[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm interested in the breakdown of how people on /tg/ like

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: 155_1103188.jpg (1017KB, 3456x2304px) Image search: [Google]
155_1103188.jpg
1017KB, 3456x2304px
I'm interested in the breakdown of how people on /tg/ like to game. Talking 'bout TTRPGs here to be clear, no wargames or nuffin'. How often does your group(s) meet for a session? How long are your sessions? Do you have a group of pre-existing friends or did you meet through the group? Where do you game?

My group meets weekly for three and a half hours, online using Roll20. It's a bunch of school friends I know from back in the day.

hbu /tg/
>>
>>52304783
>/tg/
>actually playing tabletop
>>
>>52304783
>How often does your group(s) meet for a session?
Once a week.

>How long are your sessions?
However long it takes. Sometimes we feel done with the session after three hours, other times we go on for up to six hours. But the latter is fairly rare.
It mostly depends on if we reach a natural "end" or calm point in an adventure where it's easy to stop and pick it up again next week.

>Do you have a group of pre-existing friends or did you meet through the group?
I knew some, but not all of them.

>Where do you game?
In an apartment.
>>
>>52304783
When they're not either failing to maintain a schedule or blowing up the group because someone decided to use the gaming table as part of their dating pool and it inevitably went wrong? Weekly.
4-8 hours usually.
The former.
>Where do you game?
Whoever has the largest dining table tends to host.
>>
>>52304783
1/week.
5 hours.
Pre-existing.
Used to game in-person at a university common area, but now we're on roll20 because people moved away.
>>
>>52304783
Theoretically, once a week, in practice rarier because scheduling is sucky

Three to four hours. Five is extreme stretch.

One (soon maybe two or three if they'll find a time for it) irl buddy that just lives away, two (soon maybe three) people I met through online RP in a videogame, one rando from R20

>Where do you game?
R20, most of my friends who would be even interested in tabletopare terrible, disruptive gamers, those who aren't live away and/or have little time and I'm too socially retarded to actually join a group of strangers so R20 is only way for me.

Aalso we're mostly gaming by narrative, with few dice rolls, those that are present are mostly non-combat skill rolls. There was only one short fight during last three sessions. We're playing The One Ring. It's a good experience for now, even if I'm still shaking off rust from years of not GMing in a pnp game and not playing by voice at all. My only complaint save my own limitations is that my players are still bit passive and hold little initiative on their own. But at least they get the feel, enjoy the story and aren't disruptive in any way.
>>
File: 1354544171522.jpg (98KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
1354544171522.jpg
98KB, 800x533px
Group A and B, once a week.
Group A, 4-7 hours.
Group B, 5-6
I actually met these people through DnD.
I was working around the corner from my FLGS and I swung by after work one day. They were missing their usual DM, so someone was running a super simple one shot. Pick a class, pick a race, thats it. Gnomish Illusionist, with thick and lush locks. Well the players were impressed with my ability to jump right into a character, my clever problem solving, and wit (I had years of experience larping at that point). As I was leaving I asked if I could sit in on their game next week, they said sure. When I got there, the DM said he was happy to meet me, and that he already had a character builder open on his laptop, so he'd be thrilled to help me build one.
From there, that group went from Wednesdays to Tuesdays, Tuesdays to Thursdays, group split, half of us stuck around, back to Tuesdays, OG DM comes back and recruits me. Tuesday Group becomes Saturday, Wednesday changes people about one every 8 months, someone falls out, someone joins in. I've met some amazing people through this game night. Ive met some meh people. Saturday cast only changed because one guy when back to school, and girlfriend broke up with me. We were low on people so we brought in one of the people I LARP with who was a mutual friend of others, but I thought he had so much potential. He hangs around with fuckheads in game, so his RP isnt that good. Him playing in my game is more or less bootcamp.
Phew, that... Wow, I owe a lot of my strong friendships to tabletop.
>Where do you game?
A, one persons apartment
B, another's/
>>
>>52304783
Generally once a week. Only one player has a difficult schedule to work with, though it can sometimes change from week-to-week, so we're usually able to get a session in.

Anywhere from three to five hours, depending on the pacing and events of the session and how tired various group members are. The basic rule of thumb is that something significant should either happen or be decided upon.

Pre-existing friends, met in college.

>Where do you game?
Over Skype calls. Can't be assed with Roll20, since you really only actually use it for such a small portion of the game, so we've switched to theater of the mind and the honor system on dice rolls.
>>
>>52304783
My group is comprised of three of my friends (the closest ones, really), and we usually meet for a session every weekend.

The sessions usually take place in my house (more space and better sound insulation).

The sessions take up to three hours, but two hours is more common.

Each of the players (me included) has run some kind of campaign.
I started GM'ing a Magical Girl campaign using the AMGCYOA core/rules (I still regret that decision) mostly as a joke. My friends had fun with it, and...I'm still running that campaign, almost a year later.
>>
>>52304783
Ideally every 2 weeks. But we are flexible, and right now we are on hatius cause some are on a month long vacation
Roughly an hour of 3 to 4
I was gaming in a different group with this guy. Then he started up a new group for Call of Cthulhu, which he invited me for. That group is still going strong, even though this guy has left. There are some more people joining and dropping through the years.
>Where do you game?
At the house of one of the players. It's the most central.
>>
I have a small group of 3, and we usually meet up online once every 2-3 days.

That's mostly because I just run Fate or DnD so it's just a matter of winging it or making an interesting enough dungeon.
>>
>>52305321
Also, we tend to rotate the gm-ing, going like this:
>I have a story i'd like to tell.
>i'mma use this system

All stories tend to have an end, because we enjoy that and to keep the ball rolling. Everyone does a good and fun job gming, and it keeps it fresh. Plus, getting to play systems other then dnd or pf
>>
>>52304783
Meeting with people, at least once per week, for a 5 hours long game is the least I both want and need. I remember uni time, when we were able to play every other day and it was glorious, but nowdays once per week is usually all we can get.
For me, the perfect situation would be 2 times a week, 5 hours each. This keeps the game with good pace, allows everyone to easily recall what was going around last time without autistic-tier notes or outright recording of the game. But anything more is welcomed. We once went on vacations together and we were playing basically every day for three weeks, just changing places where the game was held. Best time I ever had as a GM, even if I run out of ideas prepared for that marathon after just 11 days and had to improvise.
>>
>>52304783
When we can, this can be anything from once every two weeks to once every three months
3-8 hours
>>Do you have a group of pre-existing friends or did you meet through the group?
I knew all of them before
>Where do you game?
Either someones house or the workplace of one of our freinds when he games with us
>>
>>52304783
we meet once a week at our LGS, and usually play for about 4-5 hours, starting from about 6pm.
ultimately i didn't know any of the players besides my brother when we first started, since they were all either my brothers' friends or strangers. we get along pretty well, though, and i'd call them good friends.
>>
>>52304783
I have 3 or 4 sessions a week for 6 ongoing campaigns. For the roll20 campaigns we meet weekly for 2h30 long sessions, for the irl campaign with friends living in my city we meet weelky for 4 hours of play and the other campaigns we play once every month at one of our places.
>>
>>52305975
Also when we met for a session it usually lasts the weekend, we sleep there and do other shit as well.
>>
File: 1488062782471.gif (2MB, 700x513px) Image search: [Google]
1488062782471.gif
2MB, 700x513px
>>52304783
Once or twice every month or so when we can manage university weekends on Skype.
The session always starts with everyone chatting about stuff that has nothing to do with the setting, and generally shutting around on current news in anime and video games and stuff.

Then we play for a while, then after an hour or two of play we break for lunch, and pick up again afterwards for another two or so hours of play.

Then we end the session, everyone shoots the shit as we wind things down, and one by one we leave.

Pretty comfy way to spend a weekend, desu
>>
>>52304783
Once a week, though we take a week off every month because one player can't make our usual day one week a month.

We don't have a set limit, but usually roughly 3 hours. Less if we're all tired, more if we feel up to it/take longer to get to a natural stopping point.

All friends, plus my younger brother who's trying to get into tabletop.

>Where do you game?
At my house (I'm the GM.) Two of my players always skype in, though, since they live a long way away; a third is only in town half the time and skypes in when he's not here. So there's usually me + 1-2 other people here and 2-3 people over skype.

We're playing Mage: the Awakening at the moment, which means we don't need a grid or map or anything, so it works out.
>>
>>52304783
Only once.

About three hours.

Technically the latter, but it's often a couple of friends that take pity on my empty table.

>Where do you game?
Local monthly con.
Where most visitors are just Hanzo mains.
They'd rather literally stand around doing nothing than invest the little bit of thought and time needed for a new and specifically newbie-friendly experience.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.