[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sup /tg/, I'm curious. How would you do a Digimon-styled

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: 8899.jpg (24KB, 269x143px) Image search: [Google]
8899.jpg
24KB, 269x143px
Sup /tg/, I'm curious. How would you do a Digimon-styled game? With the actual characters not being much more than moral support for the giant monsters that can become bigger monsters with loads of guns strapped on.
>>
use a generic ruleset like FATE or what not

build the digimons as creatures. build the PCs as refluffed mages with only buffing spells and come up with some convoluted digital resource that is spent on buffing digimons like they did in Tamers with the cards and shit

not sure on how to handle digivolution tho. maybe keep track of 'evolution points' that are gained slowly (i.e. equivalent to one Champion digivolution/day, Ultimate takes 3 days worth of points, Mega takes 10 days or something). but aside from that Digimons should level up normally by gaining XP and this makes every form get stronger, reflecting the original series
>>
>>52238614
Use Monsters and Other Childish Things.
>>
If you are worried about the human quickly becoming useless why not have them be their digimon; like in Tamers or Frontier.
>>
>>52238614
The players are statted exclusively for non-combat encounters, whether it's climbing over a fence, sneaking through a facility, or convincing someone to make a trade with you. The monsters, meanwhile, are statted exclusively for combat. Do it with double-sided sheets.
>>
Do you mean just Digimon-styled, or actually Digimon? Because that's been done before.

Obligatory links:
https://discord.gg/cxQdd
http://digimon-digital-adventures.tumblr.com/
>>
>>52238748
Because then you would be playing a superhero game.
>>
>>52238965
>https://discord.gg/cxQdd
Expired
>>
>>52239282
That's your problem.
>>
So I was working on a homebrewed system for this based on Pathfinder and the Summoner. This is what I have so far.

>PCs have no real combative abilities

They can still fight and use weapons and whatnot, but they do not have a real offensive role

>PCs can cast spells

Limited only to buff spells and castable only on his or her own partner

>PCs can support their partners

A couple of ways of boosting their partners combative abilities, such as a sort of link where the PC concentrates on boosting his partner or else granting their partner temporary evolutions.

>PC partners gain evolution points akin to Summoner eidolons

That's where the similarities to the Summoner really end, though.

>PC partners gain the ability to temporarily evolve to higher levels

Just like in 01/02, the base form can evolve to higher levels up to three times (champion, ultimate, mega). Evolving like this is temporary and the partner reverts back to its base form.

>evolutions may end up being locked behind story stuff at first and then free to use after

Just like in 01/02 where something big had to be happening for the partners to unlock their new evolution.
>>
File: tamers_rp.png (86KB, 1070x620px) Image search: [Google]
tamers_rp.png
86KB, 1070x620px
>>
>>52239393
That actually sounds pretty cool, anon.
>>52239839
>only in germany
Out of all the things from this post that would have become outdated, didn't think it would be that.
>>
>>52240203
>outdated
Explain?
>>
>>52240593
They got the dub voice for Tamer's Renamon to voice the character in the vidya game Digimon World Next Order. Thing is, the Renamon in that game is a guy.
>>
>>52240880
So? It's not the same character.
>>
>>52239393

I've also considered removing the spellcasting ability of this new Tamer class and instead implementing a different ability that functions basically the same but doesn't involve casting spells. Basically there's a list of abilities that the characters can choose from similar to a spell list, they can choose a number of those abilities as they level up and then funnel those abilities into their partners.

One issue I'm having is trying to decide how much control as a DM I'd have over the partners. As these are intelligent, sentient creatures, they're not a part of the PC like a Summoner's Eidolon is. So I feel like I should control non-combat stuff like what they say, how they act, their personalities just to add to the role play of it. This is going to be about the PCs building bonds with their partners, and I feel like letting them have complete control over everything like that is too artificial and doesn't lend itself to good character growth and development.

Another issue I'm having is going about assigning partners. I don't know if I should go for the full Digimon feel and assign the PCs partners based on their characters or just let them design their own. Basically my options are

>let them have 100% control over all designs, evolutions, abilities, etc
>assign a base form based on their PCs, let them have complete control from there
>assign a base form based on their PCs, I design the evolved forms, they can have control over all other things such as evolution points
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.