[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Want to run a Matrix campaign but what's the point if the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: matrix.jpg (125KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
matrix.jpg
125KB, 1280x720px
Want to run a Matrix campaign but what's the point if the players can literally learn anything they want? Should I set it mostly in the real world?
>>
>>52159957
Well the thing is, the enemy has the same capability.

Goddamn, the matrix stuff might just outclass Exalted in sheer craziness.
>>
>>52159957
> The game is set in two different worlds and uses a different system for each
I always wanted to try this.
>>
>>52159957
You can learn anything you want, sure. IF you have the disk for it...
>>
>>52159957

If players have total access to any knowledge or skill they'd desire, with only a few things locked off, the question is how to make it create interesting decisions.

Maybe each mind can only accommodate so much implanted knowledge? After a point, uploading a new skillset requires overwriting an old one, or you risk interfering with parts of the brain related to personality and the self. Sure, a player can load themselves up with any skill they want before a mission... But that doesn't mean they'll always have everything they need, so it'll be important for them to work together and figure out how to cover their bases and prepare for the unexpected.
>>
>>52160252
>the skill list is your loot table
GENIUS!
>>
>Tank, I need to learn kung-fu.
>Sorry, our free 30-day trial of kung-fu has expired!
>>
You can only fit a certain amount of skills/knowledge at a time. You can put more in but there's a chance you bluescreen.
>>
>>52159957

>players upgrade via data discs
>discs have to be found or earned which can be a whole game in itself
>players can only remember so many discs
>data dumps have a small chance to cause a hemorrhage

Also might work well against human enemies, but agents can do the same thing.
>>
>>52159957
Just set it in a time period before Neo appeared, and make it clear to the players from the start that none of their characters are secretly The One.
>>
>>52159957
Yeah, but you can only learn it if you're in contact with an operator and you block out some time to learn it. And I don't think there's any implication that it's permanent if it's one of those things like Trinity learning how to fly a helicopter - sure, she knows it then, but does she know it the next time she needs to?

Yeah, Neo knows kung fu but that's because he had to do all those training programs to learn it. You can learn some technical diagrams or how to fly a plane in 30 seconds, it's not like you can become an expert on it right away.

Plus, as other people have said, you can only learn it if your operator has the information at hand. If not, you're out of luck. You're especially out of luck if a bunch of squiddies are bearing down on your hovercraft and one of them gets through the hull and impales your operator on one of its arms.
>>
>>52160201
Even better, the enemy can change the information you're trying to learn
>agents are driving around in cars, you have to steal one (for whatever reason)
>you learn how to hotwire a car: connect these two wires
>agents get wind of your plan
>program changes how the car works so that you have to connect two different wires instead
>get electrocuted to death
>>
>>52159957
>but what's the point if the players can literally learn anything they want?
There's a solution that isn't explored in the canon of the Matrix trilogy but doesn't contradict it either: maximum capacity. You know how Neo went "Woah, I know Kung Fu!"? He still got his ass kicked by Morpheus later on. It's not explained, but a possible explanation is that what Morpheus had on Neo wasn't knowledge (they were both maxed out in that regard) but ability. Knowing how to do a certain kick or how to perform a certain grapple isn't enough to do it in the same way reading a manual on MMA techniques doesn't make you a world champion.

You can still have a level up system, but that doesn't reflect the character learning anything knew (the character already knows everything there is to know) but getting better at what he already knows. You know that Bruce Lee quote about the man who practiced one kick a thousand times? In a Matrix campaign a level 1 character vs a level 20 character would be a man who practiced all kicks once vs a man who practiced all kicks a thousand times. They both know the same kicks, one is just simply better at them.
>>
File: сон.jpg (207KB, 950x609px) Image search: [Google]
сон.jpg
207KB, 950x609px
>>52160395
Or even better: center the story around Morpheus finding them and being certain that one of the players is the One, the story unfolds, the crew goes through some adventures as the One is trying to unlock his full potential, but it turns out Morpheus was wrong - the "One" was only a "candidate", not the real deal. And they all horribly die due to Morpehuses error, with only M surviving and continuing his search.

Kinda gives some weight/explanation to his line from the original movie:

"You are the One, *charname*. You see, you may have spent the last few years looking for me, but I have spent my entire life looking for you."
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.