[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I was just going along, living my life, when you fucked reminded

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 339
Thread images: 49

File: Aragorn, Jedi of Pern.png (826KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
Aragorn, Jedi of Pern.png
826KB, 600x900px
I was just going along, living my life, when you fucked reminded me of this series. Then I went and read a bit of every book again. I must have been retarded when I was a teenager; its horrible.

So, thought experiment. Assuming we keep the first book (which wasn't very good to begin with), what do we do with the sequels to save the series?
>>
>>52241330
Burn them?
>>
>>52241330
You have nobody to blame but yourself.
>>
File: kidfic.png (3MB, 1200x963px) Image search: [Google]
kidfic.png
3MB, 1200x963px
>>52241330
>filename
That's pretty funny, anon.
>>
>>52241397
>Artemis Fowl series on the list
Good list /tg/.

anyone read his other stuff? I always thought a Supernaturalist campaign might be cool.
>>
Good things about Eragon:
>The magic system
>That's it.

The books are actually tolerable when they're discussing how to rationally apply the magic system - stuff like mass killing by telekinetically severing blood vessels in the brain. So expand on that, and explore the consequences of a munchkin!Eragon furiously exploiting the magic system for whatever ends.
>>
>>52241423
I dunno but I wanted to terribly indecent things to Holly Short when I was 14.
>>
>>52241397
I disagree with half that list, particularly the inclusion of His Dark Materials.
>>
>>52241423
The supernaturalist is fucking excellent. It's a superb mid-2000s vision of the future, all ecological apocalypse, genetic engineering, and inner-city decay. The problem is that the players would obviously want to hunt parasites which has obvious problems given their actual function.

So you could do it with people who hadn't read the book, and spring the twist on them. That'd be good shit.
>>
>>52241446
Same. Always imagined her with a pixie cut though (HAH) despite her apparently supposed to be wearing it buzzed or a high and tight.

Considering I've been into what people have taken to calling THICC for years (and let's face it, straight up fat chicks too), I wonder why a flat chested midget got me going so bad when I was a wee lad.
>>
>>52241423
Can vouch for Stroud. It is even worth an occasional rereading.
>>
File: 1470296558558.jpg (51KB, 285x386px) Image search: [Google]
1470296558558.jpg
51KB, 285x386px
>>52241446
My Fowl posting shall curse the board once more
>>
>>52241397
>No Harry Potter
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
File: image.png (217KB, 280x361px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
217KB, 280x361px
>>52241491
Her design was definitely something the graphic novel got very right.
>>
File: 1453656323224[1].jpg (1MB, 1588x2862px) Image search: [Google]
1453656323224[1].jpg
1MB, 1588x2862px
>>52241528
Are you serious? Harry Potter is one of the dullest franchises in history. Seriously each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody?just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.
>>
>>52241540
Except for the fact that canonically has brown skin.
>>
>>52241466
Any reason why? I remember enjoying them a lot.
>>
>>52241569
And a long pointy nose. But we both know no one actually pictured her like that.
>>
>>52241559
gatsby isnt even that good
>>
>>52241446
Semi unrelated but Ce'Nedra from the Belgariad is the source of my short girl fetish.
>>
>>52241559
>/lit/ the image.
>>52241612
I have much more to say about that image, but I won't be tempted by such obvious bait.
Decent post, though.
>>
>>52241559
>Ulysses that low
>Gatsby that high
>No Finnegan's Wake
>No Pynchon
>Kafka that low
I've been baited
>>
>>52241559
Had anon not used a bait image he might be taken seriously.
>>
>>52241510
I swear to god, Artemis Fowl gave me all kinds of fetishes
>>
File: windsinger.jpg (19KB, 229x350px) Image search: [Google]
windsinger.jpg
19KB, 229x350px
This seems like a good thread to ask this, but what does /tg/ think about the Winds on Fire trilogy?
>>
>>52241559
>Taking pot shots at Stephen King to prove his point.
Just kill yourself already, anon.
>>
>>52241466
Then's fightin' words, anon. HDM is one of the greatest fantasy series of all time.
>>
File: Shitposting Artemis.jpg (128KB, 826x386px) Image search: [Google]
Shitposting Artemis.jpg
128KB, 826x386px
>>52241423
Supernaturalist was pretty great, Wish List was neat, Airman was iirc decent but dragged at points so I can't recall it that well.

>>52241510
Bah Gawd

>>52241559
Son, your pasta is mouldy and you should feel bad - it's not even /tg/ pasta
>>
>>52241559
>l'etranger
>god tier
Why is /lit/ such cancer?
>>
File: broken sky.jpg (26KB, 220x323px) Image search: [Google]
broken sky.jpg
26KB, 220x323px
>>52241397
Chris Wooding had a series called Broken Sky that I read as a teen and liked a lot
>>
>>52241423
I think that Airman is very underrated.

>>52241528
/tg/ mainly values interesting and internally consistent worldbuilding in fiction. While I really like Harry Potter it doesn't really do either of those things that well, and so probably doesn't belong on a /tg/ rec list.
>>
>>52241397
The Old Kingdom isn't a trilogy anymore
>>
File: 1454664271893.jpg (108KB, 534x820px) Image search: [Google]
1454664271893.jpg
108KB, 534x820px
>>52241559
>LoTR on the same level as Harry Potter and SoIaF
Behead those who insult Tolkien
>>
>>52241559
I don't know if this is pasta or what, but from here it looks like you just finished 10th grade English class and now think you're the smartest person in the universe.
>>
Anyone ever read Airborn, Skybreaker, and Starclimber?

Loved those books as a kid. They cemented my love for engineering and exploration.
>>
>>52241330
1. Power down the elves and give them actual flaws
This always bothered me, even as a kid. The elves always seemed so powerful, I wonder how the hell did they ever lose in the first place. Giving them both weaknesses and faults in their "perfect" world view allows the main character to prove himself to them in a way other than becoming an elf.

2. Power down the evil king and make his story more complex
Making the evil king so powerful only our protagonist can beat him? Good idea. Making him so powerful the only reason he loses is you make him question his very existence? Bad idea. Also, don't make his backstory a young man who gets angry and kills everyone (AKA Anakin Skywalker) make him an older more experienced man who through more than a single tragedy slowly became the way he is (which, power level aside is actually fine as is).

3. Let Eragon get laid
This is more about letting him mature than just getting laid, but the fact he never does is a good summary of how no matter how much he progresses, he never actually has personality in-between childish and stoic.

4. Make up your mind if the story is black and white or shades of grey
This one is self-explanatory, either keep the story simple, make it complex, or start simple and ramp it up, don't keep jumping back and forth.
>>
File: hester shaw.jpg (109KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
hester shaw.jpg
109KB, 499x499px
>>52241397
>Mortal Engines
holy shit, I haven't thought about that book in ages
Hester a cute
>>
>>52241423
I never actually read any of his books except The Supernaturalists, and I have always regretted it.
>>
>>52241559
>Atlas Autistic
>God Tier
kek, good bait anon.
>>
>>52241754
Hester is a monster.
>>
File: 1485463675289.jpg (42KB, 700x479px) Image search: [Google]
1485463675289.jpg
42KB, 700x479px
>>52241559
>Atlast Shrugged God-Tier
>Catch-22 Low Tier
>>
>>52241742
Fuck the ending to the story. I hated the mute spellcasting bs they used so he could defeat the king, even as a kid I hated it.

Roran was the best character and his story much better than Eragon's.

Sidenote, my favorite part of the book was the soldiers who couldn't feel anything. Some reason that part leaped out at me.
>>
>>52241696
Chris is pretty great in general.

>Broken Sky
Anime steampunk magic saturday morning cartoon.

>Weavers of Saramyr
Game of Thrones, except with 100% more Japan and 400% more magic.

>Poison
Fantasy deconstruction with mindbending fourth-wall bending philosophy for kids.

>Alaizabel
Lovecraft meets Buffy meets Edwardian london.

>Ketty Jay
this is just Steampunk firefly, and it knows how dumb it is
>>
>>52241559
>Atlas Shrugged is God Tier
>Hamlet is Low Tier

What a dumbass
>>
File: Pleasant.jpg (126KB, 1524x601px) Image search: [Google]
Pleasant.jpg
126KB, 1524x601px
>>52241730
It's pasta and a /lit/ image, their are few more cancerous things

If we're talking adventure-friendly children's/YA literature I'd also add the following series:

Skulduggery Pleasant
The Keys to the Kingdom (Mister Monday, Grim Tuesday etc.)
All of Rick Riordan's stuff

None are super high literature or anything, but Riordan's myth-verse and the SP universe are both incredibly well suited to having PCs
>>
>>52241592

It started with promise, like inklings of good ideas, but everything slowly snowballed into an such a... it's hard to describe. It's like the entire series was designed to make fantasy suck.

Like, you're looking at the programme before a play starts, and you see all of your favorite actors are going to appear on stage together.
All of your favorite parts of fantasy.
You can hardly believe it, this might really be the greatest thing you'll ever see.

And then, as the play progresses, you realize it's not them, none of them, but understudies.
And they're terrible.

They know all the lines, but the delivery is hollow, and they actually get worse as scenes become more demanding.
The plot drags its feet so they linger on stage for so long in each scene that you start to feel irritated just looking at them, and everything is even more horrible because you find out later that the all the primary actors were ready and willing, it's just that the director decided they didn't match his vision.

That's what reading that series felt like. Like you're sitting through an awful play, hoping to catch a glimpse of your favorite actor, hoping he'll appear in one of the final scenes. You're sitting through all the slimy "unpleasantness" that's just a shade lighter than sickening, just enough to not make you leave your seat, and then at the very end seeing that he too was replaced by a terrible understudy. The curtain drops, and you're left being frustrated with the knowledge that you could have left the show at any time.
>>
>>52241528
The series is pretty bad, anon. The first four books make pretty okay mystery novels like the Hardy Boys or Nancy Drew with Magic, but from Order of the Phoenix onward they become pretty bad. Order of the Phoenix was downright painful to slog through for my forth grade self.

>>52241559
>Atlas Shrugged that high

I'm a fan of Rand and have flirted with Objectivism, but Atlas Shrugged is a terrible read. The Fountainhead is her better work and The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Heinlein is a better work of fiction with Objectivist themes and values.
>>
>>52241754
>waifuing a literal psychopath
stop

Mortal Engines is so fucking dark. People get stabbed to death, reanimated, betrayed and shot in the back, die of heart attacks while the world burns. Hundreds of thousands of people die in horrific wars and get ground into the mud.

Plus there are lesbians and open references to sex and people pissing themselves in fear.
>>
File: Licurius.png (125KB, 279x463px) Image search: [Google]
Licurius.png
125KB, 279x463px
>>52241397
>Tfw Foundling will never get on there

Maybe I just have shit taste in books.

At least Sabriel and Fowl are on there, so maybe I'm not that bad.
>>
>>52241640
It's a copypasta tho
>>
File: image.jpg (80KB, 524x540px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
80KB, 524x540px
>>52241397
I remember really enjoying these books as a kid. I doubt the writing was very good, but the setting was really cool. After the third book the plot goes totally off the rails though.
>>
>>52241754
I liked how Hester was still a sociopathic murderous lunatic even after years of good times, and it all results in her screwing over her own relationships because she can't move past her own insecurities or murderous instincts

>tfw if they ever made a Mortal Engines movie or TV series, Hester would look not-that-bad
>>
>>52241815
Skulduggery was fine until it became successful. So the inevitable happened and it got stretched into like, 10 books and the author added a vampire romance subplot because Twilight was selling billions of copies.
>>
>>52241817
You've written a great, grand, sweeping metaphor here, but I really can't understand what you're specifically talking about. I'd be more interested to actually hear the specifics of what you disliked. Was it the characters? The dialogue? The themes? What actually was it that pissed you off?
>>
>>52241815
>The Keys to the Kingdom
This one's pretty good, but even when I read it it felt like it was aimed a younger audience than Nix's Old Kingdom series. I'm not sure how well it would hold up reading it as an adult.
I really like how aggressively artificial the world it took place in was. It was really interesting to see a setting where everything was the result of considered (often competing) design.

>>52241851
Don't worry anon, I also like foundling. Unsatisfying third part aside.
>>
>>52241330
Make best boy Roran a Rider, or at LEAST the new King of Alagaesia (Varden a shit).
>>
>>52241845
It's pretty great, though I don't recall someone pissing themselves.

Some of the things in it though, like the Resurrection Corps (and I do recall their head being mentioned as having "wandering hands" that Dr Zero just had to kind of ignore), the Stalkers they made and the Green Storm's suicide bombers.

Yeah it was pretty damn dark
>>
File: REEEEEEEEEEEE.jpg (78KB, 500x628px) Image search: [Google]
REEEEEEEEEEEE.jpg
78KB, 500x628px
>>52241432

THE MAGIC SYSTEM IS STOLEN FROM LE GUIN YOU ILLITERATE SWINE
>>
>>52241397
>No Redwall for the closet /ck/ furries
>>
If there are more than three books in a mid-2000s children's fantasy series, then everything after the fourth is invariably awful. This is a universal rule.
>>
>>52241397

>No Animorphs for the mental scarification

Where's Garth Nix's Keys to the Kingdom?
>>
>>52241933
Third part had some ass parts but the Manor stand off is still superb.

Europe a best.

Also KTTK sort of dropped off at book 7 when I read back through it, mostly due to knowing what was going to happen in the end and wanting Arthur to do more.
>>
>>52241978

Really animorph should be 16+
>>
>>52241397
>mortal engines
YEAH BOI
>>
>>52241620
>Ce'Nedra

>Not based Aunt Pol

C'mon, you gonna tell me you didn't wanna hit that?
>>
>>52241978
Oh shit I loved those books.
I feel the finale was kind of disappointing though, felt like an awful lot of running around doing nothing so they could reach the conclusion.
>>
>>52241916
>and the author added a vampire romance subplot because Twilight was selling billions of copies.
Ah, I take it you stopped reading at that point?

Because the entire point of that subplot was to very blatantly make fun of Twilight and point out that teenage girls make horrible choices.

Was probably a little longer than it really needed to be, but most of the payoff was worth it.

>>52241933
Yeah, it was aimed a bit younger, but there was a lot of cool stuff in there, it was quite out there
>>
>>52241731
Yes. Zeppelins From Another World done RIGHT.
>>
File: Fedora core.jpg (808KB, 749x2209px) Image search: [Google]
Fedora core.jpg
808KB, 749x2209px
>>52241559
/tv/ has the best bait, The Best
>>
>>52241330
Jesus, me too. I cannot believe how muck weaboo elf dicksucking I put up with when I first read it.
>>
>>52242083
>Idiocracy

Tye mere picture of that movie is enough to make me angry.
>>
>>52241951
>I don't recall someone pissing themselves
It happens at the end of the third book, when Shrike confronts Hester. It always stuck with me, for whatever reason; perhaps that the scene was so much more visceral than anything else I'd read. It didn't pull any punnches.

>He reached towards her, sheathing his claws, and she reacted in the way most once-born did when the chase was done and there was no escaping him; that wordless keening, and the the sudden hot stink as her bowels emptied. It hurt him that she was afraid of him. He pulled her close as gently as he could and said "I HAVE MISSED YOU SO MUCH."

>>52242048
>stopped reading at that point
I think I started reading Skulduggery when I was like, 12? By the time the later books came out, I'd outgrown them. I think that was the last straw. But your explanation makes a lot of sense.
>>
>>52241916
Totally with you there, it just suffered from what I call anime syndrome. The awesome badasses just keep beating stronger and stronger enemies and the power creep ruins it. But as >>52242048 says, the vampire subplot was actually just poking fun at twilight. My issue was probably the Vile/Darquess fight that just made it a Zod v Superman fight
>>
>>52242083
Some of those are good but even the good ones are fedora-core.
>>
I never read past the 3rd skulduggery pleasant because I couldn't fucking find any of the books after that point.
>>
File: da-vincis-demons.jpg (44KB, 630x420px) Image search: [Google]
da-vincis-demons.jpg
44KB, 630x420px
>>52241890
>tfw if they ever made a Mortal Engines movie or TV series, Hester would look not-that-bad

I wonder what kind of prosthetic they will use on her
>>
>>52242131
> Fight Club
> Fedora
Unless you're stupid enough to take it at face value, it's really not.
>>
>>52241330
>what do we do with the sequels to save the series?
Stop ripping off Star Wars
>>
>>52242083
>Big Trouble in Little China
>Pacific Rim
>300
>Army of Darkness
>Starship Troopers
>Total Recall
>Hardcore Henry

What does 'fedoracore' here even MEAN?
>>
File: temp.jpg (256KB, 1860x222px) Image search: [Google]
temp.jpg
256KB, 1860x222px
>>52242083
/tv/ is probably the funniest board.
>>
>>52242160
>>52242179
The ide of the image is to piss off as many nerds as possible.
>>
>>52242196
So basically it's a list of good movies I should watch. How is this supposed to troll me again?
>>
>>52242179
It means at a certain point it became associated with the kind of person who wears a fedora inappropriately.
It isn't an attack on their quality or any particular shared quality they have, just guilt by association.
>>
>>52242225
Some of them aren't good. They mix some bad stuff in with good stuff to really sell it.
>>
>>52242113
>>52242120
Yeah, the power creep was a bit much, I can see why people would drop them (not got much hope for the sequel series, but you never know)

Did like Darquesse booting a brain like a football though - she was amusingly dark and cheerful, and Dr Nye was suitably creepy for what's basically Not!Mengele.

>>52242113
Yeah, Mortal Engines wasn't afraid to get visceral - the making of a Stalker was described pretty gruesomely I think it's from Infernal Devices - when the Surgeon-Mechanic's brother gets pulled from the mud and appears on her slab and she has to recycle his body:

>"she said, "Scalpel. Bonesaw. Rib-spreaders" and set to work. She opened [her brother]'s body and took out his internal organs, replacing them with engines, batter-housings and preservative pumps. She cut off his hands and replaced them with the steel hands of a Stalker. She cut off his private parts. She took out his eyes. She took off his skin, and wired a mysterious net of electrodes into the fibres of his muscles. She opened his skull and fitted a machine the size of a peach-stone into his brain, then watched him writhe and shudder as it unspooled wire-thin cilia down his spinal cord, connecting to his nervous system and to the other machines she had installed... When she had finished she handed him over to a junior surgeon-mechanic who would fit the exoskeleton and finger-glaives."

I think that's the moment when she decides to kill Stalker Fang
>>
File: usa.jpg (61KB, 643x431px) Image search: [Google]
usa.jpg
61KB, 643x431px
>>52241397
>His Dark Materials
Northern Lights and the first half of The Subtle Knife were pretty good but The Amber Spyglass almost felt like arguing with a "tip fedora" internet militant atheist

But then again, I read these books some time ago and don't remember why they pissed me off so much considering I was never religious in the first place
>>
>>52241559
This pasta is stale.
>>
>>52242248
To sell what? It doesn't make sense.
>>
>>52242295
To sell you that it's actually calling good movies bad. Y'know, to make you upset and angry intentionally?
>>
>>52241397
Bartimaeus is the shit.
>>
>>52241845
Exactly. Mortal Engines is such a grimdark fucking setting, but Hester and Tom's romance works so well in it. They both have severe mental scarring (mostly Hester), and this complicates things a lot for then. And yet they both still obviously love eachother and work to make their relationship work; it's really touching.
Go re-read the ends of Mortal Engines and A Darkling Plain and you'll see what I mean.

>>52241890
The's a lot more sane in the 3rd and 4th books, after the timeskip.
>>
>>52241655
>no replies
Am I seriously the only one to have read this shit?
>>
>>52241397
>Wolf Brother
Oh fuck I remember that book. It was a really weird read back then. It was a weird transition from a sort of no magic world to I AM NOW A WOLF/BEAR AND MAGIC FEVER AND DISEASE.
Did anyone read Knife of Never Letting Go? The series was really cool, and when I reread it a year ago it still held up.
>>
>>52241731
I've still got them. Always felt Starclimber fell a bit short of the other two though
>>
>>52242330
>a lot more sane in the 3rd and 4th books, after the timeskip.

>Seriously considers murdering her daughter
>Abandons her husband and daughter after realizing she likes freedom more

Hester Shaw was seriously fucked up man
>>
>>52242307
Oh, well if some of the movies are bad and some are good, maybe the list isn't about quality. You know, maybe it's a bunch of movies where the characters wear fedoras.

> to make you upset and angry intentionally?
More like making people confused intentionally.
>>
>>52242367
Good series, though I don't recall it that well. I can't recall how they stop the Noise, for example.
>>
File: UnUnDun(1stEd).jpg (27KB, 220x353px) Image search: [Google]
UnUnDun(1stEd).jpg
27KB, 220x353px
I remember reading Unlundun when I was in college, thought it was pretty neat

>>52242367
Pretty sure I still have the little bracelet thing I got when I bought the second book. Man I loved that series
>>
>>52241800
>Roran was the best character
Well then, to answer OP:
> As the king learn another dragon rider exist and is preparing to kill him he decide to cut it out before he grow too powerful
> The climatic battle of the BBEG and the hero happen at the middle of the story rather than the end
> Due to circumstances and the king exposing himself too much, it ends with a double KO
> It's now up to secondary characters to continue the war, Eragon become a martyr hero that was taken too soon.
>>
>>52242397
>seriously considers murdering her daughter
I don't remember that.
Do you mean that part in the beginning of book three where she fires on the lost boys' submarine? Cause if so, that was to save Wren, not kill her.

>Abandons Tom
After he learned that she sold out Ankorage in book two. She ran away because she thoguht Tom was gonna reject her; the "I prefer freedom" bit was obviously self deception.
>>
>>52241397

My aunt bought me Wolf Brother when I was in my early teens, and it was awful. Mundane plot, almost autistic in its writing style, and flat characters.
>>
>>52241878
>After the third book the plot goes totally off the rails though.
Just a bit. I stopped at like 4 I think I'm pretty sure I got to the Nazis, but I read a synopsis of the rest and it looked mental.

The initial premise was good, and a lot of the imagery was fantastic - the creepy victorian undercity, old-ass plague-locked city, and the creepy deep underground bunker full of medical experiments in the Deeps were all very cool - you couldn't say the books lacked for neat adventure settings
>>
>>52241878
I stopped reading it after the underground Nazis were invaded by the cave people. It got really weird with the twin sisters and how apparently mormons or something somehow created an underground civilization and controlled the world government.
>>
>>52242540
It then turned out that the Styx were ancient alien insects living inside people. I feel like it suffered from the classic YA novel prolbem of the publishers asking for it to be stretched out into a full series instead of being a trilogy. It really seemed like it was going to end at the end of the third book when they all get to the inner world.

That said, I really like the early world building. The imagery was just really cool in my opinion.
>>
>>52242556
Same. Though the victorian guys didn't come off as mormons to me
>>
>>52241655
Was that the one with the army of endless mass-murdering children that just marched forward singing "Kill, kill, kill, kill, kill, kill, kill, kill!" until everything in front of them died? That scared the shit out of me as a kid.
>>
>>52242452
>anything by China Mieville
Mah nigga.
>>
>>52242112
W-what's wrong with it?
It's a low-brow comedy.
>>
>>52241397
Inkheart and its subsequent sequel bored me to tears. My only real memory of it is it being the only book I could not finish, as an avid reader.
>>
>>52242601
Yes it was!
>>
>>52241851
I loved the world of the foundling very much. I didn't like the tale itself that much tough.
>>
>>52242587
Yeah, they were more like Protestant Nazi's.

I'm actually working on a homebrew setting based Tunnels, at least in tone/aesthetic.
>>
>>52242504
>I don't remember that.
I think it was when Hester was recalling how Wren used to unconditionally love her as a baby, but now looks at her in shame because of her appearance, which leads Hester's train of thought to seriously thinking about offing Wren.

Though its been years since I read it so I could be misremembering things.
>>
>>52242602
I'm reading Perdito Street Station in my Uni sci-fi class; I can't tell why I hate the book, but I do.
>>
>>52241397
Mortal Engines, WOOOO!

Suddenly I want to run a game in that universe. It would actually be perfect, the entire setting is designed for high flying steampunk adventures as they ride around in their junkheap zeppelin, travelling between MOVING CITIES, with vast, dangerous barren wastes between. You could take the campaign in any thematic direction too, wacky, political, murderhobo, intrigue, large scale battles, infiltration, or a mix of the lot, and it would all still fit.
>>
>>52242674
It's the one than the protagonist bone some kind of bug-lady? I started it and I will never know why /tg/ likes it so much.
>>
>>52241742

Honestly the earlier in the series they were the better they were. You could keep them just as powerful and make them provably better by cranking the alloofness up to 11. Make them care about nothing but their own self interest. An army of elves should never have been a thing.
>>
>>52242690
It's because of the worldbuilding. The book is like 75% "Traveler's Guide to New Crobuzon and the Wacky World of Bas-Lag", and only 25% actual story.
>>
>>52242609
Same. I appreciated the world and it was obvious the author was a serious worldbuilder who just wanted to cram every little detail she had into the book but goddamn it really made it just awful to read.
>>
>>52242690
Yes. Don't read it. The ending is fucking atrocious.
>>
File: the-lightning-thief.jpg (51KB, 550x824px) Image search: [Google]
the-lightning-thief.jpg
51KB, 550x824px
I really like pic related. Does that mean I have shit taste?
>>
>>52241953

What the fuck is le guinn
>>
>>52241957

Thats a good point, redwall should be in there. It predates furries(possibly pkayed a role in creating them?), The world building is 10/10, and the fantasy adventures manage to be really dark. Not many authors could pull off casting an Adder as Smaug.
>>
>>52241731
Probably read each book 10 times each as a kid. That trilogy was steampunk fantasy-adventure done right. 13 year old me also really loved the romantic dynamic between Kate and Matt. Seriously a shame it was never adapted into film.
>>
>>52242367
This was one of my favorite trilogies for that reason, thanks for reminding me about it,
anon.
>>52241851
I don't remember anything about that book, but I remember the art. What was it about again?
>>52242314
The dialogue between the djinnis is the best thing ever.
>>
>>52242754
What the fuck is google
>>
>>52242750
Books? Nah, they're okay.
Pretty light reading, but with a fair bit of mythological knowledge behind it.
As said above, it's a setting that's good for making PCs in

The Film?
You have negative levels of taste.
>>
>>52242709
And Bas-lag is fucking amazing. It's the most /tg/ book ever.
>>
>>52242709
I would have enjoyed it if it was a faux-traveller guide desu, I couldn't pass the hundred or so pages. What do you think are the best parts? Anything worth stealing for a rpg for example.>>52242721
Ok, a bullet dodged then.
>>
>>52242721
I was going to ask what was wrong with the ending, and then I remembered how I felt the first time I read it. I don't think it's atrocious, but I can definitely see why people dislike it.
>>
>>52242256

Amber spyglass is less an attack on god than an attack on organized religion. Theres a reason God exists but is caged, and held back from dying and getting relief from their mistreatment of him. It is really fucking blatant though.
>>
>>52242083
>Oldboy
It is literally my dream goal as a DM to get my homebrew just right and to be able to describe the action viscerally enough that I can replicate the feel of the corridor fight scene for my players. Because hot damn that single take was the single best piece of cinema I've ever seen.
For those of you that haven't seen it, that one scene makes the entire movie worth watching, even if you hate it (you probably won't, it's very good). Film as a whole kind of feels a bit like Snowpiercer but as a detective/mystery thriller.

I'm not mad at all that it's on the list, I know it's just a list of (generally) good movies that someone labelled "fedoracore" to piss people off
>>
File: 1239726.jpg (31KB, 294x475px) Image search: [Google]
1239726.jpg
31KB, 294x475px
>>52242556
Why do Young Adult novels always go off the deep end? I remember reading this series and by the end the main character had died and was reborn into a polar bear, also he fucked his girlfriend and have birth to a half dragon daughter I think, also some witch was burned to death by millenia old dragon pee which had remained in a dragon corpse. Also I think the world was about to end too.
>>
File: 51vrCZJRHOL.jpg (59KB, 331x500px) Image search: [Google]
51vrCZJRHOL.jpg
59KB, 331x500px
Don't mind me, too busy being the best Young Adult fantasy series ever written.
>>
File: you're right.png (172KB, 565x513px) Image search: [Google]
you're right.png
172KB, 565x513px
>>52242800
>It's the most /tg/ book ever

>Remembers how most /tg/ worldbuilding projects are wacky kitchen sink fantasy
>>
>>52242609
I think it's a consequence of them being translated. Aren't they originally German?
>>
>>52242754
You should start with Wizard of Earthsea, anon. It's a short read, you'd probably finish it in an afternoon.
>>
>>52242779

What the fuck is a conversation?
>>
>>52242839
Publishers want to milk things for all they're worth. See >>52241960
>>
>>52241655
i remember really liking the trilogy.
>>
>>52242803
>Anything worth stealing for a rpg for example
One scene that stood out for me and I really liked (and thought would be really neat to put in a campaign) was when the corrupt mayor of the city talks to the literal Ambassador too Hell, because there are sanity-eating monsters running around that need to be dealt with, and he's willing to make a deal with the devil to do that.
The thing is, the sanity-eating monsters (which are ironically based on ~CR 6 monsters from DnD) are so scary to the Devil, HE'S the one who backs out of the deal!

>>52242825
Literally every part of the ending sucks. Lin is left a drooling vegetable for no reason, Isaac needs to flee the city and is never seen again, Yag is abandoned by Isaac because of Isaac's own spinelessness and indecision, all the other characters are dead, and the bad-guys are in a better position than they were at the beginning of the book.
>>
>>52242839

Oh dude i remember those books. For some reason the last one i read took place in an alternate reality and it ended with a picture of what was happening when the last book ended and basocally implied the people of that world were gonna go help the main characters.

Also wasn't the main character imaginary?
>>
>>52242674
Small world. First time I read it was in a university sci-fi lit class too. Dalhousie University?

And I loved it because of the setting mostly, as said by >>52242709 and >>52242800. Very unlike anything I've ever read at the time.
>>
>>52242862
>The Bronze Age comic.
You have good taste anon.
>>
>>52242769
>Not mentioning the fact that half the books are devoted to the animals feasting or eating some random shit or the rabbit complaining that he didn't get enough to eat
He even wrote a Redwall cookbook
>>
>>52242918

>Dalhousie

Anyone know what happened with those protests? Did the kids get off safe, or dis thy manage to steal their personal information?
>>
>>52242839
>>52242912
Is that the book series where Dragons can only fly at night and Brownies eat mushrooms?

>>52242918
Ryerson, actually.
>>
>>52242839
The publishers might demand more books
The author might just straight up want more money
There may be pressure on the author (external, or an internal need) to have each book (or elements, like the villain) bigger and better than the last
The author might have been inspired by something mid-series, but not want or be able to make a new book just for the idea so just shoehorns it in
The author might lose focus and start to go off-track, but still have a contract
The fans might howl and demand more and more of their favourite characters
The author might lose interest despite the series' popularity

Really there's any number of reasons a series might go off the rails
>>
>>52242943

I wouldn't say half, but yes, as befits a medieval series, the food was important dressage for the setting.

Also "the rabbit" so you didn't read the series, got it. Which rabbit, motherfucker?
>>
>>52242912
I think that the author was really into the whole "If you believe in it hard enough, it will come true" idea. I think the main character was real at first, but then when he died his daughter believed so hard he came back to life, but really he was imaginary I think.
>>
>>52242754
A Le Guinn is a type of feathered lizard from the Galapagos, fairly unknown outside it. In the language of the locals, it means "Bringer of Heat", since its distinctive mating calls during late spring were seen as heralding the coming of summer. On some islands, the Le Guinns would be given sacrifices of fish and bananas, neither of which they eat, funnily enough.
>>
>>52242950
>dragons can only fly at night
That's a cornelia funke book. Dragon Rider?
>>
>>52242950

No, that was dragon rider. We're talking about the fire within. Good first book, quality drops a little over the next 2-3, then everything goes to shit very quickly as madness sets in. Series had atleast three solid stopping points but it refused to pick one.
>>
>>52242754
"Le Guinn" was 19th century Parisian slang for the male child prostitute industry that operated throughout the catacombs and therefore out of the reach of the law.
>>
>>52242971
>>52243006
I feel a new meme coming on...
>>
>>52242969

No no no dude, they tracked down the address he gave as his hone address, here had never been a house there, and the little girls dad later tells us he wrote him into existence with the dragon claw, then it turns out hes a half-alien hybrid. Im remembering so much now, oh my god, i have to see where this series ended up going.
>>
>>52241655
The one about the retard than ends an over-powered gladiator, sand-ships and underworld pacific neolitic farmers?
>>
>>52242754
It's a type of seafood linguine popularlised by Bonaventure Guinn Louis, duc d'Arachon, the second cousin (and homosexual lover) of King Louis XII.
>>
>>52242950
No, that was Dragon Rider, by the same author as Inkheart.

Was pretty cool, at least what I remember of it - I thought an alchemically created dragon-hunting monster that can basically teleport through water was pretty rad
>>
>>52241397

>No the Hobbit
>Nothing by Lloyd Alexander
>Nothing by Susan Cooper

1/10 shit.
>>
>>52242754
it's the last name you'll hear before you die
>>
>>52243060
It's overlong and kind of kitchsy, but it's ok.
>>
>>52242967
every fucking rabbit that comes along. It was a big character trait, but got really old after the third book you read in which this happens.
>>
File: Uglies_book.jpg (54KB, 425x596px) Image search: [Google]
Uglies_book.jpg
54KB, 425x596px
Probably one of the cooler dystopian young adult series I read. But goddamn it the ending pissed me off. It didn't really turn crazy because it stopped after three books. The author also wrote the Leviathan books, which had the steampunk versus biomechanical creatures and a crazy tesla.
>>
>>52243039
I remember it ending with him getting god powers, merging with his twin sister, and killing old-lady Sauron.
>>
>>52243062
The list is designed to appeal to the 20-28 year old males who make up most of /tg/. They were kids in the mid 2000s when these books were being released, and so have more nostalgia and affection for them than other classics of the genre.
>>
>>52243072
Uglies should have gotten big, not Hunger Games.

>>52243072
Leviathan is the most /tg/ setting imaginable. Steampunk Central Powers vs Biopunk Allies in WW1 with a reverse-trap protagonist? Sign me the fuck up.
>>
>>52241330
I was at least aware enough to know that the last book was awful. Roman's stuff was okay, but anything involving Eragon was just: "and then he killed like a hundred more dudes and it soooooo cool!" And then the bloody ending?! Galbatorix didn't consider that anyone might be upset by his plan to take over middle earth, so when our intrepid heroes told him so, he got triggered and just.. left? Or something? Then they convince the not!Uruk Hai that the Olympic games are waaaay cooler than their whole ancient warrior culture thing, and then Eragon is going to bang not!Arwen, but then he doesn't and he goes off east instead, but then he comes back and does nothing, but then he leaves again. Why?! reeeeeEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>52243069

Not the one in Mattimeo, which is the one i read most recently.
>>
>>52243072
How come this is so unheard of but The Hunger Games launched an entire literary trend for a while?
>>
>>52242983
Indeed it is, and a stellar book at that too, if memory serves me right
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 1600x1311px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 1600x1311px
>>52243124
It's also got Keith Thompson doing art, so that's another point in it's favor.
>>
>>52243096
>implying this is, and should be the end all and be all of good /tg/ literature
>>
>>52243145

Wow okay, the ending was shit but you didn't understand... Any of it. For one, galbatorix vaporized hinself, for another, the orc dudes agreed to the shit they agreed to because they knew it was either change their culture or go extinct(as was previously discussed multipke times in the books), and Erragon left becausemmm well, thats a really good fucjing question. I think he thought that immortals didn't have any place in the lands of men? Ignoring that the elves are already there, of course.
>>
File: MBT_blog_bg_Europe-04.jpg (105KB, 1024x799px) Image search: [Google]
MBT_blog_bg_Europe-04.jpg
105KB, 1024x799px
>>52242774
>Foundling

An orphan (a Foundling) is recruited/drafted into an Imperial order of Lamplighters, who walk the roads at night and keep the lamps lit in order to keep monsters away.

The first book is his trip to their fortress base and the misadventures that ensue, primarily after meeting pic related, who's a low-tech genetically altered monster hunter. Europe is a wonderful woman and probably one of the carrying factors in the book.

Book 2 is about him actually being a Lamplighter, and features less of her, but she makes some (important) appearances.

Book 3 has a lot more Europe, but it goes into some pretty meh moral areas, making it kind of bad in comparison to the other books.
>>
>>52241926
Nothing, because he didn't write that. It's pasta.
>>
>>52243093
Yup, fucking weird shit, I tough I was the only one than read it.
>>
>>52243226
>Imperial order of Lamplighters, who walk the roads at night and keep the lamps lit in order to keep monsters away
Isn't there a quest about that on /qst/?
>>
File: my nigga.png (256KB, 552x464px) Image search: [Google]
my nigga.png
256KB, 552x464px
>>52243124
>>52243204
>The Leviathan
>>
>>52243240
I really liked it, tho. That part in the last book where he unlocks his god powers, starts seeing 4-dimentionally, and takes a spoonful out of a wooden table was cool as all hell.
>>
>>52243243
wouldn't be surprised, there's a nice map attached with the book, and the world building is the strongest aspect of the series.
>>
>>52243250
That freaking ship with legs in the first book, freaking awesome artistry
>>
File: behemoth.jpg (140KB, 906x960px) Image search: [Google]
behemoth.jpg
140KB, 906x960px
>>52243281
>Forgetting the fucking Behemoth
>>
>>52243072
Wait, is this series good? Because whoever wrote the tagline/description on the back, seemed like they were trying their best to make it sound like trash.
>>
File: SMS Beowolf.jpg (221KB, 571x897px) Image search: [Google]
SMS Beowolf.jpg
221KB, 571x897px
>>52243281
Keith Thompson is pretty great

This ship?
>>
>>52242754
An angry man-hating lesbian feminist. So, you know, a pretty standard one.
>>
File: The_Monstrumologist.jpg (41KB, 314x474px) Image search: [Google]
The_Monstrumologist.jpg
41KB, 314x474px
Time for a paradigm shift into horror fantasy.
What does /tg/ think of this trilogy?
>>
>>52243298
Thats the one
>>
>>52242861
I too like perfectly adequate things. Dominoes pizza, coors light, any tv show past season 6.
>>
>>52243297
lol I know, right? I always saw that book in the library and never picked it up because I thought it was shallow teen girl literature.
>>
>>52243304
Never read it, without spoiling it, why should I try it?
>>
>>52243298
I am a total whore for those little dimples on mecha. That and those really stark seams and lines on machinery in 80s-90s japanese scifi anime.
>>
>>52243215
I'll level with you, I read them quite a long time ago, so mostly it's forgetfulness. But to be honest, none of the things you said makes it seem any less stupid.
>>
>>52243304
>horror fantasy.
Where does Darren Shan fit into that?

Vampire one was a bit lame with a wtf ending, Demonata was better but a bit mad - very much a series to be read when you're in an edgy phase methinks
>>
>>52243297
It's an actually surprisingly well handled science fiction satire of our appearance and celebrity obsessed culture, written for YAs.
>>
>>52241423
>>52241706
>>52241766
my melanin enriched brothers of superior taste. i checked out the bart books from the library alot as a kid.
>>
>A discussion of good YA literature
>the only mention of animorphs is to wonder why it hasn't been mentioned yet
I join the eternal cycle
>>
>>52243324
I'll try my best not to fangasm.
It's the only YA series in recent years to get horror right.
It's a journal of an apprentice to Pellinore Warthorpe, a monstrumologist. (one who studies monsters) The monsters are inventive and interesting, and the description of them will stick with you for years.
>>
>>52243304
First and second book were fantastic, third and fourth were let downs (muh abyss, muh deadliest animal), especially the fucking epilogue. Every book was still good though.
>>
Spiderwick was decent.
>>
>>52243371
>a discussion of good YA literature
No need to wonder why Animorphs hasn't been mentioned. Because it's shit.
>>
>>52243324
Every book in that series made me scared of the dark. Definitely horror done right.
>>
>>52243371
>good YA literature
>>
File: Haacobin_lifeguard.jpg (62KB, 316x492px) Image search: [Google]
Haacobin_lifeguard.jpg
62KB, 316x492px
>>52243243
I found it but I'm not sure it's the same universe, though I haven't read through all of the threads. Looks considerably more like a darker fantasy.

Like >>52243268 said though, a quest would be likely considering the setting of the books. The Half-Continent did a great job of setting itself up.
>>
>>52243400
found the controller
>>
>>52243400
It was written like a TV show and that really bothered me.
>>
>>52243399
Agreed. I liked all the fey shit. Good art, too. That encyclopedia book was top tier.
>>
>>52243381
Well, Monsters and hunters are my pet peeve, I will read any bestiary for stupid it is.
Okay anon you win, I will get them.

Anyone has read the Spook books? I got mixed feeling with it, but I liked it. The movie doesn't exist.
>>
>>52243386
I didn't know they made a fourth book. I may read that at some time. I definitely agree the third book was a let down. He hyped up everything and at the end it more resembled a nature documentary than a horror novel. I also feel that book was the most preachy.
>>
File: Fablehaven.jpg (48KB, 336x500px) Image search: [Google]
Fablehaven.jpg
48KB, 336x500px
I'm curious, what does /tg/ think of Fablehaven?
>>
>>52243522
I seriously enjoyed the first one, at least. The concept of a fey wildife reserve is interesting, and watching it all fall apart was good fun.
>>
>>52243522
It was alright, the protagonists were flatter than a piece of paper though.
>>
>>52243069
You stupid faggot; hares aren't rabbits!
>>
>>52243490
Fourth book was incredibly short and felt like it was only made to end the series. I think it came out after he wrote "The Fifth Wave" so he probably just wrapped up the series to focus on a more profitable franchise.
>>
>>52241559
Is that image organized by how likely I am to see them in a literature course or something?
>>
>>52243663
you got me there. It's been 10 years since I've picked up a Redwall book. I'm pretty much just shitting on the series because certain things frustrated me as a kid even though I really enjoyed the books.
>>
File: 1481157693727.jpg (44KB, 250x750px) Image search: [Google]
1481157693727.jpg
44KB, 250x750px
>>52243698
Man, I remember reading Outcast of Redwall and just kinda quitting the series for a bit when I was ten. I was legitimately salty as fuck at the ending.
>>
>>52243741
Is that cat just a badass? it looks like he's literally walking on the spikes, or is it spaced just to harm humans?
>>
>>52243773
It's a thick wall, and there's just a single row of spikes in the middle. Plenty of space for his paws on either side.
>>
>>52243781
Oh so it is just for humans. Still it makes that cat look like a badass, and odds are he, or possibly she, is.
>>
>>52243124

One thing that pisses me off about Leviathan is that Clankers have "realistic" problems like pollution and fuel logistics and mechanical stress, while the Darwinists don't. If you use animals for all your industry, then the streets of your cities will be paved with dung, keeping them all fed and tame is a logistical nightmare, and say goodbye to "ecological stability" as your critters run off into the wild and smash the food chain.
>>
>>52243069
You could say that about every species in Redwall though. Every animal species got stereotyped like fucking crazy. It's probably my only gripe with the series but there's just no room for any kind of doubt when you read the book because you just know that every mouse, hare, badger, mole, and squirrel will always be good and that every rat, fox, cat, stoat and ferret will always be evil or at the very least a fucking asshole. I think Jacques only subverted that once with the book about the ferret.
>>
>>52242754
An obscene dance Haitian slaves often practiced in order to insult their masters. Little is known about what the dance actually entails, since French texts would not describe le guinn, as "it was too foul to be put to print." All that can be gathered is that the dance was so lurid, it was punishable by death if ever done in front of a white man.
>>
>>52244056
And then the poor ferret got a miserable life anyway.
>>
>>52241397
>No Septimus Heap series.

Faggots, the whole lot of you are faggots.
>>
Someone should screen cap the Le Guin chain
>>
>>52241423
Why has no one brewed Artemis Fowl rules for Shadowrun?

>inb4 you don't even need to brew
>>
>>52244402
Because it's a shit setting loosely based off of james bond and mission impossible shenanigans
>>
>>52241397
>Bartimaeus

I love ya.
>>
File: No_Fun_Allowed.png (228KB, 292x310px) Image search: [Google]
No_Fun_Allowed.png
228KB, 292x310px
>>52244454
>>
>>52243943
It was very biased, like at no point it seems like the clankers could have ever won. Like the chicken walkers should have been effectively impervious to anything that the allies could have brought. You have super bears, lovely, can they bite through plate armour? No? Well thats too damn bad. The war should have basically been a tower defense game for the clankers
>>
>>52244575
The whole point of the book was to be cool as shit. Sure I agree with you that there's plot holes, but should you really be focusing on that?
>>
File: 1480284622489.jpg (985KB, 1200x1553px) Image search: [Google]
1480284622489.jpg
985KB, 1200x1553px
eragon is my favourite bad book meme

it just keeps giving
>>
>>52243250
I enjoyed Leviathan a lot. However Behemoth fell flat, mostly because it ignored all the more interesting plot strands from the first book in favour of giving the characters a starring role in the Young Turk Revolution. A revolution which in our history had already suceeded in 1908 OTL.

Now I know it's an alternate history and all, but having the protagonists waste an entire book to solve a problem that didn't even need to exist in the first place in a fairly lacklustre way when they could have been having much more interesting dieselpunk WW1 adventures felt like such a waste.

It was still better than Goliath though, which was a wild goose chase and more wasting perfectly good plot and setting elements.

I wouldn't be half as critical if I didn't have so much fun with the first book, but the rest of the series was a let down. The art though was always top notch so that is something.
>>
>>52241706
Airman, The Supernaturalist, and Artemis Fowl were all great. Benny and Omar gets a little darker, but it's still pretty good.

Was I the only one that thought his Hitchhiker's Guide Sequal wasn't bad at all?
>>
>>52244863
>Was I the only one that thought his Hitchhiker's Guide Sequal wasn't bad at all?

it was alright. it was inevitably going to fall flat against the original books but truth be told Mostly Harmless wasn't that good either. at least we get an ending that isn't 'everyone dies lol'
>>
>>52241397

>storm thief

Holy fuck, I thought I was like, one of three people total who had actually read that book.

That book was ahead of its time. If it had been written during the late 2000s YA post apocalypse boom it would have been so much more popular.

Also, Edge Chronicles is fucking top tier.
>>
>>52241397
>The Old Kingdom

Fuuuuck me I loved that series, especially the first. Why hasn't that been turned into a movie - the whole death world thing sounded so dope.
>>
>>52244943
The Tertiary Phase was the turning point, where Adams retconned the entire Secondary Phase just to squeeze in a rewrite of his unused Dr Who scripts. It was still amusing and the Quandary Phase had a certain charm but that's where the series slowly sauntered downwards.
>>
>>52244575
>You have super bears, lovely, can they bite through plate armour? No? Well thats too damn bad
IIRC they actually can though. Hell, they have bats that literally eat steel and shit flechettes on the enemy, and it's demonstrated a hell of a lot of times that Darwinists have naval superiority with their kraken and kappa. Wouldn't be surprised if they had war mammoths with armor as tough as a tank's, or just release trained lizards en masse with bombs strapped to their backs to kamikaze Clanker vehicles.
>>
>>52242754
An author of a fuckawesome fantasy series called Earthsea that should be required reading for fa/tg/uys by now
>>
>>52241330
Yeah I loved them as a kid but when I got older I realized how bad hey were. I don't think its a terrible series but its just not very good.
>>
>>52244863
Better than Mostly Harmless.
>>
File: rumor of dragons.jpg (29KB, 232x346px) Image search: [Google]
rumor of dragons.jpg
29KB, 232x346px
Remember that time they split up dragonlance chronicles into smaller books and marketed them towards children?
>>
>>52241397
>Bartimaeus
[NOSTALGIA INTENSIFIES]
>>
is there a green text whit all the bad things from eragon?
>>
>>52241559
>so many people don't know it's pasta
>>
>>52244976
>Storm Thief wasn’t an easy one to write because the enclosed world of Orokos was quite a task to build in my head. Everything had to make sense: the history, the economy, even how they managed to feed themselves. As usual, while writing it I got to a point where I wished I’d never started, and I wanted to run my hard drive over an electromagnet and never think of Orokos or Rail or Moa again because they had given me so much grief. And also as usual, I got through it, and when it was finally done and I got the bound copies I decided that I loved it again. Getting through that bit in a book, that’s the part that separates the men from the boys.

some trivia
>>
>>52245285
The footnotes, man. The footnotes are so fucking great.
>>
>>52245323

Storm Thief had a god tier setting, so it was clearly worth it.
>>
>>52245133
It does somewhat kill the dramatic tension though when you turn a conflict synomous with bloody stalemates and futile attacks resulting in death on a collosal scale that dragged on for years into a rather more one-sided affair where the Darwinists have a marked advantage due to the author's favor.

Ideally the two sides would be more evenly matched in terms of technology but as the other anon said, the Darwinists get a free pass on the logical downsides or difficulties of bio-engineering while the Clankers have their weaknesses acknowledged and exploited.
>>
>>52245285
Essential reading for playing a Spirit-controlling hermetic style wizard.
>>
>>52241510
source?
>>
>>52243547
>>52243585
Would it make a good setting for a TTRPG?
>>
>>52242037
Not that anon, but Aunt Pol reminded me of my mother when I was growing up. Terrifyingly so. To the point that your post made me uncomfortable.
>>
File: 1389217040988.jpg (39KB, 848x480px) Image search: [Google]
1389217040988.jpg
39KB, 848x480px
>>52241559
>tfw I've only been on /lit/ once for about 30 seconds because I misclicked about 7 years ago.
>I still recognize this as a /lit/ pasta.
>>
>>52245461
Official Artemis Fowl graphic novel adaptation, but with the speech bubbles edited.
>>
Enchanted Forest Chronicles.
>>
>>52243522
I'm too afraid of them being terrible to go back and check. I loved them when I was younger, but I was also a moron back then. I know that Mull wasn't afraid to kill off characters though, which puts him head-and-shoulders above most fiction authors, young adult or not.
>>
>>52241696

Fuck yes Broken Sky. This book is like half the inspiration for my insane shit.
>>
>>52245380
OTOH the entire war ends in about a year, maybe less, so the mass deaths and futility of combat the First World War had don't really exist. Not even in a one-sided affair, just that all of Germany's allies pull out of the war because of the book's plot, forcing them to sue for peace or be crushed from both the east and the west.
>>
>>52241696

Broken Sky was dope as fuck.

>Tfw we'll never get an anime of it
>>
>>52241330
Cancel them
>>
>>52246045
It worked for the movies, I suppose.
>>
>>52246230
>Eragon the book is a mediocre-at-best fantasy novel that rips off a few different other fantasy series.
>Eragon the movie was so fucking bad and mistreated the source material so much that the author refused to sign for any sequels.
How fucking bad you gotta be.
>>
>>52246045
>trying to stay on topic in a /tg/ thread
>>
>>52241397
>His Dark Materials
Fedora Propaganda GET OUT REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Give your kids David Gemmell you cultureless savage.
>>
>>52246260
I attribute this to the fact that Paolini wrote this when he was like, what? 14? He obviously had no formal experience and his books were just barely competent enough to not be laughed out of the publisher's office. If he wrote these in his mid-20s, the quality of the books would have been much better.
>>
>>52241330
We might as well go all the way with star wars ripoffing and have the rebel army suffer a sound defeat next winter and after that our intrepid heroes must save one of their comrades from the clutches of a local crime boss who has him petrified in stone by magic.

After that we start a prequel series which follows Galbatorix and how a far away asianesque culture engages in a trade war with a local nation, after which we get to the next book which is about a huge war between the asianesque land and Alagaesia.
And then the final book where Galbatorix mind controls the entire magically created army of super soldiers and kills off the dragon riders.
After that we let the setting rot for years, letting other people expand the universe, after which we sell the rights to disney and declare all of the expanded universe non-canon and start a TV-series which is all about a group of no name rebel warriors who join the rebel army few years prior to the first book.
>>
>>52246283
His parents were publishers, that's why it got published.
>>
>>52246330
I see.
But how did that one ungodly book series get published? You know the one, the something about bridges... Ah yes, the Maradonia saga!
>>
>>52246283
>the publisher's office. I
His parents were the publishers, and the age he actually finished them at was greatly downplayed (though I'll give you he started young)

Still can't believe the "muh teenager first book lel" is being peddled as an actual selling point
>>
>>52246295
Star Wars Rebels is actually good, though. More importantly, it's an indirect sequel to the Clone Wars cartoon.

>>52246283
My major point of disbelief is that the movie was such a bad adaptation of a relatively simple book that the author told them to fuck off with no hope of a sequel.

CGI quality aside, it's not as if the plot or cinematography is all that complicated in the first book. The foreshadowing bits are obvious, the "iconic" scenes are easily composed cinematically, and the segments that can be skimmed are also obvious. The book was practically "Baby's First Movie Adaptation Fodder" and they still fucked it up hardcore.
>>
>>52241397
Bartimaeus is one of the best damn things I've read. The perspective and footnotes are great.
>>
>>52246396
Id say Rebels quality varies greatly.
Hell, latest episode was Ezra being a retard and going after Maul, again, only to get almost killed by sand people and then by the desert.
Im still not sure what to think of the duel between Ben and Maul, on one hand it was very short, but on the other hand it worked pretty well showing us the way Ben is now fighting.
>>
>>52241397
CHRONICLES OF ANCIENT DARKNESS! SOMEONE ELSE HAS READ IT!
>>
>>52245479
Yes, but IMO it would be best if the PCs are children or juveniles in some way.
>>
>>52246465
I haven't seen any of Season 3 yet because I'm having trouble getting a hold of downloads for it, and streaming's a non-option for me.

Having seen the first two seasons, though, I'd say that Rebels is definitely variable, although its highs deviate more than its lows do.
>>
File: image.jpg (19KB, 211x254px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19KB, 211x254px
>>52241397
What does /tg/ think of Garth Nix's other works, namely The Seventh Tower and The Keys to the Kingdom series?
>>
>>52246551
Want me to give you a rundown of the season?
>>
>>52246590
Sure. I've heard Ezra got a stupid haircut and that he's starting to edge it up towards the Dark Side, which I figured would happen with the S2 Finale. I also heard Thrawn is in.
>>
>>52246626
Ok, so yes, in first two parter episode we are few years in after the whole light saber helicopters incident.
Kanan has no eyes and wears some sorta eye shield, Ezra was going towards the dark side but after the first two episodes he stopped doing that.
Thrawn is introduced and he is going around gathering intel and art to learn of his enemies, most of the time basically jobbing for the a-team so they can retreat to safety while Thrawn is slowly but surely finding out the whole of the rebel fleet/their base.
Wedge Antilles gets introduced in an episode where Sabine infiltrates an imperial flight academy to bust out few cadets who don't see eye to eye with the empire.
Maul makes some appearances and almost gets Ezras pals killed in a cave on Dathomir where some witch ghosts take over Kanan' and Sabines bodies.
After that shitshow Sabine finds the dark saber within Mauls stash and few episodes later she goes to Mandalore where she tries to get her family on her and rebellions side.
They are now and Sabine is contemplating whether to become the new mandalore or not.
We discovered that Kallus is the new Fulkrim and has been helping the rebellion.
Thrawn notices that there is a spy among his forces and starts investigating, Ezra tries to extract Kallus but after framing a lieutenant he decides to stay behind and help the rebels, while Thrawn reveals to interrogator that the knows that the real traitor is Kallus.
Then there was an episode where rebels help Mon Mothma escape the empire and get her to summon an entire rebel fleet to the Dantooine system.
The droids get some shit to do and Chopper gets mind controlled by some imperial operators who die in the same episode when Hera sends a feedback pulse through chopper.

Cont...
>>
>>52246567
I love both equally.
>>
File: 1459893250951.jpg (43KB, 214x329px) Image search: [Google]
1459893250951.jpg
43KB, 214x329px
>>52245673
>>
>>52246762
Then we get to the latest episode, next week we get the two parter season finale.
In this episode, Maul contacts Ezra again, luring him to Tatooine so that he could lure Obi wan out.
During the episode Ezra loses an A-wing to the sand people who blast it, almost dies to them, then wanders off to the desert without any survival gear in the middle of the day, gets surprised by a sand storm and almost dies, only to wake up the following night to discover that Obi wan has built a fire next to him and has recharged depleted chopper who snuck in with Ezra.
After that Maul arrives and Ben sends Ezra away on a dewback.
Some back and forth between Ben and Maul ensues and then they fight for whole three seconds after which Maul gets hit and dies on the arms of Ben.
Next episode there should be rebels attempting to liberate Lothal and Thrawn attempting to annihilate rebels and their base.
/swco/ is taking in bets currently for what is to happen in those two episodes.

Then for the shit i forgot to mention in the previous post!
>Iron squadron
A group of teens fly a Correllian freighter and throw bombs at imperial ships
>Hera's Heroes
Rebels visit Ryloth, extract Heras dad and almost get killed by Thrawn
>The Last Battle
Rex, Kanan and Ezra walk into a lucrehulk droid carrier... i forget the rest but the punchline is banana
>Imperial Supercommandos
Imperial mandalorians killed off some other mandalorians and the one rebels captured joins the rebel cause
>The Wynkahthu Job
Hondo tries to fool the ghost crew into helping him get a treasure from an abandoned imperial freighter, they run into dark troope... SENTRY DROIDS and almost die.
>The Holocrons of Fate
Ezra is visited by Maul while he is talking with Bentu, a force sensitive giant creature that is helping him find the balance, then he and maul fuse a sith holocron and a regular holocron together and get mindfucked by the holocron into knowing some stuff, like "twin suns" and "Obi wan kenobi" and such

Cont...
>>
What the fuck is it with YA series and the fourth book? It happened to Maximum Ride as well, the first 3 books were fantastic and then the 4th book was literally a "Very Special Episode" about global warming and all the kids got new superpowers for no reasons and the DOG GREW WINGS FOR ABSOLUTELY NO GODDAMN REASON

WHY WERE THEY IN ANTARCTICA AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
>>
Said it before, I'll say it again:

>Here's how you make Eragon interesting:

>Everyone agrees Eragon is a Mary Sue.
>And mostly everyone points out that the entire concept is flawed.

>Now imagine if Eragon was written as the tale of Emperor Eragon sitting atop his throne in the ruins of what was once the great empire speaking to his remaining warriors, telling them of why they are here at this last stand, as the armies of his erstwhile allies batter down the gates; because the Varden were a group of terrorists, the Dragon riders were dictators and after he ended Galbitorix, they turn on him, tearing apart the empire with in fighting and bloody violence, putting all his 'heroic' and sociopathic actions into the context of him basically being used by a group of Terrorists and a race of murderous immortal Wizard-Elves to break the back of the one chance humanity had to pull itself out the shadow pf the dragon riders.
>Suddenly everything that goes on in the books is much more interesting because its put in the light of his inevitable fuck up and all the horrors he committed would be validated by 'He's a kid being played by a bunch of ruthless terrorists', leading up to the ending where he fights to the last trying to protect the last semblance of civilization from the Barbarian at the gate.
>Wouldn't that make Eragon interesting?
>>
>>52242826
God is explicitly a liar and former tyrant, though
>>
>>52246567
>tfw I know his niece IRL and she won't stop stalking me even though she knows I hate her
>why.jpg
>>
>>52246946
NOTE: stuff in previous post and current one aren't in chronological order.

>An Inside Man
Exra, Kanan and some expendable rebel infiltrate a factory on Lothal, a rebel blows up on a sabotaged imperial speeder, plans for TIE defenders are found and Kallus confesses his loveto Ez... i mean tha rebellion.
>Ghosts of Geonosis
The A-team gets sent to geonosis where another group of rebelswere investigating some shit, they got ambushed by a lone geonosian going full vietkong on their asses.
>Warhead
Thrawn sends assassin droids that look like protocol droids to seek out and/or off the rebels.
>Trials of the Darksaber
Sabine training to use the edgy lightsaber

And that about covers it.
I should have gone through these the way i did in the two latter ones and in a chronological order, but im sleepy and its 3AM around here.
>>
File: 1429574185533.png (109KB, 264x267px) Image search: [Google]
1429574185533.png
109KB, 264x267px
>>52244769
>It was still better than Goliath though, which was a wild goose chase and more wasting perfectly good plot and setting elements.
>MFW
Not only does Tesla turn out to be a crazy bad guy, he dies for no reason except to stop him from activating a weapon which scares the Germans into suing for peace. Then the series ends, the Prince gives up his right as Emperor, more adventures of him with his tomboy girlfriend and their supergenius ladyboss are promised and never delivered on. I was pretty mad at that ending.

The stopovers in Russia and Japan were immensely aggravating, even as a kid. I desperately wanted to see what Darwinist enhanced Russia looked like, because it might've been enough to keep the Czar in power. Instead we get starving giant bears (which Keith Thompson made look incredibly eerie, so that made up for a bit) a two headed eagle and shuffled off with Tesla to Japan. When they arrive there it's clearly meant to be a moral lesson on combining darwinist technology with clanker tech, as if the Japanese were supposed to be most moral and thoughtful people around. Even the USA barely gets to show anything.

All three draws of the series, its darwinist and clanker technological paradigms, World War I, and the silly reverse-trap romance all barely get a pay-off. Keith Thompson saves the whole thing and makes it all worth it. God bless that weirdo
>>
>>52246970
I would assume the series you are referring to were probably originally intended to be a trilogy (problem, conflict, resolution) but because of MUH MONEY, they pull some random shit out of their ass to justify another book. Pretty broad generalization, I know.
>>
>>52247037
>>52246946
>>52246762
Sounds like a wacky time.

>Maul just fucking dies in Ben's arms because...closure I guess?
This is really the only issue I have. Maul at the end of S2 sounded like he had some grand scheme to take down the empire. Obviously that wasn't going to end up amounting to anything worthwhile, but it would've been nice for him talking about "the endgame" to have been worth ANYTHING.

Instead it sounds like he wanted revenge, fucked around for a while, and then decided "fuck it let's kill Kenobi" as a consolation prize and got rekt for his efforts.
>>
This seems like a good thread to voice my opinions. I think a Gormenghast campaign would be lit as fuck. Anyone else agree?
>>
>>52247255
>would be lit as fuck
You mean /lit/ as fuck or that it'd be great? The former implies that all the players would be pretentious douchebags, latter means it'd be awesome
>>
>>52242861
That series should come with a warning for impressionable young people. To this day I blame it for my cravings for redheads.
>>
>>52247255
I have that book sitting on my bookshelf. never read past page 10. Is it any good?
>>
anyone ever read that book about the bats?
>>
>>52247348
yes, I read maybe 3 of the books. It was discount Warriors (even that got old) and I regret sticking with it for so long.
>>
>>52241397
No Redwall?
>>
File: 210250.jpg (27KB, 311x475px) Image search: [Google]
210250.jpg
27KB, 311x475px
>>52246567
>The Seventh Tower
Fucking great. Loved it, though I do think it had a bit of a weak villain.

>The Keys to the Kingdom
It was neat but I lost interest by the end of Wednesday.

Anyone read pic related? Good shit.
>>
>>52241397

>No Chronicles of Narnia
>No The Hobbit
>No Phantom Tollbooth
>No Treasure Island
>No Alice Through the Looking Glass
>No The Once and Future King

Absolutely Pleb Tier List
>>
File: Tuntum.jpg (214KB, 1066x931px) Image search: [Google]
Tuntum.jpg
214KB, 1066x931px
Chris Riddel has to be one of my most favorite illustrators. He was really good at conveying charm and personality in some of the most outlandish creatures possible. Also pic related is the best protagonist of the series.
>>
>>52241655
Jesus Christ I just remembered I read that. I've had an unidentified fantasy series in my memories for years but I've never been able to remember the name or any other details beyond psychic powers and everyone being enslaved. It was the sequel to that book right there.

Does anyone know which series had the protagonist build a magic rainbow bridge between dimensions using dragon scales? I think it involved wishes, and the protagonist could shape shift.
>>
>>52241817
Your copypasta has gone a bit stale.
>>
>>52241397
>bartimaeus trilogy

great taste, just reread for some nostalgia
>>
>>52247557
Do you mean these books?
>>52242839
>>
>>52241559
>all these replies to fucking shit pasta

what happened /tg/? what happened?
>>
>>52241423
Met thew man once. He's one hell of a presence IRL.
>>
File: Daine and Numer.png (362KB, 500x677px) Image search: [Google]
Daine and Numer.png
362KB, 500x677px
>>52247557
Only fantasy series I know that had shapeshifters and Dragons in the same book was Wild Magic/The Immortals Quartet

Speaking of which, what does /tg/ think about Tamora Pierce's books?
>>
>>52242504
Idt my 14yo self would've appreciated it but god damn my current self would love that.
>>
>>52247730
Was that supposed to go to a different post?
>>
>>52247837
Shit, yes, the one about eragon dying halfway thru and being a martyr for roran and other people
>>
>>52243290
That thing would collapse under its own weight...
>>
>>52247007
Because she's a stalker and they do not think rationally call Garth and get her some fucking help.
>>
>>52241711
The 4th one is piping hot shit so I ignore it for the most part.
>>
>>52247007
>>52248029
Can I get some context on this?
story time?
>>
>>52248128
There is no context that is required, I simply told that anon to get someone to help his stalker, unless she's cute and or hot, in which case you risk it and fuck her.
>>
>>52248154
>assuming I date people under 5 feet
>assuming that I'm not really close to dating someone who I like a lot more

>>52248128
There's not really much to it, it's just your standard stalking.
>>
>>52247111
Actually, I think your on to something. The Inheritance series was supposed to be a trilogy originally, which probably explains how badly paced the last two books were.

Hell, even good/adult series have this issue. ASOIF was supposed to be a trilogy, which is why the last few books have felt strangely tedious, they were supposed to be the last chapters of book 2 and he realized that he had waaayyyy too many side plots going on to even try to wrap up in a couple of books.
>>
>>52248263
You don't want a cute shortstack you can fuck babies into repeatedly? GET OFF THIS BOARD NOW, YOU DON'T BELONG!

Joking aside, I think you should get her some help, talk to her parents or something, stalkers ain't nothing to fuck around with.
>>
>>52247323

Some of the most descriptive prose I have ever read. Paragraphs that are like painting with words.

It can be extremely hard going at times, but to find those scenes painted in your head will be worth it in the end.

Fuschias room, the walls scrawled in charcoal detailing her plans to burn down the castle, filled with large mossy boulders and the secret passage to the attic behind her bed.

That long classroom with one window, high in far wall, that lets a single shaft of light bathe the students, while the teacher sits in a great armchair in the pitch black shadows beneath, observing unseen.

Mr Flay wandering through the forgotten labyrinths beneath the edifice only to hear the echoing insane laughter of the Twins slowly starving to death in locked room that he never finds.

It's dark and all the characters are grotesque. I simply cannot do it justice.
>>
Okay so say I'm writing a book.
And the protagonist is generic hero's journey shit
Old mentor who dies before he really teaches protagonist the important things
Magical intelligent familiar
Pretty obvious love interest

The protagonist decides he romantically loves his familiar and not the obvious love interest
Too much magical realm or picked-the-fuck-up status?
>>
>>52247538
Holy shit I love these books. All of them. Top tier worldbuilding. These are the only books I ever remember actively coming up with my own stories for, just because I wanted to see every inch of the Edge.
>>
>>52242674
>>52242602
>>52242452
>>52242918

Maybe if I had read anything other than Railsea, I would have liked his stuff. But GOD, how can you manage to be even more boring than Herman Melville when you rewrite Moby Dick with TRAINS?
>>
>>52247449
>pic

already got plenty of praise itt, it was published as the foundling trilogy in USA
>>
>>52243663
>>52243069

This suddenly has me flashing back to EVERY scene in EVERY book where some weasel or other calls a hare a rabbit.

God, I just need to re-read all of 'em, rosengoggles pasted to me face.
>>
>>52243072
His steampunk books are waaaaaaaaayyy better, even if they do jump off the rails and over a shark in the fourth book.
>>
I'm just gonna say Earthsea is fucking amazing and that Le Guin did a damn good job building such a compelling, at a times comfy, world.
>>
>>52244056
The last one he wrote, Rogue Crew, had a pirate ferret get away and live a life of peace after just calling it quits as a villain.

Anybody read his Castaways of the Flying Dutchman series? That shit is fucking ACE, especially if you like high-seas adventure.
>>
>>52249120

What kind of magical intelligent familiar are we talking here?
>>
>>52245673
Boy, don't be hitting my nostalgia buttons so hard.

Dealing With Dragons was the most mind-blowing send-up to fairytales my ten-year-old self had ever encountered.
>>
>>52246396
>>52246283
>>52246260

HOW. THE FUCK. Do you FUCK UP "Star Wars but with Dragons" WHEN YOU HAVE

JEREMY.

FUCKING.

IRONS.

PLAYING OBI-WAN FUCKING KENOBI?!?

Paolini is a wolf-loving granola fuckhead, and his dad is worse, but God even I feel sorry for the guy.

t. angery Montananon
>>
>>52246275
>David Gemmel

Mah nigga.
>>
>>52246567
>Seventh Tower

Hard-light magicians in a caste system corresponding to the visible spectrum and Inuit Vikings face off against shadow-monsters in a setting that looks like a lovechild between The Night Land and Kingdom Hearts.
>>
File: gazed.jpg (168KB, 1033x679px) Image search: [Google]
gazed.jpg
168KB, 1033x679px
>>52241397
>Inkheart
>Mortal Engines
>Artemis Fowl
>>
>>52247528
Anon, that's the Required Reading List, not the KidFic List.
>>
>>52249784
And that's not even mentioning the dreamworld adventureland.
>>
>>52248686
this. What a fucking fantastic book. Cannot recommend it enough
Thread posts: 339
Thread images: 49

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.