[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rate each set Innistrad-forward (on a scale of 1 to 10) in terms

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

File: MTGlogo.jpg (364KB, 1913x610px) Image search: [Google]
MTGlogo.jpg
364KB, 1913x610px
Rate each set Innistrad-forward (on a scale of 1 to 10) in terms of:

A. Power Level

B. Limited Environment

C. Standard Environment

D. Impact on Modern, Legacy, and/or Vintage
>>
It would be easier if you posted them so I don't have to google them
>>
>>52146916
I only care about limited, and got back into playing at RtR, but here goes. Also scores out of 10 are dumb so Im just going to rank them, feel free to your own numbers on depending on how well the best compares to a 10 and how the worst compares to a 0.

Kaladesh
Kahns of Takir
Theros
Oath of the Gatewatch
Aether Revolt
Shadows over Innistrad
M14
Eldrich Moon
Born of the Gods
RtR
Dragons of Tarkir
Journey Into Nyx
Gatecrash
Magic Origins
Fate Reforged
Battle for Zendikar
M15
Dragon's Maze
>>
oh my god that's so many sets to rate. That's like 20 sets with 4 numerical ratings each
>>
>>52148908
best get cracking then
>>
>>52148896
So is it least to greatest or greatest to least?
>>
File: magic is dead.png (13KB, 919x146px) Image search: [Google]
magic is dead.png
13KB, 919x146px
>>52146916
Zeroes across the board. That was easy.
>>
I'm not breaking down the grades into subsections and I'm not ranking core sets OK

ISD - 10
DKA - 6
AVR - 1
RTR - 8
GTC - 6
DGM - 2
THS - 7
BNG - 6
JOU - 4
KTK - 9
FRF - 6
DTK - 5
BFZ - 1
OGW - 2
SOI - 6
EMN - 6
KLD - 7
AER - 6

I actually really like the design of Shadows and Kaladesh blocks but I knocked those down a couple points for being so bad for Standard. I definitely think Theros block is underrated, although I'm also definitely fuzzy on which cards were in which set for Theros and RTR blocks and I don't care enough to look anything up
>>
>>52149025
Kaladesh best, Dragon's Maze worst
>>
>>52149193
suprised to see BFZ and OGW so low, were they really that bad for constructed?
>>
File: 1482298605341.jpg (52KB, 634x650px) Image search: [Google]
1482298605341.jpg
52KB, 634x650px
>>52149248
They brought back Landfall. Yay Landfall!

They brought back Allies, and added some new handy ability words to them. But they were weaker than before, and they weren't especially strong to begin with, being basically another attempt at doing Slivers-but-not-Slivers.

They gave us Awaken, a novel way of doing man-lands, but goddamn, we've done "It's a land... but wait, it's also a creeeature!! Woah!" before. It's not interesting anymore. It isn't bad, but they stuck it on basically random instants and sorceries with no mechanical connection.

They gave us Devoid, a mechanic that didn't do a damn thing most of the time, and only comes up in minor trivial cases outside the set. (A "black" devoid card can die to doom blade and get around pro-black, how often does this even matter these days?)

They gave us converge, which was an attempt at a more interesting Sunburst. In a set with a fucking colorless theme. This was a stupid idea to start with and wasn't even executed all that well.

They gave us Ingest and the Processor mechanic, an interesting use of the Exile zone, but none of it will ever see play outside of the block. Oblivion Sewer maybe sees some play in Commander?

They gave us Surge, a mechanic that's only relevant in multiplayer, and stuck it in Blue/Red for some reason. Sure hope you and your friend are only playing Izzet!

They gave us Support, another fucking named "mechanic" for handing out +1/+1 counters. Holy SHIT when the FUCK are they going to stop with those.

They changed the 0/1 Eldrazi Spawn to 1/1 Eldrazi Scions, for no reason that I can discern, which makes it goddamn confusing playing with both RotE and BFZ/OGW cards in the same deck.
>>
File: pb is not amused.png (143KB, 810x810px) Image search: [Google]
pb is not amused.png
143KB, 810x810px
>>52150017
They didn't bring back Quests, Traps, or the heavy use of Equipment. I assume because Zendikar is no longer "adventure world", because the "war" theme replaced its old theme. Okay, fine. I guess the block is supposed to be "Return to Rise of the Eldrazi" and not "Return to Zendikar/Worldwake." But then why bring back Landfall? Why bring back land creatures? Why print a new Omnath? The focus is all over the place.

They didn't bring back Annihilator, the signature mechanic for the big Eldrazi. The reason? It's too unfun. Having played against Annihilator, I agree that it is tremendously unfun when my opponent attacks and I have to sacrifice some of my stuff. It's also extremely unfun when my opponent attacks and I have no blockers, but that happens all the time. It's extremely unfun when an expensive spell gets countered, but that happens all the time. Unfun is supposed to be a part of the game. It's what happens when somebody is winning, and usually that player is having TONS of fun. Having played a game where I Rite of Replicated Ulamog's Crusher and swung, I feel that the fun of winning with Annihilator is pretty fucking worth it.

They fucked up the new colorless mana symbol, introducing it mid-block when it's the symbol for the theme of the whole fucking block. Leaks didn't help - why is WOTC so fucking leaky by the way? The number of people who mistook the new symbol for some new Snow-like thing, or worse, a sixth color, was absolutely ASTOUNDING.

They fucked up the Expeditions. I mean literally, the fucked up the physical cards themselves. The cutting didn't work right on the new foiling process and most cards have a really fucked up edge, usually on the right side. How do you fuck up the process of physically making the cards after being in the business for so long? Wizards isn't run out of Peter Atkinson's basement anymore, I expect better from them at this point.

And last but not least, the Eldrazi Winter.
>>
File: Uhh.jpg (105KB, 400x630px) Image search: [Google]
Uhh.jpg
105KB, 400x630px
>>52150042
Let me add anon.

They also significantly lowered the powerlevel of the set overall

No lightning strike reprint, no 1 mana discard like despise, duress, iok, or thoughtsseize, CONDITIONAL rampant growth and no heros downfall or instant speed unconditional removal

They made new dual lands, but had them in the same standard as fetches with almost no land hate like blood moon. This made 4+color goodstuff decks top tier, and expensive as hell due to all the fetches you had throw in to grab all your dual lands, which in turn slowed the game down cause of the fetching and shuffling each turn.

The best planeswalker of the set, or block even, is so strong and does so much that people that are okay with standard bans kind of want him to get btfo'd by a ban, including myself.

Everything is almost literal garbage minus a few niche eldrazi that modern uses + Newlamog

Then Oath comes out with the nonsense mentioned, fucks up modern with what he said Eldrazi Winter cause of the fair costed eldrazi that were pretty good being cheated out super early due to things like eldrazi temple and eye of ugin.

Hype up a huge scene with strong sea creatures summoned by Kiora and the strongest sea creature to fight kozi so sea creature fags like myself hope for a dope new Lorthos or other shit, gets killed off in lore, doesnt mean he cant get a card still considering Kozi and Ulamog
also die. No good sea creatures in the end or any even.

And to add from before, no decent 3 drop board wipes minus radiant but that forces you to play 3 colors, no read the bones, no divination, and no good counter spells.
>>
Triple BFZ drafts was one my favorites limited environment. No joke

AER-AER-KLD is also friggin sweet
>>
>>52150017
>Surge, a mechanic that's only relevant in multiplayer
You are on your own team you know. You can cast one spell, then cast something for its surge cost.
>>
Everything that isn't Ravnica -> Lorwyn is shit/10
>>
>>52152071
I don't like aer as much as triple kaladesh. I feel like the format got even more aggressive, and there's a lot less "crazy" combos/synergies you can pull off. Now it's just draft red or green aggro deck and hope you win the die roll.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.