idea that the lolsorandumbs come up with will be pandered to. Every Mary Sueflake character concept will be allowed. There will be no coherent plan for the campaign because the GM just wants to provide 'fun' in some pathetic, desperate bid for approval.

I avoid playing with anyone who throws the term 'fun' around casually. I look for players who have a bit of depth. If they say things like "I enjoy a mathematical challenge" or "I take pleasure in exploring the setting lore from within and deconstructing its problematic binary-opposites" or "I like finding solutions to the fictional problems we come across in our game" then I know I'm talking to someone who is not an idiot, and they might be alright. If they just say "Lol i play 4 le fun XDDDDD" then I am talking to another retard from the Cult of Fun, and their influence will only be negative.
>>
>>52386215
>The objective of any tabletop game is to have fun

Not at all true. For example, if a player in my group watches or enjoys Critical Roll, Cards Against Humanity, Big Bang Theory, World of Warcrap (craft, really, but it's such a fucking stupid game I can't resist), Dark Souls, Sky Rim, Steven Universe, Homestruck, My Little Pony, Rick and Morty, or any cartoon in general really, or any anime (unless they keep it to themselves enough to never mention it), I immediately make a mental note that their fun is not the priority. Why? Because they often draw inspiration for how they play, how they act in game, and what kind of characters they make, from these influences. Skyrim faggots always want to play some argonian homebrew bullshit. MLP shitters want to do some sort of pony character (same with furries and foxes, and I kick furries from my games outright). And people constantly make stupid-ass references to Rick and Morty and Steven Universe, which do not belong in my RPG campaigns at all.

So no, I do not care for the enjoyment of, nor do I take suggestions from, the kinds of people who enjoy this kind of garbage media. Why? Because they try to inflict that garbage onto my games and ruin any semblance of tone every time they open their mouths. They can stay but I am not pandering to their stupid prepackaged shit they want. Invent your own character. Nothing anime related. No furry characters. If you want to do that kind of shit, you'll have fun watching absolutely zero percent of the campaign relate to you, and more than likely you will be outirght killed for acting like a demon from the 21st century.
>>
>>52386292
>>52386338
>these faggots that have forgotten the G in RPG stands for 'game'
It must pain you greatly that the types of players/DMs that you're shitting on enjoy a much more rewarding experience than you do. It seems like you're intent on sabotaging your own happiness by looking for any possible flaw in the game you're playing and that's really unfortunate.

I was raised on tabletop games. I played with my family starting from the time I was 10 years old. Fun has always been the most important thing. In pursuing it, you meet challenges. In overcoming them, you find fulfillment in the game. In becoming fulfilled by the experience, you do inevitably have fun. You're oversimplifying what fun is to serve your own narrative.

Try to look beyond your own confirmation bias and actually find some kind of enjoyment in roleplay. Otherwise, what's the point?
>>
>>52386292
Nice pasta, buddy.
>>
>>52386292
>>52386338
Do either of you two have friends or are you entirely reliant on roll20 to find players for your games? Given that both of your posts are thick with autism, I'm going to imagine the latter. That's probably your issue right there.
>>
>>52386019

It's clearly a case of "Improv comedians using D&D as a situation generator" more than an actual podcast of guys playing tabletop RPGs, but their banter is great enough that I don't care.
>>
>>52386262
Are you gonna teleport behind him?
>>
>>52385937
In pf where they started Keyleth had 6 Charisma. Half elf bonus and a +2 in 5e meant she suddenly had a bump, but she still played it the same way.

Not that it's an excuse, she tends to demonstrate the least amount of growth or change.
>>
My wife started watching Critical Role with me, and then joined my campaign. Same with my buddy Dave and his wife. The first time I came home to her flipping through the PHB was pretty awesome.

So that alone is enough reason to love it.
>>
>>52385925
I feel sorry for you. Using your love of one RPG over another to somehow feel better than someone else? If your ego needs that much attention I suggest doing something other than arguing roleplaying games on 4chan. Think about it. Even if you reply to this, think about what you're doing with your life right now. You're just as much of a loser as the rest of us. Don't think liking one foreveralone game over another makes your life any less terrible.
>>
>>52387413
At least Grog and Scanlan now Tarryon can pick up her slack.
Oh fuck, I think we've covered Keyleth enough, but tell me I'm not the only one who rolls my eyes into my skull whenever Vax wanks it to the Raven Queen. He is the reason I hate that deity now.
>>
>>52387610
Vax is getting increasingly unbearable, going from unremarkable to downright annoying over the last 20 or so episodes.
>>
>>52385925
>But I can tell you're a casual DnDfag, so there's not going to be any reasoning with you. Enjoy your shit. Meanwhile I'll be patricianing it up with good games, played by the rules, played with veteran players. Stay pleb.

Hoo boy, this smells like fresh copypasta to me!
>>
Are there any recommendations for series that don't play DnD and isn't Rollplay? DnD really isn't my thing and I can't stand the host of Rollplay (itmejp, or whatever he's called).
>>
>>52390756
If you're still ok with a Rollplay show Nebula Jazz doesn't feature JP at all.
>>
>>52390809
Ok, great! I have to try it. Thanks!
>>
>>52390756
JP had a mute character for the first couple arcs of Mirrorshades
>>
>>52377857
>because we'd constantly be critiquing each other's styles
You sound like jerks.
>>
>>52381910
Sadly you can get through these shows in a moment, except swan song and mirrorshades, but even those shows got cancelled.
>>
>>52384134
Money.
>>
>>52386338

>World of Warcrap

People under 18 aren't allowed to use 4chan, anon.
>>
>>52377774
This bait deserves another reply
>>
>>52382628
>coherent setting document
>3 pages

Is this a common thing? I'd kill to have a multi-page setting primer when I'm building a character. I usually need to coax my GMs into revealing enough about the game beforehand to make a halfway usable character.
>>
File: The Adventure Zone Flat_65.jpg (55KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
The Adventure Zone Flat_65.jpg
55KB, 500x500px
Thoughts on Pic related?
>>
>>52390756
geeklyinc does a few podcasts
their main is drunks and dragons which is obviously d&d but they also have a coc podcast and a series called ramdom encounters where they try out other rpgs.
They've played gamma world, shadowrun, fiasco and some kind of firefly related game
The d&d cast are pretty interesting and they aren't "holier than thou" rpg experts for the most part.
>>
>>52376966
Yeah that sound about like everything I would hate in a DM.
>>
>>52386262
>>52385925
I want to win this argument, but I'm far too lazy to care, analyze what you're actually saying, or construct a meaningful argument, so I'm just going to reply using various Lorem Ipsum generators until I can brow-beat your argument by having the last word. Just assume it's another turbo-autist spergpost about why you're wrong and reply accordingly.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn. Stell'bsnaagl, ron li'hee gotha chtenff li'hee h'uln, hlirgh naflNyarlathotep n'gha f'shogg h'athg. Y'hah mg n'gha hupadghor sgn'wahl f'shagg uln 'bthnk grah'n sll'ha f'ooboshu Shub-Niggurath y-chtenff, vulgtlaglnoth vulgtlagln s'uhn h'uh'e Tsathoggua Hastur ah gnaiih ftaghu hrii hafh'drn. Y-Cthulhu ron uh'e Yoggoth 'ai phlegeth grah'n y-orr'e, throd Shub-Niggurath naron n'gha y-Yoggoth. Hrii shtunggli wgah'n 'fhalma chafh'drn kadishtu cNyarlathotep n'gha gebog ftaghu y-orr'e, hrii ah sll'ha gof'nn mnahn' ee sgn'wahl r'luh. Tsathoggua naflzhro syha'h ilyaa nggnaiih ph'nilgh'ri cgof'nn lloigyar Dagon ee r'luh h'ilyaa, uaaah h'Shub-Niggurath uaaah ah shugg ehye nog gnaiih bug h'stell'bsna, chtenff Dagon nglui ehye ep ngnglui shogg Tsathoggua gof'nn Dagon.
>>
File: Drink and smoke.gif (2MB, 220x165px) Image search: [Google]
Drink and smoke.gif
2MB, 220x165px
>>52397485
>>
>>52376430
They need to do more editing.
>>
>>52377191
That's why I stopped watching Rollplay, I'm terrified the fucking forever DM is going to go off the handle one day and just lib the shit out of one of those shows
>>
>>52377200
>It sets up unrealistic expectations for how an rpg works.
What?

Some GMs don't do voices because they're really bad at it and their group doesn't care. But otherwise voice acting is pretty part-and-parcel, even for old school players.
>>
>>52395510
Fairly alright. It's fairly light on playing the rules for the sake of having fun with it but they know when to sober up on that. All of them have some level of growth in how they play. The DM makes good background music. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq8u3jjR8DM
Peaked at The Crystal Kingdom and Eleventh Hour.
>>
>>52395510

Pretty damn entertaining and genuinely funny as long as your not the kind of person that listens and rages when rules are used wrong or not at all.
>>
>>52399936

That seems a bit unfair, I mean hes a clear SJW east van hipster garbo monster but he never injects that stuff into the Rollplay games.
>>
Has anyone seen Lost Initiative? I think it's fairly entertaining so far.
>>
>>52395510
I like the McElroys and the show.
Griffins stories are a bit cringe sometimes though.
>>
>>52400206
Same with Critical Role, it's hilarious to see people flip shit at Mercer after games for doing shit like not referring to the gender-neutral dragon as they/them.
I also remember people were tearing into him on twitter when they thought he had killed Gilmore.
>>
Unforgotten Realms Live is fun but they use a homebrew
>>
>>52401217
Wasn't that an animated webseries?
>>
>>52401296
the original unforgotten realms was but the guys behind it adapted it into an RPG. They're releasing the tiles and cards for table top sim later this year or so
>>
>>52401344
Might check that out.
>>
>>52401357
it's pretty awesome, I'd recommend starting from something like tower of ultimate wizardry, or an unexpected discovery
>>
>>52385879
>The thing that makes Matt Mercer a god-tier DM is that he understands his job. He serves the story, serves the adventure, and he prioritizes the enjoyment of his players over the rules.

So I'd be a god-tier DM if I sucked my players dicks?

> Obviously, this sort of non-autistic mentality is going to anger Rule Lawyer spergs like yourself. I'm glad it does.

It's more that he cares more about lolzrandumb faggotry than creating an actual setting or campaign. The players' fun follows from that. Unless you're a stupid ADHD Dark Scrolls-playing faggot.

> It's entertaining as fuck to watch Critical Role

No it's not. Unless you are Amish, it's really not.

> you should all be sucking Mercer's dick for popularizing DnD/tabletop again.

I don't want D&D to be popularized again. Why do I care? The more popular the game gets, the shittier the edition and rules get. Literally a downward spiral since AD&D.

> as you should know as an experienced player, sometimes finding people to play with is the most difficult part of the game.

You should know that finding GOOD people to play with is the important part. Mercer is doing the equivalent of importing loads of retarded immigrants who can't speak English and want free welfare. Piss off. No one wants these new players and their shitty attitude. If anyone should be sucking dick, it's Matt Mercer, for Wizards of the Coast for not finding a way to sue Critical Roll into oblivion. Of course, knowing what a faggot Merals is, he probably supports them.
>>
>>52385964
>But yeah, I'll keep having a blast playing tabletop games with my friends.

So will I. The difference is I will be having fulfilling fun as opposed to "LMAO another Nat20 I just seduced the guard captain you have to say yes or you're a bad DM because Matt Mercer does it on Critical Roll and he's the best DM evarrr!!"
>>
I once watched a bunch of southern rednecks playing D&D and it was fucking hilarious, wish I could remember the channel.
>>
>>52386472
Kek. The funny thing is, I actually have four IRL groups, while I bet you and most of /tg/ are still trolling Roll20 applications looking for someone to let you play your catgirl bard.

>>52387509
> two more roasties playing TTRPGs is a good thing.
> that alone is reason to love it

I think you and I value different things. I play RPGs for creative outlet and fulfillment and enjoyment. You play because your marriage is falling apart and you are desperate for common ground with your wife before she decides to look up her college boyfriend on Facebook.
>>
>>52403198
>Of course, knowing what a faggot Merals is, he probably supports them.

Joke's on you, Merals tweets at the cast of CR to tell them how much he appreciates the exposure. D&D beyond makes you login through your Twitch account.

It's literally the future of the hobby and you can't stop it
>>
>>52377137
Does your GM make the game "soft"?

Mine just wanted us to move past story checkpoints and not introduce challenges to our progress but it sucks when that happens.
Avoiding complexity in the game, as it were. Like passive railroading, maybe.
>>
Was a fan of Rollplay, not anymore. What I enjoyed about it doesnt exist in it now days.
>>
>>52376972

Have to agree with this on most of them. Loved Swan Song, West Marches, and Mirrorshades. The one-shots are all really good IMO, and so were most of the R&D shows (except Pendragon and Numenera). Nebula Jazz is really fun, but I'm biased because I love Fate. Blades in the Dark is what keeps me watching the channel.

>Couldn't really get into Court of Swords, liked the setting but the players don't seem to get it.

This, so much. I wish the players had gotten into the setting, but I watched the first twenty-something weeks, and every single character could have come straight from the Forgotten Realms. The whole southeast Asian mythology thing seemed really cool, but all the elements that made it that were solely on the GM's side. That stuff falls flat if players don't embrace it.
>>
>>52403258
>roasties

>>/r9k/

Pls go home, we're full up on incels
>>
Critical Roll is scripted. My best experiences with filmed games come from people recording the games they have with their friends. I like PAX a lot since Chris runs the game the way I run it.
>>
A year or more ago, I had a group that wanted to get into streaming.
I thought it was a dumb idea but went along with it since I have no qualms nor shame.
The GM didn't like my idea for streamname though.
"Give her the d20."
I thought it was pretty good. Progressive, shows inclusiveness, and showcases that we have and respect the women in our group. The girls loved the name.
Oh well. It fell through anyway and I had to quit the group because of my work schedule fucking my life.
>>
>>52377820
Name a fun hobby that is not monetized by corporations, cucko.
>>
>>52409542
Love.
>>
>>52409786
>I'll take Corporate Holidays for 500.
>A Holiday where it is seen as mandatory to buy your partner or love interest a gift of sweets or presents.
>What is Valentines Day?
>>
>>52409843
One day you will understand what I mean. But not today.
>>
>>52377857
>then myself and my two other DM buddies (we don't play together because we'd constantly be critiquing each other's styles)
Fuck this is actually spot-on for me. I used to play games with other frequent GM until he kept acting like a vitriolic and smarky interview reviewer anytime there was an issue with the campaign I was running, no matter how minor. He didn't stick around long after I told him to stop being a dick. As importance as it is for GMs to receive critique so they can improve, there's some people who need to learn how to actually give good critique first.
>>
>>52395510
From the perspective of someone who doesn't play D&D (and so doesn't get upset about rules), it's fun and strikes a good balance between jokes and serious.

It's becoming increasingly obvious that Magnus is significantly less effective at doing anything than the other two though.

It's also one of the only two shows on MaxFun that doesn't get shat up with endless "we're liberal and that's wonderful"
>>
>>52377774
>Who cares what the players want
Are you the "fun is a cuck measure and not the point of roleplaying" autist?

>>52382628
When it's your first time together ever, all the emails in the world will never let you know if you and your players can handle multiple hours of each other's presence in a small room.

Otherwise I agree. As long as your email conversations are extensive enough, they can make an excellent virtual session zero, but should be reserved for players whose presence IRL you know you can handle.

>>52409542
Not him, but romhacking :^)
>>
File: 14975874984.png (346KB, 1016x633px) Image search: [Google]
14975874984.png
346KB, 1016x633px
>>52410290
On Their twitters they totally have an SJW mentality, but they don't let it infect their work to much and I respect them for that

>Which is better, to be born politics free, or to overcome your own politics through great effort?
>>
>>52410380
The brothers are fine when it's just them and their dad, but they slip straight into politicising everything the minute their friends or wives appear (Sydnee is especially bad, which is a shame because she ruined Still Buffering and her little sister is great).
>>
>>52407504
I'm not an incel, though.
>>
>>52410380
Kim was a mistake
>>
>>52383246
I think the best moments were when Jesse just rolled with what JP was trying to sabotage and made it into part of his plan. Jesse was a damn fine Imperial.
>>
>>52385605
JP has said his problem is he's been doing ti too long. So he finds a lot of moments repetitive or too similar to what hes done before. Since he hasn't got Neal to constantly press danger on the group, the later DMs are more forgiving, so JP tries to make the game more intense.
>>
>>52410973
Not a fan of his solo content, but Jesse tends to be the best player in whatever Rollplay show he's in.
>>
>>52400206
He has in the past. Mirrorshades first season was full of the Catholic KKK and crusher (itmeJP) openly disrespecting said group, and making damn sure they knew his name, his number, and where he lived, earned him tons of bonus xp with no repercussions. Swansong had that one singer who got abducted by the Catholic KKK, again, and they prayed her gay away with (hinted at) electrical shock therapy.

Back to mirror shades, the shady Mayan group that had a scientist mind wiped (I stopped watching about now so I dunno how this turned out)had all the trappings of a christian belief based cult.(particularly the one in Texas that burned themselves alive when the FBI came knocking with a APC and the local Nat Guard as backup)

His hate boner for religion is why I stopped watching the series he was a GM because it just got tiring to see the story get derailed by it. Describing every member they went up against or captured as a template of a stormfag, down to swastikas and a bald head. Super fucking tiring and very uncreative, especially when he'd go into great 20+min scenes of how crusher bled on a stormfag and let him know he "lol he bled 4 it sinz you fucking cis shitbag!" Or the abduction of the pop singer in swan song (he described clergy robes as their attire)

>>52407236

Their first GM ? (whatever his name is, he was a good GM the older series didn't grab me as well as stuff post Dark Heresy did)
Silent0? Zeke? West Marches as a whole?
Please tell me it isn't EGincontrol.
I mean I loved that series and I actually liked Adam "my mom was a pink parrot" Kobal's character.
>>
>>52376430
A mate referred to me to Thrilling Intent recently. I like it so far. It doesn't get bad later on, right?
>>
File: 4w64263.gif (51KB, 192x224px) Image search: [Google]
4w64263.gif
51KB, 192x224px
>>52377774
>That's because session zero is retardedddddd!

I honestly hate the fact this isn't bait and you actually exist, do everyone a favor, quit playing D&D and fucking off yourself. The game is obviously not for you.
>>
>>52411673

I think "Religion as bad guys" goes far beyond the scope of SJW agenda and personally have no problem with it being a reoccurring theme, but yeah I could see why it would grind on some people.

I actually find JP to be the most annoying character on Rollplay stuff but really like Adams GMing style, probably why I prefer a lot of the Roll20 Presents shows like Burning Wheel
>>
>>52417104
I'm pretty sure he's opposed to session 0 as being obligatorily a real life thing, not as a concept
Sure it's still retarded, because you need to know how autistic or smelly your players are IRL (and, for real, how much chemistry you have together).
But it's not as retarded as it could be
>>
Critical Role is garbage, but all the children like it, so it's popular.
>>
>D&D but with zany bazingas and epic quips!!
fuck you, fuck off
>>
>this whole thread
>no RPPR

easily the best. very little wackiness, and it's run by guys who actually write RPGs. they know what they're doing, and they do it well.

The "God's Teeth" delta green series is top notch.
>>
>>52419034
I tried listening a while back but I got turned off by the poor audio quality and the bad case of samevoice. Where would you recommend as a jumping in point?
>>
It's scripted.
>>
>>52417308
>but all the children like it, so it's popular.
But why do all the children like it
>>
>>52417104
Except D&D has gone years without session 0, it doesn't need it, it's made up bullshit.
>>
>>52423380
>Except D&D has gone years without session 0, it doesn't need it, it's made up bullshit.
>everything which isn't 42 years old is made up bullshit
good to know
>>
>>52377191
>50s dubstep intro
What is that? Examples?
>>
>>52376430

I enjoy watching Sargon of Akkad play Cyberpunk. It reassures me that I'm a passable DM, because I know I'm better than him.
>>
>>52382628
>3 page setting document
Speaking of autism...

How vain do you need to be to force your players to read through your shitty kitchen-sink fantasy trash? Would you read one of their 3 page character backgrounds? Fuck no, because no one cares.
>>
I imagine this is probably a controversial topic here especially with all the rostie posties ITT but what's the consensus on I Hit It With My Axe? It got me into DMing a number of years ago although I haven't followed them since they stopped on escapist.
>>
>>52424074

Not sure about about the show, but he made A Red and Pleasant Land and Blue Medusa which are good from what I understand.
>>
>>52376430
I watched those old yogscast ones when they came out and thought they were alright

i think it would take a lot of talent and effort on the GM's part to really make something compelling to watch, though
>>
>>52423505
50 seconds, I think.
>>
>>52414733
God's no, if anything the character development / arcs are of a pretty honest quality. It slows down a bit when going through "the gods are dead" arc but that's my only complaint thus far.
>>
I watched some of the early d&d ones they did in 2e, some of the earlier r&d stuff.

It was pretty good, though I stopped because more and more stuff started to pop up.

What's worth watching now?
>>
I've tried watching critical role and rollplay because other players in my group talk about them a bunch, but I can't get far into the first episode without getting bored. Does it get better as it goes along or is it just not for me?
>>
>>52425197
Speaking only about CR, it definitely improves. Maybe try again starting on the second or third arcs (trial of the take and briarwoods), they're generally considered the peak of the series so far.
>>
>>52425197
I find rollplay largely bareable, but critical role I just can't stand because of the cringe the poorer roleplayers in the group cause. I'm one of those people that has second-hand embarrassment, so that shouldn't surprise me, but people here talk about how it's good so I try it once in a while. Never sticks.

The individuals on rollplay are usually moderately intelligent and capable roleplayers, so I can watch it sometimes. Sometimes. What rollplay series/season have you tried watching?
>>
>>52425288
I usually find any cringe put out by Marisha/Keyleth and Liam/Vax is well-offset by the awesome Travis/Grog and Sam/Scanlan add. Sam Riegal especially is a fucking god of roleplay.
>>
>>52425716
I'd rate Travis way above Sam. Sam plays the same quirky guy regardless of character he's actually supposed to be playing. Granted he's very good at playing captain quirk, but ultimately there isn't much variety. Travis only played two characters, but at least they seemed a little different, from dumb as a brick to dangerously clever.

Don't get me wrong, Sam is great, but I'd argue that there's more to being a god of roleplay than what he does.
>>
>>52424691
Thrilling intent is worth it for the later arcs but apparently critical role has hit a slow point.
I also love the songs made for each thrilling intent character.
>>
>>52384187
This.

How do you people watch these for three hours at a time? Second monitor? Listen to them while doing something else?

If you want actors and a story, in three hours you could watch a movie (or two).
>>
>>52427745
Listen whilst doing something else. If something interesting seems to be going down, tab back in and skip back 30 seconds.
>>
File: one-shot-itunes.png (260KB, 1400x1400px) Image search: [Google]
one-shot-itunes.png
260KB, 1400x1400px
>no one talking about the best podcast

One Shot is incredible and, while it tends to the sillier side of things on most occasions, never fails to impress me. The Fung Shue episodes are by far my favorite.

Also on the topic of podcasts, anyone got any call of Cthulhu or like-minded system podcast recommendations?
>>
I'm not a big fan of them but I won't flame people who do. It just isn't really my type of thing.
>>
>>52377433
>higher level of professionalism

What you describe seems very unprofessional
>>
>>52420629
funny voices
poop jokes
Grog
>>
>>52377147

They still have Vecna to deal with.
>>
>>52424074
Zak is a good writer and good DM. He might be opinionated, but he usually has something genuinely interesting or useful to say.
>>
>>52427895
I know Critical Hit did a 8 or 9 episode CoC game recently during their between-season break, but I don't know of any specifically Call of Cthulhu podcasts.
>>
Fiasconauts is my jam. Especially the Regina's Wedding episode.
>>
>>52429462
Here's hoping Vecna wins and kills the Raven Queen.
>>
I tried the first episode of critical role and i thought it was shit. The characters/feel was too neo-blizzard for my tastes. But i didn't bother listening to the whole thing so
>>
File: 1479975860110.jpg (59KB, 453x439px) Image search: [Google]
1479975860110.jpg
59KB, 453x439px
>>52399936
>I can't watch thing because I'm afraid someday someone MIGHT say something I disagree with
Holy shit
>>
>>52434144
The first episodes are the roughest. The episode that really got me into Critrole was episode 12. Ignore the faggot in the unicorn outfit, the guys playing the dwarves make up for his tryhardism, they're some of the funniest motherfuckers I've seen.
>>
>>52434144
>>52434324
Seconding this, it really does get better. I'd definitely recommend starting around episode 12 or so, after they'd settled into the format a bit.
>>
>>52401344
>>52401217
The original unforgotten realms was fucking genius, one of the funniest things on the internet, but the flash animation reboot is just sad. Can't believe he deleted his old vids, but people reuploaded them of course
>>
>>52423636
I'm not talking about 3 double sided pages, that is too much I agree. It isn't just world history as well... It is faction info, info on races that don't align with the standard DnD tropes, character creation rules (race/class restrictions etc.), general description of world 'tone' and a small map of the starting area.

If you can't focus long enough to read 3 pages about the place you are going to be spending all that time then you are shitty player.
Thread posts: 181
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.