[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General: "Stop making bland threads"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 419
Thread images: 55

File: Hekaton full.png (657KB, 671x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Hekaton full.png
657KB, 671x1024px
>New Unearthed Arcana: Wizard Revisited
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/MJ320UAWizardVF2017.pdf

>Official survey on Unearthed Arcana: The Mystic Class
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/068d0a122041

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previously, on /5eg/
>>52293149

How do you feel about archetypes that step on the toes of other classes? I mean arcana cleric, theurgy and the likes.
>>
http://www.strawpoll.me/12574247

How do you feel about the new UA?
>>
>>52298430
I like them. They're like a sideways version of multiclassing but often with their own twist.
>>
How do I convince boring people to use a fighting style other than sword and shield?
>>
File: BlueOysterCultImaginos.jpg (11KB, 220x222px) Image search: [Google]
BlueOysterCultImaginos.jpg
11KB, 220x222px
>>52295978
>>52296969
Once, everything was great. Then some asshole stole the wind and all weather patterns across the world became fixed in place. Cites bake under cloudless skies while storms rage eternal elsewhere, drowning everything in a great flood. Still air chokes the valleys and a ceaseless howling grinds down mountains.

>Astronomy
https://youtu.be/SY7h4VEd_Wk
A warlock named Desdinova (Imaginos) was recruiting adventurers at the Four Winds Bar to help him recapture the wind. His current apprentice, Carrie, gave them half of a magic map that can locate the wind, and told them to find his former apprentice (Searchin' for Celine) who went rogue and is helping the wind-thief. Some of the other adventurers there were working for the thief, so there was a brief fight before they could set out.

>Mistress of the Salmon Salt / Don't Pay the Ferryman (yeah i know that's chris deburgh) / Don't Fear the Reaper
https://youtu.be/ePskTD61oH0
https://youtu.be/8kNwvIEQsg0
https://youtu.be/nJO7XBOdA6M
The map led them to a village that was overrun with enormous plants under the thrall of a crazed Druid (Quicklime Girl) who'd diverted all the local water sources (since there's no rain anymore) to water her plants--and was feeding the villagers to them. They roasted her shit and got a magical vine-o-la. They boarded a ferry to go upriver to the next city but paid for their ride in advance, so the ferryman (the Reaper) tried to drown them mid-stream and keep their cash.
>>
>>52298430
I love them.
>>
>>52298464
>Sword and shield
>Boring
Right, because GWM, polearm mastery and sharpshooter are so interesting.
>>
File: Fire_Of_Unknown_origin.jpg (64KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
Fire_Of_Unknown_origin.jpg
64KB, 350x350px
>>52298479
>Hungry Boys / The Siege and Investiture of Baron von Frankenstein's Castle
https://youtu.be/FPhEgjpVbJE
https://youtu.be/AoPqrzkYMJ4
The next stop was a city whose population had been partially been replaced by cannibal-fiends created by a mad necromancer up in his castle. The party helped free some trapped civilians and OF COURSE the fucking Rogue decided to get high on cannibal-coke and became a thrall of the necromancer-Baron. The party decided they'd storm the castle to get their bro back and got some of the surviving townsfolk to join them on the march against the necromancer, killing him, his undead monstrosity, freeing the Rogue, and jacking the Baron's thundersticks.

>Golden Age of Leather
https://youtu.be/PDgJpQZae0E
The map pointed them across a vast desert, so they decided to stock up on supplies and get some camels. They met a tribe of Mongolian-styled dudes who were dying out and failed to convince them to just adapt to life in some other part of the world. The tribe was having a big feast in advance of a great and suicidal ride into the heart of a windstorm raging in the center of the desert, because they'd rather go out with a bang. The party hitched a ride with them to go as far as the storm and wound up having to fight some sand serpents and elementals in a giant battle where plenty of the Mongolians died. A bro they'd made in the tribe gave them an ancestral flute ("THE FLUTE IS A HEAVY METAL INSTRUMENT") and his embroidered leather jacket for their help and rode off into the storm to glorious death.
>>
>>52298430
Total BS. Its like they acknowledge that there's issues with the classes they're trying to blend into, but rather than fixing the issue they sidestep it.

In other news,

In 5e, are daggers treated as more of a novice weapon than they were in the past? I know the items in the books are "official" and sort of meant to guide homebrew, but there's not many magical daggers. Is the idea that I'm not supposed to use daggers, unless I have to or there's no better option available?
>>
File: BOC_CultErec.jpg (61KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
BOC_CultErec.jpg
61KB, 350x350px
>>52298492
>Dancin' in the Ruins / Hot Rails to Hell
https://youtu.be/yPUzxMnmhkQ
https://youtu.be/pc9PPy0jzc8
Skirting around the storm, the magic map suddenly switched destinations and pointed the party to a ruined town in the middle of the desert, so they decided to recoup there and see if they could scavenge any shit. All they found was some hostile skellingtons and a hole leading into a giant stone hill they reasoned used to be a mountain before it was eroded away. They beat up the boss skellington and jacked his magical ribcage. Inside the hole they found a shortcut through the desert in the form of an old Dwarven mine cart rail and went on a high-speed death ride through sweltering magma- and skellington-filled caverns.

>Make Rock Not War / Career of Evil
https://youtu.be/1oa4iwGoP5U
https://youtu.be/HY3NQUoT89k
Emerging on the other side of the desert, they passed into a town in the plains in the midst of a civil war. Two powerful Bards were using enchantment magic and the power of music to enthrall and enslave the citizens, as well as fight against the minions of the opposing Bard. The resistance movement contacted the party and they hatched a plan to throw a rock concert using the CONVENIENTLY GATHERED MAGICAL ITEMS WHICH FUNCTION AS INSTRUMENTS to override the Bards' spells, freeing the people and leading a massive revolt to kill the assholes. Then all of their shit was stolen by an agent of the Wind-Thief who'd infiltrated the resistance and was laying in wait for the party.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to do a Flaming Telepaths / Veterans of the Psychic Wars session for next week.
>>
>>52298430

SEND ME LINKS TO YOUR FAVOURITE ONE SHOT ADVENTURES I AM A LAZY DM
>>
>>52298500
There aren't many magic corssbows either.
>>
>>52298430
Eldritch Knight was lacking. I thought it would have been magic infused attack and not switching between them.
>>52298464
You give them a reason forsake defence and kill all before harm come.
>>
File: IMG_0785.jpg (17KB, 318x159px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0785.jpg
17KB, 318x159px
>>52297349

Come to Duardin Thunderhammer's Fortress of ethnic cleansing and help us eliminate the knife eared pleague
>>
>>52298464
>How do I convince boring people to use a fighting style other than sword and shield?

Maybe, just maybe you should construct a game with actual options. Instead of saying "3.5 sucked! So we're never going to have interesting chargen again! Also, ability score requirements for multiclassing, because AD&D did it!". Not to mention keeping a greatsword at 2d6 damage which is 2.5 more than a longsword, making it objectively better in all circumstances so fighting with a shield isn't even fucking worth it. AC is slightly less shit now but it never improves so what's the fucking point? If they actually made feats that you could combine 2 or 3 of and stopped making you give up ASIs for them (or better yet remove ASIs because they are fucking stupid and go against bounded accuracy that Merals fellate so furiously) then they might produce an interesting chargen. But Merals doesn't give a fuck about chargen, he said he's sick of D&D discussion circling around theorycrafting and he wants it to be all about nat20 stories and actualy in game events, ignoring the fact that that was already a good portion of the discussion. So he just kills half the 5e discussion right there, shuts down the Wizards of the Coast forums, then points to sales figures driven by Critical Roll and Stranger Things and says "look! look! I did that! I did that by fucking up slightly less than I did with 4e!"
>>
>>52298553
Fuck off, Virt.
>>
>>52298464
In other words: your "boring" people will never use a different fighting style because there is no reason to. The weapons have zero mechanical diversity. Having weapon style feats would help, but Merals hates those because they were in 3.5 and 3.5 was bad. All of it. Nothing from 3.5 can be kept in. Unless it's the shitty parts like triangular spell matrix casting and hit dice. Or the shitty parts of 4e like healing surges (hit dice) and once-per-day fighter abilities. But if it's one of the good parts of those two editions? The parts that were imperfect but needed some work, and would require someone with actual game design chops? Nah fuck that, delete those and put some pretty art and sell the book for forty bucks and they'll buy it anyway.
>>
>>52298463
ok actually yeah, I'll give you that. I just think so far they've done it in such terrible ways. It always ends up being too much versatility, all while sorcerers are sitting at 15 spells.

An Arcana Cleric can learn 9th level Wizard spells and 9th level Cleric spells. Why should a blended class have access like that, when a fully fledged multiclass can't? With archetypes like these, who needs multiclassing to begin with?
>>
File: Loremaster wizard.png (638KB, 586x588px) Image search: [Google]
Loremaster wizard.png
638KB, 586x588px
>>52298567
Our company's not called "Sorcerers of the Coast', son.
>>
>>52298464
Only put magical warhammers in.
>>
>>52298564
>Crawford is the no-fun faggot who gives shitty answers in Sage Advice and cleaves more tightly to the past
>Mearls says "do whatever you want man" more often than not
>any time people are talking about what gets put in officially, everyone says Crawford is in charge and his rulings override Mearls'
>when something they don't like happens, they insist it was Mearls' doing and he's the one responsible for all creative decisions
i dunno man
i think there may be some misplaced anger here
is it because he has a (((rainbow))) twitter icon that so triggers our lovely autists?
>>
>>52298464
1. If monsters ignore them, their sword-and-shieldliness doesn't really help them much at all.
2. If they wanna suck, they can suck. If you're a fighter, you're better off with crossbow expert or polearm mastery.
3. Instead of having compulsory feats, you should buff people who refuse to take sensible builds and nerf people who know the exact right feat combinations - Let everybody choose a part of any applicable feat to apply to a weapon in their inventory. Each weapon they carry gets a different one. Then remove those stupid compulsory feats.
i.e. sword user gets parts of the sword mastery UA feat for free, and can use different parts on different swords.
>>
File: o007.jpg (49KB, 237x306px) Image search: [Google]
o007.jpg
49KB, 237x306px
>>52298604
I HATE RAINBOWS
>>
>>52298551
Haha go dworfs! Fuck those gay elves am I right?!
Christ this shit has been obnoxious for years.

>>52298567
Multiclassing is an optional rule anyway, stop acting like it is a major part of the game.
>>
File: neckbeard_god.jpg (59KB, 405x720px) Image search: [Google]
neckbeard_god.jpg
59KB, 405x720px
>>52298604
>Mearls says "do whatever you want man" more often than not

That's because he knows the game is bad and his excuse is "ignore the rules" instead of fixing them.
>>
>>52298630
>imblyin that "Optional" doesn't translate to "If you don't know shit about DMing, don't allow this rule"
>>
>>52298487
Well I mean, compared to him playing literally the same character in every damn game, yes. He's not even using that fighting style for the shield that imposes disadvantage. Just the free +1 AC one.
>>
File: 1465551979964.png (346KB, 639x420px) Image search: [Google]
1465551979964.png
346KB, 639x420px
>mfw want to destroy the wall
And maybe slap around the gods a bit It's for their own good I swear
>>
How do you implement formation?
>>
>>52298662
Forgotten Realms a shit.
>>
File: Hobbit-3-Design-WEPFeb-2015-028.jpg (322KB, 2300x1626px) Image search: [Google]
Hobbit-3-Design-WEPFeb-2015-028.jpg
322KB, 2300x1626px
>>52298515
>>52298500

So anyone got any cool ideas for some magical daggers and or magical crossbows aside from the obvious +1,2,3

pic related for neat crossbow ideas
>>
>>52298567
I'd be okay with less multiclassing if they improved on archetypes.

And we could probably do with some non-magical "hybrid" archetypes, like maybe a Swashbuckler (fighters mimicking rogues) or brawlers (fighters with a monk's unarmed focus)
>>
>>52298509

lads, I....
>>
>>52298651
Here's an idea: he's playing the character he wants to play. Why are you so goddamn butthurt over it?
>>
File: Ryder confused.gif (4MB, 280x302px) Image search: [Google]
Ryder confused.gif
4MB, 280x302px
>>52298509
>Playing premade adventures
>>
>>52298681
The Apocalypse dagger from AI that Perkins used was p fuckin funny when it ate half the party.

Autoreloading/maybe exploding crossbows are my go to when I want to give the crossbow using character a fun new toy
>>
>being hermaphroditische knife-eared faggot

Why live?
>>
>>52298703

Hey man, I said I was lazy. I'm a bit of a flaky DM so I'm going to run mostly single session dungeons when I can, all tied together by a general storyline. I dont want to universe build because I'm liable to fuck off to another country for three weeks while my players play the other campaign my group runs.
>>
File: Happy elf.png (10KB, 211x238px) Image search: [Google]
Happy elf.png
10KB, 211x238px
>>52298738
>False flagging this hard
I wonder who could be behind this post!
>>
>>52298754

KEK
>>
>>52298663
What kind of formation? Are you going for some Ass Combat?

>>52298681
dagger comes back to your hand no action required
homing dagger +to hit -damage
rip off that prince of persia dagger, who let's you cast haste, slow, augury, rewind time one turn
pick other magic weapons and just change it to dagger
>>
File: IMG_0787.png (5KB, 336x330px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0787.png
5KB, 336x330px
>>52298754

Why u care bout tree!!
>>
>>52298685
The rest of the group likes to play different characters and actually roleplay. I'm not butthurt, because in real life nobody freaks the fuck out about pedantic shit like this, he's just a good friend in our group, and frankly just a boring roleplayer. It's just a small part of it. Knowing exactly how he's going to behave in every station makes him uninteresting.

I guess if you're really socially inept that you can't see past the hyperbole, a better way to ask this is: "How do I get my friend to play not the exact same character every single game?"
>>
>>52298754
>happy elf
How happy exactly. Joyful? Glad? Elated?
Gay, even?
>>
>>52298681
Well, there's the old ones from 2e:
Crossbow of accuracy (bonus to hit, not to damage. All ranges count as short range)
Crossbow of distance (double range)
Crossbow of speed (double rate of fire, cocks itself)
Dagger, Longtooth (turns into a shortsword when used by small characters. Does maximum damage to wood or stone)
Dagger of throwing (180 ft range, double damage on throws)
Dagger of venom (has a small compartment for 6 doses of poison. On a nat 20 will inflict save or die poison on the victim)
Hornblade (size ranges from knife to scimitar. Hidden blade springs out of hafted horn)
Knife, buckle (knife that looks like a belt buckle)
>>
File: 1470632801372.jpg (427KB, 1100x1425px) Image search: [Google]
1470632801372.jpg
427KB, 1100x1425px
Now that mystics are a thing do you think we'll get psionic races? Will they bring back old ones or possibly make new ones?
>>
If you get lucky with the placement of the Sunsword in CoS, like the crossroads graves or Madam Evas encampment, and get it early enough I think a Paladin of level 5 could have a decent chance of soloing Strahd, and perhaps in 1 turn if he gets two crits

Consider, two crits does
8d8+12 radiant (sunsword crit)
16d8 radiant (Divine smite crit)
For a total median damage of
120 plus 20 damage from sunlight hypersensitivity, thats almost all Strahds 144 hp in one turn, If your paladin is vengeance and you use Hunters mark, thats an extra 14 (4d6) which puts you over his HP with median damage
>>
File: IMG_0788.png (101KB, 210x195px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0788.png
101KB, 210x195px
>>52298834
Top Kek
>>
>>52298805

We have one guy in our group like that. We just tease him about it.
>>
>>52298430
my gay-ass tiefling is a favored soul sorc and servant of Sune

even if the DM wasn't throwing so much shit at us, I think I'd still feel underpowered at this point, just because of how strong the monk and barb are

presumably that'll change when I get fireball
>>
File: Asmodeus.jpg (79KB, 564x686px) Image search: [Google]
Asmodeus.jpg
79KB, 564x686px
What do you guys think about the announcement that we'll be getting stats for all of the Archdevils? Does this mean we're going to be getting stats for gods?
>>
>>52298942
I don't care. 90% of the games never reach the point where you can fight them.
>>
>>52298942
>implying any characters could kill a god

Oh wait this is D&D
>>
>>52298942
I have never bothered with stats for extremely powerful creatures, because it only opens them up to be cheesed and makes them look pathetic compared to other established things they should destroy easily.

If I'm going to put a God or Archdevil in my game to be fought and defeated, I'll make my own statblock and oodles of other things necessary to even stand a chance. I really don't go in for the whole "five guys hit level 16 and start killing Lathander" deal.
>>
File: 1403905729790.jpg (49KB, 300x345px) Image search: [Google]
1403905729790.jpg
49KB, 300x345px
So my Necromancer Wizard just became level 6. Given enough downtime, I can raise and control 12 zombies and/or skeletons at a time.

Have I won the game?

Reposted from the last thread, didn't realize it was dead.
>>
>>52298970
I don't know man, Tiamat's stat block is pretty great. Like, limited spell immunity is something that the Tarrasque should have had.
>>
>>52298976
No, you win he game when you can beat a lvl 20 moon druid
>>
>>52298952
There are some level 10-ish builds, maybe lower, that have a conceivable chance of 1v1ing most of the Demon Lords if you try hard enough.
>>
>>52298976
Only if your table and party is full of faggots who will let you get away with being a corpse-defiling necromancer in their presence.
>>
>>52299026
What kind of cuck has a problem with skellingtons?
>>
>>52298703
Jesus what went wrong? The model used for her is hot
>>
>>52298942
>New book that has massive chapters, each devoted to the creatures and environment of all the planes

yes fucking please. Gimme my proper 5e Hollyphant and Roving Mauler while you're at it.
>>
>>52299042
normal villagers, paladins, clerics. ya know, those guys
>>
>>52299042
Apparently this elves faggot right here >>52299026
>>
>>52298847
You're forgetting his bonus health from his castle, and relying on 2 crits so he doesn't get a turn to take any evasive action (bearing in mind he gets legendary actions that allow him to move 4 times before your next turn, including changing into a bat or whatever
>>
>>52299026
>>52299056
>Party consists of CE Paladin, NE Rogue, Druid, Bard and a Fighter who doesn't RP

I'm good!
>>
>>52298430
I don't mind a class dipping into another's niche.
I don't like it when that dip is somehow better than the class it's emulating at that niche.
>>
>>52298681
My one friend got a "lucky dagger", where if he rolls 17-20 without proficiency, it is a crit but 1-3 are crit misses.
>>
File: 1475148179553.jpg (131KB, 462x587px) Image search: [Google]
1475148179553.jpg
131KB, 462x587px
>>52299082
>CE Paladin
5e was a mistake.
>>
Anyone ever do anything interesting with their characters when they've died and been resurrected?
>>
>>52298843
We sadly won't be seeing Thri-Kreen anytime soon, however we may see an Eberron push with Kalashtar and Psiforged Warforged Subrace?

Half-Giants were kind of folded into Goliaths and Firbolgs so we probably won't see them...how do both of those do as mystics anyhow?

Maybe a Goblin Blue variant. Maybe Shardmind will be revisited again. Xephs, Elans, and Dromites may yet see resurgence.
>>
>>52299194
No anon. Someone allowing a CE Paladin was a mistake.
>>
>>52299082
>the Druid won't have a problem with you creating undead abominations

>>52299194
We have to go back.
>>
>>52299218

pls fill in a casual
what does the CE stand for?
>>
>>52299218
But there are three evil oaths, anon.
>>
>>52299026
>>52299056
>>52299194
>>52299224
You know you unimaginative faggots could go to another edition, right?
>>
>>52299239
Cum eating
>>
>>52299239
Chaotic Evil i.e lolz randumb murder the alignment.
>>
>>52298942
>stats for all of the Archdevils
Wait wait where was that announced? I've been wanting that for a while now!
>>
File: reaper.jpg (588KB, 1920x1100px) Image search: [Google]
reaper.jpg
588KB, 1920x1100px
>>52299239
Chaotic Evil.
The "I stab the questgiver" alignment.
The "I burn down the orphanage when the paladin isn't looking" alignment.
The "I rape the bar maid" alignment.
The "That's what my character would do!" alignment.
>>
>>52299257
Better yet, I could just not allow CE shitlords at my table. Especially CE Paladins.
>>
>>52299209
>won't be seeing Thri-Kreen anytime soon,
Why do you think that in particular? The most recent miniature line includes a number of Thri-Kreen figures, so they have more representation within 5e than pretty much any other, non-underdark Toril based psionics.
>>
>>52299281
Mike Mearls' twitter
>>
>>52299206
>reincarnate them as a completely different race and class and have them show up at their own funeral, because their god planned it
>>
>>52299300
>Why do you think that in particular
(((Mike Mearls))) literally said so in those exact words.
>>
File: ----.jpg (106KB, 554x439px) Image search: [Google]
----.jpg
106KB, 554x439px
>>52299276
>>52299291
>>52299294
>[autistic screeching]
>>
>>52299206
I had a character who was a regular Twilight Druid, but the last thing they did when they first died was try and convince kobolds that he was one of them by speaking Draconic and such. So when they brought me back, the DM had me roll a wisdom save, and I failed, so my character really did think he was a kobold for a session. It ended with the idea for my character to multiclass into a Warlock with a pact with Tiamet.
>>
>>52299316
I do this to elves to cure them of their faggotry
>>
>>52299291
Reaper seems more NE to me
>>
>>52299328
>not reuniting with your confused gay lover

what are you, some kind of drow
>>
>>52299318
Well damn, I ignore the twitter stuff except for rules questions.
>>
>>52299354
No I'm a dwarf
>>
>>52299291

Ah. Yeah, makes sense.
>>
>>52299368
so your wife has a beard, but elves are the gay ones?
>>
File: 1435156759058.jpg (4KB, 229x255px) Image search: [Google]
1435156759058.jpg
4KB, 229x255px
>>52299194
>>52299218
>>52299276
>>52299291
>>52299294
No guys, it's fine, he only tried killing and sacrificing an innocent girl all alone because he was acting in-character to his Yuan-Ti death god, it was completely in character! And let me tell you, he was completely justified in his ranting against the DM for not allowing him to get an easy kill when it turned out that character was a high level monk that was intended to be a plot hook! And the DM was completely in the wrong to turn off his magical item, even though it's powered by a LG Paladin spirit! How could someone who decided to be a CE paladin EVER be in the wrong? Clearly, he wasn't just a shitty player who was butthurt he wasn't allowed to be a raging douchebag and egg on the DM until he folded and allowed him to recover his connection with the weapon.
>>
>>52299384
No they're not gay they're all tree lovers so I call them stick bundles
>>
>>52299368
"Dwarf" and "tease" are the same word in elven.
>>
>>52299409

Goddamn maybe I'm a bit of an asshole of a DM but I just wouldn't let any of my players play a CE character unless the campaign was designed for it.
>>
>>52299412
everyone knows elven maidens like clams
>>
>>52299412
a major step forward in elf/dwarf relations
>>
>>52299452
Sticks I can easily crush under my mighty dwarves feet
>>
>>52299435
I'd let a player do CE, IF they had a strong connection to someone or something that would make the character want to 'behave'
>>
>>52299444
Sweet digits
>>
File: Hobbies_and_Love.jpg (57KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Hobbies_and_Love.jpg
57KB, 640x480px
What's a good encounter for a shitty scrubland? I'm already running sneaky gargoyles, a mysterious obelisk, a busted barrow, and a Big Dick Manticore. Combat and Non-Combat are both welcome.

Party is level 4.
>>
>>52299487
Gnolls?
>>
>>52299459

I guess it depends on the player too, but I'd shut that shit down so fucking fast if he started making the other players upset.
>>
>>52299291

Is it really necessary to act like that as CE? When I play evil characters I usually do it with some sense of subtlety, and if it's chaotic evil the chaos comes in the form of compulsive stealing or interjecting with mean/snide comments at inappropriate times. I guess I'm doing it wrong
>>
>>52299487
Rust monsters. Your party is going to love it.
>>
>>52299487
Just fucking throw 10 Animated Weapons at them. But make each one a different weapon. An animated sword, or an animated greataxe, or an animated javelin, and end it with a sneak attack from an animated gun that throws itself to the ground to reload.
>>
File: Bishop.jpg (21KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Bishop.jpg
21KB, 300x300px
>>52299516
> "I betray the party."
>>
>>52299513
oh, if CE-kun started pissing off his carer, he'd get the boot

you get a chance, not an all-access pass
>>
>>52299518
You are evil
>>
>>52299513
>reeeeeeeee my players feefeeeesss
>>
>>52299518

>Corroding weapons

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEe
>>
>>52299435
I've done it, the players killed him the first session because he was a complete ass with no redeeming qualities.Also the DM let him pick a snowflake homebrew that made him a pseudo undead, two of the PCs hated undead, one a paladin the other due to back story.
>>
>>52299516
Meh. CE is the alignment of a dangerous primal monster. As long as you have that in the back of your brain, you can argue you're playing it right. If I pick an Evil alignment I'm expecting to die at some point if I'm paying it right.
>>
File: edgear.webm (2MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
edgear.webm
2MB, 640x360px
>>52299540
I don't know how it happens at your table, but at my table I run the games in such a way that everyone has fun. When a disruptive player starts shitting the game up and actively spoiling the fun for others, that player is ejected.
>>
>>52299540

My players are my friends, lad, and I don't like it when my friends fight because if the dnd group breaks up we don't get two Christmases
>>
>>52299570
>>52299573
nice to see some people aren't edgy dms
>>
File: 1413396476452.jpg (39KB, 643x580px) Image search: [Google]
1413396476452.jpg
39KB, 643x580px
>>52299540
I can smell the EU license plate. Let's throw hands right now kid get ready
>>
File: 1484472858759.jpg (555KB, 1001x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1484472858759.jpg
555KB, 1001x1500px
I can't play D&D in my house, and the LGS I go to gives last priority to roleplayers when it comes to space because they pay the least. Where are some alternatives where you can comfortably run a game, and what methods are reliable in recruiting players?

This whole logistics shit is killing me.
>>
/5eg/, I need your help.
We're currently level 2, and in week of in-game time we have to join some NPCs in retaking a lost mine. The problem? This mine is infested by bulettes.
At which level should we be able to take them? Because they seem pretty hardcore.
>>
File: roll20.jpg (1MB, 1718x874px) Image search: [Google]
roll20.jpg
1MB, 1718x874px
>>52299624
Hi.
>>
File: Roll Perception.jpg (446KB, 690x2709px) Image search: [Google]
Roll Perception.jpg
446KB, 690x2709px
>>52299507
I was kinda planning on using gnolls elsewhere, but that's a good choice otherwise, don't get me wrong. I just a separate, Gnoll-tastic zone already set up.

>>52299518
>>52299528
Havin' a giggle, I see how it is.
>>
File: 1480735613461.jpg (41KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1480735613461.jpg
41KB, 720x960px
>>52299651
No.
>>
>>52299548
>start with an ancestral stone warhammer
>acquire other weapons through play
>DM throws some kind of metal-corroding piece of shit at us
>HA HA MOTHERFUCKER
This is how you can separate the manly Fighter-in-every-edition wheat from the Paladin-scumming chaff. My inventory is six pages long. I have something to stab, chop, bludgeon, or otherwise destroy anything you want to throw the party's way.
>>
>>52299652
I'm not fucking kidding, use a fuckton of Animated weapons. It'll be fun to track down their master, some fucking crazy wizard with no sense of right or wrong.
>>
>>52299570
>>52299573
>>52299612
Sorry about your safespace, college kids :^)
>>
>>52299711
Whatever happened to good bait?
>>
>>52299631
My party took on a few at level 4 but we were a group of six players.
>>
>>52299732
Any tips on fighting them?
>>
>>52299624
You don't want to play in an LGS period. If it's nice out, play outside. If someone is willing to host a game, fuckin host there. There are also certain businesses like coffee shops that don't mind someone hosting a game during slow hours because it bumps up business a bit and makes their store look better.
>>
>>52299209

I forgot all about the Elan, I love the concept of them but I wish there was better fluff other than being immortal psionic constructs (or were they aberrants?)
>>
>>52299691

Yeah I got fucked by some acid shit while playing a barb and totally fucked up a dead NPCs ancestral warhammer.

So I just fucking punched them from that point on.
>>
File: 1395878307680.jpg (6KB, 251x165px) Image search: [Google]
1395878307680.jpg
6KB, 251x165px
>>52299691
>My inventory is six pages long.
>>
File: THIS BAIT CAIM FROM THE MOON.jpg (32KB, 630x630px) Image search: [Google]
THIS BAIT CAIM FROM THE MOON.jpg
32KB, 630x630px
>>52299711
>>
>>52299691
>My inventory is six pages long.

It must be nice to have a DM who doesn't give a shit about carry capacity.
>>
>>52299624
>I can't play D&D in my house
You should have 4 or so other people in your group. None of them can host the game?
>>
>>52299691
Does that make you feel better as a Fighter cuck while full Paladins are throwing out Polearm Master smites or Paladin/Hexblade Warlocks are throwing out ultra mega double greatsword smites?
>>
File: wheeledbackpack.png (1019KB, 918x918px) Image search: [Google]
wheeledbackpack.png
1019KB, 918x918px
>>52299934
>his backpack doesn't have wheels and a handy kickstand
>>
>>52298553
I find 5e options far more compelling than 3e.
3e gives you few options, just "mechanical clusterfuck of nonsense." For example, "human fighter with sword and shield, who, get this, has a fighting style linked to using a weapon in one hand and a shield in the other, and is best off doing so" requires about 3-5 books.
>>
>>52300008
>not building an archer cleric
>>
>5etools is now a suitable replacement for the PHB, DMG, and MM
Would it be wrong to not buy the books even though I could pretty easily afford them?
>>
>>52300115
>even though I could pretty easily afford them
Support the devs, chucklefuck. The only reason I haven't bought the books myself is, shipping costs alone would banrkupt my entire country with how weak the ruble is right now.
>>
>>52300008
>playing a human in 3E
>>
>>52300115
No, fuck that.

WotC does not deserve your money. Their game is broken, their efforts beyond the PHB are either bad, broken or adaptations from better editions, and even if you gave them everything in your bank account right now you can't possibly give them more than they're already making off of the cardboard crack.
>>
>>52300115
DMG still has lots 5etools doesnt have
>>
>>52300115
>buying RPG books

For what purpose?
>>
>>52300174
Assuming I disagree with you and already like the game though, then what.
>>
>>52300206
Buy the books when you have the money.
>>
>>52300174
Fuck off, Virt.
>>
Isn't there a Yawning Portal Release before the 5th, or is that it?
>>
>>52300206
Then spend the money on ways to make the game better for your groups instead. Why buy the books when you could spend that money on things like dry eraser boards to draw maps on, or figurines to help visualize the game, or adventure paths that you can run/adapt from previous editions/games?

There is no benefit to buying the books that you already have access to when you could spend that money to make the game better for your group.

And if you don't have a group, then there's no reason to invest that much money into a set of books when you'll get no use out of them.
>>
>>52300262
Except to support the Devs and ensure more books come out he should buy he books if he has the money to do so.
>>
>rolled 8,9,12,15,5,10
Fucking help.
Stats not necessarily in order.
>>
>>52300288
Except books are irrelevant now.

Homebrews for adventure paths, UAs for content updates or reworks, ect. They're going to do that no matter what, because they're subsidized by Magic and they'll never let DnD die, because that means giving up the RP market to PF, which they would never, ever do.
>>
>>52298463
This, and I also worry about
>>52298567
This, even though I haven't looked too closely at the wizard archetypes in particular (picking new spells is not an exciting replacement for class features to me, so I'm not much interested in wizards period)
If there were more archetypes that functioned as effective multiclasses that did not, at the same time, progress faster than the core classes at their primary features (which is what I understand theurge wizz does) I'd be super happy.

Also, since somebody mentioned sorcerers, I think a neat rework for sorcerer would be something in line with the mystic ua, where you build up spells and specialize them on the fly with class resources.
>>
Except, wheeling your tracks was not a cunt. Shackle you boat checks or you might get vatium'd another meme.
>>
>>52300308
Ask if you can go standard array.
Also race/class?
>>
>>52300308
Ask your DM to use Standard Array.
>>
Are all effects of Prestidigitation only active for up to an hour? So campfires snuffed out relight themselves and clean clothes become dirty after times up?
>>
>>52300309
So fucking what? You still buy the books to support the devs, I only got a PHB for my players, and a few sets of dice, but I still put money towards the hobby, and the developers of the game, if you don't, you're an asshole and don't deserve the game at all.
>>
>>52300308
Moon Druid.
>>
>>52300342
>>52300343
DM said letting me use the standard array after rolling would be pointless because it would mean letting us roll only to see if our stats could be better than the standard array. Says I should accept the consequences of my actions for not choosing point buy like the others.

Race/class undecided.
>>
>>52300377
>rolling when pointbuy's available
guess you're a fuckin moon druid now son
>>
>>52298843
just give me fucking mind flayers, please.
>>
>>52300377
Go Mountain Dwarf for the +2s to STR and CON, you'll need it. No DC based spells if you become a spellcaster, and if you are, then be a Rogue. Put the 12 and 15 into DEX and CON respectively, put the 5 and 8 into STR and CHA, 10 and 9 into WIS and INT.
>>
>>52300377
Then ask for a reroll or play a slightly stupid and uncharismatic fighter 15 Str 9 Dex 12 Con 8int 10 Wis 5 Cha
>>
>>52300367
Except sometimes you don't want to support the devs because they did a bad job, but you still need to play because your friends play the most popular edition.

Always supporting devs means they'll never learn from their mistakes. And this has a lot of mistakes, more than any Errata is going to fix.
>>
>>52300352

How I see it if it were a constant. Say a raging fire could be held off in one area for a while. And some shit like that.
>>
>>52298508
First of all, I super appreciate the BOC love you're showing. I've got a tattoo of their logo and it's nice to see other fans about.
Second, I'm sure you know the flaming telepaths/psychic wars songs (maybe the whole album?) were created for a discarded segment of the heavy metal movie, so that's a place to start. I've been thinking on incorporating the same stuff for my campaign, but not too hard because we're not anywhere near where it would come into play.
I plan on taking my group into space once they're finished with the current half (island hopping as pirates to help a dragon take down an elder god) and one of the planets they would visit would be a battlefield of a war of psychics, once a cold war that went hot. They'd probably be responding to a strange distress call and find the sole survivor, cursed with second sight- basically extremely hefty survivors guilt, constantly thinking back on certain aspects of the battle/war, and thinking of all the things he could have done differently to avoid wiping out billions of people. Ruined flaming landscape, remains of strange architecture, the interesting stuff for the party would be piecing together the context of the battle from the environment and the survivors ramblings, combat would be creatures/hazards fr leftover psychic energy or else the survivor manifests these key moments and the party fights through his memories made real. Ideally with the party's involvement, the memories will go a different direction from reality and the survivor's guilt will be eased.
>>
Anywhere where I can read up on similar content in Ed Greenwood Presents Elminster's Forgotten Realms? I'm looking to set my game in the Forgotten Realms but I know next to nothing on it.
>>
How many of you use the existing gods, archdemons, and archdevils in the book in your campaigns?

How many of you modify existing material, even if it's just a namechange at the least?
>>
>>52298651
If he likes the build, who cares.
Does he always act the same too? That would get stale fast, but it's a different problem.
>>
>>52300448
You have to go back.
>>52298467
>>
>>52300448
It has some mistakes but not many, and if your friends only play whats popular you have shit friends or at least friends with shit taste, 5e is better than pretty much everything that has come before under the D&D name, with the possible exception of everything before 3e, It's got tighter, easier to understand design, allows refluffing to hit the concept you wanted to play right in the fucking rules, not because its shit, but because people don't always want to play whats in the fucking books, the overwhelming amount of shit on Dandwiki for all D20 games including PF, is evidence that I'm not wrong here.
>>
>>52300531
I just like to add details. Not really modify much.
>>
>>52300448
>but you still need to play because your friends play the most popular edition.
>you need to play
wrong
>>
>>52300531
I like gods as setting specific and archfiends as less powerful but largely universal.
>>
>>52298805
Your opinion is your opinion and all that, but I have a friend who has actually just played the same character in every adventurer. He's a plain old human fighter who talks in a drawl and dual wields. We try and make our stories around him, liking putting him in the spotlight to make stupid decisions and stuff. His character is just an adventurer making money, and having a permamnet straight man and central group anchor allows a lot of freedom for everyone else. For good improv, you need to have established boundaries and emotions for characters to associate with. When the human fighter mentions he don't much appreciate the dueragar, we suddenly have a three-way battle between us, him, and the dragon we were battling before. But it's all a matter of preference.
>>
File: jerk-off-crystal-craigslist.jpg (120KB, 468x506px) Image search: [Google]
jerk-off-crystal-craigslist.jpg
120KB, 468x506px
The party of three I'm about to DM for doesn't have anyone who can heal anyone else(they picked Warlock, Rogue, and Barbarian) so I was planning to give them each a small magic item to keep them from being just worn down. The idea was that when the party expends hit dice during a short or long rest, provided they're together, the rolled healing is also stored in the crystals, up to either a max of 12 or 15, to be healed outside of combat.

My question is this: Is this too good of an item? I was planning to give each of them one, but I could also just raise the max stored and just give one out.

Pic related, it was the inspiration for the item.
>>
>>52299701
Eh, I guess that could be fun. I'll write something up. Zany can be good.
>>
>>52300512
Swod Coast Adventurer's Guide is your best bet. Volo's Guide to Monsters also has some lore on the setting.

Also google. A lot of google.
>>
>>52298805
Accusing people of social ineptitude, when you're the one who is so fucking infuriated by badwrongfun that he roleplays "wrong?"
>>
>>52300592
They can always use their hit die... If you are worried about their in combat in healing you could give them healing potions that refill as one of their magical items.
>>
>>52299022
Like a Eldritch Spear/Repelling Blast + Spell Sniper?
>>
>>52299012
Doesn't power word kill do that? Honest question.
>>
File: archer “girl”.jpg (15KB, 270x250px) Image search: [Google]
archer “girl”.jpg
15KB, 270x250px
>>52298738
Because you are eternally young and can entertain yourself even and especially if no one else is around?
>>
>>52298681
Here are some not-fleshed-out ideas
>a crossbow with no disadv. At long ranges
>a crossbow that takes a bonus action to set up on a tripod/whatever, and gets a bonus to hit but you can't move with it
>a crossbow that shoots two bolts at once
>a crossbow that has a magazine of bolts, loading property only comes in every ten shots
>ricochet bolts, if you miss but only by a short margin you make another attack roll against an adjacent target
>a heavy crossbow, but is lightweight. One-hand it or something. Maybe you can attach stuff to it like wands or lanterns. Or hell, a crossbow that shoots wands
>a crossbow that is +3 against apples
>a versatile dagger that puts it's damage die and sneak attack dice up one step
>an invisible dagger for smugglin
>a dagger with something interesting in the hilt- a gun, a vial of useful liquid, a demon
>a dagger that always hits directly above somebody's head when thrown- good for intimidation
>a Swiss army dagger- has 1d6 other small tools attached to it that are undefined until the rogue says "I bet I have (blank) on my knife" and then he writes what the tool is in one of the slots
>a dagger on the end of a chain
>>
>>52300663
Disintegrate does the job.
>>
>>52298751

Why not just pick a premade campaign in its entirety then eh?
>>
File: halphas.jpg (25KB, 632x640px) Image search: [Google]
halphas.jpg
25KB, 632x640px
>>52300531
We usually just do a "the greek/norse/egyptian/etc. gods are real" approach to the world. It's easier that way, since you don't have to learn any new pantheons and we don't care much about D&D lore.
For demons and devils I usually just take from Goetia and a few others like Beelzebub and such
>>
>>52300619
I really liked the text in Volo's Guide. I'm starting to check out Sword Coast's.
>>
>>52299934
>tfw your dm says that not specifying that you restocked your quiver with 3 arrows means you didn't do that

Yeah, but I haven't forgotten to eat or take a shit either.
>>
>>52298464

Group character creation. The more people are looped in from the get-go the less they feel the need to stick to self-contained generalist builds.
>>
>>52300592
I just gave my party an estus flask. 5 uses, 2d4+4 hp (will probably let them "upgrade" it at some point) refills when they take a long rest near a campfire.
>>
>>52300260
There's a roll20 release this week.
>>
good night /tg/
>>
>>52300563
Man the DnD cosmology makes little to no sense anyway do what you want. For some reason there are new gods for each planet or something all of them god-like in power. But even with that many gods, the much less powerful demons stand a shot at overrunning all of creation.

That dont make no sense.
>>
>>52300260
It releases physically in WPN stores on the 24th, alongside Roll20 and Fantasy Grounds.
>>
>>52300377
Moon druid really only needs WIS, go human variant for the concentration feat and you're set
>>
File: 1480609775912.jpg (44KB, 708x708px) Image search: [Google]
1480609775912.jpg
44KB, 708x708px
>>52298970
>come up with a strategy to defeat one of the most powerful beings, because they can't be defeated in standard direct combat
>call it cheesing and say you shouldn't be able to cheese them either
>you can only do it in this weird specific way I came up with that probably involves an ancient rock that weakens them
>>
>>52300308
Top fucking keke

Take 5 con and see how long your character can make it, then reroll when it dies.
>>
>>52300810
Theres a limited number of Gods, there are an infinite number of demons, and the Abyss is infinite as well. Demogorgon is the prince of the deepest layer any living person has been to and lived to tell the tale, there are deeper layers, nobody who has gone to them has come back.
>>
>>52300881
On one hand you're mostly right, on the other hand you can totally kill anything currently statted in 5e relatively easy in direct combat if you optimize enough.

I'd wager that 5 well optimized level 5 fighters would have a decent chance at killing most Demon Lords if given magic weapons to deal with the immunity to non-magical slashing/piercing/bludgeoning thing.
>>
>>52300917
>On one hand you're mostly right, on the other hand you can totally kill anything currently statted in 5e relatively easy in direct combat if you optimize enough.
Not in Tome of Beasts. Those fuckin 3.5 statblocks coupled with a monkey's understanding of CR is straight up murder
>>
>>52298500

They've got a niche in 5e but I don't think it's the novice weapon so much as the "generic" weapon. It has the finesse, light, and thrown properties while still being a simple melee weapon for 2gp and 1lb, but it does about the same damage as an improvised weapon.

In short, it's about everything you'd want for a generic knife in a setting where pretty much everyone would have a generic knife or two on them most of the time. One of many items that are there because the average village would have dozens of them laying around even if the average adventurer upgrades to something better on day one. My players do keep a literal bucket of them back on the cart for strategic backup weapon purposes since they can pretty much serve as a placeholder weapon for everybody.
>>
I'm looking for DMing advice, pretty new to the whole thing.

I'm currently running a published campaign that's getting near to its end and I've been thinking I want to try running a game in a homebrew world next.

I've heard the advice that at the very least everything in the PHB should have some place in most DnD settings. Thing is, I don't really have much interest in including tieflings or dragonborn, and I don't really know what to do with gnomes or drow either. I am also probably going to allow some of the Volo's Guide races, so it wouldn't just be a world populated by the tolkien races.

Basically, my question is: Is it bad practice to disallow standard options pretty much just because I don't care for them? If I do opt to exclude them, should I come up with some mechanically-similar alternatives to replace them with?
>>
>>52300917
I'm pretty sure Orcus alone could just summon 5 demiliches that kill the fighters while he sips a martini
>>
>>52298553

Welcome to everyone's favorite /tg/ game: is this anon drunk, having a stroke, or off their meds?
>>
>>52298561

Seconded.
>>
>>52298616

NARP.
>>
>>52300978
Orcus probably drinks vodka straight
>>
>>52300977

Do what you want; it's your game. Let your players decide if they want to behave like adults.
>>
>>52300978
Orcus is one of the most concerning ones, yes. One like Baphomet though would theoretically be reasonably killable.
>>
>>52300977
Ask your players is the best answers. If they don't mind possibly not being able to play and or finding those races in the world then you are AOK. If they do work out why and how you can compromise with them.
>>
>>52298682

Brawler does need to happen. I don't think the Monk class is bad but it seems very, very tied into Taoist Warrior-Sage mythology. There needs to be a class or an archetype for guys who are just really good at torque and aiming for weak spots.
>>
>>52298430
rate the classes based on prefernce. I'm being vague as fuck, just how much you like having them in your game or playing them or the design of them etc

best to worst
>barbarian
>wizard
>cleric
>rogue
>fighter
>paladin
>ranger
>bard
>druid
>warlock
>monk
>sorceror
>>
>>52300977
As long as you give them plenty of notice why would they care? You can even introduce the setting In half a session and spend the other half helping them get their characters started.
>"Hey DM I wanna play like a gladiator or something where the gladiators at?"
>"Yo DM I want my dude to be from a race full of pretty niggas"
>"Are there any spells or abilities off limits too?"
>>
>>52301067
single class or factoring in multiclass potential?
>>
>>52300917
Bullshit.

Zuggtmoy can open up with charm spores. Everyone must make a DC 19 Wis save or they flat out lose, can't hurt her for 24 hours and can be made to take hits for her, attack each other, etc.

If nothing else, 168 DPR will take care of them in no time flat.

Yeenoghu can open up with Fear. Whoever is left over has to contend with 165 DPR and two saves a round, one vs confuse, one vs paralysis. He can travel invisibly at all times.

Orcus wins. Period.
>>
>>52299243

Some people don't handle change well. This is a hobby where progress is powered by autistic screeching.
>>
>>52301112
I agree, autistic screeching caused the paladin rework
>>
File: 1484184433698.gif (809KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1484184433698.gif
809KB, 500x281px
>>52301111
>automatically assuming enemies win initiative
>not knowing how much damage truly optimized characters can put out
>>
>>52299334

I think it's still too many unanswered questions about TALON, the nature of his injury and recovery, and his motivations to know for sure. It might be a while before we can really feel confident about who's on teams and why when it comes to TALON/Blackwatch
>>
>look up DM on Facebook
>Left wing groups,lots of LGBT groups, pictures from trip to South America
>Every post is about socialism
>Look up only player I could find
>First post is about his support for the Trump Wall.
>In hate groups, as well as a MLP group

Well that game was fun while it lasted.
>>
>>52299624

Library meeting rooms are usually either free or dirt cheap and library patrons tend to run geeky to begin with. Also, easy access to printers/copy machines.
>>
>>52301157

If someone win inits against Yeenoghu, he's still invisible.

If someone wins inits against Zuggtmoy, she's still ethereal.

And of course, Orcus wins.
>>
>>52301157
>damage
lol what are you a fucking accountant?
>>
>>52301157
>not knowing how much damage truly optimized characters can put out

Not nearly enough, in this case.
>>
File: player 3 has joined the game.gif (2MB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
player 3 has joined the game.gif
2MB, 320x180px
>>52298430
I did a quick-and-dirty houserule for a section where a character did a fencing match to first blood (opposed rolls made using attack rolls and initiative as their bonus; winner has a chance to strike at AC, and the first to do damage won the duel), and my players--a couple of whom, along with myself, do HEMA--found it pretty engaging and in keeping with 5e's simple and fun style.

I'm curious how you guys would do specific kinds of combat contests (fencing duels, jousts, gladiatorial matches, etc.) that might well come with their own custom fast-and-loose-ish houserules.

I'm thinking jousts might start with Riding rolls, and whoever does well enough gets a chance to hit the other guy; I'm not quite sure how to do whether or not one soaks up the roll well or is dishorsed, however, or where one is hit for those tilts that count points depending on the where. And I imagine that gladiatorial matches would include Perform somehow--and maybe borrow from my fencing thing above--but am not so sure if anything else would even need to be added.`
>>
Why is it that whenever there's something broken or minmaxed, Druids always seem to be involved?
>>
How much can a Lizardfolk emotionally develop? If they were raised by Humans for instance would they adapt for that?
>>
>>52301286
because dominating via multiclassing UAshit isn't clever, just retarded.
>>
>>52300008

As a recovering 3.PFag I think 5e actually has more viable options than 3.PF did. There's less buttons to push but it's easier to make a variety of playable builds and a given build is much more likely to be playable, outside of a few "here there be dragons" archetypes.

I'd rather have 6 true choices that are different and viable than 200 but only 4 :right: answers.
>>
>>52301301
Druid is the strongest class in the PHB, no Unearthed Arcana.
>>
File: 1456170440660.jpg (9KB, 184x184px) Image search: [Google]
1456170440660.jpg
9KB, 184x184px
When will we get a 5e videogame?
>>
>>52301248
Jousting I'd probably do ride to give a bonus/negative to attack.
Attack as per normal. Flat AC, as everyone is wearing a set of jousting armour or something, maybe.
To make it last a little longer you can add something like if they hit a riding check to see how well you take it. Above x (18, 19, 20 maybe) you're fine, you shifted to where you were able to make the lance just slide off, under x the opponent broke their lance and got a point. Nat 1 unhorsed and automatically lose.
>>
>>52298681

It's difficult to think of magical effects that aren't covered/eclipsed by the Crossbow Expert or Sharpshooter feats.

>Crossbow of the Adder: Any crossbow. As a bonus action, you can make a single ranged attack with this weapon, ignoring the Loading property.

>Balinor's Bantam Ballista: A heavy crossbow. Once per day, you may choose to make a single special ranged attack with this weapon. This attack will deal an additional 3d10 damage, or an additional 6d10 damage if the attack is directed against a construct, fortification, or vehicle.

>The Catburglar's Claw: This hand crossbow fires a bolt that will embed itself into any nonliving object, and remains connected to the crossbow by a silver thread. As a bonus action, the wielder can cause the thread to retract into the crossbow, moving the wielder closer to the target at a speed of 30' per round. If the target is a wall or is heavier than the wielder, the wielder will move toward the target. If the target is lighter than the wielder, the target will be dragged toward the wielder. The user may magically dismiss the bolt and thread as a bonus action, in which case they disappear and the crossbow magically reloads.

>The Trollbow: This heavy crossbow is so powerful that the bolts it fires often vaporize under the sheer force used to propel them, turning into a deadly rain of shrapnel. As an action, the wielder may choose to fire a single bolt in this manner, dealing 2d10 damage to every enemy within a 20' cone originating at the wielder (half damage with a successful dexterity saving throw).
>>
>>52300028

It works well enough. Back-line Clerics want Dex. You should pack a backup physical weapon in case something can shrug off your damage cantrip Bob's your uncle.
>>
>>52300228

Seconded.
>>
>>52300308

Play with a DM who isn't an idiot.
>>
>>52300325

Are you having a stroke?
>>
>>52300028
What's the best way to do this? I have a feeling it's as simple as War Cleric, Longbow and Half-Plate but I feel like there's other ways.
>>
>>52301359
They're probably the designated endurance class, though paladins are much more important. Though >>52301286 has nothing to do with it, unless he's still butthurt about Moon druids, but that's about it.
>>
>>52301248
I've made up rules for a wide variety of carnival games/chuck E cheese type games that I'll use at some point in the future for my group. Mostly ability checks, stuff like that. The actual fun part was writing ways to cheat at all the games, including sleight of hand to pull extra tickets out of the dispensers, or else tearing the machines apart to take whole rolls of tickets (the context here being, they're looking for a specific item in a tomb- but it's gone and in its place is an advertisement for a trap-gauntlet. They get a menial amount of tickets for making it through to turn in for "prizes", one of which being the item they're looking for, worth a huge amount)
>>
>>52300531

I'm pretty much embrace-and-extend. I start with the books to get the broad outlines and then start adding details to fit my setting.
>>
>>52300591

You. You get it. Good job.
>>
>>52301111
>party passes all saves thanks to paladin aura
>beats the demon lord into submission with divine smites
Pretty much what happened in my OotA campaign.
>>
>>52301529

Yes, a party that comprises 5 level 5 fighters definitely has a level 7 paladin!
>>
>>52300659
Add frost spear too and 200ft move speed from phantom steed.
>>
>>52298509
I've played Shackles of Blood (DDEX 3-2) in AL recently and it was pretty good. It actually offers the players some choices unlike most adventures.
>>
alright lads

give me the gestalt on Oath of the Crown

separate question: would an oath of the crown paladin respect the law everywhere or only respect the law of his sovereign
>>
>>52300115
Please buy the books and support the game. Buy locally if you can. It costs more but supports your local hobby scene.

>>52300179
I'm going to be slowly adding more content from the PHB and DMG (including the variant rules and monster creation rules to make the CR calculator easier to use). It's slow-going because I have to copy-paste from the PDF, fix everything up, then add in HTML and compress it to a single escaped string... it's a bit of a hassle and I have shit to do like watch anime and be a piece of shit.

I'll probably look for a WYSIWYG editor that works with this, which is what I'm assuming Roll20 does (I stole the initial SRD data from their compendium). Or see if I can do put together something based on another WYSIWYG editor that'll output the strings properly.
>>
>>52301077

Doubles of truth. You can generally pitch any setting you want as long as you bring it up far enough ahead of time for people to plan around it.
>>
>>52301585
>would an oath of the crown paladin respect the law everywhere or only respect the law of his sovereign

both. Its unbelievably simple.

If they go visit the drow on a diplomatic mission, they are not going to randumbly shit on a statue of Lolth, they are going to be diplomatic.
If are sent to go fight the drow, they're not gonna put their sword away because the drow have a sign that says NO PALADINS ALLOWED
>>
How do I make Alchemist Artificer not feel like I'm throwing wet paper at enemies?
>>
>>52301132

I hope this is a false flag otherwise PaLGfags are even dumber than I thought.
>>
Can someone tell me what specifically manacles do?
I know they bind a small or medium creature yadayadayada, but how far does that go?
They apparently don't inhibit movement or speed, so do they just keep people from attacking?
>>
>>52301386
Not too shabby
>>
>>52300957
Ifor you want a laugh go open up the Tome of Beasts and look up Nithiletic Zombie.

I'll be waiting.
>>
>>52301640
They manacle your hands together.

SO manacle their hands behind their back if you want them to not attack.

Put a chain around em to an anchor point to make them restrained or use a shield.
>>
>>52301640
They do what it says in the PHB.

Meaning come up with it yourself.

That said, in mechanical terms, all it makes sense to do is prevent the use of hands - if bound behind the back that means no wielding weapons (unarmed attacks are ok), no somatic components, and extremely limited use object.
>>
>>52301248

Generally just opposed ability checks, personally. My table tends to calibrate for "roll as few dice as possible, but no less than that," though.
>>
>>52301380

Probably never. They're still working through a backlog of settings that need rebooted and the rules are calibrated for over-the-table play, not taking advantage of having an unimaginably fast calculator doing things automatically. Neither really leads to inspiring vidya.
>>
>>52301546

Arguing with an idiot is like wrestling with a pig. You both get muddy but the pig enjoys it.
>>
>>52301591

Bless you and bless your work.
>>
>>52298567
Regular Multiclassing sucks for fighters and spellcasters in 5e.

I look forward to a wide assortment of archetypes that blend classes more on par with single class power levels.

I would also be quite happy to have hybrid classes that are not archetypes at all, but brand-new classes.
>>
>>52301640

Presumably they impose either the "restrained" or "incapacitated" condition, but neither really fits. A DM might decide to adjudicate that some actions are at disadvantage or impossible depending on the exact type of manacles used and to what limbs they were applied to.
>>
>>52298430
Thoughts on a wizard wild mage, just taking the sorcerers stuff and putting it on a wizard?
>>
>>52301914
Might aswell WotC will do it sooner or later anyway.
>>
File: 1309353172801.jpg (143KB, 640x897px) Image search: [Google]
1309353172801.jpg
143KB, 640x897px
>>52301781
Define "regular multiclassing".
>>
>>52301781
multiclassing is great for martials though
it's only bad between two pure casters because it delays their spell progression
>>
>>52302035
When you take individual levels in different classes. IE the standard multiclassing rules present in this edition.
>>
anyone have any experience making a 5e paladin who wants to spec into archery?
>>
>>52302201
Ask to Smite with Ranged Weapons.
Ask if you can take Archery Fighting Style.

You won't be very good without Ranged Smites but if you can't get Archery Fighting Style, then Mariner is decent.
>>
>>52302201
They intentionally do not allow paladins to function with ranged weapons, probably in an effort to keep Rangers viable.
>>
File: 10int.png (165KB, 303x311px) Image search: [Google]
10int.png
165KB, 303x311px
>>52302201
No, because it's an awful idea. Divine Smite only works with melee weapon attacks.
>>
>>52301380
Consider how long it took Neverwinter MMO and Swords Coast Legends to come out after 4e. Probably about that long.
>>
File: Capture.png (6KB, 106x296px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
6KB, 106x296px
What's the statistical chance of this happening?
>>
>>52302338
Of what happening?

A +5 Int, +1 or +4 wis, and +3 cha? At a level 5-8?
Using what stat system?
>>
>>52302313
>>52301380
Sword Coast Legends is a 5e game. Also a giant fucking flop.
>>
>>52302356
On roll20 a red number indicates a roll of 1.
>>
>>52302361
SCL has very little connection to 5e. It was licensed before 5e came out and has no mechanical or story connections to it.

And yes, was such a huge flop that the developing studio closed after it.
>>
Is Harm the only spell that reduces something's Hitpoint max?

Also is Necromancer any good if I want to be a character focused on all Necromancy spells instead of just Animate Dead, or should I go Death Cleric?
>>
>>52302378
Nope, go Death Cleric to be sure.
>>
>>52302363
1/20 then? 5%?
Or is the implication that it was 4 in a row, which has the same odds as any other roll sequence occurring, 1/160000 or .00065%
>>
>>52302391
.000625%*

Not that the difference is significant.
>>
>>52301025
>Baphomet

A level 5 Fighter has ~49 HP.

Baphomet casts Hunters Mark and then Charges at a Fighter and does 2d10+10+4d10+1d6 for a median damage of 46. He then attacks with Heartcleaver 4d6+10+1d6 and Bite 2d8+10+1d6. The first Fighter is dead and the second is probably down or almost down.

Add in Legendary actions and all 5 Fighters are dead within 2 rounds
>>
>>52302376
Anyone here ever play the game? Looked decent but I avoided it because of the bad things I'd heard, might download it tonight and see if it deserved to flop like it did.
>>
>>52302417
Wasn't it an MMO?
>>
>>52302378
>Harm

Yep, the only spell. Plenty of monster effects do however
>>
File: 1489543306630.jpg (994KB, 1200x1734px) Image search: [Google]
1489543306630.jpg
994KB, 1200x1734px
>>52298430
>War magic
>Inspired by loremaster
Choose one, wotc.

Pic tangentially related
>>
>>52302435
Nah it was a tool set to run through random dungeons and do quests. Also had a full single player campaign with a story line and companions in it. Could be good for a few hours of drunk boredem.

>>52302438
Well that's a bitch. I guess I can still Inflict Wounds, Channel Divinity and all that good stuff as a Death Cleric.
>>
To paladin auras stack?
>>
>>52302465
From the same paladin: yes.

From different paladins: no, only use the strongest that applies.
>>
>>52302465
Identical effects always use the highest bonus.
>>
>>52302447
Harm is a 6th level Cleric spell
>>
>>52302338
How do you have +8 Arcana, +5 History and +4 Religion? That makes no sense.
>>
>>52302490
They're not all me
>>
Man Mystics are super fucking busted. I've been ok'd to play one in a campaign but the amount of shit I can do is silly
>>
>>52302591
Super fucking busted or super fucking based?
>>
Why are people defending what the demon lords can do against the players so adamantly?
>>
File: 1409860390581.jpg (288KB, 934x1248px) Image search: [Google]
1409860390581.jpg
288KB, 934x1248px
>>52302166

> 1 level of Fighter for weapon, armor/shield proficiencies, CON saves if you take it at 1st. 2 for Action Surge. 3 for Archetype.
> 1 level of Cleric for armor/shield proficiencies, 1st level domain abilities, Guidance, Healing Word, Bless. Doesn't cost spell slot progression for casters.
> 2 levels of Warlock for Hex + Eldritch Blast + Agonizing Blast + Devil's Sight/Repelling Blast/whatever else. 3 for ritual magic access and cross-class cantrips.
> 1 level of Rogue for Expertise (and 1d6 sneak attack). 2 for Cunning Action.
> 3 levels of Sorcerer for Metamagic.
> 2/3/5/6 levels of Paladin on any CHA caster.
> Fucking Bards.

Multiclassing works.
>>
>>52301591
Well if megaanon himself is telling me to buy the books I guess I'll do it.
>>
>>52302613
Because it's idiotic to say that 5 level 5 fighters have any kind of chance against a demon lord
>>
>>52302603
I mean both yea, but I'd feel bad coming in and outclassing the party cleric at healing and bringing people back from the dead and shit, outclassing the rogue at stealth, etc

like I can do Revivify without a Diamond, 5 times a day. I can do 5d10 Psychic damage on a hit, I can make myself and others invisible, I can make myself tiny and sneak about like a monster, and I can grow fucking wings for like an hour or some shit, and more

It's just a bit much, I'm totally a munchkin but whats the point of being a munchkin when my character can just do fucking everything really well with no real thought put into it
>>
>>52301067
Based purely on how powerful the class is in combat when played optimally.

Paladin
Cleric
Fighter
Ranger
Sorcerer
Wizard
Rogue
Bard
Druid
Barbarian
Warlock
Monk
>>
>>52302654
Did you forget Druid has conjure animals and more HP than god?
>>
>>52302670
I refuse to play any class which can die so easily from Disintegrate
>>
>>52302654
Wizards are known for being gods outside of combat though
>>
Does the ocean/a sea count as running water for the purpose of killing vampires? If I drop a sea on top of one, will that kill it?
>>
>>52301245
>he doesn't know about Tactical Nuclear Druid
>>
>>52302714
Nope
>>
>>52301067
Based on how well I've seen people play them.

Bard
Sorcerer
Wizard
Warlock
Druid
Cleric
Paladin
Ranger
Fighter
Rogue

Just personal experience. It sucks that Rogue and Fighter players tend to stink up the joint so often because there's a million interesting things to do with them, like any class.
>>
>>52302740
How so? oceans have currents friend.
>>
Is playing Bugbear Barbarian with Polearm Master grounds for the DM to single me out and try to kill me?
>>
>>52302651
I don't see a problem. It only strikes you as zomg fuckin supercool because its new to you.
>>
>>52302781
It's magic
>>
>>52302613

>defending

Uh, what? Nobody was defending the demon lords, nor does anyone need to defend the demon lords. If you go up against them expecting an easy win, let alone at level 5, you deserve to lose your character and I would definitely crack jokes about them losing their treasured character for years at the height of the campaign.
>>
>>52302626
Sure, there are corner cases where the class features may be worthwhile.

The sacrificed spell levels make it rather crappy for casters, and the fighter loses out a lot of attack, but what he gains from it may be worth it.

But if your goal is a type of mage, more than a dip likely will not be nearly worth the spell levels you sacrificed.

Hence, I look forward to more multiclass flavored archetypes.
>>
>>52302784
Depends, you're not lying and saying the bugbear reach applies for AoOs etc. are you?
>>
>>52302813
I can accept that but you'd still have to explain how it works.

BTW i'm not the anon who asked.
>>
>>52302781
water molecules aren't still, therefore any water a vampire comes across is instant death. drip
>>
>>52302735

Looks like you missed the "in this case," retard-san. Tell us more about how you'd build a nuclear druid, using only 5 fighter class levels and nothing else.
>>
>>52302754
>rogue
>bottom
Holy fuck get better players.
>>
>>52302832
Purity, stagnant water and ocean water aren't "clean" like river water, by its nature of flowing constantly.
>>
>>52302825

n-no.. But does the bonus backhand attack get the reach too? So far I've been playing like it doesn't since that just seems weird.
>>
>>52302872
Yes.

So yeah, you're doing nothing wrong.
>>
>>52302836
Traditionally it's holy water only that kills or rather harms them, rivers they cannot cross but there are ways around that for them, I see no reason an ocean should be different.
>>52302852
Ocean water cleans wounds, river water can and will often kill you if you're stupid enough to clean wounds with it, without boiling away the impurities, that is.
>>
>>52302852
That's not something captured in the lore, though. It just says flowing water. There's nothing that says water flowing from the sea doesn't count.
>>
>>52302879
dunno what you are expecting about a weakness based off mythology dude

I'd just simply say "natural bodies of water that are not stagnant" and leave it at that (to leave room for swamp-pires)
>>
>>52302879
>Traditionally it's holy water only that kills or rather harms them, rivers they cannot cross but there are ways around that for them, I see no reason an ocean should be different.

This is in specific reference to the monster manual, where they only die if they get sufficiently damaged in flowing water or are unable to Misty Escape back home.
>>
>>52302895
I'm not the original question asker, here>>52302714
I started here>>52302781
I'm just throwing ideas around and bouncing the off others.
>>52302898
If they Misty Escape you go and stake them and remove their fucking head for good measure, basic vampire killing, it's right there in the manual.
>>
>>52302883
It's real life lore man, D&D just reflects the common pop interpretation at its inception.
>>
>>52302879
You also can't drink ocean water, and shouldn't drink stagnant water, but river/flowing water is, typically, just fine.
>>
>>52302938
No, river water really isn't "just fine", unless you know the source, drinking it is moronic, there's an entire river in my area that's lifeless for miles all because of old mines, for instance.
>>
>>52302654
>barbarian that low
J-just make unarmored work with str
>>
>>52302916
>If they Misty Escape you go and stake them and remove their fucking head for good measure, basic vampire killing, it's right there in the manual.

True, though in this case, it's easier and a more interesting story to drop a sea on their lair than to attack them directly. Lots of spawn, lots of guards, one exit.

>>52302931
I guess, but if we're talking RAW...
>>
>>52302638
>>52302816
Why are the PCs going up against the demon lords at level 5? What the actual fuck? That's retarded.
>>
File: 1489792950575.png (177KB, 282x290px) Image search: [Google]
1489792950575.png
177KB, 282x290px
>character has a backstory about being orphaned by some asshole
>their bond is getting revenge on said asshole

Why do people do this?
>>
>>52302964
What does post-industrial era water ways have to do with the origin of vampire myths and lore?

Even now, river water is the most likely to be fine to drink.
>>
>>52302974
Yep. Can't do that shit outside of AD&D really
>>
>>52302974
Some anon argued that 5 level 5 fighters could beat a demon lord
>>
File: harmonquest.jpg (862KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
harmonquest.jpg
862KB, 1280x720px
Is HarmonQuest any good?
>>
>>52302981
Explain more? that makes no sense as it stands.
>>52302985
Have you ever learned even basic survival techniques? Rule 0 is to drink water you need to boil it, because, there is copious amounts of animal shit and piss in said water, just to start, you only drink water straight from the source spring if you can find it.
>>
>>52302999
>>52303000
The premise is so fucking retarded. Does he even know what he's talking about?
>>
>>52302981
So the DM can't have the BBEG rape their family and kill them I guess.
>>
>>52303004
Imagine if you were DM'ing an entire party of annoying chaotic neutral faggots trying to out crazy each other for half an hour.
>>
>>52303014
Fine anon, vampires can only take acid damage from water that has been boiled and sanitized recently.

(actually, casting Wall of Fire or Purify Water on a pool so the fighter can shove them in would be sorta cool)
>>
Anons? Here's a hopefully simple question... I've recently been replaying the Bioshock games - the first two, not Infinite - and rediscovering my enjoyment of the world. It's given me ideas for a similar "fallen aquatropolis" in my own setting, and that made me wonder:

If you wanted to make a Big Daddy expy species as a PC race, would you just refluff Warforged? Or do you think that they'd deserve their own racial statistics and need to be written from scratch?
>>
In my group we have 2 DMs which switch off each other and run parallel campaigns in the same world.
One of them watches Critical Roll quite a lot. I'm just wondering how their campaigns are because pretty much every encounter has been a boss battle or mini-boss and it's very heavily dependent on how our rolls go.
>>
>>52303026
BBEG

REEEE!!
>>
>>52303054
Warforged are pretty bad except in the most contrived scenarios, so yeah, I'd use something else. Probably yuan ti/winged tiefling tier on the power spectrum.
>>
>>52303037
I wasn't arguing for that but, it does sound cool, now that you mention it. No I was going off the purity angle it not being the reason for the original myths as it originated because boiling even river water has been basic safety for a very very very long time, except if you're drinking from a pure spring or a well that taps into an underground river, or aquifer.
>>
>>52303057
The worst part of critical role other than Marisha is the long ass boss fights with no twists or tactics. 9/10 it comes down just whacking away at HP.

Their most recent big fight, they were told not to kill the enemy, so they just flailed around doing nothing until Mercer let them attack individual limbs to escape.
>>
Avenger 7, Mystic 1, Fighting Style Tunnel Fighter, Giant Growth as Discipline, feat Polearm Master. Now you have reach 15 feet, you can AoOs within it with a halberd/glaive and said AoOs do not use your reaction. Twice a day, your reach can become 20 feet for a minute, and your size Large. When you hit an enemy with an AoO, you move half your speed without provoking AoOs. If you get Sentinel feat as well you can drop enemies speed to 0 with AoOs.
To be fair, a Human Variant Mystic level 1 with Polearm Feat can have reach 15 and do AoOs within his reach.
>>
>>52303082

Salt water doesn't really have the same life giving connotations, and the ocean is a lot intimidating and mysterious than a river. Just leave it up to the DM is best, but I take it to mean running fresh water.
>>
>>52303072
Oh, I know you'd need to work on an actually decent Warforged first, but still, would a race of living constructs used to tend to a city built underwater really differ that much, stats wise, from said decent Warforged stats?

And yes, I have tried my hand at homebrewing good Warforged stats. I have no idea how overpowered the results are because I can't get anyone to talk to me about them.
>>
Making a character who uses a Quarterstaff and shield.

Would you allow a player to combine them? How should I do this?

ie: a Quarterstaff that gives +2 AC when wielded with both hands instead of Versatile (And doesn't function if the other hand is full)?

I could use a shield fine but not having one fits the character's aesthetics better, so really it's just a personal preference thing, mechanically it should make no difference.
>>
File: Dolphin.png (122KB, 280x280px) Image search: [Google]
Dolphin.png
122KB, 280x280px
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/bestiary.html#Annis%20Hag

I've begun a (crude) implementation of displaying tokens on the bestiary. I will be using the Roll20 tokens as a base since their token layout is the most complete, and someone on the Discord is working on ripping the Monster Manual tokens. Consider this a very long-term project that might not be finished for quite some time, like all the little data entry busywork projects I throw on this thing.
>>
>>52303112
>I have no idea how overpowered the results are because I can't get anyone to talk to me about them.

The precedent of winged tiefling suggests it should be about "on par with a decent concentration based spell without requiring a concentration slot."

Overpowered, to a limited degree, is good with custom options like that.
>>
>>52303129
Quick formatting request, could you make it so that the drop down selection of the standard enemy types, like Fiend, include everything that is a fiend, rather than only those without a subtype. It seems odd that you need to search for the type to get an inclusive list.
>>
>>52303103
All life originally came from the ocean, I think it's why humans have always been drawn to it, but thats me, but yeah I agree with you
>>
>>52302895
>swamp-pires
>feral vampires extra susceptible to spontaneous ignition by contact to air, living below the stagnant waters of a swamp, waiting for preys to jump at them, catching fire the moment they leave water
I like it
>>
File: 1 gas spore.png (149KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
1 gas spore.png
149KB, 256x256px
>>52303129
Cool idea!
>>
>>52303142
>All life originally came from the ocean

Yeah. The mythological association with primordial darkness and chaos fits that perfectly.
>>
>>52303141
I'll add it to the list. For now you can search for things like that by searching for the base type alone (like "fiend").
>>
>>52303113
if it's just fluff sure? It would take an action to don off shield though, so that will be what it took to switch between versatile and +2 AC.
>>
>>52303113
fluff shield as gauntlet?
>>
>>52303173
Yeah that's about how I was gonna do it, just fluff it as taking a defensive stance with both hands.
>>
>>52303164
I know, if and when I create my own setting thats gonna be the domain of the chief deity, Where life began, so did divinity.
>>
>>52303129
One last note before I'm off for the night: I've only got the majority of the tokens from VGM in right now. I'll add more at a later date.

Also: I'm missing some VGM tokens. There's an orc token, different Xvart tokens (if they exist), grung wildling, giant strider... you can go through and look for duplicates/empty tokens in the VGM entries for more info if you have VGM on Roll20.
>>
>>52303181
Just make it clear that it's a unique style of fighting with the weapon, and not a property of the weapon itself.

Bonus points if they come across other practitioners from time to time.
>>
>>52303180
That's an option too, but in this case I think it's fairer to assume that both hands have to be full, and their gauntlet isn't really beefy enough to be used as a full shield/not let you use that hand for holding stuff
>>
What happens if a creature's immune or resistant to a damage type and vulnerable at the same time?

I'm specifically wondering about creatures immune or resistant to Necrotic while in the area of Hallow with the Energy Vulnerability option.
>>
>>52303273
Resistant and vulnerable: takes the same amount of damage.

Immune and vulnerable: takes no damage. You can't double something set to 0.
>>
On a scale of 1/cancer how much would I deserve to be kicked in the nads if I went Fighter 2/Undying Light Warlock 2/Shadow Sorcerer X?
>>
>>52303291
That's what I thought but I wanted to check there wasn't a specific rule about it.

>>52303294
I hope you get cancer.
>>
>>52303273
Resistance and then vulnerability is applied

Monster is resistant to necrotic and enters field which gives vulnerability

Takes 10 necrotic. Resistance makes it 5 and then vulnerability makes it 10

Funnily enough, since you round up, lets say the monster takes 13 necrotic. Resistance makes it 7 and then vulnerability makes it 14
>>
File: shadow-bot.png (2MB, 2000x1194px) Image search: [Google]
shadow-bot.png
2MB, 2000x1194px
>>52303296
But muh super-edgy shadow man.

Yeah as much as I'd like to play it that's going clear off the deep end of imbalanced bullshit.
>>
>>52303316
>since you round up
5e is "round down unless stated otherwise."
>>
>>52303294
As much as humanly possible, and your DM would deserve it too for allowing you to use that cancerous build.
>>
>>52303294
what's wrong with this build?

please, someone give me the gestalt on it
>>
>>52303324
Mind blown

Very well, resistance and then vulnerability means you take less damage than just vulnerability
>>
File: SpellAreas.jpg (119KB, 350x969px) Image search: [Google]
SpellAreas.jpg
119KB, 350x969px
Is this the best way to go about spell AoE on grids? Our table just graduated from theatre of the mind to grid and I'm still getting used to adjudicating our casters' spell ranges and areas. In the picture I'm still unsure how the first example of the 15-foot cone manage to be 5-feet further around the middle for example which makes me wonder why that's the case.
>>
>>52303294
>>52303296

Huh, I really like the idea of a super edgy dude of light and darkness.
>>
>>52303346
whats with those lines
>>
>>52303319
How so?
>>
>>52303359

I think it's assuming if the target is not directly in front of the caster.
>>
>>52303346
That is explicitly wrong for cones. Cones are ALWAYS the same width as they are long, at all points. The only correct one in the image is the very first one, top left.
>>
>>52303339
>>52303360
>Fighter 2, Action Surge, Armor, and Close Quarters Shooter (Which works for Eldritch Blast)

>Undying Light Warlock 2, "You have resistance to radiant damage, and when you cast a spell that deals radiant damage or fire damage, you add your Charisma modifier to that damage. Additionally, you know the sacred flame and light cantrips and can cast them at will. They don't count against your number of cantrips known."
as well as Eldritch Blast with the Agonizing and Repelling Blast invocations

>Shadow Sorcerer- See https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/classes.html#Sorcerer,Shadow%20(UA)
>Take Quickened Spell as a Metamagic option

>At 11th level, after Hexing your target, Quicken Action Surge Eldritch Blast to swing for 9d10+25 damage, potentially knocking them back up to 90 feet

The real issue isn't that though since any Fighty Sorlock can do it, it's that Shadow Sorc is broken on it's own since one of it's main abilities is "lol I don't feel like dying EVER", made even worse by the fact that you've got swole armor and resistance to one of your only "weaknesses".
>>
>>52303390
Oh, and I forgot the Hex damage.

So that'd be 9d10+25 Force+9d6 Necrotic.
>>
>>52303369
They also aren't the correct lengths, and don't hit equal numbers of squares.
>>
>>52303390
>potentially hitting someone something so hard they go flying back almost 100ft

are there any mechanics for bursting through walls like the kool aid man?
>>
>>52303390
Looking at Shadow Sorcerer, class looks ridonkulous from level two. Two free Darkness spells with inbuilt Devil's Sight, PLUS hard to take down. Tempted to multiclass into it just for that.
>>
File: 1308009766619.jpg (322KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
1308009766619.jpg
322KB, 700x700px
>>52303390
Since you're being allowed UAs in this scenario, do 3 levels of Tome Undying Light for Shillelagh, and 6 levels of Draconic for Elemental Affinity.

Keyed entirely off Charisma, your Green-Flame Blade does 3d8+15, with a secondary hit of 2d8+10, and can be Quickened. Elemental Adept to get past resistances and treat 1s as 2s.
>>
>>52303360
>Multiclassing UA
Is it not obvious? You're combining multiple playtest materials together.
>>
So... is anything about the Tiamat campaign worth salvaging? I've been thinking about doing a 2e Council of Wyrms game, and first running a 5e campaign that would set the stage for it.
>>
>>52303390
So it's not the Sorclock damage, but the survivability that bothers you?
At lvl 11 he'll have what, a +7 save? You'll have to waste a couple more attacks to bring him down, but that save is going to fail. Not to mention, once he's on 1 hp he can resist all the radiant damage he wants, a plink is enough to bring him down.
That combo only begets hubris, and why are you so bent on killing your players?
>>
>>52303132
Well, if you're willing to risk it, you can check 'em out in here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XovWm65MSmIzQWSMDMXo0_aIpZgq9YSa2KkpO3kThS4/edit#
>>
>>52303560
Looks really interesting, probably too indepth for me though.
>>
>>52301067
just my favorite overall

wizard
paladin
druid
fighter
ranger
warlock
barbarian
cleric
sorcerer
rogue
monk
bard
>>
>>52303534
Come on, Sorlocks aren't that balanced to begin with.
UA only brings an 'hard to kill' angle to it.
>>
File: monks_are_gay.png (345KB, 3360x3920px) Image search: [Google]
monks_are_gay.png
345KB, 3360x3920px
>>
>>52303557
>killing your players
Nah this is for me to (never) play.
>>
>>52303609
Gains points for the the rationing mechanic of Street Technique is clever. Probably overpowered.
Loses points for having a number of things ripped off from the monk.
Loses points for using skill checks instead of saving throws to defend.
Gets points for Street Wise just being a proficiency bonus is interesting, though definitely overpowered.
>>
>>52303625
Ideas?
>>
File: monks_are_gay.png (109KB, 3256x1096px) Image search: [Google]
monks_are_gay.png
109KB, 3256x1096px
>>52303625
After level 5 I guess there are no more levels
>>
>>52303644
Although it'd still be VERY strong I'd suggest the maneuvers being invalidated by seeing them used in the same encounter, not just having them be used on you. Essentially, think battlemaster or open hand monk who can use all their maneuvers once per encounter without a short rest. They should probably use saving throws to resist.

Street Wise should probably just use proficiency OR light armor. Its a matter of him having possible AC 17 or 15 at level 1; but also, keep in mind the proficiency bonus scales independently of stats.
Him using strength instead of dex, of course, counterbalances this somewhat. On the other hand, monk wants dex/wis/con, street fighter wants str/dex/con.
>>
>>52303690
Forgot to post theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uxJxMjz3Io
>>
>>52303690
>>52303609
>>52303702

I think there could be some sort of synergy with Tavern Brawler. What about simply letting you add proficiency to damage on unarmed attacks, and treating you as always armed with improvised weaponry? May need to tweak the wording, but the intent is to disallow combination with Martial Arts.

This would make Tavern Brawler the GWM/PAM for the class -- a no brainer, sure, but it would compensate for no flurry of blows/bonus attack and give it scaling damage similar to the monks. But also, it would keep it from having monk ripoff abilities.

It'd be cheesy, and pigeonhole it into grappling, but you may feel like giving it expertise so you don't have to multiclass.

Save DCs equal to attack rolls are bananas. 8+Str mod + proficiency bonus should do the trick -- and yeah, it does give them a nice little minor bonus to have their attack and damage stat their DC.
>>
about time to make a new general
>>
>>52301591
You are a hero
>>
File: monks_are_gay.png (1MB, 3360x4728px) Image search: [Google]
monks_are_gay.png
1MB, 3360x4728px
>>52303708
>>52303735
>>52303702
>>52303625
Thanks, did most of the changes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uxJxMjz3Io
>>
>>52298818
Well he is a tabletop gay-mer.
>>
>>52300308

I reccomend going human or half-elf to mend those stats.
>>
File: 1 Kobold Scale Sorcerer.png (141KB, 280x280px) Image search: [Google]
1 Kobold Scale Sorcerer.png
141KB, 280x280px
>>52303129
What is the program used for making these cool golden tokens?
>>
>>52302626
Nowdays 3 levels of Lock for smite is really good on a full caster.
Thread posts: 419
Thread images: 55

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.