[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do you use the term "forever DM" like if it's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 1367071029001.jpg (82KB, 376x420px) Image search: [Google]
1367071029001.jpg
82KB, 376x420px
Why do you use the term "forever DM" like if it's a bad thing, even though in reality all of the DM's I know actually refuse to play normal characters?
>>
>>52341155
They like their job but occasionally want to get a hug.
>>
ex-perma GM here.
Finally broke out after one of my players decided to give it a go, and he loved it so now we take turns, he'll run a few games in a system, then I will, etc.

Don't know if it's got anything to do with it, but I was immediately the most engaging roleplayer when I started playing and this dude got really good after GMing a bit.

Still gotta explain the rules of the games he's running to him tho. Once a perma-GM, always a perma-GM.
>>
>>52341155

/tg/ continues to have a bad case of NARP poisoning and it distorts the board culture.
>>
>>52341155
Those who use it in a negative way are GMs who also want to play but can't
>>
File: 1470265745219.jpg (322KB, 1061x1500px)
1470265745219.jpg
322KB, 1061x1500px
Once you've GMed enough, you can't play under another GM without thinking 'He's doing this wrong, he should've taken Player X's idea and done Y with it instead of pushing for Z'

You just get too much GM meta awareness and it becomes difficult to enjoy. Not from a gaming perspective, but from how he tells the story, attempts to invoke immersion, etc.
>>
>>52341155
Some people enjoy DMing much more than they enjoy playing, yes.
But for others, they either want both equally or maybe even want to play more but picked up GMing because no one else would - and for both, not getting the other side for a long time becomes grating.
>>
>>52341155
A lot of the times the perma-GM is the lynchpin of the group since nobody else wants to take the time to GM.

GMing is time consuming work, and sometimes you want to take it easy and just play one character instead of organizing everything.
>>
>>52342251
>He's doing this wrong
Yep. I can see when we were doing something that wouldn't work and the GM lets it work because he doesn't want us to die. I can see when a plot hook is a trap that will screw us over. I can see when there are no real options and we're on a railroad. I can see when the GM didn't read the game guides and fucked the balance into oblivion because of his personal bias against a class, an item type, or an enemy.
The only ways out are GMing myself or playing a system that I don't know well.
>>
>>52341155
Being the DM forever is being "this guy" who'll be a good commander in RO2. Basically telling everyone when the recon is up, and what arty is going down, but almost never sees any action because his ass is planted on a radio.
>>
>>52341155
I was meant to be a player though.

>9 Months ago join Dark Heresy Group
>DM stops turning up after 2 sessions
>I tell group to make some 5e characters and I will run death house from strahd campaign, warn them it will be my 1st time gming so it will probably be shit.
>They hit level 9 about 2 weeks ago and are finishing the amber temple and trying to hit lvl 10 before they kick his door down.
>I've already set up our next campaign.

I really enjoy dming and I get some good satisfaction when the party is cheering and patting each other on the back after an encounter.

But I really want to play as a player!
>>
>>52342251

Finally getting to play is both a blessing, and a curse.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.