[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm in an interesting position and need advice. DnD at

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_1726.jpg (319KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1726.jpg
319KB, 1280x960px
I'm in an interesting position and need advice.

DnD at a local community center. The group is currently without a dm. I've been offered a position as dm for a group of 4, and will actually be payed for this.

Good right? Well... I've never dm'd before. I have a good idea of how to do it, but I've only ever played a couple games, and that was just as a player. The system is 3.5.

The sticking point: they're all teenagers. Autistic teenagers. Like, actual diagnosed, need handlers at school autism.
One of them has been excitedly telling me about his character.
"He's a swarm of tiny golems who are all a cloud but just one character and his arm can turn into a sword that turns into a buzzsaw, and he's got a pet robot dragon who shoots shotgun blasts and poops grenades. And he can shoot fire."
>wow Andrew, that's pretty cool. That sounds like pretty crazy god tier stuff, how long has the campaign been going?
"Were level 3."

They really want a dm, and I'd get money, but I'm not sure if I'm equipped enough.
>>
This goes against the autism stereotype, but sounds like it's less about the rules and more with having fun with it.

How much can they handle in terms of in game rules? Pay attention to what they like and dislike. Be willing to throw out the rules entirely if they look like they're not having fun.

How much experience do you have taking care of autistic kids?
>>
>>52178065

I wouldn't do it for less than $200 a session, but then I've had experience of being responsible for autistic teenagers and I know I hate it. I think it really comes down to whether you're cut out for the position.
>>
>>52178201
I don't think it actually sounds that bad.
I've only met one of them, but this does feel like a job for rules-fudging have-fun mode.
I'd probably end up running something themed like pic related.

I don't have that much experience. In high school there was an autistic guy who I got very good at talking to and I think he considered me one of his few friends, even if I couldn't stand him.

>>52178270
I've only met one of them, so they might not all be that bad
>>
File: IMG_1743.jpg (210KB, 1024x757px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1743.jpg
210KB, 1024x757px
>>52178518
Forgot image
>>
>>52178201
What this guy said.

I work with autistic adults, so... best thing to do would be to speak to whoever previously worked with them, get as much pre-knowledge as possible. Find out their triggers etc.

Honestly, if they're out in the community, they won't be "that bad", I have a blast at work and it's pretty rewarding. If you want to be cynical about it, think of it as cv building.

Just don't cast Rigid Thinking ;)
>>
>>52178518

The real difficulty will be if one or more of them are the rules-lawyering min-maxing kind of autistic. Keeping them happy as well as the one you met would be a real nightmare.
>>
>>52178650
>>52178625
I think I'll try and contact the last dm. I was told he left because of school, but getting info from him should be good. I'll also probably try to meet the rest of them before a theoretical session 1.
I figure I'll make a very short test dungeon to figure out just how ludicrously overpowered they are.

I think I'll probably do it. It'll be dm practice, and at worst, greentext fodder.
>>
>>52178907
Definitely contact the last DM and tell us how it goes.

Reminds me of this one anon who posted a while back with his experience dming a game for kids in juvie.
>>
>>52179151
ill make sure to report back and let you know how it goes.
thanks for the advice dude.
>>
File: Pathfinder.png (397KB, 468x854px) Image search: [Google]
Pathfinder.png
397KB, 468x854px
>>52180522
Is it possible to talk to their handlers? Would be good to know specific needs/issues beforehand. If possible, work with them on the campaign. Roleplay can be a good form of therapy for mental issues, so ask about what lessons they might need to learn.

>System is 3.5
Oh, this explains a lot. You poor poor bastard.
>>
>>52181454
Currently all I've got is the offer. I'm gonna look into it and talk to people.
(Handlers, previous dm, whoever will supposedly be paying me, etc)
Both games I've played were 3.5, so at least I don't have to learn that much.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.