[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it a good idea to advertise if you are a rookie or first time

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

File: Magical Realm DM screen.png (189KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
Magical Realm DM screen.png
189KB, 480x360px
Is it a good idea to advertise if you are a rookie or first time GM?

I could see your players being more understanding ahead of time, but also it might undermine your 'authority' at the table and encourage people to try and break or fuck up your game.
>>
>>52280688
Easy option is to say you're new to whatever specific system you are playing, but you're experienced otherwise, that's forgivable
>>
Depends, how do you think your players would react? Are they notorious for derailing games?
>>
>>52280688

If someone is going to shit up your game or be That Guy who always argues, they'll do it regardless. If they know you're a rookie it just means they'll do it sooner and be more bold about it, which isn't necessarily a bad thing because they've 'outed' themselves earlier. You'll have to deal with them either way, so there's an argument for saying the sooner the better.
>>
>>52280745

I'm trying to find players. I don't know if I should tell people that I'm a first time DM for fear it would scare them off, or attract bad players.
>>
>>52280688
Don't admit to it until after character creation or else you will have to deal with the absolute worst kinds of bullshit.
>>
>>52280802
>else you will have to deal with the absolute worst kinds of bullshit.

like what?
>>
>>52280890
Players showing you weird splatbooks, creating meme characters that they hope you won't immediately recognize and put down, creating characters that can trivialize "basic" combat, creating characters to abuse poor understanding of a given rule, Illusionist bullying, characters that are only out to fuck up initiative and make your bookkeeping a nightmare, characters that break a given sort of encounter, minmaxing retardo builds, whining to get bonus feats and abilities at creation, characters that focus on grappling just because they know you haven't figured out grapple rules quite yet, the list just goes on.
Unless you are familiar with the group, just don't draw that kind of fire up front.
>>
>>52280890
Pun-pun, Sir Bearington, any other of thousand /tg/ memes.
>>
File: 1467609445039.jpg (74KB, 300x339px) Image search: [Google]
1467609445039.jpg
74KB, 300x339px
>>52280981
>Sir Bearington, Pun-Pun, and Chuck all in the same party
>>
>>52280688
Don't DM unless you understand the rules enough to make decisions. If you do have to make a decision you aren't sure about tell them either no or yes "for now" until you can look up and ponder the RAW. When in doubt don't be afraid to ask other players how they feel about someone in the grouo having an ability
>>
File: Assuming.jpg (12KB, 307x164px) Image search: [Google]
Assuming.jpg
12KB, 307x164px
>>52280972
>>
>>52280688
Just remember saying "no" is okay.
>>
>>52280688
Do say that you're newbie.

But even as a newbie GM you have the authority to give the boot to players that try to fuck with you for newbness.
In fact, getting some training in that is vital for your progress to being a good gm.
>>
>>52280688
>>52280802
>>52280972
Just make pregens for your players. That way you can limit their options to things you know you can handle, and you can easily look up the specific abilities they'll be limited to.
>>
File: 1462174865568.jpg (70KB, 846x846px) Image search: [Google]
1462174865568.jpg
70KB, 846x846px
>>52281426
>>
File: You are Lovely People.jpg (135KB, 725x291px) Image search: [Google]
You are Lovely People.jpg
135KB, 725x291px
>>52280688
>Is it a good idea to advertise if you are a rookie or first time GM?
Yes. You should always subtly lower expectations of yourself in whatever you set out to do. That way if you do poorly, people won't be too disappointed in you, and if you do well, they will be impressed.

>it might undermine your 'authority' at the table
If your players are challenging your authority as the GM, either they are really shitty players, or you are particularly lacking in the ability to project yourself as being in charge. In either case, neither you being a rookie nor them knowing it will have much impact one way or the other.
>>
>>52280688
It'll be fine, as long as you don't let them undermine your authority. Read the rulebook thoroughly, well enough that you can make rulings without it. Then close it for the entirety of the game. No looking shit up to argue with you - you make a decision, and if you get it wrong then you'll do better next time, but it still stands this time.

Also, don't be afraid to say no. If people start doing shit like >>52280972 then let them know you're not comfortable adding splats you're not familiar with, or that you're not allowing variant humans as an option yet, or so on.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.