[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm going to be running the Tomb of Horrors for a group

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: Untitled.png (480KB, 640x467px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
480KB, 640x467px
I'm going to be running the Tomb of Horrors for a group of friends tomorrow, and something about the place doesn't make sense. Room nine, with the secret doors

Finding each secret door in each area marked on the map is relatively easy with a DC 25 Search check.
However, each secret door is marked on the map by a letter indicating the unique method where by the door is opened. Each method differs from that of the previous door.
The various secret doors open as follows:
A. Pull down.
B. Pivots centrally.
C. Pull inward and up at bottom.
D. Slides up.
E. Double panels pull inward.
F. Slide left.
G. Seven studs—press all and door opens; 1 and 7 trigger a swinging door trap (which also opens the door).

I assume by the letters they are referring to A through G, but how are you supposed to figure out "Slides up" from the letter D?
>>
>>52281004
You reach into the ground/a hidden handle and slide it up
>>
>>52281113
I guess I should have been more clear, I don't see how you're able to extrapolate the method for each door from the letter. I am in dire need of explanation.
>>
>>52281152
The players are going to have to use trial and error. The letters are just for your convenience in DMing.
>>
>>52281281
Well then, I suppose I thought that trial and error were a bit harsh. The last door is going to be murder.
Oh well, they have plenty of hit dice.
>>
>>52281350
Players can always start burning Dimension Doors or Disintegrates, but yeah, it's brutal.
What edition will you be running?
>>
>>52281350
>were a bit harsh
Well, it is Tomb of Horrors.
>>
>>52281454
>Dimension Door
>In the Tomb of Horrors
>>
Okay, I don't roleplay, but I've read like a lot of the modules and books and I've spent a lot of time reading and understanding the Tomb of Horrors.

In the case of modules (not just the Tomb) how exactly does a player willingly avoid spoilers regarding the tomb? Like, people talk about the Tomb; I know exactly what OP's picture (lose everything no save) is even without even playing the game. Do players just do the Tomb once and never do it again? Is that what modules are? Are there other famous modules like the Tomb?

As an outsider the Tomb to me is the quintessential D&D piece of pop culture. I feel if people cared to know anything about D&D (and most people don't) they would just read the Tomb module just to get a good idea of what this shit is all about.

Is the Tomb a rite of passage? I just can't imagine a person roleplaying for 5 years and not playing the Tomb but I don't know anything. What if you fuck up the Tomb, do you run it again? Do roleplayers redo modules? I feel like the Tomb is like The Titanic or King Kong; you know the punchline, so you're going to metagame to some degree.
>>
>>52285015
Get the dark below instead. It's better in every way.
Yw
>>
>>52281004
>ToH
So you've decided to commit suicide
>>
File: 1489142569436.jpg (46KB, 604x604px) Image search: [Google]
1489142569436.jpg
46KB, 604x604px
>>52285797
Return to Tomb of Horrors is great too - the tomb itself is just single leg of the adventure.

Personally, I would remix the tomb. If you try to meta, you get bitten.
>>
File: smugge.jpg (97KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
smugge.jpg
97KB, 1200x675px
>>52285015

>playing D&D
>players run into puzzle
>stupidly assume the answer to the puzzle is the way through
>they die
>'haha fools, you expected this world to have a consistent logic and that was your undoing'
>'how stupid of you to choose the obvious rational answer'
>'if you were smart you would've guessed the random unintuitive solution i came up with instead'
>'i the dm, have outsmarted you'
>drop my pants
>dick is pulsating
>roll up onto the table
>hoist myself up on my shoulders and start sucking myself off
>players cheer me on, shower me with roses
>news crew comes in, films me
>time person of the year: cleverest dm ever
>tfw
>>
>>52281152
>I am in dire need of explanation.

The actual explanation is that you're fucking autistic because only a sperglord would think secret doors come with instruction manuals.

>PC #1 - This one is labeled D
>PC #2 - (checks through Tomb of Horrors owners' manual available for purchase at the entry kiosk) Let's see... D... It slides up
>PC #1 - Sliding it up

The in-game explanation is the one >>52281281 already provided. The PCs discover a door and then use trial & error to determine how it opens.
>>
>>52285959
God I love caramel colored cats
>>
>>52281350
>Well then, I suppose I thought that trial and error were a bit harsh. The last door is going to be murder.

"Harsh" and "murder" are what Tomb of Horrors is all about. Didn't you get the memo?
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.