[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was this pathetic of me? >DM a D&D game >Story becomes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: 18.jpg (109KB, 750x900px) Image search: [Google]
18.jpg
109KB, 750x900px
Was this pathetic of me?
>DM a D&D game
>Story becomes way more complicated than I originally intended, becomes sci-fi/fantasy/time travel/horror/modern/superhero, with mild focus on fantasy
>During a time travel part, the party sees a mysterious old lady who bitches at them for a while
>Later in the game, but earlier in the timeline, they try to rescue a minor villain lady who's gone insane and no longer controls her own actions
>My original plan was that they'd fail and the machine she was using would explode and send into the space between times, where she'd grow old and bitch at them
>But the players were just so determined to rescue her that I was like okay whatever and let them
>Old lady no longer has any possible explanation
>>
>>52331509
Never have predetermined ends of any kind. Have choices build up into ends determined by players.
As a DM, react and assess. This is fine, assuming it fits logically in the end.
>>
>>52331509
>Old lady no longer has any possible explanation

Meta-time.

Originally the timeline they were moving through included her machine exploding and sending her into the space between times, which they saw. Then they went to the past and changed it - that doesn't undo the future they've seen, meta-time includes the linear sequence of events that include changes to the timeline.

Timelines aren't overwritten - the past versions of the future you see are the meta-past, because you saw previously and changed them later.
>>
Sounds to me like it's time for the timeline to change or make a paradox
>>
File: 1464680662800.png (80KB, 339x355px) Image search: [Google]
1464680662800.png
80KB, 339x355px
>>52331850
>Sounds to me like it's time for the timeline to change
If OP informs his players that this is how time works in his setting, it could have some very weird consequences like preventing the BBEG's scheme from ever becoming a thought in her head by giving her the D she desperately needs
>>
>>52331509
>>Old lady no longer has any possible explanation

They don't know that. She's somebody else. Improvise.
>>
File: A lich ain't one.png (94KB, 1281x542px) Image search: [Google]
A lich ain't one.png
94KB, 1281x542px
>>52333492
>Implying that giving her the D would change anything.
>>
>>52331509
Placing your group's enjoyment over your own story is nothing to be ashamed of, really. DMs who do the opposite are usually cunts, in fact.

But as always, it's an issue of moderation.
>>
>>52331509
Do the players know that you did this? No? Improvise.

The old lady was somebody else all along, this was all according to your plan. Don't ever let the players see behind the curtain, or they will realise that their world is made of breadsticks and held together by hope and good-will.
>>
>players see event in the future
>players go to the past
>they change the past so that future doesn't happen

I don't get it. What's the problem?
>>
>>52331509

No, but here's what you should do:

1) Go read the game Shifters (http://discordia-inc.co.uk/shifter/index.html#index) especially http://discordia-inc.co.uk/shifter/chap4.html

2) Don't play it, its mechanics are very dated and more than a little clunky. Do focus on how it does timelines, collapsing timelines, and people orphaned when their timelines are collapsed.

3) Use it to make your time travel stuff make more sense.

4) For bonus points, use it to make your time travel stuff make more sense to you but leave your players in the dark on how it works.
>>
>>52331509
this >>52333555
maybe your players figured out what was going on and saved the lady, maybe they just did it cus they are good guys, who knows, still, they saw a mysterious old lady bitching at them

it could be the minor villain lady's sister/daughter/aunt who, trying to seek vengueance, got stuck in the past/present/future/whatever time-line you placed her and now they have to find her and help her build a machine that can go at 88 mph to get back to her time

or something else, the point is that you cannot let this stop you

or you can also go this way >>52336375
>>
File: 1485877426020.jpg (444KB, 765x1007px) Image search: [Google]
1485877426020.jpg
444KB, 765x1007px
>>52335565
>HelpImDatingALich.jrpg
Literally nothing wrong with this.
>>
>>52331744
oh god that reminds me of that fucking shadow of destiny game
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.