[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey, /tg/, I want to run a game with a Street Fighter vibe -

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

File: 11002ac32a03a4f3053933470e49ba68.jpg (232KB, 1024x663px) Image search: [Google]
11002ac32a03a4f3053933470e49ba68.jpg
232KB, 1024x663px
Hey, /tg/, I want to run a game with a Street Fighter vibe - a bunch of martial artist adventurers with wacky powers trotting the globe to beat up bad guys and prove they're The Strongest. I was thinking of using Mutants and Masterminds, but is there a better system to use? Suggestions appreciated.
>inb4 GURPS
>>
>>52226496
Well, why not use Streetfighter, then? It is a real rpg....or you could try Ninjas and Superspies. These are oldschool games, but they ain't bad.
>>
>>52226496
Wild talents maybe? the ORE toolkit could help you craft one
>>
File: wpid-frontcover1.jpg (558KB, 1275x1650px) Image search: [Google]
wpid-frontcover1.jpg
558KB, 1275x1650px
>>52226496
Street Fighter the Storytelling Game is what you want. It uses the highly versatile White Wolf System.
>>
I'd default to Legends of the Wulin for anything built around high action combat. It's a bitch to actually learn due to an awfully edited core book, but the actual combat is amazing.

If you're looking for something more akin to fighting games in mechanics, there's options but none of them are particularly good. Thrash! and things like it try to emulate fighting game mechanics, but they're always clunky.

I've heard that >>52227196 is less of an awful clusterfuck than Storyteller usually is, but that's not exactly saying much.
>>
>>52227234
> but the actual combat is amazing.
I disagree. My group found the combat to be crazy slow and way to 'meta' - which is to say, combat pulls you out of character as you roll your dice, look at the results, then work out how to make that dice roll into some set of actions for the turn. Rinse and repeat for every character; rinse and repeat for every round of Standard rpg combat is decide action, roll results, and is WAAAAAAAAAYYYY simpler and more elegant.
The LotW way is good if you like meta games, but not if you like immersive ones.
>>
>>52227346

I guess it's just a difference of opinion, I've always found the combat in LotW very immersive. It takes time to get used to the very different combat dynamic- Rolling first, deciding actions afterwards, but I always felt the system was giving me lots of ways to express my character. A bad roll is you being backed into a corner with not many options, figuring out how to make it work or survive a particularly nasty attack, a good roll is a surge of good fortune, an opportunity to exploit for maximum effect.

Then again, LotW is a very narrative system at its core, despite its crunchy mechanics, so if people don't like that sort of narrative stuff I can see not enjoying it. I still think it's a very immersive game, but different things appeal to/break immersion for different people.
>>
File: Gen Street Fighter IV.jpg (99KB, 916x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Gen Street Fighter IV.jpg
99KB, 916x1000px
Legends of the Wulin with a bunch of custom styles, techniques and loresheets
ORE/Wild Talents if you want to keep the power creation elements of M&M
>>
>>52227450
> just a difference of opinion
Yes, I agree: just wanted to be sure everyone got the other opinion. I'm not trying to start a gamefight.
I suppose it takes an eastern/oriental view of things: the flow of luck/chi is represented by the dice and changes every round. I just find this sort of thing to be blindly arbitrary; and while it amps up the gambling aspect of the game, it detracts from the players' ability to plan things out: they don't bother to think strategically because the dice will always render their plans irrelevant.
>>
>>52227618

In my experience, planning is important, but the dice force you to adapt your plan on the fly and improvise. Legends of the Wulin is a system where you can't just play every fight the same way (Unless you're using an overpowered combo from the core book and your GM needs to be shown the Half Burnt Manual errata). Things like Laughs and Fears, secret arts interactions and the environment can have a very significant influence on a fight, and exploiting or adapting to that can be the difference between success and failure.
>>
>>52227234
Thrash and Fight! are actually rewrites of the White Wolf system that are less shit.

But yeah, they are clunky.

I'd just grab a game I like the gameplay of, and go with that.
>>
>>52227618
>>52227659

Boo, what is this civil discourse bullshit?

Start name calling and fighting!
>>
>>52226496
Fight! The Fighting Game RPG if you want to be rather literal about your Street Fighter-esque world.
>>
File: Final Stand.pdf (303KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Final Stand.pdf
303KB, 1x1px
If you want a fun little beer and pretzels thing, this is pretty good.
>>
File: VayhMcG_zpsntjg0ubr.jpg~original.jpg (146KB, 807x1024px) Image search: [Google]
VayhMcG_zpsntjg0ubr.jpg~original.jpg
146KB, 807x1024px
bunmp
>>
>>52226496
Wild Talents. Making the powers will take a minute, but once you have that combat will be simple.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.