[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How would you guys create a setting in which both Old Western

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: 1489010372600.jpg (222KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1489010372600.jpg
222KB, 1280x1024px
How would you guys create a setting in which both Old Western cowboys coexist with Knights and high fantasy? more importantly, how would you mesh these two cultures into a seemingly believable world?
>>
I wouldn't
>>
>>52156379
>more importantly, how would you mesh these two cultures into a seemingly believable world?
this is much more feasible than having the two coexist. Just have a frontier area like the west but maybe colder, and have the settlers have a knightly tradition.
>>
>>52156379
I make the cowboys and knights into sci fi versions with space magic.
>>
>>52156379
Add special metals like adamant and mithril.
Remove smokeless powder.
???
Profit.
>>
>>52156379

>make three continents
>one it your standard medieval swords and sorcery faire
>one is more advanced with guns and shit
>they both try to conquer a wild and untamed third continent with crusaders, misssionaries, conquistadores, cowboys and forestmen
>give the third continent any flavor you want, injuns, thounsand and one night arabs, mongols, african folklore
>if you want to go the extra mile, divide up the crusaders and cowboys into several flavors
>various colonial breakaway states for the cowboys, cajun, vermont republic, vaqueros, gauchos
>various knightly favors, ignore the general french/british thing for extra brownie points
>iberian princedoms, reconquista, caballeros
>livonian brothers of the sword, nothern crusades
>polish hussars with wings
>hungarian knights,black army, pagan uprisings, slightly eastern themes mixed in,
>normanns, just converted viking knights going around the world conquering the randomest shit
>stop being autistic about gunpowder in a fantasy setting, guns and armor coexisted for fucking centuries
>>
File: IMG_0019.jpg (308KB, 800x1113px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0019.jpg
308KB, 800x1113px
>>52156379
Look at Eastern Europe in the 1600s. There weren't cowboys as such, but there were plenty of armed sword- and gunslinging individuals along with more traditional knights. Huge expanses of open land dottes with small towns. Old empires disintegrating (like the Mexican empire did in the old west period) and new nations forming (the US) with plenty of lawlessness in between. Plenty of opportunity for playing out some western tropes.

I recommend "By Fire and Swor" (the book, not the game) as a source of inspiration for the period.
>>
>>52156379
The Dark Tower.
>>
>>52156937
>new nations forming (the US)
Duh, of course the US did not form in 1600s eastern europe, I meant new nations forming as a parallel to how the US expanded in the old west.
>>
File: caliber.jpg (59KB, 478x737px) Image search: [Google]
caliber.jpg
59KB, 478x737px
Caliber from Radical Comics is pretty much this.
>>
>>52156379
Knights have enchanted gear, cowboys just have guns
>>
>>52158261

You know that plate armor and guns coexisted for centuries, right? There is nothing worse than uneducated realismfags.
>>
>>52158379
:^)
>>
>>52156379
knights conquer a native-themed region similar to cortez. some war-stuff goes down back in their country so most of the knights return. the "americas" - in the midst of a colonization and in the middle of adapting all of the knights' technological advances - end up forming their own western-style society. big gold rushes, lawlessness, and the start of enormous trade factions.

from here, you can either leave it as-is, with whatever knights that are there being the ones who stayed, rather than return to their own country. or you can have the war-stuff back home solved, and the knights are just now returning to finish up their colonization - only to find the west is now much more than they bargained for.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.