[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is alchemy (as in the potion-brewing sort, not transmutation)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: alchemist.jpg (50KB, 365x511px) Image search: [Google]
alchemist.jpg
50KB, 365x511px
Is alchemy (as in the potion-brewing sort, not transmutation) a subset of magic, or is it more akin to chemistry or some other school of science?
>>
File: science will fuck you.jpg (926KB, 1280x1991px) Image search: [Google]
science will fuck you.jpg
926KB, 1280x1991px
>>52236389
Depends on the setting, but here's my take:

It's a science, but the science of magic. So where adding sulfuric acid in varying amounts can either make an organic reaction go or rip apart your molecule, adding 300g of wyvern tooth shavings will cause the potion to be one of wyvern intelligence, not strength.
>>
>>52236494
>It's a science, but the science of magic
This.
The scientific method applied to supernatural forces.
>>
>>52236538

This is my perferred take on it.

Where you might have your typical wizards who join weird cults or maybe even religious types alchemist and Scholars apply the scientific method to magic sort of like how you have Shaman and Mages in Shadowrun
>>
File: oc-022.png (99KB, 800x1066px) Image search: [Google]
oc-022.png
99KB, 800x1066px
>>52236389
I put it as an art which understands mana as a substance instead of an energy like a wizard would.

The magical catalyst will enhance the mixture and even turn the perceived symbolic traits into physical benefits, turning that foul-smeling troll fat and boiled water paste into a healing potion.

My setting's alchemical reference work is named Microalchemy: Investigation with Prophetic Magnification into the Reactions Between Material, Elemental and Abstract Components of the Amaranthine Anticonceptional Formulas, by Abu Nagarjuna.
>>
As far as I know the historical distinction between alchemy and chemistry was that alchemy involves the creator in the process, while chemistry doesn't care. In alchemy, the creator's soul is used as a catalyst. Which is why "finding the philospher's stone" can be considered a metaphore for finding enlightement.
>>
>>52236389
It's a practice of using already supernaturally active materials to achieve effects. It's certainly a way of "doing magic," but isn't directly related in practive to magic of the sort that involves working spells or enchanting things, nor does it require the same innate qualities of the user. The ability to sense magic like a magician is certainly of great use to an alchemist, though, so it's not unusual to conflate the two.
>>
Alchemy is when /tg/ becomes real
>>
>>52236494
What's that pic from? My googlefu is weak
>>
>>52237492
nvm found it
>>
What's the difference between dropping magical shit in acid to see what happens and dropping anything in acid to see what happens?
>depends on the setting
>>
>>52236389

I like to have it as extremely convoluted science where reagents, spells, hand movements, astrology, chanting, rituals, netherwinds, ley lines and actual science are all involved and its basically impenetrable to anyone except a dedicated team of multidisciplinary scientists or some mad scientist/wizard with an autistic focus and no sense of right and wrong.

I also like magitek and dungeonpunk, so even if someone figures shit out, science and magic are not sharply divided but everything magical is on huge diminishing returns. For exaple, a simple footsoldier might carry an enchanted water-repellent ammo pouch or mass-issues health potions and scrolls with cantrips. An elite trooper might carry self-sharpening swords, magic elixirs, grenades with magical fuzes and maybe magical payloads but anything above this level is extremely rare and only heroes, dedicated wizards or bad motherfuckers might field it. It also makes a nice sense of progression for the players.
>>
>>52236389
It's kinda like magic, but instead of using your own reserve of magic you use the reserve found in your ingredients.

That's how it works in my setting anyway.
>>
>>52236389
It's a science in a world where magic is real.
In fantasy, you've got dragons breathing fire, giants ignoring the square cube rule, lots of things ignoring the laws of physics. Why? Because almost everything is at least slightly imbued with magic, from minerals to plants to animals to humans (regardless of spellcasting ability).
And it is because the world is imbued with magic that you can collect the right plants, powders, etc. and make a potion which itself is, for all intents and purposes, magic.
>>
>>52236538

Otherwise known as being a Dnd wizard
>>
>>52236389
>potion-brewing
>alchemy
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.