[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Brett, skip this thread. So I am getting ready to run an Avatar

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: mqdefault.jpg (8KB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
mqdefault.jpg
8KB, 320x180px
Brett, skip this thread.

So I am getting ready to run an Avatar TLA/LOK game set in the years right before Aang died and carrying through Korra. I'm planning on it being a divergent timeline game.

The players are going to start likely in Republic City unless there is a weighed bender type in the party which might result in the group of four people starting in the group majorities kingdom.

The system is a D20 homebrew that uses stats and skills, but nothing else. Its a system that I'm hoping will help capture the feel of bending and the setting.

What I'm here for is any neat alt timeline ideas, things you didn't like about the show, ect? I had a few thoughts about the initial setting, while I'll go into more detail about in the morning. Bit plot points will involve large tension between the fire and earth kingdoms. Civil war, bandits, and pirates in the earth kingdom. Water nation raids on islands the fire nation seized but never relinquished, and general world tension. It will likely also involve large timeskips and the order of the white lotus in addition to a couple shadow organizations I've fiddled around with.

Thoughts, ideas, opinions?
>>
>>52286287
>Brett, skip this thread.
YOU CANT TELL ME WHAT TO DO
>>
>>52286287
I felt that the show was trying (but failing) to explore the ideas of different forms of government systems.

Republic city is a democracy. Equalists were using communist imagery. Unalok was trying for a traditional tribal/theocracy thing. Red Lotus are extreme anarchists. The Earth Kingdom was a Monarchy. And then there's the Fascists from last season.

It'd have been very interesting to see these groups interact with each other, see how they shape the beliefs of the characters on the show and how Republic City itself ends up being shaped by their ideals.

Not especially useful for your timeline, but it's a thought.
>>
>>52286287
Personally I'm kind of interested in the gangs. They were kind of skipped over, and could've had a bigger part. Would work especially well with probending, sporting corruption and what not, but you could have it be a solely gang experience.
>>
>>52286287
I think you should incorporate the assassination of the Empress. The division of the Earth kingdom into several territories and an age of chaos has a lot of potential for adventures. They can use Republic city as their hub to return to, the civilization.
>>
>>52286339
Wrong Brett, fucking Bretts.
>>52286349
For certain values I agree with you. There is also the overarching league of nations via the united forces. I think I'll play this up with the PCs in character development, try and get them to care a bit about a form of government over the other.
More than anything though, it IS an alt timeline game and the pcs will be running around with no avatar for most of it, so them shaping republic city is totally in the cards if they set their time to it. I'm a big sandbox heavy kinda gm.

>>52286371
Oh man, I'm so behind you on that. I had almost forgotten about them. The Triads will probably each try and reach out to the members of the party, assuming compatibility. The pcs will be the right age to get in on it to. Thanks for mentioning it.

>>52289981
Assuming that it still happens, by that point the pcs will be in their 30s, since its gonna be a good deal of sandbox they might have changed things so much by then that the assassination may not happen.
>>
>>52289981
This is actually the setting I'm using for my Avatar conversion of Edge of the Empire. "Avatar: The Second Age" takes place immediately subsequent to the events of Season 3 of Korra....I felt this is a good timeline due to the chaos in the Earth Kingdom, the resurgence of new air benders thanks to the spirit portals, and especially due to the fact that Korra is MIA for 3 years leading up to Season 4.
>>
>>52291529
The assassination only happens, IMO, because Zaheer escapes thanks to airbending and because the queen intended to double-cross Zaheer in transferring custody of avatar Korra.

No Korra = no transfer and very likely no opening of spirit portals and thus no airbending Zaheer.
>>
>>52294001
I don't disagree, while I'm def not anti-korra I suppose events might unfold that negate her ever becoming the avatar. Assuming she is still avatar events could unfold that cause all kinds of changes to her timeline from her never meeting mako and Colin due to their parents not dieing to there being later are air bending instructors
>>
>>52294001
>No Korra = no transfer and very likely no opening of spirit portals and thus no airbending Zaheer.

I like Zaheer and the Red Lotus enough that I'd say the convergence alone was enough to kickstart air bending returning.
>>
>>52295810
Well even without Korra the event will still happen, it will just be a matter of if it isn't Korra, how resilient the new avatar will be to manipulation, and if it is Korra, if she follows a similar path.

I will need to be plotting out the ramifications of the parties actions week to week and have a cannon timeline vs my stories timeline running against one and other. Whiteboard ho.
>>
So to clarify a bit more on the settings timeline divergence. I have already nailed down a few big points for my story.

Aang had waay more children.
While he stayed married to Katara he will have had a lot of children with other women in the hopes of siring additional air nomads. Most of these children ended up going and training with him. A few struck out on their own, or extenuating circumstances beyond Aang's control resulted in them never getting to him.

Amon is not going to be Noatak, nor will he be Tarrlock's brother. Instead Noatak and Tarrlock will be independant players on the republic city stage, Noatak being a crime lord leading a deep underground anti-bender syndicate and Tarrlock still being a politician. Amon is still going to lead the equalists, but actually be a normal guy who was gifted with anti-bending powers.

Sokka will likely be a character the party interacts with a lot. Old man Sokka will die closer to 170ag and will hopefully have some weight with the party.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.