[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Rolled stats I got an 18 and 2 16's! I got a 14, nothing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_3694.jpg (46KB, 636x416px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3694.jpg
46KB, 636x416px
>Rolled stats
I got an 18 and 2 16's!
I got a 14, nothing else above 13, and 2 9's.
>Point Buy
I have the exact stat line I wanted.
So do I!

Why is it so hard for people to understand?
>>
Because some people are Roleplayers and others are Rollplayers.
>>
>>52271249
Sometimes it's fun to work within challenging parameters.

If you're too autistic to understand this, let me point out that the editions of D&D where rolling for stats was the only method, your stats didn't have as deep of an impact on your character's abilities as they do in later editions.
>>
File: 1485692495400.jpg (156KB, 1224x814px) Image search: [Google]
1485692495400.jpg
156KB, 1224x814px
>>52271249
But anon, taking the standard array doesn't give you joy of role playing a character with a stat of 4. Some of the best characters ive ever seen have had at least one terrible stat that the player leaned into.
>eldritch knight with and int of 4
>wizard with the wisdom of an infant
>overweight fighter with a dex of 5
All great things if you just allow it to happen anon
>>
Because some people have grown so attached to the idea of rolling stats, alongside so many other bits of legacy bullshit, that they'll defend it to the death rather than acknowledging the hobby would be better off abandoning it.

Rolling stats only makes sense for zero investment meatgrinder games where it speeds up chargen, or comedy bullshit like Maid RPG where having low stats is in a way 'better' than high ones, since it leads to more funny and absurd situations.

But yeah. Outside of those specific scenarios, pointbuy is implicitly better and people who bitch and whine about the virtue of rolling stats are just stuck several decades in the past.
>>
>>52271690
>But yeah. Outside of those specific scenarios, pointbuy is implicitly better and people who bitch and whine about the virtue of rolling stats are just stuck several decades in the past.
Your argument is only true if having perfect stats are important to the game, which, while a majority of players would agree , is not universally true.
>>
>>52271249
Rolling stats is for when you want to have fun in a game
Point buy is when you want to win a game
>>
>>52271389
Heh, nice.

You imply that people Rolling for stats are actually Roleplayers while those who Distribute them in a way that fits their character as they envisioned him are actually Rollplayers. And there's also invoking the memetic roleplay vs rollplay dichotomy.

Good joke, works on multiple levels.
>>
I don't see why people say that rolled stats are better for roleplaying. How does one way of assigning scores help or hinder roleplaying?

I do pointbuy because it insures that no character is weaker than any other character, which means there is absolutely no room for the stronger characters to bully the weaker ones around. I also think that martials and spellcasters should be balanced with each other for the exact same reason.
>>
>>52271716

I don't want perfect stats. I want stats that are appropriate to the character I wish to play. Pointless randomisation adds nothing but a chance to not be able to do so.
>>
Rolling is certainly better if you need 11 characters to hurriedly throw into a 70's randomly generate competitive wargame dungeon.
>>
>>52271783

I believe in older editions the assumption was that you played the character you rolled rather than having an idea of a character thought out before rolling.

I like both methods personally, but I can see why someone might not
>>
Can we just agree that everyone has their own completely retarded and incorrect opinion and never make this thread again?
>>
>>52271249
I got an entire array of 17s and 18s! Being the game's sole protagonist sure rocks! I got nothing with modifiers, oh boy oh boy I can't wait for the spotlight to never be on me! Huh, I got nothing higher than 9, sure going to be hilarious and fun to drag the whole party down until a goblin kills me in the first room of the dungeon!
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.