[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the best tabletop wargame to get into if I'm the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

File: 1472979557782.png (334KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1472979557782.png
334KB, 500x500px
What is the best tabletop wargame to get into if I'm the type of person who would put hobby first, game second?

I'm brand new to this kind of thing so naturally I've been looking at 40k, which has impressed me quite a bit with it's army line-up. There's some great looking stuff I would absolutely love to assemble and paint, and I've assembled a basic surface knowledge of the rules and watched some battle reports and it looks like a game I would enjoy playing (FWIW I'm coming from tabletop RPGs).

I have zero interest in playing competitively, just casually for fun. To my knowledge X-Wing and Warmachine are the next two most popular wargames but the models just don't look anywhere near as appealing. Is there anything else out there I should consider or would 40k be right for me?
>>
File: this.jpg (19KB, 550x550px) Image search: [Google]
this.jpg
19KB, 550x550px
>>52303969
Look at historicals. Once you get past Bolt Action there are literally games for everything. Find the HWG general on /tg/ too.

Unless of course you just want sci-fi. Then buy into and waste all your money on GW plastic crack
>>
>>52303969
>Is there anything else out there I should consider or would 40k be right for me?
Your next step should be scoping out the local game stores and asking what gets played there most often.

mind, if you think 40k's cool there's no real reason to avoid it
>>
>>52303969
John carmack on the right ?
>>
File: 1462943963980.jpg (56KB, 472x720px) Image search: [Google]
1462943963980.jpg
56KB, 472x720px
>>52304131

>Unless of course you just want sci-fi

That's kind of what I want, historicals seem like they're aimed at history buffs and people really into their tanks and firearms, neither of which is me.

I could go for something more fantasy themed if the art style, variety and model quality was good, though.

Another thing that I'm just assuming 40K has going for it but I'm going to look into to confirm is what >>52304161 mentions. If 40K is the easiest thing to find a game to play then that's a pretty major feature. I think the closest LGS to me might actually be a GWstore so it may well be the case. That said, actually playing will be secondary feature for me.

>>52304169

Sure is, his negro strangling pythons are unmistakable. John Romero on the left.
>>
>>52303969
Your best bet should be to play whatever your local community plays. It often includes 40K or Warmachine, probably Infinity and Xwing. WMH is way more competitive than 40K so there's that. On the other hand Infinity and other skirmish/sports games are way cheaper to get into.
>>
>>52303969
If you are into anime, and consider "heroes vs Hoards' a type of wargame, you could play super dungeon explore.

I had fun painting the models, and the game is fun in of itself, if a bit obtuse.
>>
>>52304161
Yeah, even if you're putting hobby first and game second, at some point you're going to want to play with your toy soldiers and that usually means having other people to play with.

You want a game that's played in your area, and by a group that are have at least some other people play in a way that's generally compatible with your hobby first preference. 40k could be - and probably will be! - the most popular game at your FLGS, but if everyone who plays it there is a game-first-hobby-second sort of player, you're probably not going to enjoy playing with them that much.
>>
File: 1469514730540.gif (4MB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1469514730540.gif
4MB, 480x480px
>>52304191

Yeah I've heard a near consensus in general that Warmachine is the better competitive game, as well as being cheaper to initially get into which I can totally believe both. I just don't really like the model art style or the lesser variety and scale compared to 40K, and I miss the larger battle sizes in it as well just from watching.

>>52304205

Not an anime fan really, but appreciate the suggestion all the same anon-san.

>>52304212

Yep, this is exactly right. I really hope I can find other 40K players who are not meta game min-maxers who play their army because they love their play-style, aesthetic and fluff. If I do I think I'll love it.

If not, I guess I could still be loved and manage to have fun playing Orks to make everyone feel good about their armies?
>>
>>52303969
I think 40k's great if you're a hobby first, game second kind of guy, since the lion's share of the issues with 40k are with the game. On top of that, all GW's products tend to be as hard to mess up with as possible to help out all the kiddos playing 40k, so their kits/paints especially are great for people with no tabletop experience. Their tools, primers and brushes are alright quality, but you have plenty of other, cheaper, and equally as good options for those.

I think 40k is right for you, but I also think you should invest as little as possible to get you started. Keep your army to a kill team minimum or 500pts max (generally you can get this with a single start collecting box), grab the bare minimum of GW paints to paint up the colour scheme you'd want for you army (generally you'd only need a primer, a base colour for each colour you want in your army, a brown or black wash, and a metallic colour too maybe), and some third party craft knife, paint brush and super glue (I really recommend super over plastic glue, since you can easily snap off a superglued piece and reposition it if you've messed up/are unhappy).

Keep in mind that's specifically the bare minimum, you will probably need/want a lot more than that if you really get into the hobby, but that should be enough for you to find out if it's for you or not.
>>
>>52304354

Thanks for the extended response. I think it's looking like 40K is indeed the most likely candidate for what I'm after. I also forgot to mention I have a couple of friends who are into it at various levels, so that'a a bonus.

Yes I'm definitely not intending on going crazy to start with. I'll just be grabbing a Start Collecting box of my army of choice (most like Skitarii / AdMech) and then expanding from there once I've done with those and determined if it's for me.
>>
>>52303969
Gonna ramble a bit here, but I am also a hobby first / game second (but still important) type of player. I've got a few decades of hobby under my belt, so hopefully I can be of some help. =)

First thing is, if you're hobby first, then miniatures are obviously priority one and you should pick a game for which you love the miniatures. It's a buyer's market right now - there are more manufacturers of minis and mini games right now than I think there have ever been, and the average quality is very high. Tabletop Fix (http://ttfix.blogspot.com/) is a blog I frequent that keeps up with new releases across the industry (except GW, amusingly - they threatened legal action if he didn't stop reposting their stuff). A few clicks through the archives there will give you an idea of the sheer breadth of what's available.

I'd also say, being new to the hobby, probably don't make a large game (in terms of model count) like 40K or Warmachine your toe-in-the-water. Skirmish games like Guildball, Malifaux, and Infinity are played with something in the neighborhood of 10 models per side, which makes them faster and less expensive to get involved in. Painting up a full 40K army is a huge commitment, whereas you can build and paint a Malifaux crew over a weekend.

Finally, a few recommendations. At the moment, my favorite actively produced miniatures are probably Wild West Exodus, Kingdom Death, Hawk, Wyrd and Scibor. My favorite miniature games currently are Guildball, Warmachine, Kings of War and Planetfall. As you can see, not a ton of overlap there - but that's fine. Once you get away from the big companies and their flagship games, nobody really cares about using proxies or alternate models (especially if they're awesome).
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.