[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I've never DMed before, and have only been playing DnD

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: SWEX-e1334179194612.jpg (105KB, 499x691px) Image search: [Google]
SWEX-e1334179194612.jpg
105KB, 499x691px
So I've never DMed before, and have only been playing DnD (5e) for several months, but myself and a friend in the identical situation have decided that we would duo-DM for out next campaign, mostly so our DM can be free from the curse, but also because we have a lot of ideas for this campaign. The thing is, our current DM wants to use pic related instead of DnD, saying DnD isn't really a good system.

After having read through the manual he lent me however, i can't find any fundamental difference. Sure you use cards for initiative, and dmg and skill checks are done slightly differently, but I don't see anything this can do that DnD couldn't. What am I missing? Does he simply not want so much magic so is trying to trick me?

For reference, our campaign is going to be a fantasy pirate setting, so if you know of any good material for like musket varieties or ships I'd appreciate it as well, I've just been looking at what Google points me to
>>
I've been running a no magic medieval Savage Worlds game. I think it's a great system if the DM is burnt out from players not really reading enough to play, which is why I switched my group over. It's also much easier to prepare combat ahead of times and appropriate NPCs can be thrown together on the fly. My biggest issue with it is lack of gear and balanced prices, so I've switched to using some online supplements for that.

Kimberly Chapman equipment list with a little rebalancing is what I use to give my players item variety, a quick Google will bring it up, doesn't have weapons though, for that I use the Pathfinder/3.5 combined equipment book. As far as boat variants, I've got nothing but maybe check out the game Sid Meier's pirates! For different types or a Seventh Sea PDF.

I also don't have minis so we use range bands for combat.

Let me know if you have any questions regarding the system itself though.
>>
>>52193304

I would suggest looking at the Pirates of the Spanish Main book. It is self-contained so you won't need another copy of the rules and is also made to use the Pirates of the Spanish Main pocketmodels, which are just dope. All around decent game and a good jumping off point for a pirate campaign.
>>
>>52194352
So savage world isnt so different from DnD then?
>>
>>52194352
There is also this Savage Armory pdf that does some neat stuff with the weapons and armor.

Adds a way to create weapons and armor. I suggest taking a look at it.
>>
>>52193304
>>52194430

I don't know how you came to the conclusion SW is at all similar to D&D.

I guess you can say it has a lot of similar rules for the same stuff but that's about where it ends.
>It uses a different dice system
>it's class-less
>a different HP system
>a different character generation system
>no alignments
>it's built for a myriad of campaign settings instead of just high fantasy
>caster supremacy is virtually non-existent

Above all though, it's way simpler to run. I guess since you've only ever been a player it makes sense you haven't seen how running D&D is a giant pain. I don't mind D&D but I'd never, ever run it. I find its rules a joke to keep track of even when I'm a player.

But Savage Worlds is incredibly straightforward and above all extremely easy to teach to new players. It does have a few problems though.
>>
>>52194700
I supoose the classless system is a big difference, but i was thinking from a player's perspective what the practical changes are, which just seems to be taking damage is more serious. Dice and modifiers still determine your effectiveness in practically the same way. But I am ready to miss I'm completely missing something
>>
>>52194873

>Dice and modifiers still determine your effectiveness in practically the same way.

That's basically all systems though?

Though there is a pretty sizable difference. Mostly in skills. In D&D you roll a D20 and apply modifiers derived from Attributes.

In Savage Worlds you roll a different die corresponding with how many points you have in an attribute or skill. There's a lot more statistical variance. There's also the Exploding Dice mechanic where you can in theory achieve things like infinite damage.
>>
>>52195075
True, most systems are similiar but i assume other systems have more mechanics besides roll dice and add number. I can see this system is less rng but it is practically the same
>>
What is magic like in SW? Is it flexible? I've been wanting to run a Ars Magicka type game but more action packed (still mage focused though)
>>
>>52195254
But nearly every system uses roll dice add number determine success or failure. There are tons of different ways of doing it but really that's what table top games do. From shit like Candyland to Twilight 2000. So if you're asking for the difference between rolling dice and rolling dice then yes you're right there is little difference. If you're asking for differences with in the system like >>52194700 has pointed out then there are tons more than what they've already listed.

>reliance on skills as opposed to attributes
>different magic/casting system
>different 'AC' system
>different advancement system
>inclusion of chase rules (even if they are worse than previous editions)
>inclusion of vehicle combat
>emphasis on social encounters as well as combat encounters
>emphasis on a more 'tactical' combat
>a notable advantage of range weapons aside from they are ranged
and more.

>>52195386
Magic in SW is a combination of casting rolls and power point management. You have a pool of points you may spend to cast whatever spells you know. You choose your spell note how much it costs to cast and deduct that from your power points, then you roll to cast. You have to hit a 4 or higher on your casting die or wild die with some modifiers. You're average wizard at game start will probably have a casting die of d8-d10 depending on how hard he specializes in casting. So a character will need to hit a 4 or higher on either his wild die (d6 that all PCs get) or his skill die (d8 or d10). So there's a chance of failing but on average you're fine.
>>
>>52195621
But is it flexible is the question I'm asking. What's it like in terms of spell creation?
>>
>>52195386
As for flexibility it's all right. There's a decent sized spell list in the core and in some setting or companion books it expands on that list some. Creating a custom spell shouldn't be too hard. There are also backgrounds and trappings that add flavor and crunch to the spell caster and spells respectively if you want that. So basically in core there's some cool stuff and more stuff in other books but really you have all the tools you need to make and adapt magic to how you want it to be.
>>
>>52195664
>>52195685
It might have rules for spell creation, I need to check my core and fantasy companion again but the system is fairly robust and simple so you should be able to do it by looking at existing spells and basing it off of what you see there.
>>
File: the_crow_by_elistraie-d5udngx.jpg (274KB, 1000x1415px) Image search: [Google]
the_crow_by_elistraie-d5udngx.jpg
274KB, 1000x1415px
>>52195664

It's pretty flexible. I once ran a dark fantasy campaign where I basically just let magic PCs cast whatever they wanted and then made the modifiers exponentially difficult for how outrageous their planned spells were. Worked out pretty well; game never broke or ground to a halt.
>>
>>52195745
>>52195717
>>52195685
How easy would it to append an [adjective] [noun] system?
>>
>>52195875
I'm probably retarded but, what do you mean by an [adjective] [noun] system? But Savage Worlds is pretty flexible so probably pretty easily.
>>
>>52194700

Savage Worlds and D&D are certainly mechanically different, yet I find the feeling of them when playing or running to be very similar.
>>
>>52195989
Ars Magicka has a system where you describe 2 parts of a spell, an adjective (not strictly an adjective in the traditional sense) and a noun, for example CREATE is an adjective, and FIRE is a noun. So if I wanted to create a fireball spell, i'd probably use CREATE FIRE. If I wanted to extinguish it, I'd use DESTROY FIRE.
>>
>>52196406
Okay, yeah it could do that pretty easily. It would just take a moment to figure out what it's power point cost would be and what rank of spell it is. Once you're done figuring out those two things and you'd be good to go.

Though if Ars Magicka is really magic heavy then you'll have to do some tinkering with power points probably. That being said SW has trappings witch can be elemental effects already built into the system so you have a base for what a fire spell would do mechanically.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.