[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who is the most powerful in terms of raw power and metaphysical

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 214
Thread images: 28

File: cthulhu.jpg (44KB, 540x405px) Image search: [Google]
cthulhu.jpg
44KB, 540x405px
Who is the most powerful in terms of raw power and metaphysical fuckery? Cthulhu and his bros or the chaos gods?
>>
>>52348938
On the cosmic scale, Cthulhu is barely of notice.
>>
>>52348938
Cthulhu got BTFO by a boat, so not him.
>>
>>52348938
Azathoth might be comparable to the chaos gods. He might be greater then them.
>>
>>52348938
If you try to define metaphysics or metaphysical entities using empiricism and material science you are not very smart.
>>
Demonbane
>>
major Lovecraftian gods >>> chaos gods > lesser Lovecraftian gods
>>
>>52349166
Azathoth is existance itself. The chaos gods don't even register on his scale. They're not even close to Nyarlathotep, Shub-Niggurath or Yog-Sothoth.
>>
>>52348938

The Cthulhu mythos, obviously.

Its really easy, lets break it down.

Azathoth creates all of the different worlds and universes by dreaming. Ever dimension real or imagined, every life, every god is just a dream and he is the dreamer. Should he ever awake, everything else would cease to exist like the last words of a dying man with no one to hear them. This is an absolute certainty, so, everyone has to be actively working to avoid it.

The Chaos gods, in comparison, hold as their ultimate goal to destroy the MATERIAL universe and sink it into the warp. Basically just taking one single dimension and changing the rules it plays by so they get to be strong there too. Not only is this goal, in itself, not even a fraction of the devastation of Azathoth's dream ending, the chaos gods haven't event pulled it off yet. In fact, its sort of only on their word that he even have any reason to believe that its something that they CAN do.

And then there is the fact that the Chaos gods are, essentially, bloated parasites begging for scraps. Khorne, Slaneesh, Nurgle and Tzeentch all have to draw power from mortal emotions and other forces. Remove their food supply, and they would shrivel up and die. They can't do anything in our world without human agents to act through and prepare the way.

Cthulhu and Yog-Sothoth and the like barely even notice that humanity exists. The whole point of the Call of Cthulu is that humanity is so insignificant that when Cthulu wakes up his psychic yawning will drive humanity to madness and death not out of malice, but just unfortunately proximity. Like a bunch of animals on a volcanic island, unlucky enough to be around when it erupts and kills them all with ash and fire. The Great Old Ones don't need us, they don't give a shit about us, and the human cults that worship them are just grasping at straws in the hope that their service will be noticed and recognized and they will be rewarded or spared (they won't).
>>
>>52349268

To be fair 'lesser lovecraftian gods' are usually basically just normal monsters that humans started praying to in the hopes of making it leave them alone. The only reason we don't consider the Shoggoth to be a god is because there was more than one of it and if you sacrifice a goat to it the shoggoth will kill you anyway.
>>
File: lovecraft-bestiary.jpg (422KB, 1280x1792px) Image search: [Google]
lovecraft-bestiary.jpg
422KB, 1280x1792px
>>52349406
not true at all
>>
>>52349491

A categorized bestiary misses the point of Lovecraft so fucking hard it's practically on another planet.
>>
>>52349138

He wasn't supposed to be awake yet - the stars weren't actually right, he was woken up early by the cultists.
Think of like waking up at 2am, and deciding to get up and stumble on into the kitchen and see if there's any cake left in the fridge, and then you stub your toe on something, shout a bit and then say forget it, I'm going back to bed.
That's Cthulhu and the boat. When he wakes fully, nothing mankind can do will stop him from awakening the other old ones and reclaiming the world.
>>
1. The universe is contingent on Azathoth's dream-state and Azathoth is contingent on the universe and thus contingent on his own dream-state. Azathoth is dreaming the universe and he is the universe and thus he is his own dream.

2. Azathoth is mindless and non-rational and passively pursues his "goals" in the same way that a ball "desires" to roll down a hill.

3. Also like a ball rolling down a hill, Azathoth's impetus is to follow the path of least resistance to the point of lowest order and energy. That is, Azathoth's impetus is to cease to exist. Since Azathoth and the universe are contingent on each other, this means the universe will also cease to exist.

4. Azathoth is prevented from realizing this impetus by the outer gods who want to exist. They maintain his dreamstate knowing that if he woke up all realities and unrealities would immediately terminate.

5. Instead, Azathoth attains a vicarious annihilation by imbuing his impetus on all living things. Azathoth is the urge to kill and destroy and consume past our means, but also to reproduce because more growth means more death. Reality is Azathoth's temple and every atom within it worships Azathoth.

Everything that's ever happened is just an emergent property of God's eternal self-mutilation. Gay-ass chaos gods don't even come close.
>>
>>52349668
No, I don't think so. Take a closer look at it. A Shoggoth for instance is just a biological building machine, while Cthulhu is a timeless deity. You even read Lovecraft? At the Mountains of Madness?
>>
>>52349750
daaaaaamn
>>
>>52349675
Except a bigger boat.
>>
File: The Truth about Chaos.jpg (525KB, 904x1321px) Image search: [Google]
The Truth about Chaos.jpg
525KB, 904x1321px
>>52348938
The Ruinous Powers doesn't stand alone. One can argue that they are aspect of a single entity. This entity is the same infinte-eternal of Chaos; this divine force is called Chaos Undivided.

This All-Encompassing Might is All-powerful.

Azathoth and the Great Undivided may have the same ability to influence; of course one cannot be certaily sure in questions of the immaterium. Such is glourious surprising and ever-changing joy that is the Primordial Truth.
>>
File: The Glory of Chaos.jpg (570KB, 904x1321px) Image search: [Google]
The Glory of Chaos.jpg
570KB, 904x1321px
>>52349861
>>
>>52349764
Cthulhu isn't a deity, he's a priest-sorcerer.
>>
File: Brain Massage.webm (2MB, 1280x544px) Image search: [Google]
Brain Massage.webm
2MB, 1280x544px
>>52349861
>ruinous powers
>completely unable to ruin anything
>drawing power off of mortal worship and souls
see, you're mistaken about one thing.

WH40K chaos isn't chaos at all. It's entirely mixed and just as stagnant as everythign else in that universe. Cthulhu and his ilk are so much worse than chaos undivided because they can actually exist without anything else. The entirety of the universe could cease to exist, and that would be just fine for them - it's not like THEY'RE tied to a few unimportant dimensions, much less one universe.

IA YOG-SATOTH!.
>>
So,
I'm using Hastur for a comic i'm doing
i've researched the text and i'm familiar with the cult of yellow but there isn't nearly as much about him as i would like and i think he's cool

So what are your opinions on the unspeakable one?
What do you think he should look like without the king in yellow disguise?
What kind of minions other than cultists should he employ?
This is a fantasy setting so any ideas are welcome
>>
>>52349750
Holy shit.
>>
>>52349832
Missing the point anon, as always.

"I killed a chos god, ayup! For the Greater good!"

That character is about how you sound right now.
>>
>>52349919
The Outer-Gods see him as such, but not humanity. To a human, he's an incomprehensibly powerful extra-dimensional cosmic monstrosity. On a person's lips, he might as well just be a name because there's no measuring his power (once he rises from R'lyeh, that is)
>>
File: hastur2.jpg (47KB, 253x400px) Image search: [Google]
hastur2.jpg
47KB, 253x400px
>>52349952
>>52349952
My opinion is that it has potential

pic related is my fav fan art of the King In Yellow
>>
>>52348938
Sargeras and the burning legion is stronger than all of them
>>
>>52349950

What the fuck?
>>
>>52349750
That's pretty metal but khorne would still whoop his ass
>>
>>52349950
You may praise the outer gods. But what use do you have from them? Do you believe that Iok-Shototh will reward, or even spare you, ( not to speak even notice you) because of your devotion?
Maybe you think yourself that if you can prove useful enough slaves of the Great Old Ones, that you may learn to prolong your live centuries beyond the normal span.
Maybe you even desire to be kept around even after the rest of humanity is destroyed - or at least they may be devoured last.

Maybe you even are a true believer who serves simply because you have found the Outer Gods to be real. YOu may have prayed into the dark, something answered. Do even care about your own or do you serve Iok-Shototh because you
simply feel that this is proper place as a mortal to live or die at the whim of the Gods?

Weak are you ,despicable even.
I follow the path of the Chaos Undivided because it is not mereley a pantheon. It is a philosophy, it is the Eightfold Path, it is the Truth behind the curtain and the sin of knowledge, the revelation and the secret, it is many things but not a religion as we understand it. Chaos is freedom, ambition, power and glory, it is damnation but also reward, it is the moment when you break your chains, when you dispose of your humanity and when you embrace something so unfathomable that dives you insane but also ecstatic with the knowledge that your destiny is in your OWN hands.
>>
>>52350106
When an enlightened one exults For Chaos! across the din of the battlefield he evokes this truth, he utters in words what his eye have seen and what his soul has felt when he opened his mind to the truth for the first time. When marching under the banner of Primordial Truth the warrior of Chaos does not favor a Exalted Power in particular way, neither he favors them all, but he is the herald of the Truth, the Truth of which destiny lies beyond the skein, the Truth that follows death, the Truth that power and ambition are rewarded, the Truth where you as an individual can become a literal god, an immortal, a being of such utter power only if you will it, only if you dare it.
>>
>>52350113
Chaos Undivided is not a religion; it is a philosophy, a philosophy of the self interest, of tangible power and the shattering dread of the ultimate Truth. This philosophy teaches a human that if he is ambitious enough he would be rewarded, it teaches him that if he kills with the name of the True Gods on his lips he would catch their eye and receive their boon, it teaches him that one day he can become a demigod, a mortal no more, and all this if he only wills it and dares it.
The Primordial Truth is also the philosophy of the metaphysical, where reality and dogma shatter, a philosophy that teaches its followers that the laws of physic do not exist, that any laws are artificial, that dogma and ad a closed mind lead your soul to be shattered by the dreaded dream predators. Chaos Undivided is a philosophy that teaches you that you have a soul, teaches you that with your dreams you shape the universe and it teaches you that nothing is impossible, everything can be done if only one dreams it.

That is why a chosen one bears proudly the Star of Chaos even if he pledged his allegiance to only a variant of this philosophy, perhaps to Nurgle's teachings, it is because once you pass over the skein of reality and you see the vast landscapes of infinite possibilities nothing can ever be the same and everything becomes possible, all that is required is a simple dream.
>>
File: Wait wat.webm (2MB, 710x400px) Image search: [Google]
Wait wat.webm
2MB, 710x400px
>>52349952
>the king in yellow disguise
It's not a disguise anon.

Hastur is not a deity figure. It's not a being. Hastur is a state of mind, a form of thought process. It exists as a memetic virus does - it's not invoking his name three times that summons him, it's that when you speak his name three times, you open your mind to the possibility that sanity is something that can be overcome, bypassed. The names are a childproof lock on a gate to a much larger, wider universe, filled with things inexplicable, unreasonable, unreal yet factual. You can't think of anything involving the King in Yellow as being something you 'face off against'. Even the play itself is onyl a doorway, a gateway drug that allows you to glimpse behind the curtains and see the universe as far more than it is meant to be seen as, and far less than you can ever hope to understand.

the cultists aren't ever cultists for Him. they're artists, dreamers, and people who just....slipped between the cracks, fell into the abysm of understanding the truth, and the truth is that all truth is lies and fiction, and nothing we can do can change that - but we can change what those truths means and how we perceive them!

Read "The Repairer of Reputations", would you? You'll learn much.
>>
>>52350106
it can get blinked out of existance by a creature that wakes up to scratch it's ass and then goes back to sleep.
>>
>>52350106
>>52350113
>>52350125
And not one iota of what you said matters to the Other gods,m the Outer Gods. They will exist and have existed and will begin forevermore. Your petty little godlings are mere thoughts, mometary extrusions of desires and thoughts mere mortal. What do they matter to the universes that exist elsewhere, elsewhen? they do not. and that is why you and your philosophy do not matter. Universal annihilation would destroy them. Those things beyond cannot be dealt with so easily, or even at all.
>>
>>52350032
i like the claws and the skin robes, those are pretty great
his head/face/upper area isn't as menacing as i would like
do you think hastur should have a mouth and if so what kind of mouth?
also eyes might be too humanizing, but i'd like to hear opinions on that too
>>
All you mother fuckers got nothing on gods of light. When was the last time you ever saw light do anything for itself? Darkness only exists in the absence of light. Your petty edge lord gods of destruction and death mean nothing in the face of supreme justice. This is why evil never wins in the end, evil must always cower and hide in the deep recesses of humanity, afraid to show its face until it's certain it can reign unopposed, afraid to face the light, afraid to face justice. Even if the light fades, it's only for a moment, for just as the sun rises each day, light will return and push the darkness back into the abyss from whence it came.
>>
>>52350100
You know he'd try. Like when players see the stats for a really badass mofo or want to try and kick drizzt's ass. Just because he's there and when else are you gonna have the chance to try it?
>>
File: the yellow sign correctly.jpg (16KB, 336x500px) Image search: [Google]
the yellow sign correctly.jpg
16KB, 336x500px
>>52350187
Just so you know....every time you see the Yellow sign it's upside down.

This is what it was supposed to look like.
>>
>>52348938
Cthulhu isn't even a big deal in his own cosmology.
>>
>>52348938
Cthulu is fucking smalltime, what is this dumb meme?
>>
Is Azathot the greatest paradox of existence in the whole world of fiction?
>>
>>52350221
>>52350235

Not true, Cthulhu is a big deal, it's just that there are far bigger deals out there, and then even bigger ones behind those.
>>
>>52350218
cool thank you
>>
>>52348938
Easy. Time Lords.
>>
>>52349952
>So what are your opinions on the unspeakable one?

I like him more than Cthulhu because he feels grander. That he is not limited on earth but can span entire star empires

>What do you think he should look like without the king in yellow disguise?

Important facets is the Lake Hali, the City of Carcosa and the black Twin Suns in the Hyades. You may try to mix those. For example he is a sentient surface of the Lake or he is all of these. You may know Ruby's Quest, the represantation of an ancient evil was supreme in there.

>What kind of minions other than cultists should he employ?

Sentient art? Creatures based upon books. Orqwith's creatures were good from Morrison's Doom Patrol.

>>52350128
is right
>>
>>52350270
There's other equally cool examples. Have you heard the story of the man who finds out he is god?
>>
File: Doctor Whatthefuck.jpg (102KB, 1280x738px) Image search: [Google]
Doctor Whatthefuck.jpg
102KB, 1280x738px
>>52350317

>yfw Carmen Sandiego steals the Heart of the Tardis
>>
>>52348938
in the grand scheme of things cthulhu isn't even that bad.
>>
>>52350380
The Well of Souls series was excellent.
>>
>>52350411
>stealing anything from Ten
>stealing his TARDIS
I didn't realize she had a death wish. Or a fate-worse-than-death wish.
>>
What would have happened if a human sat on the throne of azathot? Gain his power implode/explode from madness, become a mindless servant? Besides he is full of contradictions, don't you think?
>>
>>52350128
while i appreciate the spookiness of an ever-present infectious madness that can be unlocked by anyone at any time seeing the scope of reality and the infinite, the madness is only part of what i want to use in the comic
this is also a fantasy setting, where gods and goddesses routinely interact directly with humanity
i would like agents of hastur to serve as a creeping antagonistic threat that doesn't make itself known until it's already too late
i may not use hastur as a corporeal entity, i may never say his name out loud in the comic at all
but i do need to finalize ideas about cultists, summoners, and monsters that are under his influence
>>
>>52350457
>not realizing you just read the cultist rant
You almost had it, anon.
>>
>>52350172
Though the gates that stand between the mortal world and the immortal Realm of Chaos are now closed to me, still I would rather die having glimpsed eternity than never to have stirred from the cold furrow of mortal life. I embrace death without regret as I have embraced life without fear.
>>
File: IMG_0009.jpg (538KB, 1280x1837px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0009.jpg
538KB, 1280x1837px
I want to impregnate Shub-Niggurath
>>
>>52350380
I too love Jack Chick's atheism tract.
>>
>>52350380
>>52350380
>Have you heard the story of the man who finds out he is god?
Nope. What's it about, and where can I find it? It seems interesting. Thank you kindly for help.
>>
>>52350449

Oh you can't kill her, only imprison her until she gets bored and decides to break out. The only way to defeat her is to gather some children and go on an edutainment adventure, usually all about learning geography. And even the Tenth Doctor isn't going to murder someone in front of a bunch of kids.
If he even could after she used the Heart to rewrite reality so that everyone knows geography forever
>>
>>52350539

sauce?
>>
>>52351113

Japan.
>>
>>52350297
You are correct, but I was looking at a scale more centered around the upper echelons rather than the perspective of insignificant lesser beings.
>>
>>52349138
And reformed in a few seconds while being still mostly dead. Not exactly a great victory against him
>>
>>52350450
There is no throne, only the universe.

Azathoth is not a humanoid figure, but an immense burning star of hatred and destruction.
>>
File: 1374623112362.gif (920KB, 446x374px) Image search: [Google]
1374623112362.gif
920KB, 446x374px
>>52349950
>"Massage" the right side of the brain
>Right side of the face twitches
>>
>>52351284
Isn't it described as being in the center of some chaos?

"Center" and "Chaos" put together convey more of a feeling of incomprehensible wrongness and simply being beyond everything than any other description that could be applied to it.
>>
File: Overpowered.jpg (353KB, 1100x1270px) Image search: [Google]
Overpowered.jpg
353KB, 1100x1270px
>>52349217
for you
>>
>>52350218
Why?
>>
>>52348938
Cthulhu is a nobody in his own cosmology. He's a fucking priest of beings that are greater him as he is to humanity.
>>
>>52349950
>This is the greatest high, JoJo!
>>
File: 1448505075429.jpg (16KB, 389x198px) Image search: [Google]
1448505075429.jpg
16KB, 389x198px
>>52350099
>>
>>52349491

DERLETH GET OUT

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>52351352

I was annoyed at that as well.
>>
>>52351489
If I recall correctly, that concept originated from the various non-lovecraft stories written by other authors after his death.

You know, the hacks that tried to add a Good/Evil story to a setting that was primarily about ignorance/knowledge. The ones that completely missed the point of cosmic horror.
>>
File: The very picture of integrity.jpg (1MB, 1829x1612px) Image search: [Google]
The very picture of integrity.jpg
1MB, 1829x1612px
>>52349861
>>52349903
I wonder who wrote these?
>>
>>52352214
The text makes reference to being a Slaneeshy follower.
>>
>>52351958
Not necessarily

From The Call of Cthulhu

>They worshipped, so they said, the Great Old Ones who lived ages before there were any men, and who came to the young world out of the sky. Those Old Ones were gone now, inside the earth and under the sea; but their dead bodies had told their secrets in dreams to the first men, who formed a cult which had never died. This was that cult, and the prisoners said it had always existed and always would exist, hidden in distant wastes and dark places all over the world until the time when the great priest Cthulhu, from his dark house in the mighty city of R’lyeh under the waters, should rise and bring the earth again beneath his sway. Some day he would call, when the stars were ready, and the secret cult would always be waiting to liberate him.
>>
>>52348938
Cthulhu gets alot of publicity, but in reality he's babbie-tier in terms of cosmic power. He's just the guy who wakes the really powerful ones up.
>>
>>52351958
>You know, the hacks that tried to add a Good/Evil story to a setting that was primarily about ignorance/knowledge.

Not really true. You can have a conflict between Good and Evil and still be cosmic horror. Just make the Evil completely unfathomable, and alien, something so vile that none can ever understand it. The Good is constantly being pushed back, and can never find a way to truly win. For how can one fight against something that embodies all of existence, and space time?
>>
>>52354230
The good/evil concept that was introduced was, from what I know, about a bunch of good elder gods defeating a bunch of evil outer gods and sealing them away.
>>
File: 1490198350797.jpg (94KB, 463x599px) Image search: [Google]
1490198350797.jpg
94KB, 463x599px
Chaos gods are more fuckable :^)
>>
>>52353221
still yog-sothoth's grandson, that's nothing to fuck with
>>
>>52350587
He did send a bunch of "kids" into battle against lethal scarecrows though.
And we know what happened to the OWNERS of those scarecrows.
>>
>>52355309

>only caring about physical pleasure

Even the low level chaos demons can jack into your brain and give you direct stimulus making you see and feel whatever they want.

Hell a mortal with some good drugs can do it for you.
>>
>>52349986
Have you, personally, seen Slaanesh since?
>>
>>52349668
blame august derleth
>>
>>52357507
Have the Tau ever experienced a full blown Chaos uprising like greater daemons and reality getting fucked in the ass?
>>
>>52350218
that's a safety measure

your post is irresponsible
>>
>>52355912
i know lovecraft wrote letter about all his deities being each other's lovers/offspring, but the man was dying of cancer and fucking delerious. it retroactively ruins his work if you take it seriously. you cannot anthropomorphize the outer gods, because to be an outer god is to be utterly inhuman
>>
>>52351950
>>52351352

Isn't it straight up her hand inside her head pushing the back of the eye and optical nerve with it's movement causing that?
>>
>>52350218

Isn't the original supposed upside down AND backwards to what was printed?

That would mean flipping it on the vertical axis too.
>>
>>52357698
> informing anon how to summon an elder god into the internet
Please don't do this. I want to die, but I don't want to go mad first.
>>
>>52349371
>This is an absolute certainty

>Speaking of the Cthulhu mythos

>absolute
>certainty
>>
>>52349675
Humanity won't even live to see the stars being right and Cthulhu waking up for real. According to Shadows out of Time, IIRC, two entire sentient races evolve and go extinct between humanity's extinction and Cthulhu's awakening. That's how insignificant we are. Arguably the most important event to occur on Earth, and we'll miss it by several hundred million years.

>>52349750
I'd consider Shub-Niggurath the motive for for life, since she's usually associated with life, but since all the Outer Gods (and everything else) are part of Azatoth's dream, they can all be reflections of him anyway. Nyarlathotep just has the distinction of being the least removed from him, but the other Outer Gods are very close too.
>>
>>52350574
Can anyone help?
>>
Chaos just corrupts the Cthulu and co.
>>
>>52348938
A true crossover conundrum. Both CoC and 40k are easy to make threads about crossovers with but I don't know what happens when you crossover two easily crossoverable settings. It sounds like a super crossover or "crisscrossover" if you will. Clearly the only way to find out which one will criss and which one will cross is to make yet another thread about it.
>>
>>52349668
You sir, understand. Most others do not. Well played.
>>
File: 1474031016665.jpg (206KB, 1000x712px) Image search: [Google]
1474031016665.jpg
206KB, 1000x712px
Reminder that Cthulhu is one the weakest of the gods and exists only as a herald to the GOOs.

also
>You will never drink the milk of Shub-Niggurath
>>
>>52358487
>Cthulhu is one the weakest of the gods

Hi, Derleth.
>>
>>52349166
> Azathoth
In the Cthulhu Mythos all of reality is a dream of the slumbering Azathoth. In its court are pipers playing music to keep it asleep so that the dream continues. Power is too weak a word to describe Azathoth.
>>
>>52348938
The elder gods would win. If the big four woke Azathoth, literally all of reality would cease to be, them included.
>>
>>52361452
thats just MAD as everything ceases to be - including azathoth
>>
>>52348938
Lava SHG Emprah > Azathot > Corne > others
>>
>>52361091

From the Dunwich horror:
a quotation from the Necronomicon says of the Old Ones, 'Great Cthulhu is Their cousin, yet can it spy Them only dimly.'

Lovecraft clearly indicated Cthulhu was on a lesser level.
>>
>>52362341

It's quite a stretch from that quote to "one of the weakest gods."
>>
>>52350074
>Burning Legion
>gets btfo by random guys with pauldrons everytime
sure thing, kiddo
>>
>>52348938
Azathoth.
>>
>>52355309
>he doesn't know about the orgies of Shub-Niggurath
>>
>>52349950
Shinobu best girl confirmed.
>>
>>52348938
Cthulhu masterminded a plan that put him as the central mover and shaker in a universe where beings powerful enough to wave the chaos gods out of existence could only hope for a few hundred million year break from Cthulhu while he naps. When Cthulhu wakes back up for real it's back to his shenanigans and his way again. Without Cthulhu you just have the likes of Azathoth and Yog Sothoth. If the chaos gods ever got their attention they run the risk of being erased. Yet beings of such vast power can't do more than unplug Cthulhu's alarm clock because the twerp positioned himself as a cosmic keystone.

Yog Sothoth IS the Warp. Azathoth IS Chaos. Cthulhu would probably only be something like a Tzeentch/Khorne hybrid if not for him quietly maneuvering things into position with a level of intended planning and calculated violence his chaos counterparts have never managed. The chaos gods, true to their name, are too chaotic to pull off any plan that takes longer than a single millennium as they inevitably work against themselves eventually.
>>
>>52349675
But cthulu literally doesn't care almost none of the old ones give two giant shits about you
>>
>>52349138
A creature that crawled out of R'lyeh got BTFO by a boat. The story never makes it clear if that was Cthulhu or not.
>>
Reminder that Lovecraft would not be as big and popular as he is today if it wasn't for August Derleth. Also, people putting their own spin on Lovecraft's mythos was something Lovecraft was okay with.
>>
>>52349371
>The Chaos gods, in comparison, hold as their ultimate goal to destroy the MATERIAL universe and sink it into the warp. Basically just taking one single dimension and changing the rules it plays by so they get to be strong there too. Not only is this goal, in itself, not even a fraction of the devastation of Azathoth's dream ending, the chaos gods haven't event pulled it off yet. In fact, its sort of only on their word that he even have any reason to believe that its something that they CAN do.

You have no idea about the Chaos gods power do you? Acccording to the Daemons' codex the Mateirum barely registers on the Chaos gods' attention meter, because they have to spend every instant of their attention on warring among themselves which they devote all but a fraction of their attention/power. Sometimes in exceptionally rare cases when something unbelievably important happens that can influence events on a galactic scale they may devote a mere fraction of their attention to the material realm to resolve it but even then only for an infinitely small instant. The rise of the Emperor was an event like that but even the Emperor himself at his full power barely even registers as blink on the magnitude of the power the Chaos gods wield. Yes, they are THAT powerful but they don't do much to the Materium because the entire Materium is just a drop in an ocean for them.
>>
>>52365210
They really view the Materium as a plaything.
>>
>>52365131

This is true. But it's also true that we can thank Derleth for keeping Lovecraft's stories alive, while still criticizing his additions to and interpretations of Lovecraft for being shitty. Which they are.
>>
>>52348938
>it's an op has never read any Lovecraft episode
>>
>>52365210

>They could totally conquer the Materium, they just don't feel like it

That's not a very a good argument. Especially when 40k lore is almost always written in-universe, with bias and propaganda baked right in.
>>
>>52349999
>To the outer gods Cthulhu is just a priest, but to humanity he's an incomprehensible god-like being

>To humans, a dog is just an animal, but to a paramecium it's an an incomprehensible god-like being
>>
>>52365283
Oh yes, I don't find Derleth's mythos to be that enjoyable. However, I think he also wrote them for fun, so naturally he wrote them in the style which he would have enjoyed.
>>
>>52365329
Most of /tg/ has never read any source material for any setting.
>>
>>52365554
>Most of /tg/ can't read

FTFY
>>
>>52365583
Yes, thank God for our latent psychic powers allowing us to intuitively understand each fucking post we reply to.
>>
>>52365605
Most of you people disgust me with our collective magical dream.
>>
>>52365333
It is not that they don't feel like it, it is because they have got more important things to worry about. They are in an eternal multi dimensional scale war with each other and none of them wants to risk weakening himself for even an instant by actually diverting power to conquer the Materium, because the losses would be too great in the long run.
>>
>>52365605

Have you never been in an argument around here? Half the time the argument could be solved by just reading the rulebook being discussed, and the other half they could be solved by reading the thread, or at least the other person's posts, yet most anons appear to be unable to do either.
>>
File: Emprah raining fire.jpg (113KB, 488x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Emprah raining fire.jpg
113KB, 488x1200px
A more interesting question.

Would the Emperor at his prime be able to defeat Cthulhu?
>>
>>52365724
Or people read shit on wikis, TV tropes or whatever and then act like they know it all.
>>
>>52365735
Maybe. We never get to see Cthulhu use his full power because he stubs his toe and goes back to sleep.
>>
>>52365735
We never see full power Cthulhu and the Emps' power is pretty inconsistent/not adequately displayed to my knowledge. Cthulhu's main shtick of driving motherfuckers mad ain't going to work though.
>>
>>52365861
He drives people mad with his dreams being telepathically transmitted across the world. So he clearly has some kind of psychic powers.
>>
>>52350106
>Do you believe that Iok-Shototh will reward, or even spare you, ( not to speak even notice you) because of your devotion?
Considering Lavinia Whateley managed to fuck Yog-Sothoth it clearly has the ability to become aware of humans (as it is aware of everything else in the universe anyway).
Shub-Niggurath is willing to send down her dark young to dance with her cultists, and Nyarlathotep skips around earth having loads of fun. The truth of the matter is despite humanity's general insignificance, the outer gods are aware of literally everything, and everywhere is equally insignificant in the dream of Azathoth. They definitely can reward mortals for just being mildly amused by their antics.
>>
>>52365861
So how does this making others go mad work?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uba0EjsPFTg

In this vid well known by almost anyone on such case is shown. What's there to get mad from? That creature's shape is comprehensible. Is it maybe some kind of mental radiation thingy that makes her eyes go kaboom?
>>
>>52366118
>observe as I draw conclusions about entities depicted in Lovecraft by citing works not created by Lovecrafft
>>
>>52365210
Taking that into consideration what was the point of emps rising and molding the human empire into his perfectly planned form? Destroying all of the religions didn't do shit same as his plan in starving them. Looking at it from this perspective wouldn't it be better to join them? Wouldn't it be better, from the very beginning, to write the 40 in a way that shows chaos gods as benevolent creatures that try to liberate mankind from emperor's tyrannical rule?
>>
>>52366216
This post in a way justifies mine.
>>52365131
>>
>>52366280
Then you just get Nemesis the Warlock. One of the influential source materials of 40k.
>>
>>52349491
>Yog-sothoth
I have a hard time remembering, this was the thing found in dunwich horror, right?
>>
>>52349675
>and reclaiming the world.
All things considered, this sounds terribly unimpressive.
>>
>>52366741

From their perspective it is. From ours, it sure does suck.
>>
File: 3242526-yog_sothoth_by_hvergi.jpg (338KB, 1131x707px) Image search: [Google]
3242526-yog_sothoth_by_hvergi.jpg
338KB, 1131x707px
>>52366647
Yog-Sothoth is the father of the Dunwich Horror. He is an omnipresent god and for some reason he will pay pirate gold doubloons to knock up a human girls.
>>
>>52366000
The reason why his psychic powers send humans mad is because his psychic aura is strong enough and humans' are weak enough that he can scramble the brains of any human on the same planet as him. The issue is that the Emperor is also an incredibly powerful psychic, so he might be able to retain his sanity.
>>
>>52362341
The Necronomicon also claimed there were no Shoggoths on earth.
Sometimes Abdul was wrong or lied.
>>
>>52367158
Cthulhu does this while being dead, though. Who knows what he will do if he is at full vitality?
>>
>>52367178
This. Abdul was a mad man that wrote down a lot of stuff. The Necronomicon is not intended to be 100% reliable.
>>
File: 1490400911418.png (105KB, 274x332px) Image search: [Google]
1490400911418.png
105KB, 274x332px
>tfw 40k will die in your lifetime and the Cthulhu mythos will live on for far longer
>>
>>52349675
Yeah, we might need TWO boats when he really wakes up.
>>
>>52367117
Can you blame him?
>>
>>52367117
dat congeries doe
>>
>>52369203
Is this game a meme or actually playable
>>
>>52348938
Cthulhu isn't much to the Chaos Gods, but this is because Cthulhu himself isn't much. He's a priest, less than a Demigod and nothing compared to his primogenitors. Azathoth and Yog-Sothoth are beyond everything in Warhammer, and in all of fiction truly. Either something is so comparable to Azathoth and Yog-Sothoth that they might as well be them by another name in another infinite universe, or they laughably fall short of true Omnipresence and Omnipotence.
>>
>>52349371
>Azathoth creates all of the different worlds and universes by dreaming. Ever dimension real or imagined, every life, every god is just a dream and he is the dreamer. Should he ever awake, everything else would cease to exist like the last words of a dying man with no one to hear them. This is an absolute certainty, so, everyone has to be actively working to avoid it.
Yog-Sothoth is not part of Azathoth's dream. Yog-Sothoth is the all-in-one and one-in-all, the key and the gate, and the one that lies beyond. He is outside even Azathoth's domain, or possibly even is another manifestation of Azathoth. But if Azathoth ever wakes up and reality goes poof- Yog-Sothoth will remain. Because it's not a dream like everything else, it exists outside. And inside. It permeates everything.
>>
>>52349750
Also nitpick, but technically speaking nobody actually dies in Lovecraft's mythos. They change state of being. Death, as in total termination of everything, does not exist. You are merely transformed into another state of existence. Everything in Lovecraft acts like a fixed point, unchanging and rigid. Merely perception changes.
>>
>>52372933
abject trash
>>
>>52373542
not present in his works whatsoever
>>
File: madness.jpg (29KB, 336x498px) Image search: [Google]
madness.jpg
29KB, 336x498px
>>52357698
You mean like this?

Oh, we're all going to die now btw. Or go insane and become incredible artists. It's an either-or thing really.

Good luck.
>>
>>52365210
That's nothing

>The cube and sphere, of three dimensions, are thus cut from corresponding forms of four dimensions that men know only through guesses and dreams; and these in turn are cut from forms of five dimensions, and so on up to the dizzy and reachless heights of archetypal infinity.
>>
>>52349371
>Azathoth creates all of the different worlds and universes by dreaming.

Literally fanfiction.

The most impressive description of Azatoth by Lovecraft goes as follows:
"the ancient legends of Ultimate Chaos, at whose center sprawls the blind idiot god Azathoth, Lord of All Things, encircled by his flopping horde of mindless and amorphous dancers, and lulled by the thin monotonous piping of a demoniac flute held in nameless paws."

>The whole point of the Call of Cthulu is that humanity is so insignificant

I see you haven't actually read Call of Cthulhu.

>Cthulhu and Yog-Sothoth and the like barely even notice that humanity exists.

Both very much notice that humanity exists and attempt to infiltrate its ranks. How important this is to Yog-Sothoth, or how powerful/capable of directed action Yog-Sothoth even is remains unclear, but for Cthulhu, who operates on the level of Eatth alone, this is certainly important.

Speaking about the main theme of the thread, there is not enough information. About everything written on Mythos entities by Lovecraft is supposed to be unreliable, legends retold by mentally unstable narrators. A number of Mythos entities can be viewed to be hot shit in terms of power levels, but actual feats of those who show up are quite unimpressive. Cthulhu has failed to wipe out a mere steamboat for fuck's sake; even if we assume that he was very sleepy and being rammed by it did not contribute to his decision to continue napping, this is not a performance to be proud of.
>>
>>52361412
>>52349371
I think that you're confusing Azathoth with Mana-Yood-Sushai from The Gods of Pegana which was probably an inspiration for Azathoth. From what I understood Azathoth is kept calm and maybe asleep by musicians because he would tear the universe apart simply because he is anathema to order and existence and so great that nothing could resist his all encompassing chaos
>>
A better comparison would The Great Ones from Bloodborne since they seem to need servants to an extent (to propagate especially) while also having the power to create other realms of existence.
>>
>>52373750
There's a line in Lovecraft's "Fungi from Yuggoth" that implies that the music of Azatoth's pipers "gives each cosmos its eternal law".
>>
>>52373823
That already happens in Lovecraft stories. It's the basis of the Dunwich Horror.
>>
>>52349832
underrated kek
>>
>>52373588
Well I just art and I still suck at it. Although Bernie's policies are making more sense to me.,,
>>
>>52366080
And not to toot our own horns but humans are pretty amusing.
>>
File: 87953723a3ca36c278d55333031b2852.jpg (672KB, 1600x1600px) Image search: [Google]
87953723a3ca36c278d55333031b2852.jpg
672KB, 1600x1600px
Now that we have a conclusion. how about the godly whatchamacallits of the far realm?
>>
Melkor just as he entered Arda.
>>
>>52376515
Melkor as he entered Arda was second only to the literal, captial G creator God. He would walk all over the chaos gods, but still be beneath some of Lovecraft's creations.
>>
>>52351389
>Only infinitely large
>Can only home on infinite targets
>Only infinite copies
>Hasn't even transcended the concept of transcending the concept of infinity
Laughingsuggsverse.jpg
>>
>>52375903
You don't have to be insane to support socialism, just stupid. And much of humanity is stupid indeed.
>>
>>52377970
Lovecraft was a socialist on the fascist side.
>>
File: 4355659-0935226489-41864.png (500KB, 460x450px) Image search: [Google]
4355659-0935226489-41864.png
500KB, 460x450px
>>52365735
Does he have the power of berries with a tasty crunch?
>>
>>52382559
Well no. The Emperor is a jobber.
>>
>>52354867
Well the Elder Gods are only "good" in that they banished the Outer Gods, and have a vested interest in ensuring the universe doesn't go to shit. They don't really give a damn about most humans, other than the occasional helping hand, or blessing. Hypnos is a good example of this.
>>
>>52372933
Everybody's saying it's average with horrendous animation
>>
>>52366118
the mere sight of a great old one conveys so much information that the human mind is forced to suddenly comprehend it's own smallness in the grand scheme of the universe in excrutiating and undeniable detail. so pitiful are humans in this scheme that to look upon something actually capable of effecting the universe noticeably is too much to handle
>>
>>52350270
>Azathot
>thot

get out
>>
File: The Horror.gif (655KB, 853x480px) Image search: [Google]
The Horror.gif
655KB, 853x480px
>>52348938
Kutulu is beyond death and above life.

"Cannot be killed, nor shalt it ever taste life, save for what it devours."
>>
>>52358119
Anyone?
>>
>>52348938
Cthulhu could take on a chaos god.
Cthulhu is just a priest for the real big things out there.
Cthulhu and bros would win but in the same way that humans win vs amoeba
>>
>>52392768
>Cthulhu could take on a chaos god.
No, Ctulhu is absolutely nothing compared to the Chaos gods.
>>
>>52350187
>CASSILDA: Indeed it's time. We all have laid aside disguise but you. STRANGER: I wear no mask. CAMILLA: (Terrified, aside to Cassilda.) No mask? No mask!
>>
File: Velika.png (506KB, 482x666px) Image search: [Google]
Velika.png
506KB, 482x666px
Velika killed Tren Krom and a myriad of other extremely powerful characters.
And he planned to enact universal genocide as a means of wiping the slate clean.
>>
>>52348938
>>52393700
Oh, metaphysical....uh...
Telluris?
>>
>>52394019
Annona, that was her name.
>>
>>52376235
That's just a regular shoggoth, anon.
>>
Chaos gods are basically just manlet Azathoth's.
>>
>>52373588
>>
>>52376235
the pic is only slightly related. Just wanted to talk about Far Realm VS Cthulhu mythos. but images of the Far realm are hard to find.
>>
>>52394647
Chaos Undivided is kinda like Azathoth. The gods being factes of greater being and all.
>>
File: Stormbringer1.jpg (391KB, 1440x2218px) Image search: [Google]
Stormbringer1.jpg
391KB, 1440x2218px
Stormbringer at full power or Chaos Gods at full HERESY?
>>
>>52355309
>Slaanesh, Prince of Pleasure
>Prince
traps are gay, anon
>>
>>52365210
https://youtu.be/WCu-HZ5ABq8?t=81
>>
>>52394186
>Shoggoths can be regular
>>
>>52396998
I'm thinking that the Chaos gods are technically idiots that has no idea what they are doing.
>>
>>52397061

Well, the Chaos Gods threaten one galaxy in a single universe, while Stormbringer threatens the whole multiverse, so you do the math.
The 40k Chaos gods are like a minor branch office in a backwater universe, who are hoping to someday impress the head office guys like Arioch so they might get promoted to the big time.
>>
>>52392860
Yea, you should definitely keep telling yourself that, facing the reality of your faulty choice would be far too much to bear.
>>
>>52397894
Blood and souls for Arioch baby.
Blood and fucking souls.
>>
File: Nyarlathotep01.jpg (159KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Nyarlathotep01.jpg
159KB, 800x600px
>>52349217
>>52351389
Is anyone actually familiar with the Demonbane VN, or do people just like to spout the name off during powerlevel arguments?
>>
>>52400041
No one on /tg/ knows anything about anything.
>>
>>52402040
tru
>>
>>52397746
They probably don't care what they're doing as long as they get fed & housed.
>>
>>52357456
Was Ten Chaotic good?
>>
>>52408626
Technically all of them are Chaotic Good.
Look at Four for hells sake.
Ace, that is all.
>>
>>52349138
Which story is that?
>>
>>52414140

Call of Cthulhu. It's not really accurate to say he got "BTFO" by a boat, so much as put back to sleep. He's still coming back, when the stars are right, and mankind is still doomed when he does.
>>
>>52349675
Cthulu fags actually think this.
>>
>>52414173

Go back to browsing HISHE like the dork you are.
>>
>>52414152
It just stunned him long enough for the plot to kick in.
>>
>>52362625
I'm not top up on WoW lore, but I think it's similar to what >>52365210 was describing: that the Legion has a lot more to deal with than Azeroth.
>>
>>52414173
The text literally describes him regenerating right the moment after getting hit by the boat

The whole idea that Cthulhu was destroyed or severely injured by the boat is spread by people who didn't actually read Call of Cthulhu
>>
>>52415408
I can't blame them, though. It's one of Lovecraft's worst written stories.
>>
>>52392860
Cthulhu could probably take on a greater daemon of any of the chaos gods.
Thread posts: 214
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.