[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have never been here, nor is there a sticky, so I'm not

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_1316.jpg (61KB, 640x497px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1316.jpg
61KB, 640x497px
I have never been here, nor is there a sticky, so I'm not certain this post has anything to do with the board, but can someone give me all the beginner tips for Magic the Gathering? I understand the whole mana pool type thing but what're the special rules and such? Ty in advance.
>>
There is a little rule notebook with every deckpack you can buy, and there's

http://magic.wizards.com/en/gameplay/how-to-play

http://magic.wizards.com/en/content/strategy

In Wizards' own page.
>>
>>52162023
I don't really understand the whole "blocking" thing?
>>
File: Ricky.jpg (61KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Ricky.jpg
61KB, 1280x720px
>>52162110
Dude attacks you with a critter. You tell your critter to get in the way. They fight, one likely dies.

Not exactly rocket appliances.
>>
>>52162110
Opponent attacks you

You can choose which creatures you block with
You can block only one creature with a single creature (unless a card says otherwise)
You can use multiple creatures to block one creature, and if the attacking monster has "menace" you must block it with multiple creatures.

If you blocked with one creature, the creature you block with battles with the attacking creature, causing damage equal to their power to each other, unless otherwise stated (First Strike or Double Strike, or if a creature is removed)

If damage exceeds the toughness of the creature, the creature dies

If you're wondering why I'm recapping those rules:

If you block with multiple creatures, the attacker then chooses what creature takes damage first. If that creature dies, the attacker chooses the next target, that takes rest of the damage up to its toughness etc.
>>
>>52161862
>but can someone give me all the beginner tips for Magic the Gathering?

Run. It's not worth it. Just run.
>>
>>52162110
During your combat phase you can attack with any number of creatures that are untapped and do not have summoning sickness, once you decide what creatures you're attacking with you tap them. Your opponent can then choose to block with any of his untapped creatures. A blocking creature can only block one other creature at a time, but an attacking creature can be blocked by multiple blockers at once.

For example if you and your opponent both have two untapped creatures on the field and you attack with both of yours your opponent has three options:
>block each of your attackers with one of his blockers
>use both blockers to block one of yours while letting the other hit him directly
>or not block at all and take all the damage directly

When you play a creature card it has summoning sickness until the start of your next turn. Summoning sickness means it can't attack or use abilities that require it to tap itself. However it can still use any other abilities that it has and be tapped by other cards effects. Summoning sickness only applies to creatures, artifacts enchatments and lands can tap the turn they come into play.

As a final note there are two common abilities you'll run into that break these rules. A creature with Haste can ignore summoning sickness and tap and attack the turn it comes into play, and a creature with Vigilance does not get tapped when it attacks.
>>
>>52162543
>>52162379
>>52162228
ahhh, ezpz. one more question, how do auras work? I understand the card will give me flying but do I have to look up what that'll do or?
>>
>>52162543
Somewhat important distinction, all permanents summoning sickness unless you have controlled them since the beginning of your turn. Meaning that if something becomes a creature after you play it, it is still effected by summoning sickness.

As for the aura bits, you target a legal permanent(usually, but not always a creature). That aura becomes attached to that permanent and causes some sort of effect, with whatever card you are referring to it gains flying. The creature only gains this effect as long as the aura is attached to it.
>>
Also, there is often ask a judge threads here, GA is nice, and answers questions clearly.
>>
File: ringwardenowl.jpg (45KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
ringwardenowl.jpg
45KB, 265x370px
>>52162648
Auras have what they do written on them, but otherwise, yes, you'll need to look up things like flying if the Aura does not have reminder text.

There will often be reminder text, though.
>>
How do I track all the +1/-1 stuff? It says to put tokens on my cards, but my game didn't come with any tokens.
>>
>>52165296
You need to use some physical pieces, be creative. Most people I know (me included) just uses like 12mm dice.
>>
>>52161862
this whole fucking thread is a joke, right?
>>
>>52168371
I hope so
No one would ask /tg/ how to start playing magic, instead of reading the official rules.

If you are for real read the rules somewhere or download an app to do so you casual
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.