[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thinking of running a cyberpunk game, but I need more inspiration.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: temp.jpg (709KB, 1240x500px) Image search: [Google]
temp.jpg
709KB, 1240x500px
Thinking of running a cyberpunk game, but I need more inspiration. Do you fellow fa/tg/uys have some recommended books/movies/vidya? I already read Neuromancer, and I've seen Blade Runner.

A system recommendation would also be nice.
>>
File: snow-crash.png (620KB, 430x648px) Image search: [Google]
snow-crash.png
620KB, 430x648px
>>52268820
Go read Snow Crash, it's pretty good.
>>
>>52268837
>The book presents the Sumerian language as the firmware programming language for the brainstem, which is supposedly functioning as the BIOS for the human brain.
>According to characters in the book, the goddess Asherah is the personification of a linguistic virus, similar to a computer virus.
>The god Enki created a counter-program which he called a nam-shub that caused all of humanity to speak different languages as a protection against Asherah (a re-interpretation of the ancient Near Eastern story of the Tower of Babel).

Holy shit.
>>
File: spider-jerusalem.jpg (71KB, 600x448px) Image search: [Google]
spider-jerusalem.jpg
71KB, 600x448px
>>52268844
That's cool, yeah! Added to my list of reads (not OP here).

As for systems, take a look at Shadowrun. I personally don't like it as a game system (especially the dice roll system is just.... Ugh) but the whole magical world + near-future cyberpunk thing is cool, and the latest editions did do pretty cool stuff like trying to figure out how a non-centralized "internet of things" would work and evolve. Read a source book, play the video games (Dragonfall and Hong Kong are legit good).
Other vidya is obviously Deus Ex, original for a more realistic world evolution from now or Human revolution for a more "high-sci fi feel".
Also to read/watch: Ghost in the Shell (NOT the upcoming Hollywood abortion!)
If you want a crazier world that's pretty dystopian (but not really all that cyberpunk as in neon and chrome everywhere) check out Transmetropolitan (pic related).
>>
>>52268820
Deus Ex 1

Mini six
>>
>>52268844
>Holy shit.
You have no idea, good buddy.
Go pick up a copy, clear an evening, brew a pot of coffee and enjoy.

It manages to be a flawless pastiche of about six different angles of the cyberpunk genre, a reasonably interesting exploration of language as consciousness AND an incredible action adventure novel.
>>
>>52268837
Seconding this.
>>52268889
And this. As a Shadowrun GM it's an absolute clusterfuck of a system and that goes for all editions but damn if taking out orcs with an SMG synced over wifi with your optic nerve isn't fun. Dragonfall and Hong Kong are indeed legit good

I'd add to that list Akira, Looper, Batman Year 100, EYE Divine Cybermancy (little more on the insane poorly-translated science fantasy side here), Any and all Judge Dredd including the 2012 movie and A Scanner Darkly.
>>
>>52268820
Here are some more movies and anime you could watch:

964 Pinocchio
A.D. Police
Akira
Angel Cop
Appleseed
Armitage III
Battle Angel Alita
Black Magic M-66
Burst City
Cybercity O-EDO 808
Death Powder
Dredd
Ergo Proxy
Gamer
Ghost in the Shell
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Gunhed
Judge Dredd
Hardware
Nemesis
Neo Tokyo
Nirvana
Parasite Dolls
Patlabor
Psycho Pass
Robocop I & II
Renaissance
Repo Men
Rubber's Lover
Serial Experiment Lain
Strange Days
Tetsuo
The Animatrix
The Matrix
The Running Man
Total Recall
Twilight of the Dark Master
Urbance

Note that not everything is good or necessary to watch.

Also a suggestion that I will give you is avoid mixing too many cyberpunk tropes.
>>
Personally, I hated Snowcrash. I kind of enjoyed Gibson's short stories (Johnny Mnemonic, Burning Chrome, New Rose Hotel...) as well as Idoru. In the cyberpunk classics there also Hardwired, and Last Stand on Zanzibar that are both pretty good. The whole Takeshi Kovacs serie and Thirteen are also pretty good, although they're more about transhumanism than cyberpunk.
>>
>>52268820
In regard to the system, I do like Cyberpunk 2020 the best. GURPS Cyberpunk is a tad more crunchy, but it works, too. Savage Worlds - Interface Zero seems decent but I have no experience with it.
>>
>>52269114
Seconding this. Neal is a shit writer with one dimensional characters.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.