[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Looking for a system that is not D&D. Really anything which

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 5

File: 031841.jpg (132KB, 445x600px) Image search: [Google]
031841.jpg
132KB, 445x600px
Looking for a system that is not D&D. Really anything which will fit in my high fantasy medieval campaign setting. What is RuneQuest like? Can I get a quick run?
>>
>>52268282
Glorantha doesn't do medieval. Glorantha does vikings.

There is a distinct lack of castles and knights and ladies. If you can stomach vikings and halls and cattle instead, RuneQuest is decent.

Some absolutely adore its very deep setting, though I personally can't be bothered. The rule system is decent and work decently. Read the setting and decide if you are okay with dream quests, duck people, dragons and weirdness.
>>
>>52268944
half of RQ editions are setting agnostic and can do any pre-industrial period equally well.

And in case of glorantha, it's not vikings, it's bronze age mixed with lot of weird mythological shit that is even hard to describe in short
>>
>>52268944
>Glorantha doesn't do medieval. Glorantha does vikings.

Vikings are pretty fucking medieval buddy.

>>52268282
I have been playing a RQ3 campaign since september, and I must say. It´s my favourite system I have ever DM´d
>>
>>52269034
>>52268282
I play in Glorantha, but RQ3 can very easily be used in a generic medieval setting.

The three biggest things RQ does right are:

Armour does not make attacks harder to hit, but reduce damage when an attack hits. If you get hit for 7 damage in your arm and you wear 5 points of armour (Scalemail) on that bodypart your arm only receives 2 points of damage.

There are no levels in Runequest. All experience gains are done through skills. Everything you do has a skill. You wanna climb a cliff? Use your climb skill. Wanna find some healing herbs, use your search skill and when that worked you use your Plant Lore skill to check if they are the right kind of herbs. Wanna hit a dude with your spear? Use a spear attack check. Skill checks are done with a D100, you check your skill level, for example 35, add your atribute modifier (right above your character sheet so no endless searching) lets say 5. And then you roll the die. In this example you need to roll 40 or below to have a succes.
>>
>>52269094
Once you have a succes you can check the box next to the skill on your Character sheet, that means you can make an experience check at the end of the session. To make an experience check, you roll a D100 and aim to roll above your skill level. So if you have a skill of 35, you aim for 35 or higher. Making it harder to get experience the higher level you are.

Almost everything in the game is done using D100's only damage and chargen use other dice sometimes.
>>
>>52268282
FATAL
>>
>>52269094
>>52269112
Sounds sweets I'm going to have to take a look at the pdf. What about Rolemaster?
>>
>>52269094
>>52269112
Also what's wrong with the newer editions of RuneQuest?
>>
>>52269112
And the third thing I really like about runequest is the fact that there are no classes. If you are a sword and board dude, but want to learn some archery, pick up a bow at a trainer and start using it more often. Slowly (or with a large amount of cash and a good trainer quickly) you will start to get experience and become better with the bow. Same goes for magic, seek a teacher, a shaman or a priest. And let them teach you some spells.

The only thing I don't quite like is sorcery. It's complicated as fuck with a spell skill, an art skill, a presence level and your magic points all needing to take track off. There is a decent variant from Sandy Peterson floating around on the web but it's still complicated and prone to OP ness
>>
>>52268944
>Glorantha doesn't do medieval. Glorantha does vikings.
Uh...
>>
>>52268282
13th Age is my recommendation,
>>
>>52268282
Savage Worlds will run it. Has a bunch of fantasy based splats but it's a generic system so you can do whatever

It's such an easy game to run and play compared to D&D
>>
>>52269241
I wouldn't know, I don't know the system.

>>52269265
They get a lot more esotheric and bookkeepy
>>
>>52269241
Rolemaster has a couple different versions but here's the short -

Tables
Combat is d100 exploding (where if you roll 95+, you keep rolling and adding)

One roll, add your bonus, subtract their defense bonus.
Cross index on the appropriate table for your weapon and their armor, find damage, and if you crit.

If you crit, d100 on another table.

Skills are d100 + skill - difficulty, 100+ succeeds.

You still have levels and classes, but the classes determine how expensive different skills are.

Not for everyone, some would say, not for anyone.
>>
File: RuneQuest Essentials.pdf (6MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
RuneQuest Essentials.pdf
6MB, 1x1px
Here's the old quickplay document for RQ6.

Should be a decent primer for how the system works.
>>
>>52269241
I hate to be that guy, but two more to consider is Tunnels & Trolls and GURPS.
The two couldn't be more different (what about d&d is a pain?), but both can be great for fantasy.
>>
Grow up and realize that D&D is the best system ever made. Find a ruleset you like and homebrew to taste.
>>
>>52269336
I know but I'm on the hunt for a classless or very light class systems.
>>
>>52269124
>historically accurate anal circumference checks and babies with giant genitals.
>>
>>52269327
What is the quickest way to get into GURPS?
>>
>>52269360
major in mathematics
>>
>>52269348
In that case (for classless) - do you want your character generation to be pretty open (where you'd want runequest or gurps) or constrained (lifepaths- little chunks of history that limit what you can buy at what parts of your life)
>>
>>52269383
So far after through RuneQuest it seems like the right match for me. I miss the Riddle of Steel I hope Song of Swords turns out to be great.
>>
>>52269360
Free download of GURPs lite gives you the basic system. If you like that, grab the core books for 4th edition (it's two books, one to support chargen, one for running, most of it you won't use at the table (unless you want it)) - from there you could stop and play. There are tons of support material if you want it. Fantasy is a good genre book with advice on applying the system to fantasy (optional if you know what you want), there are a bunch of alternate magic systems of the stock one doesn't do it for you.
>>
>>52269409
Also, there's a series of gurps supplements called Dungeon Fantasy, which gives you specifics on how to run d&d in gurps (though you end up taking on a thing that looks a lot like classes)
>>
>>52269094
What does RQ do with its skills that d&d doesn't?
>>
>>52269643
Everything is a skill. Attacking with a sword is a skill, blocking with a shield is a skill, dodging is a skill, horseriding is a skill. Magic is a skill etc.
>>
>>52269692
Technically, 5e handles attacks the same way as skills. Stat+prof+d20.

Magic as well (sorta, saves are a bit different), although, I'm guessing in RQ you make a "cast magic" roll as well instead of slots.
>>
>>52269692
Are there social mechanics? Stealth mechanics? Crafting mechanics? Is there anything that skills can do other than succeed or fail?
>>
>>52269721
Yes, magic is either your your skill in that spell (in sorcery's case). Spirit magic isn't done with a skill but with your own spirit. So you roll on your POW x5.

>>52269732
You can Succeed, fail, Have a special succes, have a critical succes and a fumble.

Fumbles are fun. You can behead your friends by accident.
>>
>>52269940
It's a really bad singing fumble where that happens.
>>
>>52269732
Stealth is done in three skills. You have sneak, you have hide, and you have conceil.

Social is done in 5 skills. Speak (language), fast talk, orate, and the other two I forgot.
>>
>>52269721
Combat is slightly different in the fact that a defender can activly block one or two incomming attacks. He does that by rolling a parry skill roll.

If the attack roll succeeds and the parry roll does aswell the attacker gets to do damage on the blocking shield/weapon. If the attack roll succeeds and the Parry roll doesn't the attack hits the enemy. If the attack fails and the parry succeeds the defender can try and damage the attackers weapon.
>>
File: 1464033933329.gif (4MB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1464033933329.gif
4MB, 800x800px
>>52269336
>Grow up and realize that D&D is the best system ever made

Americans are so funny in their plebness
>>
>>52269034
>>52269278
You know that by "medieval" he meant "Western European feudalism"; don't be pedantic.
>>
>>52270277
But it is. What other system has good bestiary and other stuff? Other systems are lacking or are about theatre of the mind.
>>
Anything that uses special dice? I have a strange need for a FFG-esque system with successes and failures determined by symbols and not numbers.
>>
>>52270865
Runequest has at least 8 different bestiaries. Region Guides not included.
>>
>>52270887
The last time i checked runequest newest edition it had really crappy combat rules. I'm not saying classless is bad, I liked that concept. But it seemed to me it tried to be roleplay more, and less of a game. No flanking, positioning etc. Besides the 4 civilisations stuff and all that fluff was laughable. "ugabuga i have caveman and can be thief only".
>>
>>52270927
I don't play the newest edition though. I play third.
>>
>>52271059
How is it better than DnD? Maybe I'll check it out.
>>
File: roleplaying.jpg (125KB, 750x600px) Image search: [Google]
roleplaying.jpg
125KB, 750x600px
>>52270865
I sense a bait but I'll still bite

How is system's quality primarily defined by how long list of silly monsters based on progressively more ridiculous premise it has?

also

>are about theatre of the mind
how is this a bad thing?

>>52270886
THE ONE RING I didn't wanted to shill it there cause it's too specific to be considered in "general" fantasy RPG as it's tied to Tolkien's works and themes tightly and unseparatedly. But now you gave me opportunity. It uses both numbers and symbols though
>>
>>52271096
Mostly because of:
-No leveling
-No classes
-Armour reduces damage instead of prevents hits.

I play it on a battlemap with minis.
>>
>>52271096
I'm uploading my pdf collection right now, well some of it atleast.
>>
>>52270794
No, that level of bullshit specificity should be punished; there's a whole lot of faggot going on there, ESPECIALLY because Glorantha is Bronze Age, which puts the Vikings just as out-of-range as your French assholes.
>>
>>52270277
>Americans create a new hobby
>Eurotrash spend decades pretending they understand it better
Sounds like everything else about the last hundred years to me.
>>
>>52271415
RQ3 has a viking supplement
>>
>>52271175
No baiting from my side

>how is this a bad thing?
>How is system's quality primarily defined by how long list of silly monsters based on progressively more ridiculous premise it has?

Becouse I buy unfinished product this way. It's really easy to make system like this yourself. Even better - grab some fantasy books like LOTR and pretend that's PnP "game". That's ok with me, but it's not a good product.

I'm not saying DnD is perfect, but it's actually a product and is at least somewhat coherent with some budget behind it. Most of the market is "some guy made system around his favourite egyptian/vampires/pirates etc movie he has seen, published this mess via kickstarter and expect clients to make everything themselves."

>>52271271
>>
>>52271271
So this system is for people who care for realism? I couldn't care less about stuff like this, as long as the product is coherent and play is good.
>>
Fantasycraft, d&d5e/pf, depending on the nature of your 'no d&d' bar, fate,
>>
GURPS: Dungeon Fantasy is good if you want AD&D atmosphere and lethality with a higher level of tactical input.
>>
>>52271319
https://mega.nz/#!xcAVjbqS!k9_vQ_90DJwo76TRXS7PCzADXTUSsoZkHLVVUtcQNoc
>>
>>52271762
>mess via kickstarter and expect clients to make everything themselves."
Well for Runequest this isn't the case. You can easily find loads of material online. I would recommend Griffin Mountain. Apple Lane is a nice starting scenario.

>>52271792
No it doesn't really care about realism. It does things differently then D&D but not more complicated.
>>
>>52272014
I mean, being d100, point buy, and having opposed rolls is already more complicated.
>>
>>52271762
Now it did make me genuinely sad
>>
File: lindybeige.jpg (26KB, 359x222px) Image search: [Google]
lindybeige.jpg
26KB, 359x222px
>>52271792
Well it's Lindy's favorite system so it must be historically accurate and realistic :^)
>>
>>52272098
huh?
>>
>>52271438
Wargaming flourished in Eurasia centuries before there was a United States, fatty
>>
>>52272064
Since when is dnd not Point Buy?
>>
>>52272540
I meant pointbuy advancement... unless you mean the level-by-level multiclassing is pointbuy, in which case, in my defense, I'll mention that it's only a core rule in one edition.
>>
>>52270277
Obviously they were joking, even Americans aren't that stupid.
>>
>>52268282
I'm gonna throw in Earthdawn to this thread (I've not seen it discussed here though I don't check this wretched hive of scum an villainy too often).

It's technically the prequel to shadowrun. Set on earth. While shadowrun is in the rising magic part of the cycle, earthdawn is set in the waning of magic part of the cycle, and since the peak is an apocalyptic event it's a bit of a post (magical) apocalyptic game.

Though if you're playing online I really don't recommend it. The dice mechanics are a pain to explain to people if you can't just shove it in their face.
>>
>>52273808
I still don't get the pointbuy thing about runequest though. Maybe thats a RQ6 thingy
>>
>>52271762
This is the dumbest thing I have read all day. It you are going by the definition of ass loads of content and simple rules for a good RPG, then GURPS Lite would be the greatest RPG ever.

Regardless Runequest outside of combat IS as simple to play as D&D, has a very mature setting and set of mechanics, and does have plenty of content ranging from premade adventures to monster manuals that spare you from most prep. If you were referring to FATE or something then I could understand, but in regards to Runequest all I see is more proof that D&D causes brain damage.
>>
>>52275176
I was replying to that one anon specifically, the one that said that theatre of the mind and not having content is a good PnP. I haven't said anything about Runequest.

Next time better think who you are accusing of brain damage, especially while being the one who can 't see the simple outline of discussion.

>
Regardless Runequest outside of combat IS as simple to play as D&D, has a very mature setting and set of mechanics, and does have plenty of content ranging from premade adventures to monster manuals that spare you from most prep.
That's good. I do not understand the "very mature setting and set of mechanics" part, though. Could you please elaborate on that?
>>
>>52276192
I am not that anon but
>very mature setting and set of mechanics
You have very few hitpoints, and even with decent armour a lucky crit to the head can kill PC's in a single hit. Same goes for enemies offcourse.

The setting is mature in some ways, and immature in others.
>>
>>52276616
I'm confused by how lethality equates to immaturity
>>
>>52276616
>You have very few hitpoints, and even with decent armour a lucky crit to the head can kill PC's in a single hit. Same goes for enemies offcourse.
That's realistic, not mature. "Mature"? Like "we're so mature we play real life scenarios, not like those immature unrealistic stuff"?.
>>
>>52276819
>>52276728
The way I see it. Lethality in Runequest means you can't just rush in. YOu have to think, or talk to solve problems instead of relying on murderhobo'ing your way out. That's why I would call it 'mature' but I was not the anon claiming it was mature, I am just giving my view on the whole
>>
>>52276881
To give you a quick look in my campaign with this 'lethal' system:

I have been playing since september, and only 2 PC's have died since then.
>>
>>52268944
Glorantha was bronze age myth age I thought.
>>
>>52270886
>Anything that uses special dice?

Well, you've got FATE, which is setting-agnostic and narrative-heavy, and uses special +/- dice (which are actually lightly modified 6 siders, but hey, it might satisfy your fetish)
>>
Mutants & Masterminds is classless and totally point buy.
2nd ed is streamlined D20 and very nice.
3rd ed is even further evolved than 2nd, anons claim it is better than the 2nd ed.
>>
>>52268282
MYFAROG
>>
>>52271415
Sure Vikings were European Bronze age, but the Jutes, Angles, and Danes were raiding and trading as far down as Macedonia since before Rome got big.
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.