[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some tropes that make you feel, anon? I'll start

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 217
Thread images: 42

File: dying soldier.jpg (63KB, 736x441px) Image search: [Google]
dying soldier.jpg
63KB, 736x441px
What are some tropes that make you feel, anon? I'll start
>Dying person is comforted with white lies, goes peacefully while the liar keeps talking and making up stories of how he's going to be ok, even long after he's dead, just to comfort themselves.
>>
>>52332079
> warrior is sorely outmatched/outnumbered but just keeps on getting up to fight (Bonus points if he's still effective after being gravely wounded) even if they're dying/gonna die
> especially if they're dying/gonna die
>>
Self sacrifice such as holding open a door while everything breaks around you so your friends can get out. Long after you died the door is still held open
>>
>>52332079
Alternative

>getting carried away from dying comrade
>I CAN SAVE HIM I CAN SAVE HIM
>I CAN
>LET GO OF ME/GET OFF ME
>I CAN
>>
>dying man making that bittersweet smile at the person they sacrificed thenselves to save.
>>
File: hqdefault (1).jpg (13KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (1).jpg
13KB, 480x360px
...Isnt it?
>>
>character goes into a rage mode after somebody they love/somebody close to them dies, but they still can't win
>>
>>52332394
What is Guts during the Eclipse?
>>
>>52332394
this one cuts me deep. Double points if they aren't even cut down, just knocked aside and left to cry.
>>
>A great inventor watches in horror at how his work is used for evil.
>>
>>52332394
>character goes into a rage mode after somebody they love/somebody close to them dies, wins, and realizes they still can't bring them back
>>
>>52332079
>a time loop where the only way for a character to save everyone is to sacrifice himself
>>
>>52333022
What is Donnie Darko
>>
File: 9BZy7.gif (331KB, 500x477px) Image search: [Google]
9BZy7.gif
331KB, 500x477px
Those who won't stay down make me want to get some heelies to escape from my feelies
>>
Sacrifice in general. Be it the warrior who stays behind to bar the way so others can escape, the guy who holds open the door with his body so the others can get through, the one who trades their life for another, etc. Sacrifice in general really gets at the feels for me far more than simple suffering ever could.
>>
>>52333051
I was thinking more Butterfly Effect, but yeah, that fits even better
>>
File: 1459862739725.jpg (85KB, 840x623px) Image search: [Google]
1459862739725.jpg
85KB, 840x623px
>>52332079
>Huge McStrongGuy sacrifices himself so someone far weaker and (at least at first glance) far less suited to save the day may live

A 'trope' that I don't think is all that common but makes me feel is
>The knight who fights otherworldly horrors out of duty and hides the fact that he's slowly going insane so he can remain the stalwart rock his community depends on
>>
>>52333051
Couldnt he just stop the girl from being hit by the car
>>
>Character is clearly outnumbered/outarmed
>Keeps on fighting
>Wins, but loses/breaks a limb during it
>Keeps on adventuring with broken limb, even attempting to use it to their advantage
>>
>>52332079
It's honestly pretty specific, but:
> Character sells their soul to stop something that's threatening everything else.
> They actually get virtually nothing out of it other than enslavement.
> They're stuck living past their soul's prime in suffering because they're bound to servitude to some unknown horror.
> The threat he tried stopping had already consumed everything and all he can do is follow orders to direct the next "heroes" to continue the cycle.

I love Bloodborne.
>>
>>52332301
That ain't a trope, that's anime in a nutshell.
>>
>>52334968
I actually named my D&D character's horse Gascoigne. My partner named his Moon Presence. Together they pull a carriage we named Hunter's Dream. Our DM has never played bloodborne and we're both loving it.
>>
File: tumblr_on2lvnOS6w1rg4mm8o3_1280.jpg (184KB, 1280x718px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_on2lvnOS6w1rg4mm8o3_1280.jpg
184KB, 1280x718px
>Character goes to sacrifice self to stop enemy
>Enemy shrugs it off or outsmarts it, leaving them to die for nothing while the Character's friends watch

>Gruff, commander type character tells others to run
>"Just go, I'll be fine!"
>The moment the others are gone he has that moment of "Well, here we go," and "Knew it would end this way"
>Goes out in a blaze of glory holding back whatever enemy was chasing

>Character is aging warrior, simply craves a death in battle, but is too strong
>Another comes and does them in
>Smile as they die, thanking whoever fought them

>Tough, stoic warrior has some small object to remind them of times long past, likely something that reminds them of a dead friend or family member
>>
>>52335135
Man, I want to play an old man fighter with one level in warlock just to get that Gehrman feel.

I fucking loved EVERYTHING about that entire sequence.
>>
>>52332079

The last truly faithful cleric of a corrupt church tries to revitalize the faith, but is mocked and scorned by the same people whose souls he's trying to save.

Paladin fights a valiant last stand against an undead/demonic horde to save the lives of his friends, and before the battle begins, he sees a vision of his deity smiling down on him.

A fanatical cult is devoted to cleansing the world of evil and are hated by the world at large, but they still fight.
>>
File: 1480372730751.jpg (91KB, 885x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1480372730751.jpg
91KB, 885x1024px
>>52332079
True love conquering all, even after death.

Any sort of end to an era, particularly if it was done for the sake of those who come after.

The PC's friends coming in the finale to help in whatever way they can.

Old warriors looking for one last fight against the Darkness.

People with a deathwish getting what they want after finding a reason to live.
>>
File: in memory of that feel.jpg (50KB, 320x400px) Image search: [Google]
in memory of that feel.jpg
50KB, 320x400px
>>52335851
>that first one
My players once played a revenant couple. Their only goal was to find their bodies so they could be buried together.
Many sessions later, they conquered half the world, stopped a tyrannical baroness, stared the god of death's mortal avatar down, and finally, finally, found their corpses at the bottom of the waterfall they threw themselves off when they couldn't be together. They then realised they were buried together all along, and faded holding hands as the sun set on the lake it overlooked.
>>
>>52332079
>Knowing they could have done something to help but didn't
>>
File: DamnSon.jpg (51KB, 736x588px) Image search: [Google]
DamnSon.jpg
51KB, 736x588px
>The least intelligent character in the party starts going into denial or keeps coming up blindingly simple solutions to a more complex problems thinking it'll help.

Fix him!
>>
File: 1485984494369.png (6KB, 634x513px) Image search: [Google]
1485984494369.png
6KB, 634x513px
>>52332079
>infinite time loop of the same stressful/overwhelming experience/challenge, approached differently each time, ultimately resulting in the same failure each time.
>when the villain type's meticulously crafted plot/scheme/device/invention is brought to ruination by some brazen talented/gifted/blessed hero type in moments.
>>
File: tarrasque.jpg (523KB, 1344x1342px) Image search: [Google]
tarrasque.jpg
523KB, 1344x1342px
>>52335597
Last one reminded me of this greentext
>>
>>52332597
>>
>>52333067
>MY LEGS AINT BROKE YET NIGGA
>>
>>52332079
>character lives in a shit world where bad things happen routinely
>appears very jaded and cynical and snarky because of this
>secretly holds on to ideals of hope and love and trust and kindness despite all the bad things
>will tell you that doing good shit is dumb and pointless and that people are dumb petty garbage
>still does heroic stuff anyway and can be caught being really nice to some people, usually kids
>>
>>52332597

Villain tries the moral equivalence line on the Hero. Hero shrugs it off, does what he has to do.

"If you kill me, you'll be no better than me"

"I can live with that."

>>52333095

Loyalty as well. Particularly misguided loyalty; the bad guy's right hand man, who is totally and utterly loyal, despite being abused or misused.
>>
>>52336869
No anon.

Not this one.
>>
>>52337600
God damn that's a solid line
>>
>>52338479
You never want to end up at mercy of a good man. An evil man will pontificate, gloat about his grandiose plans. A good man will just kill you dead.
>>
>>52338479
I prefer:
"We're not so different, you and I."
"I know. That's why I'm here to kill you."
>>
>>52332079
Based on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxJrjV4PNXA

>villain kills a lot of people for reasons unknown
>a bunch of heroes band up to defeat him
>in the end, three out of four heroes are dead, the last one about to strike down the villain
>asks him why he's done what he's done
>villain just loves killing people, is a sadistic fuck
>the last hero kills him
>after a year, the hero mourns his family, his hero friends and the dead families of them, too. Nothing can bring them back: they haven't won, in the end.

>>52332394
>>52332597
>>52333095
>>52335597
>>52335669
>>52336727
>>52336869
>>52338288

I like all of you
>>
I love all these tropes, want to create a tragic character but I don't know if I'll ever be in a campaign with the right tone.
>>
A character or characters decide to make the ultimate sacrifice. Preferably without really saying anything direct because they all know what they have to do and they get a final moment of knowing what they did payed off before dying. Double bonus points if it surprises/terrifies the enemy.

It's particularly dear to my heart because my players actually did it, and in truly spectacular fashion, during a Deathwatch game.
>>
>>52338800
Based Pratchett. May his soul find peace.
>>
>>52341227
Even bereft of context, I love this song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb4BWSUV8mM
>>
>>52341428
Corollary: Ours is not to reason why. Ours' just to do and die.
>>
>>52332301
Superman literally does this, almost word for word. He wasn't able to, I cried. I don't have the pic on hand unfortunately
>>
>>52341474
Is it the one where he can't save his dad from a disease?
>>
File: StorytimeTermi.jpg (10KB, 251x201px) Image search: [Google]
StorytimeTermi.jpg
10KB, 251x201px
>>52341227
Storytime?
>>
When a villain just has a massive hateboner for the party, constantly trying to fuck with them and even kill them in a very real "im not going to monologue, im just going to do it given half a change"

and then it's revealed, all the way at the end, when the party is just convinced that he's just a dick, that the reason he wants to see the heroes die, is a beautiful and pure love was lost in collateral damage during the parties early adventures.

>bonus points if the party has heard of them before, EG, a wandering bard sings them a song about a couple so pure of love, and the villain matches the description perfectly.

>double bonus points if the villains slain love was an NPC that the characters were found of, and they felt the loss too.
>>
>>52341606
Heart attack
>>
>>52333430
>so he can remain the stalwart rock his community depends on.
My brother.

>The mighty hero is laid low by the enemy, but is nursed back to health over a period of time by a beautiful and caring woman, and they both develop feelings for one another.
>Doubly so if the hero returns to her after the villain is defeated.

Nightingale Syndrome is my weakness.
>>
>>52341611
>Team is sent in to deal with "genestealers" who quickly turn out to be Chaos mutants and realize there's a conspiracy a foot
>They eventually track down the fountainhead, an Imperial Admiral stationed on the planet.
>Motherfucker knows he's been found out, so he calls for the planned invasion to start immediately.
>Fighting breaks out in the streets, with the rest of the cabal sneaking off world and word of a Slaaneshi warband on route leaves the party to decide to bail for now
>They steal the now dead admiral's light cruiser, as it's crew was unexpectedly free of Chaos taint
>As they're leaving the atmosphere, the Warband arrives with a full strike fleet, up to and including a massive capital ship.
>Refugees fleeing in a motley fleet of transport vessels get spotted by the Chaos fleet
>Civilian captains send out desperate SOSs and the holds of refugees wail into Voxcasters across all channels, coming in loud and clear as the Inquisitors prepare to enter the Warp.
>An argument breaks out amongst the players. One of them says they won't put a dent in a fleet that size with the guns they have but another says they have to at least distract them from the civvies.
>Eventually the Blackshield punches the accelerator and steers the ship towards the Chaos flagship, now gaining on the civilian vessels.
>The party stops arguing, but does not stop the ship.
>The wailing over the Vox goes silent as the ship accelerates towards the Chaos fleet.
>I play https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npxCAvQG3e0
>The ship slams into the side of the flagship at full force, reactors going critical
>The cheering civilians drown out the cursing of the Chaos commander as the ship detonates, taking the flagship and a good chunk of the Chaos fleet with it.
>In honor of the saviors, the people of the world have mastercrafted heavy bolter commissioned and gifted to the nearest watch fortress, christened Thunderchild, a weapon that is now a recurring loot item in my 40k games.
>>
File: Jowy_y_riou.jpg (52KB, 600x542px) Image search: [Google]
Jowy_y_riou.jpg
52KB, 600x542px
>BBEG learns to love by taking in an orphaned child or realizing his fawning lieutenant loves him.
>>
>>52341751
Wow.
I have no words other than that being one of the best ways to end a campaign through player action I've heard of.

The names and deeds of those Battle Brothers will better be told in the reach and beyond for all time to come.
>>
Dogs/other faithful companions dying.

Bonus points if their owner doesn't care, or appears not to care anyway.

I know a person whose dog is getting old and sick and nothing is done to help her, despite her being in constant pain and barely able to move. And she still has nothing but love for her master in the fleeting moments when she's actually cared for.
>>
>>52332079
Lone characters making a last stand against overwhelming forces. Major bonus points if they brazenly challenge the oncoming threat.
>"Come at me, you lot! I swear not one of you will see tomorrow!"
>>
>>52338288
Who is The Hound even.
>>
>>52341695
I did this, they even knew both NPCs. The Woman swore vengeance after the Party gathered a local militia to track down and kill a pack of werewolves. He was the only NPC to die, and he sacrificed himself to save one of the children who were kidnapped. All of this was random rolls, none of it premeditated. I even kept the roll logs to show them on the epilogue. After they killed her. I got a black eye for it.

Worth it.
>>
>>52341428
I think the scene is better in the book, where after the ship is struck by heat rays and begins to disintegrate, the helmsman steers the flaming wreckage straight into another fighting machine, causing the others to retreat.
>>
File: 1486967577866.jpg (37KB, 184x509px) Image search: [Google]
1486967577866.jpg
37KB, 184x509px
Moments where the hero takes a fatal blow in order to deal a similarly fatal blow in return.
>>
>Blatantly evil dickbag making heroic sacrifice for the only people they've grown close to, fellow adventurers.
>"You owe me big for this."
>>
Families reunited after a crisis. I lose my shit whenever I get a scene like that. Especially if it's a kid.
>>
>>52336869
I prefer the reverse
>extremely intelligent strategic genius type character
>some unforseen disaster occurs
>for the first time in their life, they don't have an answer, they don't know what to do
>>
>>52342085
>>52341790
this is my fetish
>>
>>52338288
This is why I almost through my fucking television into outer space when they offed the hound in GoT.
>>52341941
You know.
>>
Guy is being mindcontrolled by the BBEG and his beloved comes to try and stop him.

He raises his sword and prepares to strike but kills himself instead of injuring her.
>>
>>52341790
God damn, I need to replay this game
>>
>The Villain from the previous shenanigans is genuinely sad when the heroes from the first shenanigans die
>>
>>52332079
>character meets his hero
>hero has fallen from grace, turned into an apathetic bitter asshole
>character still sticks to his hopes and ideals that the hero inspired in him despite this massive disappointment
>this inspires the hero and rekindles their beliefs, causing them to get their shit together
>hero then sacrificing himself is optional
>>
>Villains, Heroes, Monsters and any other group you can think of put everything aside to fight a common enemy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bDMUmx9slQ
>>
>>52341941
>>52343411
Is the Hound like that? All I remember him being is some moody asshole.
>>
Pretty much everything that happened in TTGL.
>>
>a character loses all meaning in their life, be it through the loss of a person, place, or thing.

>their only purpose in life afterwards is to seek vengeance against the antagonist, to take everything away from him as well.

>when the hero completes his quest, he will have nothing to live for.
>>
>>52344616
I liked how Watch Dogs flipped that. After Aiden completes his quest for vengeance he gets a new lease on life instead of being hollow and burned out.
>>
File: IMG_0819.gif (2MB, 540x230px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0819.gif
2MB, 540x230px
>Hero(s) down for the count
>Spirit of a dead loved one comes to their aid with a boost of power, advice, or even just comfort
>>
>experienced/competent character resolves to act as a rearguard and buy time
>others won't let him do it
>character explains his in-depth plan on how he'll survive and there isn't really that much danger because he's good at what he does
>others agree, and go on their way
>character was actually totally lying and knew a sacrifice was needed and figured he'd be best for it
>>
>edgy villain or anti-hero goes soft from having to look after a child
>acts tsundere but comes to love the brat as their own
>>
>Character accepts their death without a word. They just close their eyes calmly.
It's good on a hero, and it's good on a villain.
>>
>The first bad guy the hero ever encounters who easily beats him returns during the final battle but this time the hero easily beats him.
>>
>>52344359
He is, at least in the books. I don't watch the show.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Sandor_Clegane
>>
File: IMG_0726.jpg (73KB, 612x612px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0726.jpg
73KB, 612x612px
Are good feels allowed?

>shit goes south
>old man character joins the fray
>he's a fucking godly badass
>"do you whipper snappers think I got where I am by being a weakling?"

Bonus points if villain is younger and completely caught off guard
>>
>loner is rescued by party after being all "I don't need anybody, look after yourselves"
>loner moved to tears
>>
>incredibly strong character
>realizes that even if he kills his enemy, something he holds precious will still die
>he can't protect it
>he fights knowing that it's all for nothing
>he dies because it's less painful than living without the thing he loves
>bad guys win in the end

I love stories where the hero isn't perfectly good and where he doesn't always win. Hits me right in the heartstrings
>>
File: 1490197360624.gif (1MB, 927x549px) Image search: [Google]
1490197360624.gif
1MB, 927x549px
>>52344353
>>
>>52335942
dang
>>
File: 1412382153071.png (605KB, 540x461px) Image search: [Google]
1412382153071.png
605KB, 540x461px
>>52345259
you love stories where the "hero" just lets himself die because he's sad? pretty sure that makes him by definition not a hero.

a better story would be if the actual hero fought as hard as he could even knowing that it was hopeless and as it filled him with nothing but despair. that's a fucking hero. he's supposed to rage against the dying of the light, not embrace it like a bitch.
>>
>>52345604
Nah mate, watching someone struggle and rage against something. Only to realize that it's all for nothing, that he will still lose in the end. Oh and I used hero to refer to MC, not necessarily the good guy or Savior of the day.

Watching the hero break from that. After seeing him strive and overcome challenge after challenge, to be laid low by the realization: I just can't win

It makes them seem more human and gives me the unhappy ending I sometimes feel is best for a story. Sometimes the hero just shouldn't win. Here is a poorly written example

>hero loves girl
>hero fights bad guy to protect girl
>to use the strength required to kill the bad guy, the girl will also be killed
>killing his love is something the hero simply cannot do
>losing is something he cannot do
>internally tears himself apart
>comes to the conclusion that if he dies, he might find her and make her happy again
>>
>2 characters who have an intimate relationship get seperated and go on a journey to find each other
>both have to face enemies that are far more powerful than themselves and get beaten up regularly
>they both make friends who help them through their hardships but those friends end up dying before their eyes while they can't do anything to prevent or stop it because the enemies are too powerful
>they finally manage to reunite, both having gone through a nightmare and somehow manage to defeat the big baddie
>another antagonist swoops in as they lick their wounds kills one of them and obducts the other
>>
>>52334982
Its also war too.
>>
>>52344353
Honestly, out off all the Ace Combat game, this was the most boss moment of all.
>>
>Hero has power/item that allows him to effectively live forever
>Saves the day with said item/power
>Gets the girl
>Lives happy life
>Outlives the girl
>Eventually decides to give up the power to rejoin her in the afterlife
Guacamelee tugged at my heartstrings more than I thought it would.
>>
I really like the cursed lovers, Sun and Moon style, either because of conflicting duties or perspectives, or because one is dead and the other is not.

Made a character like this, once. The party tried all they could to bring the two of them together, it was quite heartwarming...
>>
>>52332079
>The hero is some fairytale hero
>Hero dies and everyone is left to pick up the pieces and fill the role
>>
>>52332079
>>Hero does everything right, the plan works perfectly, never doubts themselves and inspires others
>>It's still not enough. They fail, and everything they've done ends up being for nothing. A heroic sacrifice rendered pointless.

Jorge died thinking he'd just saved the entire planet, until a hundred more supercarriers arrived to replace the one he blew up.
>>
>>52347182
To be fair. A Supercarrier for a single Human soldier is a pretty good exchange rate.
>>
>>52332079
>Adventuring group sets off to defeat the BBEG
>Over their adventure constantly harassed by minions
>Forced to over come near impossible challenges
>Final fight find that the BBEG was the last hero to save the day
>Has been sending things after them so they'd be strong enough to win
>While dying tells the party this and not to fall like they did.
>>
File: IMG_0820.jpg (50KB, 447x599px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0820.jpg
50KB, 447x599px
>Hero is on the ropes
>Suddenly normal civilians start cheering him on or throwing stuff at the badguy
>>
>>52332192
>>52332079
fucking lost already
>>
>>52347182
>supercarrier is destroyed by one person
>the aliums/enemies panic believing they've vastly underestimated the enemy if a single soldier is capable of this
>they flee, giving humanity/your faction an unknown amount of time to prepare

Potential good end, not that I have any problem with the original bad end.
>>
>>52347354
I just like how it's Canon that the reason why the Covenant keep throwing their massive navy around is because they're terrified Humanity is like 20 moves ahead and luring them into some grand trap.
>>
>>52347303
Hello Raimi
>>
>>52347210
But there were so few Spartans left that they each could have taken out a dozen before falling, and the planet still would've fallen.

I look back at the marketing for that game and halo 3 and compare it to the shut 343 puts out today and it just makes me sad.
https://youtu.be/18-_9E0HNY4
https://youtu.be/GX5Kh1f5ksY
>>
>>52347620
>But there were so few Spartans left
They don't know this at that point. In their eyes a spartan for a supercarrier was the right call.
>>
File: IMG_0821.jpg (266KB, 709x785px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0821.jpg
266KB, 709x785px
>>52347481
>Implying
>>
>character dies suddenly
>the other character(s) don't cry, or shout his name
>they just stare with sadness in their eyes
>>
>Main Character dies at the hands of the Final Boss before his final assault
>Everyone is sad
>Use his death as a rally cry to fight back against the BBEG in a final stand
>>
>>52347645
Oh, I know. That's what makes it even more depressing: Jorge went out almost happy, convinced he was making a sacrifice so that the rest of his team could get out safely and win.

Everyone else had to die knowing how pointless his death ultimately was, and how utterly lost Reach had become.
https://youtu.be/yc3q_CiAlhc
>>
>Humans, Angels, and Demons team up to fight a greater threat
>>
>>52347770
Reminds me of Glory when they charge the confederates after the officer gets killed
>>
>>52347810
God that was a good movie.
>>
>two honest, well-intentioned, good people are forced to become enemies because of irreconcilable differences in ideology
>they both mourn the loss of their relationship but are willing to pay that price to fight for what they believe in
CA: CW was basically porn for me, until the last fifteen minutes
>>
>Villain and hero are related somehow/very similar
>The hero is an old, aged man, not very strong
>Villain tries to "convince" the hero to be with him
>Hero has none of it
>Fucking wrecks villains shit

Not exactly a sad kind of feel, but a feel none the less
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cZqRzHnI8s
>>
>>52346992
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gB0B9OEprpo
>>
>>52347770
Soooo, The Lego movie?
>>
>>52346358
I haven't heard this one before.
>>
>>52347943
CA:CW?
>>
>>52348376
Captain America: Civil War.
>>
File: A smile better suits a hero.jpg (163KB, 1152x641px) Image search: [Google]
A smile better suits a hero.jpg
163KB, 1152x641px
>Knight intercepts an attack meant for someone else
>Struggles to push back against it
>He actually might wi-
>His shield breaks
>Everyone looks in shock as he is mortally wounded
>Villains fuck off to continue their evil plan
>Heroes go to the Knight who is just happy that he was able to protect his friend and comforts them all as he dies with a smile on his face

Fucking hell that scene still drives me to tears.
>>
>>52346992
This, but no sacrifice
>Hero/Entity lasts forever
>Uses that to not only see the other character through life, but continues to care for the descendants(or the grave of the protected), because that seems like the best idea.

Also my favorite
>Silent/Stupid/Big/Brute creature or person in the company of a small, helpless thing. It does no good keeping it around, and the creature will die defending it, but nobody is sure why.
Bioshock's Little Sisters do that for me.. not sure why, but when someone would go to grab one, and they'd scream and yell 'DADDY!'... those incoming stomps are my shit.
>>
>>52348443
This gets me, if I got to choose how I died, I'd like to die helping someone. Even if it's something small and simple, the thought that I could help a little bit would be enough.
>>
File: feels.jpg (4KB, 202x202px) Image search: [Google]
feels.jpg
4KB, 202x202px
>>52345495
Yo buddy... Still alive?

I fucking adore Solo-Wing.

> you rage an epic fight that decides the fate of the whole world and lives of millions of people
> the enemy is your old friend, who you had considered dead
> despite everything, you are still friends
>>
>>52348621
>yfw he appears in AC7
>>
>Rival always in the shadow of the protagonist
>Fucks over protagonist on multiple occasions in an effort to distinguish himself, fails, but is always forgiven
>Finally betrays the protagonist for good and lives happily ever after

It sounds really shitty when laid out like this but I thought it was nice when I saw it on Vikings with Rollo.
>>
File: nox.jpg (19KB, 315x416px) Image search: [Google]
nox.jpg
19KB, 315x416px
>>52332079

>Villain believed he was doing the right thing/Villain WAS doing the right thing
>Villain breaks down when he realize the consequences
>Hero decides to spare him
>It is too late, Villain had to die
>>
>character is possessed by some malevolent entity
>in a critical moment he wrests control back for a precious few seconds
>uses those seconds to kill himself
>>
>>52333022
>>52333051
Especially when they've become happy and content in the loop, too, like Looper
>>
>>52332497
>I will not be the father of death
>>
>>52335597
>Gruff, commander type character tells others to run
>"Just go, I'll be fine!"
>The moment the others are gone he has that moment of "Well, here we go," and "Knew it would end this way"
>Goes out in a blaze of glory holding back whatever enemy was chasing
At least [MATHS]% better if the old war-weary general summons the last of his old experience or training and puts up a half-decent fight, too.
>>
>brutish/savage villain is killed by a more civilized villain for being dishonorable

Love it when this happens

>"We're villains, not common beasts"
>>
File: clown-of-god-600x250.jpg (37KB, 600x250px) Image search: [Google]
clown-of-god-600x250.jpg
37KB, 600x250px
>>52332079
The old clown's death, either from a heroic sacrifice or just being too old.
It gets ten times worse/better if he tells everyone else to smile, or dies with a smile on his face himself.
>Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio: a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy: he hath borne me on his back a thousand times; and now, how abhorred in my imagination it is!
>>
>>52347182
>always wanted to die on Reach
>is the only member of Noble to die offworld (other than Jun who lives)
Jorge had it rough.
>>
File: tfw.jpg (253KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
tfw.jpg
253KB, 1920x1200px
>>52347182
>>52347210
>>52347354
>>52347408
>>52347620
>>52347645
>>52347772

>Classic last stand, but hero sees those he's lost congratulating/reassuring him
>It's ambiguous whether these are actual apparitions or just hallucinations brought on by fatigue/injury/stress
>Older, arguably superior soldier holding the line because he's "past his time", and so sacrifices himself for those he sees as being the future
>Said soldier does his best to equip himself and act as one of the newer generation, to not set himself above or apart from them
>Inversion of the whole "worthy enemy" schtick
>Recruitment propaganda being quoted or used as taunts against the enemy, even when they have no idea what it means

So, anons, what was the finest material to ever come out of the Halo franchise and why was it Ghosts of Onyx?

>One last fight, demon. You will die and we shall reopen the silver path.
>"Die? Didn't you know? Spartans never die.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (9KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
9KB, 480x360px
>>52332079
someone trying to change the world through whatever means necessary fails and is shattered by the experience, but still tries to find meaning for themselves

pic oh so very much related. I fucking bawl every time I hear "there were still people living there..." and that fucking violin cuts in
>>
>>52344332
Character sacrifices for hero
>>
File: Rogue_One_EW_08.jpg (151KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
Rogue_One_EW_08.jpg
151KB, 1680x1050px
comic relief is not for sads, Disney
>>
>>52348443
That it still one of the main reasons that pushed me to finish that expansion in FFXIV, that scene still fucks me up.
>>
>>52351644
Makes me mad that he is pretty much the only character who actually died.

They even brought back the potato princess that got poisoned and invalided the entire plot line at the end of realm reborn.
>>
>>52351675
which is fairly stupid, same thing happens if you play the dragoon story for lvl 30-50. Just to be shown it means nothing other than having them say azure dragoon instead of warrior of light.
>>
>>52349234
>>
File: technotext.png (67KB, 687x735px) Image search: [Google]
technotext.png
67KB, 687x735px
>>52332079
Literally all of this greentext.
>>
>>52344359
>stopped his brother from killing that one guy in the v. beginning
>still stopped fighting with him (while also doing a cool ass dodge) when his king said to
>saved sansa
>smuggled arya across westeros trying to return her to her family
>after his supposed death, he just went to work with some do-gooders using his immense strength to help build homes and communities that the army he used to fight with destroyed

Not just a moody asshole imp
>>
>>52337600
Fucking hell this hits too close to home.

I remember my old college roleplay group. It all started off happy but things just started going downhill. I knew it wasn't the same as before but I wanted to hold onto it because they were the first friends I'd ever had. Everyone started growing more angry with each other but nobody wanted to say anything. Finally the DM tried to take away my PC, a character I'd grown to care a lot about in a rather hard time for me.

Not kill him. Just try to force me to stop playing him and have him exit the story simply by telling me to do it. After he had wanted me to bring in that specific character and helped me create him, and then he tried to take him away from me because apparently I was enjoying him too much, and half the group was on his side. I had to have a damn hearing with them all staring at me to justify not being randomly fucked over by a GM who seemed intent on controlling my whole life and me being fucked in the head enough to almost let him.

Fuck /tg/ you're not supposed to make me feel.
>>
>>52348949
It's crazy how much this happens in the Mass Effect series
ME1: Saren, the Zhu's Hope colonist who's controlled by the Thorian
ME2: Jacob's Dad
ME3: The illusive man, Samara(sort of)

People are just blasting themselves in the head every other scene in that series
>>
>>52332079
>A villainous organization who were once heroes, but hard years of struggle against insurmountable odds and the horrors of the world they live in lead them to start making compromises.
>Inevitably, they become every bit as monstrous in the pursuit of their goals as the monsters they fight.
>Finally, the big bad or the Dragon of the group has a moment of clarity where they realize how horrible they truly are.
>but they are too far gone and become even more fanatical. After all, if they stop now all the innocent blood they have shed will have been for nothing.
>>
>>52352573
Wow really? I've never played those games but I know it happens to that one alien.
>>
>The unbelievably alien, or most ruthless creatures (undead, old ones, even non-intelligent creatures like constructs) are scared by something so utterly incomprehensible and mind-shattering that they discover fear for the first time.
>the big bad stopping a moment before descending fully into evil, with the last glimmer of goodness in them finally extinguished. especially if it is done like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBcDoZnN8ac
>The big bad accomplishes his plan and then realizes the tragic error of his ways, is caught by the heroes in the moment of utter self-contempt, and is offered a merciful hand, and makes a great comeback, granting a chance to stop the catastrophe.
bonus points if his help requires his own life as sacrifice, to make amends.
>>
>friend is dying and there's nothing you can do to save them
>they tell you to smile anyway
>>
I have a soft spot for immortal characters, I don't know why. Also, sacrifices and sad clowns. I actually designed a NPC that combined those traits, but never had the opportunity to use him. A shame, really.
>>
>>52334868
I ended up seeing how to How to Train Your Dragon the day it came out because my friend and I were watching a handful of ~8-year-olds. That ending was such a fantastic use of that sort of thing, it was fantastic.
>>
>>52338288
This is exactly why my most recent character is the way he is.
>>
File: Not Bad.gif (1011KB, 500x273px) Image search: [Google]
Not Bad.gif
1011KB, 500x273px
>>52332079

>Literally any moment like this one was.

Or, you know
>Real men don't die, even when they are killed! So dry those tears...
>>
>>52332079

>super grimdark setting
>BBEG is genocidal as fuck and holds contempt for literally everything
>does heinous, unforgivable shit with seemingly no hope in sight for any of the good guys
>heroes rise up and miraculously manage to stop him
>turns out he was just jaded as fuck and believed the world wasn't worth saving and wanted to end it all
>thanks to the heroes, dies with the realization that maybe there is still good left in the world after all
>>
>>52350222
...wasn't he played by Alan Tudyk?
>>
The nameless soldier. He's not the hero of the story, and he's not even strong enough to represent a credible threat to the villain. But despite this, he's going to carry out his duty as a soldier all the same. Even as his comrades fall around him hes going to keep fighting, until eventually he meets his demise as well. We've all seen him before, perhaps holding the line until the protagonists arrive, or otherwise trying to do what he can until the heroes save the day. And once everything is all said and done it's likely no one even remembers he existed in the first place.

I think the reason I love this trope so much is because I identify pretty strongly with it. Every time I watch a movie and see soldiers get slaughtered by the dozens, simply because they weren't important to the plot, I can't help but realize that that I'd likely be one of them in that sort of situation.
>>
>>52354241

One of my favorite tropes too. Most likely due to the harrowing parallels to conflicts IRL.

The unknown/nameless soldier is a distillation of the ideals he fights for. In the confines of the narrative, he represents nothing but the backdrop for the conflict as a whole. We know nothing of his character, yet his actions speak for the goals of countless others. There's something really selfless and pure about that; the idea that he's just one in an army of God knows how many people who would've done the exact same thing for a purpose greater than themselves. He anonymity is essential. Without it there would be no meaning to his character.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomb_of_the_Unknown_Soldier

We're all the nameless soldier to someone. We're the protagonist of our own story but mere cannon fodder in 99% of other people's. Yet the presence of a common goal can unite us and give some semblance of significance.
>>
>>52332079
>men charging to their deaths against an insurmountable enemy, led by their King, calling to their ancestors as they fight to their last breaths.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et1vrvApDsA
>>
>>52354124
>WHAT YOU GONNA DO
>IS WHAT YOU WANNA DO
>>
>>52354207
He was, indeed.
Hey, how does a reaver clean it's spear?
>>
>loved one of hero is killed brutally before them
>unlocks ultimate rage mode
>murders everything in sight
>friends are trying to stop them because it's getting out of hand/unnecessarily torturous
>hero can't stop or the pain will catch up with them
>eventually is stopped/collapses in exhaustion
>nothing can ever stop the pain
>>
>>52348223
>9 years old
>Home from school, really really sick
>Mom rents this from video store not really knowing what it is
>I watch this movie at the age of nine, pumped full of drugs, with a 105 fever
So much of my later life explained.
>>
>>52338288
reminds me a bit of Corkus from Berserk. I always kinda liked him despite the fact his dick level was turned up to 11.
>>
>>52345837
i don't see how letting her die is any better than making her calamity damage.
>>
>>52347303
Mumen Rider, is that you?
>>
>>52349102
Like in Watchmen, with the old Nite Owl and the asian gang
>>
>>52348223
Is he trying to impersonate Peter Falk?
>>
Trickster/tactician that pulls off a perfect 4D keikaku, only to have it all fall apart at the last minute due to an incredible stroke of misfortune with disastrous results
>>
>>52341751
Emperor Protects.
>>
>>52354693
>JUST BREAK THE RULE, AND YOU SEE THE TRUTH!
>>
>>52352493
The character will always belong to you anon, for it is you who made him, and though your GM may play god within your universe, he cannot stop you from playing him in another campaign.
>>
File: bonzy the sad clown.png (467KB, 768x4160px) Image search: [Google]
bonzy the sad clown.png
467KB, 768x4160px
>>52353910
have a story, anon
>>
>>52349500
Shit, I never got around to reading it - can anyone gimme a spoiler-free summary? Skimming over the wiki kinda put me off a bit, since the Spartan IIIs always seemed a bit too grimdark for Halo's excellent HFY
>>
>>52348443
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSPDi1Ruq1I

Wakfu is full of these amazing moments.
>>
>>52333067
Alt.

>character takes grevious wound, staggers to his feet "Come on bitch, my sister hits harder than that"
>>
File: 1490023512309.png (117KB, 508x512px) Image search: [Google]
1490023512309.png
117KB, 508x512px
>>52332079
>Immortal becomes fond of a mortal
>the two become fast friends
>go on adventures
>save eachother's hide more than once, do great things, become heroes
>the time of the mortal's death is at hand
>they spend a time reliving old, happy memories. Maybe catching up if one has been away for a time
>the mortal expires
>the immortal mourns alone

>but death is not the end

I actually have some writing that's the culmination of several of these tropes but it isn't /tg/ so there's no point in shitting up the thread with it. I'm moderately bothered anons.
>>
>>52359602
Bonus: his sister is one of the ones who he's sacrificing himself to save, or she was "collateral damage" in the boss's early rampages
>>
>>52333095
O7
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ahv1oGnZIs
>>
>Villain is a horrid monster, cruel and merciless.
>Protagonist follows his path of destruction, learning his past.
>Final confrontation has the villain remember his past, be it his kind parents, beloved childhood pet, or even their favorite toy as a kid.
>Remembers after so long that he's human.
>>
>hardened campaign leader / general / whatever that will take the collateral damage to stop a greater death toll
>he learned this lesson by having to choose between rescuing his sister or taking out an important enemy base
>she sacrifices herself and makes the choice for him
>he decides he doesn't get to choose who lives and dies, just that the most people will be saved in the end
>>
>Characters who make promises at the beginning of a story and keep them despite all rational reasons to let them go
>Even when it makes others reject them
>Even when they freely admit it was not a wise promise to make, but they can't back out now
>They put on a smile every day because they derive satisfaction in life from simply keeping their word
>Especially when they die keeping the promise
>Double especially if their death doesn't even uphold the promise (die protecting someone and they still end up getting killed right after the protector dies, for example)
>>
File: 1453898763970.png (369KB, 483x426px) Image search: [Google]
1453898763970.png
369KB, 483x426px
As repetitive as HFY stories are I can't help but be a sucker for a heroic depiction of Mankind. So many stories try to guilt humans for being assholes it's nice to have reminders of our goodness. And as has been said before, heroic sacrifice. See: Thunderchild by Jeff Wayne

>>52333095
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ahv1oGnZIs

>Some become heroes for bravery sure
>some because all is lost
>but some become heroes like Molly and Ched, who give without counting the cost.
>>
>>52362046
I'm a tard, linked the wrong song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WDRxtd-2dQ
>>
File: 1424781825575s.jpg (3KB, 125x93px) Image search: [Google]
1424781825575s.jpg
3KB, 125x93px
>>52354775
he washes it?
>>
>>52361403
mein negro
>>
>>52349500
>>52358532
>>52362046
Come to think of it, Halo (as a setting, if not a franchise) was some pretty damn good, classic, ballsy HFY - instead of the ebin ENDURANS HNUTING and REVROS ENGINERIN memes that pervade the genre these days, it was just bloody-mindedness and pragmatism slowly being pushed back by a vastly superior foe - and had some top tier heroics, too.
>>
>>52335653

>Tonight, Gehrman joins the hunt...

Shivers everytime

Also, best heartdestroyer

>Character dies to stop problem, only to not solve it.

Even worse if they live long enough to see it did nothing
>>
>character has a reliable weapon that they have a strong sentimental attachment to
>it breaks or they lose it
>>
>>52332079

>Ally forces themselves into oncoming attack and saves the others--but is killed unceremoniously, suddenly, and unfairly, without passion or closure
(Done best after a heated argument that went unsettled)

>Character seeks missing friend/family
>Tracks them for years
>Party gets caught up in their quest and help out
>They track down the missing person's whereabouts
>They've been dead since before the character even elected to start their quest
>"Now what...?"

>Character gains perspective in their dying moments
>Dies before finishing their last words

>Heroes pull through thick and thin, grow into fire-forged friends, and save the world (with some sacrifices)
>Time goes on and they have to live with seeing their now-closest friends pass away anyway
(Works well with a long-lived fantasy race like Dwarves/Elves)

>Party kicks in the door on the BBEG
>He's watching Rome burn
>Doesn't want to put up a fight, he knows what he's done
>But it's too late
>>
>>52341751
That is seriously the most metal ending to a campaign imaginable.
>>
>>52367592
Brutal even
>>
File: camerone1.jpg (106KB, 758x495px) Image search: [Google]
camerone1.jpg
106KB, 758x495px
>final stand
>defenders stand defiant until the very end
>reinforcements led by a character that knows the defender's commander arrive at the very end
>wipe up the disorganized attackers in a crushing victory
>the reinforcing commander walks trough the ruins of the castle/city strewn with corpses
>breaks down as he sees his friend died in the city's/castle's defense
>>
File: IMG_0781.jpg (55KB, 317x650px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0781.jpg
55KB, 317x650px
>Villain knows he's an unrepentant monster but still adores his children
>Makes sure they did their homework and brushed their teeth
>Never misses a birthday or recital
>Savagely kills/tortures someone then goes home and takes his little ones to see the fireworks at the festival
>Doesn't expect pity or beg heroes for mercy when they catch/kill him

Bonus points if his kids grow up and try to kill the heroes for "murdering" their father and learn the awful truth but keep trying anyway out of filial piety and love
>>
>ancient heroic dragon outlives everyone he's ever known, including the hero who rode him into battle
>lives long enough that he's grown half-senile and is almost a myth, all but forgotten
>barely manages to fight off the enemy, but ends up broken and dying, his wings shattered
>as he bleeds out, his eyes unfocus and he starts talking to thin air
>"I've waited so long to see you again."
>"Come on, old friend. Get on my back. I'll take you flying, just like we always used to."
>"One last time..."
>He dies with a smile on his face, finally at peace.
>>
>villain's servant helps the heroes escape from villain's stronghold
>when they come back to fight they see his corpse strung up on the walls
>>
>>52368393
I love this trope

>Underling aids the hero
>>
>Character is just a fat jolly man who enjoys nothing more then having a good drink with friends
>Is actually a fucking total badass if needed

I miss uncle Iroh from avatar
>>
There is nothing more badass than the hero and the anti-hero/rival teaming up to take down the bigger threat.
>>
File: image.jpg (95KB, 1280x617px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
95KB, 1280x617px
>>52332079
> Ship can no longer fire
> Captain orders raming run
>>
>>52341474
I don't remember the run but it's the moment where Supes realizes he can't hear his dad's heartbeat, he starts flying so fast toward his father's corpse that he catches on fire while screaming that he can save everyone because he's Superman.
>>
>>52368203
I like the romance version of this.

>Unrepentant villain character
>Falls in love with someone who is both nicer and weaker than him
>Nothing but sweet to his significant other while continuing to do evil in the background but for the happiness of his significant other rather than himself

As much as I would like for these things to end happily, it always ends when she finds out that he has been doing bad shit and hates him for it.
>>
File: image.jpg (220KB, 1280x1017px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
220KB, 1280x1017px
This one is kinda specific
> villain has been dealing with total assholes his whole life
> heroes are genuinely selfless
> his plans all count on them acting self-centered
> genuinely can't figure out why none of his plans are working
>>
Simple, normal everyman triumphing everyone in a larger than life a world of aliens, wizards, warlods and gods because he is a mature adult and acts like it. Applies common sense and simple solutions to everything.
>>
>>52347303
that superman 2 scene
>normies help superman against baddies
>superman flees and risks breaking their confidence in him just to avoid them being collateral damage
>>
>>52332192

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdzlOO4VwG0

Something like this?
>>
Villainous valor. Bad guys having qualities far superior to the designated and boring muh friendship hero. The unbreakable loyalty of black knight, the tenacity of some evil wizard to always come back somehow, resourcefulness, the will to power etc.
>>
>>52368648
Uncle Iroh was actually a ruthless badass created in a warlike culture. What turned him into a fat jolly man was life experience, and acquired wisdom.
>>
>>52372486
Yeah, that works. I'm also partial to this fight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC2c0giVRXs
>>
>>52372998
Watched the vid all the way through and that doesn't show him getting shanked a bunch before that, but he did, for those who haven't seen the whole thing. The stabbing bit was the part I meant.
>>
>>52372433
Reigen from Mob Psycho 100 is kind of a great example of this
Nigga got some powerful-ass psychics to back down and act like regular people instead of living out their delusions of grandeur
>>
>>52332079

I like it when it's two mortal enemies are trapped with eachother, with one comforting the other as they die because there's nobody else around and they both recognize that dying alone is a terrible thing. Bonus points if the one doing the comforting is a villain.
>>
>>52332079

From Tombstone

>Remember what I said about dying people seeing a white light?
>It ain't true! I can't see a damn thing!
>Short chuckle then stillness of the face
>>
I always liked villains who were once heroes that had a fall from grace for whatever reason, going from revered to reviled and dreaded.

Bonus points if the fall was for an understandable reason.
>>
Kind of already had this one, but I've always had a soft spot for the "Old Ex-badass goes on one last glory run and probably dies in the process" trope. Logan was essentially two and a bit hours of being kicked directly in the feels.

Also, the subverted heroic sacrifice:

>Run! I'll hold them back!
>Gets shot/blasted/cut down in a couple seconds anyway.

Especially when he realises he didn't manage to buy anything decent with his life, and then the narrative just keeps on rolling without giving it much thought.
>>
>>52352040
I didn't realize I was the clown until now
>>
>>52332079
>What are some tropes that make you feel, anon?
somewhere a child cries i feel nothing
>>
File: razor_dinner.jpg (110KB, 450x283px) Image search: [Google]
razor_dinner.jpg
110KB, 450x283px
>>52332192
This one except the warrior is buying time for their allies and noncombatants to escape. Even while they are bleeding out and struggling back to their feet they're trying in vain to bluff the enemy with shouted orders to subordinates that aren't there anymore. They desperately try to fake voices, call for flank attacks, switch to different cover, request covering fire, etc.

Then there's the "bury your gays" trope. Whenever a couple that isn't heterosexual gets highlighted in media, especially if they're supporting cast that lack plot armor, I expect tragedy to befall at least one of the characters. I don't dislike the trope it just makes me sad in the "even if you find someone to share your life with, you'll still die alone mourning them" feels.
>>
>>52373334
>Reigen from Mob Psycho 100
I understand completely
>>
>>52348350
it's the witcher story from the novels missing the ending
Thread posts: 217
Thread images: 42

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.